Author Topic: Show Me The Mané's Tedious Circular Argument Topic  (Read 24821 times)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Show Me The Mané's Tedious Circular Argument Topic
« Reply #120 on: February 8, 2017, 02:56:09 pm »
Wow - well that's an interesting response.

I see that I have upset the wrong people talking about the wrong subjects - OK message understood, I'll leave you to carry on discussing the topic as you wish.

As SP called it, before you even wrote that response, you could be looking in a mirror:

Hmm it seems you are happy to fling around pithy little comments but come a bit unstuck when asked to.justify them.

Fair enough - file me under "unconvinced".

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #121 on: February 8, 2017, 04:26:09 pm »
Then stop posting comments like this:

and then complaining when you get a polite response.

If you want a sensible discussion about a complex subject I'm happy to oblige.

Sensible discussion with you?  Ha ha.

Your response was not polite - it was condescending (thanks SP) and patronising.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online Millie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #122 on: February 8, 2017, 04:29:19 pm »
Well done for telling a lawyer she knows fuck all about the law. I assume from that you are a lawyer of some kind?

Not quite a lawyer - but worked in the profession for years and have actually studied Law, including EU Law.

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #123 on: February 8, 2017, 05:09:20 pm »

I thought M'Lud of Cork's handling of a similarly challenging situation to the one you found yourself in here from our newly resident Bush Lawyer was beautiful and also very amusing...

...Right, well, unfortunately we've reached the stage where if you want me to continue to advise you, you'll have to pay me.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online Millie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #124 on: February 8, 2017, 05:11:42 pm »
I thought M'Lud of Cork's handling of a similarly challenging situation to the one you found yourself in here from our newly resident Bush Lawyer was beautiful and also very amusing...

...Right, well, unfortunately we've reached the stage where if you want me to continue to advise you, you'll have to pay me.

;D  Brilliant response

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #125 on: February 8, 2017, 06:31:01 pm »
I liked Alan's lock message too:

Locked to stop Show me the Mane wasting a lot of people's time. There's no shame in being wrong, but to be wrong on so many counts and in so many ways but still to argue the toss is inexcusable.

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
Re: The Labour Party (*)
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2017, 01:48:38 pm »
These are all arguing after the fact though. The Brexit referendum was rightly regarded as the biggest political decision of a generation – far more so than a general election.

The Labour leader (or the leader of any party with national ambitions) would have to have an extremely strong reason to overturn, ignore, or try to amend the result of that vote.

Let’s examine the points individually:
leaving the EEA is, and should have been, a different question.

You do know that you can be in the EEA and not in the EU?  See Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.
Maybe it should maybe it shouldn’t but that’s irrelevant to the current question. Both sides set out their arguments and a vote was taken – politically (as opposed to legally) the decision cannot be overturned by saying “actually we should have asked a different question” – the country would not stand for it.

The referendum had a multitude of faults but perhaps the biggest among them was that it offered a binary choice between two non binary options….

But that’s always the issue with any referendum about a complex issue is it not? Nevertheless every voter going into the booths knew that was the case in advance.

Leave means a hundred different things to a hundred different people and there certainly isn't a majority mandate for the hard Brexit May and the Tories are forcing on us.
We know theres no majority for a hard Brexit so whats wrong with a Norwegian type deal, the hard leave campaign will go berzerk, am not interested, this is about democracy not what they want, they have to prove to us that the majority of people voted for a hard Brexit, do that and they've won the argument.
The situation today is a Tory government are imposing a Tory hard Brexit based on Tory ideology and telling the country this is what you voted for. it's a lie and the biggest abuse of our democracy in our lifetime.

In which case the Tories will be duly punished at the next election by the electorate. As you say, there was no detailed plan about what the outcome of the referendum would entail – it was not even legally binding – only advisory. The people voted to hand over the power to the politicians to negotiate the terms of Leave/Remain – including the option for a Hard Brexit. If a mandate was required Theresa May could call a General Election tomorrow and – by every opinion poll published – be confident of increasing her share of the vote to reiterate it.

