Author Topic: Álvaro Arbeloa Interview  (Read 9968 times)

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
Álvaro Arbeloa Interview
« on: October 20, 2014, 05:43:43 pm »
I feel this needs it's own thread, sorry if there already is one, couldn't see it if there is.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/20/alvaro-arbeloa-liverpool-real-madrid-champions-league

Álvaro Arbeloa knew. “When they opened up that little ball and the piece of paper inside said “Liverpool”, I said: ‘Group B’. I knew we’d be drawn against them.” The Real Madrid defender smiles. “Well, I don’t know if I knew it or if I just really wanted it.” Either way, there it was: Real Madrid v Liverpool. The last time the two teams met was in March 2009 and Arbeloa was on the other side. Liverpool won 4-0. Now he is going back to Anfield, this time dressed in white.

He got lucky; Xabi Alonso did not. Moments after the draw, the phone rang. “It was Xabi and he was fuming. “Bloody hell, typical. How unlucky am I?’” The only consolation Arbeloa could offer was to tell Alonso he might get there with Bayern Munich. Alonso knows what he’s missing; others don’t yet. So Arbeloa has told them.

“I’ve told everyone this is an opportunity they shouldn’t miss,” he says. “They’re used to a stadium that holds 80,000, sure, but Anfield is la bomba, unique. It’s only 45,000 and they say: ‘Well … ’ and I say: ‘Well?’ Those 45,000 make the atmosphere very, very special. I’ve told them to enjoy it. I can imagine what Anfield will be like, how they’ll sing You’ll Never Walk Alone and cheer every corner or throw-in close to our area as if it’ll end in a goal – and I know it’ll feel like that to us.”

Arbeloa has not been back since he left in the summer of 2009, four months after that 4-0, and since then he has become a world and European champion with Spain, and won the Champions League with Madrid, helping them end a 12-year wait. He and they arrive as defending champions, the wait worth it. “I read an interview with Magic Johnson saying he and LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and Michael Jordan had to go through shitty times before becoming champions; they had missed opportunities, too,” Arbeloa says. “I could relate to that.”

It is a Thursday afternoon at Madrid’s Valdebebas training base and the Spaniard is looking over his career, exactly 10 years since he made his debut for the club, a youth-teamer alongside the galácticos. “My first touch was a backheel flick to Zidane, right in front of the dugout. Straight away it was: ‘play it simple! Simple!’.” If that makes him laugh, so does his first Liverpool start after his move to England from Spain: a Champions League debut at the Camp Nou marking the man who, along with Arbeloa, made his competitive debut on 16 October 2004: Lionel Messi.

“I remember it like it was yesterday,” he says. “I was training at Melwood and Rafa [Benítez] came over. ‘Left back’. Left? Marking Messi. I stood looking at him, waiting for him to start laughing. This has to be a joke but I saw he was deadly serious. I thought: ‘madre mía.’ The idea was that I’d be strong on my right when Messi came inside, so we went to Portugal [for a training camp] and I was left-back every day, preparing.

Arbeloa grins. “That was the famous golfing week … Rafa had given us a curfew: 1am or 2am. There was a lively dinner then me and [Javier] Mascherano sang some Spanish song on the karaoke. I can’t remember what, something so bad I wiped it from my memory. Anyway, the time came and us new players left. The others stayed and the golf club thing happened. I escaped. I heard about it the next day and couldn’t believe it but of course [Craig] Bellamy played well, scored, and celebrated with the golf stroke. [John Arne] Riise played well, too.”

As for Arbeloa, he stopped Messi. It was some start, particularly for a player who had never expected to join Liverpool at all. “One day my agent called me. ‘We’re going to Liverpool’,” he recalls. “I pretty much had to sit down. ‘What?’”

“I had a five year contract at Deportivo. For the first three years Madrid got half of any transfer fee and I thought: ‘There isn’t a hope in hell of me leaving here in the first three years.’ But they had financial problems and [selling me] meant paying others. It happened so quickly that I was in shock – there was no time to prepare and I was lost.”

