Author Topic: RAWK preview - Liverpool v West Bromwich Albion 11 Feb 20:00  (Read 67372 times)

royhendo

RAWK preview - Liverpool v West Bromwich Albion 11 Feb 20:00
« on: February 6, 2013, 09:36:49 am »
"He drives where he wants
He drives where he wants
Odemwingie
He drives where he wants."

The Spurs fans, last weekend.

-

I often tune in to 5 Live following Sunday games (such as last weekend's against Man City) because I've reached a happy stage where things like 606 and The Monday Night Club have become a kind of satire - easing the craving until the next season of The Thick Of It starts up again.

Sunday's show featured a West Brom fan whose accent could only be described as "Russ Abbott does Shankly", Andrew in Dudley.

"Hullo, Alan.

Alan.

West Bromwich Albion.

At the start of the season we were sailing along like a stately gallion. But the sails, the course, had been set by Roy Hodgson... Roy Hodgson's team, Roy Hodgson's tactics. It was seamless, the move from Roy to Steve Clark.

Now question marks are beginning to arise. We've had injury problems with Mulumbu, and then Mulumbu went to the African Nations Cup. We had problems with Yacob, so the two midfield powerhouses were out of the game, and there were problems.

That's not Steve Clark's fault.

But now, I think there are very real questions. And Steve Clark's gonna have to stand up to the plate and prove that he's not a coach - he's a manager.

He can't turn round now and say, "What are we gonna do about Odemwingie?" He's got to decide what to do about Odemwingie.

Popov - spitting today. Disgusting. He can't turn round and say, "Boss, what are we gonna do now?". He's the manager. He's got to decide what he's gonna do.

Olsson. Gave the fans two fingers for berating him a bit. Once again, Steve Clark's got to decide what he's gonna do.

The buck stops with Steve Clark now.

Now there are one or two questions over Steve Clark. He's changed Hodgson's style a wee bit. He's had some of that forced on him by injuries. But I do feel that the next couple of weeks are gonna tell us whether Steve Clark is a true successor to Roy Hodgson or not."

-

I dunno, bloody Scotsmen supporting English clubs. Fly by nights, the lot of them.

But he has a point in a way, our Andrew. West Brom's next two fixtures are Liverpool away, and Sunderland at home. I suppose that's a neat barometer for their standing in two successive games, isn't it? A team in Liverpool that sits two points ahead of them, but recently ascendant, in form at home, and fresh from dominating the champions on their home paddock, then a club somehow breathing down their necks in league terms, despite what's been seen almost universally as a lacklustre season to date in Sunderland. Sunderland lie 5 points behind West Brom in 12th. Liverpool two points ahead in 7th.

In a way, it's a decent test of their mettle, the next two fixtures. But in another, it betrays the fickle nature of the modern football fan.

I'd tentatively suggest that West Brom are, along with Swansea, the best run club in the Premier League. We're led to believe that for years their recruitment and selection of staff has been based on a joined up strategy, and has involved in-depth research as to how each choice would fit. That's seen them make steady progress year-on-year to the point they've arrived at now. Safe in mid-table in the Premier League, with a strong strategic base to build from, enjoying an Icarus-style altitude in early season with a stylish 4-2-3-1 (occasionally 4-4-2) and a swashbuckling counter attacking style referenced around a strong spine, and in particular the impressive Lukaku up front.

Andrew pointed at three of their key strengths in his chat with Alan Green, of course. Olsson, Mulumbu and Yakub have been a formidable foundation for their play, with decent players around them starting pre-season fresh from a spell of typical Hodgson shape drilling, and with a lauded coach in Clark ready to take that a step further.

Thus we had our noses bloodied on the opening day, albeit with our fair share of rotten luck, after which West Brom drew away to Spurs with a well deserved late leveller, despatched Everton at home in convincing style, and from there went on to beat Chelsea, while impressing week in and week out with their organisation and verve on the break, with players like Morrison impressing on a regular basis.

