Author Topic: LFC Opinion Survey w/ RESULTS (85% Pro-Rafa)  (Read 18164 times)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Re: LFC Opinion Survey w/ RESULTS (85% Pro-Rafa)
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2010, 11:20:48 pm »
How so?
Collymore is about as qualified as my pet budgie.
Souness, as a great player he was, he lost all respect when he sold his soul to the rag and he's a bit of a c*nt.
Whelan is thick as pig shit, again he was a very decent player for us, but like Souness he's a c*nt.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2010, 11:27:01 pm »
The point I'm making is that people like Souness and Whelan played for this club and won a shitload of trophies along the way, so I think they've got far more knowledge about Liverpool FC than any of us do.  To dismiss their opinions because they're not the same as yours is blinkered.

Collymore is the biggest tool in the world but, unfortunately, he's still more qualified to talk about football than any of us.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2010, 11:27:58 pm »
Souness, as a great player he was, he lost all respect when he sold his soul to the rag and he's a bit of a c*nt.
Whelan is thick as pig shit, again he was a very decent player for us, but like Souness he's a c*nt.

Yep in a nutshell. What has you budgie ever done on you Terry ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2010, 11:29:25 pm »
What makes them qualified? Take Ronnie Whelan, great player sure but what qualifies him to comment on a manager's job given he was an abject failure himself?

what you have to remember about pundits they are like journos they have their paymaster to tell them what to say and how to slant it and they will be replaced if they go against the party line!
Great points. Just because they played doesn't mean they know fuck all about the game.

and if they did, they'd be getting paid a shitload more managing a club somewhere. On the otherhand they may well, like Hansen has admitted himself, not have the bottle for it. Either way, they're not qualified to comment. Fuckin gobshites, only surpassed by those who cling to their every word.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:35:29 pm by OohCampione »
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2010, 11:29:35 pm »
The point I'm making is that people like Souness and Whelan played for this club and won a shitload of trophies along the way, so I think they've got far more knowledge about Liverpool FC than any of us do.  To dismiss their opinions because they're not the same as yours is blinkered.

Collymore is the biggest tool in the world but, unfortunately, he's still more qualified to talk about football than any of us.

Totally disagree and you really underestimate the knowledge of football fans as a whole mate.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2010, 11:30:27 pm »
While i dont agree with those pundits views entirely its hardly suprising they've been critical of rafa its hardly been the greatest season potenially disastrous ,we've haven't done anything of note to keep the doubters quiet.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2010, 11:32:47 pm »
Totally disagree and you really underestimate the knowledge of football fans as a whole mate.

Do you think that every ex-Liverpool pundit should never be critical of the manager?

hoonin

« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2010, 11:33:35 pm »
The thing is, anyone who's played the game at the level that Whelan, Souness, Collymore, etc, have is far more qualified to talk about the situation at Liverpool than any of us on RAWK are.  So to dismiss their views because of a lack of managerial success means that you're going to have to dismiss the views of anyone on RAWK you might agree with too.

Is playing the game anything like being a manager though? There's a reason why they dribble in front of cameras week in week out - either they didn't have the bottle to be a manager (Collymore, who didnt really have the bottle to be a top player either) or were just rubbish at it (Whelan).

I cant help but listen to Souness though. He speaks from experience as a top level player AND top level manager. He's been round the block enough times and knows the position Benitez is in, having sat in the same seat himself.

Collymore and Whelan though? They dont speak about football management in the qualified terms you seem to believe.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2010, 11:34:57 pm »
Collymore and Whelan though? They dont speak about football management in the qualified terms you seem to believe.

I'm not saying they're right, and I don't agree with them, but they're speaking from a position of more experience than any of us.  S'all I'm saying, yo.

hoonin

« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2010, 11:35:37 pm »
Word.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2010, 11:36:13 pm »

As players two of those deserve the greatest respect, but not one of them is a great manager, the best out of the lot is Souness and his major successes came in Turkey and Scotland, hardly tough leagues. Just because you can play the game doesn't mean your opinion matters when it comes to management.

