Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5737422 times)

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #42000 on: March 2, 2017, 12:51:03 pm »
Ozil is NOT sick or anything like it. Wenger has just dropped him and he probably won't ever play for us again in a league game because I think we will try and sell him. Absolute coward.

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #42001 on: March 2, 2017, 12:55:39 pm »
Ozil is NOT sick or anything like it. Wenger has just dropped him and he probably won't ever play for us again in a league game because I think we will try and sell him. Absolute coward.
No way,Wenger is too loyal to his players,thats his main weakness

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #42002 on: March 2, 2017, 01:09:24 pm »
Wenger has just dropped him and he probably won't ever play for us again in a league game

Don't be daft.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42003 on: March 2, 2017, 01:44:24 pm »
Can't help but feel that the abuse Ozil gets from some quarters is a bit OTT. He's not that bad.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42004 on: March 2, 2017, 02:03:43 pm »
Who's the likely replacement going to be? Play Ramsey there like he does (very well) for Wales? Maybe move Sanchez back there and start Giroud (who always causes us problems)?

Iwobi.

If Wenger is smart he should play Sanchez, Ramsey/Oxlade, Walcott behind Perez and blitz you lot with pace like Leicester managed, with those centre halves being suspect.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2017, 02:07:08 pm by Ashburton »

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #42005 on: March 2, 2017, 02:10:22 pm »
Iwobi.

If Wenger is smart he should play Sanchez, Ramsey/Oxlade, Walcott behind Perez and blitz you lot with pace like Leicester managed, with those centre halves being suspect.
He obviously doesnt rate Perez,no idea why cause every time i seen him play he was pretty good.He is gone at the end of season if Wenger stay.

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42006 on: March 2, 2017, 02:58:51 pm »
Iwobi.

All strikers of any description cause us problems, big ones, small ones, fast ones slow ones shit ones average ones, ones that never score, ones that always score. Don't limit yourselves to just pace.

If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42007 on: March 2, 2017, 03:24:51 pm »
Don't be daft.
He didn't play against Sutton United. It would not surprise me if he didn't feature again for us.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42008 on: March 2, 2017, 05:04:42 pm »
Can't help but feel that the abuse Ozil gets from some quarters is a bit OTT. He's not that bad.

He's world class, you don't get 200 career assists in the time he did by not having ridiculous talent.  Unfortunately right now the midfield has no rhythm and balance to it, so Ozil tends to be wasted for a lot of phases of the play.

It always makes me laugh where managers of the Germany and Spain national team, both world cup winners, as well as current and forum pros praise him, yet some random lad on the internet thinks he's shit because he doesn't run enough and Robbie Savage says he'd have shouted at him.  He's a frustrating player at times, sure, but in the right team he's ridiculous.  Unfortunately right now Arsenal haven't clicked all season, and he's suffering poor form just like most of the rest of the team because of it.  I personally think we can't dominate break-downs and counters enough to have Ozil as part of the side right now, but perhaps for a side like PSG or Real he'd be able to capture the heights of 12-13.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42009 on: March 2, 2017, 05:43:40 pm »
No excuse to not run more and put more effort in. Its an absolute paramount in any football player or football team. Just put the effort in.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42010 on: March 2, 2017, 06:38:54 pm »
No excuse to not run more and put more effort in. Its an absolute paramount in any football player or football team. Just put the effort in.

Speaking as a supporter of the hardest running, hardest working team in the premier league, and speaking from the lofty position of 5th and falling, I feel confident in saying there's more to this football malarky than just running and putting effort in.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #42011 on: March 2, 2017, 07:02:56 pm »
He's world class, you don't get 200 career assists in the time he did by not having ridiculous talent.  Unfortunately right now the midfield has no rhythm and balance to it, so Ozil tends to be wasted for a lot of phases of the play.

