Author Topic: Brazil - Are they all they're cracked up to be?  (Read 7984 times)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Brazil - Are they all they're cracked up to be?
« on: April 12, 2006, 04:31:03 pm »

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1750190,00.html

Some might call it a crisis. Brazil, clear favourites to retain the World Cup in Germany this summer, have several key players out of form and under fire from the media. They have problems in goal, central defence, midfield and attack - and their manager is even worried about the world's best footballer, Ronaldinho, being over-played. Can they put everything right in the next two months? Amy Lawrence reports

Sunday April 9, 2006
The Observer

A who's who of international football went on a European tour last week. With the World Cup looming, the Champions League quarter-finals proved essential viewing for a host of coaches looking to hone their squads.

Italy's Marcello Lippi played the host in Milan, popping into Mr. Ferguson's hotel to pass on a couple of bottles of wine. France's Raymond Domenech casually took in a couple of matches, doing his best to look like an ageing pop star with his jeans, untucked shirt and shaggy haircut. Sweden's Lars Lagerback flew in to check up on a couple of his key players. But none had quite as many notes to make as Brazil's Carlos Alberto Parreira. Italy may have had three teams in the quarter-finals, but there were 13 Italian players in the eight starting line-ups compared with 19 Brazilians - the biggest contingent by far. A positive sign for Parreira? Not necessarily.

His scouting trips to Europe this season have revealed a multitude of worries. From his expected starting line-up in Germany, there is only one player whose excellence is beyond debate - the peerless Ronaldinho. As for the rest, the form guide is littered with inconsistency, injury, complacency and some downright awful displays.

Goalkeeper Dida has developed a tendency to flap. Playing for Milan last week, he made two horribly fluffed attempted clearances that had the San Siro gasping and should have been punished by Lyon. He is having a crisis of confidence, with Gazzetta dello Sport stating, 'his feats have been replaced by mistakes'.

Right-back Cafu, who turns 36 on the eve of the finals, has just returned from knee ligament surgery and is short of fitness. Left-back Roberto Carlos, so regularly embarrassed at Real Madrid this season, is losing defensive composure at a rate of knots. After he was sent off against Barcelona last weekend, Real made a striking improvement. But as Tostao, the 1970 World Cup striker pointed out: 'There isn't a convincing substitute for Roberto Carlos.' Serginho, who has been playing that position with more defensive acumen for Milan, is 34, and Parreira is conscious his squad is already old enough. 'If we have a last-minute emergency we can contact Serginho,' he said.

At the heart of defence the form of Lucio, a powerhouse at Bayern Munich, has dipped from his force-of-nature best. But that is a minor concern compared with the issue of who partners him. Neither of the two contenders from Bayer Leverkusen is in good shape. Kicker magazine's critique underlines the bafflement that Parreira can find nobody steadier. 'Juan and Roque Junior are both Brazilian internationals and one of them is even a World Cup winner, but they often look anything but champions of the world. They have gone from being solid defenders to grilled chickens, and from stress-resistant ball artists to security risks in front of their own goal.' Juan looks likely to get the nod as the lesser of two evils. As Brazil's top TV commentator famously said of Roque Junior: 'Every time the ball is crossed into the box it's "God help us all".'

Defence is obviously Brazil's problem area, so it was a blow for Parreira to see midfield shield Emerson made to look geriatric by Arsenal. On the creative side of midfield, wonderboy Kaka has lost a shade of the sparkle that accompanied his emergence on to the big stage at Milan - he has been performing in flashes rather than dictating games - and although Ze Roberto has been effective for Bayern Munich he is less influential than one of the talents he keeps out the team, Juninho Pernambucano.

