Author Topic: The Liverpool Way  (Read 25050 times)

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
  • I think my F5 has gone weird
    • The Who Boys
The Liverpool Way
« on: October 22, 2010, 07:43:34 pm »
What is it?  Lots of posts recently keep reciting it as a mantra, but it seems there are varying interpretations of it.  I think stating our definition of what it means to us would help focus the debate about Hodgson, etc.

Let me know if even bringing this up is not The Liverpool Way, though.  :P

My one-sentence definition is:

"Always trying to win with aggressive, attractive football; having respect at all times for those that wear the shirt, while holding them accountable for the responsibility that comes with it; and having the utmost reverence for the game and the history of the club and its traditions, in sport and in life."

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:35:34 pm by bclfc »
"If people trust and love you, you will never walk alone." - Philippos

Quote from: shanklyboy on April  3, 2006, 12:04:44 AM

IF YOU'RE EVER SKINT ROMAN
          WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
Re: The Liverpool Way
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 07:50:56 pm »
I know what it isn't, and that's requesting if all of Anfield can chant '*managers name* OUT!' to get him the sack.
Anyone who suggested shit like that is an embarrassment to the club.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Free Kuyt

• Anny Roader
  • Freak out
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 07:55:14 pm »
A tried and trusted and idealistic approach to supporting a football club which causes confusion and introspection in the face of a manager appointed by a pair of leveraged buyout chancers.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 07:57:33 pm »
Best post I have on the subject recently:

On the Money as usual Fats,

Especially the bits about the Liverpool Way, I remember donkey's years ago Peter Robinson being asked why Liverpool never sack their managers and why they get so much support. He said Liverpool was built on collective responsibility. He said we all share the praise in the good times and when things go wrong it's everyone's fault not just the managers.

That was the very essence of the Bootroom and the philosophy that permeated from the boardroom to the terraces. If things weren't going right look at yourself first and see if there is anything more YOU can do before you start pointing the finger at your colleagues and looking for scapegoat's.

Anytime a manager or a player picked up a personnel award it was customary not to take the limelight but to heap praise on the people who helped you get there. Like wise when things went wrong you closed rank and supported each other.

Rafa got that, he didn't want the praise for anything, everything that any individual won was as a result of the team. Everything he said was prefaced with US and WE. If things went well it was because of the TEAM, if things went wrong then WE all had to work harder to put things right.

Compare that to Roy He won the LMA Manager of the year award, it is HIS tactics that have made HIM one of the SELF appointed most respected Coaches in Europe. He was very willing to accept all the personal praise last season but from day one at Liverpool he has sought to pass the buck.

Everything from the quality of the players he inherited, the fans protesting against the Yanks, Reina not being an English enough keeper, Lucas being Lazy, Masch being homesick, Sammy Lee not being a good enough Coach, Torres not being Carlton Cole, the expectation of the Club and now the internet forums have been used to absolve Roy of any blame.

That is why I have no problem whatsoever calling for your head because at no stage whatsoever have you ever tried to become part of OUR Club, right from the start you put your friendship with Ferguson a man who's sole intention is to knock US of OUR fucking perch above the good of the Club.

You should of realised you had the chance to join a family, a special Club that takes people to it's heart and backs them to the hilt. Sadly YOU just saw us as just another notch on your managerial bedpost on the way to the England job.

That is the reason you are not being backed YOU were never OUR manager in the first place YOU just came here to tread water and Coach until the England job became available. Sadly for you your xenophobic bigoted chums in the media haven't been able to see off the nasty foreigner for you and there is no job for you to jump into it.

Take a hard look in the mirror ask yourself if there is anymore you can do, stop blaming everyone around you and when you come to the inevitable conclusion do the decent thing.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• custom title thread lurker - easily amused
  • Legacy Fan
  • through the wind and rain (and fog)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:58:11 pm »
A secular dogma in which supporters of LFC may or may not subscribe to; pertaining to ideas and idealisms routed in fairness, loyalty and support.

