Author Topic: Players signed by Rafael Benitez  (Read 164350 times)

Offline aristeia

• Main Stander
  • ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Re: Players signed by Rafael Benitez
« Reply #160 on: November 2, 2009, 03:29:28 pm »
Wonderful post, thank you!

It isn't whether or not Rafa's the best manager in the world or the best manager we've ever had.  It's whether or not Rafa's the best manager for US at this moment in time.

For what he's done for us, for how he's constantly trying to improve the team and even players who are already considered the best in the world, for how he takes it on the chin over and over again in the press and always shows up... for the love of Fowler, have his back!  Not everything he will do or has done is perfect.  Same is the case for Stevie, Fernando, etc.  Well, since Stevie's been out so much, he's not really contributing to the squad.  Time to give the Captain the ol' heave ho and find us a new one, eh? 

Speaking of, the improvement of Steven Gerrard under Rafa is incredible.  I can't say for sure that had someone else come in instead of Rafa, that Stevie wouldn't have excelled like he has... but I have doubts.  Stevie said himself that Rafa has continued to push him to be better, even when he himself thought he did well.  If that's not the manager for us, then please... tell me who is.

Whatever, this is how I felt at the end of the Fulham game and it hasn't changed a bit:

:scarf

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: November 2, 2009, 03:31:20 pm »

Rafa took over from Hector Cuper who had built a fantastic squad and he was effectively starting from scratch with a few exceptions when he took over the reigns here.

But how much did that fantastic squad cost in comparison to Real Madrid and Barcelona?

And the squad he inherited here was the bones of a Champion's League winning team.

« Last Edit: November 2, 2009, 03:33:38 pm by Barney_Rubble »
87:13

Offline aristeia

• Main Stander
  • ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
« Reply #162 on: November 2, 2009, 03:33:06 pm »
Bellamy looks good now, but most of us were glad to be rid of him for a profit.

There's just some players I don't WANT on my team... quality or no.  I'd like to maintain our classy image w/ players like Torres... as opposed to players like Crisco-- er, I mean C Ronaldo.  I don't care if they can score a goal, if they're a douche I don't want them here.  Bellamy going was a positive for me for sure.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2009, 03:34:53 pm by aristeia »

Offline giasando

• invented football
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #163 on: November 2, 2009, 03:34:50 pm »
What's not to say do not compare in terms of financial transfers of the club with other clubs. other clubs in other financial opportunities.
Regarding signing Rafa it seems to me that Rafa brought in most cases not needed this club people.
But what is most interesting is that there is a belief that everybody loves a winner. So even more strange, it seems to me that after 2005, Rafa has put on the transfer of all absolutely, except for Steve and Carra. Probably afraid of the KOP, and perhaps for this reason did not sell them to Chelsea. :-[
I still can not understand what Neil Mellor worse than Voronin or even Babel?!
 :'(

Offline Zapata316

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #164 on: November 2, 2009, 03:45:22 pm »
The fact is that Rafa is (almost) universally respected abroad as a fantastic coach, and is (almost) universally derided in England. Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder why???

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: November 2, 2009, 04:10:30 pm »
I'm not Rafa basher but the posts on here are getting as hysterical in his defence as they are to attack him.

He's spent a lot of money on a lot of players.  Quoting players who arrived under his watch and left for a decent fee isn't a good thing.  A good thing would be to have bought players that were good enough to have improved the team AND stayed.

I understand the constraints we're playing under, but we could have spent the money more wisely, and on less players.

Offline Classic goal

• Kopite
« Reply #166 on: November 2, 2009, 04:22:45 pm »
I'm not Rafa basher but the posts on here are getting as hysterical in his defence as they are to attack him.

He's spent a lot of money on a lot of players.  Quoting players who arrived under his watch and left for a decent fee isn't a good thing.  A good thing would be to have bought players that were good enough to have improved the team AND stayed.

I understand the constraints we're playing under, but we could have spent the money more wisely, and on less players.

