Author Topic: R.I.P Bobby Wilcox and Lenny Woods  (Read 95784 times)

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
R.I.P Bobby Wilcox and Lenny Woods
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:30:52 pm »
The sad passing tonight of a truly Great Red, Bobby Wilcox.

Bobby passed away earlier tonight after a short illness,all regular match going Reds will fondly remember Bobby who followed Liverpool the length of the Country and across Europe.
R.I.P Bobby

YNWA

Bobby in Cardiff for the 2006 FA Cup Final
The greatest Liverpool fan I ever knew died this week. I’ll correct that: probably the greatest Liverpool fan anyone ever knew died this week.

As one of his friends put it on hearing the sad news, ‘If Bill Shankly was Liverpool’s greatest manager, and Kenny Dalglish Liverpool’s greatest player, then Bobby Wilcox was surely the club’s greatest supporter.’

It was always a great source of amusement to Bobby and his ilk - the likes of Lenny Woods, Sully, et al - when this accolade was suggested. It wasn’t important to them and they’d dismiss it with a, ‘We’re all Reds together’. Well some Reds are more equal than others; some are writ through large with the name Liverpool Football Club’; some are quite, simply, legendary. Step up to the plate, Bobby Wilcox.

This isn’t an obituary for Bobby Wilcox, the man. I’m not qualified to write that. I only knew Bobby as a Liverpool supporter. It is clear, however, from the tributes being paid from all quarters that he was loved and respected throughout the city of Liverpool. He was truly one of the city’s greatest characters.

Bobby was a giant on the local Liverpool amateur football scene, with over 25 years service as secretary of the hugely successful Britannia FC in the Liverpool and District Sunday League. However, amongst the family of Liverpool supporters, his star shone even brighter. He was larger than life, recognised by Reds the world over, and held in great respect by every fan he ever came into contact with.

Wherever Liverpool played - Wilcox was there. And he wasn’t there alone. Bobby organised travel, tickets and accommodation for countless fans over the years, hauling them to all four corners of Europe and beyond. Without Bobby’s tireless energy, humour and plain silliness many Reds would never have made it.

Without Bobby’s famous ‘Wilcox Tours’ (Never Knowingly Underdrunk) many younger Reds may never have caught the Liverpool bug. Bobby and his famous plastic carrier bag were a common sight, a permanent fixture, almost, at airports, train stations and the football grounds of Europe.

In fact, I believe his carrier bag had been to so many European away games it has more appearances than Ian Callaghan and Phil Neal combined.

Those youngsters that caught the bug whilst under Wilcox’s wing benefited from the experience of his 40 years of following his beloved Reds the length and breadth of the land. A good pal of his wrote this week, ‘What Liverpool Football Club has lost with his passing is a true anchor to the days where lads from our city, local supporters, were given the opportunity to follow their team all over the world, and without that Liverpool loses its soul.’

Bobby Wilcox was as good an example of the soul of this football club - of this city - as I have ever seen.

And that’s what’s so important. Bobby’s legacy is not the fact that he supported Liverpool everywhere they played; but rather the manner in which he supported Liverpool, and the example he was. This is his legacy, not the stamps on his passport. Above it all there was his utter devotion to the team he loved - the team he supported with all the glee of a little kid and all the experience of one of Shankly’s original Kopites.

He was a magnificent ambassador abroad for our club and our city. On a personal level he was similarly charismatic. Bobby would argue with you ‘til the cows came home, then buy you a pint; he would burst suddenly into song without warning, sometimes whilst in mid-conversation with you and sometimes singing total gibberish. He would mercilessly take the mickey out of you then give you a little wink; it was never serious with Bobby.

I’ve heard a rumour that he was quiet once, but I don’t believe it. If Bobby wasn’t gabbling fifteen to the dozen, he was singing; if he was doing neither he was more than likely downing a pint. His singing - alongside his buddy Lenny Woods (The Mulligan and O’Hare of The Albert) - is legendary and he entertained the lads and lasses on many a long train journey, or during many a post-Derby game victory singsong in the pub. Yes, his singing...

Bobby will be fondly remembered as one of Liverpool’s great football crooners, and I will never hear the line ‘His name was Johnny Barnes ...’ again without seeing his face all crinkled up and his eyes glinting behind his glasses, knowing that this was Bobby Wilcox in his element: his mates, a pint and a song about the team he loved.

Bobby Wilcox passed away this week in the Royal Hospital in Liverpool. He had only very recently been diagnosed with cancer and his family were with him at the bedside. He was 60 years old.

Bobby Wilcox, 1948 - 2009: Scouser, Legend, Liverpudlian. Rest In Peace.

