Author Topic: Liverpool 2 Charlton 0 - We shall not..  (Read 6693 times)

treble2001

Liverpool 2 Charlton 0 - We shall not..
« on: March 30, 2002, 08:04:43 pm »
[size=20]WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED[/size]
LIVERPOOL 2 CHARLTON 0

Michael Owen got back to goal scoring ways; the Reds are top of the pile and Vladimir Smicer looks on top of his game.  

Happy Days!

If ever there was a doubt that Phil and Ged were going to be too defensive at home in the run-in, there isn’t now.  A midfield four of Hamann, Berger, Murphy, Heskey and a front two of Anelka and Owen isn’t bad is it?!  

And the game got off to such a strange start.  Jamie Carragher raced into the penalty area, created a chance for himself and then, well, blazed into the crowd.  Carragher has shown a hell of an improvement in his attacking play, the area were people find him an easy target to critise because of.  It’s obvious he’s worked on it.  But, Danny Mills and Gary Neville are better, eh Sven?

After a quick start, Liverpool slowed the tempo of the game, and at times it looked like Charlton would take some work to break down.  Jerzy Dudek had nothing to do, bar a few goal kicks, but the Reds needed to find a goal soon before a sense of panic kicked in, as usually happens in these games.

A major blow for the Reds came when Emile Heskey had to leave the action early after about 25 minutes.  He was replaced by man of the moment Vladimir Smicer, who made an immediate impact.

Danny Murphy swung a free-kick over to the back post, and Smicer was on hand to head home from close range.  We’ve spoken over the past few days about Vladi being our ‘Gary Mac’ of this year.  Well, his confidence must be at an all time high, and maybe, just maybe.

Great work by Nicholas Anelka crossed to Vladimir Smicer, who mis-cued the shot, which fell nicely for Owen.  The Charlton players protested angrily for offside, but ref Dermot Gallagher decided that it was onside (well his linesman did, but who knows his name?!).

HT LFC 2 Charlton 0

After that Dean Kiely was on a one-man mission to keep the score 2-0, saving from Jamie Carragher (our Rob Carlos?) and Danny Murphy in the Kop goal.  After that, John Arne Riise was kept out by the Irish international.

One moment that caused panic on the Kop was when the ‘Big Pole in Our Goal’ needed surgery to an injury, but was okay to carry on the game.  No disrespect to Pegguy Arphexad, but without him and Kirkland I wouldn’t really feel safe with Pegguy in goal.  That may be a bit harsh on Pegguy, but the way Dudek commands the defenders is what keeps our defensive record so good.  Kirkland doesn’t have the same thing, but Kirkland’s confidence and assurance is what the defence also needs.

After that, the game was a stroll.  Charlton were happy to end the game, the Reds were happy with the three points.  Jason Euell gave Dudek a save to make, from about 15 yards he fired at Dudek’s goal, but the Pole tipped wide.

With Arsenal and Manchester United also winning, Liverpool simply had to win to stay in contention.  How many times this year have Liverpool drawn ‘must win’ games and are still in!  Gala (both), Barca, Southampton, Arsenal, Everton etc.  It’s a phrase that gets banded about too much but this was a must-win game.

Danny Murphy was employed in the centre and was at the centre of all things good for the reds.  His passing and movement showed exactly why Ged, Sven and Phil all have faith in him.  A shame of few fans don’t have the same faith.  He isn’t a world beater, but when he’s given a job, he always does it.

And with Nico, Michael, Vladi, Emile and Carra all firing at all cylinders, who’d put it past us to make it number 19?

Not that I’m one to tempt fate.

And let’s just say I’m putting a tenner on Carra for first goal on Wednesday.  I’m telling ‘yers it’s gonna happen!

Team:  Dudek; Carragher, Hyypia, Henchoz, Riise; Hamann, Berger (McAllister), Murphy*, Heskey (Smicer); Anelka, Owen (Litmanen)

MAN OF THE MATCH:DANNY MURPHY
Next up: Bayer Leverkusen

Offline Sabbi yypia

• Too classy by far for this place
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 2 Charlton 0 - We shall not..
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2002, 08:12:14 pm »
JC was in the box?????
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o at this rate he might actually score  :o :o :o :o :o

I need something to calm me down..... ::) ::)
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2002, 12:20:11 am »
Cheers. Good win keeping us there though I hope the injury Emile sustained ain't too serious. Congrats to the lads for a good win.