The option of a second vote on the terms was specifically ruled out before the referendum and would clearly make no sense anyway. Why would the EU countries be incentivised to offer anything other than a crap deal knowing that, as long as they did so, Britain would vote in a second referendum to stay in the EU?

That's like saying that the people voted to go on holiday, but nobody ever mentioned where or when or with who and the people who said that going on holiday was a good idea were liars.
There was also a very narrow margin for a holiday, a margin that the people in favour of a holiday said that they would consider to be meaningless if they lost.

Parents ask for a family holiday to be put to the vote and it was decided to go on holiday. Parents can decide when or where the holiday will be however there must be one – it’s no good saying “we are actually not going to have a holiday because the margin was too small”.

Oh dear, was Show me the Mané starved of attention over the weekend? Looks like he's started his merry-go-round spinning, ..

As usual, nothing of substance to address here – I included your reply only for the sake of being comprehensive.

For Labour, there is no argument that the referendum has been called illegally or gerrymandered or had any lower standard of debate than any recent election or lacks a mandate (as the evidence shows one could be obtained if it were sought via a General Election) therefore the only option would have been to abstain from the A50 vote ("Jeremy's showing no leadership"), whip the MPs to vote against the referendum result (electoral suicide due to the distribution of votes in the constituencies and which would likely have resulted in a larger rebellion than was seen in the other direction), campaign for amendments ( a list of which were put forward and subsequently rejected) or to trigger the process decided upon by the referendum.

It's an intractable problem for anyone leading the Labour Party - and not one that anybody has offered a realistic solution for.

It may well turn out that Corbyn will do the party a huge favour by acting as a Night Watchman to absorb the vitriol over this period and allow a new leader to emerge unencumbered and untainted by what has gone on.
Mate, with all due respect, you are an absolute fucking fruit case -MOZ

Seriously mate - You post such utter fucking gash with such conviction it's quite spell binding. - Alan_X

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
Re: Re: The Labour Party (*)
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2017, 01:52:33 pm »
Who gave 'show me the mane' the authority to speak for the country, saying what the country would or would not allow and making statements about what every voter was aware of when their cast their vote?

Legacy fan

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2017, 01:56:03 pm »
As usual, nothing of substance to address here – I included your reply only for the sake of being comprehensive.

It's clear that for all of your self-aggrandising, and belief you are a capable arguer, you lack even simple comprehension skills. This is not the Brexit thread, nor is it the thread for your meandering 'hmm well how about this instead' posits and goalpost moving (in place of actual argument/discussion).

And your line quoted above self-evidently shows you don't even understand what comprehensive means. Here's the rest of what I said that you cut out (and then pretended to have comprehensively quoted):

Oh dear, was Show me the Mané starved of attention over the weekend? Looks like he's started his merry-go-round spinning, and it looks like the shit argument he wants to get going is the vote leave whinge about 'anti-democracy'.

Surely he is aware it is bullshit (perhaps I am giving him too much credit, but for sure that bullshit has been denounced enough times by now. The opposition aren't supposed to go home the day after election day, only to emerge from hibernation years later for the next election.

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2017, 01:59:52 pm »
It's clear that for all of your self-aggrandising, and belief you are a capable arguer, you lack even simple comprehension skills. This is not the Brexit thread, nor is it the thread for your meandering 'hmm well how about this instead' posits and goalpost moving (in place of actual argument/discussion).

And your line quoted above self-evidently shows you don't even understand what comprehensive means. Here's the rest of what I said that you cut out (and then pretended to have comprehensively quoted):

No it's not the Brexit thread - which is why I started and ended my post with the problems posed to the Labour Party leader.

The "comprehensive" referred to the number of posters who had responded to my post not re-posting their entire text, however, now you have gone to the trouble, there's still nothing of substance in your post to reply to.

And what "self-aggrandising" are you referring to?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:01:31 pm by Show Me The Mané »

Seriously mate - You post such utter fucking gash with such conviction it's quite spell binding. - Alan_X

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2017, 02:06:20 pm »
Who gave 'show me the mane' the authority to speak for the country, saying what the country would or would not allow and making statements about what every voter was aware of when their cast their vote?

