Author Topic: Roberto Firmino  (Read 2008353 times)

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roberto Firmino
« Reply #3640 on: March 19, 2017, 07:10:19 pm »
What's bizarre is you trying to pick on Firmino after a fantastic performance.
I wouldn't say it was fantastic, he had some very good and some poor moments, like everyone did I suppose.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #3641 on: March 19, 2017, 07:11:56 pm »
The question is whether that's what we require from our main forward against the mid table and lower teams.
Indeed, and as I've said on the Origi thread, it's clear that as a 'striker' his style of play is not very suited against physical sides that sit deep. I do think he can be very good at LW (as he was last season) but we need more pace from others to compensate. Regardless, he should have played less during the season - his role is exhausting with the amount of running around he does. The fact we always, always play the same front three is one of our main weaknesses.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #3642 on: March 19, 2017, 07:16:03 pm »
His positioning to set up a pressing trap is phenomenal. 

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #3643 on: March 19, 2017, 07:27:50 pm »
This is why he's undroppable for Klopp. Hard to think of another player who contributes this much defensively as a striker. Not half bad with the ball at his feet either. If his finishing was top class too, he'd be Luis Suarez, but as far as things go, it's hard to think of another player in world football with similar qualities and such a phenomenal and selfless work ethic.

to be honest I'd be happier if he grew a muzzy, became the new John Aldridge and started doing fuckall apart from finding the net every week
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3644 on: March 19, 2017, 07:28:35 pm »
My favourite player

His workrate is exceptional and should have had an assist today, put that on a plate for lallana

Offline Kop307

• Bets against Liverpool. "I could be talking utter fucking shit".
  • Kopite
« Reply #3645 on: March 19, 2017, 07:30:12 pm »
to be honest I'd be happier if he grew a muzzy, became the new John Aldridge and started doing fuckall apart from finding the net every week

It's great having a player who can run, press, pass & make runs, but in my mind, strikers are judged on goals, and at 1-0 he's missed a huge chance that a top quaity striker tucks away and makes it 2-0. Kane, Costa, Sanchez all score that chance. I'd still have Firmino in the team next season he's brilliant. But Coutinho, Mane, Firmino should be our 3 behind a striker, not our front 3, if we have any ambition of winning the league. We don't have a single player in our squad who only thinks in goals. Everyone is always looking for the pass.
There are 2 types of posters on RAWK - Those who have an opinion and post - and those who just comment on those who post. Have an opinion - grow up.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3646 on: March 19, 2017, 07:31:23 pm »
Shame Caballero saved his one on one. And shame Lallana missed that opportunity he was given by Firmino.

A moustache... I think you are on to something.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3647 on: March 19, 2017, 07:44:10 pm »
Thought he was brilliant. So much work and tracking back. And should have had an assist for a Lallana winner!

Really needs to work on his finishing though. That's a few times this season he's been clean through and failed to finish.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3648 on: March 19, 2017, 09:40:53 pm »
The question is whether that's what we require from our main forward against the mid table and lower teams.

Good point

However I think even against the teams near the top we could do with someone more clinical.  Chances in these games are at a premium and if they continually fall to firmino, I can see a lot of hard luck stories coming our way.  We may have a great record in these games, but firmino hasn't scored in these matches this season, we can't go into games hoping our chances don't fall to our main striker.  If firmino had scored the chances he had away to manu and today, top 4 would be in the bag.

With our defence we need, we need to take our chances and this is not one of firmino's many strengths, right now.

hard work, unselfish, smart, good touch, good decision making, composure (sometimes), good in the air, in both boxes.  Strange one, as has a played a big hand in the good performances we had, unfortunately the biggest box he needs to tick, he keeps missing, right now

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3649 on: March 20, 2017, 04:03:58 am »
The chances he had were just a bit out of favour unfortunately, they were kind of 1v1s but the angle he was taking them on just didn't look likely to get it in so they weren't easy to finish.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #3650 on: March 20, 2017, 10:20:53 am »
He's a tough one to get your head around. He's pretty much two thirds of a top striker, literally everything about his forward play if you compare him to other strikers is elite but that finishing is just infuriatingly not there. It either comes at once ala Suarez and he ends up moving up a level or he'll have one of those mad seasons when he's 29/30 where he scores 30+ goals in all comps.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3651 on: March 20, 2017, 10:23:49 am »
Thought he was brilliant yesterday as he nearly always is against the big boys but equally you never ever back him to score in front of goal which is the case in every game. At some point it's a problem we are going to have to try and find a solution for because it costs us points.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #3652 on: March 20, 2017, 10:37:03 am »
I see a lot of striker talk and is he the striker we need etc... Bobby is not a striker, none of our front 3 are, they are all midfielders really, we do not have an out an out striker bar Sturridge and Origi and one is a sick note that for me is time to let go and the other is in development.

