Author Topic: Mighty Red (the LFC Mascot)  (Read 81954 times)

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
Re: Mighty Red (the LFC Mascot)
« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2014, 08:40:38 pm »
Go to many matches? What's your view on the atmosphere at Anfield and do you think Mighty Red is going to improve it? How does it compare to the Emirates with their chidlrens section full of foam fingers and Gunnersaurus?

I'm sorry if my giving a flying fuck about the club I love upsets you. I suppose you either 'get it' or you don't.

Ironic isn't it Alan? The ones defending having a 'friendly, family club mascot' are the ones being the most objectionable and rude.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2014, 08:49:46 pm »
Fucking hell you lot have issues. I hope mighty red brings youse fuck all for Xmas.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline Defendant

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2014, 09:20:04 pm »
Go to many matches? What's your view on the atmosphere at Anfield and do you think Mighty Red is going to improve it? How does it compare to the Emirates with their chidlrens section full of foam fingers and Gunnersaurus?

I'm sorry if my giving a flying fuck about the club I love upsets you. I suppose you either 'get it' or you don't.

I'm not upset. This is an internet discussion about a mascot.

There's a lot I don't want to see introduced to matches, especially from American sport. But discouraging kids from attending is a bit rough (and unrealistic in this day and age). With that in mind I'm not too concerned that the kids that turn up see a mascot before the game.

It's a mascot, not some kind of stealth foam finger introduction program.

And this is light years away from being something for anyone to get worked up about.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:23:41 pm by Defendant »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2014, 09:24:16 pm »

There's a lot I don't want to see introduced to matches, especially from American sport. But discouraging kids from attending is a bit rough (and unrealistic in this day and age). With that in mind I'm not too concerned that the kids that turn up see a mascot before the game.

If your kid can't appreciate a football match without seeing some twat dressed in a red costume dancing around the pitch before kick off then you shouldn't take him/her.

Keep it in the kid's fanzone and away from the pitch.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2014, 09:27:04 pm »

And this is light years away from being something for anyone to get worked up about.

I'm not discouraging kids from going to the game - I just think they should go when they are ready.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2014, 09:35:57 pm »
Your profile say's your from the US, have you lived there all your life? Have you at any point lived in Liverpool?

No I have not lived there the whole time, some 18 years, just under half my life.
Does it matter though? Are you from Liverpool does not win an argument. Most good leagues are global now, and my money is as good as yours.
If the mascot adds to the brand, thus a net positive, then its good.
If not, it gets the boot. I bet it stays.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2014, 09:40:01 pm »
If the mascot adds to the brand, thus a net positive, then its good.

I think I'll leave it right there... We are talking different different languages.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Defendant

• Main Stander
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2014, 09:47:40 pm »
I'm not discouraging kids from going to the game - I just think they should go when they are ready.

Problem is you'll never be able to make that decision for anyone other than your own kids. And 'ready' is going to vary an awful lot depending on the parent.

It's a recipe for eternal frustration.

One of the reasons I don't mind a limited amount of naff kid's stuff is the fact that increased matchgoing costs in the Sky era have meant fewer and fewer kids coming to the games. And while it's great to support a team that is has massive global support, you have to encourage local youngsters see their team. The late teen/early 20s supporter the ground needs more of comes from somewhere, and unless my concept of time is warped it isn't late middle-age.

I'll happily knock back music after goals, cheerleaders and the like. But I don't mind something for the kids.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:54:29 pm by Defendant »

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2014, 09:50:19 pm »
I think of the Liverbird as something mythical. Something mysterious. When I visit Liverpool and look at the Liverbuilding there`s a majestic feel to the Liverbird. History, pride. Seriousness. I`ve sat by the Liverbuilding and have felt the power of the Liverbird watching over the city.

Mighty Red, no offense, seems to mock that whole idea. And as someone else said, it doesn`t even look like a Liverbird at all. It looks like a fish head on a person in a cheap, homemade outfit. Anfield is not the place for such foolishness. As Rob Gutmann so brilliantly said, we`re trying to create a tribal, going into battle feel. We want to scare the away team shitless. Mighty Red does not fit into that.

