Author Topic: Jordan Henderson-Officially a Liverpool player- Discussion  (Read 267482 times)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jordan Henderson-Officially a Liverpool player- Discussion
« Reply #1560 on: June 26, 2011, 08:32:45 am »
I'm sorry but this wasn't always the case, he received the ball deep on quite a few occasions but seemed unable to be the linch pin between the midfield and the forwards, Lansbury was much better at doing what Henderson was given the responsibility of doing when he came on.

England tried to play the ball from the back but had no invention in the middle of the park so it tended to go from cb to midfielder straight back to the cb's and then a long ball up top, after a while the CB's stopped playing the ball to the midfielders and just went direct.

These performances aren't the be all and end all but there's no point trying to gloss over what was a poor performance.

I'm not glossing over anything. Firstly, it's England, so his performances for them wouldn't necessarily correlate with those for us. Secodnly, you're sayinghe was unable to be the 'lynchpin' for them but that's not really his strength anyway as I understand it. He was the deepest midfielder, virtually on the CB's toes on some occasions and was forced to try and control the game as no one else was in a position to do so. Lansbury usually came on in the latter stages of the game when England were more desparate to score and was much higher up the pitch than Henderson was.

Pearce's tactics were clearly to try and hit it long regularly, they did from the first minute of their games - it was as clear as day.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline soberphobia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1561 on: June 26, 2011, 11:18:07 am »
I'm sorry but this wasn't always the case, he received the ball deep on quite a few occasions but seemed unable to be the linch pin between the midfield and the forwards, Lansbury was much better at doing what Henderson was given the responsibility of doing when he came on.

England tried to play the ball from the back but had no invention in the middle of the park so it tended to go from cb to midfielder straight back to the cb's and then a long ball up top, after a while the CB's stopped playing the ball to the midfielders and just went direct.

These performances aren't the be all and end all but there's no point trying to gloss over what was a poor performance.

I will acknowledge Henderson was pretty shit in the U/21s. So what? Firstly his form trailed away toward the second half of the year anyway after having too much responsibility for a 19 y/o thrust on him so its no real surprise. Secondly we didn't buy him to play for England. As the lad hasn't even had a training session with us yet let alone a friendly or an actual match that means something i really don't give a flying fuck.
Playing devils advocate here what would it mean if he was the player of the tournament won the golden boot and nutmegged four spaniards before lobbing an oncoming defender doing a reverse scissor kick and landing it in the top corner? It would mean the same as him playing poorly............. Nothing. Lets support the lad and see how he goes for liverpool and leave it at that.
24 hours in a day 24 cans in a carton coincidence?

Offline brenny78

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1562 on: June 27, 2011, 08:04:16 am »
I was well impressed this this signing! but did anyone see him play for the under 21's, he was rather gash! and not worth the money we paid for him!!

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #1563 on: June 27, 2011, 08:05:15 am »
I was well impressed this this signing! but did anyone see him play for the under 21's, he was rather gash! and not worth the money we paid for him!!

You can't be serious.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1564 on: June 27, 2011, 08:12:29 am »

Should we sell Gerrard then?

Is he bought into play for Liverpool or England U-21?

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #1565 on: June 27, 2011, 08:13:35 am »
Any comments one way or another on his ability until he has played at least half and ideally a full season under LFC management will be premature.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1566 on: June 27, 2011, 09:36:08 am »
No, you're right, he isn't a £20million player. He's a £16million player. How is it a gamble, exactly?
Every signing is a gamble, not just for financial reasons but for strategic reasons. Joe Cole is a fine example. A skilful player that took us know where and we wasted a year hoping.
Modric is a better player than Henderson currently, but imo the likelihood is that in 2 years time Henderson is more likely to be controlling a game than Modric. That's just an opinion, the risk and the gamble remain.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1567 on: June 27, 2011, 09:42:32 am »
Very insightful first post, already looking forward to your next installment...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:46:59 am by Carlito Roberto »

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1568 on: June 27, 2011, 09:47:47 am »
Every signing is a gamble, not just for financial reasons but for strategic reasons. Joe Cole is a fine example. A skilful player that took us know where and we wasted a year hoping.
Modric is a better player than Henderson currently, but imo the likelihood is that in 2 years time Henderson is more likely to be controlling a game than Modric. That's just an opinion, the risk and the gamble remain.

I agree, but we're using gamble in a different sense to the doomed "the future of the club depends on this" gamble some appear to be thinking.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1569 on: June 27, 2011, 09:48:31 am »

You're from Stoke, I see.

I imagine your negative outlook on life has nothing to do with that.

Honestly.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #1570 on: June 27, 2011, 09:55:09 am »
Haven't checked this thread in about a week or so, but it's highly amusing how some of you are STILL at it.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1571 on: June 27, 2011, 10:04:36 am »
Haven't checked this thread in about a week or so, but it's highly amusing how some of you are STILL at it.

lol - ditto.  I'd blocked this thread from my memory for a few days, but here it is again!

