Author Topic: Re: Liverpool Women FC (away vs Bristol - 20/04 - 12:30 ko) (*)  (Read 595876 times)

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
Re: Liverpool Ladies FC (*)
« Reply #240 on: February 1, 2013, 07:02:17 pm »
If I remember correctly, both Whitney and Amanda played a full 90 minutes against City. I've seen Whitney play a couple of times before but that was my first time seeing Amanda. I'm really looking forward to watching their next game. I think they'll both be very good additions to the squad.

Thanks for the update!  I'll be checking in as the season goes on. I hope they can help move the LFC Ladies up the table.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: February 4, 2013, 05:27:34 pm »
Just bumping for the game tomorrow tonight

vs Leeds United @ Halton Stadium, Widnes (WA8 7DZ). Kick off 7.30pm
£2 for adults and £1 for children
« Last Edit: February 5, 2013, 03:17:51 pm by kellan »

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: February 5, 2013, 03:32:29 pm »
The FA today confirmed FA WSL fixtures for season three for both the league campaign and The FA WSL Continental Cup.

The season kicks off on the weekend of the 23 / 24 March with Group Stage One matches of The FA WSL Continental Cup.

A new look Liverpool Ladies side begin their Cup campaign with a Merseyside derby against rivals Everton Ladies in what will be the first competitive game at their new home ground, Halton Stadium.

The FA can also confirm that the derby clash will be ESPN’s first live match of the 2013 season. The match kicks off at 7.15pm with coverage beginning on ESPN at 6.45pm.

And our league games:

Offline cyador

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #243 on: February 5, 2013, 03:38:13 pm »
Hope they do well this year, good to see the commitment from the club to the womens team.

Hopefully they can work on attracting decent crowds to the stadium as well, probably needs a sustained media campaign to raise peoples awareness regarding the improving womens team.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: February 6, 2013, 10:18:11 am »
Ladies continue winning run

Liverpool FC Ladies continued their impressive start to the pre-season programme by beating Leeds United 4-1 at the Halton Stadium on Tuesday night.

Liverpool enjoyed plenty of possession in the first half but failed to convert any of the chances that came their way.  Sarah Quantrill kept Liverpool on level terms when she pushed a Leeds shot onto the post just before the interval.

Five minutes into the second half Lillie Billson broke the deadlock with a fine strike into the net. Gemma Bonner extended Liverpool's lead before a well-timed run by Leeds number 10 put her in space behind Liverpool's back line, she took her chance well. Late goals from Katy Brusell and Lizzie Ince secured a 4 - 1 win for Liverpool. - liverpoolladiesfc.com

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: February 8, 2013, 07:38:20 pm »
Ladies confirm two new arrivals

Manager Matt Beard has recruited the vast experience of Becky Easton and the clever passing abilities of Jess Holbrook in time for the start of the new Women's Super League campaign.

Lifelong Red Easton has over 25 years' experience of playing at the top level.

She played for Liverpool between 1994 and 1997 and was instrumental when the Reds finished runners-up in the top division in 1995.

After leaving, Easton spent two spells across Stanley Park with Everton either side of a switch to Doncaster Belles. She has won the Premier League, League Cup and FA Cup.

Her extensive contribution to women's football was acknowledged when she was chosen to be an Olympic torch-bearer in June 2012.

The former England captain has 44 England caps and was voted 'International Player of the Year' in 2001.

"Early on in my career, I played for Knowsley United Ladies when they became Liverpool Ladies," explained Easton. "So now it's nice to come full-circle and join Liverpool again towards the latter part of my career.

"From what I've seen so far, the club is moving in the right direction and there are exciting times ahead. I hope the experience and qualities I've gained over many years in the women's game can assist the squad as we strive for success."

Ladies manager Beard commented: "After Becky was released by Everton she came into train with us during the off season. Becky has impressed me enough to earn a one-year deal. She obviously brings a wealth of experience and will provide good competition in the back line."

Meanwhile, Holbrook, who started her career with Everton, has represented England at U17 and U19 level and is a current member of the England U23 squad. She joins the Ladies from Leeds United.

"This fantastic opportunity to join Liverpool came up and I couldn't turn it down," said Holbrook. "I'm looking forward to being part of it.

"The drive and ambitions the club have to be successful has impressed me the most. As a footballer, it's everything you could ever want."

Her new boss said: "I've been out and watched Jess a few times this season for Leeds and I have to say she was one of the best midfielders in The FA Women's Premier League.

