Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge  (Read 336073 times)

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
Re: Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2016, 01:30:20 pm »
I'm just drooling at the thought of Danny, Mane and coutinho all linking up very well. Pace, intellegince, quick through balls and precise finishing. That, my friends is called a complete combination.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline ricen

• peas
  • Kopite
  • "That's how you get ants."
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2016, 01:39:21 pm »
coutinho studge mane
            firmino

the sheer pace of that front line is disgusting. Maybe the mancs have a front line that could be that fast, but they won't play it (depay, martial, lingaard, mata). the thought of studge stretching the backline in two directions with mane makes me drool. this is the main element i feel our attack has been missing.

then the thought of firmino with all that space underneath the striker. or his ability to make a run from deep and blow up an offsides trap. sigh... can't wait.

"Not all who wander are lost, not all that glitters is gold."

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2016, 01:43:09 pm »
I still think Sturridge's best performance in a red shirt, is the 12/13 home game against Chelsea (Bitegate).
Utterly unplayable. One man wrecking ball. Suarez took the headlines (for obvious reasons) but Sturridge was easily the MoTM.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:52:05 pm by spider-neil »

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2016, 01:46:37 pm »
Will this pre-season help him get back to being as quick as he was before?
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline ricen

• peas
  • Kopite
  • "That's how you get ants."
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2016, 01:49:23 pm »

his quickness was never an issue. it was the fact that he would tear or strain something while moving so quickly. this preseason should help build the foundation for a more durable studge.

then, yes, he will be quicker...than limping about at least :)
"Not all who wander are lost, not all that glitters is gold."

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2016, 01:52:24 pm »
his quickness was never an issue. it was the fact that he would tear or strain something while moving so quickly. this preseason should help build the foundation for a more durable studge.

then, yes, he will be quicker...than limping about at least :)

I hope so! It just felt like sometimes he could barely move, he hardly sprinted at all, he was playing very differently to how he used to, still scoring mind.

Hopefully hes all fixed and ready to go!

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2016, 01:53:48 pm »

Watching 12/13 and 13/14, Sturridge didn't shift through the gears like many think. He only used his pace in certain situations.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2016, 01:56:33 pm »
He has the talent to be the best striker in the world, especially back when he had that little bit extra speed and explosiveness. Nontheless even in what seems his slower current form there is still less than a handful of strikers i would take over him in the world, which is testament to his ability. The one truly world class player we have, if he can stay injury fit for the start of our season then we can challenge, simply put.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2016, 01:58:52 pm »
Watching 12/13 and 13/14, Sturridge didn't shift through the gears like many think. He only used his pace in certain situations.

Yes very true, he only used his pace when he has to, his dribbling close control touches would be there even without his pace, hes a natural footballer the fact he can run a bit fast is a bonus.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2016, 01:59:55 pm »

Indeed. He was never a off the shoulder striker like Vardy.

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2016, 02:04:08 pm »
I guess we"ll see this season, felt like he could just do everything quicker and the type of goals he scored were amazingg.
Just watching an old vid and then mentally comparing it to this last half a season will show the difference. 💁
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:05:51 pm by Oberyn_Martell »

Offline slamjam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2016, 02:04:42 pm »
Never quite understood it before the debacle about the Coutinho goal last season which brushed past his backside and he claimed was his. Didn't do much to warm me towards him. But if he does stay fit this season, he'll be a lethal contributor and we have a better chance of doing well in the league and winning things
As he should like all top strikers would do if he's in the box and a shot has come in he should be chasing that ball into the net.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2016, 02:06:56 pm »
Sturridge's quickness is over 5 yards, he's fairly ordinary pace-wise past that length.  His game is about a quick trick or change of direction to get a yard on someone and then bursting into space.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2016, 02:16:15 pm »
I still think Sturridge's best performance in a red shirt, is the 12/13 home game against Chelsea (Bitegate).
Utterly unplayable. One man wrecking ball. Suarez took the headlines (for obvious reasons) but Sturridge was easily the MoTM.

came on too as second half sub and that shot he took that rattled the post, unbeliveable technique

