Author Topic: FT Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool (Redmond 20')  (Read 31859 times)

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
Re: FT Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool (Redmond 20')
« Reply #320 on: January 11, 2017, 10:36:50 pm »
Honestly, you'd think we were losing games left, right and centre. Why should we jump on the transfer narrative the moment we lose a single game.

It's been a really good season and we've got a great manager and coach in Klopp.

Go to bed.

Mate at mid season if our players are looking lethargic and leggy you don't think we need reinforcements?

Especially the way Klopp likes to play full on.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #321 on: January 11, 2017, 10:37:02 pm »
Or it might be great. Not sure why it's glass half full time.

Such drama after a slender loss in a game of medium importance.

Personally, I was saying we need to sign long before this game. Mane is our only elite wide player and without him our attack lacks any kind of pace.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
FT Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool (Redmond 20')
« Reply #322 on: January 11, 2017, 10:37:30 pm »
A fairly good team beat us at their place, whilst we have some important players away on international duty, out injured or just returning from injury. Even then they only managed to beat us by one goal and still need to come back to our place, where those injured players should all be back to their normal selves.
to be honest I do understand. Tonight anyway

Lucas Emre and Wij in middle were completely over run

But our pressing game is completely gone. We need speed Sunday. Origi is a must instead of Sturridge other wise you'll have united squeezing the life out of us on the halfway line
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline JLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: January 11, 2017, 10:37:36 pm »
I don't think this tie or over by any stretch of the imagine in fact given the level of performance tonight (bar Karius who was exceptional and Coutinho when he came on he madr a difference) the result is the best thing because it could of easily been a lot worse.  We take them back to our place where everyone will be well up for this and singing there hearts out. Anfield is a different animal on semi final nights and I'm expecting a response from the team in 13 days time. Weve got a world class manager in Klopp and given our league position last season we have put ourselves in a brilliant position to kick on.
No point in blowing this defeat out of portion look at the bigger picture.

Come on redmen!

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #324 on: January 11, 2017, 10:38:47 pm »
to be honest I do understand. Tonight anyway

Lucas Emre and Wij in middle were completely over run

But our pressing game is completely gone. We need speed Sunday. Origi is a must instead of Sturridge other wise you'll have united squeezing the life out of us on the halfway line

Our team looks tired - which is not surprising; some of our players have played huge minutes in the first half of the year

Offline Bold Warrior

• Anny Roader
« Reply #325 on: January 11, 2017, 10:39:56 pm »
It was Karius and Lucas who could hold their heads up today. The rest...they didn't do themselves justice or us as a team.

I cant get my head round why Lucas is getting so much stick tonight.He is still the best at the club in the pure holding role for me.Id have him in there and play hendo further forward.If you watch him he always gets his head up and tries to play forward.He is also generally a one or two touch player.
Im a Can fan as well....at least an in form Can but i think hes suffering because hes not playing regularly.Under Rodgers and Jurgen last season when he was playing week in week out he was decent.
The squad is looking thread bare at the moment,were gonna need 3 or 4 players this summer plus replacements for anyone that leaves so surely we ought to have been signing a couple this window? There must be money there and plenty of it but over the last few seasons weve got our business done earlier as a rule so maybe nothings going to happen? I would have thought a Mane deputy would be in place before the visit to the shitehole.
Im not worried about the second leg but Sundays a bigger worry on current form. Saying that we generally pull out a performance against the bigger sides so fingers crossed.

Offline Greyfox

• Silver Fox's less distinguished brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird on my chest
« Reply #326 on: January 11, 2017, 10:40:00 pm »
Remember Villareal...get your arse there and fucking lift the team.

That is all

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #327 on: January 11, 2017, 10:40:06 pm »
I know Lucas has had his injury woes, but it's hard to believe he just turned 30 2 days ago. He was absolutely fucked n that race for the ball against Long, who isn't slow but not exactly someone who he should be completely bullied by

Long is very fast and strong. But Lucas misjudged his run. Should have stayed more central than go for the ball.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: January 11, 2017, 10:41:11 pm »
Pretty sure not long ago we had players running off each other enthusiastically. Bursting into the box.

Now, we're just recycling the ball to each other with no vertical penetration at all - and taking a touch too long to do it. It was almost Brendan like tonight - and Sunday.

We seem to have lost our va va voom. We were cocky and confident, last couple of games we've seemed nervous and unsure of what to do. Like theres no defined plan that the players are buying in to.