It's my opinion. On a forum which is meant to be about the exchange of opnions. Backed by recent and overwhelming evidence from the voting booths, Parliament and opinion polling. If you didn't want to hear it why did you bother coming up with your bizarre "family holiday" analogy?

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2017, 02:10:20 pm »
It's my opinion. On a forum which is meant to be about the exchange of opnions. Backed by recent and overwhelming evidence from the voting booths, Parliament and opinion polling. If you didn't want to hear it why did you bother coming up with your bizarre "family holiday" analogy?

I rather liked the holiday one, thought it made more sense than a European superstate anyway.

What 'recent and overwhelming evidence' are you talking about? There have been a number of polls showing support waning for brexit, especially any hard brexit, and the extra support the lib dems are enjoying following their anti-brexit stance would indicate that the country certainly would 'allow it'.
Legacy fan

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2017, 02:10:20 pm »

Except you are constantly being presented with polling that shows your clumsy ham-fisted position that 'everyone knew what they were voting for' neglects the detail and nuance:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/11/theresa-may-hard-brexit-public-backlash-icm-poll

A clear majority of the British public oppose Theresa May’s uncompromising Brexit negotiating position and are not prepared for the UK to crash out of the EU if the prime minister cannot negotiate a reasonable exit deal, according to a new poll.

In a sign that public support for the government’s push for a hard Brexit is increasingly precarious, just 35% of the public said they backed Britain leaving the EU without an agreement with other states. The UK would then fall back on to World Trade Organisation (WTO) tariffs, which MPs and business leaders have claimed would devastate the economy.

The survey – conducted by ICM for the online campaigning organisation Avaaz on the day the House of Commons voted overwhelmingly to trigger article 50 – suggests May would face a considerable backlash if Britain crashed out of the EU on WTO terms. In a welcome boost for soft Brexit campaigners, over half (54%) of those surveyed backed either extending negotiations if a satisfactory deal could not be reached, or halting the process altogether while the public was consulted for a second time.

The Liberal Democrat foreign affairs spokesman, Tom Brake, said the findings proved the government’s position was indefensible.

Of the 54% of people who opposed the government’s position, 34% said May should continue negotiating. A further 20% backed halting the process pending a second referendum on the terms of the deal, an option backed by the Lib Dems and a cross-party group of MPs including the Labour MPs David Lammy, Heidi Alexander and Ben Bradshaw, as well as the Green Party leader, Caroline Lucas.

Brake said: “Our best hope of stopping a ruinous hard Brexit that nobody voted for and few want is if the public rally round to fight it, as Brexit grows more unpopular. That means uniting many who voted leave but now want to avoid the economic catastrophe of quitting the single market, and who want to protect those European citizens who contribute so much to Britain’s economy and society.”
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2017, 02:26:57 pm »
Except you are constantly being presented with polling that shows your clumsy ham-fisted position that 'everyone knew what they were voting for' neglects the detail and nuance:

No -  my point isn't that the "detail and nuance" has or hasn't been neglected - my point is that voters made a straightforward decision about remaining within or leaving the EU and allowed the "detail and nuance" to be subsequently determined by politicians - which is exactly what's happening.

The referendum was never binding - only advisory.

If the poll that you have linked to shows that there is no appetite for a Hard Brexit then Theresa May will have to make a decision to either listen to the polling or to ignore it and reap the consequences.

Nevertheless, either way, that doesn't make the result of the referendum invalid since that was going to be the process all along whichever way the country voted.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:43:17 pm by Show Me The Mané »

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2017, 07:48:29 pm »
No -  my point isn't that the "detail and nuance" has or hasn't been neglected - my point is that voters made a straightforward decision about remaining within or leaving the EU and allowed the "detail and nuance" to be subsequently determined by politicians - which is exactly what's happening.

The referendum was never binding - only advisory.

If the poll that you have linked to shows that there is no appetite for a Hard Brexit then Theresa May will have to make a decision to either listen to the polling or to ignore it and reap the consequences.

