Author Topic: International Cricket 2022 - 2023 - General Thread  (Read 886438 times)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: International Cricket 2017 - 2018 - General Thread
« Reply #15600 on: March 25, 2018, 03:00:22 am »
Finish the test match. Swap the whole squad with players who are currently playing Sheffield Shield for the final test.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15601 on: March 25, 2018, 03:02:23 am »
As an aside what incredible camera work! Not only spotted the work on the ball but also caught the australian dressing room trying to cover it up
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #15602 on: March 25, 2018, 03:03:53 am »
Cheating fuckers. Throw the book at em, although they’d probably try sandpaper it

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15603 on: March 25, 2018, 03:14:08 am »
There's quite a few people in Australia who don't like some of the personalities in this squad and haven't since the last of the golden generation retired. I think the press over there (and internationally) will hammer them. None of the brief stuff I've read online suggests anyone is talking about bringing "shame to the baggy green" and all that nonsense just accepting what happened was wrong and heads should roll

I live in Australia mate and I have been watching the news this morning on the ABC. Plenty of people have mentioned that the baggy green is associated with fair play and I think Peter Fitzsimmons (Aussie journalist) made a brief point about the mythmaking associated with the baggy green in the last 25 years. Leaving that aside, they are getting hammered and rightly so. What I was questioning was the characterisation of this behaviour in the local media as aberrant and not keeping with past behaviour, when plenty in the international media have been making the opposite observation. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15604 on: March 25, 2018, 03:18:39 am »
There's quite a few people in Australia who don't like some of the personalities in this squad and haven't since the last of the golden generation retired. I think the press over there (and internationally) will hammer them. None of the brief stuff I've read online suggests anyone is talking about bringing "shame to the baggy green" and all that nonsense just accepting what happened was wrong and heads should roll

Yeah, I was quite surprised on one of my Australian forums to see everyone absolutely ripping Smith & co. to shreds. Most want Smith stripped of the captaincy, many saying he should be banned indefinitely. As an Australian, I've been indifferent to the national team since Steve Waugh upped the ante in "mental disintegration", a.k.a. abuse. I've only really supported the team in the Ashes; other times I've rooted for the other side. And even in recent Ashes, I've been more interested in a good contest than the win. My favourite series of all time remains the 2005 series, which we lost.

I always thought I was a bit of an odd man out among Australian cricket fans, but it appears there's been an undercurrent of disaffection for some time, and now it's exploded.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15605 on: March 25, 2018, 03:25:23 am »
Yeah, I was quite surprised on one of my Australian forums to see everyone absolutely ripping Smith & co. to shreds. Most want Smith stripped of the captaincy, many saying he should be banned indefinitely. As an Australian, I've been indifferent to the national team since Steve Waugh upped the ante in "mental disintegration", a.k.a. abuse. I've only really supported the team in the Ashes; other times I've rooted for the other side. And even in recent Ashes, I've been more interested in a good contest than the win. My favourite series of all time remains the 2005 series, which we lost.

I always thought I was a bit of an odd man out among Australian cricket fans, but it appears there's been an undercurrent of disaffection for some time, and now it's exploded.

I think you're absolutely right btw. Quite a few fans seem so disillusioned with the behaviour of the team in a way that the cricketing establishment consisting of the players, the administrators and media simply aren't or haven't been.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15606 on: March 25, 2018, 03:27:17 am »
Well Smith can't be the captain anymore. Nobody in the team should replace him either.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15607 on: March 25, 2018, 06:13:41 am »
Australian PM has just thrown them all under a bus... don't think there's a way back for anyone after that.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Online harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #15608 on: March 25, 2018, 07:48:55 am »
I'm gobsmacked at three things

The 'leadership' thinking this was a good idea but throwing the dirty work to the kid to do
The mechanism they chose to enact this, there's much easier ways to ball tamper
The ridiculous press conference.

Smith needs to stand down now to save his career, let alone his captency
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15609 on: March 25, 2018, 08:12:55 am »
Videos now doing the rounds of Bancroft putting what seems to be sugar in his pocket before coming out against England in January.

Fucking crooks. Ban them all.

Lots of people again raising the question why David Warner, who was designated “ball shiner” in the 2nd test against South Africa had so much tape on his fingers. 

