Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge  (Read 336693 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #120 on: August 2, 2016, 02:17:46 pm »
Explain that bit to me please. How does not going with his left foot = long term game ("gain" I presume)

I'd guess because he'll end up more comfortable finishing with his right foot.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline rastaferio

• Anny Roader
« Reply #121 on: August 2, 2016, 02:17:59 pm »
Explain that bit to me please. How does not going with his left foot = long term game ("gain" I presume)

My guess is he feels Sturridge is trying to work on his right foot and be less dependent on his left.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #122 on: August 2, 2016, 02:27:03 pm »
Such a shame that right foot dink didn't go in, it was a cool finish and should count as a goal because of the dink :) ..... the whole move was liquid and he looked so sharp / pacy when breaking into the box. 

The whole 'he drops too deep' thing is really redundant .... go and watch that move. He drops deep because it creates space which he can then exploit - he's so hard to track.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: August 2, 2016, 02:56:36 pm »
Such a shame that right foot dink didn't go in, it was a cool finish and should count as a goal because of the dink :) ..... the whole move was liquid and he looked so sharp / pacy when breaking into the box. 

The whole 'he drops too deep' thing is really redundant .... go and watch that move. He drops deep because it creates space which he can then exploit - he's so hard to track.

It was such good keeping. Realised that the only thing Danny was could do was dink it over him. Most average keepers would be looking to smother the ball and nothing else.

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: August 2, 2016, 02:58:33 pm »

It also happened in an absolute flash if I remember correctly.  We will be scoring a lot of goals in the blink of an eye with the players we have attacking and Daniel will score a lot of them.  Once they can work together for a period of time it will be insert player here and away we go.

Also, there were stretches in the game where he wasn't seeing the ball for an extended period of time and in this instance it worked so who cares if he drops deep occasionally.  I hope to see him and Divock play together at some point maybe instead of Firmino as they seem to be the most interchangeable.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #125 on: August 2, 2016, 03:31:33 pm »
My guess is he feels Sturridge is trying to work on his right foot and be less dependent on his left.

Maybe Klopp and his team have spotted an area to improve upon. Sturridge and Origi is a bloody good set of strikers if they can stay fit.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #126 on: August 2, 2016, 03:34:29 pm »
Maybe Klopp and his team have spotted an area to improve upon. Sturridge and Origi is a bloody good set of strikers if they can stay fit.

Scarily good. I've this this many times but I think Origi can go right to the very top. He has every attribute that you'd want a modern day striker to have: he's extremely quick, he's a good finisher, he's bulked up and is strong as an ox, better than average in the air and seems like a really nice, grounded lad. He's still raw in parts and isn't anywhere near the finished article but for me, he's the potentially the most exciting player on our books.

Offline mascherano20

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #127 on: August 2, 2016, 04:42:44 pm »
The situation with Origi and Sturridge is perfect-Danny knows he'll be pushed every week which keeps him top of his game and I think far from being threatened, he enjoys the responsibility of mentoring a fantastic, yet still quite raw talent.

Fitness is obviously key, but the signs are Klopp has maybe found a way of effectively managing this after all his troubles. Also, it's not as if firmino played badly up front last season either!

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 2, 2016, 10:57:55 pm »
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sturridge-want-show-im-best-11695769

Sturridge - I want to show I'm the best striker in the league and win trophies for Liverpool

“I will continue to strive to be the best player – to be the best striker in the league and do the best for this club. I will strive to win silverware for this club."

Big talk, lets hope he is right and shows what we all know- that he is the best striker in the league and beats his previous best of 24 league goals.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #129 on: August 2, 2016, 11:44:24 pm »
If you don't think Sturridge is gonna play this season with the drive of Suarez 13-14 you should give your head a wobble.
Seen us win everything

Offline RedEire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #130 on: August 3, 2016, 01:26:59 am »
This lad is going to have the season of his life this year I feel, I just think with people doubting him last season and talk of him moving on with it being said that he doesn't suit klopps style.. He has so much belief and confidence in himself that I think all those doubts from last season will be put to bed after a good tough pre season under his belt! Still our best player for me and his goal scoring record for us is ridiculous for a player that had to battle back from so many injuries!  :)
Having Welbeck try and mark Pirlo is ridiculous. It's like trying to get a golden retriever to stop a tennis ball machine.Because one is a machine designed for a very specific purpose that it is peerless at, and the other is a fucking dog.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 3, 2016, 04:31:58 am »
Really wonder whether Klopp will play both Sturridge and Origi together particularly at home when teams come for a draw .
Looked great few times we tried last season .