At that stage, sat in the Champions League slots, fans must have been pinching themselves, and lauding their new manager. Fast forward a few weeks and the club's slipped a few places, and sit 20th in the Premier League form table.

Strikers driving to Loftus Road on deadline day, full backs spitting at opposing players, centre halves flicking the Vs at the home support, injuries, absentees...

Yacob is back, albeit seemingly not fully fit, while Mulumbu is set to return. But it seems the standard worry will be West Brom's power and ability on the counter, something we've discussed at length on here and elsewhere this season. In Lukaku, they have powerful, quick reference point, while Morrison adds a sprinkling of culture in their link and support play. We'll need to manage the game in that area, while imposing our own game, as we've become accustomed to seeing since Sturridge joined. Lucas and Gerrard, you'd expect, will be key in stemming their flow in that area, but we've arrived at a nice balance in recent weeks, and you'd hope we'll deal with them.

You'd expect them to set up in their standard 4-2-3-1, with their classic compact counter-attacking set up, ceding the vast majority of possession and focussing on maintaining their shape, while springing out on the counter. We'll pose fresh problems for their defensive organisation, however. They're strong in defensive midfield, so it'll be interesting to see where Suarez starts. Man City's problems often stemmed from the spaces behind Barry and Garcia, didn't they? If West Brom compress that area and cede too much space to us deep, we've seen what Gerrard can do to a side from there. On the other hand, if they neglect that zone in front of the centre halves, be it occupied by Suarez, Sturridge, or a combination of the two... they have a few conundrums to solve. And we have options in terms of our starting positions in the front four. 

In terms of sub-plots, it'll be interesting to see if Countinho gets a run out at any stage, and ideally we'll see the continuation of Henderson's growth. But who knows.

-

As with all our previews, please note that RAWK will mute anyone posting just a formation in a Preview thread until the day after the match is over. This is to improve the quality of preview replies. Formations posted alongside rational comments and debate are exempt. Thanks, RAWK.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2013, 11:25:51 am by royhendo »

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
Re: RAWK preview - West Bromwhich Albion v Liverpool 11 Feb 20:00
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2013, 09:55:25 am »
Great preview mate, really enjoyed that.

This is one of those "on paper" games that we in all honesty should win.  But Aston Villa was also an "on paper" game back in December, and we all know what happened there...

I just can't shake the Aston Villa game off.  It still really annoys me that one.

I am looking forward to the game on Monday evening.  After 2 very positive performances (excluding the fact we probably sat too deep after going 2-0 up at the Emirates) in the past week, we should feel confident going in to a home game against a West Brom side that have really lost their way after a positive start to the season. 
However, they looked decent until they were reduced to 10-men against Spurs on Sunday, and even then had some chances to snatch a draw.

Despite losing 5 of their last 6 league games, they would actually go above us if they were to pull of a surprise win at Anfield, so we will need to be on our toes.

I just hope that we don't find ourselves in the same position we did against Aston Villa in December, where we sit off Lukaku (just as we did with Benteke) and allow West Brom the space and time to hit us on the break. 
If we can keep the momentum we had in the City, Arsenal and Norwich games going, West Brom will be in for a difficult evening.

royhendo

Re: RAWK preview - Liverpool v West Bromwich Albion 11 Feb 20:00
« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2013, 11:29:36 am »
As with all our previews, please note that RAWK will mute anyone posting just a formation in a Preview thread until the day after the match is over. This is to improve the quality of preview replies. Formations posted alongside rational comments and debate are exempt. Thanks, RAWK.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2013, 11:40:43 am »
Nice intro Roy - thanks.

As we have been approaching this game my thoughts have echoed Ashley's and have been thinking back to what Benteke done to us and what Lakaku may do to us. In Steve Clarke they have a manager who is astute tactically and will look at that Villa game and the players he has at his disposal and must feel he has a chance of exploiting our weaknesses. I watched WBA vs Spurs last weekend and they were well in the match until the sending off, creating a few good opportunities. 

