Author Topic: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread  (Read 58429 times)

Offline ladcameo

• Kopite
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
Re: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread
« Reply #880 on: May 10, 2012, 03:35:08 pm »
i went to liverpool on tuesday afternoon for the match with 100% battery,i took pictures,recorded videos,used maps and when i boarded the bus in the night it was 45 %

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #881 on: May 10, 2012, 08:42:33 pm »
Had mine restart itself a few times tonight, quite annoying. Was listening to music in the car and it just reset itself.
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline gaz_h

• Main Stander
« Reply #882 on: May 10, 2012, 09:07:56 pm »
Had mine restart itself a few times tonight, quite annoying. Was listening to music in the car and it just reset itself.

Main reason I got rid of mine. Gone with an iPhone for a bit might come back if this years Nexus is any good. Personally think the S3 looks not much better than the S2, which I think was a fantastic phone, apart from the heating up and restarts.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #883 on: May 10, 2012, 09:54:01 pm »
I'm using the latest release of CM9, no battery issues at all.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #884 on: May 10, 2012, 10:16:52 pm »

same here, loving cm9, very stable as well

only issue i had was with Viber but downloading the apk from the site rather than google play sorted that
STFU and agree with me.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
Re: Re: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread
« Reply #885 on: May 10, 2012, 11:18:40 pm »
same here, loving cm9, very stable as well

only issue i had was with Viber but downloading the apk from the site rather than google play sorted that

Don't think I could ever go back to touch wiz.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #886 on: May 11, 2012, 10:08:09 am »
If you are a Liverpool fan and are rocking CM9 (Which now supports themes).

You will want this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cerqueira.theme.Red

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #887 on: May 11, 2012, 11:57:45 am »

Where do you get that from mate?

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #888 on: May 11, 2012, 01:59:16 pm »
Had a couple of problems with service. Received all texts during the day at the same time at like 10pm the other day, despite having signal the whole day. Also sometimes mobile data doesn't appear (even though it's switched on). Have to restart it sometimes for it to turn back on. Was fine before ICS update.

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #889 on: May 11, 2012, 03:23:24 pm »
Had a couple of problems with service. Received all texts during the day at the same time at like 10pm the other day, despite having signal the whole day. Also sometimes mobile data doesn't appear (even though it's switched on). Have to restart it sometimes for it to turn back on. Was fine before ICS update.

What service provider are you with?

My wife gets this all the time on Orange. She sometimes receives voicemails a week after they were left.
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline Pendzo

• Kopite
« Reply #890 on: May 11, 2012, 11:35:15 pm »

I'm with T-Mobile and i get this sometimes too  :-\

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #891 on: May 12, 2012, 06:56:45 am »
I;m with T-mobile and recently the service has been rubbish. The mobile internet has gone down the toilet. In my house I used to get HSPA or whatever it is everywhere I went, recently though I'm lucky to get G show up in the notification bar. That can't load anything. My phone seems to take up a crap load of Wifi bandwidth as well, in some cases turning off my phones Wifi has allowed me to sign into PSN without a problem and not get disconnected. God knows how.

The internet works perfectly outdoors though where it counts though.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: May 12, 2012, 10:58:37 pm »
Battery wise I've found that the standard browser is a lot better than Dolphin. Dolphin browser was sucking over 50% in the background, standard just 23%.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #893 on: May 13, 2012, 02:12:42 pm »
I'm on Vodafone. Has to be an ICS problem then if it's happening with different networks.

Offline chrisG

• Anny Roader
« Reply #894 on: May 13, 2012, 04:04:15 pm »
Girlfriend has problems with ICS and the Twlauncher. Fixed it by backing everything up and restoring to factory settings. If anyone has problems I suggest the same.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #895 on: May 14, 2012, 08:49:33 am »
All of you can solve your problems very quickly. Root your phones ;D

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #896 on: May 14, 2012, 01:26:27 pm »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: May 14, 2012, 05:38:00 pm »
After a week I'm loving cm9. It makes miui rom look like a pile of shit. Miui was so buggy
STFU and agree with me.

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #898 on: May 15, 2012, 09:16:58 pm »
Had the same problem today. Just got all the texts i should have had earlier today when i restarted my phone...

