Author Topic: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO  (Read 72760 times)

Offline CaptainSuarez

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:37:00 am »
Right then, 1 down 11 to go.

Southampton have no doubt had the beating of us recently, their high pressing and passing style does not bring out the best in us. At their ground, this is no doubt going to be a real test of our credentials.

When we played them at Anfield our starting 11 consisted of Moses & Aspas, no Suarez, Coutinho or Sterling. There is no doubt our overall attacking play has vastly improved since then, although our defending seems to have gone backwards as we had only conceded 2 goals in 4 games before they came to Anfield (and that included 3 clean sheets on the bounce).

Lovren is back in the squad for them by all accounts, which will no doubt be a boost to them as he was immense before he got sidelined. I do however think we're much better equiped to deal with their playing style now and should be in a position to capitalise on their high defensive line.

Key questions for me:

Does Agger keep his place or does Toure come in?
Does Johnson keep his place or will Rodgers go with Cissokho?
Joe Allen must be in with a shout of starting, but in place of Coutinho or Sterling?

I would be tempted to give Coutinho a rest for this as I think SASAS are more than equiped to get in behind them. I believe that Allen is the only one of our midfielders who can genuinally control the tempo of a match and can slow it down when we're under the cosh so I feel his pressence in our mf 3 will be crucial to winning this game.

I'd go.
                     Mignolet
Flanaghan   Skrtel    Toure    Cissokho
                      Gerrard
             Henderson    Allen
    Sterling                       Suarez
                     Sturridge

3 points here and we're looking good for 4th, maybe even higher. Come on redmen! YNWA

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
Re: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:38:30 am »
cant wait...  only a win will do now... any dropped points will be heartbreaking!
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:39:58 am »
BANZaI!  BANZaI!  BANZaI! 
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:42:31 am »
Routine 8-7 win to us
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:42:58 am »
Key questions for me:

Does Agger keep his place or does Toure come in?
Does Johnson keep his place or will Rodgers go with Cissokho?
Joe Allen must be in with a shout of starting, but in place of Coutinho or Sterling?
Is Sakho back for this?

Agger keeps his place, as does Johnson and I expect Coutinho too who was poor against Fulham but if we can break the Southampton high press then Coutinho could wreak havoc with Sturridge, Suarez and Sterling making runs off the ball.

Allen is a good player to bring on in the second half if we have a narrow lead to defend.

Must win game, Southampton will walk through our midfield etc etc
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:44:10 am »
A quick early goal please, will make Southampton push up and we hit them on the counter.  3 -1

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 09:45:26 am »
Allen for Coutinho is the only change I would make. No doubt they will press us high, put pressure on Coutinho when he is receiving the ball while facing our goal with their midfielders of Wanyama/Cork/Schneiderlin.

Gerrard will be crucial for us, if he plays well then we will win. Him being deep and good on the ball is vital if they press us high as expected and he can get us up the field with his passing range and the pace of Sterling and Sturridge.

With a week to prepare, I think Rodgers will be ready for them this time. We owe these lot a beating.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 09:47:05 am »
It's going to be a work game.
We are not so good at those.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 09:48:07 am »
Complete the series . .

3-2,  4-3,  ?-?  Thats my prediction. We will continue to leak goals but come out with one goal better.

Agreed with Allen coming in place of Coutinho to start with, and I'd retain Agger-Skrtel as the CBs.

About time Suarez hurt a defence proper.
Doubters to Believers

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 09:49:45 am »
They have nothing to play for which could be an advantage for this one.

Again, it will be about the players defending and working for the attack to make the difference upfront. If we do that, we will win.

Hopefully Gerrard and Henderson will be taking the right conclusions from the Swansea game and Gerrard staying behind the ball for the majority of the game again.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline LGarcia10

• Main Stander
  • Make us dream
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 09:54:05 am »
I'd start with this, if we have a slim lead then we can change Sterling for Allen and push Coutinho LW like we did at the weekend. Chose Agger over Kolo, don't really need to explain why.

Mignolet
Flanaghan   Skrtel    Agger    Johnson
                      Gerrard
             Henderson    Coutinho
    Sterling                       Suarez
                     Sturridge

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 09:57:21 am »
No doubt this thread will fill with the usual "this is a MUST win game" sort of clichés over the week.

We play 38 league games in the season.  Each game is worth 3 points.  These 3 points are no more important than 3 points against Fulham, Aston Villa or even Manchester City.

If we win, we move a step closer, if we don't we have 30 points still available to play for. 