This is not going to be one of those games we run out comfortable winners as we have seen in the previous few games at Anfield. It will be a hard game and if we win it will more than likely be by the odd goal.

I really can't see any reason why we would change the team after everyone has performed so well in the last couple of games.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4 on: February 6, 2013, 11:42:17 am »
Just keep reminding the players what happened in the Aston Villa home game. Brom aren't going to make things easy.

Offline SYLENTm

• ight be a total uppet :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is Anfield!
    • The Liverpool Way / My FM Story (to start soon)
« Reply #5 on: February 6, 2013, 11:47:23 am »
Just keep reminding the players what happened in the Aston Villa home game. Brom aren't going to make things easy.

The boys learned the lesson the hard way, I'm sure they won't show up complacent, Brenand should make sure of that.
Must admint Cesc is a great prospect new him before he went to Arsenal, same with Pique(now at ManU) and Messi also from Barcelona. Watch out for these guys in the future look very good.

Get him in the scouting team ASAP!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2013, 11:52:18 am »
One thing we should remember from that Villa game though is that for 30-minutes we absolutely battered them but couldn't get the goal our play deserved. I have no doubt that if we had scored the first goal in that game we would have ended up comfortable winners like we have done against Sunderland, Fulham and Norwich.

Since then we have added another goal scorer to our forward line in Sturridge so hopefully if we start in a similar manner we have a better chance of getting that all important first goal. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #7 on: February 6, 2013, 11:55:14 am »
hate those monday night games specially after internationals.  Hopefully everyone comes back in good condition. 
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 6, 2013, 11:56:31 am »
Great stuff Roy. Certainly West Brom have been in poor form recently (although performance wise, I think they've been ok, a little unlucky not to get something from games they should have) but as mentioned above, the Villa game is still a sore point for us but hopefully it means we'll be 'on it' from the first whistle.

I do worry about Lukaku, from what little I've seen of him, he looks a terrific talent and could cause us problems as he did when he came on in August against us. And perhaps one or two others as well. Still, we've looked better in general recently and our new additions and Borini coming back will give us more options from here on in. We've got three games in seven days from Monday including a trip to Russia so I would expect to see some changes for our games but it wouldn't be surprising if we stuck with the same team as we had against Man City. I do hope Skrtel plays though, I think he's been a little unlucky not to have played recently and of course Coutinho, who I'm looking forward to seeing in a Liverpool shirt. The ideal scenario would be to bring him if we're cruising but football rarely works like that though having him on the bench is the minimum I think we'll have, we might need him to come on and help unlock the game if it's still tight after a while.

Looking forward to it though and I hope Clarke gets a good reception as well.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2013, 12:24:26 pm »
Nice one Roy.

The Aston Villa game still hangs over Anfield like a bad smell. We ought to be optimistic of beating WBA, of outplaying them and making them suffer 'death by football'. But there's still something curiously brittle about us and the Villa memory is still a running sore.

Olsson is their achilles heel. At the Hawthorns it was a question of whether we could get Suarez on a one-on-one with one of the slowest turning centre backs in the Premier League. Our inability to do that with any regularity (together with the referee turning a blind eye to a couple of Olsson stiff-armed tackles on Luis's neck) meant we failed to do any real damage. This time we have Sturridge as well, straight off one of the best centre-forward displays this club has seen in a long time.

I do think it will be all too much for a West Brom defence which has had the wind knocked out of it of late. In fact it's the kind of game in which Suarez may get five or six decent opportunities to score. And, we'd all agree, a Luis hat-trick against a defence that went out to kick the shit of him on the opening day of the season would be nice.   
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2013, 12:33:13 pm »
Excellent OP. I think everyone can see what our weakness is - sit deep compress the space between midfield and defense and hit long balls to a targetman and have someone there to pickup the 2nd ball. Lucas is coming back stronger so we should see a lot less of the 2nd ball losses being iradicated from our play - making us much harder to simply dominate in the air.