"Jess is coming to the club to be in our starting XI and she provides good competition for places in an already talented midfield." - liverpoolfc.com
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:20:54 pm by kellan »

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #246 on: February 10, 2013, 06:16:38 pm »
top: Dowie, Bronze, Bonner (C), Engen, Katrín (Ómarsdóttir), Evans--bottom: Brusell, DaCosta, Rolser, Williams

No wonder they are shite, they don't have goalkeeper  ;)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #247 on: February 10, 2013, 07:33:21 pm »
No wonder they are shite, they don't have goalkeeper  ;)
She'd be the one with the camera then. At least she didn't drop it ;D

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: February 12, 2013, 04:29:50 pm »
Ladies to face Rovers, Rangers, and Forfar

Matt Beard's new-look squad have won their opening two friendly games against Manchester City and Leeds United, and host Blackburn Rovers at the Halton Stadium on Wednesday night.

Kick-off is at 7.30pm GMT and admission for all home matches at the Halton Stadium during pre-season is just £2 for adults and £1 for children.

This weekend the ladies host a four-team tournament at the Halton Stadium and the clash with Scottish outfit Rangers will provide a good test for Beard's team.

The Reds host Rangers on Saturday at 2pm, and then face Forfar on Sunday at 2pm.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: February 12, 2013, 04:35:35 pm »
I read on twitter that there was an interview with Natasha Dowie in last nights West Brom programme. I wasn't able to get a copy of the programme myself, so would anybody be kind enough to share the interview?

Offline cyador

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2013, 11:59:41 pm »
Not sure if its the same one, but theres an interview on the bbc site. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21372597

The team beat blackburn 8- 0 tonight, things seem to be coming along nicely.

Offline cyador

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: February 14, 2013, 12:53:04 pm »
Not sure if this ones been mentioned, but the team seem to have made another signing.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/ladies-sign-german-star

Liverpool FC Ladies have announced a major new signing in German star Corina Schroder, who joins the club from SC 07 Bad Neuenahr.

Matt Beard's new-look squad are preparing for the 2013 Women's Super League season, which starts in March - and the addition of left-back Schroder is a major boost for the club.

Schroder has represented Germany at U23 level and played in the U20 World Cup and the women's Champions League.

Beard said: "Corina is, for me, the final piece in our jigsaw.

"It's been such a busy period rebuilding the squad and Corina is exactly the type of player that we want.

"She has represented Germany at all youth levels, including playing in the U20 World Cup and winning the Nordic Cup.

"Domestically in Germany she has won the league twice, the Champions League twice as well as the German Cup.

"She has plenty of experience and know-how in pressure games so her experience for the squad will be invaluable. We have plenty of strength and depth within our squad and plenty of competition for places."

Commenting on her move to England, Schroder said: "I'm looking forward for a new challenge in a new country having a different culture to play in a world-known club with a great history.

"First of all I want to give my thanks to my current club SC 07 Bad Neuenahr, who released me out of my contract to sign for Liverpool without any problem.

"Liverpool is working, building something great right now. I have spoken about that with Nicole Rolser.

"I'm looking forward to working with this international squad with the manager."

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: February 14, 2013, 01:30:47 pm »
Ladies fire eight past Rovers

Natasha Dowie fired a hat-trick as Liverpool FC Ladies thrashed Blackburn Rovers 8-0 in a pre-season friendly at the Halton Stadium.

Matt Beard's new-look side are making good progress and gearing up nicely for the start of the Women's Super League which resumes in March.

Recently signed from neighbours Everton, Dowie netted a superb treble, while other goals arrived from Lillie Billson (2), Lizzie Ince, Katie Brusell and new arrival from the USA Amanda Da Costa.

Commenting on the win, Beard said: "I was pleased with our overall performance.

"As we've played each game we've learn't a lot about each other and the players are understanding on how we are looking to play.

"We've had the opportunity in training to put the wrongs right and I think against Blackburn things clicked into place.

"We rotated the squad tonight which shows the players that there is competition for places and that everyone has to be at their best."

This weekend the ladies host a four-team tournament at the Halton Stadium and the clash with Scottish outfit Rangers will provide a good test for Beard's team.

The Reds host Rangers on Saturday at 2pm, and then face Forfar on Sunday at 2pm.
The new 2013 Women's Super League kicks off again in March. - liverpoolfc.com

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #253 on: February 14, 2013, 02:17:40 pm »
DaCosta is a good player. She'll do well there.