Offline dannymc

• Wannabee RAWK dogger
  • Legacy Fan
  • Any spares
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 07:59:38 pm »
its dead
If he scores more goals than Torres this season ill change me name to Carol.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• custom title thread lurker - easily amused
  • Legacy Fan
  • through the wind and rain (and fog)
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 08:01:44 pm »

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:05:46 pm »
Dec 1 2009

At 75, Ronnie Moran is the last surviving member of Liverpool's original Boot Room Boys.

Asked by Bill Shankly to take charge of the youth team when his playing days at Anfield were up, Moran was a permanent fixture in the room beneath the Main Stand.

It is the stuff of legend in football circles, an idea says Moran, that was conceived by Shankly and embraced by his trusted lieutenants, Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan.

“Initially Joe and Bob had all their kit in a room that was right down towards the Anfield Road end.

“They started that off as the first Boot Room I suppose. It wasn't an official boot room but that's where the idea came from. It was full of old kit and you had to knock at the door to get in there. It wasn't a big room but you'd sometimes get about 20 to 30 people in there.

“It was a place where people could go and have a good natter. I was in there a lot from when I hung up my boots and started working with the kids.

“Fellas like Reuben Bennett and Tom Saunders would come in occasionally but the original Boot Room was mainly the three of us; Joe, Bob and myself, plus whoever would come in after games.”

After Shankly through to Roy Evans it was pretty much a pre-requisite for the Liverpool manager to have learned his trade under the traditions of the Boot Room. It was perceived as the nerve centre of the club where the so-called Liverpool Way was formulated by those privy to the mysterious goings on that took place within its four walls.

Moran remembers it as a much simpler place, however.

Although Shankly was instrumental in its foundation, the myth of him holding court in the Boot Room, hatching plans for domestic and European domination is quickly dispelled.

“It always gets mentioned with Shanks in mind,” says Moran. “He brought the Boot Room to the club but he didn't actually come in too often after games.

“Even during the week, he'd take people into his office while a few of us would be in the Boot Room.

“Shanks would come in now and again but never after games. Myself, Joe and Bob would always be in there though, even during the week after training. You'd have your lunch and do a bit of work, sorting the kits or whatever. Then we'd sit down and have a natter.”

The Boot Room also became the venue for a post-match drink, a kind of unofficial hospitality lounge, only much smaller. It was a gesture that soon caught on in the game.

“No matter how a match went or what the result, we'd always invite visiting staff to come and have drink in the Boot Room before they left.

“They'd always come down. I remember Cloughie (Brian) being in there a couple of times.

“We used to have all the kit bags in there. They were big straw things back then. Cloughie came in and sat on one of them just listening to what was going on, taking it all in.

“It was like a ritual after each game. Once Joe and Bob started it up, it began happening at most clubs. They may not have had a Boot Room as such but there'd always be somewhere to go after the game. Soon enough, wherever we went people would be asking us in for a drink before we travelled.”

When Anfield was redeveloped in the early ‘90s, the famous Boot Room made way for a new press room to cater for increased media demands.

To many it was a travesty.

What isn't widely known though is that a new Boot Room was created just a few feet across the corridor.

Under the auspices of current assistant manager, Sammy Lee, the spirit lives on. What's more, you're still likely to find Moran in there.

“Since he came back a few years ago Sammy has asked me to look after the Boot Room when I'm at Anfield for a match,” smiles Moran.

“It's great Sammy has kept it going. You need a pass now to get anywhere but Sammy has sorted me out with one.

“You'll still get managers and staff coming in there before and after games. I caught up with Alex Ferguson and Bobby Charlton in there.”

“As they approached the Boot Room I started joking about, bowing to them and saying 'Good afternoon Sirs.' They were having none of it. We had a cup of tea and a good catch up, talking football and what not.”