And finally to the goalscorers, Ronaldo and Adriano. In a nutshell, they look like two unhappy footballers. One is carrying too much around his waistline, the other too much on his shoulders. Adriano's private life is a mess. Newspaper gossip has centred on rumours of a split from his pregnant girlfriend and critics lambasted him for overindulging in nights out - jokes on the popular television show Controcampo suggested he was playing badly because he was having too much sex with prostitutes. Adriano, needless to say, did not see the funny side. According to his Inter team-mate Ivan Cordoba: 'He has the quality to become the best in the world, but has had so many problems. His life changed completely and that is not easy.' Adriano has mislaid his natural verve.

Meanwhile, back in Brazil, the merry band of footballing superheroes are fronting all manner of advertising campaigns, cashing in on the fever as the country aims for 'Hexa Campeon', their sixth World Cup crown. In a commercial for Banco Santander, a group including Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Robinho bang on about being 'the best in the world'. Easier said than done right now.

They are all talking a better game than they are playing. 'I hope to win the tournament by scoring as many goals as possible,' enthuses Ronaldo. 'I think Brazil are building a very, very strong team,' adds Roberto Carlos. 'I have a simple message to our fans: Don't worry - I'll be doing everything possible to bring home the Hexa,' claims Adriano.

The general view among Brazilians is that the players are saving themselves for the World Cup. But, just because it worked last time around - when Brazil were so listless in the build-up to World Cup 2002 they almost failed to qualify, and we all know what happened next - does not mean they can turn it on again when it matters. Parreira can content himself, though, that Cafu has played only 14 matches for Milan this season, Ronaldo 24 for Real Madrid.

'There are still more than two months until the start of the World Cup and we believe that before our first game in Germany, the players will be back to their best form,' argues Parreira. 'Dida has made some mistakes, but he has a lot of experience and has participated in three World Cups. Cafu is exceptional physically and I am convinced he will be a central figure at the World Cup again. No one has been better than Kaka in the last three years. It's not fair when Adriano gets all the blame for what's wrong at Inter. When he plays for Brazil he is transformed.

'I'm sure that Ronaldo will have a great World Cup, because he's a player for special moments. Ronaldo enjoys great personal challenges. It would be a big let-down if he did not have a great World Cup. Ronaldo has to lead and has to be our reference point. He has to take on this responsibility. In the World Cup, it's absolutely fundamental to have players with experience. If you just take a group of youngsters to the World Cup, you're not going to get anywhere.'

In Ronaldo's case, the comparison with 2002 is trotted out as evidence against the doubters: a knee injury kept him out for much of the season and he finished the World Cup as top scorer. Few, though, seem to care that he was 25 last time round, and had unfinished business with the World Cup. Now he is 29 and jaded. Last weekend's sensational goal against Barcelona was a reminder of the standards he has fallen below. Parreira might be convinced Ronaldo will cruise again, but others are not. 'He's too old and he carries too many kilos,' observed Michel Platini. Ronaldo responded by saying: 'Zidane has won more than Platini and tells me he's just a jealous guy.'

Parreira will not tinker with his favoured formula. Brazil's manager is a conservative sort, loyal to his favourites. How else to explain that Juninho's polished performances for Lyon are not convincing enough for a first-team run? Or that his outstanding team-mate at Lyon, Cris, has not nailed a spot in defence?

The faces plastered all over Rio's billboards will keep their places, even if Parreira does not seem entirely sure whether to talk them up or fire out warnings. 'If we can't control the egos of these players, then Brazil will certainly not win the Hexa,' he said.

Fans are banking on Ronaldinho's sense of mission about this World Cup raising the bar. The theory goes that the best player in the world can make enough of a difference to coax more out of his team-mates. He is the one player Parreira is worried about, however.

'It's obvious that Ronaldinho is not going to be fresh at the start of the World Cup,' he said. 'He is in exceptional form right now, but will he be able to keep it up until July? I don't think he will if he continues to play all these tournaments with Barcelona up to mid-May. Barcelona have recently had three players go down with muscular problems.'

Parreira was just about the only neutral who wanted Barca to go out of the Champions League last week.