But that's the point, the constraints we are under have forced him to build up the squad incrementally. I don't think anyones even saying he's perfect, but appreciate the circumstances he is under, a net spend of £80m in six seasons is a fucking joke for a club that has ambitions of winning titles. Especially when he's been competing with the mancs and Chelsea, and now City.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: November 2, 2009, 04:24:44 pm »
Another one...

The thing is this.
I attempted to discuss the points you raised as quite a few have.
You chose to ignore that in favour of making an equally baseless totally unrelated point.

So if you expect a reasoned response and to be treated with respect....have the decency to to respond correctly.
Saying the same thing over and over again without taking account of what is said to you will only result in one thing.

You continue to do it....ergo.........you don't half talk some shite!
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline giasando

• invented football
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #168 on: November 2, 2009, 04:25:53 pm »
The fact is that Rafa is (almost) universally respected abroad as a fantastic coach, and is (almost) universally derided in England. Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder why???
The fact that you can not guess?
It took him four years in England (you know, this is a time for everyone respected coach?) That it would win the match in Manchester!
And in the end it is this (you know what the resource potential in the hands of his!) Resources in England, he won almost nothing

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #169 on: November 2, 2009, 04:29:58 pm »

You’ll only miss him when he’s gone….

-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 2, 2009, 04:31:03 pm »
I'm a Rafa fan and i hope he stays. However, when you are manager of this club you have pretty much got to get ever transfer right to be able to compete with the top sides. Generally he's done pretty well but players like Babel, Dossena, and to a certain extent Pennant and Keane have been pretty awful. If he had got these right we may well be in a different predictament now and he has to be held responsible to a certain extent. Every manager makes mistakes and I'll let him off for early errors like Morientes but he needs to get it right from now on. I'm hoping, perhaps naively, that now he has full control things will improve and  there will be no more Babels or Dossenas joining. Hopefully he'll be with us for many transfer windows yet.   

There have been other managers in our illustrious history that have made worse purchases than Rafa.
Sop to say that being the manager of this club, you have to get every transfer right is wide of the mark.

In fact there have been far worse, far more expensive signings made by other 'top' clubs that are largely ignored, simply because they have had the money to waste or the expectation levels are less.
There will be more players who come in and don't have the impact that was expected of them at all clubs.
Some times they work.......sometimes they don't.

As Bob Paisley once said....."If you could live with some of the players you buy for 6 months before you bought them.........you probably wouldn't buy them"
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #171 on: November 2, 2009, 04:32:06 pm »
It took him four years in England (you know, this is a time for everyone respected coach?) That it would win the match in Manchester!
And in the end it is this (you know what the resource potential in the hands of his!) Resources in England, he won almost nothing
Que?

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: November 2, 2009, 04:32:08 pm »

Is this an anagram?

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Pepe Silvia

• Anny Roader
  • real ale chilled she'll tell shell
« Reply #173 on: November 2, 2009, 04:32:28 pm »
But how much did that fantastic squad cost in comparison to Real Madrid and Barcelona?

And the squad he inherited here was the bones of a Champion's League winning team.

Valencia's point totals in the 3 seasons Rafa was manager:

75 (1st), 60 (5th), 77 (1st)

You should be able to work this out.

Offline Bangers N Masch

• Legacy Fan
  • Backing Hodgson.
« Reply #174 on: November 2, 2009, 04:36:08 pm »
Yup. However you'd have to say Rafa had a 'mare in the 08/09 summer transfer window. Ironically we went on to have our best season after it...
'Nights like the semi-final back in 2005 live long in the memory of anyone who witnessed it, never mind me as an opposition player. That night has always stuck in my head and given me the desire to one day play in a red shirt and help the club return to its former glory days.'

Muted for 12 days for calling Rafa fat.

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: November 2, 2009, 04:38:53 pm »
He isn't going anywhere

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
  • I just can't get enough...
« Reply #176 on: November 2, 2009, 04:40:31 pm »
Well researched!!!  :)

I am fed up of everyone outside the club going on about Rafa's spending. Hes the manager he can buy who he likes (within reason). Yes we have had our fair share of flops, which team hasn't? (even though our flops seem to have Rafa scrutinised more than other managers...ok he is the manager of a big team so that does have something to do with it). But the majority of the team (bar Carra, Gerrard and Hypia last season) is Rafas and that team have beat the best of the best in Madrid, Inter, Arsenal, Chelsea and united in recent times. Rafa rubbish in the transfer market?!!