Been a bit odd since West Ham.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #329 on: January 11, 2017, 10:41:48 pm »
I cant get my head round why Lucas is getting so much stick tonight.He is still the best at the club in the pure holding role for me.Id have him in there and play hendo further forward.If you watch him he always gets his head up and tries to play forward.He is also generally a one or two touch player.

Because we lost. So people who aren't fans of him, or are fans of his alternative...or in general people who like to revise history because of a result, will give him stick. Happens a lot, and to many players.

But Lucas was more than fine. There were two 7+/10 performances in this game on our team and one of them was Lucas.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #330 on: January 11, 2017, 10:42:35 pm »
Long is very fast and strong. But Lucas misjudged his run. Should have stayed more central than go for the ball.

Lucas' legs were gone. It happens somewhere around the 70 minute mark every time he plays in midfield and has done since his last injuries; its bonkers he's still at the club.

Offline Bold Warrior

• Anny Roader
« Reply #331 on: January 11, 2017, 10:44:04 pm »
Pretty sure not long ago we had players running off each other enthusiastically. Bursting into the box.

Now, we're just recycling the ball to each other with no vertical penetration at all - and taking a touch too long to do it. It was almost Brendan like tonight - and Sunday.

We seem to have lost our va va voom. We were cocky and confident, last couple of games we've seemed nervous and unsure of what to do. Like theres no defined plan that the players are buying in to.

Been a bit odd since West Ham.

Is gegenpressing possible over a season with this thin squad.It does make you wonder......Firmino has looked knackered for weeks but theres no one to replce him.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: January 11, 2017, 10:45:09 pm »

But our pressing game is completely gone.

This is the strangest bit. We just aren't doing it any more.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: January 11, 2017, 10:47:01 pm »
We were pretty poor. Poorest we've looked since second half v Sevilla.

Few people looking way out of form and we looked a bit slow in mind, devoid of creativity, or possibly unpredictability more importantly. We just didn't look like stretching them in behind - and like the 13/14 team looked easy to break on.

I'd be worried by that, myself. Which is mad considering how good we've been this year. Are Henderson (stability) and Mane (threat) that important? Defintely on that showing? Speed and movement is crucial to what we do with the ball. Mane brings pace, Henderson sets tempo. Maybe even more important than Phil who can make it all purr. Pressing isn't the issue, we had over 60% possession.

Hopefully I'm full of shit and that's just a blip though. But a wee system change for the month might be best for all?

Good result for a potential rip roarer of a second leg anyway.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:48:46 pm by Chip Evans »

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #334 on: January 11, 2017, 10:47:46 pm »
Is gegenpressing possible over a season with this thin squad.It does make you wonder......Firmino has looked knackered for weeks but theres no one to replce him.
The likes of Sturridge and Can had tons of rest this season, Lallana too due to couple of injuries. They were all really poor tonight. Fatigue has nothing to do with today's game, we saw the exact same game against them in the league. They're practically built to play against us. Extremely disciplined, they suffocate the space between the lines and make it impossible for us to get in between them. We weren't that much better in a league game there at all.

Offline Greek Ern

• Kemlynite
« Reply #335 on: January 11, 2017, 10:48:02 pm »
Because we lost. So people who aren't fans of him, or are fans of his alternative...or in general people who like to revise history because of a result, will give him stick. Happens a lot, and to many players.

But Lucas was more than fine. There were two 7+/10 performances in this game on our team and one of them was Lucas.
Probably the most level headed post of the thread.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #336 on: January 11, 2017, 10:48:07 pm »
Comfortably our worst performance of the season for me but the overreaction and doom and gloom of some is insane.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #337 on: January 11, 2017, 10:48:15 pm »
Why aren't we pressing anymore? I can only assume Klopp has changed things around and thinks we don't need to do it anymore. I know when you dominate possession you can't do it but there has been plenty of times now in the past few weeks where we haven't had the ball but we just don't do it anymore.
Justice for the 97

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #338 on: January 11, 2017, 10:48:42 pm »
Poor impression the Arse seem to be trying to score the 40 passes perfect goal but after all we could and should have been in a far worse position than 1-0 down after an away first leg , so forget it and move on and make sure we twat them back at our place
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #339 on: January 11, 2017, 10:48:56 pm »
First off that could have been worse. We've turned round 1 goal losses in this competition before and we can do it again.

Secondly Phil is back, praise the Lord.

Thirdly...well that'll do for now. Not a great night but credit to Southampton they were well organised and very solid in midfield.