Coutinho has a slight knock apparantly so doubtful we'll see him make the bench let alone start - but I would love to see him get 10/15mins if we are leading, I'm sure he is going to be a big hit here, his ability to unlock defenses and add his skill and trickery on the ball to Suarez/Sturridge we could have one of the most unpredictable and exciting front 3 in the EPL.

I'd like to see Borini giving a start considering it's at home - his offensive pressing will force WBA into mistakes hopefully and Downing for me whilst solid in performance you never really feel he goes that extra mile.. He is putting in steady 6/7 performances, but for one of our offensive players he really needs to be a greater threat - most fullbacks show him the outside as they know he wants to cut in and take a shot, he hardly ever beats his man and that is a worry.

Carragher was bullied by Lukaku and I wouldn't want to see a repeat of that, Skrtel has had his time to contemplate his lack of form and should be fired up so should get his chance.

Every other position selects itself based on form.

Reina

Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique

Gerrard Lucas

Borini Henderson Suarez

Sturridge

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2013, 12:40:21 pm »
Great OP Roy.

I think you have highlighted the most important aspect of this game which is the compression of space between defence and midfield. As such I don't think the Suarez Sturridge partnership will be as effective as it was against City. I would like to see a formation more akin to the Arsenal game, with the fullbacks able to push a lot further forward and Sturridge in the middle threatening their back line they should get pushed back pretty deep.

We can then use Suarez and maybe Sterling to come inside and try and get to the line and give cut backs for Henderson and Gerrard running into the box.

Henderson and Gerrard will need to be sharp on the transition to get our shape back as soon as we lose the ball. Carra's reading of the game will also be vital in intercepting the long ball forward before it reaches their attackers.

It will be interesting to see what happens if we get an early goal, will West Brom stick to their gameplan or will they try to chase the game.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2013, 01:17:45 pm »
They will surely be set out defensively to contain us for the expected  early onslaught, with the hope of a breakaway counterattack.  We need to start with our strongest 11 and get at them at full pace from the off. An early goal will settle us to revert to our 'composed' pressing game for the remaining period.

And I hope this time Brendan does bring on 3 subs, and in good time. Fresh legs in the last 15-20 minutes will enable us finish the game strongly.
Doubters to Believers

Offline Resurrected

• No longer active on the forum.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2013, 01:36:38 pm »
I think the single most important thing that i've learned this season is that our performances very much depend on our own state of mind. Too often, the muck cart has followed the lord mayors show. Too often, we've put in good performances against decent teams, only to let ourselves down against lesser sides.

We really need to get our heads down and build on the City game. I'd be expecting us to put our strongest available team out with no experimentation in tactics or formations. Let's go out, do a professional job and collect the 3 points. Don't forget that we turned them over in the cup with a bunch of kids. If we play as we can, work hard to break them down and continue to play good football then we'll have another win. If we go out thinking we're the dogs bollocks and we don't have to try too hard then we could be looking at another Villa game.

Offline Jeffe

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2013, 01:40:10 pm »
I don't like Monday games but I can see the positives on this occasion. Spurs & Arsenal play on Saturday and Everton play on Sunday, so we have an extra day and 2 days of rest compared to them.

Offline LucasLeiva

• Anny Roader
  • Remember My Name
« Reply #15 on: February 6, 2013, 01:40:48 pm »
I would start with the same team that faced City. Everyone fought to earn their place. I expect against big teams the front 3 are more rigid in their positioning so against a team like West Brom I expect Sturridge and Suarez to swap a fair bit from middle to wing. It would also work if Borini/ Coutinho/ Sterling started on the wing over Downing because all 3 could then swap positions but Downing has played well lately and deserves his starting spot. He could swap to the other wing at times though which could make us harder to handle.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 6, 2013, 01:40:49 pm »
Ahhh Boing Boing Baggies! Interestingly they've not won since beating QPR on Boxing Day.