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2002, 12:46:52 am »
JC had a shot at either end and got forward alot better than for ages. Just needs that bit more confidence and he may well get a goal before the end of the season.

Offline Denzil

• Anny Roader
  • The king has returned!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2002, 02:36:26 am »
:o :o  :o  :o Scmicer got booked as well yes he actually but in a tackle and put his boot in   :o  :o  :o  :o

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2002, 03:10:17 pm »
Good game and we did NOT win ugly (like ITV said) more than comfortable for us and never really looked threatened.  Again we came up against a keeper in great form but this time we managed to get a couple of goals.

Great chances from Carra. Mayb unfortunate for the first.  As for teh second a fantastic save from Kiley.

Danny again had a great game.  Caught in possesion first minute but rarely put a foot wrong from then on.  ANOTHER great free-kick from Super Dan and great header from one of (if not THE) smallest player on the pitch.  Didi again had a solid game.  One stray pass but immediately chased to regain possesion.  Defence as solid as ever and how the Charlton fans could claim for a penalty I do not know (especially if our appeal was in vain).

Up front good to see Mikey back on the score sheet.  2.5 MONTHS since he had scored at Anfield  :o :o  Nico another good game.  Good that he is only available for the league as then he can keep fresh.  Good pas to vlad who duely set up the second.  I actually think he was passing it to Owen rather than going for goal.

Great shot from Riise second half but only another fantastic save stopped it.

It is now 8 clean sheets in the last 10 league games.  9 wins in our last 10 league games with a massive 23 goals scored and only 2 conceded.

The reds are on the march again.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Curly Tom

• Has no life.
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Anfield Shrine
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2002, 06:18:13 pm »
Bit knackered to do a report now, comfortable game though and I found a tenner on my way out.  ;D

"I lived my dream today, I lived it yesterday, and I'll be living yours tomorrow, anything else to say?"

Offline Curly Tom

• Has no life.
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Anfield Shrine
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2002, 06:23:10 pm »
great stuff mark, same goes for the two pieces in the latest RAOT. Nice one.

"I lived my dream today, I lived it yesterday, and I'll be living yours tomorrow, anything else to say?"

treble2001

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2002, 06:36:58 pm »
Cheers Curly!  

BTW The Shrine looks even better now.  Love the new look

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2002, 11:12:58 pm »
Curly.  I think that was my tenner, could you post it back please   ;D ;D

Great match report Treble, sums it up I thought.  When my mates asked how we played I simply said proffessionaly.  I never thought that we would lose, and once we went ahead we kept possesion quite well, and still created chances whilst looking solid.

Agree with MOTM as Danny Murphy

Offline Gavinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • JFT97
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2002, 11:48:42 pm »
Great report treble.

we never looked in danger once we were ahead.

murphy had his best game for ages i've seen him play for ages. carra also got fwd well, a great shot in the second half. honourable mentions to hamann and hyypia also.

a bit quiet in the upper anny road where i was sat, but maybe some other people were nursing hangovers from friday night as well..... :)

getting excited about wed night now...

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #11 on: April 1, 2002, 04:50:35 am »
It was great to see Carra getting far enough forward, (into the 18 yard box), to have a shot on goal, and as for his chip forward, it's a shame he didn't show a bit of deftness to the end result.  Then what about the 35 yarder?  If Dean Keily had been a fraction slower, that shot would have gone in!

It would be great to see Carra put one away.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #12 on: April 1, 2002, 04:55:57 am »
Not only did Jamie have two chances, but vlad headed the ball two games in a row.

Suprised Paddy did'nt get himself booked by being jealous of his mate.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #13 on: April 1, 2002, 01:06:53 pm »
Vladi could have even been sent off when he flew in later on just missing the man!!!

Still, it was a lazy day from both the players and us fans, the Kop barely springing into life (though we've surely become used to this in league fixtures by now - Chelsea was the same but was forgotten in the euphoria of a last minute goal).

Thing is though, points are all that matter now!!!

Offline king_of_the_kop

• BANNED
  • Anny Roader
  • The good times are back
« Reply #14 on: April 1, 2002, 01:22:08 pm »
I think if our ful backs did get forward that would give us better options on the attack,also at times when Danny Murphy was playing lovely one twos and running in the box this is what we need more of from our midfield and a lot more low crosses.
But another professional display from Liverpool
MOTM=jAMIE cARRA
KOP FOR KOPITES