Author Topic: Match Preview: Southampton FC v Liverpool FC Capital One Cup. 2/12/2015 19:45 KO  (Read 45430 times)

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
Venue- St Mary's Stadium, Southampton. 32,505 Capacity
The COC is back! This time we face the saints in what should be an exciting quarter final game. We're three games away from a trip to Wembley and a chance to end our four year trophy drought.

Since our massive raid on their team since the summer of 2014, Ronald Koeman has really strengthened his squad and made them a model development club for, up coming players, and journeymen. Southampton achieved their highest ever top flight position since 1984-85 where they finished 7th and qualified for the Europa League, as well as beating top sides including Arsenal, and United, and putting 8 past Sunderland.

Their goal scoring is somewhat erratic. Southampton scored 58 premier league goals last year, and this year they are currently on 20, two more ahead of us. What is worrying is their ability to go on a goal scoring frenzy. In the past two seasons they have had three games where they have scored 6 or more goals. Graziano Pelle, Sadio Mane, and Shane Long have been their biggest threats.
Southampton currently have no players on suspension but are at risk of missing the presence of Jose Fonte who suffered a mild knee injury against City at the weekend. He came off at the 36th minute. Along with Fonte is the possibility of resting the out of form Victor Wanyama. Many feel that he is focusing on a potential move to Tottenham Hotspurs and has been heavily slated on Southampton's version of RAWK for his recent performances. It should be noted that Fonte and Wanyama are effectively the core of their defense.

Southampton are a very tidy and compact team. They like to press high, and are no dummies with the ball. It could be a different story from our encounter earlier in November where they looked content to set up shop. They can score and they can defend, they have flashy players, pace, and all around are a good team. Depending on how they feel about this competition, ill predict their starting 11.
Liverpool have recently resurged under Jurgen Klopp. The german gaffer has started to develop a winning habit to this squad which is vital. Currently 6 points off 1st, and alive in every competition "The Normal One" has a tough decision to make when choosing his squad. Most of the squad bar Clyne, and Moreno have been in and out of team selections for one reason or another, and this could be an area where Jurgen tries to improve with the Transfer Market. Nathaniel Clyne has played every minute of Liverpool's season thus far. Theres no signs of fatigue but certainly the manager would have taken note of this. An option off the bench could be Connor Randall who already featured in the 1-0 win against Bournemouth in the last stage of this cup. Randall had a good outing, making a lot of positive runs and getting some good crosses in. With the run of fixtures in december, and our current league position I could see a couple changes to the side.
Saints Premier League Results up to date
Saints League Cup Results
Liverpool v Southampton last 5
If you need a reason to want to take this competition serious here you go
One more for the nostalgia in all of us
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:28:06 am by diegoLFC7 »
Seen us win everything

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
Wow you really bashed this out quickly! Good read, thanks :)

Many probably want to see a few faces rested, but I want to see as strong a team as we can play. Southampton away is easily our hardest fixture prior to New Year, and a win would really set the tone for December and our little run of away games next week. It's also a golden opportunity to get a step closer to a trophy, but a tough game nonetheless.

Mignolet
Clyne  Skrtel  Lovren  Moreno
       Henderson  Lucas
  Milner  Lallana  Coutinho
            Sturridge

Bench: Bogdan, Toure, Randall, Can, Firmino, Ibe, Benteke

Rest: Allen, Teixeira, Origi, Brannagan, Sinclair
Injured: Enrique, Rossiter, Gomez, Sakho, Ings

Part of me feels like Allen and Teixeira deserve to play, but Ibe offers a more unique threat off the bench and is ideal for introducing to run at tired legs (especially if the game goes to extra time); Can feels like a better matchup for dealing with Wanyama and is a bigger DM Klopp can throw on as a sub as he likes to do. Perhaps Teixeira could take Lallana's place in the XI if Lallana isn't 100% recovered from Swansea though.