And I really don`t think kids find the mascot that important either.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:52:34 pm by Raaphael »

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2014, 10:20:58 pm »

I'll happily knock back music after goals, cheerleaders and the like. But I don't mind something for the kids.

The mascot isn't 'something for the kiddies'. If the club gave a shite about the kiddies, they wouldn't be charging their parents an arm and a leg to get those same kiddies into the ground to watch the match in the first place.

It's about corporate branding. I don't know how many people on here needed a mascot in order to get interested in football or Liverpool FC, but I know I didn't. The football was more than enough for me, and I only grew up watching it on the telly. It was the football that drew me in, the great players and managers and the colour and songs of the crowd.
All this mascot nonsense is about branding. It's easier for the clowns who come up with this kind of shite to use silly mascots and tacky slogans in order to promote the club, rather than use the club's traditional values and unique history, which in their minds, are less readily incorporated into a slick, corporate package.

God forbid we're going to have a generation of fans growing up now who decided to support Liverpool because we had a cooler mascot than Arsenals, or some such bollox. The sooner all this nonsense is nipped in the bud the better. It's absolutely cringeworthy and embarrassing, and it runs against everything Liverpool FC is about.

I don't buy this 'we have to move with the times' rubbish either. There was a time when Liverpool and its supporters led the way, rather than being required to be led and follow what everyone else was doing. Once you start doing that, you lose the unique identity that made the club famous and so special in the first place, and you become just another bland corporate sporting 'franchise'.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:23:53 pm by kennedy81 »

Offline Flyhalf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2014, 10:28:31 pm »

If your kid can't appreciate a football match without seeing some twat dressed in a red costume dancing around the pitch before kick off then you shouldn't take him/her.

Keep it in the kid's fanzone and away from the pitch.

Couldn't agree more. Started going to games when I was seven and managed just fine without a mascot. All those saying it isn't doing any harm need to wise up. Accept this then the next thing will be fucking cheerleaders or, god forbid, music blasting after we score. I can't get my head around why the football isn't enough for people. Jesus, it's bad enough listening to that idiot reading out the teams - that really winds me up

Offline AK47

• Needs to get a manly man's room. Grrrr.
  • Kopite
  • So it's on and on and on, it's Heaven and Hell
« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2014, 11:15:33 pm »
we do need to move with the times and have a mascot that reflects the club, so if we sign Mario Balotelli I suggest we get him to give it a make over, dress it in red camo gear, give it a bit of bling around it's neck, some cool shades,  some fireworks to set off and darts to throw at the opposition, yep that would work for me.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2014, 11:27:43 pm »
The mascot isn't 'something for the kiddies'. If the club gave a shite about the kiddies, they wouldn't be charging their parents an arm and a leg to get those same kiddies into the ground to watch the match in the first place.

It's about corporate branding. I don't know how many people on here needed a mascot in order to get interested in football or Liverpool FC, but I know I didn't. The football was more than enough for me, and I only grew up watching it on the telly. It was the football that drew me in, the great players and managers and the colour and songs of the crowd.
All this mascot nonsense is about branding. It's easier for the clowns who come up with this kind of shite to use silly mascots and tacky slogans in order to promote the club, rather than use the club's traditional values and unique history, which in their minds, are less readily incorporated into a slick, corporate package.

God forbid we're going to have a generation of fans growing up now who decided to support Liverpool because we had a cooler mascot than Arsenals, or some such bollox. The sooner all this nonsense is nipped in the bud the better. It's absolutely cringeworthy and embarrassing, and it runs against everything Liverpool FC is about.

I don't buy this 'we have to move with the times' rubbish either. There was a time when Liverpool and its supporters led the way, rather than being required to be led and follow what everyone else was doing. Once you start doing that, you lose the unique identity that made the club famous and so special in the first place, and you become just another bland corporate sporting 'franchise'.

