Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 303113 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2016, 08:57:33 am »
unreal shot that from McIlroy
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2016, 09:17:43 am »
unreal shot that from McIlroy

Just saw it this morning, decent little approach! Wentworth next week,  are the same big names playing there too?

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2016, 09:26:23 am »
Just saw it this morning, decent little approach! Wentworth next week,  are the same big names playing there too?

Not many big names playing at Wentworth. http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2016/tournamentid=2016040/teetimes/index.html

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2016, 09:31:45 am »
i see it in Gerry's post there

the shot reminded me of the one Harrington played into 17 i think it was for the British Open in 2008.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2016, 09:38:37 am »
Mcilroy was sensational when it came to
It but whilst he was under little pressure he made a few mistakes.

Just shows though, when he's on it and on full attack mode he is sensational

Shane he's having a week off now I believe. Southgate played well under pressure too. Looks like he could be a decent e/w bet in weeks to come

Offline timbucktoo

• Dreams of a threesome with Oprah Winfrey or Whoopie Goldberg
  • Kopite
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2016, 01:08:01 pm »
anyone been to wentworth?
going this weekend and no idea about best vantage points?

cheers

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 4, 2016, 12:13:30 am »
Nike have just announced they will stop making golf equipment; clubs, balls bags.

http://news.nike.com/news/nike-focuses-golf-innovation-on-footwear-and-apparel-transitions-out-of-equipment?cp=EUNS_AFF_WG_GB_54264

It'll be interesting to see where McIlroy goes from here. Got a feeling his next clubs will be from the new kids on the block, PXG.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 4, 2016, 08:53:31 am »
arent they paying him 25m a year?

wonder what his next deal will be

was just thinking i dont see much of this gear around anymore http://www.maxfli.com/

they used to be huge did they not?

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: August 4, 2016, 09:08:32 am »
arent they paying him 25m a year?

wonder what his next deal will be

was just thinking i dont see much of this gear around anymore http://www.maxfli.com/

they used to be huge did they not?

McIlroy supposedly signed a 10 year deal with Nike in 2013 worth around £15m ($25m) a year. They're continuing to make golf apparel and footwear so he'll probably still wear their gear and just use different clubs but whether or not he gets his £15m a year just for that is another matter.

Maxfli was owned by Taylormade and then was bought over by Dicks Sporting Goods, the american sports retailer. They must have done the same as what Mike Ashley did to the likes of Dunlop and Slazenger. 

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 4, 2016, 09:28:15 am »
McIlroy supposedly signed a 10 year deal with Nike in 2013 worth around £15m ($25m) a year. They're continuing to make golf apparel and footwear so he'll probably still wear their gear and just use different clubs but whether or not he gets his £15m a year just for that is another matter.

Maxfli was owned by Taylormade and then was bought over by Dicks Sporting Goods, the american sports retailer. They must have done the same as what Mike Ashley did to the likes of Dunlop and Slazenger. 
ah right

good info thanks

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: August 5, 2016, 03:47:59 am »
Story doing the rounds at the pga that Rory was checking out the new Scotty Cameron.

Wouldn't be surprised if he went back to titleist or maybe even taylormade equipment

Nike equipment is fucking tripe

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 5, 2016, 08:45:48 am »
Story doing the rounds at the pga that Rory was checking out the new Scotty Cameron.

Wouldn't be surprised if he went back to titleist or maybe even taylormade equipment

Nike equipment is fucking tripe

I can't see him going to Taylormade if he's still gonna be wearing Nike clothing, unless adidas sell TM very soon. A lot of it is going to depend on what his contract with Nike says and how the legal people sort that out.

I think regardless of where he goes its very likely he'll be using a scotty cameron putter.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 5, 2016, 02:19:38 pm »
I can't see him going to Taylormade if he's still gonna be wearing Nike clothing, unless adidas sell TM very soon. A lot of it is going to depend on what his contract with Nike says and how the legal people sort that out.

I think regardless of where he goes its very likely he'll be using a scotty cameron putter.

I think you could be right. Going back to Titleist is a big slap in the face and TM is owned by adidas

Scotty, definitely

In fact, 2002 PGA champion Rich Beem believes McIlroy -- who was nearly DFL in SG: putting before missing the cut at last week's PGA -- had his eye on a new putter during the season’s final major at Baltusrol.

"His locker was right across from mine during the week and he came in on one of the days," Beem told NewsTalk. com on Tuesday. "He’d just gotten a brand new Scotty Cameron putter, which looked exactly like the one he won with at the U.S. Open in Congressional and I said, 'can I see it?' I said, 'man, that thing is pretty' and he goes 'yeah, isn't it?’

"I could see this gleam in his eye, like he really wanted to take it out and hit it on the putting green and yet I don't think he did because of contractual obligations," Beem added. "But you kind of feel bad for the guy that's locked in to a contract with a manufacturer. It doesn't feel like he can go out and really play with a golf club that he really wants to play with — even looking at a different putter for a change can certainly change your attitude, thinking and feel.

