Author Topic: RAWK Round Table LFC 3-2 MCFC  (Read 31873 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
RAWK Round Table LFC 3-2 MCFC
« on: April 13, 2014, 03:43:10 pm »
"There are days in my life..."
Whether we win the league or not, the mark of champions is the ability to come back from 2 goals scored against you quickly and still win. A tale of two cities and a tale of two halves if ever there was one.

Skrtel for me was our man of the match, how many times did you have the words Skrtel and heads and clear today? Never mind heading us clear with that 2nd goal. And talk about composure with Sterling's finish was wonderful.
Sturridge looks tired, and/or off the pace with his touches, but that has come fortunately at the same time as Sterling's all round improvement. He had a marvellous match.
Luis actually was fouled a lot today and for me, though he lost his composure at moments, it was right to keep him on threatening the whole time.

The little'uns showed up today, Coutinho and Sterling showed strength and skill, how valuable was Coutinho's strike at the end?

With Henderson out for 3 matches, my question is: how would you set us up for the next few games? Allen isnt' totally like for like, so what do we reckon?

Anyway, drink beckons. get.the.fuck.in.
Yep.

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Round Table LFC 3-2 MCFC
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 08:51:13 pm »
Never doubted it for a second…ok, I’m not going to lie, I did. I won’t go into minute detail about everyone involved in today’s game, I’d be here until at least the Norwich game if I did, so please someone give Martin Skrtel, Raheem Sterling and Simon Mignolet the write-ups they deserve because they were superb. Instead, I’m going to concentrate on one or two individuals and I want to start by reiterating a few things I said after the Spurs game two weeks ago:
You look at Jon Flanagan and you just laugh at the beautiful absurdity of this young man coming in and playing to a level that none of us expected. You laugh at a Brazilian World Cup-winning full-back following him on Twitter and singing his praises, this young, unheralded local lad with 30-odd appearances to his name. You look at him and you just laugh at the magic of it all, of how he dropped the shoulder at Old Trafford and sent all £37m of Juan Mata on an Antarctic fishing expedition as he rampaged up the field, and yesterday, that turn, those tackles. Pure and utter desire. I wonder if Manchester City have someone like Jon Flanagan? Oh I know, I know they’ve got plenty of talent and ability, plenty of shiny new toys, some of them still in the packaging (if they put Stevan Jovetić up for sale on eBay, for example, the ad would surely read “one Montenegrin international, in mint condition, barely used”). But do they have a Flanagan, a Gerrard, local lads living their dream and playing for more than just medals and money? I don’t care if it sounds gay, Gerrard’s smile this season has been something to behold. He believes, not only that Liverpool can win the title but also in the players around him, something which hasn’t always been the case and that almost gives me more confidence than anything else. You can see it written all over him that he thinks this team is fucking brilliant. There’s no agitation, no sense that he has to stretch himself if this Premier League thing is going to happen before he retires. Two local lads, one of them a legend, one a young lad still feeling his way into a Premier League career, both becoming larger and bolder than life itself right when their team needs them to be. Do Manchester City have anyone like that, I wonder?
No, no they don’t. And that’s no knock on City because they were fucking immense today. When it went to 2-2 I genuinely only saw one winner, and it wasn’t the team wearing red. There’s been a constant battle for me this season, and I’m sure I’m not the only one, between the head and the heart. The head’s been telling me for the past few months, maybe since the 5-0 at White Hart Lane or the back-to-back defeats at the Etihad and Stamford Bridge over Christmas but certainly since that trouncing of Arsenal in early February, that the League title is a bridge too far, that top-four was the aim at the start of the season and I should be happy with it, that the amount of points necessary to finish top at the end of the season was simply unattainable and I should just make my peace with that. Yet it was the heart in control during the first-half today, a combination of the noise inside Anfield and the day that was in it assuring me that Liverpool had to win, that it would be such a travesty for this club to lose this game on this day as to upset the natural order of the universe, and then we’d all be fucked. It simply had to happen and everything that transpired during those first 45 minutes told me that it would: Suárez shrugging off a challenge and playing Sterling through, the little magician going right, then left, then right and making fools of two superb players in Kompany and Hart, the celebrations which followed, Touré going off (I’d never wish harm on a wonderful football player like Yaya Touré but, to be fair, it was a massive boost to Liverpool’s chances of winning), Skrtel’s second, Johnson clearing off the line and ending up in the back of the Anfield Road net, Mignolet’s save from Fernandinho, it felt like it was meant to be in a way that, much like religion I would guess, can’t be adequately described to a non-believer, it has to be felt. Well I felt it today. The three points, and along with them the League title we’ve been awaiting for 24 years, were moving ever closer.

And then the head unexpectedly seized control during the second-half as City came out of the dressing-room like true fucking champions, absolutely refusing to give this up without the mother of all fights. They proceeded to repeatedly cut us to shreds, bossing the game with a level of power and control that was truly something to behold and gradually making their way back into it, first with a disallowed Silva goal at which we all breathed a huge sigh of relief but was nonetheless like the first warning shot fired by a marauding army of invaders, then the actual Silva goal which followed a very similar pattern in the build-up. Then there came what seemed like an endless flurry of last-ditch blocks from red shirts, the home side barely able to get into the City half for any meaningful period of time, and when more intricate work in the Liverpool box saw Johnson slice into his own net it felt like the inevitable culmination of the better team, the one which had similarly come back from 2-0 down at the Allianz Arena earlier in the season against maybe the best club side in the world to win 3-2, exerting their dominance against a young upstart. Sturridge came off (it wasn’t Daniel’s best day, let’s just leave it at that), Allen came on, and still the pressure mounted with no one seemingly possessing the wherewithal to stop the bleeding. A Dzeko shot was blocked, a Nasri effort drifted wide, then Aguero skinned Skrtel and Silva narrowly missed from point-blank range. Surely the winning goal was coming? Surely to fuck it was coming? That was what the head was telling me anyway, what it was screaming at me as we entered the last 15 minutes.