The author, John Mackin, runs the independent Liverpool website www.raotl.co.uk, otherwise known as The Rattle.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 11:49:49 pm by The 92A »

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: R.I.P Bobby Wilcox
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 11:32:45 pm »
RIP

YNWA
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do" - Oscar Gamble

Offline Crouchy

• Legacy Fan
  • Vamos!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:37:27 pm »
RIP

YNWA

Offline Kyle Soprano

• Doing his BTEC Sports Science but still knows fuck all
  • Legacy Fan
  • You & I Are Gonna Live Forever
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 12:13:30 am »
Bobby Wilcox why does this name ring a bell

R.I.P YNWA
I only drink on special occasions. Like Fridays and Saturdays. The occasional Sunday. Sometimes even Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Never Thursday. Well, every so often maybe a Thursday.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 01:48:24 am »
Bobby Wilcox why does this name ring a bell

R.I.P YNWA

If you've been a regular at the match, you'll know his face.

Terrible loss.

RIP.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 01:52:49 am »
Name rang a bell and the second I saw his picture, I knew him. A good red.

RIP Bobby.

Offline rednose54

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:03:27 am »
RIP Bobby lad, a true Liverpool Legend, thanks for the help you gave me and many others, sorting out tickets ,travel and accomodation. A lifetimes dedication to the Red cause all over the world, bringing a smile to whoever met you, the world is a sadder place with this news. Thoughts to Sheila and family at this time.
LIVERPOOL FC SHOULD NOT PLAY A GAME OF FOOTBALL ON THE 15TH APRIL.

NOT THIS YEAR OR ANY YEAR.

Offline The Crimson Pirate

• Anny Roader
    • Red All Over The Land
*** Bobby Wilcox - R.I.P. ***
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 09:29:58 am »
Bobby Wilcox, the greatest Liverpool fan I ever knew died yesterday. A friend asked me to post this tribute to the big fella:

Bobby Wilcox passed away last night in the Royal Hospital. He had only very recently been diagnosed with cancer, and his family were with him at the bedside. He was sixty years old.

For those reading this who did not know him you have missed one of the greatest characters that this city has produced. For those that have met him the loss will be deeply felt.

Whether he was sitting in the Globe giving out tickets and stick with equal generosity, or haranguing late-comers in stations, airports or hotels, or belting out such classics as the Johnny Barnes song, he was always brilliant. Perhaps his finest hour was in the airport after Istanbul, as he kept thousands entertained with many a Kop classic, including teaching them the new version of ‘We Won It Five Times.’

He was a very generous man. Like a latter day Shankly, he was always inundated with ticket requests, and always felt badly he if could not come up with the tickets that had been asked for. To this day no-one knows for sure whether the club ticket office phoned him while we were on the train to the European Cup semi-final with Chelsea, and asked him if he had any spares!

At this time I’d ask that your thoughts go out to his wife, Mary, children, Sheila, Lisa, Michael and Colin and his beloved grand-children.

If Bill Shankly was Liverpool’sgreatest manager, and Kenny Dalglish Liverpool’s greatest player, then surely Bobby Wilcox was the club’s greatest supporter.

God bless you Bobby, and thanks for everything. You are, and always will be, a legend.
Commander in the Continuity K.F.S.

http://www.raotl.co.uk

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
Re: *** Bobby Wilcox - R.I.P. ***
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 09:32:24 am »
Bobby Wilcox, the greatest Liverpool fan I ever knew died yesterday. A friend asked me to post this tribute to the big fella:

Bobby Wilcox passed away last night in the Royal Hospital. He had only very recently been diagnosed with cancer, and his family were with him at the bedside. He was sixty years old.

For those reading this who did not know him you have missed one of the greatest characters that this city has produced. For those that have met him the loss will be deeply felt.

Whether he was sitting in the Globe giving out tickets and stick with equal generosity, or haranguing late-comers in stations, airports or hotels, or belting out such classics as the Johnny Barnes song, he was always brilliant. Perhaps his finest hour was in the airport after Istanbul, as he kept thousands entertained with many a Kop classic, including teaching them the new version of ‘We Won It Five Times.’

He was a very generous man. Like a latter day Shankly, he was always inundated with ticket requests, and always felt badly he if could not come up with the tickets that had been asked for. To this day no-one knows for sure whether the club ticket office phoned him while we were on the train to the European Cup semi-final with Chelsea, and asked him if he had any spares!

At this time I’d ask that your thoughts go out to his wife, Mary, children, Sheila, Lisa, Michael and Colin and his beloved grand-children.

If Bill Shankly was Liverpool’sgreatest manager, and Kenny Dalglish Liverpool’s greatest player, then surely Bobby Wilcox was the club’s greatest supporter.

