Author Topic: So the commercial office of LIVERPOOL FC will be London huh  (Read 101260 times)

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: So the commercial epicentre of LIVERPOOL FC will be London huh
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2014, 07:07:40 pm »
Get off your high horse Touchstone.

Plenty of us commenting are born and raised in Liverpool. Some of us still live there too.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2014, 07:08:04 pm »
Location, Location, Location,  what's yours ? 

I think frankly it's amazing and deplorable how many people in Rawk have no allegiance to the city their team plays in or any understanding of the people who live in it

I was born in the city and lived the early years there what's your point?

Oh fuck it argue amongst yourselves can't be bothered with this.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2014, 07:08:52 pm »
Get off your high horse Touchstone.

Plenty of us commenting are born and raised in Liverpool. Some of us still live there too.

He is right though, there are plenty on here with no respect for the City or the people of the City.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2014, 07:12:38 pm »

I think frankly it's amazing and deplorable how many people in Rawk have no allegiance to the city their team plays in or any understanding of the people who live in it
That's a stretch to say that. There are Scousers who have commented on this thread and have no issue with the decision.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2014, 07:15:52 pm »
This London office is only going to cause more damaged hope when the transfer window comes round and Reus is spotted at Gatwick.

No time for caution.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2014, 07:16:17 pm »
That's a stretch to say that. There are Scousers who have commented on this thread and have no issue with the decision.

And there are non scousers making out Timbo has no right to complain about this, so your point is a little disingenuous if you or others cannot understand why he feels so passionate about this.

As for Craig better late than never!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2014, 07:17:23 pm »
Only on RAWK could this get to 4 pages.
Ye wha la.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2014, 07:21:27 pm »
People moaning about this because of some phobia of London: please accept the reality around you.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2014, 07:21:38 pm »
Had enough of this thread now...it's just stupid.

The Beatles fucked off to London ASAP.

Yet they're still the city's favourite sons...and make up a massive proportion of the tourist income for our city.

Whilst it maybe pragmatic!
 To the locals it could look like a representative of Liverpool F.C. doesn't think Liverpool is good enough or big enough for him to be based in.  This might sound OTT to people with no allegiance to the city itself, but it comes down to pride and maybe as i was brought up near this city i can understand Timbo's point of view a bit more than people the other side of the country or even the world, you need to be from Liverpool or really understand Liverpudlians to understand Timbo's point and if you don't well you are chatting uneducated shit anyway.

Actually his excuse of the need to be based in London is pure bollox, in a corporate world of net based conferences and skyped conversations and deals all done on the net are we saying he could not do business just the same here rather than some overpriced shack in Mayfair.

So he does deals and wines and dines in London, how nice for him, but why do this  is he scared that the sponsors will run a mile if they see the wonderful city of culture  Liverpool?

Seems like this is a cosmetic plan to keep Billy Boy in the UK, or maybe he just want to use his Oyster card.

Isn't he in fucking Boston at the moment anyway?

It's easy to understand pride in the city. It's a magnificent city. It's nothing to do with sponsors 'seeing the city' - it's about not having to go out of their little London bubble.

It has fuck all to do with this news breaking. Big business opens office in London shocker. Christ, that's never happened before.

Would you rather he had his office in London and we carry on the relative commercial disaster of the Parry regime, or let him do his business in London, where most of the rest of the business people are, so we can maximise income and get back to success on the pitch, and fuck what some dickhead business types think of Liverpool the city?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2014, 07:22:38 pm »
And there are non scousers making out Timbo has no right to complain about this, so your point is a little disingenuous if you or others cannot understand why he feels so passionate about this.

I don't understand why he, or you feel so strongly about it, that's true. However it has fuck all to do with where I'm from or where I live. In an ideal world the commercial team would be based in Liverpool, absolutely, I agree. This is not an ideal world.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2014, 07:23:55 pm »

I love Liverpool and don't want to ever live anywhere except Merseyside, yet I fully understand why having a commercial office in London makes sense (note: Ayre and crew will still be based in Liverpool).
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2014, 07:24:03 pm »
Only on RAWK could this get to 4 pages.
Probably because we have a membership of over 40,000 posters who like input to most discussions mate.