Get Henderson back, Lallana back in midfield and Phil on the left and we'll look a lot better. Even with our reduced mojo that will just help us control things better.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: January 11, 2017, 10:49:26 pm »
The likes of Sturridge and Can had tons of rest this season, Lallana too due to couple of injuries. They were all really poor tonight. Fatigue has nothing to do with today's game, we saw the exact same game against them in the league. They're practically built to play against us. Extremely disciplined, they suffocate the space between the lines and make it impossible for us to get in between them. We weren't that much better in a league game there at all.

We had quite a few chances in the league game against them though. We had one good chance tonight and that was fairly early on. We also prevented them from launching many meaningful counter attacks in the previous game, they were cutting us open with ease tonight.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: January 11, 2017, 10:49:28 pm »
Probably the most level headed post of the thread.

Hello GrkStav! :wave
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: January 11, 2017, 10:49:55 pm »
We really need so additions to help the squad
Sunday for me is a pivotal game and I would grab your hang if you offered me a draw
Matip, hendo and coutinho need to start
Sturridge makes way for firmini up front
But jeez the lack of true pace is starting to worry me without mane

Offline Bold Warrior

• Anny Roader
« Reply #343 on: January 11, 2017, 10:50:56 pm »
We were pretty poor. Poorest we've looked since second half v Sevilla.

Few people looking way out of form and we looked a bit slow in mind, devoid of creativity, or possibly unpredictability more importantly. We just didn't look like stretching them in behind - and like the 13/14 team looked easy to break on.

I'd be worried by that, myself. Which is mad considering how good we've been this year. Are Henderson (stability) and Mane (threat) that important? Defintely on that showing? Speed and movement is crucial to what we do with the ball. Mane brings pace, Henderson sets tempo. Maybe even more important than Phil who can make it all purr. Pressing isn't the issue, we had over 60% possession.

Hopefully I'm full of shit and that's just a blip though. But a wee system change for the month might be best for all?

Good result for a potential rip roarer of a second leg anyway.

We did look tired in the Sevilla second half and that was after the fixture congestion eased.Almost like we needed to play every 3/4 days.Weve also just had a decent break as far as the frst eleven is concerned and have looked sluggish again.Strange.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: January 11, 2017, 10:52:11 pm »
Lucas' legs were gone. It happens somewhere around the 70 minute mark every time he plays in midfield and has done since his last injuries; its bonkers he's still at the club.

It's bonkers he's playing full matches anywhere on the pitch, but full on insane at centre midfield.

I love the guy, and am a fan of how he uses the ball, but football doesnt happen in a vacuum. even on a day when his passing is perfect, his positioning is perfect and his tackling is perfect, he costs us. Because on about 65 minutes he is physically shot. Yes, if you're only watching Lucas when he has the ball at his feet he can still appear to be playing fine. But without the ball, he is a disaster.

Look at the number of counter attacks they had on us where they were so ahead of lucas and the back two that they should have scored tap ins. It doesn't look as bad as a mistake from a centre back, or a failure to mark, when he's so far away (and so slow to get back) that you forget the counter attacks are going through where our DM should be. I thought it was an odd decision to start him, but it worked ok for about 15 minutes. But to keep him on, and leave stewart/origi on the bench, seemed negligent to me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:54:59 pm by Classycara »

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: January 11, 2017, 10:53:05 pm »
0-1. A disappointing performance. We were not close to scoring. They had the best 4-5 chances. Really good ones too. Thought we lacked a threat in the center. When we play a CM of Wijnaldum, Can and Lucas, we needed creativity from mainly Can and Wijnaldum and we didn't get it. Nor did we get the runs to threaten. Sturridge was invisible. Lallana too. When Coutinho came on, we seeked him all the time, which is fine. But he needed tatgets.

The result is not the worst. We have the second leg at home and it's up to us. I think Southampton will be disappointed they only got a one goal lead with them.