Spot on.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2014, 11:49:31 pm »
We should set up a fight with that crappy Gunnersaurus Rex then Mighty Red will get the love he deserves.

Offline CharlieAdamsLeftFoot

• has gone to Stoke with his right foot.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What you achieve in life, echoes an eternity.
« Reply #174 on: August 24, 2014, 12:17:18 am »

Fucking 100% this!!!!!
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless,
who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,
and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say

'We're Liverpool'

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2014, 01:11:37 am »
For all the people getting a tad condescending toward those who have a problem with this... you are allowed to intensely dislike something that's utterly, utterly fucking shit, you know?

I can't stand the rictus-grinning Disneyfied prick. Even the cast of Sesame Street would ostracise the cunt, never mind lifelong Liverpool fans. In the bin, soon as possible.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline orn-free-tada

• ...free as a ird...
  • Main Stander
« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2014, 02:28:27 am »
I find this twitter statement amusing. Like Mighty Red has gone rogue and wont stop until he gets near the pitch. Bauer-style

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2014, 02:52:12 am »
Cynical corporate branding bullshit.  Thats all it is.

It started out being filmed away from the ground.
Then it creeps into being pictured inside Anfield, but not on a match day.
Then it's in the fan zone on match day.
Then it's on the pitch with the kids mascots before the game.

How long before it's coming out with ther team, and lining up, or dancing and running around the ground giving high fives to the kids down the touchline and other such cringeworthy bullshit.

If anyone thinks this is going away any time soon though, think again.

Anyone who's looked in the main stand development thread, above, will have noted that the plans released of the new main stand, will have noticed that it even has it's own changing room penciled in for future development.  :duh

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2014, 03:13:42 am »
the sly creeping influence of this little c*nt is the only bad thing that has happened to this club since Brendan arrived
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Jimmy_IMP

• Kemlynite
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2014, 04:23:29 am »
why is it that in general "moving with the times" is essentially "copy the yanks". What is wrong with English football sticking to its traditions and values? If an offside decision is wrong, so what. If a goal is given wrongly, so what. If a foul is given wrongly, so what. I'd much rather my countries sport sticks close to its roots rather than ruin itself by giving in. I love the controversy of a wrong decision, a poor "call" etc.... do we just forget who we are because america doesnt like the randomness of the game?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2014, 04:35:36 am »
why is it that in general "moving with the times" is essentially "copy the yanks". What is wrong with English football sticking to its traditions and values? If an offside decision is wrong, so what. If a goal is given wrongly, so what. If a foul is given wrongly, so what. I'd much rather my countries sport sticks close to its roots rather than ruin itself by giving in. I love the controversy of a wrong decision, a poor "call" etc.... do we just forget who we are because america doesnt like the randomness of the game?

I don't think mascots are in the game to appease Americans.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2014, 05:18:59 am »

If you still can't understand why so many are against a mascot at Anfield after reading this, there's no point in trying to explain it any further.

Excellent post mate.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2014, 07:46:01 am »
Mighty Red is out of control and needs to be stopped.

Even as a mascot I don`t get it. It walks around and smiles in a shit costume. It`s the George Clooney version of Batman when it should be the Christian Bale one.

When I was a kid, apart from football, if I was drawn into that "world" in any way, it wouldn`t be to a grinning clown.

It would be to something "dangerous", larger than life type of stuff. Something that I thought was cool. I must admit I was a huge Kiss fan as a 4-year old, but that was because I thought Gene Simmons was a demon, a superhero of some sort who drank blood and fire came out of his mouth. And I somehow get that kids can find things like WWE Wrestling fascinating when they are kids. The Undertaker etc.