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to or dreading the "Stewart Downing-Officially a Liverpool player - Discussion" thread.  That one will be interesting

;)

Offline Dash Snow

• the ing through a horse in open one sleigh
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1572 on: June 27, 2011, 10:22:07 am »
People here would complain if we signed Messi.

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1573 on: June 27, 2011, 10:23:05 am »
I'm glad he was shit for England, he wont get injured on international duty if he's not picked.

He's a down to earth hard working lad whos got obvious talent, everyone needs to stop whining about the siigning, I can't wait to see him play!
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1574 on: June 27, 2011, 12:01:47 pm »
I agree, but we're using gamble in a different sense to the doomed "the future of the club depends on this" gamble some appear to be thinking.
If anyone thinks the club is doomed now then their head must be in a really bad place mate.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1575 on: June 27, 2011, 12:13:11 pm »
If anyone thinks the club is doomed now then their head must be in a really bad place mate.

Need to read this forum a bit more.*

*Actually, don't.

Offline 4-2-3-1

• dyscalculic
  • Kopite
« Reply #1576 on: June 27, 2011, 12:15:14 pm »
You're from Stoke, I see.

I imagine your negative outlook on life has nothing to do with that.

Honestly.

Tit.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1577 on: June 27, 2011, 12:17:27 pm »
Tit.

Witty and constructive. Well done.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1578 on: June 27, 2011, 12:19:02 pm »
Any comments one way or another on his ability until he has played at least half and ideally a full season under LFC management will be premature.

I'd say two seasons given his age and the position he is working into.

Gerrard should be a perfect role model for him - apparantly Gerrard is excellent in training and bringing youngsters though. With Kenny in charge and the right array of people mentoring then this could be an exceptional signing.

The thing we have most on our side is given his youth for that position, 2 years really is easily available for him to bed in.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #1579 on: June 27, 2011, 12:19:19 pm »

They are neurotic.

I have to say though that this neurosis has probably been intensified by our performances on the pitch and in the transfer windows the last few seasons. I just finished re-reading 'Epic Swindle' and its actually startling that we're not in a River Plate situation now, it could have happened.

But the new neurotics 'have a right' to be angry and dissapointed and outraged if we don't sign Pablo Colombia Madrigal NOW.......blah blah blah

Amnesty International and Shami Chakrabati are on the case.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1580 on: June 27, 2011, 12:20:34 pm »

And your evidence for this laughable assertion is..?

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline 4-2-3-1

• dyscalculic
  • Kopite
« Reply #1581 on: June 27, 2011, 12:26:21 pm »
Witty and constructive. Well done.

Almost as much as your reply to the poster from Stoke.

Offline JasbinderX

• Rashid? Is that you Rashid? Doesn't understand football
  • Kopite
« Reply #1582 on: June 27, 2011, 12:26:32 pm »
Few things this lad needs instilling into him ...

1) Don't be afraid of a pass. Don't be afraid of misplacing a pass and having the crowd on your back.
2) Don't hide. Don't go stand next to the oppositon player so you can't recieve a pass. Always make yourself available.
3) Demand that bloody ball. Don't stand there silently, scream your head off to get that ball, and if you don't get it, let them know your anger.

If he can works on these defects in his game he'll be a decent player. Having seen him for Sunderland last season, these were his huge faults. Only confirmed watching him in the U21's.

The fee paid for him, while ridiculous, isn't his fault.

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #1583 on: June 27, 2011, 12:33:11 pm »
Has'nt this been locked yet?

Im dreading the first game of the season on here if we dont win and our new signings dont play a blinder its going to be mayhem.

Give the lad a fucking break , its embarrasing since the lad has'nt even trained with us yet.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1584 on: June 27, 2011, 12:34:32 pm »

1) Don't be afraid of a pass. Don't be afraid of misplacing a pass and having the crowd on your back.
2) Don't hide. Don't go stand next to the oppositon player so you can't recieve a pass. Always make yourself available.
3) Demand that bloody ball. Don't stand there silently, scream your head off to get that ball, and if you don't get it, let them know your anger.

If he can works on these defects in his game he'll be a decent player. Having seen him for Sunderland last season, these were his huge faults. Only confirmed watching him in the U21's.

As you say you've seen him for Sunderland, was he any good when (if) played deeper in midfield / the holding role? Was he good at making interceptions, how good is his heading ability etc.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1585 on: June 27, 2011, 12:36:14 pm »
Has'nt this been locked yet?
I'm not being funny mate, but why log in to a football discussion forum if you want to see threads about players locked?

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1586 on: June 27, 2011, 12:36:25 pm »
Almost as much as your reply to the poster from Stoke.

You're a hero.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #1587 on: June 27, 2011, 12:36:33 pm »

How much was the fee mate ?
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #1588 on: June 27, 2011, 12:38:11 pm »
How much was the fee mate ?