I'm a bit of a moaner about all things London and the South East but I'm certainly not precious about a decision that I can only imagine has been made in the best interests of the club.

I'd be more gutted if someone was moving a factory from Liverpool to London than an office from Boston to London.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2014, 07:25:36 pm »

There are plenty who do. But that doesn't mean they can't have a different opinion.

Let me put it to you this way.

Where has our Commercial operations offices been located? Answer: Liverpool.

Where will we open a new office? Answer: London.

Not every aspect of the Commercial side is moving to London. Therefore we still have a commercial base in Liverpool.

How about contemplating the question of why the club took the measures to move to London instead of renting further space in Liverpool?
They had the choice. They did the research. They looked at all the angles. They have their reasons and justifications.

And all this has nothing to do with Rawkites not having no allegiance to the city their team plays in or any understanding of the people who live in it does it?
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2014, 07:26:09 pm »
How many people would be working in this office?

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2014, 07:26:43 pm »
How many people would be working in this office?
Just me and Billy Hogan ;)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2014, 07:27:15 pm »
Even Liverpool City Council understands the benefits of a London base ......
http://www.liverpoolvision.co.uk/liverpool-in-london/

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2014, 07:28:06 pm »
This is not an ideal world.

No such statement couldn't sum up the whole situation better. I'm sure the club would love to keep everything in Liverpool if they could. Unfortunately, it's just not going to happen. The pros of opening a new base in London rather than Liverpool outweigh the cons. It's a business decision in a sport which is becoming more and more reliant on business. It's not an ideal world.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2014, 07:28:19 pm »
Just me and Billy Hogan ;)
Thought so...are you his receptionist?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2014, 07:29:43 pm »

I posted in here ages ago, not that I get why you're even mentioning me as we both know you've no interested in my opinion and I don't particularly care about that.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2014, 07:34:08 pm »
I don't understand why he, or you feel so strongly about it, that's true. However it has fuck all to do with where I'm from or where I live. In an ideal world the commercial team would be based in Liverpool, absolutely, I agree. This is not an ideal world.

Its not a case that i feel that strongly i expect no less these days, the game as i knew it has been fucked for years,  although i do think its a slap in the face for the city of Liverpool, i felt strongly that Timbo had every right to feel as he does and i understand why he does,  without him being replied to and his points dismissed like he is some loony tune or something.

A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2014, 07:36:21 pm »
I love Liverpool and don't want to ever live anywhere except Merseyside, yet I fully understand why having a commercial office in London makes sense (note: Ayre and crew will still be based in Liverpool).

i might support it if you said Ayre and his crew was moving to London.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2014, 07:36:23 pm »
i felt strongly that Timbo had every right to feel as he does and i understand why he does,  without him being replied to and his points dismissed like he is some loony tune or something.
Hang on, Of course he has that right. I've not seen any replies like that, you're exaggerating. In fact in amongst the strong feeling there have been some very good points made.

On both sides...

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2014, 07:37:35 pm »
Quote from: John C link=topic=317227.msg13313225#msg13313225 date

I'd be more gutted if someone was moving a factory from Liverpool to London than an office from Boston to London.

I don't disagree with you John. I must admit though that I don't really understand why most appear to think that it is such a good decision that makes perfect sense, it would make perfect commercial sense to put another big increase in ticket prices at a time where demand clearly outstrips supply but it would not necessarily be what is right for the long term of the club, the local economy or the local communities. Sometimes the club should take on board things in a broader context, and I'm sure that you are as aware as I am about some of the shortcomings of the club in its local environment over the years.

Maybe it's just my scepticism over the way the club is run or maybe it's that I despise the way in which this board appears to embrace all things Man United as some sort commercial utopia, when the reality, for me at least, is that they have moved the game a million miles from where I would like it to be.

Just feels like the club feels too often for my liking that they operate in markets despite its location when I think it could do far more to embrace the city that bore it, and things that may appear minor or logical to others only serve to compound these feelings.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:39:23 pm by john_mac »

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2014, 07:39:35 pm »

As a yank (not to be misinterpreted as a wank), I am confused by "the Keeping-up-with-Jones" argument for having a London office.  Why do some here fall prey to the .... "if everyone else is doing it, then we should or risk falling behind like during......"

