Author Topic: FC Barcelona  (Read 874061 times)

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
Re: FC Barcelona
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2012, 12:09:19 am »
At first I thought the Barca way of playing was good football. But the fact that they do the same shit again and again shows that they are tactically lacking. The football they play although technically brilliant it is slow ponderous and sorry to say downright dull.

Although I hate Chelsea and the plastic lime light they live in, I am reasonably happy that the oh so great and wonderful Barcelona got beat tonight. I just pray and hope that either Real or Bayern (Bayern pls be Bayern), thrash the shite club that Chavksi are in the final.

Compare this to the Atletic Bilbao games I've seen recently, they at least provide entertaining football. There is a mix u need in football, speed, aggression, technical ability, heart and Barca have some of that (technical ability, heart, and aggression) but not enough speed.

NO PLAN B. And its fucking boring!

I hate long ball football. Hoofing it forward for the strikers/wingers to chase down and try and score a goal, but sometimes directness has its place. Pissing around pass after pass after pass after pass, can be impeding the team as much as just hoofing it each time it gets possession. There needs to be balance. Barca don't have balance.

In addition to that although Cech last night possibly wasn't being quick about it, it was the Barca crowd that got him booked and I bet they get alot of bullshit decisions given there because of it. Most bigger teams DO get alot of decisions at home, but the way the media and uefa and so many people get caught up in the luv-in and the affect it has on the footballing world has become seriously biased toward Barca, and as referees are meant to be indefferent to either teams status this fucks me off something rotten.

If Liverpool played this way I probably would love it, but as they don't I am able to look at the style of play they have from a more objective position, and even though it has brought success to them recently in a way preferable to the Sam Allerdyce manual of shit football, I still cannot bring myself to enjoy and praise the luv-in of Barca football.

If any team could play like we played at Fulham away and against Man City at home last year consistently, THEN I wouldn't complain (bar the shit club down the motorway), or even the year Arsenal were unbeaten - fantastic. But the footy Barca serve up is not to my liking and I really don't care if people say 'Oh how dare you not enjoy the pass and move football that this brilliant club display every week?'. Its slow, dull and not enjoyable.

Rant over!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:11:40 am by mrloon »

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2012, 12:10:27 am »
I thought they just dilly dallied too much with the ball going from one side of the pitch to the other tonight which in the end cost them. They're an outstanding football team and an absolute pleasure to watch week in week out but its evident they were missing a target man tonight who they could cross balls into tonight. When the eventual cross did come in, it was food and drink for Ivanovic and Boswinga. The ball into feet inside the box which they are superb at didn't work 2nd half due to how deep Chelsea were defending. As people have mentioned above, there was no Plan B. They were ultimately relying on Messi for a bit of magic to win the game in which he nearly did with his effort against the post.

I think they are fatigued a fair bit. I know Messi has said himself he wants to play in every game but he's looked tired the last 2 games especially against Madrid. Sanchez has been a bit hit and miss and in hindsight I think they could of used that money to buy 2 decent defenders because that's were teams have got at them this season. Mascherano and Busquets are adequate CB's when your 2 or 3 nil to the good but you need an experienced head there in these big games.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2012, 12:19:56 am »
You need robe able to mix it up - you need to be able to play on the break and against a packed defense. You need players who can pass from deep, and open up a defense and players who can beat a man to en a defense.
All Rafa's great team was missing was David silva and a Drogba type player
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Ryba

• A self-confessed "bit of a twat", who thinks Everton will win the league 2010-11, is either very deluded or reckons Everton will be demoted to The Championship ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • bluenose
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2012, 12:28:16 am »
Soft red card and a soft penalty. Glad to see them crash out. They've too often been the beneficiaries of refereeing decisions. Absolutely can't stand their theatrics. Team of their quality (arguably greatest of all time) shouldn't need them.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:29:47 am by Ryba »

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2012, 12:29:34 am »
Soft red card and a soft penalty. Glad to see them crash out. They've too often been the beneficiaries of refereeing decisions.

