Author Topic: Transfer Frustrations  (Read 5272 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Transfer Frustrations
« on: September 2, 2005, 02:41:05 pm »

Transfer Frustrations

I hope Rafa is going to like it at the play. Because when Liverpool face Newcastle this season and beyond, it could very well be a case of “he’s behind you!” For the Reds to escape the inevitable Michael Owen haunting, it’s going to have to take some truly solid defending, and a quick call to Ghostbusters.

I will not lie; this week has really tested my faith in Rafa (yes, the man who brought home number 5). How could we pass up the opportunity of signing a player who will score us 100 goals over 5 seasons? Was it a case of Benítez having to swallow his pride? Either that or he truly did/does believe that the current players do the job.

Following the hysteria, I had to fix my television set, bandage myself up after the knee-jerk reaction, and come to my senses. Had I really been so uncertain of the smiling assassin? After all, he's only just brought home a big-eared cup that, even long after he’s gone we’ll still all be talking about.

I admit that I was out of order. But it has to be remembered that most of the criticism thrown around by Liverpool fans was out of sheer frustration.

Was this the same man who was pictured in Papa Joe’s Biersalon with Liverpool fans, the same man whose face was turned into the Rafatollah in Cardiff? You would have thought he was some impostor who had come in, labelled the Scouse pie as inedible and given the V-sign to The Kop.

Some fans will continue to criticise the manager's decision for as long as Michael Owen is scoring goals for Newcastle. But ultimately was it really feasible to sell a player for £8m and then buy him back for double that fee a year later? To Rafa it wasn't, obviously: "When we spoke to Madrid, they only ever talked about £16m. We couldn't spend that much money on a player we sold for £8m." Hit. Nail. Head. Complain all you wish, but at the end of the day Michael Owen would have been a pleasure, not a priority. The main concerns were bringing in a centre back and a right-sided winger.

In my opinion, we do have sufficient cover in these areas - Benitez made a lot of how versatile players are imperative for any squad, and we have the likes of Traore and Josemi who can fill in the void at centre half, and Garcia, Potter and even Mr. Gerrard for the right hand side of our midfield.

Wednesday was deadline day and, as ever, nobody knew what to expect. Following the disappointment over Michael Owen, many believed that Rafa would pull out all stops to try and pull a rabbit out of the hat. It was a game of cat and mouse Tom and Jerry-style between Liverpool and Benfica - Simao Sabrosa was the name on the agenda. It was a frantic case of "who do you believe most?" Some sources claimed he'd passed his medical in Portugal, others that he was on Merseyside and was on the verge of becoming a Liverpool player, yet more claimed that the deal had broken down. The latter were correct, unfortunately. Benfica upped the ante and asked for £13.6m at the last minute, whereas Liverpool stood firm with their final offer of £10.2m.

That failed deal epitomised our entire transfer dealings to a tee: frustrating. Even the player himself, who was Benfica's top scorer last season, was hoping for the move, "The decision is exclusively Benfica's," said Simao. "An offer from the European champions is enormous for any player."

To rub salt in the proverbial wound, Newcastle United pipped Liverpool to another transfer target - Peruvian winger Nolberto Solano. Both players who made the switch to Newcastle had previously stated their interest in coming to play for the European Champions. As we now know, neither players pleas became reality. It almost seemed as if Rafa and the board was trying to hurry any kind of deal through just the please the fans. A deal for Daniele Bonera of Parma, another Liverpool target, never materialised.

Rick Parry speaking yesterday at a press conference reflected upon Liverpool's activities in the transfer market, "Have we got a better squad to do well in all competitions this season? Rafa's answer to this is yes." When all's said and done, that is the only thing of importance. It's already becoming a cliche, but one of which sums up my feelings right now: 'In Rafa we trust.'