Why not keep Boston?  Or if moving, why does it have to be in London?  I have nothing against London, except it is home to one of highest per capita percentages of billionaires in the world (behind New York, I believe).   

There is a reason for London.  All I would like to know is why.  Not get into an argument between those who definitely know much more than I on both sides of this issue and those who keep trying to shut down conversation of this "non-issue".

Help educate this yank.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2014, 07:42:04 pm »
Looks like we've opened up a London office and he's going to be located there.  Our Chief Commercial Officer is going to be located in London, the biggest financial city in the world, and...wait, what's the problem again?
I have no idea and Timbo is one of the sane posters on here. 
Silly thread.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2014, 07:42:28 pm »

There is a reason for London.  All I would like to know is why.  Not get into an argument between those who definitely know much more than I on both sides of this issue and those who keep trying to shut down conversation of this "non-issue".

Help educate this yank.
It was explained repeatedly on the first couple of pages though.

If we're courting sponsors, partners etc then it makes sense to have a commercial base where those partners are or where they have an office. It gives us a chance to hold meetings in London.

Plus, international travel is easier.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2014, 07:43:10 pm »

You think those are over the top responses? I don't, they're not personal, they're not abusive in the slightest.

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »
So, maybe because I'm an exile scouser, but I don't get the issue.

From where I'm standing, we're moving an office from Boston to London. Which is a hell of a lot closer to Liverpool.

Sometimes it's as if FSG is turning water into wine while we're shouting for champagne. If we want to compete and win titles we need these branches and we need certain parts (such as one that has fuck all to do with football, I mean, we're not leaving Anfield here) to be based where they are in and around to the lucrative markets. We're not going to develop as a club without it. Simple as that, for me anyway.

But then again, I originally left Liverpool for London for work, so maybe I mind it less than most.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2014, 07:44:11 pm »
I'll never be able to see this from Timbo's Goals perspective, given where I live and was born...but as a Bostonian, the comparison with moving the Red Sox commercial center to NYC doesn't really work. Yes, it'd piss plenty of people off (though a much, much higher percentage likely wouldn't give a damn), but the move itself simply wouldn't make sense. Even if you look at it from a purely logistical point of view...just think of the fact that Hogan can expect to need to travel not only to the rest of Europe (from Liverpool the farthest you can fly direct is Cyprus) but to the US, China, Japan, SE Asia, South America, India, etc. You can get to all of those places from London, just as you can get anywhere a Red Sox commercial director would need to go from Boston.

I dunno. The one thing that bothers me (and would bother me a lot more if I had been lucky enough to be born in Liverpool) is the already-mentioned local financial aspect of things. All of the wining-and-dining that incoming groups will be doing will be putting money into the pockets of London restaurants, car services, hotels, etc. when it should be doing so for those in Liverpool. Yeah, we're not talking about billions of pounds here, but it's all important in the long run.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2014, 07:44:34 pm »
Hang on, Of course he has that right. I've not seen any replies like that

There are some that I read like that, as though you'd have to be a tit to question the logic of any company wanting a London rather than a Liverpool base, Norman Tebbit and his bike would be quite proud of some.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2014, 07:45:01 pm »
You think those are over the top responses? I don't, they're not personal, they're not abusive in the slightest.

i think they are pretty dam dismissive myself , maybe different strokes, i will simply go back to the boozer then!

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2014, 07:46:05 pm »
although i do think its a slap in the face for the city of Liverpool

:lmao

i felt strongly that Timbo had every right to feel as he does and i understand why he does,  without him being replied to and his points dismissed like he is some loony tune or something.

He was returning cutting remarks in kind.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2014, 07:47:45 pm »
Norman Tebbit and his bike would be quite proud of some.

How d'you work out that one, then?

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2014, 07:48:26 pm »
i think they are pretty dam dismissive myself , maybe different strokes, i will simply go back to the boozer then!
:lmao

Whereas that is not dismissive at all

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2014, 07:50:11 pm »
Whereas that is not dismissive at all

Of course it is, when encountering immense exaggeration, what would the point be in countering that comment?