The front 3 and Bobby especially are phenomenal in all other areas, pressing, movement but the most clinical of the 3 is probably Sadio.

I think they all had a good performance yesterday and unfortunatly all 3 had chances to score and didn't but hey ho! If they were all strikers too we'd have 3 Luis Suarez's in the team and we'd be unstopable haha unfortunatly one can only dream of that for now!

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3653 on: March 20, 2017, 11:03:34 am »
I see a lot of striker talk and is he the striker we need etc... Bobby is not a striker, none of our front 3 are, they are all midfielders really, we do not have an out an out striker bar Sturridge and Origi and one is a sick note that for me is time to let go and the other is in development.

The front 3 and Bobby especially are phenomenal in all other areas, pressing, movement but the most clinical of the 3 is probably Sadio.

I think they all had a good performance yesterday and unfortunatly all 3 had chances to score and didn't but hey ho! If they were all strikers too we'd have 3 Luis Suarez's in the team and we'd be unstopable haha unfortunatly one can only dream of that for now!

I think we could look at going 4-2-3-1 next season, Klopp's favoured setup in Bundasliga, and then you are looking at playing Bobby behind a striker. I guess.

On current form, you would play Firmino, Gini and Mane behind the goal-getter, raising some very interesting questions elsewhere.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3654 on: March 20, 2017, 11:09:29 am »
I think we could look at going 4-2-3-1 next season, Klopp's favoured setup in Bundasliga, and then you are looking at playing Bobby behind a striker. I guess.

On current form, you would play Firmino, Gini and Mane behind the goal-getter, raising some very interesting questions elsewhere.

Possibly. The alternative is that we sign Klopp's Reus rather than Klopp's Lewandowski and play him from the left with Firmino remaining up front. If we had an ice cool finisher like Reus making penetrating runs in behind as Mane does on the other side, it might compensate better for Firmino's lack of ruthlessness.

In a 4-2-3-1 I think Gini would play as the box to box midfielder alongisde Henderson/Can/another with three of Firmino, Lallana, Mane, and Coutinho most fitting behind a striker. We could have afforded to drop the latter by now in such a system and with a bit more squad depth.

I do like the 4-3-3 though and think it has proven its weight in gold in big games this season. It's against those bus parkers we need a striker or certainly another finisher on the pitch.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3655 on: March 20, 2017, 11:22:38 am »
There is a reason very few top teams play 4-2-3-1 these days, its an outdated formation which causes a disconnect between the defence and the attack. Its one of the reasons Wenger is struggling.

Our problems against weak teams aren't down to Firmino or even down to goal scoring actually. Top teams keep it tight at the other end and win those games 1-0. We concede and give ourselves a mountain to climb. We usually do find a goal or two even against bus parking teams. In how many games this season have we failed to score?

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3656 on: March 20, 2017, 11:40:50 am »
There are two things that frustrate me with Firmino; his finishing and moments of laziness/complacency that mean he either misplaces passes, mis-controls or similar. We've seen examples of the latter throughout his time at the club, and another was yesterday when he had a simple ball to put Lallana in down the right channel in first half. He over-hit the pass and the chance to build the attack was gone. I don't need to go into the examples of his finishing.

It's a real, real shame, as the rest of his game is as good as it gets. Work-rate, awareness of team-mates, close control/touches, creativity, skill, you name it, he has it. He needs to become more ruthless/clinical with the chances he gets. Pre-game they showed his goals v games. 19 in 57 precisely 1 in 3. He could easily be on 30. That has to be the aim for him. Achieve it and we have an absolute worldie on our hands.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3657 on: March 20, 2017, 12:00:18 pm »
Indeed, and as I've said on the Origi thread, it's clear that as a 'striker' his style of play is not very suited against physical sides that sit deep.

Physical sides will relish a physical battle.  Playing someone who is the complete opposite of your typical physical defenders is how you take them out of their comfort zone which is where they will make mistakes. 

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3658 on: March 20, 2017, 02:40:01 pm »
Its such a conundrum for Klopp, you can't leave this guy out but its a shame he doesnt bag a few more goals

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3659 on: March 20, 2017, 02:41:55 pm »
Did anyone see him celebrate when he thought Lallana was going to score?  ;D

Saw loads of opposition fans laughing at him for this, I'm sure it's more falling to his knees and throwing hands up in exasperation at Lallana not scoring.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #3660 on: March 20, 2017, 03:00:50 pm »
His decision making occasionally goes haywire, but I think he's as good as we've got for the system Klopp wants to play. I think Studge is a far better finisher and an equally strong link up player, but he doesn't do the hard yards that the press is built on.
It seems strange that a player can attract flak after winning a point away to one of our main rivals, especially when that opposition has players like Aguero to call on. Now, if Bobby Firmino had skipped past four defenders into their box and then tripped over his own feet, or blasted over in injury time with the goal at his mercy, then I'd be livid and could justifiably call him garbage ... just like no one said about Aguerro, ever.
Roberto Firmino is perfect for the system we play at this time. Is Klopp content with surrendering points due to the profligacy of those up front? No and that will no doubt mean changes in the summer.