Arguably, the first team is not much, if at all, stronger. Sissoko is a better player than Diao, but should we have the same sort of injury crisis as the last two years, can he replace both Diao and Biscan? Perhaps not, but then again, we now have the versatility of former Middlesbrough Dutch star Bolo Zenden - a player who can operate on the left wing, play in at left back, slot in behind the strikers or, as he did on the opening day of the season, fit in at the heart of team in the centre. We also have goalkeeper Pepe Reina, who recently turned 23. From what little I have seen, and looking back at his impressive records from the SpanishLa Liga, Rafa has spent some smart money on him. And finally there is 6 foot 8" of Peter Crouch - recently given his first England cap and a player that scored more goals last season in the league than our own top scorer, Milan Baros, but without the service of the likes of Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso etc.

When your side is linked to the likes of Raul, Owen, Figo etc, you have every right as a fan to be slightly miffed when you don't get them, and instead get players whose names wouldn't get the blood pumping. Yet these less glamorous players are the ones Rafa wanted, and these are players who will give 100% every game. Besides, and as much as it pains me to say, Fernando Morientes is a classic example of how a "big name signing" doesn't always work out.

The team might not be much stronger, but the squad is. At the beginning of last season, Benitez stated: "It's not just about 11 or 12 players anymore and over the next few months it's possible we could lose more players to injury, especially with the international games that are coming up." A year on, and he's stuck to his word. Bolstering the reserve and youth side was at the top of his "to do" list and with signings of Besian Idrizaj, Ramon Calliste this week, on top of the acquistions of Godwin Antwi, Miquel Roque, Jack Hobbs and the player that won the reserve match against West Brom on Tueday, Antonio Barragan.

As Rafa said, "You shouldn't just buy players to go straight in your first team". Arsene Wenger's Arsenal are the best example of a club who have bolstered their youth system recently with positive effects on the first team. What it ensures is the standard of the squad rises, and the battle for a place in the first, senior side is more difficult. Although "Benitez's babes" impressed in the Carling Cup last season, the reserve side and U18s struggled last season, scraping around the wrong end of their respective tables, and Benitez clearly saw the need to act on this.

Rafa also spoke today of how his new scouting system is working tirelessly in order to "raise the bar" for the entire squad: "We have changed the entire scouting system and replaced some of the old scouts," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv. "We now have scouts working tirelessly on our behalf right around the world and we have situated these in what we believe to be the most important countries." It seems that for the first time in ages we are taking scouting seriously, and whilst most fans won't be too concerned about anything besides the senior side, it is important to let the "regulars" know that their position isn't set in stone.

Although this week will be seen as irritating for lots of fans, we must get behind the players we have currently and put faith in Rafa.

© Garstonite 2005
« Last Edit: November 5, 2005, 12:32:04 pm by Garstonite »

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Transfer Frustrations
« Reply #1 on: September 2, 2005, 03:10:39 pm »
Excellent mate - a well thought and considered opinion to the last week.

I think the last week has shown that Rafa is not willing to be held to ransom. He, like us, would obviously have liked to have seen some big names arrive, but he has also mentioned that he won the title one year with Valencia having not signed a soul the previous summer.

Sissoko looks like a good signing, albeit in an area I didn't think needed strengthening, although the more I think about it the more it makes sense. He seems to prefer to solid midfielders you can pass, tackle, and initiate moves (Xabi and Sissoko) to play behind a roving, driving player (Gerrard). With Hamann as another alternative there, along with the likes of Zenden as you mention we look fine there. The flanks are still a bit of a concern, and although I think both he and us would prefer out and out wingers, for the time being we have enough players who can "fill in". Whether this will be good enough remains to be seen, but this is a time for the likes of Potter (who I don't think is a right sided player) and FSP to make a position their own.

I am concerned about the centre back position, but believe that Whitbread has a great deal of potential. I think he'd thrive next to Carra if Sami were to become injured at all. I have less confidence in Josemi unfortunately, but he filled in excellently against Sofia at home.

