Author Topic: Simon Mignolet  (Read 279412 times)

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Simon Mignolet is boss thread.
« Reply #1080 on: February 21, 2017, 10:45:57 am »
I want Mignolet gone this summer, he's not good enough to be our number one. But if you can't see that his distribution and footwork have improved this season then you're blinded by your dislike for the guy.

Cruyff turns in the box, dinking the ball over the onrushing Aguero, nice passes out to the fullbacks and Henderson. Compare that to running around the ball to let it go out for a corner a couple of years ago. The improvement is marked.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1081 on: February 22, 2017, 12:40:40 am »
Karius is defintely better. Stats can be misleading and if you watrch some of our games with Karius you will see TWO things you don't see with Mignolet and which the stats don't show either:

1. Karius lets go of the ball much quicker. Yes, "much" quicker. He doesn't smother the thing and leave us watching a potential counterattack fizzle away into nothingness- time after time. He's quick, he's on the game and he's mind is on the attack.
2. Karius chooses people in space - on a run, often down the flanks. Mignolet does not. He gets the ball, feints and then frustratingly takes an eaon to decide who to "pass" to and even then it's mostly staright down into a crowded middle where it is snuffed out. He's got no brains. I get the feeling he just does it coz that's what you do and he's too daft it seems to realize he's not doing it right.
He's mindset is one of- "I'm under pressure- better get rid!". Karius doesn't seem to have that mindset by the releases he makes.

Those stats cannot show those two differences. Like I said- it's good to see Karius is still "shit".
Disagree what you're seeing is based on past bad reputation with Migs. I've been watching Migs more closely this season with regards to that and he does release quickly more often these days. People also claimed he also couldn't first time pass which is a complete myth, he often does it, several times a game to the likes of Henderson. Furthermore Karius has actually made more big mistakes with his feet in less game time - too often when he tries to hit a first time pass he mishits or under-hits passes which gave opposition chances but luckily went unpunished + some poor clearances, not to mention the mis-control slipping under his foot to let in a goal in preseason and kicking a goal kick out for a corner. Mignolet hasn't made any big mistakes with his feet this season in contrast compared to seasons before aside from the odd poor clearance as well. He has higher passing accuracy despite kicking longer. Earlier in the season he had significantly higher passing statistics 77% accuracy and 32m avg distribution length when he was kicking shorter but has been instructed to change his tactics now its 70% and 45m. What Migs doesn't have is that low side on fast long range kick that Reina did to launch counters, even keepers like Pickford have got it. But I haven't seen it from Karius either.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #1082 on: February 22, 2017, 07:52:24 am »
penga

That is a very good summary of Mignolet this season. I think that if the Mignolet we see this season is one we'd have had since he joined, everyone would be pretty pleased with him.
Now, people find it hard to look at him and make an assessment without taking into account what he used to be. For me, he's much improved over previous season(s).
But many minds are made up and won't change for any reason.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: February 22, 2017, 07:54:19 am »
Nah.

If he was one of the best shot stoppers in the league, the stats since he arrived would reflect that. As it is (as far as I'm aware) the percentage of shot he saves is actually one of the poorest (if notthe poorest) since is arrival and I'd be almost certain its far worse than the other first choice GKs of our rivals (De Gea, Cech, Courtois, Lloris) apart from Bravo

Those darn stats again eh ... made Lucas worldclass at one point didn't they.

The stats will show you a shot on target, but they won't show you how good the shot was, was it in the top corner, was it low in the corner, it won't show the power of the shot, or how close to the goal it was attempted. Stats will show a save, but they won't differentiate between a standard save in the centre of the goal, to a worldie stop.

Stats eh ...

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1084 on: February 22, 2017, 07:58:07 am »

The stats will show you a shot on target, but they won't show you how good the shot was, was it in the top corner, was it low in the corner, it won't show the power of the shot, or how close to the goal it was attempted. Stats will show a save, but they won't differentiate between a standard save in the centre of the goal, to a worldie stop.

Stats eh ...

Then again, I've even seen Mignolet slated for making a great diving save, because you know, if he had been any good he'd have the correct positioning so he wouldn't have to dive.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1085 on: February 22, 2017, 08:18:07 am »

Stats eh ...