:lmao

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline arfy05

• Legacy Fan
  • Conspiracy Theorist
    • The arfy blog
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2012, 12:49:05 am »
Its amazing thatwhen a team is down how easy it isto find its flaws. Guardiola being criticised for playing Tello/ Cuenca And using "kids" is poor form when you consider this is hallmark of Pep since day one. 3 years ago who was Busquets or Pedro yet Guardiola played them and they grew in the team, it has always been his hallmark. I think this week and season has shown fatigue both mentally and physically has caught up ith Barca. The key players have played non stop football for 4 year the likesof Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta all played Euro 2008all the way to the final then a full season to the end of the UCL and then had Confederation Cups(not 100% sure they all played) then a full season and then the World Cup then another full season and 2 seasons of going toJapan in December. It can take its toll especially with the pressure cooker environment of being "the team of a generation" and all the added pressure, expectation and focus on them.

I do think that they did seem boring today and there play was slower and the movement but that was down to fatigue and poor tactics. There is two types of width, width from wingers who stay wide keep the ball and attack the fullback from a stationary starting point and then there is width from fullbacks which is more dynamic as it comes from a deeper position and more forceful in terms of keeping play movng fast. Barcelona have been synonymous with the latter style of play with the likes of Alves in particular and before thatbGio / Belletti. Today there mistake was they abandoned oncoming fullbsck width yet tried to keept the game open and stretched by playing a wide game, however they played with wide players pushed roght forward thus meaning they had to play a slower wing game and allow Chelsea to keep positions. Had they played with fullbacks and let them arrive on to attacking positions as opposed to start in attacking positions they would have killed Chelsea. The first goal was an example they overloaded the left with Alves and Cuena and the extra man in Cuenca gave the cross on a Chelsea team back peddling to score. That was the only time they were effective out wide and that was there biggest mistake. Im sure they will be back because irregardless of this week and the seasons this is the team of this generation and Im sure they will respond.

Offline JohnnyShinra

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2012, 12:53:16 am »
This team is still the greatest ever. It takes incredible effort and luck to stop them. The football they play is breathtaking can't fathom how it is boring to some people.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2012, 12:56:57 am »
This team is still the greatest ever. It takes incredible effort and luck to stop them. The football they play is breathtaking can't fathom how it is boring to some people.

Envy. People are bored of them winning.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2012, 01:03:05 am »
Envy. People are bored of them winning.

This x10000

Jurgen Klopp

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2012, 01:04:38 am »
Its amazing thatwhen a team is down how easy it isto find its flaws. Guardiola being criticised for playing Tello/ Cuenca And using "kids" is poor form when you consider this is hallmark of Pep since day one. 3 years ago who was Busquets or Pedro yet Guardiola played them and they grew in the team, it has always been his hallmark.

did he play them in crucial games where keeping possession (90% of barca's game plan) is paramount and opposition pressure is constant (genuine question, by the way, i have no idea of the answer)? 

i have no problem with playing kids, but these kids looked so far out of their depth it was almost embarrassing.  blood them in by all means during the meaningless cakewalk that is all but a handful of la liga games, but don't start them in three season-defining games in the space of a week.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2012, 01:07:07 am »
At first I thought the Barca way of playing was good football. But the fact that they do the same shit again and again shows that they are tactically lacking. The football they play although technically brilliant it is slow ponderous and sorry to say downright dull.

Admit it, you've watched less than 5 Barca games this season haven't you. Two of those being the Chelsea games.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2012, 01:13:57 am »
How I feel about Barca:

- They're not boring to watch at all.  Other teams defending the 6 yard box like Chelsea did today makes the game boring, but then that works, so no reason why teams shouldn't play like that.
- They're a bit over-reliant on Messi.  He's had 3 poor games by his standard and that's put them out of the two biggest competitions because the goal threat without him is lacking.
- Pep needs to stop with this 3 at the back.  Attacking fullbacks will stretch the opposition more and help them get behind.  3 at the back means one can step out, but it's just not the same.
- They dive and moan almost as much as Man Utd do.  They will surround the ref if they want a player booked and even Messi isn't scared to throw himself down now and then.
- Still arguably the greatest club side of all time.  Just need a bit of tweaking for next season and they'll be a massive threat again.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2012, 01:15:57 am »

What would be your tactical masterplan to overcome a team which has eleven players lined up in two lines in their own box, closing down all crosses, passes and shots?