Well cometh the hour, cometh the man, men in this case, diminutive of stature but exuding the presence of titans today. Here’s how the early part of those last 15 minutes after the Silva miss (20 including Clattenburg’s mystical extra 5) played out: at roughly 76:30, Jon Flanagan wins a header against James Milner (a man twice his size judging by the shot of him with his shirt off just before his introduction – fuckin’ hell, a WWE career beckons upon your retirement from football, James) and sets Philippe Coutinho away down the left against Zabaleta. Zabaleta is the clear favourite but the little Brazilian, as he has all day, simply won’t be beaten. He chases down the combative Argentine, tussles with him briefly, then manages to escape from his clutches in an incident which sees the City full-back booked once the ball goes dead. But Coutinho isn’t waiting around for a referee’s whistle, he speeds away infield where he finds Henderson, who finds Sterling and, ultimately, Di Michelis finds touch with his clearance like a rugby full-back hurriedly slicing clear under pressure. 35 seconds later, the ball is in the net from the little Brazilian’s world-class finish (I say “world-class” only out of necessity because other words fail me at the sheer glory of it: first-time shot with City players bearing down on him, pinpoint accuracy under the pressure of stakes which crush lesser men, and the way in which he wrapped his foot around it…just glorious…if Brazil leave him out of their World Cup squad, another Phil, Scolari, has either gone stone mad or they’ve invented a time machine in Rio or Sao Paulo which has allowed them to draft in members of the 1970, or at least 1982, squad). 

Anyway, so now the crowd redouble their considerable efforts (unbelievable today, an absolute credit to their club) and City need to do the same, but within about 40 seconds of the kick-off it’s that man again, Jon Flanagan, making the statement having reserved his ‘Soldado tackle’ for when his team needed it most, clattering into Milner and clearing the ball on 79 minutes. From the resulting throw-in, a mere 20 seconds or so later, Milner tries to flick it past him and Flanagan responds by forming the equivalent of a steel curtain around the ball which the City player simply bounces off. The other Scouser on the field, his captain who has come over to help him out, leaves again without having had to do anything, almost as if he was saying “nah, I’m leaving this for Jon, let’s see how the lad does”. Then, on 80:24, Liverpool’s left-back wins another header against Milner from a cross-field pass and a massive cheer goes up from the stands as he undrapes himself from the advertising hoarding and makes his way back to the action. Finally, from the resulting throw-in at about 80:47, he nips in front of yet another City player and clears for a corner. In roughly 5 minutes, from the time of Silva’s miss (74:51 which, in hindsight, proved to be the final throes of City’s dominance in the second-half) to Flanagan’s clearance for a City corner, the game has been turned on its head. The crowd is a factor again, the players have settled, the scoreline is 3-2 and City are shit out of ideas beyond lumping balls in the general direction of the Liverpool penalty area (all they were missing was Robert Huth). I ask again: do City have a player, a man, like Jon Flanagan? And, for that matter, do they…
…have anyone like Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho, who have known the frustration of watching from the sidelines with successive coaches distrusting their talent, itching to get a chance, a real chance, or players like Jordan Henderson and Lucas Leiva who have been written off and made into scapegoats in the past? Do they have players like that who have clawed and scratched to make it to here, to not only be a part of something real but to be front and centre in making it happen? How could they? When dropping £30m for a readymade, mint-condition superstar seems as easy as taking a chequebook out of your pocket and leaving the amount blank, why would you bother with rehabilitation or redemption? Why indeed.
Why? Well for days like today, of course. Contrary to what will no doubt become a fashionable opinion should these last four games go to plan, Liverpool did not buy any of their success this season. Instead, what you had was a manager with a vision and the talent to execute that vision, who has wilfully embraced the freedom and, yes, naivety of an approach which states boldly and without apology that “‘the mentality is to be fearless”. It’s a philosophy which may have to change as the club returns to Champions League action next season (YES!! by the way) but it has served his team well this season and again today, and it’s something which won’t and can’t change in these final four games now that Liverpool find themselves the toast of the Premier League party because, as Lester Freamon once said in The Wire, “I don’t wanna go to no dance unless I can rub some titty”. It was the hunger, the desire and, above all else, the fearlessness of those Liverpool players which got us to that dance, which allowed us to win today's game, and it can’t stop now when we’re so close to that glittering (albeit ugly) prize. Philippe Coutinho and Jon Flanagan are 21 (twenty-fucking-one). Brendan Rodgers has coached them to be what they are, what they were today, the slayers of giants because that’s what Manchester City are. They’re the best that England has to offer and we beat them today in a game that meant everything. It makes me laugh when others clamber to the moral high ground and accuse Liverpool of buying success. Jordan Henderson was a £16m (or was it £20m? – nah, just kidding, £16m) misfit as recently as this time last year, money wasted according to the same people, but now because Rodgers has tapped into his obvious talent and made him a better player, that £16m is suddenly evidence of buying up the best talent? As a mate of my dad’s used to say, "do me a fucking favour" (he also used to say that “a .22 bullet wouldn’t go astray" on people he didn’t like, but we won’t go there…)

Anyway, my overriding sense during this ride (or journey, as our manager might say) remains as follows:
I get the feeling that, should these lads face a moment of truth, a gut-check, call it what you will, they’ll face it and stare it down together, as a team, as a “group”. No doubt in my mind. Should Manchester City or Chelsea face similar odds, I’m not so sure your Nasri’s and Fernandinho’s, your Willian’s and Etoo’s, could be relied upon in quite the same way. This team has been forged through wind and rain, through hardship and trial, and now a fanbase glimpsing history is joining in and making itself heard like never before. I’m now convinced that the togetherness, the bond of teammate and fan alike, is what will pull this team over the line and give it that extra advantage to make up for having Victor Moses where City have Edin Dzeko to come off the bench, where Chelsea have Schurrle. Most of all, this team has the best player and the best manager in the Premier League.
It also has the best captain. I don’t think I’m out of line in suggesting that if Steven Gerrard’s smile has been a joy to behold this season, then his tears after today’s game set many a grown man and woman, from Merseyside to Dublin, Sydney to Johannesburg, New York to Mumbai and anywhere else this wonderful flag is flown, to tears themselves (myself included, truth be told). City don’t have a Gerrard, but that’s ok, nobody really does (Vincent Kompany is one magnificent specimen, but he’s still no Steven Gerrard). The man is a one-of-a-kind and once-in-a-lifetime event, a bolt of lightning that Liverpool Football Club has somehow managed to hold in its hand for the entirety of his career and the majority of his life. And I’d like to think that those tears today weren’t just about a long-awaited League title moving closer, in fact I know they weren’t (heart talking again now, by the way). They were borne of a deep bond that he feels with his community, the same bond that ultimately kept him from the clutches of Chelsea all those years ago, a connection that goes beyond and yet is indelibly linked to football and is presumably what Bill Shankly was talking about when he said that it was “much more important than that”. It’s not what Sky think it is, it’s not what morons who can’t bring themselves to respect a simple minute’s silence think it is, it’s not what UEFA or FIFA or the FA think it is, it’s an escape and a salvation, it’s a passion and a dream, it’s “everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards”. And damned if I didn’t feel like a rich man today.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:23:56 pm by E2K »
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:03:57 pm »
Belter of a post E2K.