Rafa has brough in players such as Torres, who was an absolute bargain. United's Berbatov cost nearly £10 mill more and I know who I would prefer in my team. Mascharano, an Argentine international, (when on form) is probably a bargain also. If we look at our other quality players such as Reina, Agger, Kuyt, Insua and Benny what bargains they were in reality to what other 'big' clubs spend on their top players. Players also come here not really known or injured and thrive, Alonso is an example of this. Rafa has helped to make some of our players the best in the league and perhaps the world. Even Gerrard has benefitted from Rafa's formations and style of play.

Already we have had criticism for how much Johnson and Aquilani cost. Johnson has very much proved to us already what a good buy he is, in my opinion. He has settled into the team well, grabbed some goals, sets up goals and despite criticism, defended very well against man united. Already Aquilani has shown promise, but no, the media didn't give him a hope in hell with his injuries and were quick to rebuke Rafa for the buy. We haven't got the money that Chelsea, Man city and to some extent United have to throw around and bid for players who are the finished article. The price of players is going up, decent bargains are hard to come buy, especially if your name is Liverpool FC.

It seems that the media, pundits and rival fans are quick to judge Rafa's buys without doing their research and its good that most of us fans can see through the rubbish written and spouted and realise that the crazy transfer spending of Rafa is a myth. In reality  the guy is putting together a great first team with the cash he has had. If only we did have the extra cash to improve backup players, may be the media wouldn't be quick to judge...but then again, that's as likely as us having the extra cash.
“Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.”

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #177 on: November 2, 2009, 04:41:54 pm »
But that's the point, the constraints we are under have forced him to build up the squad incrementally. I don't think anyones even saying he's perfect, but appreciate the circumstances he is under, a net spend of £80m in six seasons is a fucking joke for a club that has ambitions of winning titles. Especially when he's been competing with the mancs and Chelsea, and now City.

I don't totally discount "net" at all, but it can be misleading.
He's still spent the money he's spent.  It doesn't quite work as an argument to quote money he's made from players he's signed - because the fact they've moved on is over-all a bad thing.  Either they weren't good enough, or they didn't want to stay.
Any in any case, he's still spent the money - and it's plain to see from our squad, it's still quite weak.

Put it another way:
Inherit a team with Dudek, Carragher, Hyppia, Finnan, Riise, Hamann, Gerrard, Murphy and Owen - add £220m (or £90m net - if you go by BHB's figures, which I'm not sure I do) and you should end up with a better team than we've got now.

We've got a great keeper, a superb right-back, a potentially great defender in Agger, a good defensive midfielder in Masch, and a great striker in Torres. 
Add that onto Gerrard, and it's not a great return for your investment.

The "who would get into the other top team" argument is also flawed, but it can be a decent guide, and we're not good enough as individuals, and currently not working well together (for a massive amount of reasons) as a team.

That doesn't mean "Rafa out" by a long way, but it does mean it's fair to point the finger a little and ask "why", instead of skewing the £s in and out to show that he's performed miracles.

In 2006 we were one point behind the mancs, we've outspent them since and are still behind them.  Another "why?" is valid.

Offline giasando

• invented football
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #178 on: November 2, 2009, 04:42:03 pm »
Que?
What Que?
I think over time that he was not such a great manager, as many would like.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #179 on: November 2, 2009, 04:46:05 pm »
What Que?
I think over time that he was not such a great manager, as many would like.
OK, I understand that English is not your first language but what you posted didn't make much sense I'm afraid.

I now understand you well enough to disagree with you completely.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: November 2, 2009, 04:46:29 pm »

Valencia's point totals in the 3 seasons Rafa was manager:

75 (1st), 60 (5th), 77 (1st)

You should be able to work this out.

Work what out?