But I would not like any of that at Anfield. It`s not Disneyland. Anfield is sacred ground. There are people`s ashes underneath the ground. It`s holy ground. And don`t reduce a mythical, mysterious creature like The Liverbird to a grinning, red fish driving around in his own car. It`s fucking disrespectful to the Liverbird.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:50:06 am by Raaphael »

Offline AK47

• Needs to get a manly man's room. Grrrr.
  • Kopite
  • So it's on and on and on, it's Heaven and Hell
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2014, 10:44:15 am »
The way the club are doing this seems very sly and underhand, they've deliberately targeted the very young impressionable kids, they will unfortunately grow up with this 'creature', will be indoctrinated to see it the as normal to have a prancing red f*** clown leading the team out on match days.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Offline El jefe

• Kopite
« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2014, 10:57:47 am »

10/10 fantastic.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2014, 11:01:48 am »
But apart from that, is it really needed? Does any analysis actually show that this is good for the club somehow? I just don`t see it. A kid wants to meet Raheem Sterling or Mario Balotelli, not a  big headed fish. Let the Liverbird be mythical. Let it be something that watches over the new part of Anfield when we build it, as a statue on top of the stadium or something. Let it be majestic. Something that is visible in the dark, like the Batman signal over Gotham. Kids wants something that they can dream about at night, something larger than life. Mighty Red certainly is not that. Liverpool as a club has a high standard when it comes to terrace culture etc.  The mascot world belongs to clubs in the lower divisions.  What`s next? A guy running around in a big headed Bill Shankly mask, doing summersaults and magic tricks?

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2014, 11:10:49 am »
Put him down.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2014, 12:05:35 pm »
But apart from that, is it really needed? Does any analysis actually show that this is good for the club somehow? I just don`t see it. A kid wants to meet Raheem Sterling or Mario Balotelli, not a  big headed fish. Let the Liverbird be mythical. Let it be something that watches over the new part of Anfield when we build it, as a statue on top of the stadium or something. Let it be majestic. Something that is visible in the dark, like the Batman signal over Gotham. Kids wants something that they can dream about at night, something larger than life. Mighty Red certainly is not that. Liverpool as a club has a high standard when it comes to terrace culture etc.  The mascot world belongs to clubs in the lower divisions.  What`s next? A guy running around in a big headed Bill Shankly mask, doing summersaults and magic tricks?
You may just have something there mate. A dirty big statue of the bird atop the roof. Perhaps with old big ears in one claw. Illuminated at night so that it can be seen from County Road.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2014, 12:36:05 pm »
Cringeworthy. We need to get rid of it as soon as possible. Unfortunately, it seems to being forced upon Anfield. Step by step. Regular match going folk can express their displeasure every time that abomination steps on the pitch but I doubt it will make much difference.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2014, 12:42:01 pm »
John Henry needs to hear this. He played in a rockn`roll band when he went to college. He seems to be a guy that would understand what is tasteful and not. He has a beautiful, intelligent woman in Linda Pizzuti. I`m sure he prefers Christopher Nolan to Joel Schumacher.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2014, 12:44:23 pm »
Poor Mighty Red.
The half time penalty turtle doesn't get any abuse

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2014, 12:48:25 pm »
John Henry needs to hear this. He played in a rockn`roll band when he went to college. He seems to be a guy that would understand what is tasteful and not. He has a beautiful, intelligent woman in Linda Pizzuti. I`m sure he prefers Christopher Nolan to Joel Schumacher.

Raaphael meet Wally the Green Monster >

:lmao

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2014, 12:54:41 pm »
Jesus. We`re doomed.

I do feel there`s potential to make Anfield an even more intimmidating stadium for the away teams, but it should be more like Colosseum than Disneyland. The more overwhelming, the better.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2014, 12:58:37 pm »
I can't stand the rictus-grinning Disneyfied prick. Even the cast of Sesame Street would ostracise the cunt, never mind lifelong Liverpool fans. In the bin, soon as possible.

;D

Kennedy81 - spot on, great post.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2014, 01:03:16 pm »

Let's replace every mention of Liverpool in your post with Boston Celtics.

