Author Topic: RAWK Round Table: Southampton 0-3 Liverpool  (Read 13465 times)

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
Re: RAWK Round Table: Southampton 0-3 Liverpool
« Reply #40 on: March 3, 2014, 04:36:53 pm »
You would have been forgiven for stating that Rafa Benitez' farewell gift consisted of a huge donation to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign. However great a gesture that was, it's not the complete legacy left behind by the Spaniard. Nineteen-year old Raheem Sterling looks like playing a pivotal part in our run-in. Not even because he's such a special, special winger just yet, but because he is a  technically gifted winger in the old-fashioned mold, a breed that's slowly dying. You think, how many of them are there left? Preciously little and even fewer are showing their qualities. Nani or Navas are potential world-beaters, but don't reach their potential. He doesn't have a million tricks in his bag, but he's got vision, a decent cross and an eye for goal. That'll do for me.

It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #41 on: March 3, 2014, 11:38:59 pm »
You would have been forgiven for stating that Rafa Benitez' farewell gift consisted of a huge donation to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign. However great a gesture that was, it's not the complete legacy left behind by the Spaniard. Nineteen-year old Raheem Sterling looks like playing a pivotal part in our run-in. Not even because he's such a special, special winger just yet, but because he is a  technically gifted winger in the old-fashioned mold, a breed that's slowly dying. You think, how many of them are there left? Preciously little and even fewer are showing their qualities. Nani or Navas are potential world-beaters, but don't reach their potential. He doesn't have a million tricks in his bag, but he's got vision, a decent cross and an eye for goal. That'll do for me.

He also brought Suso to the club iirc, which could yet be a brilliant signing.

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers' Tricky Reds
« Reply #42 on: March 4, 2014, 12:15:23 am »
I've enjoyed the many hammerings we've dished out this season as much as anyone but this is one of the few fixtures I had pinpointed as a 'win at all costs' exercise. If that meant the ball ricocheting off of Artur Boruc's rather large gut in the 94th minute to seal a ridiculously lucky 0-1 then so be it, for all I cared.

As it was, it ended up being a far more comfortable experience than I anticipated. Ended up being the key words there, because Southampton should have, at the very least, levelled the game before the half time interval. Only a post, a top save and some dire finishing denied them that.

Full marks to Rodgers for his reaction at half time, it appeared that our players were pressing them more early in the second half, playing them at their own game and doing it very well. Then came his best decision of the day, one that I and I suspect many had hoped for around that stage, as he brought off the underperforming Coutinho and replaced him with quicksilver Sterling and then, just like that, 0-2 - and it was cruise control from thereon out. Which is impressive, given Southampton are a side that is rarely beaten before the hour mark in a football match. After the utter lack of discipline we saw from our lads when we went 2-0 up against Swansea a week earlier it was positive to see us play in a much more professional manner once we doubled our lead on Saturday. The third was the proverbial icing on the cake, and Gerrard's celebration said as much.

For me that win ranks nearly as highly as all of our big ones against rival opposition this season.

10 games to go. Bring. Them. On.

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 4, 2014, 04:57:27 am »
Another great win at a very tricky ground against a very good, well organised young team, this fixture has caused us problems the last few seasons and for the players and management to put in a performance like that shows nothing else than that they themselves believe they can win this thing. And if they believe, I believe.

You have got to give it to the gaffer, we are now travelling to grounds where we have struggled in previous seasons and scoring freely and putting in fearless performances to boot. Stoke at the Brit, Spurs at The Lane, and now Southampton. All clinically vanquished by a compact, hard-working and very intelligent young side still learning, still progressing. I thought the diamond worked well, although I am of the opinion that any formation that allows Suarez and Sturridge to play predominately centrally or isolated against defenders in and around the box consistently will work well, they are that good together. Especially as they are now both starting to share the mutually beneficial philosophy of valuing the assist as much as the goal. If they continue to make excellent decision-making, knowing when to lay and when to shoot, I think we will continue to be as clinical and dominant as we have been in the games mentioned before on our travels this season in the rest of the games away from Anfield.

The formation allowed us to be tight and compact, drop slightly deeper as a unit especially after the first 20 minutes, where I thought we attacked intelligently without ever over-committing; Henderson making a few of his only real direct runs in key areas during his more conservative positioning for the majority of the match. I thought he did well again today, he shows a commitment and drive in any of the roles he is assigned to play, starting to appreciate the honesty the boy brings with his performances. I thought he covered and pressed well most notably towards the end, showing that he can be decent cleaning up in fullback positions as well as pressing from the front.

Next to him I thought Stevie was fantastic again. He dropped in at the right time, I can see why some may have said he could play centre half, he drops back to make the three at dangerous moments and deals with it cleanly, started to lose track of how many headers he has won in the box the last few months. And reduced attacking time seems to make him more determined to truly be decisive in the moments that he can directly influence the offensive side of the team. Free kicks, corners, penalties, quick early passes in and behind, the man is in epic form, he seems resurgent after being dropped back, even hungrier than before. His experience as a player will be reassuring to Skrtel/Kolo and Agger/Sakho at the back, I am sure vocally he spurs them on, and has shown a willingness to take responsibility in dangerous situations, this is a firm foundation to build on.