'From solid defenders to grilled chickens'

In goal

'There is no denying that we are talking about a crisis here'

Gazzetta dello Sport on out-of-form Dida

Defence

'They have gone from being solid defenders to grilled chickens, from stress-resistant ball artists to security risks in front of their own goal'

Kicker on central defenders Juan and Roque Junior, who play at Leverkusen

Midfield

'A shadow. When he disappears, like he did against Arsenal... Juventus have no chance'

Gazzetta dello Sport on midfield enforcer Emerson

Forwards

'He could have been a better player if he hadn't been affected by off-the-field problems'

Pele on Ronaldo. His comments led to a bitter response from the striker

'It is not easy to be at your best when you have problems with your private life'

Inter president Massimo Moratti on Adriano

'Adriano? He has not acted professionally and he has hurt the team'

Inter team-mate Juan Sebastian Veron on Adriano's late return from a Brazil midweek international

The Star Man

'It's obvious that Ronaldinho is not going to be fresh at the start of the World Cup. Barcelona have recently had three players go down with muscular problems'

Carlos Alberto Parreira

The conclusion

'These players are going through a bad patch, but many of the criticisms are exaggerated'

Columnist Tostao, star of Brazil's 1970 team

[\quote]

Offline The-Reds

• Kopite
Re: Brazil - Are they all they're cracked up to be?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 04:31:20 pm »
Yes.

Offline johnno918

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 05:07:22 pm »
intresting read that. thinking about it i spose they're not really. i mean dont get me wrong, they are a fantastic side, and 1 of the best, but this is the year that i think they will hand over they're crown

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 05:08:05 pm »
And then they go and spoil it all by doing something stupid like WINNING IT...
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...
Proud to be part of the LFC family

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 05:59:12 pm »
i dont think Brazil will win it. As it is to be held in Europe (Germany) it is a great opportunity for a European side to take the title. Historically, European sides are not overly successful when it is held outside of Europe, so i expect a big tilt at the title by England, Spain, Italy, France, Holland, Germany and Portugal.

I think it is a quite open tournament this year, but the crisis that is spoken about in the above article is greatly exaggerated in my opinion (though still a very interesting read!) - Brazil are the team to beat - but i think they will be beat!
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 06:05:53 pm »
They got called "the worst Brazil side ever" weeks before Euro 2004 by that same paper, then went on to win it, so that shows what gobshite journalists know. I personally hope Germany or Spain win it this summer, but I think Brazil will do, to be honest.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 06:30:06 pm »
I don't think they're as good as some people make them out to be but I suppose you could make plenty of decent arguments as to why other teams might not win it. France, for example, on the run up to the World Cup, dropped points against the likes of Switzerland and Israel. Spain, despite having a very good team on paper, always disappoint in the major tournaments. England have the best side they've had in a long time but there's question marks over the manager, formations and what their best line up is. Italy have struggled against the likes of Scotland, Norway and even Moldova over the last year and so on...

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 06:33:02 pm »
They got called "the worst Brazil side ever" weeks before Euro 2004 by that same paper, then went on to win it, so that shows what gobshite journalists know. I personally hope Germany or Spain win it this summer, but I think Brazil will do, to be honest.

That would be the 2002 World Cup Fat Tony, or would I be inviting a whooooosh by pointing that out? Germany are probably in contention for "worst German side"as well...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 06:49:08 pm by Raul. »

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 06:33:24 pm »
Attacking wise Brazil are second to none but defensively they have always been a bit on the ropey side. IMO they are not unbeatable, if a team is able to keep their midfield quiet. Which is possible

Thery are favourites but in a European country, they are perhaps less of a threat than somewhere hot and humid

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 06:41:06 pm »
They got called "the worst Brazil side ever" weeks before Euro 2004 by that same paper, then went on to win it

You sure mate? ;D
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline The-Reds

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 06:43:21 pm »
Come on Brasil!!!

Make a mockery of those ing-ur-land scummers.