Barca overcame that not only once, but scored twice and won a penalty, even with all of Chelsea's resilience and last-ditch defending. There's very few teams on the planet that could manage better, and Barca - and especially Messi, the best player in the world - weren't even on form tonight.

They aren't tactically lacking - they played a 3-3-4 formation today and it got them better results attacking-wise than last week.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2012, 01:18:21 am »
They will surround the ref if they want a player booked and even Messi isn't scared to throw himself down now and then.

Just on that final point, Messi doesn't "throw himself down", if anything he's too honest at times compared to some of his colleagues.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2012, 01:19:57 am »
What would be your tactical masterplan to overcome a team which has eleven players lined up in two lines in their own box, closing down all crosses, passes and shots?

Get round the back.  Double up down the wings by playing wide midfielders and two fullbacks bombing on.  And then whip more balls in - even if Chelsea's 10 men had cleared them, there were Barca players everywhere to pick up the loose pieces.  Anything could've happened.

Instead, the ball started central, then went wide, then ended up central again.  Even Masch stepping forward and taking a shot was a change of pace and forced a corner.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2012, 01:21:35 am »
Just on that final point, Messi doesn't "throw himself down", if anything he's too honest at times compared to some of his colleagues.

He's not a diver, and I agree he stays on his feet 99% of the time.  But when it's not working out for him, he's not afraid to give it a go.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2012, 01:22:03 am »
They are human afterall

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2012, 01:25:26 am »
He's not a diver, and I agree he stays on his feet 99% of the time.  But when it's not working out for him, he's not afraid to give it a go.

That's a very poor example you've picked to try and back up your argument mate. Week in week out, he doesn't try to con the ref, why, because he doesn't need to!

Offline Ryba

• A self-confessed "bit of a twat", who thinks Everton will win the league 2010-11, is either very deluded or reckons Everton will be demoted to The Championship ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • bluenose
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:36 am »
:lmao
Personally am just happy any time Barca or Real lose in light of Spanish behavior like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0V70sVe9pY (in addition to the constant theatrics)
Fuck em'

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2012, 01:30:07 am »
They need a left back, a centre back and a striker in the summer.

and a goalkeeper
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2012, 01:31:19 am »
Normally when the tactics don't quite work they have Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Sanchez or Villa to provide that bit of magic that gets them the vital goal. This was just never happened in any of the last 3 games, and unfortuinately for Barca they're the games that have destroyed their season. Doesn't help when Valdes and Puyol have been doing their best impression of the Chuckle Brothers.

Offline AisoD

• Anny Roader
  • On my best behaviour. Honest.
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2012, 01:33:06 am »
They've just gone a little stale and probably the players themselves have lost a little of their fire and ambition. I'm sure this season will help to give them their fire back.

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2012, 01:34:13 am »
Personally am just happy any time Barca or Real lose in light of Spanish behavior like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0V70sVe9pY (in addition to the constant theatrics)
Fuck em'

I know what youre saying but that was Spain National team wasnt it?

Still Terrys a c*nt and deserved to walk. Barca were poor at finishing. Chelseas effort and luck was tremendous in equal measure

Jurgen Klopp

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2012, 01:35:21 am »
and a goalkeeper

Deffo

Hes had a pig again tonight. Ronaldo winner the other night, whats he doing?

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2012, 01:36:55 am »
Get round the back.  Double up down the wings by playing wide midfielders and two fullbacks bombing on.

There was no space behind Chelsea's defence. How would you get in behind them? They were playing a few yards in front of their own goal.

And then whip more balls in - even if Chelsea's 10 men had cleared them, there were Barca players everywhere to pick up the loose pieces.  Anything could've happened.

This is percentage football. The ball could also have rebounded to a Chelsea counter-attack: you lose control of the situation continuously playing the ball into positions blindly. Barca are one of the best teams of all time because they control possession relentlessly, absolutely throttling the opposition. Playing percentage football is counter-intuitive to them.

Instead, the ball started central, then went wide, then ended up central again.  Even Masch stepping forward and taking a shot was a change of pace and forced a corner.

I'd agree that more movement was needed from them tonight. Normally, they draw defenders in by playing dangerous one-two passes, before slipping in unmarked players either side - this allows them to concentrate pressure on one area before shifting the ball elsewhere, giving a teammate the space to operate in. Tonight, they found that the play area was too congested and, fair play to Chelsea's defending, they weren't drawn in to too many of Barca's moves the way most teams seem unable to prevent themselves from being - meaning Barca didn't create the openings they usually do.