It always makes me laugh where managers of the Germany and Spain national team, both world cup winners, as well as current and forum pros praise him, yet some random lad on the internet thinks he's shit because he doesn't run enough and Robbie Savage says he'd have shouted at him
.  He's a frustrating player at times, sure, but in the right team he's ridiculous.  Unfortunately right now Arsenal haven't clicked all season, and he's suffering poor form just like most of the rest of the team because of it.  I personally think we can't dominate break-downs and counters enough to have Ozil as part of the side right now, but perhaps for a side like PSG or Real he'd be able to capture the heights of 12-13.

I've never understood this either. He was a key part of Mourinho's Real Madrid and has played a pivotal role for the German national team since 2010, yet somehow he's not good enough for Arsenal. Someone needs to explain that to me. He is a special talent and has achieved loads, but Arsenal has never put the right players around him. Having a striker like Giroud and a midfield of Coquelin and Xhaka hasn't helped him and he inevitably becomes the scapegoat.

I assume he will go to Bayern Munich and we will see the return of the Ozil from Real Madrid and the German national team.

I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42012 on: March 2, 2017, 07:14:41 pm »
Speaking as a supporter of the hardest running, hardest working team in the premier league, and speaking from the lofty position of 5th and falling, I feel confident in saying there's more to this football malarky than just running and putting effort in.

The sturridge thread says otherwise

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #42013 on: March 2, 2017, 07:19:29 pm »
So what are the Gooners predictions for the game?
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42014 on: March 2, 2017, 07:27:03 pm »
So what are the Gooners predictions for the game?

I expect a comfortable Liverpool win. If you play with same urgency as the spurs game.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42015 on: March 2, 2017, 08:02:31 pm »

It always makes me laugh where managers of the Germany and Spain national team, both world cup winners, as well as current and forum pros praise him, yet some random lad on the internet thinks he's shit because he doesn't run enough and Robbie Savage says he'd have shouted at him.  He's a frustrating player at times, sure, but in the right team he's ridiculous.  Unfortunately right now Arsenal haven't clicked all season, and he's suffering poor form just like most of the rest of the team because of it.  I personally think we can't dominate break-downs and counters enough to have Ozil as part of the side right now, but perhaps for a side like PSG or Real he'd be able to capture the heights of 12-13.
He seems to suffer from the same problem as Coutinho, he'll have a run of games where he's unplayable then be invisible for a month or two.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #42016 on: March 2, 2017, 08:47:31 pm »
I expect a comfortable Liverpool win. If you play with same urgency as the spurs game.

Surprised at that a bit considering how poor we were vs the Foxes.
How do you see yourselves lining up mate?
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42017 on: March 3, 2017, 12:09:05 pm »
Given it is my birthday weekend, it will be a boring game, Liverpool win 1-0 with only shot on goal and half the Arsenal squad will get injured for a year doing such things as handshaking, taking off shirts and talking.

Liverpool have better record in the top team clashes this season so I would imagine Liverpool will be up for it and win.

Wow, your medical knowledge and that your within the camp is great but isn't betraying medical confidences a crime? Isn't sneaking out news about Arsenal damaging to the club?

Or you actually know none of this, are making a bizarre conspiracy up and making personal attacks on someone's character becuase your not a fan of his footballing ability.

One of the two.

Effort is just a stick to attack people one doesn't like. Statistics might indicate Ozil works hard as do the opinions of those who, you know, actually work with him but Ozil doesn't look energetic, isn't a player who flies into tackles  and makes big noise about working hard. Ergo internet warriors can slag him off for not working hard. There are some things Ozil isn't good at and it causes us problems in some games but that isn't the same as not working hard

What puzzles me is how often likes of Flamini got slagged off by same people despite visibly working hard. Since that is apparently everything.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2017, 12:17:18 pm by MagicHat »

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42018 on: March 3, 2017, 01:14:53 pm »
I'm a fan of his footballing ability, he is just a coward who doesn't run himself into the ground for the cause. That is all.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42019 on: March 3, 2017, 01:16:05 pm »
A giant gaping hole formation to allow you to cut through us on the counter.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42020 on: March 3, 2017, 01:31:46 pm »
I'm a fan of his footballing ability, he is just a coward who doesn't run himself into the ground for the cause. That is all.