The little'uns showed up today, Coutinho and Sterling showed strength and skill, how valuable was Coutinho's strike at the end?

That to me was the sign of the team growing. Gerrard's proved in the past he can cope with any situation and Suarez and Sturridge have been consistently immense this season but weren't quite at it today. But Coutinho and Sterling both were immense in a match which was one of the biggest of the season (they all are now but you know what I mean). Sterling's been excellent for months and against one of the best side in the league, he didn't look like he didn't fit in and Coutinho seems to be becoming more and more consistent now, his match against West Ham being an exception to how he's performed for us this year. Even without their goals, they were both superb but they both deserved to get on the scoresheet. Sakho having been out for a few months came in against West Ham and it was like he's been a regular and he continued that today. His partner at the back is a goal scorer extraordinaire and has been our best defender this season. Heck, everybody at some stage this season has had their moment. They had their moments today - every single one of them. That's the team coming together and all our players stepping up and performing when it matters.

Both us and Man City showed why we're the two best teams in the league today and we were excellent for a spell and so were they. When they got it back to 2-2 (and it had been coming) we didn't wilt and managed to get composed and go again. That's testament to Rodgers and him instilling belief into the side (as well as the quality of football we've been witnessing this season). That and the crowd being amazing. The You'll Never Walk Alone prior to the match made me shiver.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

royhendo

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 08:33:45 am »
In 1990, I went on my first ever holiday abroad, aged 17. It was a roller coaster ride. I went to Toronto with my sister and her husband, to meet for the first time the Canadian branch of our family. I saw The Simpsons for the first time. I ate Tim Horton’s donuts for the first time. I saw a live game of baseball for the first time. And I kissed Dana Archibald. She was the kind of girl who you knew was a league or two above what you really deserved from life, but I was Scottish, and I was new to them all, so somehow it just happened. 23 years later, she's still burned in my mind, like I looked into the shining sun a moment too long.

At that age, of course, things stay with you a lifetime. It's an adventurous age, and a time when the world is yours to explore, and maybe start to battle, and to start to make your tentative claims on things. Dreams bubble up, and belief, or the lack of it, pops a few. But some continue to rise to the top of a glass half full.

During our stay, my cousin took us North to the Ottowa river, where we stayed in a log cabin, and each night he hauled us along behind his little boat on a rubber inner tractor tyre, bumping along on the wash, the outboard motor straining and thick with smoke, black flies everywhere as we skimmed the murky surface at breakneck speed, that ‘Wooaaaaaaaaaah’ feeling the whole time, each evening wondering if we’d meet our watery grave, loving every minute. Everything new and not yet certain. "What will we do tomorrow?", I'd ask. "Well what what would you like to do?", the response.

That holiday came back to me at half time yesterday. Nerves have an impact on us all, you see - little patterns that repeat throughout our lives. I remember at the time being unusually uptight. I was waiting for my exam results - my highers - the equivalent of your A-Levels I suppose. And when we were up in the North of Ontario, Canada, in the summer of 1990, one evening we called my mum, because the day had arrived when we knew the results had been sent out. But the results weren’t quite what I had hoped. And in a room full of new found family, I smiled as they congratulated me, but fought back tears borne of the bitter taste of dashed hope and expectation. But then time passed, and after a while, quite suddenly, a tightness in my gut I'd been unaware of until that point subsided, and I felt the overwhelming urge to ablute. So much so that I blocked the u-bend in the washroom of my cousin’s holiday home, and had to ask her if she owned a plunger. She's never forgotten it.

That holiday came back to me at half time because of that self same feeling. A tension dissipating in my abdomen, and the realisation that, despite the brave faces and rhetoric, I had been just as uptight as I’d been all those years ago, an automaton gorging on my cousin’s bran muffins, thinking of other things than the taste. "We're going to win. I think we're going to win." Then Suarez’s lunge, Sterling’s finish, Stevie’s header, Skrtel’s flourish, the groin gives way on Toure, Coutinho clatters into Nasri. And when Mignolet parried Fernandinho’s shot wide, and then the Brazilian was booked for clattering into Suarez (with Nasri having a sly dig at Coutinho on the referee's blind side) I thought, “Their heads are gone, we’re going to win." The whistle came, the wave of emotion hit, and that tension I'd been hitherto unaware of eased, its disappearance revealing an overwhelming tightness in the core of me all those preceding weeks, and man oh man, I had to run to the lavvy. Again. Liverpool’s title run is keeping me regular.

New ground, clear skies, and a world at our feet. Belief in our entitlement to whatever we might like to achieve. But boy oh boy, they have quality. And boy oh boy, they have ruthlessness. Milner for Navas was an inspired substitution. Milner was brilliant, relentless, Silva suddenly activated, one touch football in full flow, and the tightness and dread returned to my belly, and a dark emptiness crept in alongside it, the inner vision of Brian Kidd’s muted celebration threatening to monopolise the remainder of my year. Aguero shrugs off Skrtel, Silva’s studs seem to grow in length as he slides for the ball. Horrible. Compelling, but just horrible. Like slowly watching a spider catch and devour its prey.

But then Joe Allen entered the fray. And in that moment, the balance shifted. On the pitch, and in my belly. A team somehow cleaved in two by Milner's introduction finding itself freshly reintegrated, checking City's flow, and re-establishing a foothold for our death defying climb. Yes, Kompany scuffed his clearance, and yes, Coutinho somehow managed to shape his body to curve the ball around his mark and into the side netting, somehow. Somehow. But the momentum shifted when Joe Allen came back on. It felt like Man United at home - the togetherness - the defiance. Henderson’s lunge, Henderson’s red. Skrtel’s hand. All that amidst a growing certainty. And this time round I kissed another Archibald, my oldest friend Grant, full on the moosh, in that moment just as irresistible as his Canadian namesake had been all those years ago, in the shape of another forty year old wreck.

