Author Topic: RAWK Round Table LFC 4-1 WHFC  (Read 28990 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
RAWK Round Table LFC 4-1 WHFC
« on: December 7, 2013, 05:54:36 pm »
Haven't seen the match, but interestingly did anyone there think we missed Gerrard when he went off?
Also how were we set up, and is Sterling settling in a little or not? I hope playing alongside Suarez might improve his performance a bit.
How were West Ham? They trouble us occasionally but the scoreline seemed to say not?
Yep.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Round Table LFC 4-1 WHFC
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2013, 07:15:38 pm »
With regards to Sterling, he seemed to play a different game today. Ironically, given his obvious speed and dribbling ability, he was playing a pass-and-move game and it worked wonders. He was very, very good today, and linked up well with Coutinho and Suarez.

The mobility of our attacking game was impressive today, once again fed quickly by Allen, who had his second good game in a row.

This team, with a quality left-back, a settled centre-back partnership, and an upgrade on Lucas in midfield, could really be exciting in the not-too-distant future. What was impressive was that after Gerrard went off, the attacking fluidity remained high and the movement of the front players led to plenty of chances being created.

Once Rodgers moves the non-ball-players on and replaces them with talented players completely comfortable on the ball and technically proficcient in small areas, we could be real contenders.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 8, 2013, 12:24:42 pm »
starting to annoy me the comparisons between Flanagans tackle and Nolans

one was a poor attempt  to get the ball the other was a deliberate stamp on an opponnent

I'm also a bit worried about the illusion of  progress when all of the same errors seem to remain and its the  performance of the opposition or one magical individual which seems to be the major impact on our results rather than our style of play or even application

its good  that there is a fear factor again that some sides expect to get beat but I've still got  a nagging doubt - 2nd in the league, 30 points in the bag seems real enough though

Hopefully the next four games will prove we have a good side, one capable of mixing it with the best in the league rather than flat track bullies

Beat Spurs and it'll help a lot

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 8, 2013, 03:44:08 pm »
Watching the highlights, which of course is no real way to analyse anything, so my comments are based purely on that; it seemed to me that the team are starting to base their attacks on pace and counter attacking, or at least that's when we seem to score most. We don't seem to score as many from patient build up and passing through the box, we score more when we stretch the defenders and cause them confusion, allowing the twisting and turning of Suarez and sweeping in from the rest into the channels to work best.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Yep.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 8, 2013, 06:51:47 pm »
The highlights may not fully illustrate spells in the game when we had then penned back and we could easily have scored from neat open play Hinesy. There was plenty of oooh's and aaah's as we missed chances - Sterling had two, one simply needed him to lift the ball accurately with the outside of his right and it was a cert.

It was probably a better team performance than against Norwich. I personally don't think their spell in the game was because SG went off. We had a nervous moment after they'd scored but we soon regain dominance and gave Fat Sam a bit of the slapping he deserves when he visits us.

Couthino is simply delicious and Mignolet proves his worth week-by-week robustly.

It was great to see Sakho play, he wasn't sternly tested but he was fairly assured, reassuringly with his head once or twice.

Made up for Brendan.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2013, 06:53:44 pm by John Claus »

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5 on: December 8, 2013, 07:08:45 pm »
There was a spell in the second half where we were simply awesome to watch, relentless pressing high up the pitch coupled with incisive passing and movement that they just had no answer for.  That was Death by Football.

We missed Gerrard initially when he went off, we had to readjust a little in midfield with Lucas coming on and it knocked us off our stride but we recovered well and regained our composure.

I think Sterling is showing signs of starting to settle again, there was discipline in his game that he seemed to lose last season and has struggled to recover.  He tracked back well and played his part in our collective efforts to press them high, with a little bit more composure he would have scored as well.  That will come with experience and he is playing for the perfect manager to guide his career.

West Ham had their moments, I thought Downing and Jarvis were decent in the first half.  They created and missed a couple of very good chances but didn't really trouble us for any prolonged spells.  They came for a point but we had too much for them yesterday .

We had a few players who were excellent yesterday, particularly Allen and Sakho who are looking to cement a place in the first eleven.  Suarez and Coutinho are special while Mignolet was superb when he was called upon.

Offline robgreen91

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: December 8, 2013, 07:14:52 pm »
Watching the highlights, which of course is no real way to analyse anything, so my comments are based purely on that; it seemed to me that the team are starting to base their attacks on pace and counter attacking, or at least that's when we seem to score most. We don't seem to score as many from patient build up and passing through the box, we score more when we stretch the defenders and cause them confusion, allowing the twisting and turning of Suarez and sweeping in from the rest into the channels to work best.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I don't think the highlights point out how totally dominant we were at points, we were camped in their half for a good 5-10 minutes before they scored. They could not complete a single pass due to our high pressing (led by Allen).

i also don't think much to the fact Gerrard going off made a difference to our play, i think we were the better team all day and their goal (which came out of nowhere) gave them a second wind, which died off and we continued from where we were.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2013, 07:17:29 pm by robgreen91 »

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #7 on: December 8, 2013, 07:39:31 pm »
My pleasure at the way we performed is tempered by the possibility that maybe West Ham are really, really crap.

But that was our best sustained 90 minutes of the season - we were far more cohesive than against Norwich for example.
Big improvement from Sterling, fair play to Brendan for persevering with him. Moses did better in his short cameo, but frankly it would have been difficult not to be; far from convinced. Really pleased for Joe Allen, I've never lost faith in him and I am certain he can be a player for us. Skrtel was better, but I can't work out whether he's now really cemented a CB spot or B.R is playing the meritocracy card to the nth. degree. If his continued presence means yesterday's paring is the foreseeable future, then Agger will possibly be off in January, which I honestly believe would be a retrograde step.