Offline Mymush

• Boys Pen
« Reply #3661 on: March 30, 2017, 04:28:46 pm »
He's awful

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3662 on: March 30, 2017, 04:33:40 pm »
Haven't got a player that can do what he does when he's not playing.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3663 on: March 30, 2017, 04:38:10 pm »

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3664 on: March 30, 2017, 05:03:21 pm »

Offline Mymush

• Boys Pen
« Reply #3665 on: March 30, 2017, 05:23:37 pm »
He's too weak in my opinion , his first touch and speed of thought are not up to it.
He works hard I'll give him that and finds himself in good positions , however he fails to capatilise on them positions most of the time.
I mainly hate the way he jumps up for headers whilst staring at the opposition player and not the ball. 

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3666 on: March 30, 2017, 05:27:15 pm »
I mainly hate the way he jumps up for headers whilst staring at the opposition player and not the ball.

I actually kind of agree with this part. He is gonna get himself in trouble when an elbow inadvertently hits the opposing player. Every time he jumps like that I get a little nervous.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3667 on: March 30, 2017, 06:53:04 pm »
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3668 on: March 30, 2017, 06:59:13 pm »
I don't mind people talking about players faults, no one is perfect after all. But I don't like it when they don't acknowledge the good points as well. Bobby is a very skillful little player, his heading could be better true, but he has plenty of time to perfect it. His all round skills though, make him such an important player in the make up of this team though.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Mymush

• Boys Pen
« Reply #3669 on: March 30, 2017, 07:19:37 pm »
Laughable.

It's an opinion , I may find it laughable that you find my opinion laughable.

He works hard that's it. Not my cup of tea that's all, I see from most of the posts on this page I'm in the
Minority with my judgement on him and that's fine. I just don't like him as a Liverpool player.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3670 on: March 30, 2017, 07:40:21 pm »

He works hard that's it. Not my cup of tea that's all, I see from most of the posts on this page I'm in the
Minority with my judgement on him and that's fine. I just don't like him as a Liverpool player.

It's your opinion and each to their own I suppose. My opinion is that your opinion of him is one of poor judgement though. To the extent, I find it laughable.

He does far more than work hard. And if you really think that's all he does, thank God you're not a scout for our club.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:44:56 pm by Lycan »
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3671 on: March 30, 2017, 07:42:36 pm »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3672 on: March 30, 2017, 07:57:35 pm »

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3673 on: March 30, 2017, 08:26:24 pm »

That's not just an opinion though is it? to be honest its complete and utter nonsense

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3674 on: March 30, 2017, 09:45:30 pm »
That's not just an opinion though is it? to be honest its complete and utter nonsense

Fucking Amen, he's a starter for Brasil - that says enough doesn't it, even if you were fucking Mr.Magoo that should be enough to acknowledge he must be quite a tidy player.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3675 on: March 30, 2017, 09:49:30 pm »
Fucking Amen,

Probably a few bluenoses coming across on the wind up. We're not paying them enough attention ya see.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Mymush

• Boys Pen
« Reply #3676 on: March 31, 2017, 12:12:35 am »
Fucking Amen, he's a starter for Brasil - that says enough doesn't it, even if you were fucking Mr.Magoo that should be enough to acknowledge he must be quite a tidy player.

Jo played for Brazil .... that blows your theory 👍

Look my point is everyone is banging on like he's fantastic.
He's not , and if we are happy to settle for him, well it's not good enough.
Wish I'd have stayed quiet now , it's a opinion that is all.
Good god if I air my opinions on Kevin Stewart this place will explode 😬

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3677 on: March 31, 2017, 12:14:53 am »
Jo played for Brazil .... that blows your theory 👍

Look my point is everyone is banging on like he's fantastic.
He's not , and if we are happy to settle for him, well it's not good enough.
Wish I'd have stayed quiet now , it's a opinion that is all.
Good god if I air my opinions on Kevin Stewart this place will explode 😬

There's a difference between saying he's not good enough, or he's not that good, or he's average and saying he's woeful. Woeful is Salif Diao as an example.

So yes you can have your opinion, doesn't mean that your opinion is remotely close to the actual truth.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3678 on: March 31, 2017, 02:32:48 am »
I do think we could improve on Bob, but to think he's awful? :lmao
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #3679 on: March 31, 2017, 06:35:59 am »
I do think we could improve on Bob, but to think he's awful? :lmao
See, I'm the opposite. The only thing that could improve would be his personal goals tally and while we are scoring as a team that isn't a problem.

As others have said, if we added him as a 80% penalty taker he'd be up there with the rest of the number 9s bar the outliers.