Nevertheless, either way, that doesn't make the result of the referendum invalid since that was going to be the process all along whichever way the country voted.
Well the Torys,UKIP +30 odd million people dont agree with you on that point.
The country is split. 1 third of the country are demanding a hard Brexit from the government. 2 thirds are telling the government they dont want this hard Brexit. neither are leaving the fine details to the government, the realty is they are powerless to stop the government doing as they please.

It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2017, 08:22:11 pm »
In which case the Tories will be duly punished at the next election by the electorate. As you say, there was no detailed plan about what the outcome of the referendum would entail – it was not even legally binding – only advisory. The people voted to hand over the power to the politicians to negotiate the terms of Leave/Remain – including the option for a Hard Brexit. If a mandate was required Theresa May could call a General Election tomorrow and – by every opinion poll published – be confident of increasing her share of the vote to reiterate it.

The option of a second vote on the terms was specifically ruled out before the referendum and would clearly make no sense anyway. Why would the EU countries be incentivised to offer anything other than a crap deal knowing that, as long as they did so, Britain would vote in a second referendum to stay in the EU?
A GE wouldn't give the Torys a mandate for a hard Brexit as other issues besides the EU will be taken into consideration when voting. only another referendum will solve the problem. this will be a promise by the Lib Dems in future GE.
A second referendum on our choices not the terms. a hard or soft Brexit. there shouldn't be a problem with the EU, the leave campaign told us it would be easy. they need us more than we need them after all.the leave campaign told us all this before the referendum so the secrets out.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2017, 09:44:25 am »
A GE wouldn't give the Torys a mandate for a hard Brexit as other issues besides the EU will be taken into consideration when voting. only another referendum will solve the problem. this will be a promise by the Lib Dems in future GE.
A second referendum on our choices not the terms. a hard or soft Brexit. there shouldn't be a problem with the EU, the leave campaign told us it would be easy. they need us more than we need them after all.the leave campaign told us all this before the referendum so the secrets out.

If the terms were that specific no governing party would ever have a mandate for anything.

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2017, 09:49:36 am »

I see on Twitter Momentum are sending up 100's of people to help knock on doors and deliver leaflets.

I wonder how many people would be knocking on doors for Owen Smith or Chuka Ummuna?

What the assembled sages on here keep ignoring is that the Centrists can't win without the Left just as the Left cant win without Centrists.

With the vitriol that has been directed Corbyn's way since Day One I think I there is a real doubt that the party will be unified anytime in the near future.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2017, 10:01:57 am »
I wonder how many people would be knocking on doors for Owen Smith or Chuka Ummuna?

What the assembled sages on here keep ignoring is that the Centrists can't win without the Left just as the Left cant win without Centrists.

With the vitriol that has been directed Corbyn's way since Day One I think I there is a real doubt that the party will be unified anytime in the near future.
Keep ignoring?

But you're new here...

Oops.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2017, 10:14:36 am »
If the terms were that specific no governing party would ever have a mandate for anything.
Wasn't a mandate the whole point of the referendum, this is why people argue the question was flawed.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2017, 10:17:04 am »
Keep ignoring?

But you're new here...

Oops.

I don't follow? I've got 250 posts and my own thread at what point do I stop becoming "new"?

EDIT: Just realised what you meant - I am not the other poster "Wallingtonian" despite having similar views about Europe.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:31:09 am by Show Me The Mané »

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2017, 10:54:22 am »
Wasn't a mandate the whole point of the referendum, this is why people argue the question was flawed.

Yes it was the point.

But you cant keep having referendums for exactly what type of Brexit / Remain we should have in perpetuity which is why a second referendum was ruled out BEFORE the vote took place.

In fact, you could argue that had people known there was going to be a second referendum on the terms, the margin of the Leave victory would have been much bigger as it would have represented less of a risk (this is precisely why a second referendum was ruled out).

The rules were in place before the vote - we cant change them afterwards because we didn't like the result .

Online Millie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2017, 11:02:39 am »
God this is tedious.

We were only asked if we want to leave the EU.  We were never asked if we wanted to also leave the EEA.  No one voted to leave the EEA.   We were constantly quoted "the Norway" option throughout the campaign - even Frottage harped on about it.