He's donated it to the fund to build a marble bust of Lucas.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #1589 on: June 27, 2011, 12:41:16 pm »
He's donated it to the fund to build a marble bust of Lucas.

Take it he's a Lucas lover then. . .
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1590 on: June 27, 2011, 12:41:20 pm »

A lot of that is very similar to what seemed to have been instilled into Spearing to bring about his improvements, and to a lesser extent Lucas (I believe even you have acknowledged he's improved!). If he's got the technical attributes, the mental ones can soon be taught and hoepfully we'll have a really good player on our hands.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:54:46 pm by joezydudek »

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1591 on: June 27, 2011, 12:42:09 pm »
I'm not being funny mate, but why log in to a football discussion forum if you want to see threads about players locked?

Because its desended into SOME writing off the lad because of either his fee and/or his displays for the Under-21's completely and its utterly unfair on him.

Since when has a few under-21's been anything substantial to judge a player on but yet some are using those to say he is'nt worth it and he is'nt good enough.We judge players in a Red shirt , some after half a season , some after a whole season , even longer in the case of a 20 year-old.

Like ive said , if the judging of Henderson has already started , all of our new signings need to start fantastically well otherwise they are going to be questioned after 1 or 2 games , and God forbid our manager.Lets wait and see , radical to some i know.

Offline Qcase1977

• Kopite
« Reply #1592 on: June 27, 2011, 12:55:29 pm »
Is it to write off the lad because of his performances over the last 2 years? Is that ok? Forget about the fee. He is pretty crap whatever way you look at it. Sure no worries lets just get rid of Raul and bring in that fat Scot and Henderson. Sure if Kenny thinks its ok then lets all blindly believe. Until it all goes wrong and we all blame Comolli.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1593 on: June 27, 2011, 12:58:10 pm »

He cuts inside on his left foot too much
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1594 on: June 27, 2011, 12:58:51 pm »
Is it to write off the lad because of his performances over the last 2 years? Is that ok? Forget about the fee. He is pretty crap whatever way you look at it. Sure no worries lets just get rid of Raul and bring in that fat Scot and Henderson. Sure if Kenny thinks its ok then lets all blindly believe. Until it all goes wrong and we all blame Comolli.

Its posts like this that absolutley baffle me.

We are entering a new , exciting era with us now competing for good players but yet here we are , writing off one new signing and calling another a ''fat Scot''.How about SUPPORTING the club and be hopeful that the people in charge are getting it right? Too much to ask for some clearly.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1595 on: June 27, 2011, 01:01:40 pm »
Its posts like this that absolutley baffle me.

We are entering a new , exciting era with us now competing for good players but yet here we are , writing off one new signing and calling another a ''fat Scot''.How about SUPPORTING the club and be hopeful that the people in charge are getting it right? Too much to ask for some clearly.

I wouldn't bother, the guy's clearly an impatient muppet, he'll be gone after a week or so of whinging no doubt.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1596 on: June 27, 2011, 01:03:11 pm »

He's 20 years old & he's had one full season in the premiership. By your logic we should be moving Gerrard along, after all he's been pretty shit for the past couple of seasons aswell bar a handful of performances! As for the fat scot, really? Get a grip you fucking tool, atleast he actually performed relatively regularly last season unlike Raul isheonthepitch Meireles (& I like the guy!)
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Qcase1977

• Kopite
« Reply #1597 on: June 27, 2011, 01:03:57 pm »
too much to ask when I think the players we are interested in are not good enough. If we go to sign anyone do you just jump up and down and not criticize? Thats what baffles me mate. Forums are about constructive criticism not maddening blind loyality

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1598 on: June 27, 2011, 01:06:39 pm »
too much to ask when I think the players we are interested in are not good enough. If we go to sign anyone do you just jump up and down and not criticize? Thats what baffles me mate. Forums are about constructive criticism not maddening blind loyality

How can it be blind loyalty when a) one signing has'nt played for us and b) the ''fat Scot' as you refer him to has'nt even signed yet?

If the 2 players are shite 1 or 2 seasons down the line then fine , but this early? Come off it.

YOU think the players are not good enough , forgive me if i would rather watch them play for us first.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1599 on: June 27, 2011, 01:07:20 pm »
Because its desended into SOME writing off the lad because of either his fee and/or his displays for the Under-21's completely and its utterly unfair on him.

Since when has a few under-21's been anything substantial to judge a player on but yet some are using those to say he is'nt worth it and he is'nt good enough.We judge players in a Red shirt , some after half a season , some after a whole season , even longer in the case of a 20 year-old.

Like ive said , if the judging of Henderson has already started , all of our new signings need to start fantastically well otherwise they are going to be questioned after 1 or 2 games , and God forbid our manager.Lets wait and see , radical to some i know.

It's just SO Unfair.