Author Topic: MOTD & The Emancipation Of Enrique  (Read 6703 times)

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
  • Follow me: @BreakfastPercy
MOTD & The Emancipation Of Enrique
« on: November 22, 2012, 10:32:37 am »
After amazing feedback for my Suarez post, and kind requests for more, I hope this isn't too much a case of the disappointing sequel. Something to chew over the morning coffee, instead of events elsewhere! WARNING contains graphic descriptions of Harry Redknapp...

Six Degrees of Separation (SDS): the theory that everyone is, on average, approximately six steps away (by way of introduction) from any other person in the world.

A relatively well-known, but by now dusty, social experiment, SDS is the theme of some new ads for mobile network 'EE'. You might have seen Kevin Bacon's 'Jedward' hair-do during one of them, and in the ad released next month he kills them with a pickaxe. Twenty years on, perhaps the theory needed a makeover.

It was whilst watching Match Of The Day (MOTD) on Saturday night, that I had a scientific breakthrough. I realized this theory could easily be condensed, since everybody is linked simply by the fact that if you have a pulse (negotiable), Harry Redknapp has probably tried to sign you. It's even more likely if you've played well on any given week. Harry Redknapp is middle man to the world, or so he says.

Alas my eureka moment was fleeting, and hopes of a Social Sciences grant evaporated when I remembered 'Arry had signed Peter Crouch three times. A scouting network sprawling Toxteth to Timbuktu, and he's signed 'Crouchie' three times? The man's claims would make a Football Manager addict blush, sales patter pouring from his mouth like a Magician's handkerchiefs.

At least Lawrenson wasn't on for the weekly jowl-off, himself a mixture of limp sarcasm and riding the fence so hard I'm surprised we never see him climax. I sometimes wonder whether him and Redknapp are a two-man cult, religiously stockpiling skin for the afterlife. And I almost pity Alan Hansen, who looks like he's one David Luiz mistake away from just packing life in. Or better still, he'll snap, grease himself up like Bronson, and yell 'diabolical' until security drags him butt-naked from the building.

The channel would be wise to heed its history. The BBC- forever the martyr to its self-recrimination- aired a documentary last year called 'Top of the Pops: The Story of 1976'. It was accidental viewing, but it showed how TOTP became a garish parody of itself; the presenters and gimmicks more important than the music. When the show started to dictate the music, rather than the other way around, the program lost touch. Sound familiar?

I didn't survive MOTD past the Suarez 'stamp', choosing instead the full, unadulterated second half of Liverpool 3-0 Wigan. I was rewarded by Jose Enrique in all his rippling glory. A juxtaposition if ever there was one. You see if mankind proves the existence of God, José Enrique proves God does a shit load of drugs. He's visually baffling; physically unsettling; sexually questioning. Dani Pacheco still tears up at the merest mention of last year's team-building trip to Alton Towers. And yet, we love that crazy Motherfucker.

Unlike Harry Redknapp, Jose Enrique isn't conceited. He doesn't have an 'angle'. Unlike Lawrenson (and Stewart Downing), he isn't content with treading water and playing it safe. After a few weeks out, it would have been easy for him to duck responsibility. Yet every idiotic five yard pass misplaced, every powerhouse dribble, comes from a truthful naïvety that's far more palatable than MOTD's self-sanitizing slop. It was a pleasure to see a player freed like Jose was, rumbling down the wing like a sexed-up man-boulder.

Not every player is a Michelangelo, some are just the mallet. And if ever there was a mallet, it's Jose. But whilst the title of 'pragmatist' is reserved for managers who juggle their squad like a street-performer, sometimes pragmatism is about clearing the work space so the maestro has room to create. Rodgers has done that with Suarez, and is only now introducing his more limited players in functional roles. For Jose, Rodgers now finds a place in the team that makes little of his deficiencies, but liberates his strengths. Similarly, I don't ask that Harry Redknapp start name-dropping his favorite Trequartistas, just that he free himself enough from CV-plugging to do what he's fucking paid for.

Garry Neville analyses one corner and there's not a dry seat in the house. He's punditry's Pavlovian dog. Journalists miserably shackled to the gossip machine, waiting for somebody to make tactical analysis vogue, keep feeding Gary a biscuit and tickling his belly, because they hope he'll start the revolution for them. He can't do it on his own.

And so I suggest to 'Arry, face bubbling lazily like a Raheem Sterling bath-time fart, that he and his chums cast a glance towards 'El Toro'. Jose Enrique is a clear-as-day example that football fans don't demand perfection. We appreciate simplicity,  functionality and honesty too. Just have a bloody good go at it instead of covering your arse! We've seen your handwriting Harry, we know you're capable of simple, so take a leaf out of Jose's coloring book.

The BBC owes more than sly PR. It's about time Match Of The Day cleared the workspace and let their Michelangelo, the entire bloody Premier League, take the lead. If they're not prepared to show that kind of pragmatism, then they had better hope Lineker has plenty of Top Of The Pops re-runs to fill his Saturday nights.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
Re: MOTD & The Emancipation Of Enrique
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 10:52:15 am »
Very good. Agree entirely about Lawro and Hansen; problem is that despite his self-promotion and awful cliches, 'Arry does actually know and understand the game. The other two weakly let their "analysis" fit the scoreline.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 11:01:45 am »
You forgot to mention we do have a slot on MOTD, its called "Final game of the evening". 3 goals and we still can't get more coverage than the Mancs on an off day.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 11:04:29 am »
If you're after a critique, it wasn't as good as your Suarez post, and a bit confused on subect matter and point.