I used to be a croupier but I never dealt craps, so I wouldn't be arrogant enough to tell another dealer (who HAS dealt craps and at a very level where all the pit bosses want him dealing on their shift) how to deal craps.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2010, 11:36:23 pm »
Yep in a nutshell. What has you budgie ever done on you Terry ;D
Apart from shit on me?

You seriously think that, that thick brummie is qualified to talk about anything other than dogging?

The fact that the other two have won trophies should make them be a bit more dignified and stop putting the boot into a club that was very good for them.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2010, 11:37:21 pm »
Do you think that every ex-Liverpool pundit should never be critical of the manager?

No and i did not say that.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Smug Cassandra

• outh strikes again :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Siempre Liverpool Siempre River Plate
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2010, 11:38:36 pm »

Yep in a much better position than most of the country, so overall I think their opinions about Rafa and Liverpool have more qualification than most.
! LIVERPOOL - EN LAS MALAS - MUCHO MAS !

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2010, 11:38:57 pm »
So, hypothetically, should Rafa quit in the summer and say, Steve Bruce becomes manager of Liverpool and royally fucks the team with shitty tactics and shoddy buys... would you still be of the opinion that no ex-Liverpool players should criticise him?

Offline bootroom boy

• Kopite
« Reply #175 on: April 13, 2010, 11:39:45 pm »
The thing is, anyone who's played the game at the level that Whelan, Souness, Collymore, etc, have is far more qualified to talk about the situation at Liverpool than any of us on RAWK are.  So to dismiss their views because of a lack of managerial success means that you're going to have to dismiss the views of anyone on RAWK you might agree with too.
Listen, the majority of Liverpool supporters are knowledgeable about the game, especially auld arse scousers like myself. Yes, we've had a piss poor season, plus I admit Rafa can be a stubborn bastard at times but where would we be now if those two owners of ours had had their way. It's easy to criticise when things aren't going well and some pundits such as Lawrenson, Whelan etc have shit in their eyes. Why don't they come out and criticise the owners rather than the team and the manager. For FFS we supported them when they wore the shirt, why don't they support us fans now!

hoonin

« Reply #176 on: April 13, 2010, 11:39:58 pm »
So, hypothetically, should Rafa quit in the summer and say, Steve Bruce becomes manager of Liverpool and royally fucks the team with shitty tactics and shoddy buys... would you still be of the opinion that no ex-Liverpool players should criticise him?

Shall we answer that when it happens?

Think we're done on this particular track....

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2010, 11:41:32 pm »
Think we're done on this particular track....

Fair enough.. thought I'd go for the least likely scenario imaginable.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2010, 11:42:50 pm »
Gareth did you delete my post ya big fecker? ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2010, 11:49:38 pm »

I'd vote for your budgie. He's got some advantages. He's Cheep for a start. And when things are going wrong, he can wing it. And he knows how to shut his beak if in trouble in a press conference.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2010, 11:55:56 pm »
And as vain?
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline adlad

• Kopite
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2010, 11:56:46 pm »
I'd vote for your budgie. He's got some advantages. He's Cheep for a start. And when things are going wrong, he can wing it. And he knows how to shut his beak if in trouble in a press conference.

They do have one thing in common though. The ability to repeat the same word over and over so that they sound like a broken record. Especially if that word is "ZONAL MARKING!" in a Brum accent.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2010, 11:58:15 pm »
Is Collymore really that bad?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2010, 11:58:59 pm »
Is Collymore really that bad?

Worse.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2010, 12:05:35 am »
Worse.

;D We have Dunphy and Whelan both clowns but tbf John Giles is quite good and not one for swiping but constructive.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2010, 01:33:54 am »
Yep in a much better position than most of the country, so overall I think their opinions about Rafa and Liverpool have more qualification than most.

Yep, here's 18 pages of enlightenment that comes with working in the game for years..
http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/Articles/Colemanballs01.htm
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2010, 02:00:52 am »
Yes
18-25
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2010, 02:12:27 am »
Some interesting results there. Over 50s the least supportive, and the under 18s the most supportive (admittedly from a smallish sample size). I'm genuinely surprised by that.