Well no, if you said 'Lucas is one of the best tacklers in the league' and he had tackling stats to reflect that or whatever, then thats fine. You can't really say 'Mignolet is one of the best shot stoppers in the league' when the specific stat that talks about how many shots he's stopped actually suggest he's one of the poorest.

And that completely reflects in just watching him since he joined, without even talking about stats. I've lost count of the amount of shots he's let in at his near post, or close to him. This season he's improved, which is great. He's not suddenly become a different goalkeeper, we still know he's prone to costly errors and thats why we need to improve on him in the summer.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1086 on: February 22, 2017, 08:19:41 am »

Stats eh ...
Stats will define 'clear cut chances' conceded and created, which is a chance you'd 'expect' to score. Interestingly we've conceded 30 clear cut chances this season and conceded 30-goals;

Andrew Beasley‏@BassTunedToRed 

LFC have had 53 clear-cut chances in the PL and allowed 30 against, and excluding og's have scored 53 goals & conceded 30.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1087 on: February 22, 2017, 08:28:30 am »
Stats will define 'clear cut chances' conceded and created, which is a chance you'd 'expect' to score. Interestingly we've conceded 30 clear cut chances this season and conceded 30-goals;

Andrew Beasley‏@BassTunedToRed 

LFC have had 53 clear-cut chances in the PL and allowed 30 against, and excluding og's have scored 53 goals & conceded 30.

Wait....what??

That seems like the most bollocks stat ever! So we've scored every clear cut chance we've had this season......?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1088 on: February 22, 2017, 09:02:46 am »
Wait....what??

That seems like the most bollocks stat ever! So we've scored every clear cut chance we've had this season......?
No, that's not what that means. We've scored and conceded the same number of clear cut chances we've created or conceded, doesn't mean each one of those chances was converted.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1089 on: February 22, 2017, 10:13:45 am »
Another thing I found interesting from BassTunedToRed was that De Gea has only made two saves from clear cut chances this season, which backs up my earlier point that it's a lot easier to look like a great shot stopper when as a team you're reducing the quality of chances the opposition can create.

Mignolet's one against Son went down as a save from a clear cut chance. I'm not sure how many him or Karius have made throughout the entire campaign, but I bet it's at least five for Migs.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: February 22, 2017, 10:43:03 am »
The lad is always on the table when it comes to the conversation in regards to how we can strengthen the team. Personally I am content to see him in the team right now as he has easily being our best performing keeper when selected. Its all you can ask for him as he does give you 110% but as I said we could still be looking to improve on his position during the summer. Likewise with left back ..... Milner as brilliant a professional he is, is not a full back by trade so while he may still feature nearly every week as the lad will die for the cause surely we need to shedding Moreno and bringing in a long term prospect to challenge Milner. Also central defence is still lacking a great pairing and a top class option for holding midfield would not go amiss either. No harm in seeing what that option could do for the team as it may release Henderson to push forward more often. All told  our backline / CM could do with some injection of strength so when we are discussing the goalkeeper position its just part of the overall conversation in regards to pushing the team forward.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1091 on: February 22, 2017, 10:51:11 am »

Stats eh ...
Their are methods and statistics that do show that though.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #1092 on: February 26, 2017, 01:09:47 pm »
Mignolet's just said that he'd consider a move to China (and that all players would consider it). Which part of a Chinese hand would you bite for that to happen?

50 million pounds... for the famous Liverpool goalkeeper.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1093 on: February 26, 2017, 05:45:35 pm »
Basically he'd go but none of the Chinese clubs want him, sound.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #1094 on: February 26, 2017, 06:39:18 pm »
Couldn't anyway, only Chinese nationals can keep goal.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1095 on: February 27, 2017, 10:04:35 pm »
11 long balls almost all of which were in the first half and 47% pass completion tonight.

He's simply killing us.

The reason is when you look at our front 3 and 2 box-to- box midfielders behind them , we have assembled a group of players that can only play in one way which is combinations and interchanging on the deck - there isn't one thing about them that tells you they can scrap for second balls and take it from yet whether it's tonight or any other game where opposition presses us a bit in our half it's aimless hoofing which doesn't allow us to get into any rhythm whatsoever.

He's not even trying those diagonals , long passes out to fullbacks which most keepers of possession teams do in those situations. You can't be a consistently good possession team if your keeper is allergic to the ball. Impossible.

