Author Topic: 20 Years Ago Today - Liverpool 3 Everton 1 (FA Cup Final 1986)  (Read 3894 times)

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
The 1st ever all Merseyside FA Cup Final........

Everton took the lead through Gary Lineker after 27 minutes, but a second-half fight-back by Liverpool through goals by Ian Rush (2) and Craig Johnston clinched the cup and the double for the 'Mighty Reds'.

We travelled down early sat morning on the train to Euston (leaving my 8½ month pregnant wife back in the north west), with our black market tickets waiting with an aunty in London - Derby County stamped on the back  :wanker

Beers before the game (of course) - actually got stopped going in a boozer in the city because we had colours on.......trying to explain this is the 'friendly final' got us nowhere and onto Wembley way to a sea of red and blue  :D

Didn't see the lads climbing the walls, etc... until we got home to the video at night.

We had standing tickets behind the goal and the feeling before we scored our 1st was that Everton were controlling the game - Big Jan turned the game around in a stunning last half hour performance.

And of course the usual cup final sunshine  ;D

2 weeks later a baby girl to complete a glorious may 1986 treble  :)

Your stories of that glorious day.............  ;D
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
Re: 20 Years Ago Today - Liverpool 3 Everton 1 (FA Cup Final 1986)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 10:09:18 am »
What a great day, I was 13 and can remember it like it was yesterday. Ian Rush hitting his second and our third goal into the corner of the net past Bobby Mimms & smashing a camera in the process. Or the Liverpool fans before the match climbing into Wembley stadium with the help of their mates and a load of liverpool scarves tied together. (BTW does anyone have a pic of that?) Because appart from the game itself, the image of those fans climbing into the ground is one that really sticks in my mind.

Oh and the Liverpool and Everton fans singing 'Merseyside, Merseyside, Merseyside' over the top of the National anthem.

Also On this day in 1978, Kenny Dalglish netted the only goal of the game as we triumphed over Club Brugge at Wembley, to retain the European Cup.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 10:56:59 am by RedBoywonder »
Justice for the 96.

Offline Peter_Evo

• King of the Vegetables (though not salads).
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the Sun. Sullies the memories of the 96
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 11:48:35 am »
WINNING THE DOUBLE!

On the glorious tenth of May as we walked down Wembley Way, we're full of laughter joy and glee, it's Everton one and Liverpool three!

1986: Having won the League a week earlier at Chelsea, this was our chance to win the Double for the first time, and who better to do it against than the Toffs! Make no mistake, Everton were a fine side and this was going to be a very hard game.

We got a very early train from Wigan on the Friday. Three Reds (me, Stevo and John Evans), two Blues (John Twist and John Mac) and one Wolves supporter (Mally Taylor) arrived in Euston at about ten o'clock. An hour or so was killed by me taking photo's of the then fourteen-year old Stevo outside Euston (how we laugh at those photo's now) before starting our weekend binge in the George. We left the George at about two o'clock and went to a couple of other pubs in North London. I'm not sure exactly where they were as I wasn't very familiar with London at the time.
We arrived at our hotel in Hampstead at about three o'clock and proceedeed to take more drink! The Norwich City team and directors were staying at our hotel and I had a good gab to the then manager Ken Brown who was a very nice guy. We later went to what I can only describe as the weirdest place on earth: Camden Palace! I mean, just what the hell was going on there! There were all kinds of strange people in there; and the music, I'd never heard anything like it. I'm a lot more tolerant, mellow I suppose, so it wouldn't bother me now, but then!
Anyway, after a couple of hours of having my mind broadened we returned to our hotel where we drank 'til about three in the morning. How we all managed to get up for breakfast I don't know, but we did. We left quite early so as the young Stevo, who was having his first taste of Wembley, could savour the atmosphere; I just wanted a pint!

It was the first ever all-Merseyside FA Cup Final and everybody was determined to enjoy the occasion. Reds did seem to outnumber Blues as there looked to be more of us in their end than them in our end. "Merseyside, Merseyside, Merseyside" rang out around the stadium, although I do feel that some Evertonians were just trying to keep it at, "Everton, Everton, Everton" but that is purely a personal opinion.