So I'm disappointed that Agger got benched, and yet more so that Flanagan started; I really think his performances thus far have been ordinary. Norwich's goal was a mistake from Agger, sure, but that aside I love his calmness on the ball and his reading of the game. Still, what do I know.

And I refuse to believe that our skipper's likely absence for a while will be catastrophic. Yes there are things we will miss, but footballers have a good habit of rising to occasions like the one presented, and my gut feeling is that the opportunity presented won't be wasted by Brendan. It will be interesting to see how we set up, and whether Alberto gets a look-in. It will also be interesting to see how Lucas fares in a different midfield, assuming he plays.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

royhendo

« Reply #8 on: December 8, 2013, 07:43:00 pm »
Joe Allen was a treat to watch yesterday, as was Sahko. And I completely agree with Col. We're a window or two away from being a pretty scary side on a consistent basis (whereas now we tend to be, but we can't always assert ourselves).

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2013, 09:49:11 pm »
This seems like as good a place as an any to post this. Amazing stat that shows how far Brendan has taken us in a short time:

Andrew Beasley ‏@BassTunedToRed 1m
#LFC's top scoring league campaign ever was 1963/64, when they scored 2.19 goals per game. In the last 38 league games, they average 2.26.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 8, 2013, 09:54:45 pm »
Actually this game proves again that it´s up to the players only wether we will achieve our goals this season or not. With everyone working their socks off we definitely have roughly the overall quality in terms of how the tactics of Rodgers work together with this group of players in order to win our games against mid-and bottom table teams. But why not against Hull? Why the players still need a kick in the arse, a defeat to remind them on the basic requirements of football is pretty hard to understand, especially as this has been the case over and over again during the last couple of years.

But enough of that, I really do hope the players will go on now putting the same kind of concentration and effort in every single league game which will be crucial in order to make it 4th. Football just doesn´t work any other way, you´re not getting away with anything less, not us, not City, Chelsea, Arsenal or any other top team.

In terms of the line up I reckon Rodgers tried to make up for the absence of Sturridge with playing Allen instead of Lucas and shifting our play a couple of yards further up the pitch, which worked pretty good.

I think Sterling had a great game and Henderson did surprise me with setting him up instead of going for a heads down, rushed shot so maybe this could be a turning point for him in how to deal with these sort of key situations in the final third? Allen, Gerrard, Skrtel and Sakho all looked good with Coutinho and Suarez still our most important players. In contrast, unfortunately Flanagan looked total lost in this game, it´s well and good giving youngsters a chance but frankly he shouldn´t be anywhere near the first eleven in this difficult upcoming fixture list.. both full backs still our weakest link despite Johnson with a better performance compared to the games before. But it couldn´t get any worse anyway, I suppose..

The game against Spurs is probably the most important one so far this season, a win could take the overall confidence within and around the club to the next level which could be important not only for the league but also in terms of our possible signings in january. A win could put us into a very good position and I hope the players are aware that it´s up to them to make it happen. This one is winnable, no doubt. 

« Last Edit: December 9, 2013, 01:18:37 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #11 on: December 8, 2013, 09:55:00 pm »
There was a spell in the second half where we were simply awesome to watch, relentless pressing high up the pitch coupled with incisive passing and movement that they just had no answer for.  That was Death by Football.

We missed Gerrard initially when he went off, we had to readjust a little in midfield with Lucas coming on and it knocked us off our stride but we recovered well and regained our composure.

I think Sterling is showing signs of starting to settle again, there was discipline in his game that he seemed to lose last season and has struggled to recover.  He tracked back well and played his part in our collective efforts to press them high, with a little bit more composure he would have scored as well.  That will come with experience and he is playing for the perfect manager to guide his career.

West Ham had their moments, I thought Downing and Jarvis were decent in the first half.  They created and missed a couple of very good chances but didn't really trouble us for any prolonged spells.  They came for a point but we had too much for them yesterday .

We had a few players who were excellent yesterday, particularly Allen and Sakho who are looking to cement a place in the first eleven.  Suarez and Coutinho are special while Mignolet was superb when he was called upon.

Are you sure about the effect of Gerrard being forced-substituted on our performance?

If anything, we were at our absolute best (although we, curiously, failed to score) between the substitution and their goal. We "battered" them during that period, we didn't surrender possession gratuitously, got it right back by hunting in packs and high pressure when we did surrender it, created goal-scoring chances, etc.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 8, 2013, 09:56:50 pm »
Are you sure about the effect of Gerrard being forced-substituted on our performance?

If anything, we were at our absolute best (although we, curiously, failed to score) between the substitution and their goal. We "battered" them during that period, we didn't surrender possession gratuitously, got it right back by hunting in packs and high pressure when we did surrender it, created goal-scoring chances, etc.
I agree, although I'd say that great spell started before Gerrard was subbed off and continued when Lucas came on. The main thing is that the shift of control to West Ham was all about the goal, and had little to do with Gerrard either way IMO.

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
  • Follow me: @BreakfastPercy
« Reply #13 on: December 8, 2013, 09:58:11 pm »
Sterling's brilliant off the ball. Drops between defense and midfield, pops up on the opposite wing, runs through the middle to break the offside trap. I think it's assumed, because he's fast, that he will be the beat-his-man rinse & repeat type winger. Some of his game is Maxi-esque though, and maybe his pace will just turn out to be a bonus. Works hard too. Thought he was behind Joe Allen for MOTM.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 8, 2013, 09:58:56 pm »
I agree, although I'd say that great spell started before Gerrard was subbed off and continued when Lucas came on. The main thing is that the shift of control to West Ham was all about the goal, and had little to do with Gerrard either way IMO.

