Author Topic: Reds In Reserve: Liverpool 1 - 1 Manchester City  (Read 4823 times)

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
Reds In Reserve: Liverpool 1 - 1 Manchester City
« on: November 2, 2005, 09:44:57 pm »
After a good Champions League victory over Anderlecht at Anfield it was back down to earth and a trip to the Racecourse to watch the reserves face one of their hardest challenges this season. As the 321 people who came to the game tonight entered the ground I read through City's line-up to see such first-team names as Weaver, Thatcher, Sun Jihai, Dunne, Sinclair, Bradley Wright-Phillips and of course, returning from injury God!

Despite facing a far more experienced City team Liverpool will have felt aggrieved to be leaving North Wales with anything less than the three points after this hard fought game. After struggling a little, especially in the final third during the first half of the game Liverpool went on to dominate the second half and will feel unlucky not to have made more of the chances they created. They may well also feel that the sending of of Sinama-Pongolle after what seemed like some innocuous verbals to linesman was somewhat unjust as well.

Liverpool started the game brightly enough and for the first five minutes of the match City barely had a touch. The first time City were in action, they played an intricate move down the right and fired in a good cross. Luckily for Liverpool Antwi read the danger and got to the ball first to head away for a corner. Liverpool failed to fully clear the corner though and after a messy scramble in the box Micah Richards managed to make good contact. Dudek was helpless to prevent City taking an early lead. 0-1.

Liverpool were unperturbed with Flo looking lively up front and with Antwi looking excellent again playing in his preferred position in the centre of the defence. Guthrie was looking rusty early on but he gradually came into the game and with half an hour having passed neither side had really created many clear chances.

On 33 minutes Hobbs, uncharacteristically for a player who has been immaculate this season, gave the ball away in the centre of the pitch. The industrious Hussein didn't need asking twice. He picked up the ball and jinked onto his right foot. He unleashed a powerful effort that Dudek could only parry. Fowler was rushing in but as the ball flew out he didn't react quickly enough and the ball ricocheted wide of Dudek's left upright.

With 39 minutes gone Hobbs nicked the ball from Sinclair in typical fashion, fed Potter who, after good work, slipped the ever ready Sinama through down the left hand channel. Flo was at least two yards onside but the linesmans' flag still went up and danger was averted for City.

With moments to go until half time Sun Jihai and Whitbread went in for a fifty-fifty no holds barred and almost popped the ball. I can't remember hearing such a noisy collision. It was fair from both players though and both jogged off unscathed. I thought that was action over for the first half but just as my thoughts drifted towards the pie stall, the Reds showed they were still eager for an equaliser. In injury time Flo burst forward and fed it into Calliste's path, he ran clear of the chasing Thatcher and Bermingham and just when you were sure he'd levelled the score he managed to put the ball wide.

Half time was enlightened by the announcement over the tannoy "Liverpool's next game here is on November 29th. For those of you that have mixed...(long pause) erm... (long pause) feelings (he stuttered) Wrexham will be playing...".

City took off Sinclair and Dunne at half time with the Reds keeping the same XI. Liverpool kicked-off and in a pre-planned move Flo shot from the centre circle trying to catch Weaver off-guard. I hoped this would a sign of attacking intent for the nest 45 minutes and it turned out to be exactly that. Before Liverpool were to draw level though they nearly went further behind. Hussein got in behind the defence which was slow to recover but the City player crossed weakly into Dudek's hands.

Guthrie was beginning to look himself again after his recent injury lay-off and was much more involved in this half. He had a shot on fifty minutes and as the ball ricocheted to Calliste he slipped Guthrie in down the inside right. Danny put in a teasing cross which Weaver could only just get his fingertips to and the ball fell to Sinama to volley home from an acute angle. 1-1.

Despite Liverpool now controlling possession the next clear chance fell to City. Again Hussein was to find space on the right and his excellent cross was about to be headed goalward by Fowler when Antwi just managed to get to it and clear the danger. Even some of the Scousers there sighed.

Calliste was having his best game for Liverpool and looked a different player to the one that showed up last week. Flo set him through one on one with a brilliant volleyed pass. Calliste still had it all to do coming in from the angle with defenders back tracking; he hit a hard low drive and only an excellent diving save from Weaver prevented a goal.

Hobbs left the field for Idrizaj who moved to the left wing allowing Potter to move inside. Potter really improved once he'd switched inside and Idrizaj looked much more natural not playing as an out and out striker and his first offering was to dribble past a couple of men. It came to nothing, but it's good to see the young Austrian having an impact.

On 62 minutes Calliste and Sinama linked up again. This time a one-two put Sinama through into a similar position in which Calliste had found himself five minutes earlier. This time Sinama beat the advancing Weaver, but his shot failed to curl enough to hit  the target.

A dominant Liverpool didn't have to wait long for another excellent chance. Once Calliste gets going he is extremely quick and another ball over the top saw him run free. He could have shot but chose to take another touch. The choice was the wrong one as it allowed a defender to get back and make a clearing challenge.