When Steven Gerrard heard the final whistle, we all shared a little of his emotion. A sportsman the like of which we’ll probably never see again. Someone who can evoke that kind of feeling in you, not once, but again and again. In life, you treasure these rare moments, yet somehow this young team has given us a season full of them. This young team is taking us with it on trips to far flung places the like of which it's never been before. The destination is uncertain, but by God the memories will stay with us for the rest of our lives.

-

(Also posted on TAW.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:28:41 am by royhendo »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 02:53:54 pm »
Lovely. TAW: Is that Toilet's A'hve Wasted?
Yep.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 03:30:36 pm »
Bump. We'll leave the main topic open for a while too.
Yep.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 03:39:00 pm »
Sometimes football matches are beyond analysis and comprehension (well to my small mind anyway). yesterday we were great value for our 2-0 lead but in the lead up to half time you could see the warning signs that City would come back strongly. With the benefit of knowing we won we can look back and admire David Silva and his string pulling but at the time it was horrible to watch. I can't recall an opposition player dictating things like that in a long time, to an extent it reminded me of our early years back in Europe when the opposition often seemed on another level technically.

However this team has incredible resolve and we hung in there one way or another. I always felt at 2-2 that we would have one or two more opportunities and so it proved. Great technique from Coutinho when it really mattered. It was gut wrenching, it was emotional, it was everything we dared hope. Still a lot to be done and by no means is anything won yet. But if we can reproduce the flair of the first half hour and the resolve of the last half hour we won't go far wrong.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 03:51:35 pm »
Being elated at the result notwithstanding, the defensive performance vs MCFC, especially on the flanks, left a lot to be desired.

I will leave it to more knowledgeable and eloquent commentators to both establish the veracity or plausibility of my claim and to demonstrate it. At this point, all I can say is that we were, too many times, more lucky than good.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 03:52:31 pm »
Being elated at the result notwithstanding, the defensive performance vs MCFC, especially on the flanks, left a lot to be desired.

I will leave it to more knowledgeable and eloquent commentators to both establish the veracity or plausibility of my claim and to demonstrate it. At this point, all I can say is that we were, too many times, more lucky than good.

Sometimes you give up the flanks for what you can gain in the middle.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 03:58:40 pm »
Not posted on here much as i've been quietly keeping council and stupidly thinking i may tempt fate by harping on.

But yesterday was absolutely immense. E2k's post sums up a lot of my thoughts, but Flanagan was case in point. When Milner came on Pelligrini saw a weakness there and exploited it to the full. Milners movement and experience caught Flanagan out many a times, but after the 3rd goal belief came back to the young lad and all of a sudden he was a match for him, it was fascinating to watch.

Positives for me where Gerrard and Sakho, Flanno, Skrtel and Raheem. Negatives where Johnson again - im scratching my head at this lad, he's playing well within himself, hes even a much better defender than what hes showed so far, and in these late stages of the season the younger lads are relying on the likes of seasoned internationals like Johnson to step up a bit, i hope hes reserved himself for the final four.

A word on Clattenburg too - ive been impressed with him. Against United he refereed it brilliantly, and today again. he may have got decisions wrong but he got them wrong for both sides and took the same action for both. As long as that happens im ok with decisions, its when you get idiots like Dowd giving a pen for a shirt pull then not giving it for the same incdent 10 minutes later thats infuriating.

Lets hope we dont get an ass of a ref for Chelsea, but i got a feeling we need to beat Mourihnos snide game and the ref in that one...
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 04:01:48 pm »

True, of course. But I don't think we gave up the flanks, as a matter of strategy. We were there in numbers and appeared to want to combat and react appropriately but we just failed. Their goals and major goal-scoring chances (except for the Silva near miss) came from almost sad lack of coordination and awareness on our part. I know the opponents were outstanding players being coached by an excellent manager and staff; still, Silva beating Johnson and Stevie (going in between them) to recover the rebound off his own shot was a bit too much. Their first goal was both ridiculously good on their part (LFC-like :-)) and quite bad on our part.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 04:03:32 pm »

True, but once Yaya departed our central superiority was overkill, to deal with Garcia and Fernandinho, while Silva popped up on either flank, along with fullback and wide player (with Milner's industry and intelligence more effective than Navas' pace) against our fullback and one side of the diamond. The result was the the nearest CB would be pulled out of position too.

On the flip side - and I realise we've still scored 3+ goals in most games - we don't seem to have quite the same penetration and fluency upfront with the diamond. In particular, Sturridge seems to appreciate the space when the 3 stretches a defence, pinning back the fullbacks and opening up the channels.

The result I think was that despite dominating the centre for most of the first half, and having a few opportunities to extend the lead further, we were never quite at our fluent best seen in the best period of the 433 a couple of months ago, never quite creating the quantity and quality of chances that put Everton and Arsenal to the sword, for example.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:05:54 pm by redmark »
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 04:04:07 pm »
Grabbed from the Lucas thread but I thought my response was more relevant here and I'd love other peoples input/discussion

Although that was the logical move in hindsight (and even foresight, given how poorly he was playing), we were 2-0 up at half time and seeking a third goal to kill the game off. Once Milner came on and had an impact, Sturridge off for Lucas or Allen would have made sense then and there, and not 15 minutes later. But at half time? We needed our goalscorers on the pitch, even if they weren't playing well.

My contention isn't with the sub, by the way. It's with this notion that "Rodgers got it wrong". That needs to be backed up, seeing as Rodgers has gotten it right enough to have us in pole position for winning the league with 4 games to go. Timing of substitutions are influenced by a number of factors, and rather than people stating categorically "the manager got it wrong" without trying to understand why manager's make subs and the timing of such. We definitely needed more stability, but you have to balance that against the fact of the half time break, and the situation and needs of the game at the time.