The government have no mandate whatsoever for this hard Brexit.

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2017, 11:08:26 am »
...we cant change them afterwards because we didn't like the result .

Did you vote in the referendum?
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2017, 11:12:12 am »
God this is tedious.

We were only asked if we want to leave the EU.  We were never asked if we wanted to also leave the EEA.  No one voted to leave the EEA.   We were constantly quoted "the Norway" option throughout the campaign - even Frottage harped on about it.

The government have no mandate whatsoever for this hard Brexit.

Well, if so, my posts have been nicely fenced-off into this little thread so why would you bother coming in here and putting yourself through all the tedium?

And you're wrong to say they have no mandate for a "Hard" Brexit.

Frottage, and whoever else, made whatever claims and suggestions they wanted nevertheless:

The Prime Minister made it clear that we would be voting to leave the Single Market.
The Chancellor made it clear we would be leaving the Single Market.
The Official Remain campaign made it clear we would be leaving the Single Market.
The Official Leave campaign made it clear we would be leaving the Single Market.

We hear time after time that the reason people voted Leave was to curb immigration - control of which can only be achieved by leaving the Single Market.

Every opinion poll taken shows that if Theresa May was to call a General Election tomorrow seeking backing for the route she has taken she would win an overwhelming mandate.

What we DON'T have any mandate for is ignoring the result of the referendum or seeking a second vote - since it was explicitly ruled out before the referendum took place.

Those are the facts - "tedious" or not.

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2017, 11:12:46 am »

Online Millie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2017, 11:22:00 am »
Well, if so, my posts have been nicely fenced-off into this little thread so why would you bother coming in here and putting yourself through all the tedium?

And you're wrong to say they have no mandate for a "Hard" Brexit.

Frottage, and whoever else, made whatever claims and suggestions they wanted nevertheless:

The Prime Minister made it clear that we would be voting to leave the Single Market.
The Chancellor made it clear we would be leaving the Single Market.
The Official Remain campaign made it clear we would be leaving the Single Market.
The Official Leave campaign made it clear we would be leaving the Single Market.

We hear time after time that the reason people voted Leave was to curb immigration - control of which can only be achieved by leaving the Single Market.

Every opinion poll taken shows that if Theresa May was to call a General Election tomorrow seeking backing for the route she has taken she would win an overwhelming mandate.

What we DON'T have any mandate for is ignoring the result of the referendum or seeking a second vote - since it was explicitly ruled out before the referendum took place.

Those are the facts - "tedious" or not.

Cut out the patronising crap.

If it was so "clear" that we were voting to leave the single market why was Norway quoted so often during the campaign? 

How can a question asking "do you want to leave the EU", "make it clear" that it also includes leaving the EEA?  They are two separate things.  Again see Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

Also, please stop telling me about the articles contained in  Directive 2004/38/EC - I know it back to front and inside out.

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2017, 11:30:40 am »
Cut out the patronising crap.

If it was so "clear" that we were voting to leave the single market why was Norway quoted so often during the campaign? 

How can a question asking "do you want to leave the EU", "make it clear" that it also includes leaving the EEA?  They are two separate things.  Again see Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

Also, please stop telling me about the articles contained in  Directive 2004/38/EC - I know it back to front and inside out.

The question posed was whether we should Remain in or Leave the EU. That's it.

Since there were no further questions it was clear that the process, terms and details of proceeding with either vote were to be determined by the politicians we have elected and that is what is currebtly happening. This includes the option of a soft brexit, a hard brexit, a soft remain, a hard remain and everything inbetween.

The people positing the Norway option were not the ones with the power to make policy. The Norway option was, and is still, an option, but it appears the PM has decided against it,

The question did come up about calling a second referendum on the terms of exit however it was explicitly rejected before the vote took place - I saw this live on TV when the Prime Minister answered the question in the House

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/22/david-cameron-ridicules-boris-johnsons-second-referendum-idea

So what is the basis for rejecting the route that has been taken? Thats it's illegal? That the PM, Chancellor, Offcial Leave and Official Remain campaigns did not set out their position? Or that you simply dont like the result?