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2016, 02:18:53 pm »
He has the talent to be the best striker in the world, especially back when he had that little bit extra speed and explosiveness. Nontheless even in what seems his slower current form there is still less than a handful of strikers i would take over him in the world, which is testament to his ability. The one truly world class player we have, if he can stay injury fit for the start of our season then we can challenge, simply put.

totally agree, now is is time to make that mark again, his entering his peak years and Klopp please God looks like he understands his issues therefore has him on a special training programme, bodes really well for the season ahead

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2016, 02:25:49 pm »
The only time I remember Sturridge using searing pace is when we were playing OGS's Cardiff and Suarez won the ball and held on to the ball in the box, Sturridge must have made up about 40 yards in a handful of seconds for a tap in.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2016, 02:29:57 pm »
Sturridge is the dog's bollocks

Sorry I could not give a more thoughtful appraisal.

Only sriker I would consider over a fit sturridge in the premier league is a fit aguero. That's it. And it would still be a seriously tough decision. He stay git I like him for 20-25 league goals this season

Offline Lustig

• Kopite
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2016, 02:48:54 pm »

This. Watched in disbelief how good he was that day. The only performance that came close was the 2:2 draw away at The Etihad.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2016, 02:53:25 pm »
Not much (on a football pitch) makes me smile quicker than a fit and firing Sturridge. Just oozes class and swagger and you can see the fear on defender's faces and in the way they play.

The thought of getting 30+ PL games out of Sturridge makes me giddy, but I will try my hardest to remain cautious.

Oh and FFS, just do the Clap-Sturridge thing at Anfield and be done with it. Show the man the love he deserves and has deserved for so long.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2016, 02:53:37 pm »
coutinho studge mane
            firmino

the sheer pace of that front line is disgusting.

Strange turn of phrase.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2016, 02:55:25 pm »
Strange turn of phrase.

Probably an American thing seeing he's in Boston.

And it is disgusting.  :D
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2016, 03:22:20 pm »
This is the first Sturrdige thread in a long time where I didn't think I'd open it to find he was injured again - Jurgen and his staff have done a wonderful job in his rehabilitation to full fitness.

Having Daniel Sturridge in your starting XI in front of players like Coutinho, Firmino and Mane; opposition defenders are going to have a great time this season playing us  ;D  If he stays fit, I'd hope we could be looking at the 20 goal mark this season in the league.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2016, 03:51:44 pm »
This. Watched in disbelief how good he was that day. The only performance that came close was the 2:2 draw away at The Etihad.

The 5-3 away at Stoke was pretty good and all

Offline sashraf1066

• Main Stander
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2016, 04:11:03 pm »
Strange turn of phrase.

I think it's sick. :)

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2016, 04:28:00 pm »
He has had a few good months on a personal level. Scored a few times in the EL knockouts as well as final. Scored the winner against Wales in the Euros. Has been fit all this while. Kudos to Klopp and medical staff. Whatever they are doing has worked so far and we hope it works going forward!!! Easily the best player at the club.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2016, 04:46:25 pm »
This is the first Sturrdige thread in a long time where I didn't think I'd open it to find he was injured again - Jurgen and his staff have done a wonderful job in his rehabilitation to full fitness.

Having Daniel Sturridge in your starting XI in front of players like Coutinho, Firmino and Mane; opposition defenders are going to have a great time this season playing us  ;D  If he stays fit, I'd hope we could be looking at the 20 goal mark this season in the league.

Honestly, that's what I'm looking forward to the most this season by a long long margin. A front 4 of Sturridge, Coutinho, Firmino and Mane has got all the ingredients of a top class front four bar experience/matches together. I don't know how often we're gonna see it, but I for sure hope it's as frequently as possible.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:20:57 pm by ZeusMetallica »

Offline Easy

• Sunday Mornin Tiger
  • Kopite
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2016, 05:03:04 pm »
Just stay fit, Daniel. Do that and we've half a chance of 4th.