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 06:46:31 pm »
No, Although you cant argue with their attacking sense they are shakier than a three legged elephant at the back.
I believe either England or Spain will win it this year. Spain are major under achievers when it comes to major tournies, while england have all the right boxes ticked but we just need to do our selves some justice.
As for germany, they are a really poor side of late. Not one truley world class player ( i dont count ballack as one before anyone starts). I dont think home advantage will be enough for them.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 06:47:12 pm »
You sure mate? ;D

Who will ever forget Kaka's last minute goal against the Greeks in Lisbon to win that tournament
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 09:33:55 pm »
I think Liverpool can beat them. But they are all they're cracked up to be, but not unbeatable.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 11:26:16 pm »
You sure mate? ;D

:-[ Shows yer how much interest I pay to International Football. :)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 11:37:49 pm »
:-[ Shows yer how much interest I pay to International Football. :)

Or Geography.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 11:41:28 pm »
Brazil will be good but England will win it.  :D
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 12:42:28 am »
Or Geography.

Fuckin hell he's back! More retirements than Alan Shearer now mate. ;)

Offline SGTBabbel

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 01:17:29 am »
i reckon an understrengthed, under confident, under firing, half blind, half crippled and under performing Brazilian B team could still easily win the World Cup!!!

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 02:19:04 am »
The Azzurri will win the World Cup
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 02:36:55 am »
I wouldn't write-off Brazil from winning the WC, but I think they are slightly overrated in this competition. Yes, they have the Fab Five in Robinho, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka and Adriano, but firstly they are probably not all going to play at once and while Robinho has hardly played at Real, Ronaldo has been injured and Adriano's rapidly dipping form and battles with Argentine teammates haven't given him any additional confidence. Their primary wingbacks Cafu and Roberto Carlos should have retired from international football by now; Dida has been rattled more than once this season, Roque Junior (The Brazilian Djimi Traore) is still starting and they are have a huge weight of expecations upon them. 

Brazil's strength is definitely in attack as Lucio and Cris are there only consistent performers at the back, but I think this what will make this tournament interesting is that there are a lot of teams who either defensively poor or weak, or have decided to solely focus upon attack.

Italian coach Marcello Lippi has been fretting if Nesta or Canavarro get injured as he feels this Italian team lacks a solid back four; the youthful German defence is still about two World Cups from peaking; Argentina haven't looked defensively sound in friendlies against either England or Croatia; France's aging backline recruits such as Lillian Thuram have been in poor form all season.

I think team's will be attacking more in this tournament because they realize the gap is closing and scoring a goal and sitting back against a team like USA or Korea isn't enough. Also teams like Italy have seen how negative defensive tactics have played a central role in both their defeat to Korea in WC 2002 and their ill-fated game against Sweden in Euro 2004. Look at England's game against Portugal in Euro 2004 in which they sat back after Owen's early goal: it no longer pays to sit back and defend. And naturally the fans are going to want to see free-flowing attacking football and I expect that most teams with their eyes on winning it all will be attacking at will.

Offline TheRedBull

• 4x1=5
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 04:15:18 am »
Brazil's strength is definitely in attack as Lucio and Cris are there only consistent performers at the back, but I think this what will make this tournament interesting is that there are a lot of teams who either defensively poor or weak, or have decided to solely focus upon attack.

Italian coach Marcello Lippi has been fretting if Nesta or Canavarro get injured as he feels this Italian team lacks a solid back four; the youthful German defence is still about two World Cups from peaking; Argentina haven't looked defensively sound in friendlies against either England or Croatia; France's aging backline recruits such as Lillian Thuram have been in poor form all season.

I think team's will be attacking more in this tournament because they realize the gap is closing and scoring a goal and sitting back against a team like USA or Korea isn't enough. Also teams like Italy have seen how negative defensive tactics have played a central role in both their defeat to Korea in WC 2002 and their ill-fated game against Sweden in Euro 2004. Look at England's game against Portugal in Euro 2004 in which they sat back after Owen's early goal: it no longer pays to sit back and defend. And naturally the fans are going to want to see free-flowing attacking football and I expect that most teams with their eyes on winning it all will be attacking at will.