If you feel that Theresa May is doing something the country doesn't want to do then she will be duly punished at the next election.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:35:41 am by Show Me The Mané »

Online Millie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2017, 11:39:43 am »
I have already answered you.

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2017, 11:42:19 am »
Yes it was the point.

But you cant keep having referendums for exactly what type of Brexit / Remain we should have in perpetuity which is why a second referendum was ruled out BEFORE the vote took place.

In fact, you could argue that had people known there was going to be a second referendum on the terms, the margin of the Leave victory would have been much bigger as it would have represented less of a risk (this is precisely why a second referendum was ruled out).

The rules were in place before the vote - we cant change them afterwards because we didn't like the result .
If the referendum asks the right question then you only need one referendum.
The situation we have now is  the minority leave campaign claim the majority voted for a hard Brexit. we know that cant possibly be true so the arguments will rage on for decades.
You say change the rules afterwards. the reason why we are in this mess is because the leave campaign changed the rules afterwards. we've been through this many times before so no need to cover all the issues. Norway option is enough, the leave campaign won millions of votes arguing how well Norway are doing outside the EU. they now claim nobody voted for this as everyone knew a vote to leave was a vote to leave the single market. talk about changing the rules afterwards, that was changing the game never mind the rules.
All bets are off as far as am concerned.this made the vote invalid as a choice was removed after the vote. back to square 1. another referendum giving us a clear choice.

Emily Maitlis

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2017, 11:45:52 am »

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2017, 11:48:19 am »
If the referendum asks the right question then you only need one referendum.
The situation we have now is  the minority leave campaign claim the majority voted for a hard Brexit. we know that cant possibly be true so the arguments will rage on for decades.
You say change the rules afterwards. the reason why we are in this mess is because the leave campaign changed the rules afterwards. we've been through this many times before so no need to cover all the issues. Norway option is enough, the leave campaign won millions of votes arguing how well Norway are doing outside the EU. they now claim nobody voted for this as everyone knew a vote to leave was a vote to leave the single market. talk about changing the rules afterwards, that was changing the game never mind the rules.
All bets are off as far as am concerned.this made the vote invalid as a choice was removed after the vote. back to square 1. another referendum giving us a clear choice.

Can't see that line of argument being too successful - it seems rather like we will keep having referendums until you get the result you want.

There were claims and counter-claims made by both sides and there have been in every election in history.

In fact, nobody made it explicit in 1975 the direction the Common Market was heading in so similarly "all bets are off" regarding that result too and therefore the question of our membership would not have to arise.

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2017, 11:55:13 am »
Yes.

Your IP suggests that you should not have.

Ha ha, that's hilarious - the insulting replies and segregation of my posts isn't enough, I'm now getting IP checks due to my seditious writings?

I thought this was a football website not a portal to 1940's Berlin.  ;D

Yes, I'm currently working outside the UK but wasn't at the time of the referendum - is that allowed?

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2017, 11:58:49 am »
Ha ha, that's hilarious - the insulting replies and segregation of my posts isn't enough, I'm now getting IP checks due to my seditious writings?

I thought this was a football website not a portal to 1940's Berlin.  ;D

Yes, I'm currently working outside the UK but wasn't at the time of the referendum - is that allowed?

The IP check was not a result of you posting. It was a result of you doing a more than passable imitation of a previously banned user. We have no problem with seditious writing. We abhor tedious writing though.

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2017, 12:01:46 pm »
The IP check was not a result of you posting. It was a result of you doing a more than passable imitation of a previously banned user. We have no problem with seditious writing. We abhor tedious writing though.

Ah OK fair enough - no I am not a previously banned user (i presume it was "Wallingtonian").

Look, what you say is "tedious" I regard as being the facts - and nobody has actually offered a counter-argument to those.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2017, 12:06:01 pm »
nobody has actually offered a counter-argument to those.

