Author Topic: Famous/infamous moments in sporting history.  (Read 27480 times)

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Famous/infamous moments in sporting history.
« on: October 16, 2014, 11:49:07 am »
What moments in sporting history do you feel are the most memorable, for reasons both good and bad?  Iconic moments that may have changed the face of the sport in particular, that cause you to think "Yeah, that did change things".  Pictures that defined an age, battles that defined a rivalry, triumphs the defined hope, disasters that defined despair...

Pictures (that aren't completely horrendous, use your brain as to what you think is acceptable) would be mostly welcome, do try and give a description of the moment too, not just a snapshot.  Here's one I find fills the criteria pretty well:

Salute at 1968 Olympics:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:36:35 pm by CornerFlag »
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
Re: Famous/infamous moments in sporting history.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:51:32 am »

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 11:58:03 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Emo7UVWZbM8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Emo7UVWZbM8</a>
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 12:14:18 pm »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 12:15:54 pm »

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 12:26:11 pm »

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 12:29:06 pm »
Stuff from movies doesn't count...
The pic might be from the movie,  but the story is real.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 12:52:07 pm »
Ziltoid's one is the first that sprung to mine for me. That was truly shocking to watch in the sense that I'd never seen someone win by such a margin, and then obviously a few days later it became apparent why.

Sorry for the interlude...back to the pictures! :D

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 12:54:56 pm »

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 12:57:31 pm »
Istanbul for sure. Coming back from 3 - 0 down in arguably the biggest game in football.

Offline Cattive Maniere

• Legacy Fan
  • Mentalita Ultras
    • bettingtips365
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 01:02:13 pm »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 01:08:38 pm »

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 01:10:11 pm »
The most famous moment in GAA. Kerry being defeated in the dying moments of the All-Ireland Final of 1982 by Offaly.

As they were about to lift an unprecedented 5 in a row All-Ireland titles. It's an image burned into the mind of every Kerry follower. I was born with the heartbreak of that loss. I can still appreciate it for being an incredible moment, an underdog story at its finest.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Wxgju-2xbfQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Wxgju-2xbfQ</a>

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 01:12:03 pm by KerryKop »

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 01:23:17 pm »
The Munich Massacre

In 1972, at the Munich Olympics, 11 members of the Israeli Olympic team were taken hostage and eventually murdered by Palestinian terrorists.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 01:34:36 pm »

Offline kopite17

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 01:37:04 pm »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 01:40:51 pm »
Zidane headbutting Materazzi in the World Cup Final, and his last action as a footballer. What a way to bow out.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 01:51:17 pm »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 01:52:41 pm »

Great pic but hasn't it been shown that the Belgian were breaking out of the wall from a free kick that ricocheted back to Maradona?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 01:53:42 pm »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 01:54:28 pm »

Has Gatting got his knob out there?!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 01:54:30 pm »
Great pic but hasn't it been shown that the Belgian were breaking out of the wall from a free kick that ricocheted back to Maradona?

Certainly looks like that.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 01:58:31 pm »
For so many reasons.

It's from the Rugby World Cup 1995.

The final was contested by New Zealand and hosts South Africa. Both nations finished undefeated at the top of their pools. South Africa defeated Western Samoa in the quarter finals, and then France in the semi-finals to reach the final; New Zealand defeated Scotland in the quarter-finals, and England in the semi-finals, a game in which Jonah Lomu famously scored four tries for the All Blacks. The final was played at Ellis Park in Johannesburg and refereed by Ed Morrison of England.

South Africa led 9–6 at half time, and New Zealand levelled the scores at 9-all with a drop goal in the second half. Though Andrew Mehrtens almost kicked a late drop goal for the All Blacks, the score remained tied at full-time, forcing the game into extra time. Both teams scored penalty goals in the first half of extra time, but Joel Stransky then scored a drop goal to win the final for South Africa.

