Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1833937 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #18360 on: July 22, 2014, 07:02:27 pm »
So.

We going out on the 1st weekend of August or what?

Get yer heads together and pick a route a start time a day and lets have a dabble..eh.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18361 on: July 22, 2014, 08:06:46 pm »
What a day, Frodsham to Llangollen and back. My skin feels so tight, think I might have caught the sun a bit.
Had a pint on the way home, lovely stuff.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18362 on: July 22, 2014, 08:08:58 pm »
What a day, Frodsham to Llangollen and back. My skin feels so tight, think I might have caught the sun a bit.
Had a pint on the way home, lovely stuff.
Did you climb the Shoe or Panorama?

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18363 on: July 22, 2014, 08:12:40 pm »
Did you climb the Shoe or Panorama?

Shoe mate, Brutal. Not been up there since last summer and that was with the wife in the car. The chips are still shite at the cafe.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18364 on: July 22, 2014, 08:20:06 pm »
So.

Get yer heads together and pick a route a start time a day and lets have a dabble..eh.

If I can get a new bike lined up and broken in by then. I am up for that.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18365 on: July 22, 2014, 08:20:40 pm »
Shoe mate, Brutal. Not been up there since last summer and that was with the wife in the car. The chips are still shite at the cafe.
it's horrible innit.

Nae breeze as usual?

Did you drop down back into Llangollen?

When I climb it now it's always from the Ruthin side so I end up dropping down the Old Shoe...great twisty technical descent on a singlepath road onto a cattle grid and then you're going over 50 mph into Pentredewr. ;D

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18366 on: July 22, 2014, 08:27:12 pm »
it's horrible innit.

Nae breeze as usual?

Did you drop down back into Llangollen?

When I climb it now it's always from the Ruthin side so I end up dropping down the Old Shoe...great twisty technical descent on a singlepath road onto a cattle grid and then you're going over 50 mph into Pentredewr. ;D

Zero breeze today Dave, think thats what made it so cruel. We go Mexico twice a year, and I'll tell you this..... its more humid and sticky out there today then it is in Mexico.

Yeah, headed back into Llangollen and had a pint in the Corn Mill. You can take you bike onto the balcony thing they've got there so it doens't get nicked, and it was in the shade.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18367 on: July 22, 2014, 08:47:19 pm »
Zero breeze today Dave, think thats what made it so cruel. We go Mexico twice a year, and I'll tell you this..... its more humid and sticky out there today then it is in Mexico.

Yeah, headed back into Llangollen and had a pint in the Corn Mill. You can take you bike onto the balcony thing they've got there so it doens't get nicked, and it was in the shade.
Glad you had a good day,J.

Next time you're out there go up Panorama...the view across the Dee Valley is stunning and the roads mostly free of traffic.

Offline Eddobald

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18368 on: July 22, 2014, 08:55:44 pm »
Just a quick climb today, although quick might not be the right word as I'm still a bit slow compared to you guys..  :)

Really hated the world the last hundred metres, but fell in love again when reaching the top and looking down on the coast bathing in the sun.  Felt good before starting the climb, and told my mate we would have to do it at least 2-3 times  today, but quickly changed my mind when my legs started screaming halfway up.  :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/169402381

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18369 on: July 22, 2014, 09:00:35 pm »
Really hated the world the last hundred metres, but fell in love again when reaching the top and looking down on the coast bathing in the sun.

Thats why we do it mate.

Brilliant picture. Taken on phone?

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #18370 on: July 22, 2014, 09:06:28 pm »
Just a quick climb today, although quick might not be the right word as I'm still a bit slow compared to you guys..  :)

Really hated the world the last hundred metres, but fell in love again when reaching the top and looking down on the coast bathing in the sun.  Felt good before starting the climb, and told my mate we would have to do it at least 2-3 times  today, but quickly changed my mind when my legs started screaming halfway up.  :)

Lovely view. I've sent a request to follow you on Strava ;)

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #18371 on: July 22, 2014, 09:15:23 pm »
So.

Already gave youse lot my date for August (the 30th)  :) Can't make 1st weekend unfortunately. By all means get out though if there is a few of yer  ;D
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18372 on: July 22, 2014, 09:15:24 pm »

Wouldn't be fun if it was easy well done mate.

Ta for the pic too,looks stunning there.