Especially lumping everyone who agrees with the decision in with being a Londoner and not giving a shite about Liverpool.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2014, 07:53:17 pm »
How d'you work out that one, then?

Back in the early 80s Norman was quite enthusiastic that people should leave struggling inner city economies in search of work in the beautiful south, some found the thought of investing in people, jobs and homes in those inner city areas was laughable, almost doomed.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2014, 07:57:04 pm »
It was explained repeatedly on the first couple of pages though.

If we're courting sponsors, partners etc then it makes sense to have a commercial base where those partners are or where they have an office. It gives us a chance to hold meetings in London.

Plus, international travel is easier.

Thank 5th, but I have read the entire thread.  Maybe I missed something. 

In reading Timbo's OP, I was under the impression that Hogan did not make an argument for why they are moving to London (not Liverpool), but were talking about their plans to set up a commercial base closer to the partners.  A subtlety, but not unnoticed.

On the surface, this does seem like a non-issue.   Maybe there are some cost efficiencies with travel as you say.  Nevertheless, I think its something to put in our collective memory banks or ask questions about.

In the long haul, my worry would be that too many corporate partners over time muddy the mix or the wrong kinds and they move for naming rights of Anfield.  At some point, more is not always more (see cotton candy, subprime mortgages, and Spurs transfers).

In our present context, I realize we need to have profitable partnerships and deals to do the kind of work that is demanded by supporters, players, coaches, and owners.  I get it.  But it is just as equally important how we do it. 

And we should not miss the consolidation of financial power (especially in NY and London) during the last decade.  Now, I realize SP's criticism of this perspective calls for focusing on the issue and not large economic dissertations.  However, in a world of global capitalization and financialized power, information is everything.     
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:09:20 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2014, 08:02:37 pm »

I'm from St. Albans originally. I find the way in which Scousers are spoken about in England deplorable (a more fitting usage of the word than your own, but I'll come back to that later), especially considering that some of the terrible stereotypes that are attributed to scousers, would be completely unacceptable if leveled at someone with black skin colour for instance.

I could go on into other issues that demonstrate the respect and loyalty I have for a city I have never lived in, but we'd be veering well off topic. Not quite sure why it matters though.

But of course, it's 'deplorable' that a commercial office for our football club has been set up in London and I don't take issue with it. 'Deplorable'.

Deplorable- "deserving strong condemnation; completely unacceptable".

I find it offensive that not having a problem with this, is some sort of slight on Liverpool and all of the people within it.

Back in the early 80s Norman was quite enthusiastic that people should leave struggling inner city economies in search of work in the beautiful south, some found the thought of investing in people, jobs and homes in those inner city areas was laughable, almost doomed.

It's not like we've moved the ticket office down there though is it, actually costing people jobs, and preventing locals from queuing for tickets? It all seems rather storm in a tea cup to me, and more about peoples political gripes, possibly lingering from the 80's simmering over, rather than this decision being looked at in isolation where it probably benefits the football club overall. The fact you've brought up an 80's politician to compare some of us too makes that fairly clear.

If it's a slight on the city of Liverpool and a "Slap in the face for the city", we'll see how much outrage and protest that arises. I would imagine bar some of the usual dissenting posters it won't feature very heavily away from this thread.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:10:48 pm by Hij »

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2014, 08:13:27 pm »
Quote from: Hij link=topic=317227.msg13313345#msg13313345 date

It's not like we've moved the ticket office down there though is it, actually costing people jobs, and preventing locals from queuing for tickets? It all seems rather storm in a tea cup to me, and more about peoples political gripes, possibly lingering from the 80's simmering over, rather than this decision being looked at in isolation where it probably benefits the football club

As I've said I find it difficult to look at these things in isolation, and for many years I believe the club has not done all it could to support the environment it works in, to support the local communities and the communities which spawned it. You can look at things in isolation or you can look at a series of events over period of time. I don't think that the club has done enough over the years, if you look at a decision in isolation and write off those that think it does not sit well as strange or cranks, then that's fine. I don't think that is right myself.