Yep. Not having Gerrard was neither a negative nor a positive, in all fairness and honesty.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 8, 2013, 10:02:27 pm »
Sterling's brilliant off the ball. Drops between defense and midfield, pops up on the opposite wing, runs through the middle to break the offside trap. I think it's assumed, because he's fast, that he will be the beat-his-man rinse & repeat type winger. Some of his game is Maxi-esque though, and maybe his pace will just turn out to be a bonus. Works hard too. Thought he was behind Joe Allen for MOTM.
I agree completely. His movement and intelligence off the ball is just incredible for someone his age. He makes those runs in between the fullback and center back, or drops into space between the lines, constantly stretching and worrying the other side. He gets into so many goalscoring positions that way. If he ever becomes a decent finisher--and, if his adjustment at U-21 level is anything to go by, it'll happen--he could be a 1 goal in 3 or 4 kind of winger.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #16 on: December 8, 2013, 10:06:33 pm »
This seems like as good a place as an any to post this. Amazing stat that shows how far Brendan has taken us in a short time:

Andrew Beasley ‏@BassTunedToRed 1m
#LFC's top scoring league campaign ever was 1963/64, when they scored 2.19 goals per game. In the last 38 league games, they average 2.26.

Thats some stat.

Just wanted to say was really pleased with and for Allen yesterday. He gave us a bit of urgency with his passing and showed well for the defenders when they needed an out ball. I just thought when he received it he was quicker to turn , quicker to look up and quicker to play a forward pass then Lucas has been lately. He could make a real difference for us yet this year.

Loved one moment when he was josstling with Diame where the big guy tried to lean across and over to prevent him getting the ball but Allen was so agile he almost ducked under and around him....clever player getting better each game for me.

From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 9, 2013, 12:01:41 am »
I would like one or more of the folks who really understand football to give some analysis of the shots on target and actual chances WHU had against us, including their goal (yes, it was an OG, but it did involve a 12-13 pass move from the time they gained possession to the touch by Skrtel).
« Last Edit: December 9, 2013, 04:08:07 pm by GrkStav »
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #18 on: December 9, 2013, 12:07:46 am »

That was the first time he and Coutinho - the player to best suit his strengths, if his relationship in the ressies with Adorjan is anything to go by - had started together in a competitive game. Their only time on the pitch together before that was when Coutinho came on against Notts County.

It's important to have a depth to attack, especially with Sturridge out. Suarez can have his games, especially away from home, where he falls further and further back trying to get involved. Sterling can keep defences honest about pushing up on us, as long as there's the threat of Coutinho releasing him. That was there yesterday but not against Hull the previous week.

Joe Allen was superb. Gave us a combination of energy and quality combined that has been lacking this season in our midfield. Whether he would have been able to "earn the right" to play like that in a tough away like the ones coming up is the big question we'll soon get answered, although you'd wager he'd not be playing in the same role as he spent most of yesterday.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 9, 2013, 12:10:29 am »
Right from the off, one could tell we were going to win it. Somehow you can tell just by the way the team plays or perhaps it is the will and hunger to win. Against Norwich, we didn't have that, especially in the first half. If not for Suarez's brilliance, it'd be a very different story. The Hull game, we didn't have any of it.

In certain respects, this was a much better team performance than the Norwich game. We created more and there was fluidity in our attack. With Sakho partnering Skrtel, we looked more solid although Flannagan was caught out positionally at times. Allen is starting to show better promise as a decent midfielder who can play at Liverpool. He still gives away the ball sometimes but it's much better from him.

I thought Sterling too benefited from the game time and he's getting better after blitzing the league last season. Hopefully, he's the real thing. Johnson, as usual, was infuriating - lazy at times but what a peach of a cross to Suarez for his goal. It was perfect.

I thought the team would implode after Skrtel's og but the Hammers didn't seize on the opportunity. They didn't have the taste of blood and were duly punished with Suarez's goal(s).

Spurs away will be a big big test. With Gerrard out, we need Allen, Lucas and Hendo (assuming he goes to the centre) to be at their absolute best in the matches leading up to New Year.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 9, 2013, 01:16:22 am »
Loved one moment when he was josstling with Diame where the big guy tried to lean across and over to prevent him getting the ball but Allen was so agile he almost ducked under and around him....clever player getting better each game for me.

Imagine him trying to do that with a bad shoulder and that's half of last season.  Turning and twisting are central to his game.

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 9, 2013, 01:18:34 am »
That was the first time he and Coutinho - the player to best suit his strengths, if his relationship in the ressies with Adorjan is anything to go by - had started together in a competitive game. Their only time on the pitch together before that was when Coutinho came on against Notts County.

I do wonder when we'll have a game where Sterling plays on the left and Coutinho plays centrally, which would suite both players better. Sterling just looks a little lost when he runs at his man from the right side, he tries to cut inside but usually ends up running to the end line and putting a cross in. I'm sure he could adapt if given a few more games there, but for as long as I can remember he's played as an inverted winger on the left side.

Agree with the Joe Allen MOTM shouts. Was absolutely superb bar a few giveaways in the middle of the second half. He may not have as much of an engine as Henderson, but I think his end product is far better.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 9, 2013, 01:41:39 am »
I thought Sterling had an excellent performance. It just showed that when you mix his obvious physical attributes with hard work and clever running, and surround him with players who can distribute effectively (Coutinho, Gerrard, Mignolet on one occasion!) then he can be quite an effective strike weapon. I also thought he looked better on the left than the right. This probably also has to do with Johnson usually being a bit more adventurous while Flanno doesn't offer much when attacking.