And building on firm foundations is what they used to make me sing about in church when I was but a wee boy.. Not only good footballing principles but also excellent flooding advice if you live in the South of England.

In all seriousness, having the pace we have up top, it does allow us to drop and sit deep when we feel we have to, some of the positioning of the attacking players when we were defending helped relieve the pressure on the backline when we were hemmed in but also directly led to good final third entries. The spaces (usually inside channel from the left or right around the half way line) that all of Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez find regularly allows us to counter so well (the run up to the throw for the first goal is a key example). Coupled with Coutinho, Gerrard, Allen and increasingly the centre backs finding these long passes into the correct areas is helping us to become as dangerous in defence as in attack. We attack with three as well as we do with five at times, and at St Mary's I thought we found an excellent balance of when to make the extra runs and when to sit.

I think Southampton are an excellent side too. They played through our 'press' on a few occasions, and I am sure that their management will be disappointed with some of the play in the good positions that they got into. I rate the boy Lallana, with an extra yard of pace (I'm a bad speed head) he would look lovely at us, one who I would love to see Rodgers 'get his hands on' so to speak. I thought Southampton used spaces left by marauding full backs and centre backs well, Lallana creating the space and arriving in it equally well, similarly with the Jay Rodriquez who I think is another good young player (also lacking a yard or two of that magic ingredient).

Quick word on the fullbacks. Both sets. All English, and all had decent games. Glad to see Johnson looking strong in the tackle and pretty solid on the left, he is one we need on song for the next 10, he could be a point or 2 extra on his own if he can really find a decent stretch of form, always scores against West Ham, be nice if he could add another to that list. I thought Flanagan was decent, went when he should have stayed once or twice but he is another that brings an honesty to his trade and kept it as tidy as he could. It was similar for the two young lads playing for The Saints, a lot of attention is being given to Luke Shaw but I was equally impressed with the RB Chambers. Both seem strong, quick lads, direct and tidy in possession, both with decent reading of the game (Chambers on the line when the keeper goes to meet Sturridges blast across goal), he dropped in to help his CB's at times too. Both still full of running at 90 minutes also. As a neutral I would be disappointed not to have seen more of both in the final third, as a Liverpool fan I am relieved we never really had to.

A performance I am sure I will remember well when sitting down in 2020 watching Premiership Years 2013/14, be lovely if its the episode where Liverpool finally win the title. If not I at least suspect it will be another early example of how good we went on to be at playing on the road against a good team and leaving with a dominating result.

10 games. A near fully fit squad, players in top form and confidence everywhere in sight. Time to prepare in between games, forward-thinking from the gaffer (in both senses), the ability to defend with 7 and still look utterly dangerous..

Can we win all 10?.. probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised if we went unbeaten or only lost one. We seem too confident, too hungry, too fearless and yet gritty and protective when we need to be to lose many.

The longer we can keep up the title talk, the further we are in succeeding in our primary aim of securing Champions League football. After the Soton game, after the 6th or 7th beer/amaretto sour/mojito I started to think of the Champions League nights past and the ones to come. The ones to come. As they surely now will. And great nights they will be. Maybe some of the greatest.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #44 on: March 4, 2014, 09:55:10 pm »
This was a game I looked at with trepidation so full marks to the team led by a manager who has come on leaps and bounds this season.

I remember watching us well beaten down there last season and feeling lucky it was only 3-1 and more recently sitting at Anfield during our lone home defeat and watching Soton toy with us during the last 10 minutes such was their dominance.

The plan to cope with their press worked well except for the spell they had before h.t. and as Coutinho was off his game from his first touch it was no wonder we were hanging on to our slender lead. I don't agree that we were lucky though. If Mignolet was making save after save and chances were going begging then I might say we were fortunate.

In fact, if our front two had taken some half chances we would be looking at another Spurs result such was our dominance in the second half. Most of their shots were long range and off target.

Coutinho was the only negative and even looked tired early in the game. He couldn't do the simple things which reminded me of players suffering from nerves in a big Wembley Cup Final. Did the build up to the game affect him? As far as I am aware he hasn't played in many big matches although his display against Arsenal showed it didn't phase him at all.

With defensive players returning from injury we look in good shape for the final part of the season. All eyes on the internationals now, not for the results, which I couldn't care less about, but for any injuries which could hurt us.

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #45 on: March 4, 2014, 10:28:06 pm »
This was a game I looked at with trepidation so full marks to the team led by a manager who has come on leaps and bounds this season.

I remember watching us well beaten down there last season and feeling lucky it was only 3-1 and more recently sitting at Anfield during our lone home defeat and watching Soton toy with us during the last 10 minutes such was their dominance.

