Author Topic: Cheltenham 2017  (Read 1427 times)

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Cheltenham 2017
« on: February 21, 2017, 12:59:55 pm »
Some amount of top quality horses going to miss the festival. Thistlecrack just been ruled out.  :'(

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Re: Cheltenham 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 10:13:45 pm »
Some amount of top quality horses going to miss the festival. Thistlecrack just been ruled out.  :'(

Absolutely crazy, Gold Cup and Champion Hurdle look like any old grade 1 at any big meeting now unfortunately. The only positive is we might have one or two new racing superstars after the week.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:31:39 pm »
Absolutely crazy, Gold Cup and Champion Hurdle look like any old grade 1 at any big meeting now unfortunately. The only positive is we might have one or two new racing superstars after the week.

Champion Hurdle certainly looks fairly weak this year. I think Mullins and Wylie should consider running Yorkhill.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 10:42:36 pm »
Champion Hurdle certainly looks fairly weak this year. I think Mullins and Wylie should consider running Yorkhill.

Yeah he hasn't looked convincing over fences at all and you'd think his jumping would be his downfall around Cheltenham.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 10:45:54 pm »
Yeah he hasn't looked convincing over fences at all and you'd think his jumping would be his downfall around Cheltenham.

I haven't seen his runs over fences but I just think he'd have an outstanding chance of winning the CH this year.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 10:58:45 pm »
I haven't seen his runs over fences but I just think he'd have an outstanding chance of winning the CH this year.

He would indeed, he has been pretty poor over fences and there was murmurings a few weeks back that they would target the Champion Hurdle but they seemed to have died down now. It's mind boggling really that they seem intent on keeping with the larger obstacles.

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 12:06:16 am »
I looked at the ante-post Gold Cup market as soon as Thistlecrack was withdrawn. Djakadam was 7.2 on Betfair, with the two other Tizzard runners first and second in the market.

It's an open race, but I've had a bet on Djakadam at that price, which I think is good value.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 12:07:52 am »
He would indeed, he has been pretty poor over fences and there was murmurings a few weeks back that they would target the Champion Hurdle but they seemed to have died down now. It's mind boggling really that they seem intent on keeping with the larger obstacles.

Think Yorkhill wins what is probably a weak JLT myself. Don't think he'd win a CH. Last two runs over hurdles were shite. Buveur D'air is a monster in my opinion. Wouldn't surprise me if Yanworth reversed the form over hurdles either.
Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 12:27:37 am »
Think Yorkhill wins what is probably a weak JLT myself. Don't think he'd win a CH. Last two runs over hurdles were shite. Buveur D'air is a monster in my opinion. Wouldn't surprise me if Yanworth reversed the form over hurdles either.

Yanworth looked fairly shite last weekend though and he wasn't any more convincing the time before. Buveur D'air has really lucked out by being bought by JP and turned away from what looked like a poor attempt to go over the larger obstacles. I agree it is his to lose though.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 07:17:17 am »
Looking forward to it but gutted Thistlecrack won't be running, fancy Native River to win the Gold Cup now, stays forever and jumps well.

Haven't checked ante-post too much as it's hard to say who is running in what, like the look of Might Bite and hopefully Altior can show how good he is.

Fancy Yanworth for the Champion Hurdle,  should be suited by a strong pace.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:30:22 am by Bullet Riddled Alfredo »
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 09:21:51 am »
Yanworth looked fairly shite last weekend though and he wasn't any more convincing the time before. Buveur D'air has really lucked out by being bought by JP and turned away from what looked like a poor attempt to go over the larger obstacles. I agree it is his to lose though.

Mad opinion for me that. The novice hurdle over c&d on the card was 10 seconds slower. He's beaten a very good handicapper by a length with plenty in hand over a track that probably won't suit. That Cheltenham hill at the end of a fast paced 2 miles is made for him.
Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Online y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 04:02:52 pm »
Yorkhill hasn't done much wrong over fences either.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 06:45:33 pm »
Mad opinion for me that. The novice hurdle over c&d on the card was 10 seconds slower. He's beaten a very good handicapper by a length with plenty in hand over a track that probably won't suit. That Cheltenham hill at the end of a fast paced 2 miles is made for him.

Shite might have have been a bit much but he didn't look like a horse with a good chance in the Champion Hurdle to me? It's all opinions at the end of the day and mine are usually shite  ;D

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 06:46:02 pm »
Yorkhill hasn't done much wrong over fences either.

He hasn't done much wrong but he hasn't looked like a superstar either. His jumping has been lacking on a few occasions.

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 04:29:55 pm »
I'm hoping a horse called Staker Wallace runs in the Foxhunters. It's owned and trained by JP McManus and Enda Bolger, same as the fav On the Fringe. But he's half the age. I'm on at big prices, but only with NRNB.