Author Topic: RIP Andrew Summerscales - Lifelong Liverpool Fan  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Birdontheshirt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
RIP Andrew Summerscales - Lifelong Liverpool Fan
« on: February 14, 2017, 10:58:42 pm »
Just heard about this on ITV news.  Very sad.  Telegraph online article follows:

"A colleague of the female police officers who were killed by Dale Cregan filled out his own death report before hanging himself in a park, an inquest heard.  Andrew Summerscales, 46, was one of the first on the scene where his “very good friends” Nicola Hughes, 23, and Fiona Bone, 32, were murdered in September 2012.

His son Joshua, 21, told the inquest that his father’s life “changed that day” as he sank into a depression and suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).  He had “loved” being a police officer, but always struggled to cope with the loss of his colleagues, who were lured to their deaths by Cregan.

The 33-year-old drug dealer, who was already wanted by police for the double murder of a father and son, put in a bogus call to the police before killing the female officers in a gun and grenade attack in Hattersley, Greater Manchester. He continues to serve life in prison without parole.

Stockport Coroner’s Court on Tuesday heard that Mr Summerscales went back to work after receiving treatment for depression, but eventually left the police in November 2015 after 15 years' service.

Joanne Kearsley, area coroner for Manchester South, said she had no doubt that the circumstances of WPC Hughes and WPC Bone’s deaths “affected him greatly” - but the court also heard details of other tragedies in his life.  The ex-officer, originally from Oldham, was a life-long Liverpool FC fan and had been in the Leppings Lane end on the day of the Hillsborough disaster in 1989, later attending memorial events at Anfield to remember the 96 fans who lost their lives.

The court was told that prior to his death, he suffered a “relapse" in his mental health, and then sent emails and goodbye text messages to friends and colleagues telling them he intended to take his own life in the early hours of August 30 last year.  He also filled out his own death report on official police paperwork, which was found in his pocket, along with a body identity tag used by police to ascertain who has died, before hanging himself in Stalybridge. Tests revealed there were no drugs or alcohol in his body.
Previously, he had found a member of the public hanged in the same spot on a children’s climbing frame while walking in the park off duty in April 2015.

His GP Dr Barbara Ellis, who treated him following the death of his colleagues who worked on the same shift at Greater Manchester Police (GMP), signed him off work for around 12 months while he took anti-depressants and underwent psychological therapies.  But each year around the time of the murders he would begin to feel "very down and not able to cope", and on "several occasions" had talked about suicidal thoughts, Dr Ellis said.

Almost four years to the anniversary of the killings, Detective Inspector Ian Harratt told the inquest he was called after the body of Mr Summerscales, a father of one, was discovered.  He said: "He had filled out his own death report and his own identity bracelet."  The officer said Pc Colette Tattersall had received an email, dated at 1.12am on August 30, from Mr Summerscales saying he intended to take his own life.

GMP's own consultant psychiatrist, Dr Ian Rogerson, said he had seen and discharged Mr Summerscales in July 2013 after he was "much improved", though he was still on anti-depressants and receiving therapy to help his mental health.

His ex-girlfriend, Carly Weston, said in a statement they had had a "great relationship" until Cregan’s attack, and they separated eight months later but remained good friends.  She said: "I tried to help him as much as I could but he was in a very dark place. His moods remained very up and down. He returned to work eventually and seemed to be coping.  A number of other things also contributed. Early on in our relationship he said he had been at Hillsborough Stadium on the day of the incident and that had affected him. He had been in the crowd in the Leppings Lane end."  After leaving the police in November 2015, he found “new focus” working as a delivery driver, the inquest heard, but struggled to overcome his old demons.

Ms Kearsley, concluding that Mr Summerscales took his own life, said: "He had endured a number of tragedies through his life. There's no doubts the events of September 2012 affected him greatly.  "He had some help and assistance after that incident but clearly and quite understandably he struggled to continue his role as a police officer.  "I think probably he was relapsing at the time he died. I have no doubt at the time he died he was suffering a relapsing of the condition he had suffered since 2012."  Addressing his son Joshua, she added: "You should be very proud, I have no doubt he suffered a number of tragic events through his life and I'm very thankful for you giving evidence."
Luck favours the brave, but not the stupid.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
Re: RIP Andrew Summerscales - Lifelong Liverpool Fan
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 11:27:52 pm »
Thats rather sad and horrible to read.

R.I.P Andrew.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 11:39:20 pm »
RIP, poor guy and family.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 11:47:55 pm »
RIP :(

That's really so sad :(
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 11:50:04 pm »
Poor man,  what a heartbreaking read. RIP Andrew.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 12:06:42 am »
Very very sad.

RIP
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Birdontheshirt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 12:15:34 am »
I worked in NHS Mental Health Services for more than 30 yrs, and with many people with PTSD.  So I can understand why Andrew's ex-girlfriend draws a link from his death to his experience at Hillsborough.  Of course it impacts on vulnerability for further adverse events.  It's so long after, and yet still a long shadow.  This is so so sad. 
Luck favours the brave, but not the stupid.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 01:13:35 am »
Awful, RIP Andrew
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 02:22:24 am »
Jesus , what a sad, sad story - where to begin ?

RIP Andrew - hope you are in a better place now...

Thoughts to his friends and family.
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 10:14:22 pm »
Saw that story on the BBC, very sad indeed. Thoughts to all Friends and family

RIP
YNWA

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 11:03:08 pm »
Thats rather sad and horrible to read.

R.I.P Andrew.

RIP. Very sad story.

Suggests though that Police Authority could have done more to get the poor guy continued treatment once he left the Police.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 02:58:00 pm »
Wish it had've been Cregan, not many bigger wastes of skin in the world.  And I don't use that lightly, but I hate that guy deeply.

RIP Mr. Summerscales.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline AP823

• Kopite
  • Ap Singh - @ApSingh823
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 10:03:11 am »
horrible to read, RIP Andrew - thoughts with his family and friends. 
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."
Rafa Benitez

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 10:33:35 am »
A sad story made even sadder after the link with Hillsborough.

Pity politicians can't just respect the victims and not try and make capital out of the disaster.