I don't agree at all with the comment "the manager got it wrong" but if I'm being honest then I will say I was screaming for Lucas to come on in my mind all the way through the second half. I just didn't like the space Silva and Nasri were exploiting either side of Gerrard and I felt we were rolling the dice playing such a high tempo counter attacking game. I didn't think we needed the 3rd goal and if we calmly played the ball, City would open themselves up anyway. This is just me conveying my feelings though and obviously it comes with zero experience.

What I was hoping for was to see a 4-2-3-1 formation (which granted we haven't seen in a while). The idea being that Henderson covers the right flank and Sterling the left with Gerrard/Lucas as a double pivot better able to protect against players (mainly Silva) drifting in from wide. Sterling still offers a counter attack threat and Suarez while not as quick has scored plenty in that situation.

I also didn't like Moses coming on but I suppose at that stage I wanted time wasted and a good sub I didn't think stood out as the best option.

And I stress again these were my thoughts. I don't for a minute think I know better than Rodgers but I do like to think about a game as an armchair manager as it unfolds. Nothing to be ashamed of IMO, would of thought we all do it.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 04:04:24 pm »

The problem I saw though was when Milner came on time and time again he would get between Flanno and Gerrard and Sakho with that run into the box that wasn't being picked up. It was how their first goal was created, I think it was the 3rd time they had done pretty much the exact same move, with Milner getting inbetween and not being picked up. Was slightly concerning.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 04:06:29 pm »

And if one or two of our counters during that first half went, we would not be talking about midfield (width or depth).  We'd be talking about 3-0 or 4-0.   Brendan responded.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 04:10:06 pm »
The problem I saw though was when Milner came on time and time again he would get between Flanno and Gerrard and Sakho with that run into the box that wasn't being picked up. It was how their first goal was created, I think it was the 3rd time they had done pretty much the exact same move, with Milner getting inbetween and not being picked up. Was slightly concerning.

That's the only drawback of Sakho in lieu of Agger, English-language proficiency in a high-stress situation. If Flano needed direction (and he did) Sakho at this stage would not be the one to deliver it. Or Skrtel for that matter. Stevie "shepherds" Flano, but Stevie, despite his brilliance, is not a defensive specialist.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 04:12:12 pm »
Great win. Every single moment of that first half should be made into a picture and framed. I loved it so much. The hunger of Gerrard is breathtaking to watch. His smiles, tears, passion, and commitment in the second half were magnanimous. Captain fucking majestic! Get in there!

At the same time, ManCity have clearly pushed our young team to the limit. We've also pushed them, of course!, and came on top. The fact that this team, with youngsters such as Coutinho, Sterling, and Flanagan playing such prominent roles, can do this to that ManCity squad under this sort of pressure, is nothing short of breathtaking.

When we were pushed back in that second half it was Captain Majestic and Jonathon Flanagan, shoulder-to-shoulder, that stood out for me in terms of passion, commitment and guts. No surprise there at all.
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 04:13:26 pm »
I thought it was interesting defensively, said elsewhere the instinct to defend narrow and deep fits in with our excellent counterattacking plans against Everton/Arsenal. But City are significantly better than those sides. Their passing play is excellent, Silva was brilliant I thought. Even in close spaces surrounded by defenders they are confident in trying to pass short or use their skill to hold onto the ball.

To that point I think we perhaps needed to react sooner than we did and try to push up a bit or remove a striker and add another number in midfield, which eventually did happen anyway.

Other than that I thought it was excellent, we dominated them for most of a half. Tactically we've shown such great flexibility and yesterday we saw Sterling run havoc in space between the lines, Coutinho digging in and make an extraordinary 8 tackles over the 89 minutes he played. Gerrard was pressured in possession but he's so much a third centreback that he's always got an option so is still able to complete most of his passes with much difficulty and still gets enough time on the ball to be a base for the team to build on.

An amazing atmosphere, I was in bits at the end for Gerrard and for how far we've gone. Nobody really thought this could happen back in August, Gerrard especially must have felt his chances of winning a league had gone. But from being an exciting time with an exciting manager, hopeful for building a future over a number of years, we've jumped from 7th to being in a title race. This season is already a huge success, winning the title will top it off.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 04:14:06 pm »
True, of course. But I don't think we gave up the flanks, as a matter of strategy. We were there in numbers and appeared to want to combat and react appropriately but we just failed. Their goals and major goal-scoring chances (except for the Silva near miss) came from almost sad lack of coordination and awareness on our part. I know the opponents were outstanding players being coached by an excellent manager and staff; still, Silva beating Johnson and Stevie (going in between them) to recover the rebound off his own shot was a bit too much. Their first goal was both ridiculously good on their part (LFC-like :-)) and quite bad on our part.

By far and away, their five most relevant and dangerous attacks came on the flanks.

1) Ferdiniho's shot on goal - Migs saves
2) Goal #1 - Milner to Silva (our left side)
3) Goal #2 - Silva & Nasri to Silva (own goal - right side)
4) Gerrard clearance coming back to prevent Dzecko a finish
5) Aguero turning Skrtel and slotting Silva (too miss by a few feet)

*** In the last 12-15 minutes, where was the danger on the flanks?  Skrtel heads one out and Sakho prevents Aguero penetration.
The point is that Rodgers adjusted at an appropriate time.  Remember, we are in the confidence business.  Sending on Lucas too early could have been even worse and still not prevented Man City goals (as we know they have quality).

There was a bit of ball-watching on the first goal, but they were attacking our flanks (and a midfield diamond gives up this space) and the defensive rotations can cough off gaps or passing lanes --- ones which Silva and Nasri know all too well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:15:56 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 04:17:15 pm »

It's like the theory of the short blanket that Rafa sometimes referred to:

"'With a short blanket, if you cover your feet, you get cold at the top and if you cover the top, you get cold feet. That is to say, if you attack [***], you find yourself short in defence and if you only defend, you do not create any threat".

Michael Cox wrote about it in his analysis of the United game:

Ordinarily, Rodgers using such an unusual system (at least in Premier League terms) should have caused both sides positional difficulties – while the diamond has a clear advantage, in that it dominates the centre of the pitch, every formation has  a weakness too. There are areas where United should have been testing Liverpool: the away full-backs had no protection from ahead, for example, while it’s easy for the holding midfielder, Steven Gerrard, to be overloaded in central positions at quick turnovers, when the shuttlers are high up the pitch.