Offline dogeibbor

• Anny Roader
  • He wants to come
« Reply #132 on: August 3, 2016, 09:38:48 am »
Really wonder whether Klopp will play both Sturridge and Origi together particularly at home when teams come for a draw .
Looked great few times we tried last season .

I think we will see that a few games, especially in a 4-3-3 lineup. Origi stretching the defence with speed and strength, Sturridge sneaking in from the right. Tasty.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #133 on: August 3, 2016, 10:39:19 am »
Danny is a boss player and I still feel he doesn't get the love and benefit of the doubt someone with his record should have.

Would love to see him and Divock as a front two, creating space for eachother, both capable of being lethal. We know Danny can thrive in that arrangement.

Hopefully with less games this season, Klopp doesn't have to sacrifice his ideal teams for the sake of rest as often,  hoping for no injuries. Our Danny top of that particular wishlist!

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #134 on: August 3, 2016, 10:45:27 am »
I'm just glad we have an excellent back up option in Origi.

It's all well and good for Sturridge to say what he's been saying, and it's impressed me, but if he picks up another injury, which is likely, then that all goes out the window.

Too many times, I've been excited about his fighting words and comeback from an injury, only to then wake up one morning to the news that he's out, again, for several weeks/months.

Can't knock his faith though. He believes in God and at times God must seem so cruel to him, but he doesn't let that bring him down. He firmly believes it's all part of God's plan, and I admire that belief (and I don't even believe in God).

Got all my fingers and toes crossed that his new special training sessions mean he'll have no long-term injuries this season. If that actually happens, we are finishing top 4, no doubt about it at all.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #135 on: August 3, 2016, 10:48:58 am »
Sturridge, Origi, Firmino, Ings, Mane = Possibilities no?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #136 on: August 3, 2016, 10:56:10 am »

It's all well and good for Sturridge to say what he's been saying, and it's impressed me, but if he picks up another injury, which is likely, then that all goes out the window.

Too many times, I've been excited about his fighting words and comeback from an injury, only to then wake up one morning to the news that he's out, again, for several weeks/months.

Can't knock his faith though. He believes in God and at times God must seem so cruel to him, but he doesn't let that bring him down. He firmly believes it's all part of God's plan, and I admire that belief (and I don't even believe in God).

Got all my fingers and toes crossed that his new special training sessions mean he'll have no long-term injuries this season. If that actually happens, we are finishing top 4, no doubt about it at all.

...what goes out of the window?

He's a footballer. He doesn't try to get injured, which you seem to sort of be implying. If he gets injured, he gets injured. It'll have nothing to do with his attitude, or his effort, or his behaviour.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 3, 2016, 10:58:09 am »

Get the apprehension because of past experience but he's not just coming back from injury this time.

He's been virtually injury free for about 6/7 months now?

We've got every reason to be optimistic in his fitness this season because he really does seem to be getting managed very sensibly these days.

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #138 on: August 3, 2016, 11:00:30 am »
...what goes out of the window?

He's a footballer. He doesn't try to get injured, which you seem to sort of be implying. If he gets injured, he gets injured. It'll have nothing to do with his attitude, or his effort, or his behaviour.

Well done for stating the obvious.

What I mean is, once/if he gets injured, he can't do anything. He can't back up his talk.

It's not a slight on him. It's just reality. You can't help bring the glory times back to Liverpool from the treatment table.

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #139 on: August 3, 2016, 11:00:58 am »
Get the apprehension because of past experience but he's not just coming back from injury this time.