I agree that Allen had a good game, but I wasn't entirely impressed. There were a number of very loose passes and occasionally he gave the ball away in very dangerous areas. If that occurs against the top sides, we'll concede goals. Overall, he looked sharp, took up good positions and zipped the ball around the field well but I wouldn't exactly say he had better end product than Henderson. They played completely different roles within the game so I don't think you could compare the two. I think Allen would really struggle out on the left, and we've yet to see Henderson (or Allen for that matter) with an extended run from CM.

Henderson had a good game to compliment the main attacking players. He got forward whenever he could and but for a little more luck with rebounds and passes he may have been in good scoring positions. He also created a good chance for Sterling and had a few other key passes within the game. When Gerrard went off, he sat deeper and played a more controlling role. I think his pressing would be particularly useful centrally but obviously BR doesn't see it.

Flanno has received a lot of praise and deservedly so. He's come in under somewhat surprising circumstances and performed with energy and enthusiasm and bravery, even though he's out of position. He does look a little bit out of his depth at times - getting into bad positions, being muscled off the ball, being a bit rash with his challenges, and just lacking any quality going forward.

The return of Kelly might see us switch Johnson to LB and play Kelly on the right. Kelly has a long way to go to regain match fitness and that explosiveness he showed last year. It's probably a tough ask for him to try to regain form and fitness during our most difficult series of games. I think he should be targeting a start in the Cardiff game which, at home, we should win pretty comfortably.

I don't understand the inclusion of Moses at all. Every time I watch him play, I'm more convinced that I was right to complain about our trying to sign him in the first place. I've never been convinced, and maybe I'm just biased but the last 2 outings have only reinforced my belief that he's simply not good enough and doesn't have the right attitude or abilities to play in that wide attacker role. He looks languid in possession, doesn't seize the game, and gives the ball away so cheaply that it's laughable. Surely, as a player for the future, Alberto needs match time. It makes more sense to bring him on than Moses IMHO.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2013, 01:43:40 am by mrantarctica »

Offline Kersy Aus

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #23 on: December 9, 2013, 02:47:07 am »
What a game that, just a pity we couldnt keep a clean sheet again.
I was thrilled to see Allen do so well, the first two goals came after he won possession and got it forward right away. I had a mate who was moaning about Allen after the Everton game, wanted to sell him ASAP, and even he had to admit Allen bossed it, so I hope he can keep winning over his skeptics.

Sterling on the other hand proved me wrong, he has been one player whose potential I doubted, but he showed he has a lot more than pure speed to offer and was very unlucky not to score on a few occasions. Keep playing as he has and his goal tally will increase (which from the wings is invaluable).

Not good about Gerrard injured, now have to play that tough December period likely without three of our starters, but it is a wonderful opportunity for other players to stake a claim. I hope to see a bit more of Allen and Alberto in the team. Whats best is that without Gerrard on we had our best patch of play, so I'm hopeful we'll do very well without him and he may have to earn the right to rejoin the team if they boss it the way they did without him.
 :)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 9, 2013, 02:55:01 am »
I'm actually really intrigued to see how the Allen/Lucas partnership goes. The biggest loss I think comes from the set peice delivery of Gerrard which has been god like. But in general play i'm not sure we are that much weaker. Certainly it didn't show in the Westham game and interestingly we've had huge posession figures the last two games, is that poor opposition playing at Anfield, Allen and Coutinho's influence or the absense of Sturridge? I'm inclined to say a bit of everything but it'll be interesting to see how we go away against Tottenham in that regard.

I really liked the look of Sterling who provided a huge threat. As someone else mentioned he looks much better from the left but against Tottenham I think Walker is quick enough to handle him so I'd be inclined to play him on the right again using Henderson to keep Walker/Townsend quite and see if Sterling can get the better of Naughton. He was a nightmare for Westham and they had no answer beyond praying he'd miss. Thought he was a much bigger threat than Moses too who as above mentioned has been poor the last few games. Don't want him getting in the way of Sterlings development.

Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 9, 2013, 05:20:04 am »
I would like one or more of the folks who really understand football to give some analysis of the shots on target and actual chances WHU had against us, including their goal (yes, it was an OG, but it didn't involve a 12-13 pass move from the time they gained possession to the touch by Skrtel).
Not trying to be arrogant by answering but I spoke to you privately specifically about the goal & had just seen the question here.

I think it's harsh to say it's Lucas' fault for the own goal, because a fair bit of time elapses between that and the goal. But if we're in the business of apportioning blame than he just about gets the biggest slice.

I'm acutely aware of the idea of 'luck' since Kenny's season in charge: "we're so unlucky to have hit the post so many times". Lo and behold we buy better players and we score more. Was it that our luck that changed? Is it simply that better players are 'luckier' players? We've hit the post the most in the league this year too, but somehow the ball keeps finding its way into the net as well.

Lucas gave away two fouls in the Everton game that were 'unlucky' to result in goals, and it's the same with getting caught in possession for the eventual West Ham goal.

In the scoring of that own goal- I know I laid into Skrtel in the last Round Table and hopefully I'm not being unfair- again I think Skrtel ends up not knowing where he is; his back to play. Similarly to Lucas, has Skrtel been "unlucky" in the fact that it's mostly his mistakes that are punished (usually as an own goal)? Or is it simply that better (or more in-form) players are luckier? I think I'm much closer to the point with Skrtel than I am with Lucas in taking the line that you make your own luck, because I think Lucas is a decent, intelligent player. Skrtel's a brilliant fourth choice centreback for a top four club, but I don't think much more of him than that. Get luckier or play better players?