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #1096 on: February 27, 2017, 10:07:51 pm »
Somebody change the title of this thread  :butt

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1097 on: February 27, 2017, 10:12:48 pm »
Had the nerve to criticise the Leicester players' mentality.

Think about that a second.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #1098 on: February 27, 2017, 10:16:40 pm »
I do hope the thread title is sarcastic.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1099 on: February 27, 2017, 10:18:22 pm »
I do hope the thread title is sarcastic.

It was made when he had a great game, I don't know if they change it every time he has a bad game or not.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #1100 on: February 27, 2017, 10:26:47 pm »
Kneejerks (and regular jerks) in the post match topic please. 

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
Simon Mignolet
« Reply #1101 on: April 8, 2017, 06:07:31 pm »
Won us 3 points today. 2 point blank saves. Dominant inside the box and made quite few good punches.

• Legacy Fan
Re: Simon Mignolet
« Reply #1102 on: April 8, 2017, 06:08:42 pm »
World class saves today. Been very good this season as a whole.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #1103 on: April 8, 2017, 06:22:35 pm »
Great saves. Maybe they will give him a bit of confidence to up his game on a regular basis.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1104 on: April 8, 2017, 06:24:10 pm »
peeled grapes for this fella tonight
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Online daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #1105 on: April 8, 2017, 06:31:56 pm »
Massive performance from simon, very dominant and confident against a physical team. Shot stopping has never been an issue, but if he commands the box like he did today during games, we can't complain. It's a tricky situation, having loris on the bench isn't it.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1106 on: April 8, 2017, 06:32:40 pm »
Those saves were top class today

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #1107 on: April 8, 2017, 06:44:16 pm »
Brilliant saves that keep the score to 1.

My MOTM.
#JFT97

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: April 8, 2017, 06:46:03 pm »
Won us 3 points today. 2 point blank saves. Dominant inside the box and made quite few good punches.

That he did. Well done Si, keep its up!
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1109 on: April 8, 2017, 06:47:22 pm »
I don't think his shot stopping has ever been in doubt it's the other parts of his game that have let him down. Kicked it far too often for me today given we had Woodburn and Origi upfront. If you could have Migs shot stopping and Karius's ability with his feet then you would have a top goalie.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1110 on: April 8, 2017, 06:51:00 pm »
If you could have Migs shot stopping and Karius's ability with his feet then you would have a top goalie.
This for me as well. I still have a massive problem with his distribution, sometimes he seems to think he plays for Wimbledon `89.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1111 on: April 8, 2017, 06:56:21 pm »
Loves a save against Stoke doesn't he. He's been pretty solid since he reclaimed his spot. Well done Migs.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1112 on: April 8, 2017, 07:29:27 pm »
Great saves. Maybe they will give him a bit of confidence to up his game on a regular basis.

Three posts in and we get this. Ffs   :butt
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #1113 on: April 8, 2017, 07:31:31 pm »
Loves a save against Stoke doesn't he. He's been pretty solid since he reclaimed his spot. Well done Migs.

Saved a penalty in his first match
#JFT97

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #1114 on: April 8, 2017, 07:31:32 pm »
Realistically we need better but he played a huge part in us getting three huge points.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #1115 on: April 8, 2017, 07:32:15 pm »
2 ridiculously good saves.
Like scoring a brace.

Motm.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1116 on: April 8, 2017, 07:32:48 pm »
That save at 2-1 was one of those most important saves a Liverpool keeper has made, dread to think what effect it would have had on the team to concede directly after taking the lead  :(

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #1117 on: April 8, 2017, 07:34:46 pm »
Great saves at critical times today. What a goalie should do. Well in Simon
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #1118 on: April 8, 2017, 07:58:12 pm »
Realistically we need better but he played a huge part in us getting three huge points.

Correct on both counts.

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #1119 on: April 8, 2017, 08:02:52 pm »
Incredible saves today. It pisses me off how quick people are to have a go at him. He fucks up occasionally on the 'easy' stuff. But he is one of the best shot stoppers in Europe. I know, if we aspire to be one of the top sides in Europe, we need a keeper that does the lot. But very few keepers would have saved those today. Brilliant from Simon.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...