You had a feeling Liverpool might pay for missed chances and they nearly did. With less than ten minutes left City substitute Marc Laird had the goal at his mercy from three yards out. The corner that the referee gave as the ball sailed into the stands may have saved his blushes, but it was clearly the wrong decision.

As the game entered the final five minutes the excellent Sinama ran clear of the City defence. He entered the edge of the area and just as he went to shoot he was brought down. It was as blatant as penalties come, but it wasn't given. Sinama appealed to the referee then turned and had a few words with the linesman before running off. Before play restared the referee's attention was sought by the linesman. After a brief discussion the red card was brandished and Flo was told to go.

Paco Herrera looked furious as the game was restarted. I don't know what was said, but it seemed an injustice considering how bad the decision was not to give the penalty.

City tried to punish ten man Liverpool. They played with four up front for the closing stages and created a couple of chances - a long range effort from Bermingham that went just wide and a dangerous cross that nobody managed to get on the end of. The best late chance almost fell to that man again, Calliste. His pace was displayed more tonight than in any other game. He ran clear and only a desperate last minute tackle from Sun Jihai stopped him facing Weaver one on one from close range.

Man of the Match: I'm torn. I was going to give it to Flo, but as he got sent off I'm going to go with Antwi. He and O'Donnell (also the best performance I've seen from him this season) never really looked troubled by Fowler and Bradley Wright-Phillips.

Liverpool Team:
Jerzy Dudek
David Raven
Zak Whitbread (77, James Smith)
Godwin Antwi
Daniel O'Donnell
Jack Hobbs (63, Besian Idrizaj)
Danny Guthrie
Lee Peltier (77, David Mannix)
Ramon Calliste
Darren Potter
Florent Sinama-Pongolle

Unused Subs: Paul Willis, Miki Roque

© AdamS 2005
« Last Edit: November 3, 2005, 02:03:57 am by Rushian »
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
Re: Reds In Reserve Liverpool 1 - 1 Manchester City
« Reply #1 on: November 2, 2005, 09:52:18 pm »
Another good report AdamS.......keep up the good work.
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline Derzyjudek

• Airliner recliner decliner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 2, 2005, 09:56:52 pm »
any of the new young lads look close to graduating to the 1st team adam?
Quote from: grifter

I'd rather take a belt sander to me cock and crush me own bollocks with a nut cracker than go within 100yds of her stinky flabby twat.

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #3 on: November 2, 2005, 10:07:36 pm »
Yep, good report, good read.

I like that we seem to have enough players in the reserve squad this year to rest one or two each game. Idrizaj and Roque tonight for example.
@_michaelgill

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 2, 2005, 10:07:55 pm »
Nice one.  :wave :wave
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #5 on: November 2, 2005, 10:20:10 pm »
Nice read that.

Shame we didn't win.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6 on: November 2, 2005, 10:25:34 pm »
Good read again.  Always prefer here for the latest from the reserves over the official site.

Does Sinama red card mean he'll be suspended in the Premiership ???  Think I can remember that happening to David Thompson a few years ago
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 2, 2005, 10:29:43 pm »
Yeah he'll be suspended for 3 games like Diouf was 2 seasons ago when sent off for reserves.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #8 on: November 2, 2005, 10:34:24 pm »
I think suspensions may only apply for violent conduct, but I'm not sure.
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #9 on: November 2, 2005, 10:49:09 pm »
Cheers Adam, twill be online in a sec.

Offline SkyBlueRed

• Binley Boot Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sleeping giant awakens...
« Reply #10 on: November 2, 2005, 11:16:38 pm »
Thanks mate, these pieces really are great, its so hard to keep track of the younger players, especially those firmly out of the spot light... let me rephrase... it used to be so hard to keep track... fast becoming dependent on these write ups!
Im not arrogant, im just better than you.

Julian Dicks has been everywhere ... it's like West Ham have got eleven Dicks out there.
-- Anonymous (Metro city radio)

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: November 2, 2005, 11:27:29 pm »
Thank you. It's nice to hear that Calliste had a good game -- after reading about him here and on the LFC official page, I'd like to see him do well.  Nice to hear the FloPo also did well.  It's a shame about the red card -- perhaps LFC can appeal?  Does that happen for reserve matches?
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Offline cork scouser

• Legacy Fan
  • Rafa will lead us to no. 19
« Reply #12 on: November 2, 2005, 11:35:23 pm »
Good to see the young lads getting regular football at this level.
Like the old days when they were groomed for first team duty.
Cork : European Capital of Culture 2005
Liverpool : European Capital of Culture 2008

Merge Cork and Liverpool into the sporting city. No one would touch us.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #13 on: November 3, 2005, 12:01:41 am »
Sorry to bump but I think these kids are all winners

It’s by far the rowdiest fixture thus far as around 50 of the entrants to the ‘Loudest Child of the Year’ competition had clearly been rewarded with a trip to the game…and given seats just behind the press area!
:no :no :no