Offline RedRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2010, 03:10:56 am »
Early days but raises a question about a couple of myths, namely the younger set wanting Rafa out, and overseas supporters not knowing enough about football. I'm really surprised because to be honest I was expecting an extreme reverse.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2010, 03:35:09 am »
The back stabbing auld arses ;)

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: April 14, 2010, 03:41:28 am »
yes.
hmm probably  something like 1997, I remember going to a youth cup final with me dad. I'm pretty sure carra was it it.
from Liverpool.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2010, 03:43:13 am »
Some interesting results there. Over 50s the least supportive, and the under 18s the most supportive (admittedly from a smallish sample size). I'm genuinely surprised by that.
why? the old people have tasted success and have seen the legends play, seeing the football we play at the moment and the situation we are in, probably pissed off/upset more old people than young.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #192 on: April 14, 2010, 04:07:22 am »
:D

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #193 on: April 14, 2010, 06:49:14 am »
The majority of the... [fans] not in support of Rafa would choose Mourinho as manager.
 ;D

Offline Keens

• Kopite
  • Thanks for the memories Rafa!
« Reply #194 on: April 14, 2010, 06:58:47 am »

I dismiss their opinions on Football management because neither set the world alight as managers.
"I think I have said it before, but there is no one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club....." - Kenny Dalglish

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: April 14, 2010, 07:46:55 am »

I'm not and posted something in other thread re the age breakdown and views of the current situation.  Those who witnessed the sides of the 80's and 70's will naturally always use those teams as a benchmark (inc myself), which is probably unfair on modern LFC teams - but that's the way it'll always be as those years are ingrained if you grew up through them. 

Those of a younger age can't rem Liverpool hitting those heights and prob can only measure Rafa against Houllier or Evans/Souness maybe at a push.  Rafa compares well in this sense.

Edit: Obviously there are exceptions to the general rule such as FS.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:48:42 am by TSC »

Offline i_wun_bite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: April 14, 2010, 08:41:32 am »
The majority of the... [fans] not in support of Rafa would choose Mourinho as manager.
 ;D

quite unbelievable.... mourinho...

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
« Reply #197 on: April 14, 2010, 09:54:53 am »
Good thread mate.

Most interesting bit is the trend that suggests that the older you are, the more you want Benitez out. I would have thought it would be the other way round. And considering that the older you are, the more likely you are to be just a bit less knee-jerk, the results are quite telling. Saying that, an overall majority of 85% is quite telling.

;D

Fancy that. A manager with experience of winning the CL and the title in England. A manager that almost any club in the world would take.

Oh I forgot. We don't like him do we? We don't like the way he comes across in the media. We don't like the way he talks too much and says controversial things. And that is more important to us than any of his football credentials.

I wonder if Juventus want Benitez for his football credentials or the way he comes across in press conferences and the media. Rafa is completely ridiculed in English media - is called Fat Spanish Waiter by most other sets of fans, famously called Everton a "small club", wrote a dossier about the stuff Ferguson gets away with, has regular battles with Sam Allardyce, and every pundit on the telly has a go at his aloof personality.

Yet we brush off this attitude towards Rafa because it's not important to us. Because at the end of the day, why is it important? What has media handling got to do with winning games? When do press conferences ever win you games? As far as I know, Football Manager does not have an attribute for "Press Conference Ability" or "Likeability".

Our attitude towards Mourinho is similar to any other English club's attitude towards Benitez. Nobody likes him. But we all know he's a good manager, and if any other clubs refused to hire Benitez because of his media perception, then we would all think they were fucking mugs.

I have no problem for people not wanting Mourinho for football reasons though. That's what should be discussed.

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #198 on: April 14, 2010, 10:08:21 am »
Yes.

36-49

"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: April 14, 2010, 10:35:13 am »
Is the surprising result that the oldies are more likely to want Rafa out simply a result of them not understanding how to use a keyboard - or what one is - on the electronic typewriters in front of them?

"How do I get on the interweb again??"
There are always more fortresses to torch.