“I remember in my first few days looking out of the window, the snow was coming down and I thought: ‘What have I got myself into?’,” Arbeloa says, signalling halfway up his shins. “It was up to here. Madre mía. I was only 23 and I’d never been away from home. Now I had a new country, a new language, a new league, a new team.”

A new manager too. “I’d mostly played at centre-back but Rafa saw me as a full-back and training was different. Rafa corrects you the whole time – and I mean the whole time. Even if it’s just a kickabout he’ll stop the game to correct you. He never stops correcting you, ever. It was a constant stream of instructions and I didn’t have time to think. One-on-one he would explain in Spanish but he always spoke to us in English in the group. If he heard us speaking in Spanish he’d give us a bollocking you wouldn’t believe. ‘English!’.”

“I was lucky, Mascherano came at the same time. They set us up with homes in Park Avenue and we were neighbours, together every day,” Arbeloa says. “But we were welcomed so well: better than it might be the other way round. If you brought an English manager to Spain and he brought in five English players, I’m not sure it would be the same. The pressure that surrounds clubs here is different.

“At Liverpool it helped that they already loved Rafa so much and Luis García, Pepe [Reina] and Xabi, who was practically an honorary Englishman. And Fernando [Torres] later came, too. It’s not like he was signing nobodies. Rafa opened the door; the fact he was doing well made Spaniards open our eyes to England.”

Arbeloa rates Benítez as one of the best coaches he has had, unique when it comes to analysis: more meticulous, more studious, than others. Arbeloa listened and followed, he did what he was asked not what he wanted, which is one of the reasons Benítez valued him and one of the reasons other coaches have. Yet there is a contradiction that Arbeloa wrestles with. He admits he is not yet sure what the answer is.

“A coach says something and you might think ‘that’s not the way I’d do it’ but you need to do it. You can’t just do what you want … well, unless you’re as good as Cristiano Ronaldo,” he laughs. “I’ve had very different coaches asking very different things and it is hard to say what the key is because they’ve all been successful. I don’t know what to think. I think the conclusion is that football’s about the players. Of course [José] Mourinho is fantastic, [Pep] Guardiola is fantastic but what would happen in a team that wasn’t as outstanding as the ones they had?”

“I suppose the key is for everyone to believe in what they’re doing and what the manager’s doing: that they’re united, professional, intense,” he continues, thumping his fist into his palm. “One player lets you down, fine, but two or three do and it comes crashing down, a house of cards. Football’s simple … but not that simple.”

Rafa’s way worked. Liverpool reached a second Champions League final in three years, losing 2-1 to Milan. Arbeloa played for two minutes: he came on in the 88th minute and Dirk Kuyt scored in the 89th but the hope was fleeting. “There were 10 minutes left when Rafa called me but the ball wouldn’t go out and when it finally did the fourth official had disappeared to look at I don’t know what. I had to wait another two. I was going to play 10 minutes but played two. Kuyt scored. ‘Come on!’. But there was no time. We didn’t win, even though we had a much better team than in Istanbul.”

That was not their only near miss. “People forget that we almost won the league [in 2008-09]. We didn’t win it because of sodding [Federico] Macheda. There were weeks where we kicked off before United and we’d board our flight home with them losing, only to get off the plane and find they’d come back. Again. At times we could touch the trophy but they always came back.”

That was the end. That summer, Benítez signed Glen Johnson. “You think: ‘We’ve nearly won the league and the first thing you do is buy a £20m right-back?’,” Arbeloa recalls. “I said: ‘Listen, thanks for everything.’ He couldn’t say I had to stay. He had a right-back and I had a call from Madrid. It was an incredible opportunity: Cristiano Ronaldo was going there, [Karim] Benzema, Kaká.”