Sorry, I was unfair there. I'll correct that "your not happy with his form and rather then deal with it, you launch into snide, cowardly personal attacks and engage in slander"

He does work his socks off for the team, stats show that. But facts aren't really the issue here becuase if they were, you would never talk such rubbish about Ozil's work rate. Or begin bizarre conspiracies about him so you can attack him for things he is only doing in your imagination.

Criticizing Ozil's form, lack of goals of late, saying that he doesn't suit the teams needs due to weaknesses in his game and weaknesses in ours, all perfectly reasonable. One could argue he works hard in the wrong way. One may agree or disagree with such criticism of any player but that is all a fair debae.

What isn't reasonable is attacking someone's, who you don't know personally and who isn't here to defend himself, character for playing badly. Or making stuff up to slander someone. It is snide, it is rude, it is the actions of a real coward and the behaviour of someone being a jerk. Show some dignity and some decent behaviour please

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42021 on: March 3, 2017, 01:40:30 pm »
Magic Hat, all I see is utter rubbish with Ozil works hard. What a load of absolute rubbish and anyone with a pair of eyes would be able to see that is rubbish. Stop basing everything on 'stats', it proves nothing. He is constantly diabolical in big games away from home. His work rate is not near good enough, he doesn't close down the opposition and his performance is generally invisible.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42022 on: March 3, 2017, 01:42:16 pm »
What isn't reasonable is attacking someone's, who you don't know personally and who isn't here to defend himself, character for playing badly. Or making stuff up to slander someone.
His character is awful. I called him a coward, if that is slander to you, then so be it. Sue me.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42023 on: March 3, 2017, 01:58:43 pm »
Magic Hat, all I see is utter rubbish with Ozil works hard. What a load of absolute rubbish and anyone with a pair of eyes would be able to see that is rubbish. Stop basing everything on 'stats', it proves nothing. He is constantly diabolical in big games away from home. His work rate is not near good enough, he doesn't close down the opposition and his performance is generally invisible.

Ah so facts are rubbish, basing entirely on the well known 100% reliability of your eyes and bias is the best route

His character is awful. I called him a coward, if that is slander to you, then so be it. Sue me.

Well I would say calling a man a coward for football makes you a jerk.

Claiming he and others are faking illness in a very stupid and inept conspiracy, lying to everyone as well as doing it for reasons of cowardice does come as slander.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42024 on: March 3, 2017, 03:10:07 pm »
Ozil is a luxury player, once you've got a team of world class players, you supplement them with an Ozil who can make them flow. The wrong player for a team limited on ability like Arsenal. Still better than many of his team mates.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42025 on: March 3, 2017, 04:27:34 pm »
Ah so facts are rubbish, basing entirely on the well known 100% reliability of your eyes and bias is the best route

Well I would say calling a man a coward for football makes you a jerk.

Claiming he and others are faking illness in a very stupid and inept conspiracy, lying to everyone as well as doing it for reasons of cowardice does come as slander.
I didn't say he was faking injury, I said Wenger is leaving him out and making up an excuse. Facts can be bended in a way to suit your argument. Like assists for example, a simple pass a 5 year old could make like squaring the ball across goal for a tap in counts as an assist. It doesn't tell you anything about the ability of said player.