One thing I'm sure a few people will have noticed is that the header from Maiga that Mignolet saved in the first half was almost identical to the one we conceded against Norwich. One has seen yet more criticism of Agger in the air, the other barely mentioned in the praise for Sakho (who was beaten by Maiga). The common denominator? Glen Johnson.

Johnson's defensive frailty is overplayed. I DO however think that he is slow, almost lackadaisical, to close his winger down when it comes to cutting inside and crossing. I think Flanagan shows similar traits, though that could be because on the occasions he gets close and doesn't get the ball (or completely woodchip his man) the winger he's after tends to moonwalk past him like Flanno's legs are made of Battenberg. That said, if they're both doing it, is it tactical? I know crosses are relatively 'low risk', but maybe we should focus on showing the winger outside.

It's important to have a depth to attack, especially with Sturridge out. Suarez can have his games, especially away from home, where he falls further and further back trying to get involved. Sterling can keep defences honest about pushing up on us, as long as there's the threat of Coutinho releasing him. That was there yesterday but not against Hull the previous week.

Joe Allen was superb. Gave us a combination of energy and quality combined that has been lacking this season in our midfield. Whether he would have been able to "earn the right" to play like that in a tough away like the ones coming up is the big question we'll soon get answered, although you'd wager he'd not be playing in the same role as he spent most of yesterday.

I remember you said last season you expected Coutinho would bring out better in Sterling. He was unlucky to sparkle in the shittest version of our team only to have youth etc catch up with him.

I understand it's everyone's prerogative to not rate a player or judge potential for themselves, but honestly when it comes to Sterling I just think some people need to get a fucking grip. Various things such as "he should be scoring at so-and-so rate by now" and "he HAS to score those chances" just don't ring true for me. His movement, threat and overall game intelligence against West Ham screamed talent. Liverpool need him to score these chances, because we're in a scrap for fourth, but we don't need Raheem to score these chances. People want that to be the case, because then we can neatly put either a tick or a cross next to his name. It just doesn't work like that with young players though. We can add the finishing as we go along, and had we a better squad he'd probably be doing that in the relative shade of a loan club.

Ronaldo joined Utd at the age of 18 for over £12mil. That year his record was 14(14) apps 4 goals 4 assists in the league, and is equivalent to the year Sterling is going through now. Sterling in the league so far? 4(6) apps 1 goal 1 assist.

Ronaldo's next year was 25(8 ) appearances 5 goals 4 assists. The next year he improved again with 9 goals & 6 assists but it wasn't til the year after that, the season where he turned 22, that he smashed the 10 goal mark with 17. For those whose brain is itching the basic point is that Sterling has this season, next season, and the season after where he he doesn't have to score 10 league goals to match Ronaldo

Cup competitions? In those first two years Ronaldo did suplement his record with a few FA Cup goals, but none in the other competitions including a full 7(1) Champions League games in his second season without a goal or assist. In fact in his first 20(3) Champions League appearances Ronaldo provided 1 goal and no assists (the goal came in his third season as well). Sign of a young player? Yep. Like Sterling is? Yep.

Raheem Sterling's total number of shots this season is low, but coincidentally so was 18yr old Ronaldo's. What Ronaldo did manage to do was double his total number of shots from that first season to the second. With Sterling following a similar pace to first year Ronaldo, it seems obvious to me that as much as Sterling can improve his finishing, one of the key things he needs to do-like Ronaldo at the same age- is just get more shots in. That's what it looks like he is now doing, and that's one of the markers by which we can say this kid's broken the plateau he obviously reached last season. Ronaldo wasn't wildly upping his goals per games at Sterling's age, but his game was improving. We know as well as most that progress isn't always reflected in the results, but it is in the process. Improved performances with more attempts on goal, rather than needing that name on the scoreboard, are probably a fair indication at this point.

But that's it: 3 goals and 3 assists from Sterling in another 10 starts and 8 sub appearances and he's matching Cristiano Ronaldo at the same age (and 2 FA Cup goals if you want to be pedantic).

Cristiano Ronaldo also had the benefit that at the age Sterling was last year, he was playing at Sporting where he could avoid burnout, hype and England caps.

I'm not saying he's gonna be as good as Ronaldo, obviously, but why not allow yourself at least a little sliver of that hope and excitement he gave you when he first broke into the team. And he broke into the team at the Kop's demand remember. Forget Ibe or your other shiny new toy for a while.

P.S. please play well next week Raheem
« Last Edit: December 9, 2013, 05:35:39 am by BreakfastPercy »

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 9, 2013, 06:10:01 am »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #27 on: December 9, 2013, 06:32:55 am »

I understand it's everyone's prerogative to not rate a player or judge potential for themselves, but honestly when it comes to Sterling I just think some people need to get a fucking grip. Various things such as "he should be scoring at so-and-so rate by now" and "he HAS to score those chances" just don't ring true for me. His movement, threat and overall game intelligence against West Ham screamed talent. Liverpool need him to score these chances, because we're in a scrap for fourth, but we don't need Raheem to score these chances. People want that to be the case, because then we can neatly put either a tick or a cross next to his name. It just doesn't work like that with young players though. We can add the finishing as we go along, and had we a better squad he'd probably be doing that in the relative shade of a loan club.

Ronaldo joined Utd at the age of 18 for over £12mil. That year his record was 14(14) apps 4 goals 4 assists in the league, and is equivalent to the year Sterling is going through now. Sterling in the league so far? 4(6) apps 1 goal 1 assist.