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2016, 05:10:57 pm »
He is the key to the season for me.  IF he can play in a min of 30 league games this year, I think we should be contenders for top four, if not in contention for the title.  I think he is one of the top 3-5 strikers in the league, and can be unplayable at times.  He's a player that can win points by himself. If he is injured most of the season, it will be very difficult to achieve our goals, though not impossible.  Origi and Ings are very good players, but they are not near Sturridge's quality.

just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline jboy14

• Kopite
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2016, 05:21:09 pm »
Sturridge's quickness is over 5 yards, he's fairly ordinary pace-wise past that length.  His game is about a quick trick or change of direction to get a yard on someone and then bursting into space.

That might be the case now but in the 13/14 season he was rapid over much longer distances. Im still hopeful that he can regain most of that pace but the evidence suggest otherwise.
Of all the unimportant things in life, football is the most important.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2016, 05:25:00 pm »
Sturridge in the #10 is an interesting idea. Given how much he likes to drop deep, and with Firmino's best play, by far, coming in the final third, that seems plausible. It didn't seem to work well with Firmino as the #10 and Sturridge as the #9, but a role reversal might work. 

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2016, 05:44:08 pm »
Just stay fit, Daniel. Do that and we've half a chance of 4th.

That's the spirit.
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2016, 06:14:13 pm »
Our best player.

One of the best forwards in europe.

If he's fully fit this season he'll wreck the league

Offline dogeibbor

• Anny Roader
  • He wants to come
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2016, 06:28:20 pm »
I'm a careful optimist. I think he is and always will be very prone to injuries, but crossing my fingers. He has had a long period now, so hopefully it continues. And I am sure Klopp will use him wisely, as he already showed last season when resting him in several matches. Keep that going, will give Origi time in the starting 11 to develop further. Win win.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2016, 06:40:33 pm »

I think it's sick. :)

Who's sick???  Sturridge?? Please God no.....

.........oh you youngsters and your new phrases.......back in my day sick meant something completely different  ;D

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2016, 07:14:49 pm »
Sturridge in the #10 is an interesting idea. Given how much he likes to drop deep, and with Firmino's best play, by far, coming in the final third, that seems plausible. It didn't seem to work well with Firmino as the #10 and Sturridge as the #9, but a role reversal might work. 

It's kind of a catch 22 where I ideally want Daniel Sturridge latching onto Daniel Sturridge through balls. I just think the most underrated part of his game (to the extent where I'd actually maybe place him above Coutinho in the category) is the ability to play penetrative passes through the lines. And I definitely think Brazil have got it right when they play Firmino as the lead 9 - there's just something a bit off about him whenever I see him play as a ten.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2016, 07:20:38 pm »
"my god, what a striker" - klopp
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2016, 07:21:02 pm »

Does he still have that quick burst of acceleration though? If he has, he surely hasn't used it these past few months.

Both Owen and Torres became shell of their former selves once they lost that acceleration, through injuries - and i fear these injuries surely will have taken a toll on Sturridge.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2016, 07:24:15 pm »
Strange turn of phrase.

It'd be a vulgar attack

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2016, 08:39:29 pm »
Does he still have that quick burst of acceleration though? If he has, he surely hasn't used it these past few months.

Both Owen and Torres became shell of their former selves once they lost that acceleration, through injuries - and i fear these injuries surely will have taken a toll on Sturridge.

Of course no player is better without pace than with but Sturridge is a better all round footballer than both Owen and Torres and much less reliant on pace imo.

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2016, 08:43:28 pm »
In a weird way,I think Sturridge can be something of a secret weapon next year. He's been injured for so long that many people have forgotten just how lethal he is, including (to some extent) amongst our own fans. In the last three seasons he's been at a consistent rate of better than a goal every other game, which is phenomenal. Without wishing to jinx it, he's now gone for the longest time since 2013/2014 without being injured, and Hodgson is finally out of the England set-up. I'm not saying Allardyce is much better, but for a while at least he'll be wanting to prove how 'up to date' he is and not go through the same nonsense of "making him prove himself".

If I'm entirely honest, I think Sturridge will be fit for the entire season, because I think he'll share duties with that other secret weapon of ours, Origi. Very few people appreciate that Divock is going to be something huge and Aguero aside, I don't think it would be a surprise to find that at end of next year we have two of the best strikers in the league.

I am a massive optimist by the way.