If every team are trying to play that way, then Brazil will definitely win this World Cup...

Offline kiwimark

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 04:42:19 am »
Brazil play a friendly against the All Whites (New Zealand team)....and when we kiwi's beat them, it will be the greatest day of our sporting nation...Especially when they then go on to beat the Aussies in the world Cup.....

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 04:56:54 am »
Go Togo

Offline MightyReds

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 06:01:04 am »
Brazil play a friendly against the All Whites (New Zealand team)....and when we kiwi's beat them, it will be the greatest day of our sporting nation...Especially when they then go on to beat the Aussies in the world Cup.....

No disrespect though, but the aussie went on to qualify for world cup. And they haven't play aussie in the wordl cup yet.

On another note, I think this is just another paper spin to push down the credibility of the opposition. Can you find a team with the best players in every position? It's more to how the team play when it matters most. And we're talking about Brazil, a team that blessed with magnificent players, players who can turn a match by a stroke of genius. Maybe they will not walk away with the world cup, but they certainly not as in that bad of a shape as the journo made them out to be.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 06:03:34 am by MightyReds »
"In my time at Anfield we always said we have the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves" - Bill Shankly

Offline a red revolution

• Legacy Fan
  • Forty-five!!
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 07:51:40 am »
Maybe they will not walk away with the world cup, but they certainly not as in that bad of a shape as the journo made them out to be.

Aye, was thinking along the same lines after reading it myself. I think that article has done it's job mind, we're all posting on here talking about it ain't we?!

Brazil'll certainly always have the aura of invincibility around them in some people's eyes because of what and who has gone before them in the yellow shirts, regardless of their actual standard of play at the time. A team that boasts talent like they have will always be seen as favourites by people who rarely get to see them all playing together rather than just at their club sides.

But you've got to say that Brazil on a crap day could still probably beat 80-90% of the teams going today. Apart from us like, Djimi has a Ronaldinho sized pocket in his shorts.
"It is easy for these so-called experts to talk about the game when they don't see the training. . . . . it is easy for people to criticise on television; they have never managed a team that has lost a game - or won one."

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 09:44:18 am »
Its certainly not as cut and dried for Brazil as people make out. Remember the 82 side anyone?? Touted as the best since '70 and along with Holland and Hungary the best side never to win the World Cup. They had fantastic players in attacking postitions but really struggle when it came to the back. This Brazil side are the same, Roberto Carlos and Cicinho/Cafu are great attacking full backs but leave themselves open. And there's always Roque Junior around ready to f*ck things up. It'd be great for football if they won it but I'm not so sure.

In saying that the quality of the opposition isn't exactly outstanding. Apart from Italy and Argentina and possibly England (but I think they'll be found out again), no one else stands out.

Offline superste21

• Legacy Fan
  • The beautiful game!
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 10:22:41 am »
Its just a dramatic over the top piece. Their players can't play amazing every single game.

If we did the same for England we would be saying, fuck, Ashley Cole won't be fit, Rio Ferdinand is crap and will probably start, Joe Cole has gone off the boil, Gerrard and Lampard can't play together, Owen is injured and won't be match fit and Rooney will be burnt out by the time the World Cup comes around!

You could write a similar piece for virtually every team in the world, the difference being that Brazil undoubtedly have the best team and squad in international football.
Traore gives me the shits!

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 02:40:15 pm »
I'd say they have the best attackers in international football. Their central midfielders, defenders and goalkeepers are not fantastic players by any means.