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2012, 01:48:24 am »
I'd agree that more movement was needed from them tonight. Normally, they draw defenders in by playing dangerous one-two passes, before slipping in unmarked players either side - this allows them to concentrate pressure on one area before shifting the ball elsewhere, giving a teammate the space to operate in. Tonight, they found that the play area was too congested and, fair play to Chelsea's defending, they weren't drawn in to too many of Barca's moves the way most teams seem unable to prevent themselves from being - meaning Barca didn't create the openings they usually do.

Id agree with this but I think Barca gave up too quickly. They ended up firing crosses in from 70 mins onwards. Its fair to say they panicked under huge pressure from the local media. If they had kept up that quick-slow movement a chance wouldve presented itself. That last clear cut one was Cuence at around 60 odd mins. Then it was Busquets blazing it. Typifying the panic in the team, he had time to step into that an get his knee over it, and wouldve normally

Theyve let their game go somewhat and the chances dried up just when Chelsea players wouldve been tiring. Along with the ridiculous sitter and penalty theyve knocked themselves out

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Ryba

• Legacy Fan
  • bluenose
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2012, 02:05:06 am »
Quoting a poster from the match thread
Where to begin, where to begin...

Alright, I'll start with the constant condescending manners of the clubs. "The right way to play football". There is no fucking right way to play football, and if there were, they're doing it wrong. One of the most effective ways to defend is to keep the ball, and Barca realized that a long time ago. They're not entertaining, they're just extremely fucking good at what they do. They constantly insult every other football club on the planet when they say "the Barca way is the only way". Fuck right off.

Secondly, I'll go with "Mes Que Un Club". Barcelona and Catalonia in particular is based on regional nationalism which is dangerous and completely indefendable. Needless to say, it has no place in football.

Thirdly, I'll go with the systematical pursuading of the referee. Now, before I watch Barca I always make sure I count the amont of times they surround the referee. I also count the amount of times we, LFC, do it, to have a reference point. Each time I watch them, they surround the referee to force out a card (whilst some other player is half-dying from a slight nudge) twice or thrice a game. They've done it twice this game already, and if things don't go their way, they will do it again. And again. And again. It's disgraceful. And to give you the reference point, LFC don't do it often. About once every fifth game and even then it's not in Barcelona-style. The only time I can honestly say we acted like Barca would do, i.e surrounding the referee, was Fulham (A) this season after Jay Spearing's red card. And guess what, we were actually fined for that. Barca of course, never are.

And to top it off I'll go with the debt. The debt they, nor Real Madrid for that matter, seem to have any interest in paying off. Despite the fact that Spain as a country on a whole are fucked economically. They just add to the debt to buy players they don't need for money they don't have to impress people that don't care. The whole Fabregas-saga is an excellent example of that, or last season when they actually added to the debt to pay wages. All this whilst adding to the myth that Barca only have homegrown players. Fuck right off with that, they're not homegrown, they're just stolen from an early age. And I'm ashamed to say that with the EPPP it looks like english clubs want to be no better.

So, rant over. I will never hate a club as much as I hate Barca. And that goes for United as well.

Edit: Oh, and I know what the Chelsea-fans did. And I despise Chelsea, don't get me wrong on that. I just despise Barca ten times more. And I'm not sure how that makes me a c*nt.

Competely agree with you on Barca & general behavior as a club. In addition to everything you mentioned... The way they got Fabregas to sign at a bargain (for that caliber player) price, and then the Barca vice-president laughed at Arsenal regarding the relatively small transfer fee -- and that's after the constant barrage of Barca players talking to media about the "inevitable future transfer of Fabregas" for years before it happened. Them turning on the sprinklers as Inter were celebrating after the Semi final victory... The Catalan media's response to today's loss http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/ungracious-catalan-press-call-chelsea-cowardly-vulgar-and-unworth... And on top of all that, Busquets plays for them. That's reason enough for me to hate them.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2012, 02:05:43 am »
Alas my fellow rawkites have read the first sentence of my previous post and decided to talk about only that! cheers for the insight of replying to the actual point of Barca doing the same thing in their play for the last five/six years and have been technically brilliant but slow boring and fucking tedious.