The plan to cope with their press worked well except for the spell they had before h.t. and as Coutinho was off his game from his first touch it was no wonder we were hanging on to our slender lead. I don't agree that we were lucky though. If Mignolet was making save after save and chances were going begging then I might say we were fortunate.

In fact, if our front two had taken some half chances we would be looking at another Spurs result such was our dominance in the second half. Most of their shots were long range and off target.

Coutinho was the only negative and even looked tired early in the game. He couldn't do the simple things which reminded me of players suffering from nerves in a big Wembley Cup Final. Did the build up to the game affect him? As far as I am aware he hasn't played in many big matches although his display against Arsenal showed it didn't phase him at all.

With defensive players returning from injury we look in good shape for the final part of the season. All eyes on the internationals now, not for the results, which I couldn't care less about, but for any injuries which could hurt us.

They were very good during the 45minutes between our first and second goals, otherwise we were in control for the first 15 and last 30, and had more chances in those periods than they did during their good spells. Apart from Lallana hitting the post and the Mignolet save on Rodriguez I can't remember that many clear cut chances for them. Our back line really did have a solid game.

I disagree with the criticism of Coutinho to an extent though. Southampton always had Cork and Schneiderlin pressing him as soon as he got the ball to limit the space he got to turn and run forwards, so essentially forced his first move to be backwards or sideways most of the time. He didn't have wide outlets due to our narrow formation which didn't help his cause. I can agree that he could have been more proactive defensively though, as several times he let his man just stroll past him with the ball which is very unlike him in recent times.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #46 on: March 4, 2014, 10:57:56 pm »
For me the Fulham game a few weeks ago was a watershed moment in our season and this was another one, yet another marker of incredible progression.

We had our backs against the wall in periods, we rode our luck at times, we needed Simon Mignolet to pull off a brilliant save to stop them getting back into the game.  But aside from having players who possess breathtaking individual quality, this squad has an abundance of character.

It was a strange experience watching this game because once we took the lead, I never doubted we would win.  I'm not used to that feeling, even at half time in the Arsenal game I was nervous and fearful that we would fall victim to a comeback of epic proportions.  That fear was obviously was obviously ridiculously unfounded but it has always been there for me, I just can't relax when I watch a Liverpool game and I'm sure I'm not the only one.  But as soon as Luis Suarez took advantage of a mistake by Jose Fonte and effortlessly put the ball into the corner of the net, any anxiety or nerves that I had had vanished and were replaced by an absolute conviction that we had the three points in the bag.

It was a strange feeling but one I could get used to.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #47 on: March 4, 2014, 11:00:14 pm »
Coutinho had a bad game, true. But I think in this diamond formation his was the only position that was totally different than the in the 433. It was visible that he did not know when to help the defence and when to press. He had to position himself according to the two strikers, and our two elusive strikers are hard to synchronise with.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #48 on: March 5, 2014, 08:47:46 am »
He also brought Suso to the club iirc, which could yet be a brilliant signing.
We'll he revolutionised the academy, I think he can be credited with turning the ship around and putting it on course for a positive future. That's an enormous legacy we can Thank him for. Imagine how we would be set now if he didn't address the academy and only bought players for the first team, I reckon we would be in dire straights. I would figure the potential of the academy was a big factor in Rodgers coming here.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: March 5, 2014, 09:30:33 am »
Gerrard talked about that after the game and correctly pointed to it as evidence that this team learns. Absolutely.

This is the single most important and pleasing attribute of the Club, the manager and this team.  The ability to learn.

And by the way?

It’s on.

Bang on

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #50 on: March 5, 2014, 09:56:08 pm »

The Sterling substitution was perfect, and not just because he scored. It changed the game at a time when it needed to be changed and gave Southampton a different problem to worry about.

Could not agree more, Coutinho was just not working. I was just blown away by the timing of the substitution, it was class by both manager and player.

I personally thought Johnson was too narrow. Their number 22, who i since learnt was Calcum Chambers was always running into that space, in fact having almost the whole of the half way line to the bi line, was more often than not able to cross balls in. But i accept that is probably where Rodgers wanted him to play and told him to play there.

But it doesn't matter, it was an amazing result, again. I agree the score possibly does not reflect how well Southampton played, in the first half. But i think you would have to agree what it really shows is how well we are playing.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2014, 02:13:16 pm »
Lovely thread.

We won't have a tougher away game than that for the rest of the season (including the upcoming match v Man U). It's a little miracle that we came away 3 goals to the good. Great to see Agger back - and what a player Raheem Sterling already is.

I'd take Luke Shaw at the drop of a hat. Though I suspect he'll fetch a hefty fee when he does finally leave Soton. What a prospect though. Flanagan did a good job trying to restrain him but it was tough work.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2014, 02:14:33 pm »
Could not agree more, Coutinho was just not working. I was just blown away by the timing of the substitution, it was class by both manager and player.

Although, oddly enough, Coutinho had his best 5 minutes just before he was subbed.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.