Time will tell if our inability to sign anyone to go straight into the first team will affect us.
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #2 on: September 2, 2005, 03:20:57 pm »
Just sat down to have my lunch, as its busy in work, at my desk. Hoped beyond hope that someone would have done a cracking article to read through rather than pages of mindless speculation and hey presto here it is!

Cheers Garstonite, another cracker!  :wave
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 2, 2005, 03:52:30 pm »
Good read.

I think if Kewell can revive his career and we get one or two good signings in January we could have a fantastic season.

Maybe Crouch will be a big hit. He sure is a gamble.

Anyway, thanks for the read.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #4 on: September 2, 2005, 04:24:56 pm »
good solid read that, took out a couple of tv's myself on wednesday

of the televisual variety rather than ladyboys before anyone asks
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #5 on: September 2, 2005, 06:24:31 pm »
Excellent read.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline jim_lad

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Friday Fill: Transfer Frustrations
« Reply #6 on: September 2, 2005, 08:04:58 pm »
An excellent post, pretty much sums up how I've been feeling. Rafa seems to still be very much building a team for the future and the scouting changes seem to highlight this.

Like many others I was frustrated at the lack of signings at this transfer window, particularly given our lack of player who can easily beat a man out wide. I think it would have been a little more forgivable had he not repeated the centre back right midfielder refrain quite so many time in an attempt to repel questions about owen. Obviously he wanted to deflect attention from the owen issue, but by specifying these positions so clearly he made it even more frustrating for the fans. Not getting owen would surely have been easier to take if he HAD actually landed a centre back and right midfielder.

But circumstances went against him and he refused to pay over the odds for players (though 13mill for simao is probably not a total rip off IMHO...).

We are a marginally stronger team now than we were last season in terms of personel and some of the new players from other countries will have had more time to adapt to the english league as Rafa will have had himself. I think we will be able to compete and am looking forward to the rest of the season.

Who knows what january will bring!

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 3, 2005, 12:30:19 am »
Good read. Will certainly help many of the knee-jerkers out there to calm down and bring them to their senses (hopefully they have some). No doubt most of us would have like things to pan out differently and were disappointed that they did not happen. But we need to get over the disappointment quickly and look on the bright side. Rafa is with us for the long haul and he has done nothing for us to lose faith in him.

This is not a case of Rafa asking for couch but got a lamp (or whatever) but it's more of case of trying to get value for money. Rafa didn't buy superstars in Valencia. He turned them into superstars. Even Aimar - he was an upstart, with huge upsides (just like Baros when we bought him) but certainly was not a superstar when Valencia got him from River (or Boca?). The same applies to Vicente, Mista and Baraja.

Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #8 on: September 3, 2005, 12:15:04 pm »
"Have we got a better squad to do well in all competitions this season? Rafa's answer to this is yes."

That is not the real question. We all knew the answer to that was 'yes'.

This is a better question-

'Have the summer dealings met the expectations of the supporters in eradicating key weaknesses in the first-team squad?'

Perhaps the answer to that would be 'no.'

Other more important questions-

'Have we shown ambition in the face of other clubs like Tottenham and Newcastle strengthening greatly?'

You may say that those teams required more strenthening in the first place. Yes, but what are their aims and what ours?

Ours to challenge for second or third, and to eventually challenge for the titles. Those two teams would be happy with a UEFA Cup place.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2005, 01:01:44 pm by HIRA »
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back; a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
- Anais Nin

http://theliverbird.blogspot.com/

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 4, 2005, 06:18:22 am »
We see the other side of Rafa early in the season, just one of the many "habits of a highly effective manager", to steal Stephen Covey's phrase. He is a prudent manager. Yes, the likes of Newcastle can spend heavily on signings which could miraculously win them a silverware this season (albeit a minor one) or see them plunge down from dreamland so fast and hard that without doubt will see another manager bite the dust. One can't help but feel that the latter is the more likely scenario. Of course, Newcastle is a massive club and will not suffer the same financial crisis as Leeds.