Long and Lukaku are the scoring threats. I wouldn't be surprised to see Odemwingie play a part. Depending on how you look at it if you're a player now on naughtiest of naughty steps playing in a must win match, there is no better way to get back onside by getting a goal or two. Whether he sees it like that is a totally different matter

Working with a Baggies season ticket holder he feels that we will lose. His rationale for this thought is on the basis of how we mentally appear against teams we should beat on paper. Now bar Villa and Oldham we did beat Norwich, Reading, Southampton, Wigan, QPR to name but a few. It's not that we don't have it in us. We most certainly do and you'd like to believe we would impose ourselves at a home fixture and carry on as we played against Norwich.

I look at this match as a perfect barometer for how we've dealt with complacency. I say that with the eyes of someone who saw how we were against Villa and Oldham. Another disciplined approach to this game and we could present a thumping possibly to Steve Clarke and further add to his woes. If we switch off it may be us crying on our way home from the match or putting the remote control through the closest window!

One thing is for certain. On the opening day of the season it was hard enough losing away at the Hawthorns. Seeing this thing though was just plain wrong.

What has been seen cannot be unseen. This is a whole new way of looking at a Baggies bird  :o

Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Real Username: LEGACY
« Reply #17 on: February 6, 2013, 01:53:11 pm »
Really excited for this game everything points to a comfortable victory playing great football however we've been in this position many times in the past and then ended up having performances similar to villa.

We will see whether the players can handle the expectations.

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #18 on: February 6, 2013, 03:18:54 pm »
Liverpool will once again be wearing shirts with the charity "Seeing is Believing" on the front in place of Standard Chartered against West Brom on Monday.

The reds wore the specially produced shirts last season in the 4-1 home win over Chelsea at Anfield.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 6, 2013, 03:50:16 pm »
Sort of have a nagging feeling about this game. We've been playing well since the Oldham game but I fear the Baggies might should up with some confidence having beaten us on opening day. Hopefully this loss motivates the team and we get a resounding win!
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline .Mike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #20 on: February 6, 2013, 04:23:50 pm »
I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about this game due to our good form coming into the game (bar the Oldham game) and West Brom's seemingly complete collapse.  I think Rodgers will go with the same side agaisnt City, but I can see a couple of changes with maybe Allen in for Lucas or Borini in for Downing.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 6, 2013, 04:33:26 pm »
the Steve Clarke factor is the reason not to take this game lightly not that we should do any game also the fact they came here last season and won shows they wont be intimitated
« Last Edit: February 6, 2013, 04:35:20 pm by didi »

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 6, 2013, 04:34:10 pm »
A must win if we want European football. The results at Arsenal and City were better than expected so let's keep it going.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #23 on: February 6, 2013, 04:59:00 pm »
The previous two results were disappointing because our peformances should've produced wins, however, two very tough games and beforehand if I thought we'd get two draws, I'd been reasonably safisified in truth (Man City out gun us and Arsenal at home very rarely results in a win for us).

So overall the two results sit okay with me but only, and that's the rub, we start a winning run and start with the WBA game.

How many times in recent years have we produced good results against the big guns only to draw (and at times lose) to so called lesser teams in the very next game? Too fucking often. Which is a killer for the team and fans and good momentum is thrown away. Previously, this yoyo tendency was explained away as players being up for the big teams while going into the less glamorous matches with the wrong attitude.

This cannot happen in this run-in or we're fucked.

Every game is the cliched cup final, the 'must win', if the team really want to push for fourth place; but even more important to me, to keep our good momentum - if we can keep that going you'd hope the results will take care of themselves for the most part (everton/chelsea/spurs aside - they're tough matches at any time/circumstance).

The postive aspect for me is that in the run up to those two 'crunch' matches we did approach the 'less glamorous' league games with the right attitude and dispatched fulham, norwich and QPR in the fashion you'd hope.