Still a pleasant read though. You've definitely got a flair for the descriptive one liner! ;)
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 11:20:44 am »
Great piece mate, loved it, made me laugh thank you
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Big Gogz

• Main Stander
  • Come Onnnnnn
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 11:34:28 am »
 :)

Liked it mate - good call. Someone in a previous thread had said of Harry - "he only has to catch us looking at a player on a Panini card for him to try and sign him" - such a good line, well worth mention again here, and well on topic.

With regards to TOTP comparsions, my 12 year old son loves watching football with me, but can't stand MOTD - " i can't stand listening to the chat on about it Dad, I wanna watch it" he complains, which is I think what you were saying, MOTD should be about football, not about self important talking heads.

Enrique was great, hope he keeps it up, yes he will make mistakes but with that kind of passion I am sure he'll be forgiven.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 12:04:02 pm »

At least Lawrenson wasn't on for the weekly jowl-off, himself a mixture of limp sarcasm and riding the fence so hard I'm surprised we never see him climax. I sometimes wonder whether him and Redknapp are a two-man cult, religiously stockpiling skin for the afterlife. And I almost pity Alan Hansen, who looks like he's one David Luiz mistake away from just packing life in. Or better still, he'll snap, grease himself up like Bronson, and yell 'diabolical' until security drags him butt-naked from the building.

;D

Loving it BP, keep em coming

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 12:09:48 pm »
You forgot to mention we do have a slot on MOTD, its called "Final game of the evening". 3 goals and we still can't get more coverage than the Mancs on an off day.

Well yeah, because Norwich beating Man United was a big shock. Us beating Wigan was only a wee one.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 12:32:50 pm »
Good OP. A bit slow to the point, but the one liners made up for it. The 'cult' encompassing Redknapp and Lawrenson was particularly amusing.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 12:40:20 pm »
Keep it coming, these are good.

I wonder what an 'Arry "we tried to sign him" XI would look like. Pretty formidable.

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 01:05:13 pm »
I sometimes wonder whether him and Redknapp are a two-man cult, religiously stockpiling skin for the afterlife.

:D

Offline Pendzo

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 01:30:38 pm »
:lmao

Definitely do not read this whilst 'chewing over morning coffee'.

That Hansen and Luiz line, hahaha.

Offline Madron

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 01:59:39 pm »

Offline Reepicheep

• Main Stander
  • This is where we fight! This is where they die!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »
Loved the post mate.Its great to find gems like this that actually have a bit of insight into a player as well as tickle the funny bone.

Got to confess though, this part baffled me:

Dani Pacheco still tears up at the merest mention of last year's team-building trip to Alton Towers. And yet, we love that crazy Motherfucker.

Is there something i missed somewhere?I googled "dani pacheco alton towers" but all I found was a parody account tweet?
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
― Oscar Wilde

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 02:24:08 pm »
 :wellin

Great post mate.

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 02:27:16 pm »
Outstanding.

The channel would be wise to heed its history. The BBC- forever the martyr to its self-recrimination- aired a documentary last year called 'Top of the Pops: The Story of 1976'. It was accidental viewing, but it showed how TOTP became a garish parody of itself; the presenters and gimmicks more important than the music. When the show started to dictate the music, rather than the other way around, the program lost touch. Sound familiar?

yes, but I doubt that quite as many of the presenters of MOTD will be outed as sex offenders.

Offline trenchtownrasta

• fairy anne
  • Kopite
  • you may say I'm a dreamer,but I'm not the only one
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 02:38:30 pm »
Loved the post mate.Its great to find gems like this that actually have a bit of insight into a player as well as tickle the funny bone.

Got to confess though, this part baffled me:

Is there something i missed somewhere?I googled "dani pacheco alton towers" but all I found was a parody account tweet?

Haha you looking it up makes it even funnier.
'Say what you like about deaf people'.

Offline Reepicheep

• Main Stander
  • This is where we fight! This is where they die!
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 02:40:12 pm »
Haha you looking it up makes it even funnier.

Well....I honestly have no idea what that means.. seriously, clue us in if you do.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
― Oscar Wilde

Offline markthescouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 05:15:02 pm »
Well....I honestly have no idea what that means.. seriously, clue us in if you do.
Gavin and Stacey fishing trip esque. I agree though, you looking it up made me laugh a lot.

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 05:40:20 pm »
 ;D Top read again. Thanks BP.

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
  • Follow me: @BreakfastPercy
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 06:40:50 pm »
Cheers you lot I take it all on board. Much obliged!

I thought everybody knew about the Alton Towers thing?

Offline jaysinghy80

• Boys Pen
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 08:54:23 am »
Hahahaha this was brilliant!  :wellin

Thanks for making me laugh so early in the day!

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 04:33:18 pm »
 :wellin
Another excellent post BP. Enjoyed that
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 04:37:50 pm »
Good stuff! ;D

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 05:52:10 pm »
Laughed out loud 3 times reading that. Very well written.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline AnyGivenSunday

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
MOTD & The Emancipation Of Enrique
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 06:23:51 pm »
Bloody brilliant. Cheers :wave

royhendo

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 09:01:09 am »
BreakfastPercy, I missed this. Please keep em coming. :)

royhendo

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 09:06:36 am »
And I switch on the radio, and lo and behold, the voice of Harry Redknapp, and Gary Richardson, who says, "Harry, I know you have an encyclopedic knowledge of players...".

Laughed out loud. :)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 11:18:40 am »
Smashing. Tickety boo, pip, pip, Sir Percy.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/