Fatigue-wise our players should be able to manage:

- Lucas got a rest vs Swansea.
- Coutinho got a rest vs Bordeaux and Swansea and is fit again.
- Henderson played 30 mins which suggests that he's close to being fully fit already. 60 mins should be doable.
- Sturridge played 20 mins and should be fit enough to play 60, but perhaps he'll only get 30 to ease into it. In which case we can play Benteke or Firmino up front instead.

As for our fullbacks, Moreno just had a two week break (his third such break this autumn), and Clyne only played a total of about 90 mins across two games for England during that time.

The next couple of weeks are busy, but Moreno and Clyne and some others should get some rest at Sion,  so really there's only one game in the two weeks between games on December 6th and December 20th which will require our best players, and that's plenty of time to rest up.

Wed 2 - Southampton (a)
Sun 6 - Newcastle (a)
Thu 10 - Sion (a)
Sun 13 - West Brom (h)
Sun 20 - Watford (a)
Sat 26 - Leicester (h)
Wed 30 - Sunderland (a)
Sat 2 - West Ham (a)

This is a great run of fixtures, so let's get off to the right start in Decemeber with a win!

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Southampton have been on a wierd run of form .Were unbeaten in the league till they lost to City on Sunday but struggled somewhat at home .Thumped by Everton 3-0 lost to Stoke last week as well .

So probably they will be very nervous and hopefully we hard at them early and capitalise on that .

Expect we will go back to our away formation with Firmino up front .Think Henderson and Coutinho will start but Sturridge will be eased in .

Big game for some of our ex saints players as well .Hopefully they can cope with it comfortably .

I cant see Klopp passing up a massive chance of winning silverware .Think we will go with a strong  line up imo

Mignolet

Clyne  Skrtel Lovren Moreno

Henderson   Lucas

Milner    Coutinho  Lallana

Firmino

P.S
Think both Clyne and Can are on four yellows now .So if they pick a booking will miss the Newcastle game on Sunday

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
Snip

P.S
Think both Clyne and Can are on four yellows now .So if they pick a booking will miss the Newcastle game on Sunday
Good point. They need to avoid picking up a yellow until December 31st otherwise they'll be suspended for one game. After that date the threshold for a suspension goes up to 10 yellows.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
Southampton have been on a wierd run of form .Were unbeaten in the league till they lost to City on Sunday but struggled somewhat at home .Thumped by Everton 3-0 lost to Stoke last week as well .

So probably they will be very nervous and hopefully we hard at them early and capitalise on that .

Expect we will go back to our away formation with Firmino up front .Think Henderson and Coutinho will start but Sturridge will be eased in .

Big game for some of our ex saints players as well .Hopefully they can cope with it comfortably .

I cant see Klopp passing up a massive chance of winning silverware .Think we will go with a strong  line up imo

Mignolet

Clyne  Skrtel Lovren Moreno

Henderson   Lucas

Milner    Coutinho  Lallana

Firmino

P.S

Think Clyne I wouldn't worry about as I think I'd rather have him playing this game than against Newcastle. With Hendo back, I think we can rest Can for Newcastle.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
Surely Tex must get a game here.

Can't play in the Sion match, so this will realistically be Klopp's only chance to see him in a proper game now Hendo's back in midfield. Maybe give Firmino a rest?

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
Surely Tex must get a game here.

Can't play in the Sion match, so this will realistically be Klopp's only chance to see him in a proper game now Hendo's back in midfield. Maybe give Firmino a rest?
I'd love to see more of Teixeira too but I'd prefer to see him play against Newcastle. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts instead of Lallana against Southampton though.

Hopefully we get a good draw in the early FA cup round so he can play that game.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
I'd love to see more of Teixeira too but I'd prefer to see him play against Newcastle. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts instead of Lallana against Southampton though.

Hopefully we get a good draw in the early FA cup round so he can play that game.

With 8 games in the next month or so, he's got to blood him soon, Tex is knocking at the door.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
Is the time on the match thread correct ? Thought its 19:45 KO

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
I don't think we need to see too much resting of players. There's a good 4 days between the cup game and the Newcastle league game, then I'd be resting everyone for Sion away.