"Something's got to give," said Beem, "because he is too good of a ball-striker from tee to green to go out there and struggle so mightily on those greens."

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #93 on: August 5, 2016, 02:37:48 pm »
I have seen the sale prices on Nike stuff in the US and the price drops are unbelievable, I'd deffo be interested in getting some Nike Equipment.

Where in the UK/Online does this level of sales or is this just a case of Americans being American?

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 5, 2016, 02:44:26 pm »
I have seen the sale prices on Nike stuff in the US and the price drops are unbelievable, I'd deffo be interested in getting some Nike Equipment.

Where in the UK/Online does this level of sales or is this just a case of Americans being American?

The drivers are rancid, same with the fairway woods
Some of the irons are ok. Can't remember ever seeing anyone play with them, barring one fucking tool who was kitted out top to toe in tiger gear and his bag clubs etc were all Nike. Teed up on the first and topped it 30ysrds, very tiger like

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #95 on: August 7, 2016, 06:27:18 pm »
Jim Furyk becomes only the second man to shoot lower than 59 on the US Tour, Kim Jong Un of North Korea was of course the first man to do it.

58 from Furyk today, a tidy -12.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: August 7, 2016, 06:44:48 pm »
Jim Furyk becomes only the second man to shoot lower than 59 on the US Tour, Kim Jong Un of North Korea was of course the first man to do it.

58 from Furyk today, a tidy -12.

Bloody hell, where was that, a crazy golf course?
« Last Edit: August 7, 2016, 06:48:47 pm by Crouch Potato »

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #97 on: August 8, 2016, 12:01:52 am »
Unbelievable from Jim, absolutely mental scoring.

Great win for Russell Knox too, clutch putt to win on the last too. Should really be in that Ryder Cup team but really don't think Clarke will bring him.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: August 8, 2016, 10:47:31 am »
incredible from Furyk,

ive had rounds where i done worse than that in 9 holes

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: August 8, 2016, 01:21:16 pm »
Absolutely brilliant, first to achieve from this from an estimated 1.5 million rounds on the tour.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2017, 12:04:05 pm »
Tommy fleetwood going great in HSBC championships.

It'll be great for him to win this.

I always enjoy scouse sportsmen doing well and he really is playing well the last few months.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2017, 10:56:09 am »

Rory Mcilroy is a massive prick isn't he?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2017, 11:05:01 am »

Rory Mcilroy is a massive prick isn't he?

Jesus is that Mcilroy. Didn't realise he was so small?

I'm really not over keen on Mcilroy or Trump myself but why does this pic make him a prick?

Getting to have a round of golf with the President of the United States and probably the most powerful man in the world doesn't happen every day.

Offline MoSzizlak

• Kopite
  • Yum Yum!
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2017, 12:59:59 pm »
Dustin new worlds number 1.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2017, 01:02:24 pm »
Rory is a Manc season ticket holder, that alone makes him a prick.. :P
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2017, 01:08:20 pm »
Jesus is that Mcilroy. Didn't realise he was so small?

I'm really not over keen on Mcilroy or Trump myself but why does this pic make him a prick?

Getting to have a round of golf with the President of the United States and probably the most powerful man in the world doesn't happen every day.

When that person is a racist neanderthal, it does in my eyes.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2017, 07:36:45 pm »
Rory played with Trump when he was campaigning for office. Same as Tiger.

Rory's been off the tour for weeks due to injury.

Edit..maybe it was within the last 6 weeks after trump took office.

However, saw this comment posted on MSN in their article on the subject:

Pete Green · Bend, Oregon

Haters gonna hate......Do as you will Rory. You still are one of the best golfers alive no matter who you play golf with! I remember when Rory threw his 3 iron into the lake during a PGA event at one of Trumps golf courses. Trump had a diver go retrieve it and he presented to Rory the following day. I thought that was pretty funny and its no surprise to me that they are "friends" of sorts after that.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:56:40 pm by 4pool »

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2017, 10:11:50 pm »
You are certainly allowed to be friends with whoever you want. Just don't be surprised when the majority of people think you're an absolute dickhead for choosing to keep company with that person. This coming from a fellow countryman of his.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2017, 10:28:23 pm »
btw... heard a story on the golf channel on SiriusXM radio... they were talking about Tiger Woods and his fame, etc.

One of the lads ( ex-golfer himself) said he grew up in Southern California. Everyone in California knew of Tiger since he was young. he mentioned Tiger never lost a tournament from the first one he entered at 4 years old until he was 13-14 years old. 100's of tournaments. Anyway, he got bored constantly beating kids his own age and wanted to play the back tee's. They told him he couldn't play those tees as he had to play the same ones as the others in his age group. So he decided to play the back tees and play against 16-17 year olds. He still won most tournaments but at 13 it was more of a challenge from back there. that's when he lost for the first time.