Likewise running stats, those stats don't show intensity of the running, just how hard is he working and what is his tackling like to get the ball back. Is he just jogging and not trying to actually win the ball back? These things matter, not just a simple running stat.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42026 on: March 3, 2017, 04:39:28 pm »
I'm a little confused now as if Wenger is a coward or that coward line in the training post was still aimed at Ozil. I can see flu being a discreet excuse for other reasons but still a weird one for the conspiracy your going for

If the player is constantly getting those five year old assists, said player is clearly being useful. If the players is consistently putting in the yards that are high up in the list of runners, he is working hard. Effective use of work is another matter but "he is somehow putting in a lot of yards while not working hard, he is managing to jog to cover more ground the others" is illogical

Now tackling, that is a different statistic. I would be surprised if Ozil is anywhere near the highest on tackles but that is due to ability, not due to his being a coward. He isn't a good defensive player, that isn't an issue of working hard, ability and training is the issue.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42027 on: March 3, 2017, 04:39:47 pm »

Would love to see a bit of a shake up.  Realistically, we won't be seeing Perez, but I'd be happy with something like this, assuming Ozil has flu, get some serious pace in attack and let Oxlade and Xhaka actually provide a threat over the top.  Welbeck to help peg back Clyne and provide energy and pace, and Walcott to hopefully roast whichever centreback tries to mark him.  Wouldn't trust Ramsey in CM but he's decent at CAM, certainly does a lot more than Iwobi as of late, although I can see a case for either (Ramsey has horrific form).

Cech
Bellerin Koscielny Mustafi Monreal
             Oxlade Xhaka
 Walcott     Ramsey  Welbeck
                  Alexis

Think most Arsenal fans, and probably Wenger, aren't sure what the best team is at the moment, so expect anything.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42028 on: March 3, 2017, 05:28:47 pm »
Would love to see a bit of a shake up.  Realistically, we won't be seeing Perez, but I'd be happy with something like this, assuming Ozil has flu, get some serious pace in attack and let Oxlade and Xhaka actually provide a threat over the top.  Welbeck to help peg back Clyne and provide energy and pace, and Walcott to hopefully roast whichever centreback tries to mark him.  Wouldn't trust Ramsey in CM but he's decent at CAM, certainly does a lot more than Iwobi as of late, although I can see a case for either (Ramsey has horrific form).

Cech
Bellerin Koscielny Mustafi Monreal
             Oxlade Xhaka
 Walcott     Ramsey  Welbeck
                  Alexis

Think most Arsenal fans, and probably Wenger, aren't sure what the best team is at the moment, so expect anything.

That's actually a really decent front 4 (when Ramsey's on form anyway). Whoever plays in that Ozil role will be key I think as he'll be locking horns with Can for 90 minutes who hasn't been in the best of form recently, Henderson will be a massive miss.

I think Lovren's back for this one so pace will be less of an issue than it was v Leicester. He's not exactly Des Walker but compared to Lucas he's fast. And besides, it will probably be Milner trying to stifle Walcott (and vice versa) rather than one of the centre backs.

What's Oxlade's work rate like? Lallana and Wijanldum put in a lot of kms per game so he'll be feeling it for a while if he can keep up with them. Just hope for his sake Xhaka gets his red late in the game rather than the first half. 

Feeling quite confident about this one as I think Wenger and Klopp are both stubborn enough to stick to their preferred way of playing, and I think that suits us - we look good when teams attack us and, fingers crossed, Wenger will.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42029 on: March 4, 2017, 08:47:52 am »

Feeling quite confident about this one as I think Wenger and Klopp are both stubborn enough to stick to their preferred way of playing, and I think that suits us - we look good when teams attack us and, fingers crossed, Wenger will.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Anfield is a tough place to go to at any time, regardless of form. We aren't playing great (like yourselves) & are a bit unsure in ourselves. However, you have a great record vs the top teams, while we don't, but importantly, like you say, Wenger won't go out & try & adapt our game any, & like North Bank says, it will probably leave gaping holes in our midfield for you guys to attack.

I'm not trying to be clever & downplay us in any way, it's just we've seen it all too often before. Obviously I'd love the victory, it would potentially allow us to open up a 7 point gap on yourselves (if we win the game of hand of course), but if we could get away with a draw to stay ahead of you guys I'd probably take it now.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42030 on: March 4, 2017, 09:48:01 am »
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Anfield is a tough place to go to at any time, regardless of form. We aren't playing great (like yourselves) & are a bit unsure in ourselves. However, you have a great record vs the top teams, while we don't, but importantly, like you say, Wenger won't go out & try & adapt our game any, & like North Bank says, it will probably leave gaping holes in our midfield for you guys to attack.