Lose against WBA and we're all going to be deflated, from the team to the fans, and the old 'yoyo tendency with players being up for the big teams while having the wrong attitude towards the less glamorous sides' accusation will again question the mentality and attitude of the players.

I'm not suggesting WBA are a pushover by any means but if we do still harbour any aspirations for fourth place, we have to be beating teams such as these. And in the big picture of things regarding our progress, the same also rings true.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2013, 05:00:34 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 6, 2013, 05:05:51 pm »
Good chance to see how the players have adapted to how Rodgers wants them to play from the opening game to now. Also, unlike the last couple of games, we will see a team set up to nullify us rather than just play their own game.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Online Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #25 on: February 6, 2013, 05:09:57 pm »
The only lack of confidence I have going into this game is that presumably Steve knows our defensive weaknesses better than most. That's Rodgers job to counter, though.
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 6, 2013, 05:10:35 pm »
He drives where he wants
Odemwingie

;D

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 6, 2013, 05:49:30 pm »
I think everyone knows how this game will go. West Brom like nearly all the 'non big team' in the league will come with the easy to coach/train deep block infront of their goal and play on the counter attack with pace and power. And like on most occasions it'll come down to us scoring the early goal to try and make them come out. We played Aston Villa off the park at Anfield for 20 minutes but didn't get the early goal, got hit on the counter and we know what happened. That will always be the danger. The big question will be can we handle their counter attacks? We didn't in the first game but I'd hope we know how to handle it better after working with Rodgers systems for several months.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 6, 2013, 07:07:20 pm »
As much as I'm not a big of the Monday Night Footbll slot, in this instance after a pointless round of midweek internationals I'm glad of it for the extra rest the players will have and the extra time Brendan will have with them prior to what is a crucial game. We need to go on a winning run to build on the positivity and momentum created within the last week, ultimately with the coveted fourth spot (or third ;)) in mind. Big questions/points for me are as follows:

Pepe - needs a clean sheet I think, hopefully with a decent save/take or two thrown in for good measure.

Carra or Skrtel - Carra has been excellent and I think he'll keep his place. Brendan knows the hunt for fourth is on and he clearly trusts him in a pressure environment. If not and Skrtel plays I think the time out will create a positive reaction. I think Skrtel should play but then again I didn't think Carra should start the last two games!

Gerrard - please be available after pointless friendly.

Henderson - looking for another positive performance and hopefully a goal

It won't be easy but I think we'll run out winners by two clear goals on the proviso we press effectively and earn the right to play.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 6, 2013, 07:44:34 pm »
Tis time to put paid to the nonsense that we cant beat a club in the top half of the table.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 6, 2013, 11:08:08 pm »
great preview mate.  i share the same concerns that everyone else has brought up but hopefully with a fit sturridge and johnson in the squad plus everyone starting to click and understand their roles we can do the job.  yes we lost to aston villa at home and the players should be reminded of that but since then our home results have been 4-0 fulham, 3-0 sunderland and 5-0 norwich.  also i really want suarez or sturridge to turn olsson at some stage and make him look like a tool.  i hate olsson with a passion.  he has got to be one of the dirtiest players in the league that fuck stain. 
« Last Edit: February 7, 2013, 12:56:53 am by Gifted Right Foot »

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 6, 2013, 11:25:55 pm »
He drives where he wants
Odemwingie

Just wanted to say that any chant to the tune of Sloop John B is automatically terrible. Make something new for the love of God!

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 6, 2013, 11:39:49 pm »
Well this is a must win, if we are to get back into Europe next year, never-mind the Champions League we need to start converting these 'good performances' into 3 points.

Last 5 home games vs WBA

Liverpool   0 - 1   West Brom
Liverpool   1 - 0   West Brom
Liverpool   3 - 0   West Brom
Liverpool   1 - 0   West Brom
Liverpool   3 - 0   West Brom

Well its been foretold, this game cannot physically be anything other than 1-0 or 3-0, it's just the way of the world.