Question - are the Liverpool Ladies (and anyone in the WSL) getting paid enough for full time, or do they have to supplement their contracts with part-time work, or do they get paid at all?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: February 14, 2013, 03:32:01 pm »
Question - are the Liverpool Ladies (and anyone in the WSL) getting paid enough for full time, or do they have to supplement their contracts with part-time work, or do they get paid at all?
Circumstances at clubs vary a lot, so what is the norm at one may not be norm somewhere else. Unfortunately I don't know enough to say for certain what a typical wage is here or elsewhere, but I expect that all players in the league are paid at least something.

When the WSL was created they implemented a salary cap to help with financial parity. I haven't heard anything to confirm that the cap has been raised yet, so with that in mind I'll just state the figure which I do know. Players are not allowed to earn more than £20,000 a year for their job as a player, and only four players at each club can earn that maximum. Many players do have to supplement their income with secondary employment. That secondary employment is sometimes a different role within the club they play for, i.e. coaching the girl's youth teams, but more often than not their other jobs are completely unrelated to football.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: February 14, 2013, 03:34:46 pm »
Circumstances at clubs vary a lot, so what is the norm at one may not be norm somewhere else. Unfortunately I don't know enough to say for certain what a typical wage is here or elsewhere, but I expect that all players in the league are paid at least something.

When the WSL was created they implemented a salary cap to help with financial parity. I haven't heard anything to confirm that the cap has been raised yet, so with that in mind I'll just state the figure which I do know. Players are not allowed to earn more than £20,000 a year for their job as a player, and only four players at each club can earn that maximum. Many players do have to supplement their income with secondary employment. That secondary employment is sometimes a different role within the club they play for, i.e. coaching the girl's youth teams, but more often than not their other jobs are completely unrelated to football.

Interesting. Do you know if DaCosta had a Portuguese passport to get around the work permit issue, or did she get one on a US Passport fairly easily?

If it's better to ask the questions through PM, let me know. I know some things are not really for the public domain.

Cheers.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: February 14, 2013, 04:30:07 pm »
Interesting. Do you know if DaCosta had a Portuguese passport to get around the work permit issue, or did she get one on a US Passport fairly easily?

If it's better to ask the questions through PM, let me know. I know some things are not really for the public domain.

Cheers.
I really don't know. The story on the official website announcing her signing made the point of saying she's a dual national, and since dual nationals usually go in hand in hand with second passports I guess she could have used a Portuguese one.

The only other non-EU signing we've made is Whitney Engen, who also happens to be American which is handy for comparison, but since Engen has been capped at senior international level it makes things a little bit different.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: February 14, 2013, 04:45:13 pm »
I really don't know. The story on the official website announcing her signing made the point of saying she's a dual national, and since dual nationals usually go in hand in hand with second passports I guess she could have used a Portuguese one.

The only other non-EU signing we've made is Whitney Engen, who also happens to be American which is handy for comparison, but since Engen has been capped at senior international level it makes things a little bit different.

That would make sense.

We have players in the Scandinavian leagues who will be playing in the Women's Champions League when it restarts, and one of them is a diehard Liverpool fan. Good player too. She was in the national team pool but didn't get any full caps as far as I remember. Liverpool Ladies would be a dream for her, but work permit and matching her contract in the Scando leagues are her main problems.

Cheers for the info.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2013, 06:21:37 pm »
Reds Continue Fine Form

Liverpool Ladies continued their spell of fine pre-season form with a 6-0 victory over Glasgow Rangers in the first game of the weekend’s England v Scotland tournament at Halton Stadium.

Lizzie Ince broke the deadlock for the Reds after impressive footwork from Katie Brusell  saw her skip past a defender on the touchline, from where she played a long pass to Nicole Rosler, whose final delivery was inch perfect to Ince who headed home.

Liverpool held possession well following their goal and continued to press, with efforts from a number of players drifting wide of the Rangers goal.  Michelle Evan’s in-swinging left footed cross was found by the head of Gemma Bonner, but the skipper headed just wide.

It wasn’t long before Liverpool’s advantage was doubled and it was Lillie Billson with the goal just before half-time. A perfectly weighted pass from Jess Holbrook found the striker in plenty of space, whose powerful near-post effort beat the Rangers keeper.

Liverpool added another soon after the break, with Lillie Billson again striking for the Reds. A smart turn on the edge of the area beat three Rangers defenders, and she somehow managed to squeeze the ball over the top of the onrushing Rangers keeper to put the result beyond doubt.

Nicole Rosler added a fourth for Liverpool in the 55th minute, after she pounced on a poor back pass from a Rangers defender, and simply slotted the ball into the far corner of the net.