However, Klopp said Moreno was "in pain everywhere" after the game against Swansea. I suspect it might mean a rest for him.
Could we see Can go to LB? Or Clyne switch to the left with Randall/Arnold/Brad Smith getting a go perhaps?

Migs
Clyne Skrtel Lovren Can
Lucas Allen Henderson(60 mins - Milner or Texeira depending on score)
Coutinho(Sturridge 60) Firmino Ibe
(Would also look to give Origi some time from the bench to get him ready for Sion)

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
Is the time on the match thread correct ? Thought its 19:45 KO
Fixed, thanks mate.
Seen us win everything

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
I don't think we need to see too much resting of players. There's a good 4 days between the cup game and the Newcastle league game, then I'd be resting everyone for Sion away.

However, Klopp said Moreno was "in pain everywhere" after the game against Swansea. I suspect it might mean a rest for him.
Could we see Can go to LB? Or Clyne switch to the left with Randall/Arnold/Brad Smith getting a go perhaps?

Migs
Clyne Skrtel Lovren Can
Lucas Allen Henderson(60 mins - Milner or Texeira depending on score)
Coutinho(Sturridge 60) Firmino Ibe
(Would also look to give Origi some time from the bench to get him ready for Sion)
The latter, i cant bare to watch Can as a full back anymore. Randall certainly put in a shift against Bournemouth, would love for him to get more minutes under his belt.
Seen us win everything

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
With 8 games in the next month or so, he's got to blood him soon, Tex is knocking at the door.

Yeah but if we want to win this competition, Southampton away is not the game to do it. We need to get back in to the habit of winning trophies so the league cup is a good place to start.

The FA cup will be a great chance for Tex I feel.

The latter, i cant bare to watch Can as a full back anymore. Randall certainly put in a shift against Bournemouth, would love for him to get more minutes under his belt.

I'd prefer to see Randall against Newcastle than against Southampton. If they decide to play Mane, he's going to have a very tough time.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
We need to target their right-hand side. Yoshida is hopeless and Cedric is not that great defensively.

Offline LODDZ

• Main Stander
From Cairo to Liverpool

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
We're three games away from a trip to Wembley

Aren't we two games away from the trip though? This one and the semi.

Cheers for the OP. Good stuff! Especially liked the Wikipedia stat integration.  :thumbup

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
Aren't we two games away from the trip though? This one and the semi.

Cheers for the OP. Good stuff! Especially liked the Wikipedia stat integration.  :thumbup

Semis in the league cup are always over 2 legs.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
I don't see Sturridge or Henderson starting this game but hopefully Henderson gets an hour and Sturridge gets another 20 minutes.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Good point. They need to avoid picking up a yellow until December 31st otherwise they'll be suspended for one game. After that date the threshold for a suspension goes up to 10 yellows.

I'd rather they just played as normal and missed a game to be honest, better to lose Can and/or Clyne for one game than have the pair walking on egg shells for six.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
We should be able to put out a decent side for this. Id expect Mignolet, Skrtel, Lovren, Lucas, Allen, Coutinho, Lallana, Ibe and Benteke to start. Maybe Randall to get another game and we still have the likes of Texiera, Origi, Henderson, Toure and Sturridge to call on.

We also play our game in the league on Sunday so we shouldnt have to rest many players in this game.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:21:58 am by killer_heels »

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
A tough away match - recent form at City and Chelsea encourages me. I say go close to near strength and we'll win.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah but if we want to win this competition, Southampton away is not the game to do it. We need to get back in to the habit of winning trophies so the league cup is a good place to start.

I'd prefer to see Randall against Newcastle than against Southampton. If they decide to play Mane, he's going to have a very tough time.

Its the perfect game to do it actually, sink or swim, to be honest he's played in more high pressured games before, even for us. Whos to say we won't with him in the team? I feel a fully fit Tex would be a better option than a number of players who will be playing there 3rd game in less than a couple weeks.

Offline bathoz

• Kopite
  • Wants a showpony.
I don't know how important this game is. Trophies are trophies. But we've got a number of players who never get a rest – and they happen to be the hardest runners: our fullbacks.