I'm not trying to be clever & downplay us in any way, it's just we've seen it all too often before. Obviously I'd love the victory, it would potentially allow us to open up a 7 point gap on yourselves (if we win the game of hand of course), but if we could get away with a draw to stay ahead of you guys I'd probably take it now.

Yeah the draw would definitely suit you lot better, and you've picked up a point on each of your last 2 trips here so maybe that's where the smart money is.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42031 on: March 4, 2017, 09:49:34 am »
I'm a little confused now as if Wenger is a coward or that coward line in the training post was still aimed at Ozil. I can see flu being a discreet excuse for other reasons but still a weird one for the conspiracy your going for

If the player is constantly getting those five year old assists, said player is clearly being useful. If the players is consistently putting in the yards that are high up in the list of runners, he is working hard. Effective use of work is another matter but "he is somehow putting in a lot of yards while not working hard, he is managing to jog to cover more ground the others" is illogical

Now tackling, that is a different statistic. I would be surprised if Ozil is anywhere near the highest on tackles but that is due to ability, not due to his being a coward. He isn't a good defensive player, that isn't an issue of working hard, ability and training is the issue.
No he isn't working hard. The vast majority of Arsenal fans will agree with the assessment that he doesn't work hard, he cowers away when its a bit rough. Sanchez constantly tries to win the ball back, Ozil doesn't.  Only because Sanchez is working hard.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42032 on: March 4, 2017, 04:34:23 pm »
What's Oxlade's work rate like? Lallana and Wijanldum put in a lot of kms per game so he'll be feeling it for a while if he can keep up with them. Just hope for his sake Xhaka gets his red late in the game rather than the first half. 

He will work hard, not sure he has the Liverpool style energy and how to use it, partly becuase he is learning a new position. I could see him being out-run and he may make mistakes, he does seem quite good at driving the team forward from deep though and picking a decent pass at the end of it

No he isn't working hard. The vast majority of Arsenal fans will agree with the assessment that he doesn't work hard, he cowers away when its a bit rough. Sanchez constantly tries to win the ball back, Ozil doesn't.  Only because Sanchez is working hard.

Ah the majority over hard facts. I suspect that might be too political a discussion

Sanchez is a better tackler I imagine and he is someone whose working is more visible and pumped up looking certainly. Sanchez is also, in my view, better for a team struggling then Ozil is due to style of play. That isn't the same as Ozil doesn't work hard and that he shirks

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42033 on: March 4, 2017, 06:18:53 pm »
Liverpool would be doing us a favour here by putting another 2 or 3 goals past us. Hurry up the process of ending this pain.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #42034 on: March 4, 2017, 07:25:15 pm »
Liverpool would be doing us a favour here by putting another 2 or 3 goals past us. Hurry up the process of ending this pain.

:wave
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #42035 on: March 4, 2017, 07:31:51 pm »

Funny thing is, watch Wenger leave at the end of the season then go on to manage Barca and win the CL next season whilst knocking you lot out in the process. If you even qualify that is.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #42036 on: March 4, 2017, 07:33:22 pm »
ahhh to be able to bring that quality off the bench. But hey, fat lot of use it did them today. Lucky it was only 3 against.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42037 on: March 4, 2017, 07:56:38 pm »
I'm here for my blud, you get me fam?

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42038 on: March 4, 2017, 08:00:29 pm »
Funny thing is, watch Wenger leave at the end of the season then go on to manage Barca and win the CL next season whilst knocking you lot out in the process. If you even qualify that is.
Even if that does happen, it wouldn't make a difference. It's clear he's run his course there
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42039 on: March 4, 2017, 08:01:20 pm »
Well that was shite. Got battered as expected.
Nice touch resting Sanchez for Lincoln.