Let's also remember he won 6.....six.....match play titles in a row. Three US National Junior amateurs, then three US Amateurs, all on the trot just before he turned pro and won the masters.

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2017, 10:44:34 pm »
btw... heard a story on the golf channel on SiriusXM radio... they were talking about Tiger Woods and his fame, etc.

One of the lads ( ex-golfer himself) said he grew up in Southern California. Everyone in California knew of Tiger since he was young. he mentioned Tiger never lost a tournament from the first one he entered at 4 years old until he was 13-14 years old. 100's of tournaments. Anyway, he got bored constantly beating kids his own age and wanted to play the back tee's. They told him he couldn't play those tees as he had to play the same ones as the others in his age group. So he decided to play the back tees and play against 16-17 year olds. He still won most tournaments but at 13 it was more of a challenge from back there. that's when he lost for the first time.

Let's also remember he won 6.....six.....match play titles in a row. Three US National Junior amateurs, then three US Amateurs, all on the trot just before he turned pro and won the masters.

An absolute freak, the likes of we will never see again I think. There may be golfers as talented as him and some others might have his will to win but none will ever combine the two so beautifully again.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2017, 12:11:02 am »
When that person is a racist neanderthal, it does in my eyes.

Well tiger woods disagrees

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2017, 12:22:55 am »
Well tiger woods disagrees

Just because one powerful rich black man decides to play golf with Trump it doesn't mean he's not a racist.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #112 on: March 1, 2017, 01:37:16 pm »
Major rule changes are being proposed by R&A & USGA include

Remove any penalty for accidentally moving your ball.
Relax the protocols for taking free or penalty drops, with the ball dropped from only an inch above the ground, rather than shoulder height.
Use fixed distances (20 or 80 inches) rather than club lengths to measure areas where a ball should be dropped.
Reduce the time allowed to search for a lost ball from five to three minutes.
Allow putting on the green with the flagstick left in the hole.
Allow players to repair spike marks and animal damage on greens.
Automatically allow the use of distance measuring devices.
Ban caddies from lining up players as they prepare to hit.
Recommend no player takes more than 40 seconds to hit a shot.
Encourage players in strokeplay to implement "ready golf" rather than waiting until it is their turn to hit.
Empower committees to set a maximum score for a hole (such as double par or triple bogey) to allow a player to pick up and move to the next hole.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/39120332
#Sausages

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 1, 2017, 01:40:27 pm »
Jon Rahm has become a member of the European Tour

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/rahm-na-officially-join-european-tour/

This is massive, he's going to be top 5 in the World within 3 or 4 years. It means he can play for Europe in next year's Ryder Cup.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: March 5, 2017, 12:53:40 am »
Phil today hits into 2 bushes, low an behold he's found 2 sprinkler heads and gets free drops in pretty much unplayable lies.

O.K

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: March 5, 2017, 10:04:11 pm »
Jon Rahm has become a member of the European Tour

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/rahm-na-officially-join-european-tour/

This is massive, he's going to be top 5 in the World within 3 or 4 years. It means he can play for Europe in next year's Ryder Cup.

Your man John Rahm is acquitting himself very well this weekend Gerry.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: March 5, 2017, 10:06:19 pm »
Your man John Rahm is acquitting himself very well this weekend Gerry.

Didn't pick him in the fantasy thread on here though  :( Definitely one to keep an eye on in the coming months and years; he has majors in him.

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: March 5, 2017, 10:16:05 pm »
Didn't pick him in the fantasy thread on here though  :( Definitely one to keep an eye on in the coming months and years; he has majors in him.

He's playing with such composure for a rookie. Even if he doesn't quite hold on here he can build from this definitely. I shall be following him throughout the year. Cheers.

By the way is it too late to join that fantasy thread?

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: March 5, 2017, 10:21:40 pm »
He's playing with such composure for a rookie. Even if he doesn't quite hold on here he can build from this definitely. I shall be following him throughout the year. Cheers.

By the way is it too late to join that fantasy thread?

He doesn't seem to have any weaknesses in his game.

BoRed runs the fantasy mini league, but I'm sure he'd have no problem with you joining. We're a way through this season of it, but the new one starts at the end of April so you wouldn't be lagging behind all year.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2017, 10:25:53 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 5, 2017, 10:28:33 pm »
He doesn't seem to have any weaknesses in his game.

BoRed runs the fantasy mini league, but I'm sure he'd have no problem with you joining. We're a way through this season of it, but the new one starts at the end of April so you wouldn't be lagging behind all year.

He's starting to get rattled a bit here, hope he can stay in the picture. He does look a player though.

Nice one mate I'll keep an eye out for when the new league starts.