Offline Reds and Revs

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: February 6, 2013, 11:54:55 pm »
West Brom is dangerous on the counter and set pieces. I hope we're set up to give our 2 center backs protection against Long and Lukaku. They also fight. We'll have to be up for it and no reason we shouldn't be after our history of not closing out and the result first time around.

The other factor is West Brom's systemic cynical interference. Its a fine line between getting a ref's ear and whining. We need to stay on our feet, fight through and remind him every time its done, not just go down easy. It make take some time but cards should come.

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 7, 2013, 12:12:05 am »
Nice OP Roy. I'm in 2 minds about this game being on Monday night. On the one hand it gives us a nice bit of time for players to recover and prepare from the internationals, but then on the other hand, there's not much time between this game and Zenit away. No denying that Carra has played well in his last 3 games, but we did see him struggle against Lukaku's strength and pace earlier in the season, so maybe Skrtel should come back in. No complaints if Carra keeps his place though. Other than that, I can see Coutinho starting from the bench if he's fit. More or less the same team that started against City, and if we're clued in from the start, it should be 3 points for us. I'd go with:

Reina

Johnson
Skrtel/Carra
Agger
Enrique

Lucas
Stevie
Hendo

Downing/Sterling
Sturridge
Suarez

Offline PaLee

• Death by football
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • This is ANFIELD!!!
« Reply #35 on: February 7, 2013, 07:46:59 am »
Need to score first and take the game from there. Hopefully without odemwingie, Mulumbu and Yakub, they will easier opposition.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 7, 2013, 09:45:13 am »
Will be very interesting to see how Steve Clarke approaches this. Liverpool this season have struggled against teams who press them high up the field and really play at a high tempo. On the other hand - they have done well against teams who have sat back, not pressurised the midfield and allowed Liverpool to play the ball around. To date, West Brom have been a very counter attacking team - sitting back, soaking up pressure and then hitting quick balls on the counter to Lukaku, Long and/or Odemwinge. To be honest, if Clarke sets out like this again on Monday I think they could be in for a hammering. Key for them will be if Mulumbu returns, he is a fantastic DM (would love him as a back up / alternative option to Lucas) and with Yacob has formed a decent partnership in their central midfield. This would also allow them to move Brunt out wide which is a more option for them defensively. The other match up that will be interesting is (if he plays) Lukaku vs Carragher. Lukaku is the exact player Carragher hates facing at this stage of his career....

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 7, 2013, 09:52:44 am »
Time for a treat from Sturridge. He's been fantastic and it'd be great for him to have the fans' adoration and chants when he scores. Wouldn't mind seeing a hattrick each from our "SS" strikeforce.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 7, 2013, 01:54:42 pm »
Right time to play them. Opening day was certainly the wrong time. Lukaku is obviously a threat and we can't afford to give him any space or time that Benteke had at Anfield.

See no reason to change our team unless Coutinho is ready in which case ill have him in for Downing who I just feel breaks down our counter attacks.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Adamski LFC

• Kopite
  • Polymath, ... I think not
    • Dash Equestrian
« Reply #39 on: February 7, 2013, 01:56:40 pm »
Shot in the dark this, but what about putting Wisdom at centre back alongside Agger, resting Skrtel for mid week.  His pace, though not electric is quicker by some margin than Skrtel's and with Lucas and Agger to help him out he could help repel the counter attack effectively.  He is also one big unit and will be able to hold a muscular forward in line.  Other than that, Gerrard alongside Lucas, Henderson at point, and Suarez and Downing either side of Sturridge, would be a good fit. 

Sub out Sturridge for Borini, and Henderson for Jonjo on 60.  Gerrard for Allen on 70.

Reina
        Glen, Wisdom, Agger, Enrique
                   Lucas, Gerrard (Allen 60)
Downing, Henderson ( Jonjo 60), Suarez
           Sturridge (Borini 60)

Would also bet that Reina will be super sweeper keeper in goal determined to prove his doubters wrong
Hoping not to embarrass oneself should not be the ultimate aim when posting