None of these things were a problem for Liverpool, though, because Manchester United saw so little of the ball, and in particular because they carried no counter-attacking threat. This was partly because of Liverpool’s high pressure up the pitch, which prevented any good United passes out of defence.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/03/17/manchester-united-0-3-liverpool-rodgers-continues-with-his-diamond-and-liverpool-win-easily/

He also discusses it on more depth in his analysis of yesterdays game:

Conclusion

Over 90 minutes the game was extremely evenly-balanced…although it was never evenly-balanced at any one time. Liverpool dominated, then City dominated, and the game was basically won because Liverpool managed to nick a goal during their spell of weakness.

Liverpool’s strength came in the centre of the pitch, with their use of the diamond. City concentrated on minimising the space for the SAS to operate in, although were vulnerable to Sterling’s forward runs.

City thrived when the tempo of the game dropped, and just as Sterling epitomised Liverpool’s play, Silva did something similar from the same position – with Milner on to help him.

Overall it was a fantastic game, played with incredible intensity from the start until the finish.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/04/14/liverpool-3-2-manchester-city-liverpool-start-superbly-city-respond-after-the-break/

The beauty of football is that it's set up that way. It's only when you have an overwhelming advantage that you can cover all areas. Against City Rodgers used the diamond again and it gave us the advantage in that incredible first half because of the freedom it gave to Sterling and Coutinho.

There is no point looking at negatives in one particular area if those failings are part of the overall positive picture. If Sterling and Coutinho had not had a lot of the play in that formation it would have been an issue. Being weak defensively on the flanks is the price you pay for making the best of the talents Rodgers has available.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 04:50:15 pm »
"There are days in my life..."
Whether we win the league or not, the mark of champions is the ability to come back from 2 goals scored against you quickly and still win. A tale of two cities and a tale of two halves if ever there was one.

Skrtel for me was our man of the match, how many times did you have the words Skrtel and heads and clear today? Never mind heading us clear with that 2nd goal. And talk about composure with Sterling's finish was wonderful.
Sturridge looks tired, and/or off the pace with his touches, but that has come fortunately at the same time as Sterling's all round improvement. He had a marvellous match.
Luis actually was fouled a lot today and for me, though he lost his composure at moments, it was right to keep him on threatening the whole time.

With Henderson out for 3 matches, my question is: how would you set us up for the next few games? Allen isnt' totally like for like, so what do we reckon?

Anyway, drink beckons. get.the.fuck.in.
Not wanting to put a one-liner in here, but how were your bowel movements on Sunday pre-match?  To me, this is far more important than the tea leaves - Edit - sorry, that's aimed at Royhendo ;-)

Here's another sentence to avoid falling foul of the Round Table rules.  I think Hendo will be a big loss, especially against Chelsea.  Allen is the logical replacement but neither he nor Lucas will put in the mileage (and effective mileage at that) that Hendo does.

Also, how about a mention for Sakho?  He's stepped into Agger's shoes and kept him out of the team subsequently.  He doesn't look stylish on the ball, but then neither does Toure (Yaya) and we all know what a beast of a player he is.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:54:33 pm by wah00ey »
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 04:53:05 pm »
That's the only drawback of Sakho in lieu of Agger, English-language proficiency in a high-stress situation. If Flano needed direction (and he did) Sakho at this stage would not be the one to deliver it. Or Skrtel for that matter. Stevie "shepherds" Flano, but Stevie, despite his brilliance, is not a defensive specialist.
I saw a long clip of Sakho with his arm round Sterling firing what looked like words of wisdom into his ear.  He's communicating somehow, though maybe Sterling understands French ??? (I think not...)
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 05:39:36 pm »
The beautiful game, the way its supposed to be played. Both teams desperate to win, it was a heart wrenching match full of emotion and passion.

We came out of the blocks flying, hunting in packs, getting at them with pace and skill. Suarez was a man possessed after his early yellow card, and shrugged off Clichy and played Sterling through. Thats where we all expected Sterling to just pass it to someone or harry a shot wide. But the calmness to just quickly turn and casually pass the ball into the empty net was sublime. You thought, that was hilariously special! He took the piss!

Stevie should have scored with the header great cross from Coutinho from the corner. He should take them more often. Has anyone noticed how under Kenny and Rafa we used to play short corners, but under Rodgers, the ball always goes directly in the box, no messing around.

Same again from Gerrard, Skrtel's leap and glance, I have to say, that was one hell of a goal. I think out of them all that one was special, maybe because of the position, pace and accuracy. It could have been a fluke, but it was brilliant. 7 for the season.

Then it really stressed me out. After we blew them away in the first 3rd of the match, they were ontop of us, fernandinho with the chance and a great save from Mignolet. Then that chance fell to Coutinho just before half time, could have ended the match.

For the opposition. Silva and Kompany were magnificent for them, even though Kompany made that mistake that led to the winner, he was injured before the match and he played well cutting out that pass in the first 15 minutes from sturridge which would have found Suarez. The real game changers were milner and little joey allen. Before milner came on, it was Nasri who was told to get closer to Silva, and Silva was on fire. He waltzed through our defence and in our penalty area like he owned it. The signs were there.

We knew as soon as suarez and de michellis got booked so early on, that this game will end up with a red card. We werent wrong. I was fearing for Suarez, going down too easily and too dramatically.

I thought Sturridge had a very poor game, when he went off, I thought, he's hobbling because he doesnt want to make a fuss coming off in a big game. But rumours after the match on twitter suggests he's ripped his hamstring in 2 places! He was a threat even though he didnt look sharp in front of goal against a weak centreback in De McNasty's.

When Yaya Toure went off, Sterling started to find lots of space, and could have picked more aggressive passes in the final third, but he was the key player for us in this Diamond 4 that we had against Silva, Toure/Garcia and Fernandinho. They were lost, they didnt know how to press and who to press. They were outnumbered and couldnt get the ball to their better players quick enough to penetrate our back 5 until milner came on and used his pace and strength to get in that danger area just outside our box. Silva's liquid runs were bloody awful to defend against, you knew that if you tackled him, it was a penalty. Skrtel, Sahko and Gerrard couldnt handle the passing and movement in our box, we needed a layer of defence just outside our penalty box.