Rafa, on the other hand, knows what value each player carries and will not break to bank just to appease the lot of us whom lately have been spoilt by the unexpected success last season.
Buying a player for twice as much as what we sold him for a season ago is bad business. I do dabble a little in the stockmarket and one simple rule is buy low and sell high.
Don't get me wrong. I love Michael Owen. I love the highly talented player he is. I love the way he carries about his football so professionally without the fuss and fanfare. I would have loved to see Owen back in the fold. But paying twice more than what we got for him is just robbing the funds which should have been used to strengthen other parts of the squad.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #10 on: September 5, 2005, 06:31:31 am »
"Have we got a better squad to do well in all competitions this season? Rafa's answer to this is yes."

That is not the real question. We all knew the answer to that was 'yes'.

This is a better question-

'Have the summer dealings met the expectations of the supporters in eradicating key weaknesses in the first-team squad?'

Perhaps the answer to that would be 'no.'

Other more important questions-

'Have we shown ambition in the face of other clubs like Tottenham and Newcastle strengthening greatly?'

You may say that those teams required more strenthening in the first place. Yes, but what are their aims and what ours?

Ours to challenge for second or third, and to eventually challenge for the titles. Those two teams would be happy with a UEFA Cup place.
Not sure why your "better question" is a better question.  It is a different question, to which even Rafa, in his heart of hearts would have the same response as yours.  The first question goes one step beyond, i.e. despite not strengthing in the way we wanted to, are we  a better competitive team.  Given the players who have left and the ones we have brought in, my answer would be the same as Rafa's.

Reina - plus (as compared to Dudek)
Sissoko - plus (as compared to Biscan/Diao)
Crouch - jury's out, probably a plus as compared to Milan in terms of number of goals
Zenden - Season not sparked yet but has proven Premiership ability (as compared to Biscan/Diao)

As for your third question, I feel the objective for Spurs/Toon is the same as for us - to become a better team this season than last.  I think we will be, and our final league position my well be a pleasant surprise to one or two of us but the true results of what Rafa is doing are aimed at coming to fruit next season or the one after.  Financially, we are not capable of  buying success like Chelsea has financially and in terms of the tradition and culture of the club, I don't think we would like to do it like that either.  Cheers.

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!
« Reply #11 on: September 5, 2005, 09:03:58 am »
Excellent article. I am in full agreememt with it.

I am actually pleased to see that Rafa doesn't budge on what he believes to be the value of a player. I believe that in the long term clubs will know that when Rafa says 8 million then that is the offer, no ridiculous 24 million or in Owen's case 17 million for a player that is not a priority position.

Clubs will know in the future that Rafa's last offer is just that.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #12 on: September 7, 2005, 11:42:04 am »
Keep them coming Garstonite.

I'm really glad that we have Rafa at the helm. His depth of knowledge in the field of football is becoming more and more evident, with inspiring dedication and commitment. He's building a team of competent, hungry and motivated players who will complement each other. He's not going to let anything compromise what he's building.

I think getting 'star' players would have disrupted his rebuilding as there would be airs about them, and they would probably expect some sort of 'special' treatment, thus alienating themselves from the rest of the squad. Thats exactly what Rafa DOES NOT want. He wants EACH player to be an equal part of his squad.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2005, 11:46:43 am by Red-juvenated »
Doubters to Believers

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 7, 2005, 12:50:14 pm »
The bottom line is that we are not interested in quick fixes, Souness did that with Dicks, Stewart and Saunders etc,)and look where that got us. Rafa will only buy a player at his price and people will get the message that we can't be hijacked into paying extortionate money, ultimately that will be to our benefit.

The team and the squad are both stronger albeit it would have been nice to have a "game breaking winger" or first team centre back. However, by waiting til January Rafa can see once and for all if there's a footballer left in Harry Kewell. If he fails again then really we are in the market for both left and right winger and perhaps Vicente becomes a viable option. A player very much like Kewell at his best.