That doesn't answer the question.

In fact, does that even mean anything.

« Last Edit: November 2, 2009, 04:50:17 pm by Barney_Rubble »

Offline Wiggles

• Anny Roader
« Reply #181 on: November 2, 2009, 04:50:31 pm »
The problem with any argument over transfer spending is the media. 

Very few outlets look at the profits made from Crouch, Bellamy, etc and see the benefits, instead using them as a shovel to beat Rafa with when Liverpool don't score.  Some players are massively over-hyped before they have even arrived and then ridiculed when they don't meet the hyperbole of the same journalists or the wishes of the player are not considered. 

Similarly, "absence makes the heart grow fonder" is a regular sentiment of the papers.  Its funny how the two-man team of Liverpool from last season are missing Xabi (a third man?) this season isn't it?  And the talk of Man U being a Darren Fletcher away from winning the Champion's League last season was fantastical. 

Watching Sky Sports news' round up of the transfer window brought it home to me the stupidity of journalists and most media outlets.  Chelsea (it seems) now do not officially reveal how much they spend on players, simply leaving them as "Undisclosed" amounts for players such as Zhirkov.  The fee of Daniel Sturridge was to be decided by a tribunal.  So how much did Sky Sports say Chelsea had spent on these two? Nothing.  Didn't even bother to guess, just said they had spent nothing.  This obviously completely throws out every single transfer spending table that sky shows and these tables can be used by cynical journalists to prove that Chelsea have spent less in the last 5 years than Liverpool.

My point is that journalists smell blood and attack.  they don't care that it is clear that Liverpool have consistently spent less than other teams and refused to sanction as high transfer fees as other teams.  Journalists love the drama and using clever words like 'turmoil' and 'beleaguered'.     

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: November 2, 2009, 04:52:46 pm »

When did that happen Barney?
When did they suddenly have 'the bones' of a Champions League winning squad?

This squad?

Jerzy Dudek     
Paul Harrison    
Paul Jones    
Chris Kirkland    
Patrice Luzi    
Markus Babbel    
Igor Biscan    
Jamie Carragher    
Steve Finnan    
Stephane Henchoz    
Sami Hyypia    
Jon Otsemobor    
John Arne Riise    
Djimi Traore    
Gregory Vignal    
Bruno Cheyrou    
Salif Diao    
Steven Gerrard    
Dietmar Hamann    
Harry Kewell    
Anthony Le Tallec    
Danny Murphy    
Richie Partridge    
Darren Potter    
Vladimir Smicer    
John Welsh    
Milan Baros    
El Hadji Diouf    
Emile Heskey    
Neil Mellor    
Michael Owen    
Florent S.-Pongolle

Benitez inherited that minus Michael Owen.

The few additions he made and his tactical brilliance made that squad capable of even challenging in Europe.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 2, 2009, 04:53:31 pm »

I thought we won it in 2005 ?

Offline Tomo-the-red

• Main Stander
« Reply #184 on: November 2, 2009, 04:58:32 pm »
I don't understand how the press manage to get our net spend so wrong, unless they include signing on fees? If the media was to look at these figures it would be impossible for them to ridicule rafa's transfer activity.
Bill Shankly about the This-is-Anfield plaque:
'This is to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against.'

Offline kirkyg

• Kopite
  • Why did Igor always look confused?
« Reply #185 on: November 2, 2009, 05:07:55 pm »
Firstly great post really enjoyed,

Rafa's signings haven't all been great but he seeems to improve each department every season, there are always going to be signings that don't work out, look at the red faced dick fergie he's a made a fair few dodgy signings.
Our next few big signings are going to be really important because if they flop i think that might be the nail in the coffin for rafa.

Lets just hope silva and villa do well when we sign them in january.

I WISH!
He's big he's red he'll wack you in the head.....

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #186 on: November 2, 2009, 05:11:02 pm »
I don't understand how the press manage to get our net spend so wrong, unless they include signing on fees? If the media was to look at these figures it would be impossible for them to ridicule rafa's transfer activity.

