Author Topic: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium  (Read 934153 times)

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
Re: The 2013 Tennis Thread
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2013, 07:24:35 pm »
What a game!!!

Offline dundeered

• Legacy Fan
  • DING DING ! All aboard the offended bus
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2013, 07:25:24 pm »
Incredible final ,well done Scotland's Andy Murray ,he wanted it more
JFT96

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2013, 07:25:35 pm »
Nice one Andy,,dug deep there in those temperatures..fair play..good match
bollocks

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2013, 09:36:21 pm »
Will be interesting how Murray adapts to the clay this year. He's probably behind Novak, Nadal and Ferrer on clay and possibly Federer as well. Murray is a very hard working player, wouldn't be surprised if he surprised us all on the clay this year.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2013, 11:04:58 pm »
Unfortunately i had to miss this but just seen the highlights. Murray did well to come back from such a poor start and it came down to a few millimetres in the end. A shame for Ferrer to lose it like that but fair play to Murray, good to see him move up to world number two.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2013, 05:10:57 pm »
Great Britain have drawn Croatia in the Davis Cup World Group play-off in September. Good draw for us, we should have a decent chance of winning it since Murray has made himself available.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2013, 07:14:11 pm »
Looking forward to seeing three of these players in action..not so keen on one of them, can you guess which one?!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/10000728/Andy-Murray-to-face-Ivan-Lendl-for-charity.html
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2013, 03:31:30 pm »
Murray got totally dominated by Wawrinka. Granted clay is his worst surface, but this isn't good enough from him, needs to improve his performances if he's to reach the levels he did last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22204827
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2013, 07:58:35 pm »
Murray got totally dominated by Wawrinka. Granted clay is his worst surface, but this isn't good enough from him, needs to improve his performances if he's to reach the levels he did last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22204827

I'd have been more surprised if Murray had won that.

Wawrinka is a very good clay court player and it's probably his best surface. I remember him doing extremely well against Nadal in Monte Carlo last year and he should have won atleast a set off him.

I think Murray will be more than content with a couple of semi-final appearances in this clay court swing (particularly at the French). I never really expect too much from him on this surface.

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2013, 08:18:58 pm »
Murray was 6-1 for the French Open last time I checked... Hideously short odds.  I reckon I could probably beat him on clay.  IMO Novak will win, but we will see.  Nadal is easily the best player on clay, but he is out of form and fitness.
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2013, 09:18:57 pm »
Murray was 6-1 for the French Open last time I checked... Hideously short odds.  I reckon I could probably beat him on clay.  IMO Novak will win, but we will see.  Nadal is easily the best player on clay, but he is out of form and fitness.

He's just won his last 16 matches.

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2013, 09:19:29 pm »
I mean form in slams, but fair point...

Having said that he hasn't competed in a slam since Wimbledon, where he failed miserably.  Just hadn't heard much of him lately, I only really pay attention to the slams.  His fitness isn't a match for Novak's though, if they come head to head.
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2013, 09:26:29 pm »
I mean form in slams, but fair point...

Having said that he hasn't competed in a slam since Wimbledon, where he failed miserably.  Just hadn't heard much of him lately, I only really pay attention to the slams.  His fitness isn't a match for Novak's though, if they come head to head.

I think his fitness will be fine by the time it comes round to the French Open. He still has to play Barcelona, Madrid and Rome after this tournament in Monte Carlo.

Hopefully Djokovic is at his best in this clay court stretch though. He's the only one who can push Nadal on this surface, which is something i think most neutrals want to see.

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2013, 09:53:16 pm »
I'd have been more surprised if Murray had won that.

Wawrinka is a very good clay court player and it's probably his best surface. I remember him doing extremely well against Nadal in Monte Carlo last year and he should have won atleast a set off him.

I think Murray will be more than content with a couple of semi-final appearances in this clay court swing (particularly at the French). I never really expect too much from him on this surface.

Of course Wawrinka is not a bad player at all! But it's the manner in which Murray lost today, failed to show any of his true quality, something the stats back up. Still though, a good run in the French is about best he can hope for, with Wimbledon only 3 weeks later, would rather not see him over-exert himself in a tournament he effectively has no chance of winning. He genuinely has a good chance of winning Wimbledon this year though. Do you know a good tennis site for stats of the top players on tour by the way?

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2013, 10:42:19 pm »
Of course Wawrinka is not a bad player at all! But it's the manner in which Murray lost today, failed to show any of his true quality, something the stats back up. Still though, a good run in the French is about best he can hope for, with Wimbledon only 3 weeks later, would rather not see him over-exert himself in a tournament he effectively has no chance of winning. He genuinely has a good chance of winning Wimbledon this year though. Do you know a good tennis site for stats of the top players on tour by the way?

Yeah he wasn't great today but i think that had more to do with the quality of his opponent and the fact that it was only his second game on the surface in 10 months. Completely agree with him trying to save himself for Wimbledon. It would be great to see him win it after coming so close last year.

I usually just use the main ATP tennis site for stats/draws/schedules- http://www.atpworldtour.com

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2013, 03:29:52 pm »
Nadal survives a scare to beat Dimitrov in three sets.

He plays Tsonga in the semis after Tsonga beat Wawrinka in three sets.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2013, 11:16:44 pm »
The other semi-final match will be between Djokovic and Fognini after they won their QF matches in straight sets.

