Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge  (Read 336743 times)

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
Daniel Sturridge
« on: July 29, 2016, 10:01:48 am »
His first proper preseason in about 3 years
Imgine it for a second....we could have  a fully fit Daniel Sturridge heading into the new season
exciting times!

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:04:18 am »
Daniel Sturridge is hoping that the “most intense” pre-season he has ever experienced can help him kick-off the 2016/17 season the way he ended the last campaign.

The Liverpool forward scored a sumptuous strike in the ultimately disappointing Europa League final against Sevilla, after another important strike against Villarreal in the semi-final.

Injury meant that Sturridge didn’t make his first appearance of last season until September 20, but he hopes that this summer’s preparations will mean the coming campaign is very different.

“It’s a lot more intense, probably the most intense I’ve ever experienced at any club,” he said.

“It is just a different intensity and a different kind of pre-season.

“It is certainly something that everyone is getting used to and will hopefully put us in good stead for the season.

“There has been a lot of hard work and a lot of running sessions, tactical sessions as well. It has been going well.

“I am feeling fresh. Pre-season is about pushing your body to the limits, so there has been a lot of sessions. You have to push yourself through the sessions as best you can.”

Sturridge has been with Jurgen Klopp’s squad for a week after an extended break following his Euro 2016 commitments with England.

But that disappointment, coming on the back of his Europa league final heartache, has been already dispatched from his memory.

“It is the past – it’s gone,” he told Liverpoolfc.com.

“It’s something you reflect on at the time and then you move forward and try to put it behind you and focus on the future and there hopefully being more finals and success for the team.

“You learn from your mistakes and that’s the most important thing.”

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:06:11 am »
Imgine it for a second....we could have  a fully fit Daniel Sturridge heading into the new season
exciting times!

Fingers crossed!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:08:44 am »
This feels like the first season for a long time our season doesn't hinge on the fitness of Sturridge. Firmino and Origi showed last season they can play that lone striker role very well and arguably Firmino is already ahead of Sturridge (in Klopp's team, I'd personally start Sturridge every game).
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:09:12 am »
Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up top scorer this season. I'm optimistic but cautious.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:10:10 am »
This feels like the first season for a long time our season doesn't hinge on the fitness of Sturridge. Firmino and Origi showed last season they can play that lone striker role very well and arguably Firmino is already ahead of Sturridge (in Klopp's team, I'd personally start Sturridge every game).

???

Since when?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 10:12:09 am »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 10:19:54 am »
"Arguably"

I don't think so.  Has Firmino, as the lone striker, ever started ahead of a fit Daniel Sturridge?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 10:22:11 am »
Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up top scorer this season. I'm optimistic but cautious.

Hopefully, because that would be brilliant!

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 10:22:51 am »
if he can keep fit he is the difference between a fair and great season....he is our only 20 goal a season striker and if the likes of Mane and Gini can chip in with a fair share who knows what the season could bring

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 10:23:12 am »
Karius, Matip and Sturridge are our most important players this season. Stay fit, perform well and they will make the difference more then any other player in our squad.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 10:26:52 am »
I don't think so.  Has Firmino, as the lone striker, ever started ahead of a fit Daniel Sturridge?
Don't know why off the top of my head, I recall him being on the bench a few times and Origi starting ahead of him.

As I said in my first post, I'd start Sturridge, he's a goal scorer and his record speaks for itself. I'm not convinced Klopp will though.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 10:27:29 am »
"Arguably"

Yeah I got the arguably, but since when 'arguably'?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 10:30:59 am »
I don't think Firmino is ahead of Sturridge. If anyone is going to challenge Sturridge for the main striker role it's Origi, he was getting picked ahead of Sturridge for a while before his injury in the derby. Will be interesting to see how Ings fits in too, he's had a good pre-season. I think we've got some good striking options this season with those four.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a Ł25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 10:32:23 am »

I think he's basing it on the fact the Klopp likes his strikers to press, which you would probably say out of our strikers, Sturridge is probably the weakest in this area, excluding Benteke.  I still think with his overrall quality, Klopp will start him more often than not, with Origi being the one to replace him when needed.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 10:37:50 am »
First leg against Villareal EL semi

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 10:39:42 am »
Origi, Benteke and Firmino were favoured ahead of him at times last season and if we change to 4-3-3 as preseason and our purchases have suggested, we have only one space for Sturridge, Origi and Firmino. There's no guarantee Sturridge is first choice.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:41:46 am by Funky_Gibbons »

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 10:43:42 am »
Origi, Benteke and Firmino were favoured ahead of him at times last season and if we change to 4-3-3 as preseason and our purchases have suggested, we have only one space for Sturridge, Origi and Firmino. There's no guarantee Sturridge is first choice.

was it not more of a case of easing him back in after his lengthy absence

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 10:50:54 am »
He`s been fit for a while now which gives me hope that he can play significant part next season.