Ronaldo's next year was 25(8 ) appearances 5 goals 4 assists. The next year he improved again with 9 goals & 6 assists but it wasn't til the year after that, the season where he turned 22, that he smashed the 10 goal mark with 17. For those whose brain is itching the basic point is that Sterling has this season, next season, and the season after where he he doesn't have to score 10 league goals to match Ronaldo

Cup competitions? In those first two years Ronaldo did suplement his record with a few FA Cup goals, but none in the other competitions including a full 7(1) Champions League games in his second season without a goal or assist. In fact in his first 20(3) Champions League appearances Ronaldo provided 1 goal and no assists (the goal came in his third season as well). Sign of a young player? Yep. Like Sterling is? Yep.

Raheem Sterling's total number of shots this season is low, but coincidentally so was 18yr old Ronaldo's. What Ronaldo did manage to do was double his total number of shots from that first season to the second. With Sterling following a similar pace to first year Ronaldo, it seems obvious to me that as much as Sterling can improve his finishing, one of the key things he needs to do-like Ronaldo at the same age- is just get more shots in. That's what it looks like he is now doing, and that's one of the markers by which we can say this kid's broken the plateau he obviously reached last season. Ronaldo wasn't wildly upping his goals per games at Sterling's age, but his game was improving. We know as well as most that progress isn't always reflected in the results, but it is in the process. Improved performances with more attempts on goal, rather than needing that name on the scoreboard, are probably a fair indication at this point.

But that's it: 3 goals and 3 assists from Sterling in another 10 starts and 8 sub appearances and he's matching Cristiano Ronaldo at the same age (and 2 FA Cup goals if you want to be pedantic).

Cristiano Ronaldo also had the benefit that at the age Sterling was last year, he was playing at Sporting where he could avoid burnout, hype and England caps.

I'm not saying he's gonna be as good as Ronaldo, obviously, but why not allow yourself at least a little sliver of that hope and excitement he gave you when he first broke into the team. And he broke into the team at the Kop's demand remember. Forget Ibe or your other shiny new toy for a while.

P.S. please play well next week Raheem

Although the comparisons with Ronaldo at the same age are valid, we also have to remember that at 17, he played 31 first team games for Sporting, and scored 5 goals. That's a rate of 1 in 6. So he already showed a glimpse of his goalscoring talent. Sterling, on the other hand, played 36 games last season, at a year older than Ronaldo, and scored 3 goals in 36 appearances - a rate of 1 goal every 18 games. That's the scoring rate of a fullback. I've no doubt he will improve his scoring rate as he matures, but I'm not too sure he'll become the goalscorer people might want him to be. Looking at the pure football side, he doesn't seem to have the kind of confidence in the box that scorers have - the confidence to take 20 shots knowing only 1 might go in. This is a psychological thing, and all good and great goalscorers have it. It's the willingness to take the gamble, to try the shot that isn't on, and to live with the consequences of failure. Sterling seems to have no confidence that his shot will go into the goal, so he misses a lot of shots that are halfway on, and when the ball does come to him, he lacks conviction. Right now, at 19, his scoring rate is 1 goal in every 12 or 13 games. Ronaldo at the same age had already amassed a rate of 1 in 6, over three seasons. That's a young natural goalscorer. Sterling might score great goals, but I don't think he'll be a consistent goalscorer in his career. Which is a shame, because his runs are quite good off the ball. I actually think he'd be better as an attacking fullback.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 9, 2013, 06:43:27 am »
Being a bit pedantic but Lucas gave away one free kick leading to a goal against Everton. The one on the wing wasn't Lucas, Lucas won the ball cleanly but it was brought back for an infringment a few yards earlier.

As for the Ronaldo comparison to Sterling. It wasn't so much the productivity as much as Ronaldo was technically perfect in nearly all facets of the game. His running and movement patterns, His build, his ability on the ball, passing, dribbling etc all scream world class player in the making.   Sterling is not by a long shot got the potential of Ronaldo.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2013, 06:46:55 am by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #29 on: December 9, 2013, 07:39:17 am »
Being a bit pedantic but Lucas gave away one free kick leading to a goal against Everton. The one on the wing wasn't Lucas, Lucas won the ball cleanly but it was brought back for an infringment a few yards earlier.

As for the Ronaldo comparison to Sterling. It wasn't so much the productivity as much as Ronaldo was technically perfect in nearly all facets of the game. His running and movement patterns, His build, his ability on the ball, passing, dribbling etc all scream world class player in the making.   Sterling is not by a long shot got the potential of Ronaldo.
He's not saying he has the same potential as Ronaldo though. He's saying that he's potential will come forth as we forget about the lad and what he is supposed to be doing at every given moment and just give him time to develop.

It's the age-old problem on RAWK where if you try and draw an analogy with someone- it automagically means that you are saying and thinking that they are on the same level and will reach those heights.