So, yes, we are entering a crucial period of the season, and are in a very good position, but this game is as much of a "MUST" win game as the other 37 are.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 10:00:15 am »
This is the toughest game we have in the next 4 or 5 in my opinion. They have been a bit of a bogey team for us recently and it's important we maintain the 6 point advantage we have now going into these run of away games.

I'd bring in Allen for Coutinho for a bit more stability in midfield. Would be nice to have Phil on the bench to bring on and change things if we need to. Slightly tempted to say Cissoko for Johnson, I know he's not the best defender in the world but he does defend well which I think is something we'll need to do a fair bit of. I wouldn't put Kolo in the side purely because they'll target him when he has the ball and he's prone to play another West Brom style pass.

If we score first we can open the game up and let our strikers have a bit more license to do what they do best. I think it'll be a hard fought 9-8 win.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 10:00:21 am »
win this and i will start to believe. I trust the amnager in what team he picks simple as that really.Can see Allen starting
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:08 am »
Southampton are not brilliant at home.  They have got 20 pts at St Marys and 19 away.  Of late this has been even worse, with only 1 win at home in their last 7.  Certainly there are points here to be gained, but perhaps a draw will be the outcome as they did manage home draws against City and Arsenal.  3-3.

Offline chanti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 10:03:28 am »
Mommy !!!!

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 10:04:21 am »
At this stage, this kind of games will be instrumental to see what we're fighting for: consolidating fouth or going one, two or three better. Away to a good side at a ground where we have never done too well against a team that doesn't suit us whatsoever. Losing this one will probably mean 'good night' for the title aspirations. Then again those aspirations are still alive eleven games to the end and only the most ardent Kopite would have predicted that. Let's just hope for the best, as stupid as that may sound. Beating them will see us going third because City don't play a league game this weekend, with ten games to go. Four points off the top in the worst case. I think that's pretty impressive really.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:07:50 am by DutchRed »
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Wigan Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 10:05:28 am »
Hope Sahko is back for this. Huge game for us. Im definately in the "start Allen" camp, with Coutinho in off the bench. We need that security in midfield that Allen provides, especially away from home, if he doesn't start the game I fear our back 4 may well get very exposed against what is a very handy Southampton midfield and forward line. Still, I have a good feeling about this.

1-2 Liverpool.

Offline stststst

• Anny Roader
  • We won it 5 times..
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 10:06:36 am »
Defo has to be 3 in midfield, cant be 424 like we set up on Sunday basically we were too bloody open!! They've got better strikers and midfielders compared to Swansea and I think this is key to us getting any sort of result

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 10:10:16 am »
Defo has to be 3 in midfield, cant be 424 like we set up on Sunday basically we were too bloody open!! They've got better strikers and midfielders compared to Swansea and I think this is key to us getting any sort of result
We didn't play 4-2-4 on Sunday - it was clearly a 4-3-3.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 10:12:51 am »
Got a feeling this could end up like the Stoke game. Praying that we'll win, but would be more than happy with a draw. Considering who our rivals are facing, a loss here could be pretty bad.
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 10:14:03 am »
No doubt this thread will fill with the usual "this is a MUST win game" sort of clichés over the week.

We play 38 league games in the season.  Each game is worth 3 points.  These 3 points are no more important than 3 points against Fulham, Aston Villa or even Manchester City.

If we win, we move a step closer, if we don't we have 30 points still available to play for. 

So, yes, we are entering a crucial period of the season, and are in a very good position, but this game is as much of a "MUST" win game as the other 37 are.

Pretty much sums it up for me .....cheers for saving me time !

Offline SMacDougall

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 10:15:30 am »
Southampton.  :butt

They've really become a bogey team of ours, haven't they? They're the only team to have beaten us at home this season.

They just seem so perfectly set up to combat teams with a style like ourselves. Look at how they performed against Arsenal in the 2-2 draw, recently. They had more possession, more shots, etc.

Winning this game could be so, so important to us. It'll instill belief into even the most pessimistic of our fans. It'll boost the team like no other win so far.

Just imagine it. Full time. Southampton 1-3 Liverpool.

Next up, Man United, who will be shitting themselves.

MAKE IT HAPPEN! MAKE US DREAM!

Offline Owl

• Twit...just twit. No twoo.
  • Kopite
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 10:21:18 am »
A game that doesn't really suite us.. especially away.

They press high up the pitch, and we struggle with it, They are very good with the ball, and we are at times awful without it.

Allen Hendo and Gerrard all need to play here, but at the same time it will be about out scoring them as they will score, and we need both SAS, sterling and Coutinho. So it's a big dilemma for BR who to play.