The Boston Celtics are the most successful basketball club in the world. 17 NBA titles. Many of the greatest players in history have played for them. The most famous coach/executive in history led them, Red Auerbach. When "tradition" is mentioned in basketball, the Celtics are the team most associated with it. As important as Liverpool is in the football world, the Celtics are even bigger in the basketball world.

The Celtics were the only team in the NBA without cheerleaders. Red Auerbach was vehemently against them. Well, Red passed away several years ago and the cheerleaders were added. I remember dozens of articles, radio and TV commentary about how awful this was, basically the exact same argument you and others made about Mighty Red. Many fans like you were apoplectic about it -- it was the death of the Celtics tradition.

Has the addition of cheerleaders hurt the Celtics? No, not a bit. They won another title a few years ago, and while they are in a rebuilding mode right now, they are still considered one of the smartest, well-run organizations in the game. And guess who was the FIRST club to add cheerleaders decades ago? The 2nd most successful team, the famous Los Angeles Lakers, who have clearly not been hurt by it.

If you dislike the thought of a mascot, you are fully entitled to that opinion. But the argument that a mascot will ruin the football club is nonsense. Liverpool's support will live or die by the results on the pitch, not by the negligible antics of side entertainment.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2014, 01:06:46 pm »

The Boston Celtics are the most successful basketball club in the world. 17 NBA titles. Many of the greatest players in history have played for them. The most famous coach/executive in history led them, Red Auerbach. When "tradition" is mentioned in basketball, the Celtics are the team most associated with it. As important as Liverpool is in the football world, the Celtics are even bigger in the basketball world.

The Celtics were the only team in the NBA without cheerleaders. Red Auerbach was vehemently against them. Well, Red passed away several years ago and the cheerleaders were added. I remember dozens of articles, radio and TV commentary about how awful this was, basically the exact same argument you and others made about Mighty Red. Many fans like you were apoplectic about it -- it was the death of the Celtics tradition.

Has the addition of cheerleaders hurt the Celtics? No, not a bit. They won another title a few years ago, and while they are in a rebuilding mode right now, they are still considered one of the smartest, well-run organizations in the game. And guess who was the FIRST club to add cheerleaders decades ago? The 2nd most successful team, the famous Los Angeles Lakers, who have clearly not been hurt by it.

If you dislike the thought of a mascot, you are fully entitled to that opinion. But the argument that a mascot will ruin the football club is nonsense. Liverpool's support will live or die by the results on the pitch, not by the negligible antics of side entertainment.

You're attempting to compare the American basketball culture with English football culture, it just doesn't work.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2014, 01:08:44 pm »
You are American, aren`t you?

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2014, 01:18:08 pm »
You're attempting to compare the American basketball culture with English football culture, it just doesn't work.
Are there mascots already in English football? Yes. You've already got them there, it has nothing to do with England vs. US cultural differences.

I can assure you, people were as opposed to cheerleaders in Boston as you all are to this mascot in Liverpool. It was "the end of tradition", "not what this great club is about", "Auerbach is turning over in his grave", "we've become just another commercialized club", etc. Very same sentiments as you have here.

And nothing bad has come of it.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2014, 01:20:44 pm »
Liverpool is different. That`s the whole point. I don`t care if Arsenal or Man Utd have them. Liverpool is different. Anfield is famous for its Kop, for terrace culture, Adidas trainers, home made banners and so on. Being pioneers. There`s a history and a pride in all of that. If anything, we should enhance what Anfield is famous for. Not bringing ridiculous shit in. Have you ever heard about the famous Stretford End Atmosphere? Or the Stamford Bridge noise? A mascot like Mighty Red is related to the whole plastic flag/foam fingers thing in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 01:28:56 pm by Raaphael »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2014, 01:37:02 pm »

No, let's not. Basketball is not football. There is a huge amount of godawful shite that goes along with American sports that doesn't fit with an Association Football game. I couldn't give a flying fuck what they do in basketball. In fact I couldn't give a fuck what they do across Stanley Park.

You evidently don't get it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)