We need to sharpen up for the weekend. Hope Henderson is back.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Bold Warrior

• Anny Roader
« Reply #346 on: January 11, 2017, 10:53:23 pm »

Sturrige wouldnt press hard if he had a month in Barbados to be fair.Both Can and Lallana have had injury spells...not exactly rest.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: January 11, 2017, 10:53:42 pm »
Felt like the villareal away game. Fingers crossed the home legs like the villareal 2nd leg
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #348 on: January 11, 2017, 10:53:47 pm »
Why aren't we pressing anymore? I can only assume Klopp has changed things around and thinks we don't need to do it anymore. I know when you dominate possession you can't do it but there has been plenty of times now in the past few weeks where we haven't had the ball but we just don't do it anymore.

we have not needed to press as much as in te first part of the season as then they didnt realise how good we had become than the penny dropped and they sit deep trying to stop us playing whilst at the same time they just concede possession to us. we have about 70% of the bal or more lately we dont need to press the ssame.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #349 on: January 11, 2017, 10:56:29 pm »
He's a nice lad, and deserves a testimonial I'm sure. But he really shouldn't be playing for the first team anymore. If we can't move him on, let's get him on the U23s where his experience could be really useful without having to cope with the chasm of when he plays in the first team.

"Chasm" ?

What does that say about our manager, who kept him on, whilst subbing other players?

Either Klopp or you, is badly lacking the ability to judge what's happening on the pitch. I'll leave it to others to decide whom.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:02:02 pm by Robinred »
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: January 11, 2017, 10:57:11 pm »
We did look tired in the Sevilla second half and that was after the fixture congestion eased.Almost like we needed to play every 3/4 days.Weve also just had a decent break as far as the frst eleven is concerned and have looked sluggish again.Strange.

Yeah maybe it's a case of rythym. This part of the season, between Christmas fixtures and cup competitions - the games are all over the place. Possibly doesn't suit us?

I think we're just a bit thin on back ups, that suit plan A anyway and need a tweak to grind out the next month or so.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: January 11, 2017, 10:57:23 pm »
Also remember Klopp's last season in charge at Dortmund. Because of injuries, they were in the relegation zone around this time in that season, but they pulled themselves up and finished in a European spot. We've had a bit of bad luck with injuries as well, yet we're still second in the table.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: January 11, 2017, 10:58:56 pm »
Also remember Klopp's last season in charge at Dortmund. Because of injuries, they were in the relegation zone around this time in that season, but they pulled themselves up and finished in a European spot. We've had a bit of bad luck with injuries as well, yet we're still second in the table.

I would say we've had fairly decent luck with injuries. Key players in areas we have almost no depth have managed to avoid injury despite playing huge minutes (Clyne, Milner, Firmino, Mane).

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: January 11, 2017, 10:59:03 pm »
"Chasm" ?

Why does that say about our manager, who kept him on, whilst subbing other players?

Either Klopp or you, is badly lacking the ability to judge what's happening on the pitch. I'll leave it to others to decide whom.

It says we went to a quasi-back 3 with Coutinho dropping into the hole, Can and Lallana either side of him and the two full backs playing in a very advanced position. Lucas' technical and tactical qualities are easily champions league/Europa league level. His physical attributes are lower league level these days. He simply doesn't have the legs to play in our system that relies so much on the defensive midfielder shutting down attacks down the sides of the centre backs these days.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: January 11, 2017, 10:59:11 pm »
Looked to me as though we had one eye on United both mentally and in how we setup to play.

We will do them at Anfield. They made a huge mistake not going for the second.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #355 on: January 11, 2017, 11:00:33 pm »

We've drawn an away league game after a days rest, drawn a cup game with kids and lost one nil in the away first leg of a semi final. Certainly not a disaster by any stretch and we're hopefully getting Coutinho, Hendo and Matip back which should massively limit how long the likes of Lucas and Can see on the pitch.

Still three disappointing performances but the perfect man to sort it out.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #356 on: January 11, 2017, 11:02:02 pm »
Looked to me as though we had one eye on United both mentally and in how we setup to play.

They certainly went for the second but Karius and their bad luck prevented us having a greater hill to claim.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #357 on: January 11, 2017, 11:03:40 pm »

They did go for it tbf

They could have played more expansive in going for goals, but it would have been a bit silly when they were carving us open regardless of their sitting back, and restricting us to hopeful shots and crosses

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #358 on: January 11, 2017, 11:04:31 pm »
Well I'm blaming that kit.

Fluorescent yellow means defeat.

All 3 this season if memory serves. Burnley, Bournemouth, and Soton.

Unbeaten in the other kits.

Sort it Jurgen for Sunday please.
I'm glad I hardly look at these post match threads these days. Dear, oh dear...   ::)

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #359 on: January 11, 2017, 11:04:44 pm »
it's a Cup so only the results matter, to hell with performances.

So from that perspective there's no good reason why we don't advance.  Just need to get the job done at home.