Arbeloa departed having lost a European Cup final; in his first season at Madrid they were eliminated by Lyon and then lost three successive semi-finals. In May, at last, the décima arrived, their 10th European Cup – better even than the World Cup, Arbeloa says. In the meantime, Liverpool missed out on an opportunity of their own: in two decades, the league had never been closer, not even in 2009 when Macheda got in the way. Reward came with a return to the Champions League.

“I don’t think anyone expected it,” Arbeloa admits. “Liverpool played with a very attacking style and surprised us all. Luis Suárez had an incredible season scoring 31 goals and how many assists? They still have [Daniel] Sturridge and [Raheem] Sterling but Luis Suárez is Luis Suárez and you can still see the gap. [Brendan] Rodgers will have to find a way. I think he will.”

Arbeloa has watched them on TV; on Wednesday he will see Liverpool in the flesh. There are few of his team-mates left – “only Lucas, who I have the most contact with, Steven [Gerrard] and Martin Skrtel” – but when he walks in the surroundings will be familiar. Very different to the Bernabéu with its NBA-style lockers, giant player portraits and huge, state-of-the-art facilities. “You get changed at Anfield and you have one little hook for your shirt, your trousers, your jacket, everything” Arbeloa says, laughing. “There’s no space, especially in winter when you’re wearing a big coat. It’s very, very small. You’re squashed in but that’s the tradition and the values the club transmits. There’s no luxury and maybe that helps maintain the connection between players and supporters. It has its charm.

“Then you leave the dressing room and see ‘This is Anfield’. That sign’s the incarnation of a spirit, a way of preparing yourself as you head on to the pitch. I would reach up and touch it before every game – and I’ll do the same on Wednesday night.”

Very nostalgic reading, and really fascinating stuff.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
Re: Álvaro Arbeloa Interview
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:46:37 pm »
Yeah it's a great read from a very underrated player. Will be good to see him back at Anfield, hopefully he can help us out with a couple of OGs  ;D
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 06:21:08 pm »
Good read that, our old Spanish contingent always speak highly of the club.

Top lad.............. hopefully gets torn a new one by Raheem on Wednesday though.
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 06:33:50 pm »
Always liked Arbeloa. It'll be good to see him back on Wednesday.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 06:36:33 pm »
fantastic reading... i rated him when he was our player
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 06:39:55 pm »
Love that
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 06:57:10 pm »
Brilliant read. Very good player for us, what a bargain purchase by Rafa.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 07:09:40 pm »
Love this line:

He got lucky; Xabi Alonso did not. Moments after the draw, the phone rang. “It was Xabi and he was fuming. “Bloody hell, typical. How unlucky am I?’”

;D

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 07:10:19 pm »
“Then you leave the dressing room and see ‘This is Anfield’. That sign’s the incarnation of a spirit, a way of preparing yourself as you head on to the pitch. I would reach up and touch it before every game – and I’ll do the same on Wednesday night.”

Top lad Arby
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 07:12:23 pm »
 Beautiful stuff.... That stuff about Xabi is just heart warming

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 07:17:03 pm »
Absolutely love Arbeloa. For me he was our best full back for 15 years. Was gutted when he left and hoping he gets a really good reception on Wednesday night if he plays.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 07:23:43 pm »
Great that, thanks.

Argh, is it only Monday? :)

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 07:43:20 pm »
Criminally underrated player is Alvaro. Love him.
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »
...hopefully gets torn a new one by Raheem on Wednesday though.

...then gets applauded off at the end.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 08:01:16 pm »
That's a great read, it's really nice to know players leave with such positive feelings for the club.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 08:03:28 pm »
Always liked Arbeloa a very under rated player who just does the basics extremely well.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 08:03:33 pm »
Good player. Always the model pro for us. Had Messi in his pocket that night. Warmed my heart reading that.

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 08:17:21 pm »
very under rated player who just does the basics extremely well.
What more can one ask for  ;D
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 08:17:30 pm »
Good player. Always the model pro for us. Had Messi in his pocket that night. Warmed my heart reading that.