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #14 on: November 3, 2005, 12:10:05 am »
Sorry to bump but I think these kids are all winners
 :no :no :no

I want nothing distracting my reporters. If it happens again let me know and I'll have them all taken care of.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Reds In Reserve: Liverpool 1 - 1 Manchester City
« Reply #15 on: November 3, 2005, 04:21:37 am »
Great report!  Thanks  :wave

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 3, 2005, 09:02:30 am »
thanks for taking the time to do the report, much appreciated.  sounds like we did well against a strong opposition there. also good to see fsp passionate in reserve and in first team, not wise to get sent off but shows he was at least bothered.

reserves 6th with games in hand.  a good sign.  would like to see us back to winning this every year
« Last Edit: November 3, 2005, 09:42:28 am by ewokred »
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #17 on: November 3, 2005, 11:40:36 am »
Adam
based on the games you've seen so far, is there anyone who looks like the step up to first X1 would cause no problems ?
We still have a need for centre back cover and a supplier on the right, any nominations ? or are the kids still green ?
I thought Hobbs was bought as a centre back but the last few reports appear to have him in centre midfield where we already have an abundance of selections.
Is Caliste right footed ?
How tall is Antwi ?
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #18 on: November 3, 2005, 11:50:46 am »
Any confirmation that Sinama-Pongolle will be suspended for the first team?
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #19 on: November 3, 2005, 11:57:17 am »
Calliste is right footed and despite him having a good game last night I don't think he'll make it. I think he's been bought due to an absolute lack of centre forwards. Without Mellor fit we would have gone in to some game without a recognised forward over the age of 17 this season. If he played like he did last night and put the ball away then who knows. A lot of people who haven't seen him are more excited than those who have though.

Antwi is about six foot one and very strong. He has looked nothing short of useless when he has been played out of position, but has looked very solid when he's been played in the centre. He's kind of like Henchoz in the way he'll get to everything first, but as someone said last night "Football is not his strength!".

I think he has a bright future and he is apparently loving everything about Liverpool which boads well, but he is still 17 and way too young to be near the first team. 19 is young and I think he could be knocking on the door by then.

Hobbs has been playing in midfield. I read quotes from Paco saying that they want to develop his all round game and it is certainly improving. However he is apparently the fittest player in the club, so depending on how he progresses they may decide to keep him there.

Raven is probably the closest to a first team call up. I feel sorry for him that he has not had a run of games and is now back training with the reserves. He didn't stand out against Palace, but he had Potter playing poorly in front of him and Whitbread and Hyppia struggling to keep shape inn the centre to his left. If Josemi deserves a run of games then so does Ravo.

Guthrie is my pick so far this season. He didn't have his best game last night, but he seems such an intelligent footballer. He is always looking for space, always looking for the quick pass and is very two footed.

Of the others; Mannix seems to be gradually falling down the pecking order, Whitbread doesn't look like he has many chances left, whilst O'Donnell had his best game for a while last night. Peltier has been given a couple of games now but has so far failed to show a great deal in midfield.

I think we will see several faces in and out over the next twelve months and then we should start to see the products of the academy's dream team emerging! Fingers crossed!

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 3, 2005, 12:21:05 pm »
Raven is probably the closest to a first team call up. I feel sorry for him that he has not had a run of games and is now back training with the reserves.

Of the others; Mannix seems to be gradually falling down the pecking order

Adam, couple of questions...

1) back training with the reserves? my understanding was that everyone at Melwood trained together, first team or reserve team players, is that no longer the case?

2) why d'you think Manno's going backwards? injuries finished his chances of the first team and club ushering him towards the exit door?

ta

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #21 on: November 3, 2005, 01:17:05 pm »
Cheers Adam
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #22 on: November 3, 2005, 01:45:25 pm »
Adam, couple of questions...

1) back training with the reserves? my understanding was that everyone at Melwood trained together, first team or reserve team players, is that no longer the case?
I think they do certain things together and certain things apart. I'm not sure on the details, I was just told by someone who's knows about all that.

2) why d'you think Manno's going backwards? injuries finished his chances of the first team and club ushering him towards the exit door?
I just don't think he's showing quite enough. He's a bit hit and miss. Having said that Peltier didn't do as well as I think Manno would have last night. As the season progresses I think many of the lads who've been around a while will have to really turn in some good performances if they want to hang around any longer.

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill!!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: November 3, 2005, 03:31:13 pm »
Good report again, cheers

On sly sports news it says suspensions are only carried to the first team for violent conduct, so hopefully they cant say that for a bit of back chat.
Oh W**ky W**ky, W**ky W**ky W**ky W**ky Warrington.

Betfair referal code 6TXMVXF6J. £25 free

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 4, 2005, 12:49:17 am »
Adam,

Really appreciate your reports on these games.  Excellent.  Thanks!!!
Confucius say, "Man who walk through door sideways going to Bangkok"

Offline Simon-1973

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 4, 2005, 07:04:04 pm »
Good report thanks Adam  :thumbup
You'll Never Walk Alone