The reason why people use those people in analogies or reference them is because those players are well known and their footballing lives and records are easily referenced or even remembered.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2013, 07:42:06 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 9, 2013, 08:40:52 am »
Although the comparisons with Ronaldo at the same age are valid, we also have to remember that at 17, he played 31 first team games for Sporting, and scored 5 goals. That's a rate of 1 in 6. So he already showed a glimpse of his goalscoring talent. Sterling, on the other hand, played 36 games last season, at a year older than Ronaldo, and scored 3 goals in 36 appearances - a rate of 1 goal every 18 games. That's the scoring rate of a fullback. I've no doubt he will improve his scoring rate as he matures, but I'm not too sure he'll become the goalscorer people might want him to be. Looking at the pure football side, he doesn't seem to have the kind of confidence in the box that scorers have - the confidence to take 20 shots knowing only 1 might go in. This is a psychological thing, and all good and great goalscorers have it. It's the willingness to take the gamble, to try the shot that isn't on, and to live with the consequences of failure. Sterling seems to have no confidence that his shot will go into the goal, so he misses a lot of shots that are halfway on, and when the ball does come to him, he lacks conviction. Right now, at 19, his scoring rate is 1 goal in every 12 or 13 games. Ronaldo at the same age had already amassed a rate of 1 in 6, over three seasons. That's a young natural goalscorer. Sterling might score great goals, but I don't think he'll be a consistent goalscorer in his career. Which is a shame, because his runs are quite good off the ball. I actually think he'd be better as an attacking fullback.
I'm obviously not arguing they will turn out to be similar players, rather showing what probably the best ever in Sterling's position was doing at a similar age. That said I think the way those numbers are presented there skew things a little. Ronaldo scored 5 goals, but (and this is from a little research because there's relatively little information out there, so can't absolutely guarantee it) two of his goals came in the Portugese Cup. Earliest fixture for Sporting I can find (where they also scored) in the Cup that year was the round of 16, they won 1-0 against 2nd Div side C.F. Estrela da Amadora then got knocked out. So his 2 cup goals must have been in the Amador game and 2 before that. I think it's fair to assume the absolute best standard of those fixtures then was Portuguese 2nd division. Obviously we can say well Sterling didn't score against Oldham, but I think if you repeat that fixture to 3x there's a decent chance he'd get 1/2/more goals.

(EDIT: Ronaldo was 5 starts 3 sub appearances before he came off the bench to round off the win against Pompey with a goal and assist. I'd say Sterling's marginally ahead this year! And apart from 3 assists doesn't have to score til 20th March to match Cristiano on goals!)

League-wise we're talking about 3 goals in 25 apps. How many were starts? Don't suppose you have the data? Sterling last year was 19(5) apps 2 goals and 2 assists. He started against City, Utd (x2), Arsenal, Everton, Chelsea, Tottenham in the league.

Obviously I've no bother with your interpretation of Sterling as a goalscorer, but I don't think those particular Ronaldo stats at Sporting suggest he was any further ahead than Sterling. And given Sterling is only a few starts into this season, and at this point could about match the scoring rate of 19yr old Ronaldo with just one or two good games, I'd rather judge him on the other parts of his game. Anyway I don't think we necessarily at odds & I don't see his future in a Ronaldo type role, I just thought Ronaldo was a good example for those who maybe think Sterling's goal-scoring should increase linearly/neatly and that he is way behind a player of his age.

He's not saying he has the same potential as Ronaldo though. He's saying that he's potential will come forth as we forget about the lad and what he is supposed to be doing at every given moment and just give him time to develop.

It's the age-old problem on RAWK where if you try and draw an analogy with someone- it automagically means that you are saying and thinking that they are on the same level and will reach those heights.

The reason why people use those people in analogies or reference them is because those players are well known and their footballing lives and records are easily referenced or even remembered.

I think that's nicer than I'd have been so cheers the_red_pill :)
« Last Edit: December 9, 2013, 08:50:04 am by BreakfastPercy »

Offline Aaron Rattray1

• Almost a new record in rEceiving the pOsting bEfore tHinking aWard. needs to get a shift on.
  • Anny Roader
  • Grimsby town and Liverpool fan
« Reply #31 on: December 9, 2013, 09:00:25 am »
Sterling suarez and coutinho linked up excellently well, they really stretched the opposition, allen again impressed apart from a couple of hairy moments but overall he passed the ball quickly and with precision so good on Allen for that. Johnson looked better, sakho did well too. Skrtel for the own goal was slightly unlucky i thought, some people will say he should have left it but then if he did and their guy put it in skrtel would have been moaned at anyway, its only going to get better too so it looks bright!

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 9, 2013, 09:01:54 am »
I would like one or more of the folks who really understand football to give some analysis of the shots on target and actual chances WHU had against us, including their goal (yes, it was an OG, but it didn't involve a 12-13 pass move from the time they gained possession to the touch by Skrtel).
Skrtel's OG could have been avoided but unfortunately, that's the bad part of his game. What I'm saying is that Skrtel has the tendency of raising his boot to a level deemed dangerous. He's always done this. If he had attacked the ball with his head instead, it wouldn't be an OG. Either that or his boot hits a WHY player and it's a penalty! This is something he has to consciously work on.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #33 on: December 9, 2013, 09:50:16 am »
One thing I really liked about this performance was how we built up pressure before the first goal.  I actually thought West Ham did a good job of frustrating us in the first half and even had their own odd threat.  But from about 30 minutes we started to turn the screw bit by bit until they cracked.  It was the type of goal that would have had us screaming 'Lucky Mancs' a few years back had United scored it.  OG completely avoidable we would have said.  But the goal came through a consistent build up of pressure.  Keeping them pressed back.  Nobody did this better than Coutinho and Joe Allen.  Just keeping the ball in that final third, making them inch back a little a time.

There's a fantastic still which shows where Allen wins the ball for the first goal.  There are 6 Liverpool players within 30 yards of the WH goal.  Even more impressive, all 10 outfield WH players are in the shot.  That's how much we had pinned them back.  For me, this points more to a team effort rather than the talent of an individual or set piece.  It was really good to see.

Online RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 9, 2013, 09:54:34 am »
Haven't seen the match, but interestingly did anyone there think we missed Gerrard when he went off?