I remember that night so clearly, sat in the pub being told by a bluenose we had no chance! Another of them types of nights would be alright on Wednesday. Great interview that, brought back some really good memories.

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 10:27:25 pm »
I honestly couldn't remember why he left the club and when it actually happened.  I really liked him as a player but he just suddenly disappeared.  I think I was probably on vacation at the time.  I remembering the season starting and him being gone and trying to recall when it actually happened.  I still can't.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 10:40:35 pm »
I honestly couldn't remember why he left the club and when it actually happened.  I really liked him as a player but he just suddenly disappeared.  I think I was probably on vacation at the time.  I remembering the season starting and him being gone and trying to recall when it actually happened.  I still can't.

It was very sudden and without any real news. I think it's just because we bought Glen and his place kind of disappeared (or we knew we were going to)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 10:58:40 pm »
Came here to post it. Was a good one.

"...and Xabi, who was practically an honorary Englishman"  :)

" “People forget that we almost won the league [in 2008-09]. We didn’t win it because of sodding [Federico] Macheda. There were weeks where we kicked off before United and we’d board our flight home with them losing, only to get off the plane and find they’d come back. Again. At times we could touch the trophy but they always came back.”  :(

Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 11:01:30 pm »
I think it's just because we bought Glen

He pretty much said it, didn't he? But even if we hadn't signed Johnson, he would have gone to Real no matter what imo. His boyhood club I guess and they got him for a very little amount of money because his contract was up the next summer IIRC.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 11:38:12 pm »
Top lad. I miss his celebrations. Will be great to see him back on Wednesday.
Justice For The 96

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 11:44:38 pm »
He pretty much said it, didn't he? But even if we hadn't signed Johnson, he would have gone to Real no matter what imo. His boyhood club I guess and they got him for a very little amount of money because his contract was up the next summer IIRC.

oops haha I missed that paragraph :)

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 12:30:47 am »
Top top man. Very underrated player, too. Was so elusive and very seldom got skinned by his opponent.

Offline eurolines

• Main Stander
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 01:16:57 am »
sodding Macheda haha. Assume this is a translation from Sid? Wonder what 'sodding' is in Spanish?

Offline quinny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 02:27:35 am »
Nice interview. He was a good player.

Offline Tommy Torres

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 09:10:16 pm »
Good interview. Good player too.
There's only one Sergio Torres

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 09:31:09 pm »
Never understood why he left, guess this sheds a little light on it. He was in the mold of Steve Finnan (another of my favorites) rarely took the spotlight, but almost never put a foot wrong.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 09:52:31 pm »
Loved Arby, especially his goal celebrations. Thanks for posting. :)
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 10:16:19 pm »
nice reading that, apart from the macheda bit. Loved Arby when he was here, top bloke
YNWA

Offline banksybanks

• Legacy Fan
  • Oranges and cigarettes
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 11:21:17 pm »
Great read, and an even better beard

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 01:59:26 pm »
Reading his comments, and in the context of them from someone who had probably never even been to Liverpool before signing for us, is just evidence to me how Liverpool FC is more than a football club.

Great article. He's achieved a hell of a lot since leaving us (and I'm not saying we were holding him back before the RAWK pedant dickheads jump on that).
JFT97

Offline ricen

• peas
  • Kopite
  • "That's how you get ants."
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 02:28:06 pm »
YNWA Arbeloa...

Thank you
"Not all who wander are lost, not all that glitters is gold."

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 03:05:11 pm »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 03:46:14 pm »
was an underrated player that left long before he should have
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 04:14:54 pm »
Likeable guy.

Hope he has a stinker tonight :D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 04:25:08 pm »
Top lad. I miss his celebrations. Will be great to see him back on Wednesday.

always cringed with his celebrations.  He'd just jump onto someone's back.  I was always waiting for him to injure one of our own. 

very good player though.   I'm sure he'll get a nice reception tonight.

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 04:43:43 pm »
Let's hope he has a fuckin mare tonight!