This is how they play.

Stop ball. pass. Stop ball pass, stop ball pass stop ball pass stop ball pass stop ball pass stop ball pass ooooh heres a new one pass pass pass. oh wait they stopped the ball between those passes aswell. Oh a lil chip over the defence for messi to run under and score.

And although I dont watch every Barca match, I have watched a fair few over the years and its been the same for a while.

The reason people like chelsea, inter, madrid, and a few others have been rows of defenders is because that is what it takes to stop their admittedly brilliant through ball passes.

Im not slagging off the ability of the players they are world class. Its the style of football they play I find boring to watch. The spanish national team is very similar.

I prefer to watch the german national team than the spanish. They are faster more attack minded rather than stifling and slow. Just like i prefer to watch the premier league over la liga. la liga is technically superior, but less exciting.

Its all about personal taste. I would watch the bundesliga over la liga too. Because of the excitement value. I dont wanna watch a team with my head on my fist trying to stop myself from getting bored.

Dont get me wrong I respect how good a team Barca are and how gifted a team they are but I don't like the way they play.

Just as a person gets ill from eating too much chocolate and nothing else, that person needs a balanced diet, just as eating too much vegetation and no meat isn't good for the body as is eating too much meat and not enough vegetation.

The same with football. Too much hoofball does fuck all, but too much passing is also detrimental to the play.

Offline Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2012, 02:10:24 am »

Although I hate Chelsea and the plastic lime light they live in, I am reasonably happy that the oh so great and wonderful Barcelona got beat tonight. I just pray and hope that either Real or Bayern (Bayern pls be Bayern), thrash the shite club that Chavksi are in the final.

Compare this to the Atletic Bilbao games I've seen recently, they at least provide entertaining football. There is a mix u need in football, speed, aggression, technical ability, heart and Barca have some of that (technical ability, heart, and aggression) but not enough speed.

NO PLAN B. And its fucking boring!

I hate long ball football. Hoofing it forward for the strikers/wingers to chase down and try and score a goal, but sometimes directness has its place. Pissing around pass after pass after pass after pass, can be impeding the team as much as just hoofing it each time it gets possession. There needs to be balance. Barca don't have balance.

In addition to that although Cech last night possibly wasn't being quick about it, it was the Barca crowd that got him booked and I bet they get alot of bullshit decisions given there because of it. Most bigger teams DO get alot of decisions at home, but the way the media and uefa and so many people get caught up in the luv-in and the affect it has on the footballing world has become seriously biased toward Barca, and as referees are meant to be indefferent to either teams status this fucks me off something rotten.

If Liverpool played this way I probably would love it, but as they don't I am able to look at the style of play they have from a more objective position, and even though it has brought success to them recently in a way preferable to the Sam Allerdyce manual of shit football, I still cannot bring myself to enjoy and praise the luv-in of Barca football.

If any team could play like we played at Fulham away and against Man City at home last year consistently, THEN I wouldn't complain (bar the shit club down the motorway), or even the year Arsenal were unbeaten - fantastic. But the footy Barca serve up is not to my liking and I really don't care if people say 'Oh how dare you not enjoy the pass and move football that this brilliant club display every week?'. Its slow, dull and not enjoyable.

Rant over!

Have to say I agree with this. Especially this season, they seem to have no plan B. I think you can put that down to some key players being injured, like Villa. I still think they need an Eto'o type striker again to give them a bit directness and pace up front. They've become too reliant on Messi.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2012, 02:25:24 am »
Well they are still a great team and play well most of the time. Struggled with Chelsea when they parked the bus and defended with 9. It is hard to break up that.

In my personal opinion they should had shoot more from outside the area and go from there and find spaces like they did to make the first goal.

Second half today, they were too focussed on passing the ball to the flanks but nobody dare to shoot from the outside.

It was clear that any slight advantage that Chelsea could have, they were going to park the bus.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2012, 02:40:33 am »
and a goalkeeper

Let’s hope they don’t come knocking for Pepe.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2012, 02:51:59 am »
Have to say,as well as Messi not performing to his usual standards, I've been disappointed with Xavi of late. He hasn't impressed in the last few games at all imo. Usually he makes them tick.