I would say it was like anytime a new player comes in for such an influential player of Gerrard's status, it took a bit of time to adapt, however there wasn't a major impact. It would have been one of those things where pundits and commentators would have played off the fact that had we conceded moments after he went off, then they would have gone on about it probably up until now. Whether we will miss him, of course we will because well its Gerrard and his range of passing is of top quality. However we should be able to cope and in a way it gives him time to rest and come back even stronger when he's fit from this latest scare. In a way it forces us to try new options in CM now and espeicially if the injury is worse then anticipated.

Also how were we set up, and is Sterling settling in a little or not? I hope playing alongside Suarez might improve his performance a bit.

Sterling was fantastic on Saturday, his pace was very noticable against their defence and it was nice to see that it actually caused the defence a real worry. Especially the run where i believe it was Mccartney he had a 3 - 4 yard head start but still managed to over take him, hold him off and get off a shot. The thing he needs to do now is to use that performance and build on it, and not let the credit get to him. If he can do that then i think he can kick start again. At the end of the day, if he plays like that, he will provide us with a different option for our attack, pure pace. Whether he can demostrate that against a different type of defence remains to be seen but thats part of using a squad to the best of its ability. Use it for teams that are slow at the back etc... Playing alongside Suarez, it should help him, it should help any player really.

How were West Ham? They trouble us occasionally but the scoreline seemed to say not?

The first half they were very solid, a lot better proposition then Norwich and their main tactic was as soon as Suarez was on the ball, they would surround him with 3+ players to try and close him down and keep him quiet, which worked very well up until the goal. After that they had to adapt, and although they were very threatening on the attack, they lacked that quality to put away chances which if they had taken a couple of their chances, they would have solidified their hold on it. The real scoreline was 2 - 1 to us really though up until their skipper had a moment of madness and decided he fancied an early bath, and after that they fell apart.

Special mention to Joe Allen who i thought had a fantastic game. He made a bad pass here or there but overall he gave a really good performance and deserves a pat on the back for it. All these games will give him a huge boost in confidence.

A shame about us conceding our goal like we did, but something to strieve to improve on. Our defence was good, however there was almost a carbon copy of the goal we conceded against Norwich in the first half here were their main striker got a yard ahead of Sakho and almost scored. It's something that needs to be worked on, the defence unit needs a kick up the arse and to be a lot more ruthless in their defending of all aspects, set pieces, blocking crosses into the box and generally dominating the 18 yard box both aerially and on the ground.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 9, 2013, 10:03:42 am »
I'm seriously wondering why Skrtel is getting so much stick and examination for trying to intercept a ball 2 yards out and heading directly towards a WH striker. I'm sorry but as far as I'm concerned he did relatively well to position himself directly in line with the WH player and where the ball came from.

I don't understand why Johnson who IMO was the biggest contributor to the goal (along with Lucas - yeah I know we had time to defend better)  appears to be getting off pretty much unscathed. Is it because he's not the usual scapegoat? Or is it becaus epeople on here just tend to accept/go along with the apinion that "he adds so much more attacking wise that we can forgive him being defensively pretty much inept".  If so then I think you;ll find Skrtels been much more active from an attacking point for us this season.

I like Johnson, and I'm prepared to forgive some of his defensive shortcomings because of what he adds to us attacking wise (albeit thats been pretty poor lately), but just to ignore his deficiencies when they lead directly to us conceding, and attack the player who tried to rescue the situation smacks of serious scapegoating.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 9, 2013, 10:11:33 am »

Statistics dont always paint the whole picture. But it's good to see him matching Ronaldo at an early stage. Sterling could've had a hat trick from clear cut chances.

The Maiga chance came from us giving the ball away sloppily, then no pressure on Jarvis. Skrtel should've had that as he was defending the near post and didn't have any striker on him. Sure, Sakho was the wrong side and slow to react but Skrtel is just as culpable there.

The own goal, well again look at Johnson's positioning and failure to really pressure their player on the left who had all the time in the world to head back across goal. Skrtel could've gone for a header but it would've been risky and he didn't have much time to react. By the same token Sketel went in feet first and arguably made it impossible for Collins to prevent our 2nd goal. Swings and roundabouts.

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 9, 2013, 10:32:49 am »

Now I may well be off the mark here, but sterling has always been a goal scorer hasn't he? I mean his first team stats would suggest that he is perhaps a bit shy in front of goal thus far, but his youth and reserve records suggest that he is one of the main goal threats from what I can remember.

Pop I have always had him as an attacker, and I hear what you are saying about not perhaps being a natural. I love the notion of being able to live with missing but this is the kid who scored 5 against South end in the youth cup a few years back. Genuine question, is that not a better indication of his actual nature than the cameo appearances in the first team would be?

I think Ronaldo is a freak to some extent, but i'll hang onto BP assertion that Ronaldo wasn't tearing up trees at this stage of his career either. I think Raheem can grow into the goal scorers role as he matures (or I hope).

Does your record as a youth player goal wise mean little or nothing when it comes to top flight football?

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 9, 2013, 10:35:41 am »

one was a poor attempt  to get the ball the other was a deliberate stamp on an opponnent

Well, going by the rules of the game, intent is irrelevant for any offence except handball. I agree that Flanagan was clumsy, but that doesn't make his foul any better. I think he was lucky.

I have to say that West Ham (and Norwich, and Fulham, and WBA) were quite crap, but I have seen plenty of crap teams get a result at Anfield so I take my hat of to the team for crushing them all.
Xerxes MBE

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 9, 2013, 10:36:12 am »

that was a super spell of football, think Gerrard was off at that time too?