A foul on Nicole Rosler in the 63rd minute left the referee with no other option but to award the penalty, and it was Rosler who stepped up and coolly converted,  taking the score to 5-0.

Strong spells of Liverpool possession were briefly broken up with a Rangers attack, but the resulting shot was saved by Sarah Quantrill in the Liverpool goal.

Liverpool were denied a seemingly certain sixth 70 minutes in, but when Billson’s pass across goal was picked up by Katie Brusell, the winger could not convert and her low shot was well saved by the Rangers Keeper.

Manager Matt Beard opted for changes on the 75th minute, bringing off Lillie Billson who claimed a brace, and on came the Manager’s latest signing Corina Schroder, and just ten minutes later the Red’s managed another goal, this time it was Louise Fors who pounced on a loose ball after a smart save from the Rangers goalkeeper.

Michelle Evans found herself one on one with the Rangers goal in added time following a long clearance from Sarah Quantrill, but her left footed effort sailed just over the Rangers goal.

Final Score - Liverpool Ladies 6 – 0 Glasgow Rangers Ladies.

By Mitch Francis - liverpoolladiesfc.com

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2013, 06:27:21 pm »
It's looking like a good preseason for the LFC Ladies. Bringing that form into the league will be excellent for them. Just like the men's side, though, small steps. Will be a good campaign to look forward to I think

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2013, 09:13:43 pm »
Ladies fire nine past Forfar

Matt Beard's side hit six past Rangers on Saturday and they were in the mood for more goals at the Halton Stadium on Sunday.

Liverpool got off to a flying start thanks to goals from Louise Fors and Gemma Bonner in the first 7 minutes. By half time Liverpool were out of sight thanks to a first half hat-trick by Nicole Rolser.

A Fara Williams free kick further extended the lead before a lack of concentration in the Liverpool defence gave Forfar a consolation goal. Further goals by Whitney Engen, Jess Holbrook and Fara Williams followed.

Beard told Liverpoolfc.com: "I'm pleased with how we are progressing, I am happy with the goals we are scoring and the way we are getting different goalscorers.

"There is still a lot of hard work to do before the season starts and the players have to keep their feet on the ground.

"The early signs are promising but there is a long way to go." - liverpoolfc.com
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:19:30 pm by kellan »

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2013, 09:30:33 pm »
Fucking Hell!

Completely different team to what we've become used to, eh? Well done, Reds!
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
  • I just can't get enough...
« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2013, 11:13:02 pm »
I know the ladies have had a big over haul recently, but they have started their pre-season so well. Keep it up ladies. A huge improvement from not winning a game their previous season.
“Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.”

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: February 20, 2013, 02:18:12 pm »
Just in case anybody was planning to go - the game against Villa tomorrow night is off because Villa now have a fixture clash.

----------

Merseyside Derby Televised on ESPN   --  (but you're all going to go in person anyway, yes? ;) )

Saturday 23rd March 7.30pm, Halton Stadium.

Following the announcement of The FA Women’s Super League fixtures for season three, the opening weekend will be one to watch for Merseyside football fans as Liverpool Ladies FC take on Everton Ladies FC with Group Stage One matches of The FA WSL Continental Cup, which will also mark ESPN’s first live match of the WSL season.

The match promises to be a spectacular start to the season with both teams bringing in new faces to their squad.

Under the new management of Matt Beard, Liverpool Ladies’ dazzling new line-up includes Fara Williams and Natasha Dowie who have stepped across from Everton Ladies, International defender Whitney Engen of USA, Icelandic international Katrin Ómarsdóttir and Gemma Bonner from Chelsea Ladies.

Everton Ladies will be kicking off the season with new manager at the helm, Andy Spence, and also boast an impressive squad with three England International players including Toni Duggan and Alex Greenwood who recently picked up individual honours at The FA England Awards. In addition the experienced side includes Jill Scott, Danielle Hill, Fern Whelan, Lindsey Johnson and twins Kelly and Vicky Jones who have recently switched from Liverpool Ladies.

The Cup tie will be the first competitive match to be played at the impressive Halton Stadium; the new home of Liverpool Ladies which is also home to Rugby League outfit Widnes Vikings for Liverpool Ladies.

Liverpool Ladies manager Matt Beard commented: “This couldn’t be a better start to the season - the first match at our new home ground, against our local rivals Everton, with a totally reshaped squad, live on ESPN! It will be a good test to see how our new squad settle in and how we are progressing as a group. We are really hoping such an exciting fixture will attract a good crowd.”