It's weird to see Barcelona having some problems. I do think Guardiola is developing a bit of a stubborn streak as well regarding favouring the younger players and sticking by them. I'm sure they'll eventually come good but I don't think their fans are used to being patient.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2012, 02:58:07 am »
Alas my fellow rawkites have read the first sentence of my previous post and decided to talk about only that! cheers for the insight of replying to the actual point of Barca doing the same thing in their play for the last five/six years and have been technically brilliant but slow boring and fucking tedious.

This is how they play.

Stop ball. pass. Stop ball pass, stop ball pass stop ball pass stop ball pass stop ball pass stop ball pass ooooh heres a new one pass pass pass. oh wait they stopped the ball between those passes aswell. Oh a lil chip over the defence for messi to run under and score.

And although I dont watch every Barca match, I have watched a fair few over the years and its been the same for a while.

The reason people like chelsea, inter, madrid, and a few others have been rows of defenders is because that is what it takes to stop their admittedly brilliant through ball passes.

Im not slagging off the ability of the players they are world class. Its the style of football they play I find boring to watch. The spanish national team is very similar.

I prefer to watch the german national team than the spanish. They are faster more attack minded rather than stifling and slow. Just like i prefer to watch the premier league over la liga. la liga is technically superior, but less exciting.

Its all about personal taste. I would watch the bundesliga over la liga too. Because of the excitement value. I dont wanna watch a team with my head on my fist trying to stop myself from getting bored.

Dont get me wrong I respect how good a team Barca are and how gifted a team they are but I don't like the way they play.

Just as a person gets ill from eating too much chocolate and nothing else, that person needs a balanced diet, just as eating too much vegetation and no meat isn't good for the body as is eating too much meat and not enough vegetation.

The same with football. Too much hoofball does fuck all, but too much passing is also detrimental to the play.
So you're saying that passing football is boring?

You're Roy Hodgson and I claim my 5€

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2012, 03:20:21 am »
So you're saying that passing football is boring?

You're Roy Hodgson and I claim my 5€

Oh v droll. Well done!

But again my whole post hasn't been read in its entirety. We need BALANCE in football.

Barca r SLOW!

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are ponderous with the ball. I'm saying that I would prefer to watch ARSENAL OR US circa LAST YEARS PERFORMANCE AT FULHAM OR AT HOME VS MAN CITY.

NOT JUST PASS AND MOVE BUT DIRECT PASS AND MOVE ONE TOUCH FOOTBALL AND SOME SPEED IN THE PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2012, 03:39:07 am »
Either lost the hunger or they're in a slump of bad form.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2012, 03:46:19 am »
They never gave up the mantra and died trying. Commendable.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2012, 03:47:03 am »
once again people are talking shite...when you play like Barcelona you dont need fucking plan B

if Messi scored that penalty, you wouldn't talk about plan B,C,D...about "boring" style, about "shite" tactics
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2012, 03:51:26 am »
They lost a champions league semi and all of a sudden you hear stuff like they are slow and ponderous and are not that great to watch.  Fucking hell. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2012, 03:52:30 am »
They lost a champions league semi and all of a sudden you hear stuff like they are slow and ponderous and are not that great to watch.  Fucking hell. 

Its amazing isnt it, and people wonder why so many fans turn on us when we play crap

They are still the best club in the world, just obviously out of form

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2012, 03:58:14 am »
Oh v droll. Well done!

But again my whole post hasn't been read in its entirety. We need BALANCE in football.

Barca r SLOW!

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are ponderous with the ball. I'm saying that I would prefer to watch ARSENAL OR US circa LAST YEARS PERFORMANCE AT FULHAM OR AT HOME VS MAN CITY.

NOT JUST PASS AND MOVE BUT DIRECT PASS AND MOVE ONE TOUCH FOOTBALL AND SOME SPEED IN THE PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alright girl, no need to shout!

Is there actually a team that plays like that all around, week in week out? against any team no matter the position?

Barça yes, it might be a bit slow, but still they play some fantastic football. That doesn't make them boring or should that be changed now just because it doesn't work.

We played some serious decent football not so long ago either, and still... when you play against a defence of 9 it is hard to break through no matter who is you team!