They almost never report net spend and they almost never contextualise Rafa's spending in terms of either the squad he inherited, the value he adds to players or the revenue he's brought into the club with CL qulifiacation

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #187 on: November 2, 2009, 05:14:03 pm »

So they say...
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: November 2, 2009, 05:15:00 pm »

More press lies...

Offline Bouncer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "It's not my ego, it's my responsibility" Benitez
« Reply #189 on: November 2, 2009, 05:16:58 pm »
Mate, the press LOVE to have a target and being based in London (mostly) they know that there won't be much retaliation/media war coming from Liverpool.  Everyone's scared of Mr. Ferguson so they won't even touch things like what a flop £30m Berbatov is.  They're a business and all the doom and gloom sells.  So what if most of it's based on spurious, yellow journalism.  Boils my blood  :no

Will get even worse with the Beeb being increasingly based in Salford ... its already started - note that prick Pougatch on R5 ...

Great article ... Whoppers your educations starts here ...
Gatusso says that Liverpool play too many long balls?

I don’t think he watches many Liverpool games, the same way I don’t watch many Milan games. (Rafa)

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: November 2, 2009, 05:17:05 pm »

Is that a reply to me?

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline mrbutch

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • Gary ! f*** off, come back , Now f*** off again
« Reply #191 on: November 2, 2009, 05:19:12 pm »
Unrealistic media criticism is one thing, unrealistic criticism from so called fans is another.

Rafa is a world class manager.

Real Madrid, the biggest, I repeat the biggest club in the world continually court his services.

With a budget to match his skill he would dominate many competitions in Europe. This can not be said of many managers.

We have one of the best, and if he is sacked, he will reapper one day at a club with a bigger budget and he will win trophies - FACT

I repeat we must be patient, he is building for the future, our day will come with him in charge.

red under the bed

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 2, 2009, 05:20:37 pm »

Is that a reply to me?

Yes. And you missed out Cisse.

Offline The Nihilists

• Bovvered
  • Legacy Fan
  • I will cut off your Johnson
« Reply #193 on: November 2, 2009, 05:22:59 pm »
To me, Liverpool is more of a mom-and-pop store trying to compete with the super stores that have opened up around it. We were doing great when we competed with other mom-n-pop stores but this financial difference is breaking our back. ManCity is banging on the door now, it took them one year to stitch together an all star team and everyone knows that they will be more then happy to spend another 100 or so million over the next two transfer windows. They've got Adebayor, Tevez, Robinho, Santa Cruz and Bellamy (all mercenary twats in my opinion but talented twats nonetheless), and we got just one Torres. We cannot have the luxury of 30million players on the bench.

People think I've got my head in the sand when I say that we can't compete with the scum over the long run. Look at last year they say, we almost caught them. I know for sure that if we were ahead come this January, they would've opened their wallets and throw some cash around to stack up the odds against us. I was cartwheeling when Chelsea got the transfer ban, I thought with them out of the money spender list and an ageing team, we wouldn't suffer too much, but they've got the ban suspended since.

The best we can do is to stay in top four in my honest and frank opinion. In my opinion, it is better then having a sugardaddy owner that spends millions on mercenaries, at least this way, we keep our souls.

Excellent post.

Though the Yanks have our souls.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #194 on: November 2, 2009, 05:25:52 pm »
When did that happen Barney?
When did they suddenly have 'the bones' of a Champions League winning squad?

This squad?

Jerzy Dudek     
Paul Harrison    
Paul Jones    
Chris Kirkland    
Patrice Luzi    
Markus Babbel    
Igor Biscan    
Jamie Carragher    
Steve Finnan    
Stephane Henchoz    
Sami Hyypia    
Jon Otsemobor    
John Arne Riise    
Djimi Traore    
Gregory Vignal    
Bruno Cheyrou    
Salif Diao    
Steven Gerrard    
Dietmar Hamann    
Harry Kewell    
Anthony Le Tallec    
Danny Murphy    
Richie Partridge    
Darren Potter    
Vladimir Smicer    
John Welsh    
Milan Baros    
El Hadji Diouf    
Emile Heskey    
Neil Mellor    
Michael Owen    
Florent S.-Pongolle

Benitez inherited that minus Michael Owen.