Gary Gillespie was pronounced unfit to play on the eve of the match due to a stomach upset, so our line-up was: Grobbelaar, Lawrenson, Nicol, Hansen, Beglin, Johnston, Molby, MacDonald, Whelan, Dalglish, Rush.

We started the game brightly, missing a couple of good chances, but the game settled down to a midfield stalemate. In the 28th minute Kenny Dalglish lost the ball in midfield; Reid swept the ball marvellously upfield to Lineker whose initial shot was brilliantly saved by Grobelaar, but Lineker being the superb striker he was pounced on the rebound to put Everton a goal ahead. The half-time score was just about right, but great drama was just around the corner!

Twelve minutes into the second half Jim Beglin intercepted a sloppy pass from Stevens. Beglin passed to Jan Molby and the great Dane expertly played Rush in who netted superbly from an acute angle. The turning point of the game came four minutes later when Hansen's poor clearance was turned towards goal by Sharp. Grobbelaar, stranded in no man's land, seemed to have no
chance of making a save, but a prodigious leap which Brucie later described as his "kangaroo jump" saw the ball over the bar.

Spurred on by this the Reds went for the throat. After 63 minutes Molby, who was having an inspired game, played the ball across goal for Johnston to put us ahead. Our end was rocking! Everton had gone and from now on there was only going to be one winner. Kendall's last throw of the gambler's dice was to substitute full-back Stevens for striker Heath. This served only to give us more space. After 84 minutes the Everton defence was wide open when more good work from Molby sent Ronnie Whelan clear to give Rushie the sort of chance he thrived on.

So that was it, 3-1. A great comeback by the Reds after Everton had been the better team in the first-half. The scenes of celebration in our end were amazing.

When we got back to the hotel in Hampstead it was party time and I must say that the Blues with us took defeat very well. They must have been absolutely gutted to finish runners-up to us in both competitions they expected to win (I'm not laughing, honest) but they joined in the drinking binge. We later went to a pub nearby where Stevo was asked to leave as the landlord thought he was my rent-boy! I tried to explain that he was my son but as he was only fourteen anyway the bouncer insisted, in a bouncer kind of way, that he left. I sent him back to the hotel with a couple of bottles of ale to keep him happy; I brought the lad up well!

We drank 'til five in the morning back at the hotel and I went to bed a very happy man.
When we got home John Evans, me, Big Ev and John's delectable wife Denise went to the Derby Arms in Skem for a big celebration. More ale flowed back at my house and the four of us plus Stevo went outside with the boy's big flag for an all-singing all-dancing hour of fun and frolic!
As I've said before, my ex-wife Ev had many faults but she was a good Red.

If you walk down Goodison Road, hard luck stories you'll be told.
There's not a trophy to be seen, 'cos Liverpool have swept them clean!

What a weekend that was!

96 Liverpool fans lost their lives at Hillsborough. Thousands more were deeply affected. The Sun said Liverpool fans robbed their own dead and urinated on policemen and other fans doing their best to save them. The Sun said Liverpool fans were to blame for causing the crush by turning up ticketless and drunk. The Sun told lies. DON'T BUY THE SUN!

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 12:30:18 pm »
Ahhh the memories.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 12:34:26 pm »
Some great posts on here. I do remember the day, but I wasn't there. I was a young 6 year old watching it on the telly with my dad and grandad. I remember walking out the room when Lineker scored and didn't go back to watch until we equalised - now there's fickleness for you!!

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 12:35:48 pm »
We were full of joy and full of glee............            ;D
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Mark R

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 01:10:52 pm »
Remember Grobbelar and Beglin almost getting into a punch-up early in the second half when we were still 1-0 down also.

Offline Doogie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 01:25:31 pm »
I was 8 when it happened, went down the park with my mate who was an Everton fan, played a bit of football, he was Lineker I was Grobbelaar in goal. Came home and watched it on the TV...I just remember the sunshine, and cheering as Rush scored, laughing as Johnstone tried to claim the 1st Rush goal...was a good day.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 01:35:51 pm »
Was a fantastic day out. I came back on leave from germany for it, and got down in a coach from Canny farm full of reds and blues.