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 05:28:22 pm »
I think England will win it this time round. Their midfield is probably the best in the world. Quite a problem in attack though with Owen out (maybe Crouchy will start?:)) but they sure make up for it in the middle of the park.
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2006, 05:34:00 pm »
I think England will win it this time round. Their midfield is probably the best in the world. Quite a problem in attack though with Owen out (maybe Crouchy will start?:)) but they sure make up for it in the middle of the park.

you can correct me in July if I am wrong, but

ENGLAND WILL NOT WIN THE WORLD CUP.
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2006, 05:35:47 pm »
It just takes one mistake from their mistake prone keeper Dida and they are out.
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2006, 10:12:24 pm »
It just takes one mistake from their mistake prone keeper Dida and they are out.

Not if they continue to score more then they concede and their defence is not as bad as it's made out to be, they've got some decent defenders.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2006, 10:37:37 pm »

ENGLAND WILL NOT WIN THE WORLD CUP.

I`ll second that!

On the other hand, if Chris cant get a place in the starting line up, then Brazil has got to have one hell of a central defense.
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2006, 10:49:37 pm »
Not if they continue to score more then they concede and their defence is not as bad as it's made out to be, they've got some decent defenders.

Attack is very good but still overated.

Adriano- Absolute donkey
Ronaldo- Been poor for the last few months
Robinho- playing well coming up to world cup
Kaka-very overated, drifts in and out of games. Expect him to be invisible when the going gets tough
Ronaldinho-the best in the world

They are in no way unbeatable, their defence may not be as bad as some make out but nowhere near as good as some teams. Their keeper has been awful this season aswell Imo.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 11:02:44 pm by -Gianni- »
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• Don't you see what's going on out there? Everyone hates us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2006, 11:06:39 pm »
Their attack may be over-rated, but they will still have too much for some ;)
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2006, 12:13:11 am »
Attack is very good but still overated.

Adriano- Absolute donkey

Kaka-very overated, drifts in and out of games. Expect him to be invisible when the going gets tough

Adriano is not at all absolute donkey. Where did that even come from? His record is enough to suggest otherwise, and if you watch him you can see he isn't.

The Kaka comment, I agree with partially, that he does drift out of games sometimes, but he is hardly over-rated, as he gets nowhere near the praise a lot of other young players get.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2006, 12:24:34 am »
Adriano is not at all absolute donkey. Where did that even come from? His record is enough to suggest otherwise, and if you watch him you can see he isn't.

The Kaka comment, I agree with partially, that he does drift out of games sometimes, but he is hardly over-rated, as he gets nowhere near the praise a lot of other young players get.

I watch Adriano alot and he is one of the most overrated footballers on this planet, behind Ibrahimovic. Hes quick and strong, and has a powerful shot(remind you of someone?) Hes tempermental,sloppy, and a poor finisher. He is the exact same player as Cisse.

In regards to Kaka, hes good but there was a pole on here saying he was better than Ronaldinho and I believe that people were voting for him on the basis of 45 minutes against Liverpool. As i say i think he is prone to ducking when it hgets tough,like the second half of the champions league,like against Barcelona where he did nothing. Hes a good player dont get me wrong but extremley lazy.

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• Don't you see what's going on out there? Everyone hates us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2006, 12:26:59 am »
I watch Adriano alot and he is one of the most overrated footballers on this planet, behind Ibrahimovic. Hes quick and strong, and has a powerful shot(remind you of someone?) Hes tempermental,sloppy, and a poor finisher. He is the exact same player as Cisse.

I know who'd I'd rather have out of the two
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2006, 01:04:32 am »

In regards to Kaka, hes good but there was a pole on here saying he was better than Ronaldinho and I believe that people were voting for him on the basis of 45 minutes against Liverpool. As i say i think he is prone to ducking when it hgets tough,like the second half of the champions league,like against Barcelona where he did nothing. Hes a good player dont get me wrong but extremley lazy.

Ronaldinho is miles away from Kaka, but Kaka is still one of the top 5 in his position in the world.

And I just gotta disagree about Adriano, I've seen him since he played for Brazil at U17 level and always thought he was a bit special. If we got even close to signing him I would be a happy man.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 01:18:22 am by Tom_B »
We're on our way to glory...