The problem is, we don't really have anyone to replace them with. Randall can have a go, who else? Are we suddenly going to promote Brad Smith? I don't see it. How injured in Enrique? Because I didn't even know he was hurt. I thought he was just frozen out.

The rest of the team has much more scope to rotate and stay strong. So, I expect to see some other faces, but still a 'first' team.

The opinions related above are in no way to be taken as anything more (or less) than those of an bored mind.

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
I would rest a few players who have been burden alot over since klopp came; Can, Moreno, Sktrel, Milner, Coutinho, Lallana. I would have them ready for Newcastle away - which is massive :-)

Offline invader_gir

• Anny Roader
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
I don't know how important this game is. Trophies are trophies. But we've got a number of players who never get a rest – and they happen to be the hardest runners: our fullbacks.

The problem is, we don't really have anyone to replace them with. Randall can have a go, who else? Are we suddenly going to promote Brad Smith? I don't see it. How injured in Enrique? Because I didn't even know he was hurt. I thought he was just frozen out.

The rest of the team has much more scope to rotate and stay strong. So, I expect to see some other faces, but still a 'first' team.

Still injured? I thought he turned into a tourist guide posting pics of all those holidays he has been on since his "injury" on instagram.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Snip
Nice one buddy, good little read that, appreciate the time and effort you've put in there especially given the short notice.

Cheers :wave

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Still injured? I thought he turned into a tourist guide posting pics of all those holidays he has been on since his "injury" on instagram.

He's not injured. Been training for a while now. Just not good enough to be in the squad I guess.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

He played for the U21's a few weeks back. Not sure if something happened since then or during that game?
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
Let's win this Capital One Cup, we need a trophy to celebrate about. Come On Redmen!
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
Its the perfect game to do it actually, sink or swim, to be honest he's played in more high pressured games before, even for us. Whos to say we won't with him in the team? I feel a fully fit Tex would be a better option than a number of players who will be playing there 3rd game in less than a couple weeks.

I'm just stating that if I was to choose which game out of the this one and the Newcastle game I'd like to see him in, it'd be Newcastle. This is going to be a very, very tough game so I want as strong a side out as possible ideally only resting where necessary. (Which is something only Klopp can judge and not ourselves.)

I want us to win the League Cup. Which could inspire us to win the Europa League and/or FA Cup. Which could even inspire us to do something crazy like win the league. The treble is well and truly on I feel.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:01:16 am by ThePeetmix »

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
Strongest team possible for this one please, should be able to rest a few against Sion and no midweek game on the run up to Watford. Would like to see the likes of Tex being given a run out for the last 30 minutes at Newcastle (score permitting!)
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
Would like to see Clyne get a rest ideally. He has been a regular all season and has also played internationals too.
I think his form has dipped a little because of it.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Would like to see Clyne get a rest ideally. He has been a regular all season and has also played internationals too.

Really? He has been very good and consistent all season for me. Haven't noticed any dips in form.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Enrique still showing as injured....

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Pretty sure he was in the training pictures from a few days ago. He's not injured.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan

Has it? Seems like he's been as good as he's been all season. The guy simply doesn't have bad games. The definition of Mr. Reliable.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan

We can dare to play him. Our young players tend to do well when they're given a chance. If we can't use them in the League Cup, then there will be very, very few opportunities for them. It's difficult enough as it is, so we need to look for games to use them. This is one of those games. The trick is to play one or two at a time, surrounded by first team regulars.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
We can dare to play him. Our young players tend to do well when they're given a chance. If we can't use them in the League Cup, then there will be very, very few opportunities for them. It's difficult enough as it is, so we need to look for games to use them. This is one of those games. The trick is to play one or two at a time, surrounded by first team regulars.

So why not against Newcastle at the weekend?

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
Would rather play Benteke than Sturridge. Sub after an hour or so and then unleash Sturridge from the off against Newcastle for an hour or so.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Wouldnt be too keen on rushing Hendo and Sturridge back into the starting line-up yet, especially one cold night. Coutinho as well. No need to rush them back when we've got the likes of Allen and Teixera available and fresh.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.