He's been virtually injury free for about 6/7 months now?

We've got every reason to be optimistic in his fitness this season because he really does seem to be getting managed very sensibly these days.

Hence the last paragraph of my post.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 3, 2016, 11:14:08 am »

He should be working to stay fit and healthy and look to get into goal scoring positions..
After that whether it's the left foot, right foot, left bumcheek or right bumcheek, i'm not really bothered..  :wave
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #141 on: August 3, 2016, 12:15:01 pm »
Thanks to those who replied to my 'right foot' question - I didn't realise that Danny had a 'left/right' foot thing - that goal he scored in the Final last year was hit with his right and 'twas a sublime one.

:wave

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #142 on: August 3, 2016, 12:19:32 pm »
Thanks to those who replied to my 'right foot' question - I didn't realise that Danny had a 'left/right' foot thing - that goal he scored in the Final last year was hit with his right and 'twas a sublime one.

:wave
It was hit with the outside of the left foot
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 3, 2016, 12:22:55 pm »
Well done for stating the obvious.

What I mean is, once/if he gets injured, he can't do anything. He can't back up his talk.

It's not a slight on him. It's just reality. You can't help bring the glory times back to Liverpool from the treatment table.

Ahhh I see. So what you're saying is, if he gets injured then he won't be able to play. Good point.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #144 on: August 3, 2016, 12:25:56 pm »
Ahhh I see. So what you're saying is, if he gets injured then he won't be able to play. Good point.

When you take it out of context like that, then of course it sounds obvious. But in context, considering Sturridge's injury record, it's a perfectly valid point to say that all his fighting talk will be for nothing if he ends up injured again (aka out the window).

Dunno why you're trying to trip me up. It's pretty clear what I was getting at.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: August 3, 2016, 12:30:37 pm »
When you take it out of context like that, then of course it sounds obvious. But in context, considering Sturridge's injury record, it's a perfectly valid point to say that all his fighting talk will be for nothing if he ends up injured again (aka out the window).

Dunno why you're trying to trip me up. It's pretty clear what I was getting at.

:D

Trip you?

Its the same sort of point people have been making for years now. If he talks a good game, and works hard to get fit, and works hard when he plays....and then gets injured, then no it doesn't mean all his talk has been for nothing. It means he's just been unlucky. Again. He doesn't try to get injured, he doesn't like being injured, you can see when he gets subbed he hates it. He wants to be on the pitch, all the time. So to question any of his talk, or say it'll be meaningless if he gets injured again, is ridiculous.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #146 on: August 3, 2016, 12:34:59 pm »
We have an embarrassment of riches in the striker dept in my opinion ... I'd honestly be fine with Origi leading the line all season with Ings (whom I also rate highly) and Firmino as back up. If we can get 25 - 30 games out of Danny this season then our striking options are up there with the best in the league.

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #147 on: August 3, 2016, 12:39:01 pm »
:D

Trip you?

Its the same sort of point people have been making for years now. If he talks a good game, and works hard to get fit, and works hard when he plays....and then gets injured, then no it doesn't mean all his talk has been for nothing. It means he's just been unlucky. Again. He doesn't try to get injured, he doesn't like being injured, you can see when he gets subbed he hates it. He wants to be on the pitch, all the time. So to question any of his talk, or say it'll be meaningless if he gets injured again, is ridiculous.

Except I am not questioning his talk, am I? Nor am I saying it's meaningless. I even said I was impressed with it and also said I was impressed with his faith as well, so why ignore that? I said myself that he's been unlucky, so why ignore that and then tell me he's been unlucky when I've already bloody said it? I also said it wasn't a slight on Sturridge at all, so why ignore that?

My point is, it's a case of trying not to get too excited about his recent interview, as knowing his luck, he'll get injured again and we won't be able to see him back up his talk of wanting to show that he's the best striker in the League (which I think he is, along with Aguero).