What happened after the match has become an iconic moment in the history of the sport. Nelson Mandela, wearing a Springbok rugby shirt and baseball cap, presented the William Webb Ellis Cup to South African captain François Pienaar to the delight of the capacity crowd. The moment is thought by some to be one of the most famous finals of any sport

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:21:28 pm by Chakan »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 01:59:09 pm »

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 01:59:28 pm »
Was going to post the photo and the background behind it because I knew it would come up!

Here is the moment the photo was taken. It is about 1.15 in.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wVlur1I12wc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wVlur1I12wc</a>
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:02:57 pm by KerryKop »

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 02:03:46 pm »
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 02:04:38 pm »
Zidane headbutting Materazzi in the World Cup Final, and his last action as a footballer. What a way to bow out.

I was going to for this, too, but perhaps the image doesn't tell exactly why - I'll explain a little what it meant to me:

I used to watch a fair bit of Italian football and the style and finesse of Zizou was second to none.  I've never seen such a languid player, who also has such a high level of technique.  The culmination of his play for Juventus was to earn a move to join the 'greats' at Madrid, alongside Beckham, Figo, Brazilian Ronaldo, and Raul - some of the biggest names in that decade playing alongside each other.   Zidane was one of those true players where you'd look forward to them getting the ball because you never had a clue what they'd manage to pull out next, in fact you were pretty sure they had no idea either. 

For the WC final, that career and that guile and energy as for sure waning, however Zidane had driven France to win the WC before, scoring twice in the '98 final - so one last magic show was on the cards - and millions of fans sat and watched the big man with the magic feet to give him a proper send off.   The manner of the dismissal was pretty shocking (a headbut to the chest), not least because it seemed at the time so out of the blue, especially so due to Zidane having an excellent record with discipline and been seen as an excellent role-model who trained hard and lived a life focused to maximising his 'God-given abilities', and was by all accounts a devout man.  To obliterate all of that in a moment, to leave his legacy tainted, and for it to be the last action of top-top player, was definitely quite a sad way to end a career which shone with so many moments which gave fans true elation.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2014, 02:07:17 pm »
Another Wimbledon one, and one of my favourite moments over the years.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 02:10:36 pm »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 02:13:13 pm »
Before nicholas gets here

From the 1999 ODI World Cup Semi finals.

Anyone who knows cricket knows about the SA vs Aus rivalry at the time (and on going ;) ) just so happens we met in the semis.

South Africa won the toss and elected to field. In seaming conditions, Australia managed to put up a total of 213 with Michael Bevan and Steve Waugh scoring vital half-centuries. Shaun Pollock and Allan Donald tore through the middle and lower order picking up 9 of the ten wickets between them. South Africa began their chase steadily with Kirsten and Gibbs putting on a good opening partnership. Wickets then fell at regular intervals as South Africa collapsed to 61-4. Jonty Rhodes and Jacques Kallis then put together a vital partnership taking South Africa within 40 runs of victory. Through some valuable runs from Mark Boucher and Pollock, and some big hitting from Lance Klusener, South Africa moved closer to the target

This happened in the final over with SA need 9 to win.

Final Over

South Africa entered the final over at 205/9, needing a further nine runs to win. The two men at the crease were Lance Klusener who was on strike and Allan Donald at the other end. Damien Fleming was the bowler.

1st ball : Fleming bowled a full ball to Klusener who cover drove it away to the boundary for four runs
    2nd ball : Fleming again bowled full but Kluesner also hit this ball hard along the ground past Mark Waugh, who was standing at long-off. Klusener had made his way to 31 runs off just 14 balls and South Africa were now level, but they still needed one more run to advance into the final. On this delivery, South African commentator Mike Proctor said "He’s hit it hard...that’s Mark Waugh down there, he won’t get it - they are level! What kind of shot is that? That’s unbelievable, is he going to do it again for South Africa? He has done it on so many occasions. The first two deliveries of this over, he has gone bang, bang four, four - take that! Scores are level, South Africa need one to win to reach the final." At that point, Bill Lawry reminded him that South Africa only had one wicket in hand and Australia would go through in the event of a tie.

At that point, the Australian captain, Steve Waugh, brought his field up inside the circle to prevent a single being taken.