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #899 on: May 15, 2012, 11:02:55 pm »
not sure about downloading ICS too many bad comments on here. I am on voda - Do you fellers recon I should stay away until it sorts itself out ?

also I keep getting notifications through saying battery updates or upgrades due ? Is this a third party thing or would samsung send such a thing ? how can a battery be updated anyway? it is what it is right!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: May 15, 2012, 11:16:31 pm »
it's been installed with some dodgy marketplace crap, likely an mp3 downloader

STFU and agree with me.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #901 on: May 16, 2012, 08:57:07 am »
Got my ICS from a vodafone update over the air, and it's fucking turd.

As an OS I think it's got a few improvements but the battery life is dog shit and it's started thinking it's on charge all the time, showing the message 'charging paused, voltage too high' until the 'connect your charger' warning appears. From looking about on forums, it seems to be an issue with Vodafones version of ICS, rather than hardware related but I'd be interested to know if anyone not on VF has had this issue.

Just going to root it now I think, and put on a custom ROM.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #902 on: May 16, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »
Got my ICS from a vodafone update over the air, and it's fucking turd.

As an OS I think it's got a few improvements but the battery life is dog shit and it's started thinking it's on charge all the time, showing the message 'charging paused, voltage too high' until the 'connect your charger' warning appears. From looking about on forums, it seems to be an issue with Vodafones version of ICS, rather than hardware related but I'd be interested to know if anyone not on VF has had this issue.

Just going to root it now I think, and put on a custom ROM.

Yep, had exactly the same on T Mobile and currently going through the process of rooting.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #903 on: May 16, 2012, 12:47:04 pm »
Yep, had exactly the same on T Mobile and currently going through the process of rooting.

How can they not have a fix for this yet? Its really really fucking poor. On the plus side it's forcing me into rooting, which I've intended to do for a while but never got around to.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #904 on: May 17, 2012, 12:06:02 pm »
How can they not have a fix for this yet? Its really really fucking poor. On the plus side it's forcing me into rooting, which I've intended to do for a while but never got around to.

Well, I've tried rooting for a day and still the exact same problems, even with a different Kernel that is eating my battery alive, it's showing very high percentages of battery drain. That was with CM9 and their kernel and I also tried the Siyah kernel as well.

I've now tried 2 official 2.3.5 Samsung ROMS, which gave me freezes, screen keeping awake and other issues and I'm on my 2nd 4.0.3 official Samsung ROM which again, is giving me problems and vast battery drains. I haven't even installed any apps other than the ones packaged on the ROMs and it's still draining so it's nothing to do with apps running in the background.

it's never connected to Kies since the original update I did through Kies yet connects everytime to Odin. I've a feeling mine might be a hardware problem and I think it may concern the micro USB port because no matter what I've tried, I can't fix the battery drain issue.

I've order a micro USB jig to reset the binary count and then it's going back into it's box and I'm going into a T Mobile shop and taking it back, they won't fob me off with their usual smartphones eat batterys shit anymore, it's actually unusable at the moment and I certainly can't rely on it. Currently, I've just took it off full charge 20 mins ago and it's been sat here with screen off, untouched and it's already down to 95% with Android OS at 91%.

Was really looking forward to this phone but to say it's put me off it forever is an understatement, I knew I should have just got an HTC One S and I know I'm just one of the unlucky one.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #905 on: May 18, 2012, 01:09:19 pm »
Well, I've tried rooting for a day and still the exact same problems, even with a different Kernel that is eating my battery alive, it's showing very high percentages of battery drain. That was with CM9 and their kernel and I also tried the Siyah kernel as well.

I've now tried 2 official 2.3.5 Samsung ROMS, which gave me freezes, screen keeping awake and other issues and I'm on my 2nd 4.0.3 official Samsung ROM which again, is giving me problems and vast battery drains. I haven't even installed any apps other than the ones packaged on the ROMs and it's still draining so it's nothing to do with apps running in the background.

it's never connected to Kies since the original update I did through Kies yet connects everytime to Odin. I've a feeling mine might be a hardware problem and I think it may concern the micro USB port because no matter what I've tried, I can't fix the battery drain issue.