If I started telling my co workers "right, this month I am going to bring in the most money for the company. I will prove I am the best worker here" and then I get into a car accident and am hospitalised for a month, then I can't well back up my talk, can I? It effectively goes out the window. Stop looking too far into it. Sturridge is one of my favourite players. I have no reason to question his attitude or faith.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #148 on: August 3, 2016, 12:39:59 pm »
Plus Sturridge will inevitably get injured again. But I think future injuries need to be contextualised at this stage. He's been fit for a while now... If he picks up a niggle and is out for a few weeks it doesn't have to be seen as a continuation of his "injury proneness" but rather a normal occurrence in the course of a players season.

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #149 on: August 3, 2016, 12:45:55 pm »
Plus Sturridge will inevitably get injured again. But I think future injuries need to be contextualised at this stage. He's been fit for a while now... If he picks up a niggle and is out for a few weeks it doesn't have to be seen as a continuation of his "injury proneness" but rather a normal occurrence in the course of a players season.

Exactly, and I agree. An injury that keeps him out or a match or 2 in a row shouldn't be met with the usual "oh ffs he's injured again".

Praying that we can go a full season without a long term injury to our best player.

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #150 on: August 3, 2016, 12:47:11 pm »
Out of 38 games, I would be extremely satisfied with 30 appearances.

(and 25 goals lol).

Offline il_principino

• Main Stander
  • You will never walk alone!
« Reply #151 on: August 3, 2016, 12:54:36 pm »
The situation with Origi and Sturridge is perfect-Danny knows he'll be pushed every week which keeps him top of his game and I think far from being threatened, he enjoys the responsibility of mentoring a fantastic, yet still quite raw talent.

Fitness is obviously key, but the signs are Klopp has maybe found a way of effectively managing this after all his troubles. Also, it's not as if firmino played badly up front last season either!

That must be Klopp's main intention this summer, create as much competition for places as possible, so everyone stays on their top game.
---Aesthetic is everything------

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: August 3, 2016, 12:56:43 pm »

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #153 on: August 3, 2016, 12:58:18 pm »
It was hit with the outside of the left foot

It was?

Well there you go - maybe I saw it as right foot 'cos I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and the mirror effect and whatnot  :wave

Edit: not taking the piss, I just couldn't remember whether it was left or right  :wave
« Last Edit: August 3, 2016, 01:00:40 pm by Rush 82 »

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 3, 2016, 01:13:56 pm »
Out of 38 games, I would be extremely satisfied with 30 appearances.

(and 25 goals lol).

Is Suarez coming back?  ::)
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #155 on: August 3, 2016, 01:20:57 pm »
So why even mention it :D

Forgive me if I'm wrong but a forum is a place to discuss things, is it not?
« Last Edit: August 3, 2016, 01:25:49 pm by SC04OCT »

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: August 3, 2016, 01:39:55 pm »
Is Suarez coming back?  ::)

What an odd comment. 25 goals in 30 games would be a goal every 108 minutes. Sturridge is currently on a goal every 115 minutes approximately. Better than Suarez's record for us. Given a fresh bill of health, it's not really that hard to see him hit 25 league goals this season given 30ish games.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 3, 2016, 01:43:17 pm »

His first touch was the best part of that effort for me, nothing especially complicated about it but he managed to take the entire defence out of the equation with one touch.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #158 on: August 3, 2016, 01:49:12 pm »
If he becomes the best striker in the league as he plans to we`re gonna win the league and I think that`s exactly what will happen.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 3, 2016, 01:49:56 pm »
What an odd comment. 25 goals in 30 games would be a goal every 108 minutes. Sturridge is currently on a goal every 115 minutes approximately. Better than Suarez's record for us. Given a fresh bill of health, it's not really that hard to see him hit 25 league goals this season given 30ish games.
I think this has probably been discussed on other Sturridge threads, but I think his goal to minutes ratio is helped by the fact he has misses a lot of game time through injury. He obviously had an amazing 13/14 but then after that, he would score, get injured come back slowly and then score once or twice again before being injured.

Basically, I can't see him having Suarez's goals to minutes rate f he stays fully fit, which is fine. 25 goals in 30 games would be phenomenal. I'd be happy with 20 in 30+
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now