God bless you Bobby, and thanks for everything. You are, and always will be, a legend.

If this true bloody hell didn't even know , great friend not only from watching liverpool but from the liverpool and district sunday league were he was secretary of Britannia and registrar for years when i had my team  will be miss unbelievable .

RIP bobby YNWA
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:35:48 am by mainstandred »

Offline luco16

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 09:33:00 am »
R.I.P Bobby mate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Let's not forget she's just dropped a kid, so she's liable to have a clout like a yawning afghan hound.

Offline Liam_Harker_Memorial_Fund

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 09:39:17 am »
Didnt know the guy but my condolensces go out to the family

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 09:40:47 am »
In the Derry club in 1987 one of the places you could get a bevvy then after the game as no all day drinking then , He made up the " me name is johnny barneses come from Jamaica song "

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 09:57:51 am »
Didn't know him but, by the sounds of it I wish I had.

RIP Bobby Wilcox
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline liverpool_mostar

• Kemlynite
  • free michael now
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 10:04:22 am »
R.I.P. YNWA

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 10:07:52 am »
RIP

Offline Liam_Harker_Memorial_Fund

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 10:17:17 am »
R.I.P fella

once a red always a red

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 10:29:10 am »
Ive known bobby since I was a kid.
Another great red has left us deepest sympathy to Mary, Colin, Michael, Lisa and family.

RIP
YNWA Bobby
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 10:58:21 am »
Didnt know the guy but my condolensces go out to the family
YNWA
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 11:05:46 am »
RIP Bobby YNWA
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 11:14:20 am »
Big mate of our kids from the globe, away days, the lot. The best Red in the world, bar none. I'm so glad i met him meself.

R.I.P. Bobby.

You wont arf be missed Big fella.  Y.N.W.A.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline SteQuinny

• Kemlynite
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 11:44:43 am »
It won’t sink in until we next climb on board the coach, leaving at seven in the morning for a half-five kick off and he’s not there, sitting in his familiar seat at the front, on the phone berating one of the lads who has slept in and is running the risk of missing the trip “Just get to the rocket, we’ll get you there” He’d say.

So many of the lads who have made a life following Liverpool have been able to do so because they have had a football dad like Bobby, as equally critical as he was forgiving from the first day you met him you respected him.

Bobby lived and breathed Liverpool Football Club and it owes him a great debt as do many of us, I don’t think there are many regular supporters who could say they don’t owe some sort of favour to Bobby Wilcox, he’d look after the young tearaway from Scotland Road, on his first away trip as eagerly as he would the 30 year veterans who’d been everywhere and seen everything.

What Liverpool Football Club has lost with his passing is a true anchor to the days where lads from our city, local supporters, were given the opportunity to follow their team all over the world and without that Liverpool loses its soul. I fear that without Bobby so many of the people who rely on him week in week out will struggle and simply give in and stop going. You don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone as they say, any of our crew who were at Stoke last week will no doubt agree.

I’m twenty-five and I’ve been going the match regularly with my Dad since I was three, Bobby has been in my life literally since the day I was born. I can’t at this point imagine what it will be like without him.

As one of Bobby’s closest friends said to me last week, its now up to us to ensure that what Bobby has worked to create over the past forty years isn’t thrown away. Bobby Wilcox’s coach includes lads from north, south, east and west Liverpool, as well as the odd Scandinavian, Cockney or Jock, ages ranging from six to sixty-six, It is unique and it can’t stop, it’s appearance at the away games and his ethos of bringing through the future of Liverpool supporters by simply giving them the chance has to continue. We owe it to him.

No one will sit in your seat Bobby; you’ll be with us everywhere we go.

Ste (Scallops)

Offline PJLFC1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 11:45:00 am »
R.I.P
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon thee.

Offline Gladbach73

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 11:47:18 am »
I am absolutely gutted to hear this. Knew the "Big Man" from away trips in the seventies and eighties, and a more down to earth character you would struggle to meet. Remember with fondness one trip to Brighton, when him, Owen Thompson and Lenny Woods sang the "Deadwood Stage" in a pub outside Brighton station, and shaking their throats in an hysterical way to make it sound even worse - don't ask me why they sang it.

Also loved the story about how Bobby's wife asked him one day "when are you going to grow up?", as he left to go to a match. His answer? " How big do you want me?" - priceless.

So sad that some of the old stalwarts now appear to be departing us. I don't know if it has been registered on the forum, but those of you who knew Bobby would also remember Alan Decker, who sadly was found dead at home last July. Alan was my best man, and another massive Red.