Just like the old days, he might say.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/shankly/stories/2009/12/01/ronnie-moran-the-last-of-bill-shankly-s-original-bootroom-boys-100252-25290962/1/

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:27:00 pm by Barney_Rubble »
87:13

Offline Ziggy09

• Kopite
  • No Retreat, No Surrender
    • KZFLP - Health & Skincare
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 08:09:24 pm »
For me, Id say the Liverpool way is simple - its to win trophies, over and over again with a certain style but mainly through hardwork, and a great team spirit that shows dignity and humbleness

.......no arrogance or statements like we are the "special ones". It may be dead for now, but it will be revived!
Roll up you sleeves and start to dance boys, for happiness is rare in a poor man's life!

Dedication. Determination. Perfection.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 08:11:19 pm »
Seeing as Barney decided to lock the other thread (why?), I posted this there as he locked it...

-----

As sad as it is that people have not taken to Roy, or have seen fit to not think he's the man for us anymore after only 8 games (me), I do agree that at the same time, some of the stuff that gets trotted out by some in here is so far removed from what we, as fans, used to be like.

At the same time some people say that Rafa upheld everything that we stood for as a club, he 'got' us, i.e., he understood the 'Liverpool' way of doing things and fought for the fans, they casually suggest chanting HODGSON OUT! at the next match at Anfield, and what can we do to get him out of the club?! Which is so far removed from what a Liverpool fan should be about.

And so far removed from this mystical way of doing things we have that Rafa is supposed to have upheld. I DO think Rafa understood this club, understood it's history and it's way of doing things from the past, but at the same time some fans who like to remind us he did are doing the exact opposite of what he is supposed to have stood up for.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 08:12:31 pm »
And I had just finished writing a whole post for that thread as well :(

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 08:12:33 pm »
Great man is Ronnie. One the of the understated heroes of our glory years. Liverpool was his life and he made sure all the big stars knew it. He'd eat this lot alive. Never understood why people like that, with all their knowledge and experience, were never found roles within the club. When Houllier came in it seemed like he just wanted to sever ties with the past.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Runehammer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 08:15:11 pm »

Yep, I think Al nailed TLW succinctly with Peter Robinson's "collective responsibility" sums it up for me and I hope it is dormant rather than dead, sooner we get back to it the better and, as the rest of the post goes, saying enough is enough regarding Roy is NOT against it at all.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 08:18:05 pm »
Don't exactly know - but I'm 100% sure it's better than Roy's way!

Would guess at keeping dealings / decisions / problems behind closed doors. Working 100% committed to the cause, thinking of the 'people' (fans) & approaching everything ethically and morally correct.

As much as I'd love a new manager with vision, pride and integrity, so far NESV seem to be doing things well. Early days but, fingers crossed, we'll be ok with John and his crewe.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 08:18:42 pm »

yep got to agree with that
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 08:19:02 pm »
its dead

No it isn't. It's knowing how to behave in any given situation. Some of us adhere to it better than others. There is no such thing as a Liverpool fan who hasn't acted in a manner unbecoming of 'The Liverpool Way' at some stage. I have, plenty of times. So have you. It is an ideal impossible to live up to, we can only do our best.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 08:20:38 pm »
The Liverpool Way seemed to be promoting from within.
Quietly winning trophies with humility.
Always putting the club ahead of individuals.
Not washing your dirty laundry in public.

I think football has changed so much, that it's fairly impossible to uphold these ideals anymore. The media won't let you and internet forums will scrutinise every inch of information that will come out of the club. I might hark back to the 70's and wish football was more like that now, but things have moved on, along with the Liverpool Way..

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 08:20:46 pm »
Seeing as Barney decided to lock the other thread (why?)

I'd say it's pretty much run it's course. Apart from that, a lot of people seemed to be posting not even having bothered to read the OP.

Bound to be another one along soon though, innit.