Offline Eddobald

• Main Stander
« Reply #18373 on: July 22, 2014, 09:19:04 pm »
picture taken on a phone, yes, and then down sized on the pc, so it doesn't really do the view any justice.  ;)

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18374 on: July 22, 2014, 09:19:18 pm »
Lovely view. I've sent a request to follow you on Strava ;)
As have i  :)
Hey Tony you've found the smiley button  ;D ;D ;D
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18375 on: July 22, 2014, 09:22:52 pm »
Already gave youse lot my date for August (the 30th)  :) Can't make 1st weekend unfortunately. By all means get out though if there is a few of yer  ;D
I thought that was just the revised scoot date.

Nae cycling for a month...oh hell no.Condolences brother. :)

I'm going out knee an all tomorra for a little one.

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18376 on: July 22, 2014, 09:29:17 pm »
I thought that was just the revised scoot date.

Nae cycling for a month...oh hell no.Condolences brother. :)

I'm going out knee an all tomorra for a little one.
Yeah that's right mate but it doesn't matter if it's the start of the monthly rides either? Not least to me anyhow  :)
Plenty of cycling Dave just not when you lot are out. Shifts eh  ::)
Just a little one ? We all know what that means  :wave

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #18377 on: July 22, 2014, 09:31:18 pm »
As have i  :)
Hey Tony you've found the smiley button  ;D ;D ;D
I have on the Desktop yea ;)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18378 on: July 22, 2014, 09:36:14 pm »
Yeah that's right mate but it doesn't matter if it's the start of the monthly rides either? Not least to me anyhow  :)
Plenty of cycling Dave just not when you lot are out. Shifts eh  ::)
Just a little one ? We all know what that means  :wave
As long as you're getting yer leg over.....

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18379 on: July 22, 2014, 09:37:18 pm »
Getting a hybrid for around £500 with the Cycle to Work Scheme. Will be mainly cycling on roads but, the odd trip down Hampstead Heath etc. Any recommendations? Can only get a bike from Evanscycles.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Eddobald

• Main Stander
« Reply #18380 on: July 22, 2014, 09:37:55 pm »
A good day cycling-wise for my hometown today, as a local kid signed his first pro contract with the Katusha team today.  Might have to actually watch some of tour de france with some interest in a few years.   :)

Funny thing is that one of my mates I'm cycling with was in the same cycle club as that guy when they were kids, and my mate's father was their coach.  I get to hear a lot of stories of what a great cyclist that guy is and always has been these days..  :)

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18381 on: July 22, 2014, 09:40:07 pm »
As long as you're getting yer leg over.....
:lmao
Actually she gets back from Benidorm tomorrow  ;)

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18382 on: July 22, 2014, 09:44:04 pm »
In April I set myself a challenge, and that was to do a 100 mile bike ride sometime this year.

Over the last couple of months I have been steadily upping the distances and recently have done rides of 63 miles, 67 miles, 71 miles, 75 miles and 88 miles.

When I done the 88 miler I knew I was ready for the 100.

Last night I went to bed at 8.30pm which was a waste of time, it was still light and was like a fucking oven in the bedroom.  Probably dropped off about 11pm.

Up at 3am and out the gate on my bike at 3.30am

102 miles done and the last 3 hours were pure torture, you could say it was rather warm.

You guys, Pheeny, Dave, Billy and all you keen cyclists who post in here knock hundred plus mile rides off all the time, and I'm amazed when I read about your rides.  This 102 mile on my hybrid bike does make me feel like I've done something canny good today    ;D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/547230636

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18383 on: July 22, 2014, 09:49:53 pm »
In April I set myself a challenge, and that was to do a 100 mile bike ride sometime this year.

Over the last couple of months I have been steadily upping the distances and recently have done rides of 63 miles, 67 miles, 71 miles, 75 miles and 88 miles.

Last night I went to bed at 8.30pm which was a waste of time, it was still light and was like a fucking oven in the bedroom.  Probably dropped off about 11pm.

102 miles done and the last 3 hours were pure torture, you could say it was rather warm.

You guys, Pheeny, Dave, Billy and all you keen cyclists who post in here knock hundred plus mile rides off all the time, and I'm amazed when I read about your rides.  This 102 mile on my hybrid bike does make me feel like I've done something canny good today    ;D

Ride Of The Year.

That simple.

Well done Paul.

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18384 on: July 22, 2014, 09:50:43 pm »
Paul mate that's a fantastic effort! Brilliant riding. Always thought you could do it once you got up into the 70's.
On a day like today of all days and on a heavy as fuck Jalopy that's quality cycling mate. Every bit as good as us lycra nobs let me tell you  :D
Seriously mate, great effort! And welcome to the hundred club  :wave

Offline Eddobald

• Main Stander
« Reply #18385 on: July 22, 2014, 09:57:31 pm »
Congratulations on your first 100+ ride! Impressive!