I've order a micro USB jig to reset the binary count and then it's going back into it's box and I'm going into a T Mobile shop and taking it back, they won't fob me off with their usual smartphones eat batterys shit anymore, it's actually unusable at the moment and I certainly can't rely on it. Currently, I've just took it off full charge 20 mins ago and it's been sat here with screen off, untouched and it's already down to 95% with Android OS at 91%.

Was really looking forward to this phone but to say it's put me off it forever is an understatement, I knew I should have just got an HTC One S and I know I'm just one of the unlucky one.

That's not very promising. I will give the rooting a go to see if it makes a difference. My main issue is the warning message that keeps the screen turned on. I can't put up with that for another year.

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
« Reply #906 on: May 21, 2012, 01:49:30 pm »
Any way you can get the S3 features onto the S2 using the leaked ROM?

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #907 on: May 22, 2012, 08:16:10 pm »
Anybody got a good root guide? Thinking about having a go at this.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline Neoto

• Anny Roader
  • $_$
« Reply #908 on: May 23, 2012, 05:42:19 pm »
I've found that leaving the web browser "on" has a detrimental affect on battery life. I use Dolphin Browser HD on my S2 and if i press the home button to leave the app, the battery life gets totally raped. If I close the app via settings or using the supplied Task Manager to force close it, my battery easily lasts a day and a bit. Noticed no difference with ICS update (which I got OTA). If I don't close the browser I'll be lucky to make it to 6pm with charge left.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #909 on: May 23, 2012, 06:41:33 pm »
My battery drained in five hours today. No idea why
STFU and agree with me.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread
« Reply #910 on: May 23, 2012, 09:28:27 pm »

install Better Battery Stats, the best app to identify warlocks etc.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread
« Reply #911 on: May 23, 2012, 09:29:18 pm »
My phone stopped working, could not justify spending a load of money just for the same device so I have moved over to the nexus.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #912 on: May 24, 2012, 07:43:41 am »
Well I'm fed up, it's going back to the shop tonight and let them sort it out, pile of shite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: May 24, 2012, 07:48:15 am »
So did mine, was bizarre. Also getting storage space is low for some reason, got a 32gb SD card with all the apps on it and just a couple on the phones memory.

Offline AM76

• Joylessly cynical skimreader aka IQ76
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #914 on: May 25, 2012, 09:48:38 pm »
Reading this thread makes me glad I got an iPhone 4s 3 weeks ago. Had an htc desire when that came out and after an over the air update it went to shit and htc refused to repair it is was left without a smart phone for the remaing 15 months of my contract. 

Used to hate having to check what was eating the battery and the other pissing around that goes with android phones.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #915 on: May 26, 2012, 11:30:15 am »
Mate was on about his battery kept dying..turns out he always had his data connection on. If you've got loads n loads of apps it will be hammering the data and thus the battery
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #916 on: May 26, 2012, 08:08:42 pm »
Reading this thread makes me glad I got an iPhone 4s 3 weeks ago. Had an htc desire when that came out and after an over the air update it went to shit and htc refused to repair it is was left without a smart phone for the remaing 15 months of my contract. 

Used to hate having to check what was eating the battery and the other pissing around that goes with android phones.

Lucky you. iphones are gay though and its not just the way you hold them.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #917 on: May 27, 2012, 01:06:16 am »
had my fone at 85% when i left my house 1hour later it was dead completely only used it to send a couple of pics through whats app  ive uninstalled facebook cos its getting to the point where my battery is dying within 3/4 hrs if i dont keep it on charge only started having these problems after i installed ics on t-mobile :butt

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: June 3, 2012, 09:28:54 pm »
Got the phone back on Friday from T Mobile and the battery is now much improved and none of the other faults either. Connects to Kies straight away, can drag and drop as a media device and no voltage warnings when charging. All they have done is updated the phones firmware according to the bloke in T Mobile, no software was altered, all apps were on as I left it. They did take my Zagg screen protector off for no apparent reason and wreck it though, but at least the phone is now able to be used as intended on ICS.

Offline Des Equilibrante

• Legacy Fan
  • Ex-pat Pie-Eater
« Reply #919 on: June 4, 2012, 12:15:37 am »
s3 arrived friday. fuckin hell it's cool.
Some say he haunts Rawk threads.

All we know is, he's called Des Equilibrante