Offline Redeye

• Kopite
  • 31/1/59 Sunderland 3-1 Wheeler Bimpson Morris
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 08:21:59 pm »
Great man is Ronnie. One the of the understated heroes of our glory years. Liverpool was his life and he made sure all the big stars knew it. He'd eat this lot alive. Never understood why people like that, with all their knowledge and experience, were never found roles within the club. When Houllier came in it seemed like he just wanted to sever ties with the past.

I think Ronnie retired during the Souness years. I'm sure I read somewhere he's still at Melwood most days, knocking about. Didn't Carra say he's introduced some of the present day players to him? Good to see he's still in the new bootroom on matchdays!
"Everybody at Anfield hopes that in the not too distant future Bill Shankly will lead the club back to the First Division - and also to a Cup Final victory."

Offline LFC96

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 08:23:35 pm »
Liverpool Way - Win.

I agree that fans should not turn on their own (manager), but in my opinion Roy is the worst manager i have ever seen in charge of Liverpool, by far (and yes i say this after only 15 or so games). He is a low grade manager.  Which brings me to my next 'Liverpool Way' - bring in the best, and if we've got the worst, get rid, and if the worst chooses not to go in a 'mutual' sense, then a lil nudge never hurt.

It is defo not the 'Liverpool Way' to play in League 2 (championship)

To summarize - Roy is definitely the opposite of the 'Liverpool Way'

Offline Redeye

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 08:24:33 pm »
The Liverpool Way seemed to be promoting from within.
Quietly winning trophies with humility.
Always putting the club ahead of individuals.
Not washing your dirty laundry in public.

I think football has changed so much, that it's fairly impossible to uphold these ideals anymore. The media won't let you and internet forums will scrutinise every inch of information that will come out of the club. I might hark back to the 70's and wish football was more like that now, but things have moved on, along with the Liverpool Way..

Why have things moved on?

Winning with humility.

No individual greater...

Keeping problems in-house.

They're as important today as they ever were.
"Everybody at Anfield hopes that in the not too distant future Bill Shankly will lead the club back to the First Division - and also to a Cup Final victory."

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 08:25:03 pm »
It beggars belief that some so called Liverpool fans would post in a thread about the Liverpool way with the shite they have... (now deleted). Irony at its most poignant.

The way I hope is an understanding and unity that binds fan, player, manager and club together.

That has been shattered in recent years so who's surprised that some of our 'fans' seem to think booing, insults and pettiness is appropriate.

The Liverpool way isn't a style of football, we won ugly in the 80's you know, its not a sentimental yesteryear of some arl arse, its a living breathing connection and sense of community and mutual need between club and fan, player and manager. We applaud the opposition goalie, we never boo old players and we keep our woes in house.

It would do many of us a great deal of good to remember that. Including ex owners, certain players and yes some managers.
Yep.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 08:25:36 pm »
I'd say it's pretty much run it's course. Apart from that, a lot of people seemed to be posting not even having bothered to read the OP.

Fair enough, it was getting like that I agree mate.

Offline Redeye

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 08:26:25 pm »

I agree that fans should not turn on their own (manager),

Good. Let's leave it there.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 08:26:49 pm »
How does one resolve any supposed Liverpool Way about supporting the manager when every rational bit of footballing knowledge in your brain tells you that he is not up to the job and will never be?

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 08:27:27 pm »
It beggars belief that some so called Liverpool fans would post in here with the shite they have... (now deleted).

The way I hope is an understanding and unity that binds fan, player, manager and club together.

That has been shattered in recent years so who's surprised that some of our 'fans' seem to think booing, insults and pettiness is appropriate.

The Liverpool way isn't a style of football, we won ugly in the 80's you know, its not a sentimental yesteryear of some arl arse, its a living breathing connection and sense of community and mutual need between club and fan, player and manager. We applaud the opposition goalie, we never boo old players and we keep our woes in house.

It would do many of us a great deal of good to remember that. Including ex owners, certain players and yes some managers.

Sums it up for me in a short but spot on way.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 08:28:57 pm »

That post is from December last year, with Ronnie at 75 years old and long since retired, but even so he was doing exactly that

“Since he came back a few years ago Sammy has asked me to look after the Boot Room when I'm at Anfield for a match,” smiles Moran.