It might very well be nothing, but in retrospect it seems a bit excessive, and therefore a bit suspicious, given the revelations of the last 24 hours.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15610 on: March 25, 2018, 08:19:41 am »
At the risk of sounding a bit dramatic, I'm not sure this is an awful lot better than the spot betting fiasco that got the three Pakistani players imprisoned (specifically the moral emptiness of the two acts).

If you break it down, it's a calculated, premeditated attempt - by a number of senior staff and player to influence and alter the game using methods that have been deemed illegal - both before and during it. Ball tampering is one thing - Faf du Plessis has been done about 80 times for it, but this is different, it feels almost institutional and smacks of contempt for authority at a number of levels.

Everything I read and see about it makes me squirm. It's absolutely grim.

I wouldn't necessarily put it on the same level as spot fixing or even the larger match fixing scandal that Hansie got pinged for. Those acts showed complete contempt and disregard for the actual game and it's outcome, whereas this ball tampering is cheating in an attempt to gain an advantage on the field and would only benefit the Aussies if it came off. But we are talking about different shades of the same thing really.

I do agree with you on the strategic and planned aspect to it, which does make it so much worse than the dozens of other times players have been caught doing it. I also find the admission of guilt to be really disingenuous. Referring to a leadership group which consists of the best, and probably unsackable, players is just another tactic to get away with it without major repercussions. Saying the coach was not involved despite the footage showing clearly he knew what was up and the attempt to deceive the umpires was via his instructions.

If they had fully owned up to it and were more honest and open about it, I think people would be more forgiving. But they are still coming across as arrogant and above the rules and spirit of the game (which they conveniently throw into the faces of almost every opposition team when they get the chance).

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15611 on: March 25, 2018, 08:36:59 am »
Australian PM has just thrown them all under a bus... don't think there's a way back for anyone after that.

The PM has come out and said what I was saying earlier about the baggy green being a symbol of fair play and how Smith and co. have tarnished that. Except, I don't think it's a symbol of fair play or at least it hasn't been in the 20 years or so that I've watched cricket.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15612 on: March 25, 2018, 08:46:44 am »
A lot of WTF about this. Were they trying to get caught???

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15613 on: March 25, 2018, 09:11:08 am »
At least Gary ‘Nathan’ Lyon might finally get his wish to see a few careers ended. Better late than never.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #15614 on: March 25, 2018, 09:12:54 am »
Chiming with some of the thoughts above, Graeme Smith is nailing the Aussies and how this ‘tough but fair competitor’ thing they go on about is crap. The ball tampering just follows on from how they approach the game.
Internet terrorist

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15615 on: March 25, 2018, 09:28:56 am »
Smith and Warner stand down as captain and vc for this match.

My guess is they'll never play for Australia again.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15616 on: March 25, 2018, 09:35:36 am »
My guess is they'll never play for Australia again.
I think they definitely will.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15617 on: March 25, 2018, 09:35:54 am »
Nah, they'll play again, but never as C/VC.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15618 on: March 25, 2018, 09:50:06 am »
Michael Holding is fuming on commentary.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #15619 on: March 25, 2018, 10:02:57 am »

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #15620 on: March 25, 2018, 10:19:52 am »
Chiming with some of the thoughts above, Graeme Smith is nailing the Aussies and how this ‘tough but fair competitor’ thing they go on about is crap. The ball tampering just follows on from how they approach the game.

They were giving De Villiers abuse before he even got to the crease and faced a ball yesterday. Moaning about fans on their backs too, odd seeing the stick our lads get out in Australia at games!
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15621 on: March 25, 2018, 10:41:10 am »
They were giving De Villiers abuse before he even got to the crease and faced a ball yesterday. Moaning about fans on their backs too, odd seeing the stick our lads get out in Australia at games!

Lehmann was on national radio before the ashes saying he hoped broad got dogs abuse (not the quote!) From players and crowd
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15623 on: March 25, 2018, 10:58:59 am »
I think they definitely will.
Nah, they'll play again, but never as C/VC.

