Author Topic: West Ham v Liverpool, FA Cup Fourth round (replay), Tuesday, 9th February, 19:45  (Read 41197 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

So, fast approaching is the game we were hoping to avoid.
It wasn't to be though, as a very young team we fielded last Saturday fought hard but was denied a victory.
Final result was 0-0 and this means that the tie will be settled on West Hams ground in little over two days.

Cameron Brannagan - playing like he means it

Our youth played well and more then held their ground in the last match.
It was good to see them strut about with intent and courage. Standout performers were probably Brannagan and Smith, though Teixeira and Stewart weren't far behind. We were clearly better then West Ham, with superior control of the game, more shots and chances, but verve and intent shown by kids wasn't matched by more regular and senior players - a theme that culminated in Aspasesque free kick by Jose Enrique in the closing moments of the game. No hard feelings though - the positives I took from this match far outweigh obvious problems we have with some players and their confidence and/or quality.

When did it all go wrong Jose?

Now we're about to head into the replay - once again severely crippled by injuries though this time with a glimmer of hope by the possible return of at least Sturridge - who is expected to feature in at least a part of this game after he was on the bench against Sunderland. Klopps hand is probably forced by the amount of games and injuries we're carrying - I expect once again to see a mixed lineup of youth and fringe players and to be honest I'm looking forward to it.

Kids are alright and though playing away, against a very good team is a very different proposal to the last game - I'm hopeful they'll once again prove that all it really takes is a bit of bad intent and courage - something sorely lacking from most of our 'first team'. these days. Also in light of what happened yesterday, the normally incredible Traveling Kop is probably going to be on yet another level.

Two former defenders with a taste for hard rock/heavy metal - Football is in good hands

There is so much we can still do this season - though our League campaign is looking bleak and disheartening.
But we have to start somewhere, we have to grind out hard fought victories and do it in testing times.
This game could be a great pivot point for us - let's use it.

I hope that those who step on to the pitch on Tuesday have at least 77 reasons not to accept anything less then a victory.
Style can come later - grit has to come now.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Top banana, cheers Zlen, great OP and some very polished graphics there too :wave

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
Really need to play a strong team for this.  The league is gone, we should be concentrating on the cups - but the question is, what is our strongest team?

I want to see Ward get a game here.  A good performance and I think he should be keeping his place.  Mignolet cost us points again vs Sunderland and Ward deserves a chance to show what he can do and not just for this one game.

At left back, Moreno has been poor in recent weeks, despite being a fan of his, I think Brad Smith should be starting this one.  On the other side, Flanagan has to start.  Clyne has played more football than most but Flanagan deserves a start after performing so well in his comeback game.

At centre back, Sakho (again, despite being a big fan of his) has been out of form for weeks now and with Lovren likely to miss this game after his hamstring injury, we are looking at Caulker, Toure and Ilori for the centre back spots.  I'd go with Caulker and Toure.

Had Joe Allen not gone off against Sunderland, we'd probably see him starting this one too but the hamstring problem he picked up most likely rules him out too.  With Hendo seemingly still playing through injury, we are looking at Can, Lucas and Brannagan (a stand out performer in his handful of games this season) for the centre midfield spots.

I can see Sturridge starting this one on the bench again, with him getting some minutes towards the end of the game.  Which means Benteke will probably get another opportunity with our main man at the moment (Firmino) rested. With Benteke starting, I'd go with Ojo and Ibe down the wings and Teixeira as the number 10.

Benteke
Ojo Teixeira Ibe
Lucas Brannagan
Smith Caulker Toure Flanagan
Ward

Subs: Mignolet, Clyne, Ilori, Can, Milner, Lallana, Sturridge

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Really need to play our strongest team for this.

Benteke
Ojo Teixeira Ibe
Lucas Brannagan
Smith Caulker Toure Flanagan
Ward

Subs: Mignolet, Clyne, Ilori, Can, Milner, Lallana, Sturridge

How is that our strongest side?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

That's right.

Our strongest side is injured, we have no strongest side and we have too many injuries and games to drive some players into the ground.
Question is not if we'll see a mixed team - we definitely will - it's more what players are coming back from injuries and how many minutes can we get from them without throwing their recovery into question.

Mignolet will probably start, Benteke might as well - these are the games he gets minutes in these days.
I would keep Ibe for second half - he obviously plays better when he's not starting - as demonstrated yesterday.

But really it'll depend on who is available and fit enough - and of this we can only speculate.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
Ward
Flanagan Toure Caulker Smith
Brannagan Stewart
Ibe Teixeira Ojo
Origi

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
Ward
Brannagan Stewart
Ibe Teixeira Ojo
Origi

Good shout altho i think Migs,Benteke will start & Sturridge will get 30 mins too.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2016, 03:22:22 pm by DAVO1 »

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
Good shout altho i think Migs,Benteke will start & Sturridge will get 30 mins too.

Also worth noting that Lucas didn't play yesterday ( bar 5 mins) so my well get time in this
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
I know the kids did well last time but West Ham were poor & away from home is a big factor.

As we are not making the CL I hope we play the strongest team available against West Ham & all the cup competitions now on. 

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
We lose this one and well have the FA cup weekend to rest. Maybe what the squad and gaffer need.
Seen us win everything

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan

Other than Firmino, does anyone have an argument for being an automatic starter right now?

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Other than Firmino, does anyone have an argument for being an automatic starter right now?

No they don't,I don't think we actually have  a guaranteed  'strongest 11' at the moment, because sadly I don't think we enough decent players who can claim to be part of such a line up.

No idea who will start for this one, but I really hope players who don't deserve a start don't get one. Players like Mignolet for example have had enough chances to get their act together, but still continue to fuck up.