Andy Spencer, new Everton Ladies manager added: “Derby games on Merseyside are always exciting affairs so there’s no better way to kick off the season. We are really looking forward to it and hopefully there will be a big crowd there to get behind the girls on the night.”

With tickets costing only £5 for an adult and £2.50 for children and concessions, the Merseyside derby offers a perfect opportunity to experience top class women’s professional football at an affordable price. - liverpoolladiesfc.com

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2013, 01:37:32 pm »
The FA Women's Cup Fifth Round - our first competitive game of the season

Sunday 17th March

Sunderland v Manchester City
Aston Villa v Liverpool
Doncaster Rovers Belles v Bristol Academy
Cardiff City v Birmingham City
Nottingham Forest v Arsenal
Oxford United v Everton
Lincoln Ladies v Chelsea
Leeds United v Yeovil Town

Final to played at Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium on Sunday 26th May. Live on BBC2.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: March 10, 2013, 01:36:21 pm »
They'll be at Anfield for the match today and will be on the pitch at half time. Give them a wave.

And the player profiles on the official site have been fully updated now - www.liverpoolladiesfc.com

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:41:14 pm by kellan »

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: March 13, 2013, 07:37:05 pm »
Time for an update:

You may or may not have seen by now that the team spent yesterday morning at Melwood. I won't post all the photos because they're already on RAWK here. Videos to come.

Free tickets for all of this season's home games are available for football teams and schools. Full details on liverpoolladiesfc.com

Whitney Engen has just won her first tournament with the senior US team. They beat Germany 2-0 in the final of this year's Algarve Cup. She picked up a few more caps and her first senior goal along the way.
Katrín Ómarsdóttir was also in Portugal with Iceland who finished 9th.

Fara Williams and England beat Canada 1-0 to win this years Cyprus Cup. Hopefully that's a good omen for the Euros in the summer, because last time England beat Canada in the Cyprus Cup final was in 2009 and they made the final of Euros that year too.

The BBC have announced plans to cover the WSL on TV and online. You can read the details in full here.
They also have the FA Cup final back. It will be shown on BBC 2 on Sunday 26th May. The final is to be played at Doncaster.

And to finish, just a brief mention that the PFA are opening up registration to WSL players for the first time.

Our first competitive game of the season is on Sunday (17th) away to Aston Villa in the last 16 of the FA Cup. The tie will kick off at 2pm and take place at Boldmere St. Michaels, Sutton Coldfield, B73 5RY

:scarf

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: March 17, 2013, 10:00:42 am »
Villa's pitch has passed this morning's inspection. Today's game is on. The season is officially starting at last.

Good luck, ladies!  :wave

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: March 17, 2013, 02:03:01 pm »
From Twitter:

Liverpool Ladies FC ‏@LFCladies
STARTING LINE UP: Quantrill 24, Easton 12, Bonner 5, Engen 3, Schroder 19, Omarsdottir 8, Williams 4, Da Costa 13, Rolser 11, Dowie 9, Fors 10

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: March 17, 2013, 02:18:33 pm »
1-0 :)

8 mins: GOAL Fara shoot from 25 yds just inside the right hand post

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: March 17, 2013, 02:39:31 pm »
2-0 now, penalty

34 mins: Liverpool pen, Nicole brought down by keeper when through on goal.

Louise Fors neatly converts the penalty 0-2

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: March 17, 2013, 03:27:56 pm »
Paul Garrity ‏@paul_garrity
GOAL! 57 mins. @fara_williams47 lobs keeper to extend the lead. @AVLFC 0-3 @LFCladies

63 mins @ADacosta13 carried off the pitch with a leg injury. Replaced by Jess Holbrook.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: March 17, 2013, 03:38:00 pm »
74 mins.. @tatsdowie capitalises on mistake by the @AVLFC defence to round the keeper and to score @AVLFC 0-4 @LFCladies

GOAL! 77 mins.. @fara_williams47 put though and completes her hat trick with ease. @AVLFC 0-5 @LFCladies

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: March 17, 2013, 03:59:14 pm »
FT 5-0  8)

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: March 17, 2013, 04:51:08 pm »
Liverpool Brush Villa Aside

With a Fara Williams hat trick in her debut competitive game for Liverpool and goals from Natasha Dowie and Louise Fors Liverpool were comfortable for their 5-0 win

Right from the off, Liverpool were pushing forward. In the first minute Amanda Da Costa put Natasha Dowie through on goal but Natasha’s shot was right to the keeper. The pressure continued and on 7 minutes A Fara Williams free kick was saved by the keeper, but a minute later a 25 yard shot from Fara beat the keeper just inside the right hand post to open the scoring.