Remember seeing a load of reds twat some posh dolly bird who was touting tickets outside the ground. Ran off with loads of them as her so called minders looked on bewildered.

I had a ticket for the everton end but swapped it (and £20 which was a lot then) for right behind the goal in our end.

Actually loved the walk down Wembley Way.  Happy days!  ;D
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline sjw

• Boys Pen
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 02:57:41 pm »
oh what a day
i was 14, and told my mum that i was going with older mates, cos i'd never have been allowed to go on my own..no-one else could get tickets in my class at school
went down from lancaster on the 7am train and got chatting with some lads who had loads of cans which they were happy to share out!
remember walking around wembley (first time there), soaking in the atmosphere and i remember the noise of the overhead airship drowning out the singing on wembley way
got in the ground really really early, was stood in the liverpool end, right behind the goal right behind a barrier - best view in the house.
90 minutes went by in a flash - when rushie knocked the camera over we knew that was it and i knew that life didnt get much better than this!
 :)finally got home that night and mum said - 'nice time dear?'. i was like 'yeah, not bad'...

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 03:45:32 pm »
Ahhh the memories.

indeed sir!..indeed!

Offline Red Floyd

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 03:55:12 pm »
What a great day ...

Always remember the streets of London about an hour after the end of the game and a big load of fellas waving flags and scarves singing:

one nill down
three one up
rushy scored
and we won the cup

(to the tune of scousers here, scousers there, scousers every f*ckin where)

- ha ha it was euphoria ... our fans really knew how to celebrate back in the 80's !!!

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 03:57:52 pm »
Brilliant,

I didn't go, but I remember it was a marvelous couple of days in Liveprool, remember all the street parties? Lots of kids in their Liverpool kits and one or two in their Everton kits, no chance of that happening now.

At half time I went upstairs and cried my eyes out and prayed to God (this always works in cup finals by the way) and sure enough, we won the cup...

Magic
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Mr Swifticles

• Anny Roader
  • Please Get Off The Stage!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 04:19:58 pm »
28 years today we beat bruge and won the european cup for the 2nd time ;-)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 04:23:37 pm by andrew_m_swift »
Your Dreams Are Our Reality!

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 04:25:41 pm »
Memories of Liverpool fans sneaking in the dangerous way over a wall!! And I'm sure there was some on the outer roof or was that a dream?

Brucie describing his save as "jumping out of the bushes"

Rush knocking over the camera on his third goal.

And the travelling kop singing "Are you watching Manchester?"

Great great days
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 04:31:21 pm »
28 years today we beat bruge and won the european cup for the 2nd time ;-)
start your own thread  ;)

:scarf
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline Red Floyd

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 04:32:39 pm »
... and 100,000 fans singing "merseyside, merseyside, merseyside" as the 2 teams came out the tunnel ..  sent a shiver down the spine!!!

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 04:34:39 pm »
... and 100,000 fans singing "merseyside, merseyside, merseyside" as the 2 teams came out the tunnel ..  sent a shiver down the spine!!!

Wouldn't happen now..!
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 04:46:47 pm »
A great day out that was. Went with my Dad and his mates. Drove down in a car.

I remember the mexican waves. And that was a month or so before Mexico 86.

Yeah the 'merseyside' chants are for the scrap book. Too much bitterness in the air for that to make a return...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 05:42:05 pm by alfonso »
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline killer1971

• Kemlynite
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 05:09:33 pm »
My favourite Liverpool FA cup final out of the six I've been to so far, purely because for the first 57 minutes we were barely in the game and i couldn't see us levelling it, let alone going on to score three. I remember being in block J/K around the far end of the stadium which gave a brilliant view of Rush's second goal past Mimms. Although I have very fond memories of '89 & '01 for the dramatic nature of the victories, 1986 will always be special because at that time I never thought Liverpool were ever going to win the FA cup again.

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 10:06:58 pm »
i have wonderful memories of  a great weekend down there,the win over the bitters that day was my finest game & was the fondest of all memories i've ever spent watching the reds.

i've watched over 300 games home & away following the reds & this eclipses them all,even last years CL triumph.

i'll knock a few lines together & share the memories soon. :)