They have been a bit on and off.. watched both their games against spurs and arsenal, They have been unlucky not to win both of them.

Positives are that they are without lovren, I think.

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 10:21:54 am »
Southampton have firmly established themselves in the mid table. They have nothing to play for. No top 6, no relegation. So I advice Pochettino to not take this game seriously and play all the kids. :P

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 10:23:52 am »
its time to end our bad run against them... we did it against Stoke we did it against Swansea and we did it against Spurs... show some balls and end this one too
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Cattive Maniere

• Legacy Fan
  • Mentalita Ultras
    • bettingtips365
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 10:30:35 am »
really hoping for a dull, shitcoat style win ... 0-1  :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:32:30 am by Cattive Maniere »

Offline stststst

• Anny Roader
  • We won it 5 times..
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 10:32:38 am »
We didn't play 4-2-4 on Sunday - it was clearly a 4-3-3.

Obviously it was 433, but the amount of times Shelvey floated in between the lines of our midfield was a joke

On saturday it will be Lallana, Ramirez, Lambert and Rodriguez.. we need another central midfielder is all Im saying

Offline dannylfc_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 10:34:38 am »
Would take a draw in this one, absolutely

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 10:37:12 am »
Bring Allen in for coutinho for this one, when he came on against Swansea we seemed a lot more settled and controlled in possession, reason I'd being him in for coutinho and not sterling is simply due to the fact Southampton normally play a very high defensive line so playing sterling will give us extra options for pace to run in behind their high line

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 10:37:22 am »
Haven't Man City and Arsenal drawn there this season so far?

Will be an extremely tough game - hopefully we're clinical on the counter attack as I think that will be the best way to get at them.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 10:37:47 am »
win this and i will start to believe. I trust the amnager in what team he picks simple as that really.Can see Allen starting

Absolutely. If we can better these then that will be a real sign of progress. I've been worried about this fixture for ages but I'm hoping we will get the better of them this time.

Offline Captain Marko Ramius

• Battle shtashionsh! Engage the shilent drive!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 10:38:15 am »
We've been poor twice in a row versus these lot, I am a little worried. But having said that we are notoriously shite at the Britannia and won a mental game a lot expected us to draw at best.

Hopefully can dig out a win here, if we do I'll  feel even more positive about 3rd place as a minimum.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 10:46:57 am »
Allen for Coutinho/Sterling. We need bodies in midfield for this one.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 10:48:59 am »
i have been dreading this game if im honest.Thats why i said earlier win this and I beleive we will win the league.Its the one game i can see us struggling in.Im far more concerned about this than manchester united away,sounds daft but i am.I know Manchester united will be out to hurt us and have pride to play for to try and prevent us,but i just cant see them coping with our attack.Back to southampton.I really feel if we can take our positivity from swansea and fulham we will win it.We werent at our best in either game and yet dragged out the result we needed.Its no good for the aging ticker but id take it again.Its goign to be like this every game in from now on.Win this and we win the league.You can quote me on that
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline jfc

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 10:50:19 am »
agger over toure for me, just because of the fact that Southampton will no doubt press our back 4 and we need players who are comfortable on the ball who can withstand that pressure. The right ball from the back is crucial against southampton to break there press.

Offline Owl

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 10:51:29 am »
I would actually drop Suarez here, as he struggles to score goals lately and we need to be clinical and someone needs to make way for Extra body in the midfield. Plus he does't lose the ball away from home pretty often and it open for counter attacks for the opposition.

U can't drop Sterling here as his work rate alone will be very important plus the fact that they will leave space behind their defenders.

Coutinho is the creator and his vision and passing is very important both for Sturridge and Sterling.

Sturridge is undropable.

Suarez would be a good option from the bench if things go wrong.

Offline Owl

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 10:52:04 am »
And Cissokho needs to be back on the left, no doubt.

Offline JAY-IOM

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 10:52:54 am »
Win this and we can really start to believe, especially with Chelsea and City still to come to us.

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 10:55:13 am »
I would actually drop Suarez here, as he struggles to score goals lately and we need to be clinical and someone needs to make way for Extra body in the midfield. Plus he does't lose the ball away from home pretty often and it open for counter attacks for the opposition.

U can't drop Sterling here as his work rate alone will be very important plus the fact that they will leave space behind their defenders.

Coutinho is the creator and his vision and passing is very important both for Sturridge and Sterling.

Sturridge is undropable.

Suarez would be a good option from the bench if things go wrong.

Well, he'll struggle even more to score goals from the bench.