3rd ball : The third ball saw Klusener mis-hit his shot to Darren Lehmann, who was standing at mid-on. Allan Donald was backing up a long way at the non-strikers end, and if Lehmann's close range throw at the stumps had hit, Donald would have been easily run out. Mike Proctor remarked "that could be the difference between a World Cup final or nothing."
    4th ball : The fourth ball was similar to the third. Klusener mis-hit to Mark Waugh at mid off, but this time Klusener went for the run, even though the chances of a run out were high and there were still two balls remaining. Klusener sprinted down the pitch while Donald, at the other end, was not watching him and did not hear the call to run. Waugh threw the ball to Fleming who rolled it to Adam Gilchrist. Donald (who had dropped his bat) was run out by some distance for a diamond duck. Bill Lawry commentating on the final ball said, "There it is, this will be out surely - oh it's out, it's gonna be run out...oh, that is South Africa out - Donald did not run, I cannot believe it. Australia go into the World Cup Final - ridiculous running with two balls to go. Donald did not go, Klusener came - what a disappointing end for South Africa. What a match for our viewers right around the world."

The match was tied but Australia went into the final against Pakistan because they finished higher in the Super Sixes.

Crushing SA hearts and we've been labelled chokers ever since. Not without us adding to that though has to be said.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:25:17 pm by Chakan »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 02:13:15 pm »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2014, 02:13:59 pm »

Comes from the 1992 ODI world cup semi final in Aus.

We'd had a great run to the semi's confident and needing 22 runs off 13 deliveries. Very do-able for a team in form, but not a forgone conclusion. Then it started to rain.

Twelve minutes of rain was all it took to wreck a classic contest and produce the sort of farce that so often crops up when cricket's regulations get themselves in a tangle. In theory, the organisers had come up with a clever ploy to cope with rain interruptions - the reduction in the target was to be proportionate to the lowest-scoring overs of the side batting first, a method that took into account the benefits of chasing, as opposed to setting, a target. That didn't work so well, however, when the chase had been all but completed, and South Africa were made to rue Meyrick Pringle's excellent figures of 9-2-36-2. At first the scoreboard showed a reduction to 22 off seven balls, and then moments later, it read 22 off one (which should in fact have read 21 off one). Brian McMillan patted Chris Lewis' last ball for a single, and set off for the pavilion looking as furious as England - deserved victors, if truth be told - were embarrassed.

Boundary view
Even though a reserve day had been set aside for the semis, the demands of the host broadcasters, Channel Nine, were such that the match had to be completed there and then. "South Africa's chances of reaching the final floundered on a rule which no-one had bothered to think through," wrote John Woodcock in The Cricketer. "For so important an event to be reduced at times to a lottery must have been a source of great embarrassment to the organisers, though to the best of my knowledge they came nowhere near to admitting it. It is difficult to avoid the impression that the Australian Cricket Board are obliged to defer to television, by which I mean to Mr Packer's Channel Nine and all their delirious ways."

*forehead vein starts throbbing
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:29:38 pm by Chakan »

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 02:17:48 pm »
Another Wimbledon one, and one of my favourite moments over the years.
And another. A great sporting rivalry. One of the best ever?

And for infamy, "you cannot be serious" is up there  :)

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 02:17:52 pm »
The greatest ODI ever played. Again SA vs Aus at the wanderers. Wish I had been there.

The 5th One Day International cricket match between South Africa and Australia was played on 12 March 2006 at New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg. The match broke many cricket records, including both the first and the second team innings score of over 400 runs. Australia won the toss and elected to bat first. They scored 434 for 4 off their 50 overs, breaking the previous record of 398–5 by Sri Lanka against Kenya in 1996. In reply, South Africa scored 438–9, winning by one wicket with one ball to spare. The match has been acclaimed as the greatest One Day International match ever played[1][2] and has been referred to as the "438 match"[3][4] or "438 game"[2][5] in the media.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:30:53 pm by Chakan »

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2014, 02:20:53 pm »
'84 LA

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2014, 02:21:41 pm »

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2014, 02:23:17 pm »

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2014, 02:25:21 pm »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2014, 02:28:37 pm »