The few additions he made and his tactical brilliance made that squad capable of even challenging in Europe.

you missed cisse and steve warnock. Rafa couldn't convice owen to stay, he got nunez part ex, bought garcia and alonso.

At the end of his first season that squad won the champions league, finished fifth in the league. That squad was lacking real quality upfront (owen gone - cisse injured) and a reliable source of creativity down either or the wings (particularly the left wing - kewell shit, vlad going, garcia unreliable on either wing)  5 years on we still lack creativity down the wings and now the squad is paper thin. 

torres apart i dont really see a tremendous amount of improvement in the squad or the way we play.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: November 2, 2009, 05:26:14 pm »
Firstly great post really enjoyed,

Rafa's signings haven't all been great but he seeems to improve each department every season, there are always going to be signings that don't work out, look at the red faced dick Mr Alex Ferguson he's a made a fair few dodgy signings.
Our next few big signings are going to be really important because if they flop i think that might be the nail in the coffin for rafa.

Lets just hope silva and villa do well when we sign them in january.

I WISH!
well if villa joins us i will eat my hat as no way will he play torres off another striker 100% it does not work for club or country.

also why buy silva when there will be cheaper but just as good options from la liga??????????
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline The Nihilists

• Bovvered
  • Legacy Fan
  • I will cut off your Johnson
« Reply #196 on: November 2, 2009, 05:26:38 pm »
In 2006 we were one point behind the mancs, we've outspent them since and are still behind them.  Another "why?" is valid.

They had a bad season, we had a season about as good as can be expected.

Ronaldo only clicked into life the next season.

Whoever has spent more since then, they have constantly had a more expensive side.

They also pay much more on wages, and that means they win things - do the research. Rafa has lost members of that squad because he couldn't afford to keep them happy. United have no such problems, with a far, far higher wage bill.

Offline reldinho

• Main Stander
« Reply #197 on: November 2, 2009, 05:29:29 pm »
Regardless of what he has spent his distribution of the the money throughout the squad has been poor, to let Bellamy and Crouch (picking those as the 2 best & most established strikers we've had through the doors recently) go based on the formation you play is a poor decision. Torres is our only recognised striker now and its a long way until next summer (Liverpool dont get money in January)

Im a Rafa fan bottom line and fair enough he's had to deal with a lot of ownership issues, but his mistakes are what we're paying for now. As good a player as our new no.2 is, did we really need a £17m right back? why didn't that money go on trying to get David Villa or Juan Mata? that's my issue at the minute.

Goodness me.  What part of "Crouch wanted to leave for 1st team football" are you missing?  We don't sell Bellamy we don't buy Torres or whoever else we bought that summer. It really isn't rocket science ffs.

How do you know we didnt try and get David Villa or Juan Mata (assuming we were even interested in either player)? and even if we bought either of those players, who would've played right back this season? Degen? the untried Kelly? because Arbeloa now plays for Madrid in case you have forgotten.

What is that old phrase about not being able reason with stupidity?

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: November 2, 2009, 05:34:10 pm »
Someone should email this to that stupid c*nt collymore. 

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #199 on: November 2, 2009, 05:43:34 pm »
First of all wonderful opening post, brilliant effort and insight.

Its only in the past few seasons that he's had the funds for some "big money" signings (though this is all relative, we still can't pay £31m for a misfiring sulky striker (Berb), or indeed £30m for a striker who sits on the bench like Shev). When he has spent larger sums, he's been very shrewd. The media questioned Torres signing (too soft, inconsistent etc) but he's been briliant. Masch was rotting away at West Ham, nobody else saw his potential, he's now so good he's the captain of Argentina. Too early to judge on Aquilani and Johnson, but the signs are good. The only blemish here is Keane, who he didn't want anyway (apparently).

People who question signings like Voronin, Kyrgiakos, Degen and the like should ask themselves who would they have got better with that available money? Should we really be surprised they are nothing more than average?