Hope Ward gets his chance to prove himself worthy of a start on Tuesday.

« Last Edit: February 7, 2016, 04:40:17 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
I know the kids did well last time but West Ham were poor & away from home is a big factor.

As we are not making the CL I hope we play the strongest team available against West Ham & all the cup competitions now on. 

I think he'll play a similar team to the one at Anfield. I don't think Klopp is ready to give up on the league as much as some would like him to on here.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan

I think he'll play a similar team to the one at Anfield. I don't think Klopp is ready to give up on the league as much as some would like him to on here.

But does that mean he is giving up on the FA Cup?

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Ward
Brannagan Stewart
Ibe Teixeira Ojo
Origi

I like this team. Is Origi fit? If so, happy days.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️

The lads that played the first game deserve another crack

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan

We dont play till Sunday though so some recovery time.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
It's amazing people watch Moreno, Sakho, Mignolet, and Lallana put in ineffectual/average/poor performances every week and yet still feel that Smith, Caulker, Ward, and Tex would be a 'weaker side'.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!:
Lots of U21's didn;t play against City today - likely to be the bulk of the starting team
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
Just want to see Firmino and Sturridge together on the pitch for once. Reckon it would be absolute crackers, especially with Phil behind them. Don`t understand why most want to throw this cup away but if we win it could be one of those Leeds `01 moments that inspire a good cup run.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
I just want to see Ward in goal and not another spineless performance if possible.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Would mix a few from Saturday with a few from the first whu game. Also give Danny Ward a go.

Ward
Flanno Caulker Sakho Smith

Henderson Lucas

Ibe                                     Tex
                Brannagan
                    Firmino

Bench: Mignolet, Toure, Moreno, Can, Milner, Coutinho, Sturridge

Strong bench.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2016, 05:08:02 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
It's amazing people watch Moreno, Sakho, Mignolet, and Lallana put in ineffectual/average/poor performances every week and yet still feel that Smith, Caulker, Ward, and Tex would be a 'weaker side'.

Exactly. Do any of the players on the left (fit/healthy players with the most minutes played this season) really deserve another start over their potential replacements on the right?

Mignolet v Ward

Moreno v Smith

Sakho v Caulker

Lovren v Toure

Clyne v Flanagan

Lucas v Allen

Can v Brannagan

Henderson v Teixeira

Milner v Ojo

Lallana v Ibe

Firmino v Benteke

The only ones you can make a case for would be Clyne and Firmino.  Flanagan will likely start over Clyne and Firmino is likely to be rested, as will Henderson as he's playing with an injury.

*no other fit like-for-like replacement

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Start Sturridge, Benteke and Firmino up top and Flanagan and Smith at the back.

Don't give a shit about the rest.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Psychadelic

• Kemlynite
I'll be surprised if Mignolet plays, he looks shot.

Sakho I think will start, if only because there's no one else. So him and caulker at the back. The rest of the team might get rotated, Klopp always does that.

Hope to see Origi and Sturridge back playing.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan

Wrong vowel in shot I think.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
START STURRIDGE

Is Lovren out injured? I'd have liked to see him alongside Caulker just like in the first match as Sakho looks shot, but if he isn't available then I suppose it'll have to be Caulker and Sakho out there. Having at least one CB who can win headers should help, as we're going to get bombarded. My only hope in us scoring rests with Firmino amd Sturridge, assuming the latter plays of course.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
put the strongest side....ie the kids
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...

Sakho I think will start, if only because there's no one else. So him and caulker at the back. The rest of the team might get rotated, Klopp always does that.

Hope to see Origi and Sturridge back playing.

Typo? Torn between playing the 'kids' and the 'strongest' team in this one. Whilst we should obviously do our best to win every game our hopes of achieving anything in the league are long gone and the cups represent the best chance of salvaging something from this season. The team that played the initial game against West Ham gave a good account of themselves and could have won whilst the first choice team produces shit on a stick football week-in, week-out. So which team should we field to give ourselves the best chance of progressing? I think that we should stick with roughly the same side from the first leg to be honest.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
If we can't beat West Ham at the 4th attempt then this really will stand out as a complete and utter fuck-up of a season.
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
If we can't beat West Ham at the 4th attempt then this really will stand out as a complete and utter fuck-up of a season.
We`re yet to score a goal against them let alone beat them.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
final game we'll ever play at Upton Park....would be nice to sign off there with a - 4th time lucky - win...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Oh god....

Feels like walking in front of a firing squad after the way we capitulated against Sunderland..

Bra again in midfield please!  (Not just for this game either).
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Hope Ward starts.

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
The cups are the only chance we have of making anything worth remembering from a season of shite in the league . I would quite gladly accept seeing some of those players we have seen thus far in the cup, henceforth play in the league games......and switch our focus 100% to winning something in the Cups .

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
I like this team. Is Origi fit? If so, happy days.

Yes, he's fit. He's been training for a few days. As have Coutinho and Sturridge.

I expect all 3 to play a part and Sturridge to possibly start.
YWNA

Offline redjed1

• Kopite
Yes, he's fit. He's been training for a few days. As have Coutinho and Sturridge.

I expect all 3 to play a part and Sturridge to possibly start.

Hope so.
Maybe in a diamond with 2 strikers. Ward in goal, behind a strong defence (if we can come up with one).

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Thanks for the OP.

Sturridge, Ojo and Ward must play. We need to look at Ward and give Ojo some game time to see what he can do. Henderson probably won't play due to his injury. Let's see what Chalker can do also.
#JFT97

Offline ranimi

• Anny Roader
Is Klopp available for this game?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Is Klopp available for this game?

Late fitness test.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.