To Bobby's wife Mary, children and grandchildren, my sincere condolences on the loss a truly great Red.
"If Everton were playing in my back garden, I'd close the curtains"

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 11:49:17 am »
R.I.P

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline red_kopite

• Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 11:50:17 am »
RIP Big Man
One Night in MAY!

I come from a land down under

Offline 1969

• Boys Pen
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 11:50:44 am »
R. I. P.

Offline inky2

• Legacy Fan
  • RED FOREVER
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 11:53:17 am »
didnt know him well but remember him from back in the  late 60s. i thought he was older than me but i'm the same age. he was the one face you ALWAYS saw wherever you were

RIP mate
TRACUTHB  *****

Offline Jfoz18

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 11:58:19 am »
R.I.P

Offline wednesday25052005

• Kopite
  • JFT96
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 12:00:49 pm »
RIP Bobby

YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 12:28:45 pm »
Very sad news. I didn't know Bobby personally but I have known about his name and reputation as a massive Red for many, many years; about how he went out of his way to help other supporters whenever and wherever he could. As someone has already said, his was a face you always saw ... home, away and abroad, like up on the stage in that club the night before we played in Bergen in 1997.

My condolences to his family and closest friends. You will miss him most but his extended  LFC family will miss him immensely too.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 12:37:55 pm »
Sad news, to reiterate what has already been said Bobby summed up “the spirit of Wacker” he personified the Scouse Liverpool fan  image we like to celebrate…although I didn’t know Bobby on a close level, at away games he always seemed to be in the pub  I walked into, warbling out a song!... my older mates knew him well and I just conveyed the news to them.

For all you young bucks, this is one of those guys you owe your heritage too.

Not wishing to be disrespectful, it is not all bad news….,  I was talking with my mates yesterday and feeling pretty down about our prospects of the league and I said we need divine influence like in 2005 when we had some  influence upstairs, from Emlyn Hughes , John Peel etc...So I fully expect Big Bobby to Take JC for a pint , teach him words to some songs and have a quiet word!!.

The titles in the bag!

RIP and condolences to his family
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 12:41:40 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 12:50:18 pm »
RIP

YNWA
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 01:11:47 pm »
Sincere condolences to the family and friends, just an thought, but could somebody contact the club and ask for it to be mentioned next Monday evening.

RIP..........YNWA
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 01:23:33 pm »
Condolences to the family and many, many friends.

RIP

YNWA
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online bignred84

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Upper Centenary
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 01:30:42 pm »
Such a shame, Liverpool has lost one of its best fans
will seem strange going to the aways (home & abroad) and no longer seeing Big Bobby about

people who post claiming not to know him, believe me if you have been away you would've seen Bobby somewhere, he went anywhere and everywhere, A true & loyal red

One of my memories of Bobby was after a trip to Kanus
got home and watched the match on telly
the camera pans on Bobby in the crowd singing the Peter Crouch song

He's Big, He's Red
His feet Stick out the Bed
Peter Crouch, Peter Crouch

Priceless

R.I.P.

Sincere condolences to the family
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:33:24 pm by bignred84 »

Offline KTS

• Loves the mods so very much, especially on RAWK
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 01:37:00 pm »
Gobsmacked. Not many fans are instantly recognisable by so many other fans, not many fans are instantly loved by so many other fans, not many fans are instantly respected by so many other fans.

Bobby filled each one and then some. I only met him a few times, I just wished it was more.

RIP big fella.
Has no opinion as it is normally wrong.

Online bignred84

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Upper Centenary
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 01:39:34 pm »
Bearing in mind the amount of people that know Bobby

just a thought

would it be a nice touch for a chant at the Derby

One Bobby Wilcox
there's only one
Bobby Wilcox

imagine Bobby looking down onus

Offline culbs

• Kopite
  • 5 is more than 3
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 01:44:08 pm »
RIP Bobby.

Only been to a few aways what with me living in the Emerald isle, i did have the honour of meeting him in Newcastle a few years ago in the 2004/05 season, he was a character and a Gentleman.
"Liverpool is one of those clubs that any coach always dreams about being able to manage" - Rafael Benitez

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 02:11:39 pm »
Bobby Wilcox, the greatest Liverpool fan I ever knew 

Owed so much by so many who have followed Liverpool over the generations, totally speachless.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:13:26 pm by john_mac »
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline L7 Red

• Kopite
  • Kensington is Red
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 02:39:10 pm »
Shocked to hear the news about Bobby, only knew him by sight meself, my Dad knew him from years ago and i've been on his coach a couple of times, seen him recently at the ticket office.

Very sad news, RIP.
"Oh that's boys own stuff but it's been that sort of night and it's been wonderful too see"