“It's great Sammy has kept it going. You need a pass now to get anywhere but Sammy has sorted me out with one.

Might not seem much to anyone else, but you probably couldn't have found him a more satisfying "role" than that.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 08:32:13 pm »
How does one resolve any supposed Liverpool Way about supporting the manager when every rational bit of footballing knowledge in your brain tells you that he is not up to the job and will never be?

If you think that way, fair enough, but there are better ways of showing it than some of the suggestions in here. The call to arms of chanting 'Hodgson OUT!' as one at Anfield on Sunday. It's embarrassing no matter what you think of the man. The Liverpool Way to me isn't about supporting him even if he's not up to it, surely it's about how to behave if he's clearly not the man for the job? It's about being knowledgable and fair, but at the same time not being blind to shortcomings. Again, Hodgson as an example, even IF you think he's awful, there is a way to behave, a way we've always behaved as fans, and so many people are suggesting behaviour that would embarrass a Millwall fan.

Upholding any kind of Liverpool Way doesn't mean you have to abandon it when the manager is shite. Did we all abandon it when Souness was in charge? No. Just like we shouldn't now. The more 'fans' that peddle the above about 'how to get rid of the manager' the more we lose any connection with what made us different.

I seem to remember people slaughtering and laughing at Newcastle fans when Allardyce was in charge for singing 'you don't know what you're doing!' at him, and fans in here have suggested far worse lately. Small time, pathetic stuff.

So I don't think the Liverpool Way, as fans, has anything to do with how bad we think the manager is. We can dislike him without resorting to pathetic behaviour surely?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:45:11 pm by Paul JH »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 08:32:41 pm »
That's a wonderful story Barney.
Yep.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 08:32:44 pm »
This posted by Raoul Duke in the "owners are not stupid" thread sums up a lot of where we ought to be now:

This is the crux of my point. We need to slow down from all the fuss of the protesting. The mentality of wanting it sorted, right this instant; that was applicable to the ownership situation and the debt because it directly and aggressively jeopardised the club. We have to return to a more stable mindset, and look towards the future. A bit of trust.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 08:33:08 pm »
Why have things moved on?

Winning with humility.

No individual greater...

Keeping problems in-house.

They're as important today as they ever were.

I suppose what's changed the most is the media spotlight. 24 hour television news and internet coverage. Let's face it, the way we handled the Hicks and Gillett boardroom ousting, wasn't the Liverpool Way (even though Broughton handled it brilliantly). It would have been impossible to keep that "in house" in today's media intensive climate.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2010, 08:37:00 pm »

Two and two has never equalled five, has it?

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 08:38:03 pm »
Misses the point entirely though surely? If you think that way, fair enough, but there are better ways of showing it than some of the suggestions in here. The call to arms of chanting 'Hodgson OUT!' as one at Anfield on Sunday. It's embarrassing no matter what you think of the man.

Upholding any kind of Liverpool Way doesn't mean you have to abandon it when the manager is shite. Did we all abandon it when Souness was in charge? No. Just like we shouldn't now. The more 'fans' that peddle the above about 'how to get rid of the manager' the more we lose any connection with what made us different.

I seem to remember people slaughtering and laughing at Newcastle fans when Allardyce was in charge for singing 'you don't know what you're doing!' at him, and fans in here have suggested far worse lately. Small time, pathetic stuff.

So I don't think the Liverpool Way, as fans, has anything to do with how bad we think the manager is. We can dislike him without resorting to pathetic behaviour surely?
I think you will see that I don't trade in insults and I would never boo at the match. I do however reserve the right to criticise what I see and suggest that it would be in the best interests of the club and dare I say it, the Liverpool Way if we got a manager would willingly got our respect and did his own bit to bring the players fans and himself together in that holy trinity.