Moreover, perhaps Whitbread can sieze an opportunity to become the cover centre back and then even when Lugano or whoever comes in Jan, we can off load a Traore or Josemi and take a million and a half back in.

After all, who would have said Warnock would achieve what he has done 2 years ago ? One of the big problems under GH is that we were paying 5m quid for "B rated" squad players like Diao/Cheyrou who were no better than the kids (Welsh/Potter etc). The kids must be allowed to fill up the squad and allow Rafa to spend our limited funds on quality we cannot produce.

Our manager is "the man" and so long as he remains happy then we should all be likewise. He builds a club long term (whilst picking up Euro Cups in the process as a nice little bonus).

Any criticism of him not re-signing Owen is quite frankly ridiculous. Owen shafted us a year ago, deliberately stalled his contract negotiations so his fee would fall and left us high and dry and a striker short in August 04. He woud have laughed at the prospect of us winning the Euro Cup back then and then a year later, having played hard ball with us for 18 months with his contract ("my agents away on holiday", "I'm looking for success" etc) he folds before Madrid and signs for a joke club. If he was that bothered about coming back to Anfield he would have dug his heels in with madrid as he did with us previously. What happened to needing Champs League football ?

No, all Michael Owen really cares about is his England career (which is why he wouldn't wait) and himself. That's fine but we shouldn't let him create a wedge between ussupporters and our Club. Rafa is worth 50 of him.

In Rafa We Trust and let no-one even question that.

Offline jem

• Kemlynite
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 12:06:03 pm »
I havn't posted too many times here but have read and enjoyed for quite a while.
I have to say I am geting a little tired of the Ml. Owen story going on an on.
I will give my 2 cent worth- He is a world class striker, He is worth 15/16 mil , had he come for sale but hadnt ever played for Liverpool everyone here would have said they wanted him, the 8 mil was irrelevent, the only questionswas or should have been - what is he worth now, what will he add to the team, will we finish highter up the table with him as opposed not having him. the 8 mil doesn't matter.
This is where Im feel that rafa rick ete cocked up this summer.
This was the summer that liverpool should have moved up a major gear. as ECup winners we had a chance to buy quality players and make a major step up the league, we didnt do that. IF we were interested in Figo for free 2m shouldnt have stoped us buying him(haggle hard but dont cut off your nose to spite your face) Likewise any of the many defenders we were linked with.Dont talk about it do it. All the talk of we only want a right mid and centre back was counter productive, increasing prices etc
I have to say to date Rafa's signings have been hit and miss.
josemi- 4/10
Alonso- 9/10 total sucess pure class
nunez - 2/10 flop
garcia- 6/10 fair, some very good some very poor
Mori-  5/10 hasnt played well but should come good
the new signings:

Zenden lets be honest a journeyman pro, releases by Chelsea ,
crouch have grave doubts if he is worth 7 mil, surely if we heeded someone who could head the ball we had mori.
Renia looks ok would have spent the money on a proven p/ship & international keeper- shay given.
the young lads We will have to wait and see.
Are we much stronger this year than at the end of last season I would say not a lot and that is a major worry. we were a long , long way back last year, we needed a major boost and we havn't had it so I am worried .
I am strongly of the opinion that rafa wanted to take the 35m for sg( I would have as well) I think he had all that money spent in his head and we would have made that big move upwards.

Offline Jonno83

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 01:49:37 am »
excellent article garstonite
We will rise again...

Offline Darren Page1

• Kopite
  • OH Jimmy, Jimmy, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jimmy, Jimmy Case
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 03:11:45 pm »
Good article (again mate) and while im trying to stay away from the "i agree" posts--this one deserves an "i agree"  couldnt add much else

Offline Jonno83

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 10:35:22 pm »
good article mate
We will rise again...