Looks like it'll be a Djokovic-Nadal final. Looking forward to their rivalry resuming if it is the case.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Tennis Thread
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2013, 03:19:33 pm »
Nadal and Djokovic both win their SF's in straight sets.

I reckon tomorrow will be a close encounter as Nadal doesn't look at his absolute best. I still think he'll win it, however.

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2013, 05:14:29 pm »
Nadal and Djokovic both win their SF's in straight sets.

I reckon tomorrow will be a close encounter as Nadal doesn't look at his absolute best. I still think he'll win it, however.

Really hard one to call. I personally think Novak will do it, but I'd much rather see Nadal win it.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2013, 10:25:42 pm »
Really hard one to call. I personally think Novak will do it, but I'd much rather see Nadal win it.

Yeah, Nadal struggled at the end against Tsonga and in quite a lot of his match against Dimitrov. I think he'll have to play near his best to beat Djokovic and i think it'll be pretty close.

Wouldn't be surprised whatsoever to see Novak winning it, but i think Nadal has the edge due to his record at the tournament.

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Real Username: LEGACY
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2013, 02:29:24 pm »
Djoker is toying with Nadal here on clay! 

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2013, 02:34:12 pm »
Nadal fighting back.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2013, 02:50:17 pm »
First set 6-2 to Djokovic. Destroying Nadal here, he could have bageled him in a tournament that Nadal's won 8 years in a row :D

He holds serve at the start of the second. He's looking very strong.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2013, 03:49:45 pm »
Djokovic ends Nadal's 8 year reign in Monte Carlo, destroyed him in the first set and edged a close second set on a tie break. Very impressive stuff.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline Po The Panda

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2013, 03:50:23 pm »
Djoko ends nadal streak! he truly is his kryptonite!

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2013, 03:50:58 pm »
After 8 years Nadal loses his title in Monte Carlo  :(

Hope he produces his best form in the French and destroys Novak.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2013, 03:52:10 pm »
djokovic is currently the best sportsman on the planet

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2013, 03:52:17 pm »
Incredible from Djokovic. He's now beaten Nadal in all three of the clay court Masters finals.

In that form he could well win the big one to complete his set.

Offline Carllfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2013, 07:11:54 pm »
Djokovic and Nadal are so far ahead of the others on clay at the moment.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2013, 05:27:24 am »
Nadal in his sixth straight final since his return tomorrow. Plays Nicolas Almagro in the final of the Barcelona Open, going for his eighth title (didn't play in 2010) and 39th straight win in a row at the tournament.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22326211

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2013, 11:02:48 pm »
Nadal beats Almagro in straight sets to win the Barcelona Open- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22331504

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2013, 11:50:11 am »
Nadal beats Almagro in straight sets to win the Barcelona Open- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22331504

Was it ever in doubt?! Hope he retains his French Open title.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2013, 04:49:02 pm »
Was it ever in doubt?! Hope he retains his French Open title.

Nope. I think the only guy who can beat Nadal on clay is Djokovic.

It'll be very interesting to see who comes out on top if they do indeed play each other at Rome/Madrid/French.

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: May 7, 2013, 12:31:28 pm »
That Laura Robson did very well yesterday in beating Radwanska. It's the first time she's beaten someone ranked in the top 5.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22428799

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 7, 2013, 10:40:41 pm »
Dimitrov beats Djokovic in 3 sets in the Madrid Open. Very surprised to see that.

Murray beat Mayer in 2 tight sets to record his 400th win on tour, a great achievement. Good chance for him to go far in this tournament as his draw isn't too bad and Djokovic is now out. He plays Simon next, who he has a pretty good record against.

Federer beat Stepanek in straight sets in his first match since Indian Wells. Nadal plays Benoit Paire tomorrow in his first match.

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2013, 12:26:05 am »
Murray just battled through one of his hardest matches on clay against Simon. Wasn't great in the first set, bossed most of the 2nd set, but the 3rd set went to a tie break and he JUST edged it. Great fight from Simon as well credit to him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22474479

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2013, 12:57:47 am »
Murray just battled through one of his hardest matches on clay against Simon. Wasn't great in the first set, bossed most of the 2nd set, but the 3rd set went to a tie break and he JUST edged it. Great fight from Simon as well credit to him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22474479

I think Murray will struggle against Berdych. He hasn't looked too convincing in this tournament as well as in Monte Carlo, he'll probably lose that one.

Federer lost to Nishikori in 3 sets, Murray moves back ahead of him to world number 2.

Nadal should absolutely breeze this tournament. Was pretty much the case once Djokovic was knocked out.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2013, 10:30:02 pm »
Nadal into his seventh straight final since his return. Plays Wawrinka in the Madrid Open final.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22497511

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2013, 10:34:39 pm »
The French will certainly be very interesting with Nadal in impressive form since his return and Djokovic having a great year as well. Don't think Federer or Murray will come into it to be honest although Fed is a bit of a wildcard having not played much this year.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2013, 04:57:26 pm »
Murray retired injured against Granollers in Rome today after making it a set-all. He's saying he will be 'surprised' if he is fit enough to play at the French Open.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22540156

That's a shame. Hopefully he can put his efforts into being fit for Queens and then Wimbledon as i think he has a good chance at Wimbledon if he's fully fit.