Liverpool continued to pile on the pressure and you got the impression that further goals would follow but Villa managed to keep Liverpool at bay until the 34th minute when Nicole Rolser ‘s pace took her through one on one with the keeper. The keeper brought Nicole down and a penalty was awarded, but no cards were reached for! Louise Fors tucked the penalty neatly to the left of the keeper to extend the lead to 0-2.

Further chances followed for Liverpool: Fara lobbed onto the bar and Amanda Da Costa was unable to control her shot from the rebound. Just before half-time the villa keeper saved a Natasha Dowie shot and scrabled the ball for a corner.

Twelve minutes into the second half Fara lobbed the keeper to take Liverpool to a 3-0 lead. The only sad note for Liverpool happened in the 63rd minute when Amanda Da Costa was carried off with a leg injury. Jess Holbrook came on to replace her.

On 74 minutes a mistake by the Villa defence put Natasha through on goal. Natash rounded the keeper before passing into the net. Three minutes later Fara Williams was again through on goal and completed her hat trick with ease.

Liverpool made further substitutions when they brought on Lillie Billson for Louise Fors and a few minutes later Michelle Evans for Corina Schroder.

Villa found it difficult to deal with the pace of Nicole Rolser and it was no surprise when she was brought down for a second time in the area; the referee had no hesitation in awarding a second penalty. What was a surprise was when Fara hit the post from the spot, but perhaps 3 is plenty for a debut and Liverpool were well worth their 5-0 win. - liverpoolladiesfc.com

Aston Villa Team:
Natalie Courtney (GK), Erin Vaughan, Aoife Mannion, Natasha Merritt, Dani Petrovic, Jade Richards, Olivia Fergusson, Abbey-Leigh Stringer, Natalie Gibson, Chloe Jones, Kelly Clarke
Subs: Katy Moran, Laura Cooper, Jenni Lowe, Carly Davies, Bethan Merrick

Liverpool Team:
Sarah Quantrill (GK), Becky Easton, Whitney Engen, Gemma Bonner (C), Corina Schroder, Fara Williams, Katrin Omarsdottir, Amanda Da Costa, Louise Fors, Natasha Dowie, Nicole Rolser
Subs: Katie Brusell, Michelle Evans, Jess Holbrook, Lillie Fenlon-Billson, Sophia Riccio
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:30:54 pm by kellan »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: March 17, 2013, 05:21:13 pm »
Gerrindere!!!!! Cheers for the updates, Paul and Kellan. Gonna be a VERY interesting season......

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #276 on: March 17, 2013, 06:05:02 pm »
Without getting too carried away, how much of a chance do the posters who watch LFC ladies think they got of winning the league this year?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: March 17, 2013, 08:34:34 pm »
In all honesty I reckon they have a realistic chance to challenge the leading teams. How high they finish is anyone's guess but I will nail my colours to the mast now and say they will deffo avoid the drop that will kick in this season.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #278 on: March 17, 2013, 08:49:34 pm »
In all honesty I reckon they have a realistic chance to challenge the leading teams. How high they finish is anyone's guess but I will nail my colours to the mast now and say they will deffo avoid the drop that will kick in this season.

Yeah I don't think there is any danger of them going down. It'd be nice to see the ladies put LFC on the map in womens football and either challenge or win the league or womens FA Cup.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: March 17, 2013, 08:50:58 pm »
Forgive me, I tend to ramble on this subject...

It's difficult to say exactly how we compare to some because there are four(?) weeks left before the transfer window closes. Our business is done, but the clubs which are likely to be our nearest competition haven't finished recruiting yet or have barely started.

The WSL is only 14 games long, and the difference between winning the league and not winning the league has in the past been as little as three points. Your season needs to be as perfect as possible to finish in 1st place.

Based on what I've seen of us, and as things stand right now with other clubs, we're looking good for a comfortable top half of the table finish as a minimum. It would be less comfortable if our nearest competition do manage to strengthen, but I still expect top half. I don't think 2nd place (and a Champions League spot) is beyond us at all, but to get 1st we would really need to beat Arsenal at least once (maybe twice just to be greedy, but sure). So in short, winning the title is definitely not impossible, but it will be very difficult.

And given the fact that we've finished bottom in the last two seasons, some poor unsuspecting bookmaker might give very good odds for us to win it.