Glad we use the metric system over here, so it won't be as much of a torture getting my first 100+ ride...  ;)

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18386 on: July 22, 2014, 10:08:10 pm »
On 4 seperate occasions I went into a public toilet, filled a sink with cold water and dunked my head in it haha.   This is why I went out at 3.30am, to get as many miles in as I could before dinner time.  Since I got home I have drank 2 cups of coffee and 7 bottles of water and boat load of food.

I'd love a good road bike to see what I could really do.  It pisses me off when I'm going along on my hybrid and guys on road bikes pass me like I got 2 punctures haha, the fucking show offs     ;D

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18387 on: July 22, 2014, 10:11:50 pm »

Brilliant, well done.
Justice for the 96!

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18388 on: July 22, 2014, 10:12:29 pm »

I'd love a good road bike to see what I could really do.  It pisses me off when I'm going along on my hybrid and guys on road bikes pass me like I got 2 punctures haha, the fucking show offs     ;D

Time to trade up!
Justice for the 96!

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18389 on: July 22, 2014, 10:15:13 pm »
On 4 seperate occasions I went into a public toilet, filled a sink with cold water and dunked my head in it haha.   This is why I went out at 3.30am, to get as many miles in as I could before dinner time.  Since I got home I have drank 2 cups of coffee and 7 bottles of water and boat load of food.

Tell me you took the bike into the carsy? Long fuckin walk home if it got nicked  ;D I get some odd looks bringin the bike back out of the shitter  ;D That's the trouble with riding solo

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18390 on: July 22, 2014, 10:54:03 pm »

Well done mate! incredible riding, 100+ on a hybrid in this weather.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Online blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18391 on: July 22, 2014, 10:58:55 pm »

Great stuff Paul. :wellin

Now stop fucking about and get yourself a real bike.  ;D
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Online monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18392 on: July 22, 2014, 11:26:59 pm »
cheers mate. i've read bits and bats about a monthly rawk meet up in the north west? is that still happening? i'm working in london for the summer but hopefully back up to cheshire not long after.
Hopefully? what's wrong with London then?...is it cos you've moved round the corner from me ;)
Owe you a ride meet up but probably can't now til mid august

Simply superb effort Paul :wellin

Good luck to Archie from this and other thread as he starts a London - Paris tomorra
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18393 on: July 23, 2014, 12:01:45 am »
102 on a hybrid? Superb work Paul.
Cycling is hard work, by my word its rewarding. The sense of achievement is fantastic.

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18394 on: July 23, 2014, 12:26:11 am »
Hope you guys could help me out quickly, I want to change the brake pads/shoes, I have a BTWIN Triban 3, can I replace the brake shoe with any other?

For example, would getting this be okay?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-55mm-cartridge-brake-shoe-shimano/rp-prod55807

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18395 on: July 23, 2014, 03:11:00 am »
Hope you guys could help me out quickly, I want to change the brake pads/shoes, I have a BTWIN Triban 3, can I replace the brake shoe with any other?

For example, would getting this be okay?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-55mm-cartridge-brake-shoe-shimano/rp-prod55807
yeah.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18396 on: July 23, 2014, 03:14:09 am »
Getting a hybrid for around £500 with the Cycle to Work Scheme. Will be mainly cycling on roads but, the odd trip down Hampstead Heath etc. Any recommendations? Can only get a bike from Evanscycles.
go back about 10 pages and look for my reply to this question from another poster there's a picture of a Ridgeback fully loaded hybrid

Sorry I can't look I'm just getting ready to go out

I'll leave a more detailed answer later
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:32:41 am by dave 5516 »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18397 on: July 23, 2014, 03:14:54 am »
90 minutes sleep....why can't I get to sleep before I'm up early?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18398 on: July 23, 2014, 07:26:23 am »
Tell me you took the bike into the carsy? Long fuckin walk home if it got nicked  ;D I get some odd looks bringin the bike back out of the shitter  ;D That's the trouble with riding solo
Yes Billy I did, I always do and I never knew there were others who done that haha.  People can give me all the strange looks they want, it doesn't bother me none.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18399 on: July 23, 2014, 07:34:35 am »
The last time I was in the Tesco I'm at now I took my bike into the disabled toilets with me...

Like I give a fuck.

Just been told by a manager here I can't being my bike into the store....

That's not right,I can look.... :)

I love  being a c*nt.