For the 3rd season in the row achieving our goals still depends heavily on whether Sturridge will be available for the majority of games. Without him it`ll be almost impossible to get into Top 4. It`s not just his goals return but his profound positive effect on our attacking game. It`s so much easier for our players to bust their guts in games and give it their all when they know we`ve got somebody lethal upfront to help us win.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 10:51:50 am »

The first part I agree with you fully with, and that's truly amazing. The second part I understand where you are coming from, in terms of style of play, etc Firmino might suit slightly more to what Klopp wants. But no one can deny the guy is a goal machine, lethal as they come and overall a very very talented player. And unless we get all of that in Origi's body/pressing, etc , then Sturridge will be our main man still. Even Klopp won't stop that.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 10:52:54 am »
was it not more of a case of easing him back in after his lengthy absence
Possibly, but Origi did appear to be in favour up until his injury against Everton.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 10:55:33 am »
First leg against Villareal EL semi

That's true.  I do think a fully fit Sturridge, after a proper pre season will be a totally different proposition though.  Aslong as he stays fit of course

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 10:55:58 am »
I've alluded to it before but you only really need 2 attacking players in a team to "click" to score goals... Cole Yorke, Henry Bergkamp etc etc. I've just go this feeling... Sturridge and Mane...

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 10:57:26 am »
Possibly, but Origi did appear to be in favour up until his injury against Everton.

The acid test will come this season, as Sturridge, Klopp and the side will all have training time together. If he is still playing Origi or Firmino then clearly Sturridge and Klopp do not fit in terms of style.

There is a lot of promise this season in a potential front 3 of Coutinho, Sturridge and Mane. I know Klopp likes his team to have a very structured approach but maybe we could create a style like we had in the winter of 13/14 with Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 10:58:30 am »
Karius, Matip and Sturridge are our most important players this season. Stay fit, perform well and they will make the difference more then any other player in our squad.
We have the makings of a very good and strong spine....Karius, Matip, Can and Sturridge
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 11:04:36 am »
We've got lots of really good players who can play up front or score goals from wide, but Danny will always be Gucci. If he can stay fit for most of the season then I think we could see him dominate that position and score a load of goals, but even if it doesn't quite work out like that we've got some really good alternatives and I'm looking forward to seeing if Origi can pick up his best form again.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 11:17:56 am »
We've got lots of really good players who can play up front or score goals from wide, but Danny will always be Gucci. If he can stay fit for most of the season then I think we could see him dominate that position and score a load of goals, but even if it doesn't quite work out like that we've got some really good alternatives and I'm looking forward to seeing if Origi can pick up his best form again.

Gucci, great description that....lad has so much to give, the best thing we could have this season is an injury free troubled season for him because honestly can see him ribbing up the league

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 11:18:43 am »
Still doesn't have a song
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 11:19:21 am »
exciting times!
Good god almighty did you really have to jinx it like that  ;D

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 11:21:12 am »
it is a very strange one...I think there is still a perception amongst a lot of people of sturridge being greedy, arrogant etc. The reason for that perception...well. I certainly don't agree with it but you hear it said often enough.

If he was from Spain though he'd probably have had a song before his first training session.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 11:32:45 am »
Good god almighty did you really have to jinx it like that  ;D

nah reverse phycology mate

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 11:34:31 am »
Quite evident again that he won't play unless he's fit enough to do so.

It worked last season, and hopefully it will work again.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 11:54:22 am »
it is a very strange one...I think there is still a perception amongst a lot of people of sturridge being greedy, arrogant etc. The reason for that perception...well. I certainly don't agree with it but you hear it said often enough.

If he was from Spain though he'd probably have had a song before his first training session.

Never quite understood it before the debacle about the Coutinho goal last season which brushed past his backside and he claimed was his. Didn't do much to warm me towards him. But if he does stay fit this season, he'll be a lethal contributor and we have a better chance of doing well in the league and winning things
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 11:57:22 am »
Never quite understood it before the debacle about the Coutinho goal last season which brushed past his backside and he claimed was his. Didn't do much to warm me towards him. But if he does stay fit this season, he'll be a lethal contributor and we have a better chance of doing well in the league and winning things
He was kidding.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 11:59:38 am »
Must admit when I saw this new topic I thought he'd picked up an injury again!  :shocked

I'm really hoping and praying he can stay fit. He could be top scorer in this division if he could banish the injury problems once and for all.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2016, 12:00:10 pm »
He's one of my favourite players in world football at the moment, but I refuse to get too excited. At this point I'm happy with what we can get out of him, with 60% of games a remarkable victory. Anything over that would be a bonus really.

In my head when I think of our squad for this upcoming season I almost leave Sturridge aside, and I'm glad we don't have to rely on him like these past two seasons. I do think that if he were to get injured again (fingers crossed), we would be okay with Firmino (especially), Mane, Origi and Ings.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2016, 12:11:24 pm »

Should just be the

Clap, Clap, Clap Clap Clap, Clap Clap Clap Clap, Sturridge

Its simple and been used for some of our best players in the past, just need more people to be enthusiastic about him in the crowd.

Can't wait to see what he does this season, he is such a good footballer- his movement in the box to get into goalscoring positions is incredible, and with more time on the training pitch with Coutinho, Firmino and Mane he should have a very consistent supply of chances. A hopefully fitter, stronger Sturridge who can make 30+ league appearances next season could send us into title challenging territory with his goals.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 12:30:43 pm »
Should be an interesting battle between him and a fast-improving Origi to be Klopp's preferred option to lead the line this season.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2016, 12:33:54 pm »
Should be an interesting battle between him and a fast-improving Origi to be Klopp's preferred option to lead the line this season.

Firmino?

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2016, 12:54:59 pm »
The more I watched them together, and the more I think about it, I think the better fit is Dan as the 10 and Firmino as the 9. I'm just not sure Firmino is the 10 that Sturridge wants, but Dan as a 10 could work with anyone with movement ahead of him.