That is as far from true as it is possible to be. It may be that no one has presented a case that has penetrated your blinkered world view that effectively filtered anything that does not reinforce your opinion. Your case has been comprehensively dismantled so frequently that the circular process of you ignoring the debunkings got hived off to a separate topic to spare the topics that had submerged beneath it.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2017, 12:07:13 pm »
Ah OK fair enough - no I am not a previously banned user (i presume it was "Wallingtonian").

Look, what you say is "tedious" I regard as being the facts - and nobody has actually offered a counter-argument to those.

Plenty of people have offered counter arguments to your 'facts'. That you choose to ignore them is probably the reason why your posts have been separated off from the other threads.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2017, 12:11:20 pm »
Can't see that line of argument being too successful - it seems rather like we will keep having referendums until you get the result you want.

There were claims and counter-claims made by both sides and there have been in every election in history.

In fact, nobody made it explicit in 1975 the direction the Common Market was heading in so similarly "all bets are off" regarding that result too and therefore the question of our membership would not have to arise.
The question is not whether the argument is successful, the government are in full control and there not interested in arguments. the question is,is it a valid argument yes it is.
Ive said all along if another referendum to leave is won on a clear choice then nobody would have the right to dispute the wishes of the people.nobody who wants to stay in the EU would have the right to argue this is not what people voted for.
The stay campaign made predictions, the leave campaign made arguments they knew to be untrue. deliberate lies. there is a difference. if the pound had collapsed and the likes of Nisan announced they were relocating then a emergency budget could have happened. nobody knew how the markets would have reacted. they were predictions. arguing we cant stop Turkey joining the EU was a deliberate lie.
Deliberately arguing for Norway while arguing to stop FOM was a deliberate lie.
standing in front of a poster showing refugees was a deliberate lie.
the 1975 vote was very simple. no single market and no FOM issues.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2017, 12:18:54 pm »
That is as far from true as it is possible to be. It may be that no one has presented a case that has penetrated your blinkered world view that effectively filtered anything that does not reinforce your opinion. Your case has been comprehensively dismantled so frequently that the circular process of you ignoring the debunkings got hived off to a separate topic to spare the topics that had submerged beneath it.

Plenty of people have offered counter arguments to your 'facts'. That you choose to ignore them is probably the reason why your posts have been separated off from the other threads.

Well it's not really a question of just "putting forward a counter-argument" - they actually have to be persuasive arguments.

What have been put forward are people's justifications for why they think a second referendum should occur or why Article 50 should be resisted.

Whilst I agree these have been repeated ad nauseum they don't "debunk" my line of argument which are built on the facts of the topic.

To take one example, "Frottage said we could have a Norway option" doesn't invalidate the result of the referendum because we COULD have had a Norway option - it's just that the PM decided to go a different route. The reverse could have been claimed by the "Hard Brexiteers" if she had opted for the Norway option instead.

It was known before the vote that the subsequent political course would be steered by politicians - that is the inescapable fact since there was only the option of Leave/Remain on the ballot paper.

I would be happy to concede to anyone who can demonstrate  - factually - that the result of the referendum should be disregarded but arguments that the people were too stupid / ill informed / unwise to know what they were voting for are not sufficient grounds as, arguably, that has been the case in every vote in history.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:21:43 pm by Show Me The Mané »

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2017, 12:26:24 pm »
The question is not whether the argument is successful, the government are in full control and there not interested in arguments. the question is,is it a valid argument yes it is.
Ive said all along if another referendum to leave is won on a clear choice then nobody would have the right to dispute the wishes of the people.nobody who wants to stay in the EU would have the right to argue this is not what people voted for.
The stay campaign made predictions, the leave campaign made arguments they knew to be untrue. deliberate lies. there is a difference. if the pound had collapsed and the likes of Nisan announced they were relocating then a emergency budget could have happened. nobody knew how the markets would have reacted. they were predictions. arguing we cant stop Turkey joining the EU was a deliberate lie.
Deliberately arguing for Norway while arguing to stop FOM was a deliberate lie.
standing in front of a poster showing refugees was a deliberate lie.
the 1975 vote was very simple. no single market and no FOM issues.

How would you propose that future elections are never again tainted by lies from either side?