PhaseOfPlay makes a good point about the "timing" of Allen coming on. could it have happened sooner? Could Sterling, Henderson and Coutinho have dropped deeper quicker and became more compact? We saw Sturridge and Coutinho repeatedly running back to help the midfielders, but it wasnt in their game to tackle but they fought never the less. Allen's introduction helped the team to negate Milner and push Silva out of our penalty area. But it was even from that moment onwards. We lost a bit of pace in our attack when Sturridge went off, but we gained possession.

I looked at our bench and thought, this is it. We cant do anything else to win this match and get a goal. Its this 11 or nothing. And thank God, Coutinho missed a massive chance to either score from outside the box or put Sturridge or Suarez through. But he kept our title challenge alive with that strike. Probably his most important goal in his career thus far.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 05:52:37 pm »
Here's a question....

We are the set piece kings.....

We have scored more from corners and fee kicks than any side, far more than Stoke or Fat Sam FC.

Can anyone explain this?  It's pretty much the same players doing it as under Rafa and Kenny, so why are we scoring so many?  What is BR doing to make us so successful???
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 05:57:07 pm »
Game of two halves, performance means nothing result is everything, one game at a time, if you're good enough you're old enough.

I'm a city player, I'm a city player - which city player am I?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 06:05:36 pm »
Here's a question....

We have scored more from corners and fee kicks than any side, far more than Stoke or Fat Sam FC.

Can anyone explain this?  It's pretty much the same players doing it as under Rafa and Kenny, so why are we scoring so many?  What is BR doing to make us so successful???

Working on it :D

Someone said in the pre-match that they'd seen the training the day or two days before, and a lot of work was done on the set pieces. If you look at the Skrtel goal, there was a clear pattern of movement to make space at the near post - Coutinho steps to the ball, and rotates around to the back (an old PoP favourite there), and Skrtel moves into the space vacated, giving him a clear but difficult header to send to the back post (which Coutinho has spun around to). In the first corner that was saved, Sturridge makes the near-post run creating space for Gerrard who already had tons of space anyway as no City player picked him up.

What's more interesting is that there doesn't seem to be any signals from the taker as to the set-up, so it must be triggered by the players in the box, with the taker observing the box organisation and sending the appropriate delivery (Coutinho on the near post, then deliver it to Skrtel; Sturridge on the near post, send it towards the penalty spot, etc).

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 06:06:23 pm »
Game of two halves, performance means nothing result is everything, one game at a time, if you're good enough you're old enough.

I'm a city player, I'm a city player - which city player am I?

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 06:11:14 pm »
We had Coutinho get one on Gerrard's head, then Gerrard get one on Skrtl's. Must be hard to mark our players if we are treating set pieces almost like plays in American Football. Coutinho's taking has improved so much as the season's gone on as well.

Offline Greebo62

• Matchday Project Manager. Amazingly Available! Apply within, ladies.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 06:16:51 pm »
I'm off to the garden shed, with a cuppa and a smoke to read and enjoy every single post above...  RAWK Round Tables are the best read on Liverpool ANYWHERE.  Fact.

Cheers fellas,

Believe... I do
Believe...

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 06:42:33 pm »
I personally think a lot of our success at set pieces is down to the mentality Rodgers is breeding. Its pretty much the same players but the will to compete and dominate is telling on corners. It used to piss me off that no one would attack it head on and not give a shit what was in the way.

Sakho did it and missed the header by an inch or two. There was no way anyone could get in his way. Its been the same for Skrtel all year. Attacking the ball with power and strength, fuck who gets clattered.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 06:47:35 pm »
Bit tipsy as went for a round of golf and had a few jars as still celebrating yesterdays results as what a result. I felt we just played a game of chess with the devil himself who for a second had a chance to move a piece into check mate and totally missed the opportunity. Somehow someway we won a game where most thought only City would win it once it went 2-2. Someone up there has a hand on the tiller, maybe even 96 pairs of hands as today you have to think its ours...we still have to work 110% to get it but by christ who would think we have this chance with just 4 games to play.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 06:52:52 pm »
It was all around a good performance, would have been great if we didn't let the lead slip in 5 minutes. We reverted back to our bonafide style of play after we conceded and thats what got us the 3 points. After we went up 2-0 it seemed like we were letting city advanced further up the pitch, and we lost the ability to stress them out with our pressure. We can't get confident after going up 2-0 we need to play like we did the first 30 minutes the whole game. Good performance from the lads and i wanna mention in particular Flanagan and Coutinho. These two youngsters have so many great years of football ahead of them. Im buzzing for the future of these lads. Roll on Norwich.
Seen us win everything

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 07:27:17 pm »
Here's a question....

Colin Pascoe has a big part in it, by the sounds of this. Here's Chris Davies (Head of Opposition Analysis) from 2011 talking about his role under Rodgers, he talks about set pieces from about 1:00. This could have changed now, though. I'd be interested to see how good Swansea were at set pieces under Rodgers.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9_1Dx3wgCP8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9_1Dx3wgCP8</a>

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 07:34:32 pm »
Here's a question....

I remember when Brendan first came here there was an interview with a Swansea player that discussed their set piece planning. They plan several of the set pieces down to every move of every player. Based on triggers-like...if we get a set piece and they defend the near post with 2 men then we..... Very in depth planning and practice. Clearly it's working. Also Gerrard takes the first and Coutinho takes the second from the right. This left Gerrard completely unmarked in the middle of the 6 yard box yesterday. The commentators on the American tv feed mentioned this. It was so obvious you'd expect opposition managers to pick up on it in pre-game planning but haven't done so far.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 07:45:16 pm »
On the flip side - and I realise we've still scored 3+ goals in most games - we don't seem to have quite the same penetration and fluency upfront with the diamond. In particular, Sturridge seems to appreciate the space when the 3 stretches a defence, pinning back the fullbacks and opening up the channels.
I think the strikers' issues on Sunday were only tangentially related to the diamond. Pellegrini took Stevie's "all the best" about leaving his defenders 2-v-2 against Suarez and Sturridge very seriously, and--unlike most teams these days--played a true, narrow back 4. Suarez and Sturridge were always going to struggle 2-v-4, but this also opened up a ton of space between the lines for Sterling.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 07:46:21 pm »
Others have, as always, brilliantly covered the game itself, so I thought I’d write a little tribute to Raheem instead.