You may be right but Smith is now a cheat by his own admission. Not sure he can get out of this. Besides he appears to be a little stupid so that's not going to help when he chats with cricket Australia.
Obi-Wan:

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #15624 on: March 25, 2018, 11:07:26 am »

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #15626 on: March 25, 2018, 11:47:26 am »
Lehmann was on national radio before the ashes saying he hoped broad got dogs abuse (not the quote!) From players and crowd

They are a right bunch, remember Clarke saying to Anderson about breaking his arm.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15627 on: March 25, 2018, 11:53:32 am »
I just wished they cheated better. Far too brazen. It is a shame that Smith, who is a remarkable player, will have this hanging around his neck from now on.

I'm not sure that its a big enough story that the prime minister should be getting involved but such is the 21st century and world sport.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15628 on: March 25, 2018, 11:55:51 am »
Just got an general release email from cricket Australia

A message from James Sutherland

To our Australian Cricket Fans, 

We are sorry. 

We are sorry that you had to wake up this morning to news from South Africa that our Australian Men’s Cricket team and our Captain admitted to conduct that is outside both the Laws of our game and the Spirit of Cricket.

This behaviour calls into question the integrity of the team and Cricket Australia.

Following discussions with Steve Smith and David Warner they have agreed to stand down as Captain and Vice-Captain respectively for the remainder of this Test match.

As I said at a media conference earlier today, Cricket Australia and Australian cricket fans expect high standards from cricketers representing our country, and on this occasion these standards have not been met.

We know how you feel and have heard your feedback loud and clear. We share your anger and disappointment.

As you would be aware, we have launched an immediate investigation into what transpired in Cape Town, and our Head of Integrity is travelling to South Africa as we speak.

All Australians, like us, want answers and we will keep you updated on our findings, as a matter of urgency.

James Sutherland
Chief Executive Officer - Cricket Australia
Obi-Wan:

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #15629 on: March 25, 2018, 12:16:20 pm »
Lots of people again raising the question why David Warner, who was designated “ball shiner” in the 2nd test against South Africa had so much tape on his fingers. 

It might very well be nothing, but in retrospect it seems a bit excessive, and therefore a bit suspicious, given the revelations of the last 24 hours.

Any more tape and he would look like he was wearing Jack Russell’s keeping gloves.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15630 on: March 25, 2018, 12:33:48 pm »
I just wished they cheated better. Far too brazen.
Disagree. Should have gone full grade cricket and used a bottle top.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #15631 on: March 25, 2018, 12:44:26 pm »
Test cricket is under threat from the shorter formats of the game.

Swathes of empty seats in the current two tests being played. For someone of my generation it’s a depressing development, particularly in view of increasing numbers of professional players turning their backs on test cricket.

This incident only exacerbates the slow demise of the greatest expression of the beautiful game.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15632 on: March 25, 2018, 12:59:19 pm »
Disgraceful actions from team Australia. Bancroft was only doing what his been asked by senior players. Disgusting!!!

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15633 on: March 25, 2018, 01:43:55 pm »
TV coverage reckons Steve Smith will miss the next test match. They seemed to indicate this is an ICC ban and not from CA
Obi-Wan:

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #15634 on: March 25, 2018, 02:03:46 pm »
TV coverage reckons Steve Smith will miss the next test match. They seemed to indicate this is an ICC ban and not from CA

Australia captain Steve Smith has been handed a one-Test suspension by the ICC following ball-tampering incident in third Test against South Africa.
Smith has also been fined 100 per cent of his match fee, while Cameron Bancroft is given a 75 per cent fine and three demerit points.
Australia opener Cameron Bancroft has also been fined 75 per cent of his match fee and handed three demerit points over the incident in Cape Town on Saturday, the ICC have confirmed.
More to follow...

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #15635 on: March 25, 2018, 02:04:59 pm »
Steve Smith should miss more than one test match, tell you what, Smith is going to get dogs abuse, if he's still in the Australia team the next Ashes series, actually the Aussies play a ODI series vs England in England in June, the reception the Aussies will get will be interesting.
#Sausages

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15636 on: March 25, 2018, 02:05:38 pm »
A one match ban for that is fucking pathetic. May as well not bother at all.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15638 on: March 25, 2018, 02:12:33 pm »
Think the worst part in all of this is that they made the junior guy do it.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15639 on: March 25, 2018, 02:15:46 pm »
Think the worst part in all of this is that they made the junior guy do it.

Bunch of cowards.