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2010, 08:40:02 pm »
Two and two has never equalled five, has it?
beg your pardon? Again, I don't recommend insults and abuse, if that's what you are implying. Just don't tell me that I'm wrong in wanting him out.

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 08:41:07 pm »
I suppose what's changed the most is the media spotlight. 24 hour television news and internet coverage. Let's face it, the way we handled the Hicks and Gillett boardroom ousting, wasn't the Liverpool Way (even though Broughton handled it brilliantly). It would have been impossible to keep that "in house" in today's media intensive climate.

Agreed with pretty much everything you've said so far. I'd also add that a lot us grew up when winning was the norm and boardroom squabbles were unheard of, and it was a lot easier to adhere to those principles.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 08:43:38 pm »
It beggars belief that some so called Liverpool fans would post in a thread about the Liverpool way with the shite they have... (now deleted). Irony at its most poignant.

I don't appreciate the censorship in the way my comment was deleted. Its painfully obvious that "The Liverpool Way" has been abused beyond measure by people serving their own agenda. The last I checked, this thread was about what people observe to be the Liverpool Way. Not only yours and the ones which you agree with are the right observations.
Liverpool don't turn up against shit teams so Wenger picks the shittest line up possible.
The man is a genius!

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 08:45:21 pm »
beg your pardon? Again, I don't recommend insults and abuse, if that's what you are implying. Just don't tell me that I'm wrong in wanting him out.

It wasn't intended as a pop at all Raul, it was simply a comment on "how do you resolve?"

There really isn't any resolving it, I guess was the point I was trying to make.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2010, 08:47:02 pm »
I think you will see that I don't trade in insults and I would never boo at the match. I do however reserve the right to criticise what I see and suggest that it would be in the best interests of the club and dare I say it, the Liverpool Way if we got a manager would willingly got our respect and did his own bit to bring the players fans and himself together in that holy trinity.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the manager, but this thread isn't about the manager. And you actually go along with what the thread is here for anyway! :)

No-one has said that. And it's not a Hodgson thread. Even if you want the manager out, there is a way to behave, I believe, as a Liverpool fan, the way we've ALWAYS behaved (not everyone but what we pass down from generation to generation) which you seem to adhere to anyway, so no need to get defensive on your position on the manager mate. No one is questioning that I don't think?

For me, like I say, the Liverpool Way isn't about following anything blindly, but not behaving in a disrespectful way if you DO lose faith in something.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:52:47 pm by Paul JH »

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
  • I think my F5 has gone weird
    • The Who Boys
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2010, 08:47:21 pm »
Some great posts... my take on some of what has been said is that a lot of fans think Hodgson himself has acted in many ways contrary to The Liverpool Way, and therefore isn't deserving to benefit from the fans' respect of it.  Other fans seem to think that no matter what, we shouldn't compromise it because then we lose a central ethos of what it means.  Not sure where I fall, but I think somewhere in the middle.  Although I don't think Hodgson is deserving of being the manager anymore for what he has said and done (and coached) so far, I also don't think that shouting "Hodgson out" is the answer.  I think venting our anger and anguish on this board actually does a fair bit (it helped oust H&G, did it not?), so with respect, we need a new manager but maybe shouldn't shout it from the rafters just yet.
"If people trust and love you, you will never walk alone." - Philippos

Quote from: shanklyboy on April  3, 2006, 12:04:44 AM

IF YOU'RE EVER SKINT ROMAN
          WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2010, 08:50:21 pm »
It wasn't intended as a pop at all Raul, it was simply a comment on "how do you resolve?"

There really isn't any resolving it, I guess was the point I was trying to make.
fair enough, apologies for being a bit jumpy. My view is that at this juncture, you have to look at what is best for the club, both in terms or results and the Way. The latter has been buggered around with for a while, particularly in the past three years. We now have new owners and a bit of a new start. The manager is more part of the old regime than the new. He hasn't got the results. Wipe the slate clean, get a man in who we can respect for the person he is and hopefully the results he can get us and build from there.