Those of us who frequent the youth/reserves thread have a bit of a fun game where young players get half-serious/half-tounge-in-cheek nicknames comparing them to great players. Harry Wilson is the Wrexham Reus. Cameron Brannagan is the Mancunian Lallana. Suso has had many, though none better than the Spanish Aurelio.

Raheem Sterling never got a nickname. Or if he did, I don’t remember it, and it was surely wide of the mark. He’s a different animal, not the new edition of someone who came before.

We’re all clear by now why the Aaron Lennon and Shuan Wright-Phillips comparisons were utterly silly. Raheem is little, quick and black and sometimes plays on the wing, but comparing him with those two is like comparing a 72-inch HD television with a 1950s radio. Sure, it can play music if you want it to, but it's on a whole other level.

Raheem has been largely underrated for most of his short career. We all know how embarrassing some of his thread on here looks now, but even among some of his more positive followers, he’s been seen as a Very Good Prospect who will probably Make It (i.e., start a lot of games for Liverpool), and not someone who could one day be counted as among the very best players in the world. Part of this is just a natural pessimism in our fanbase about youth players—what’s Krisztián Németh up to these days again?—but it’s also in part because he defies comparison. We’re so prone to seeing players in certain molds, that when one comes along and doesn’t fit, we don’t know what to do with him. When you saw Gareth Bale or Theo Walcott at 18, you understood what kind of player they were trying to be (even if Bale ended up something different). The same is true of Ross Barkley (the new Gascoigne) and even Suso (pick your favorite Spanish midfielder). You watch Ryan Gauld or even Harry Wilson and you see just the little hint of Messi in the way they dribble and caress the ball with their left feet—your heart can’t help but flutter a bit. Sterling, though, he’s not like that. You think he’s trying to be SWP, but instead he’s trying to be David Silva…but with Lennon’s pace, and Henderson’s energy and…

You watch Sterling burst beyond the back line at the perfect moment to receive a through a throughball and you think you’re looking at a potential new Walcott, or as I tried once to dub him, the English Pedro. Think of his first goal against Reading, so coolly taken, or the cheeky chip over Mignolet, running beyond Suarez:

Or think of his Pedro impression (next to Suarez’ Totti impression) in the first Man City game, constantly bursting into the space behind the center backs that Suarez had vacated, or the way he played in the second half of his—and his manager’s—first derby, playing very effectively as a striker next to Suarez:

But then you think of his very first start for us, where he shut down Milner in defense and tormented Kolo in attack, showing astounding stamina, or the games he’s played at right back and looked a natural, and you think he’s the right-footed Ashley Cole.

And then you watch what he did on Sunday, not for the first time, pirouetting out of challenges, effortlessly breaking the lines of the City midfield before laying the ball off to a teammate now ready to attack the exposed defense, and you think you’re watching the English Iniesta, the one player England never, ever produces:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hneAd0lB9zk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hneAd0lB9zk</a>

Who else could have scored that first goal on Sunday?

Raheem Sterling is a player like nothing I’ve seen before. I was never lucky enough to watch John Barnes, so maybe he’s the proper comparison. He’s not going to be a very good player, or an England starter, he’s going to be on Ballon D’or shortlists. And maybe someday we’ll welcome to our academy the Scouse Raheem Sterling—but probably not.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:05:25 am by ElstonGunn »

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 07:50:07 pm »
I saw a long clip of Sakho with his arm round Sterling firing what looked like words of wisdom into his ear.  He's communicating somehow, though maybe Sterling understands French ??? (I think not...)

With all due respect, that is not what I had in mind. When 'your' left back is not positioned properly, while the play is live, you don't have time to go over there, give him a hug and whisper loving pearls of wisdom in his ear.

Ludi Circenses!

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 08:00:45 pm »
Speaking of Raheem.....I dom't think I've ever seen a player so easily open up a defense like Raheem did for that first goal. We're talking about Kompany-one of the best defenders in the world...and Hart-the England goalkeeper-well Raheem just took their pants down.

And Suarez's assist. The way he bumped Clichy off was such a Dalglish move. Did he study Kenny or does the DNA just flow through the ages at Anfield?
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2014, 08:07:36 pm »
I was honestly more worried going into the West Ham game... We don't like it up us, Captain Manwaring, Carroll, Fat Sham and all that caper.

Get beat by City, well, what do you expect with their gazillions. We still win morally. It's been a great ride, and all that malarkey. And I thought we'd do them, anyway.

On about half hour, I thought, this lot hasn't even worried us, not one bit. I was about to say it to mate, but turning to him, I got that dreadful felling I'd put the mockers on it. I could only contain it for about ten minutes. Before I'd finished saying it, it seemed like Mignolet had made his only real save of the half and we'd had the goal line flap.

I got that awful feeling then. But I thought, Brendan would gee them up. And as City came out and pressed, as they'd have to, I thought we'd fly out the blocks again and twat them. We couldn't. We were drained. I felt for the lads. They couldn't push forward to relieve the pressure. They couldn't do them on the break. The season looked like it had caught up with them. But if that had turned out to be the case, so what.

I'm more than happy with what we've had already. If we can keep it together and pull it off, I'll be one fat happy Scouse chappy. Fantastic, wonderful, thrilling effort. I've never seen an LFC side, looking so knackered, and fighting on like that, since Istanbul.

"Norwich next week lads, same again" Steven said. And that's good enough for me. There's a real togetherness and fighting spirit back in Our Group. Hats off to Brendan.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Gringo fore

• Kemlynite
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2014, 08:27:44 pm »
I remember when Brendan first came here there was an interview with a Swansea player that discussed their set piece planning. They plan several of the set pieces down to every move of every player. Based on triggers-like...if we get a set piece and they defend the near post with 2 men then we..... Very in depth planning and practice. Clearly it's working. Also Gerrard takes the first and Coutinho takes the second from the right. This left Gerrard completely unmarked in the middle of the 6 yard box yesterday. The commentators on the American tv feed mentioned this. It was so obvious you'd expect opposition managers to pick up on it in pre-game planning but haven't done so far.
I watched the training session on Saturday at Melwood and the vast majority of it was on defending and attacking corners. It was all done by Brendan Rodgers who was extremely thorough in his work pointing out things after each set piece to the players. It was a real eye opener watching him work. I have to be honest here, I have never been sure of Brendan but any one who watched him on Saturday had to be impressed.