Author Topic: Southampton vs Liverpool, Saturday 19th November, 3pm  (Read 61990 times)

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Southampton vs Liverpool, Saturday 19th November, 3pm
« on: November 9, 2016, 08:14:57 am »
  vs   

After a few days of glorious reflection on how we took Watford apart on Sunday afternoon, it’s time to move on and focus in on the next game. Pretty flipping good though wasn’t it? And what a great time to be in charge of the RAWK preview thread. With the reds sitting top of the league (please see evidence below) after yet another scintillating performance, things are looking rosy and it’s a joy to write about.

See, we're top

The two week gap between games is of course a bit of a pain in the arse; like everybody else at the moment a game every day would do me nicely. Alas, that may prove too demanding for Jurgen’s pressing style (Twitter egg alert). Plus, heading into an international break on such a high note is surely better than heading into one after a devastating low, such as, oh I don’t know, an away defeat at Hull. What certainly isn’t ideal is our lads flying here, there and everywhere to represent their countries, the major standouts being Phil and Bob who have a game Wednesday morning GMT away in the nearby location of…Peru.

Ordinarily the team picks itself when in such good form; unchanged from Watford other than Lovren back in for Lucas would be a no-brainer if not for the travelling and the inevitable knock or two that will be picked up. Cause for a bit of concern perhaps, although in that 6-1 last season it was Sturridge and Origi who shone, suddenly the reds have options and strength in depth which I think will be put to the test here. Opportunities beckon, perhaps, for some on the fringe.

Southampton
The first time I saw Southampton play live was in September 2009. That night they sat routed to the bottom of League 1 with a whopping points tally of minus 1. Bristol Rovers were the opponents; I travelled down to St Mary’s with a mate who’s a massive Rovers fan. The Southampton eleven contained Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert and Morgan Schneiderlin. Despite the two future Liverpool players getting on the scoresheet, Bristol Rovers smashed in 95th minute winner to take the points in a 3-2 thriller. As the home stands emptied the away end broke into a chorus of “we are going up”. 7 years on and Southampton are Premiership top half regulars and Bristol Rovers are still in League 1, via seasons in League 2 and the Conference. It’s a funny old game.

I mention this not in an attempt to bore you all with pointless nostalgia but to point out just how well Southampton have done in such a short space of time to move on from those dark days. Their work in the transfer market has been fantastic, making huge profits from, well, mainly us, and then reinvesting that money and managing to improve. They are currently on a remarkable run of breaking their record points tally in the premier league three seasons in a row, in terms of final position in the table they have also improved for the last seven years in a row, and in Claude Puel they seem to have another manager that promotes youth and good, attacking football.

By looking at the table you would assume it’s been an average to disappointing start to the season for them, but since a rough start and a settling in period for the new gaffer they have come on pretty well in the league, and in Europe managed a 2-1 victory over Inter Milan. A far cry from 95th minute defeats in League 1.After successive defeats against Chelsea and Hull however, you can be sure that they will be reeling and determined to come back stronger when Liverpool come to town. We can expect them to try to dominate the ball and be adventurous; exciting for their fans but potentially mouth-watering for us as well. Reading the forums the fans seem a bit split at the moment, with some feeling they are guilty of a bit too much sideways passing in their pursuit of a possession based style, despite being armed with a lot of pace, Redmond in particular on their right offers a real threat. While they may be struggling to create chances, in Charlie Austin they have a very good goalscorer who will fancy being given an opportunity or two by our defence.

Past encounters
I love a good reminisce over old games and this fixture stirs up lots of memories. 3-3 at the Dell from 3-0 up in our treble winning season. The aforementioned 6-1. Coutinho’s screamer in the cup under Brendan Rodgers. The home defeat that ruined our great start in 13/14, Dejan Lovren striking the winner. Last season’s capitulation from 2 goals up.

The absolute stand out for me though is the trip to St Mary’s back in March 2014. A free flowing, goal mad, defensively vulnerable Liverpool side, beginning to be spoken about as title contenders. Sound familiar? A good Southampton team were swept aside, the travelling Kop stayed behind singing Poetry in Motion and for one of the few times in my 24 years of existence I truly believed we would win the league. There are parallels to be drawn.

Currently it is much earlier in the season, and whatever the result next Saturday we have it all to play for. But these are the types of tricky fixture that the best teams, the title winning teams, win by hook or by crook. A 1-0 victory here would be as big a statement as any 6-1 or 4-0.

I won’t go down the route of predicting teams because, with the internationals, who knows?! The important thing is that we have very good options and strength in depth compared to some of our squads from seasons past and I’m confident we can come out of this one with another three points.
Up the reds!
« Last Edit: November 9, 2016, 10:21:58 am by alonsoisared »

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Southampton vs Liverpool, Saturday 19th November, 3pm
« Reply #1 on: November 9, 2016, 09:02:05 am »
Nice one Alonso, should be a good match between two positive teams.

Southampton seem to be the club that everyone likes and rightly so, they're well run and play good football. And we've had some bad memories against them, last season obviously where we threw away the victory and in 2000 where we, uh, threw away the victory. But some good memories too recently - Coutinho's stunner from a couple of years ago sticks out - and it's a much better place to go to than The Dell.

Looking forward to it. Don't like international breaks but it's a nice feeling going into them with a victory. Hopefully we can continue that run.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: November 9, 2016, 09:45:36 am »
Goes without saying All games are must win game for us until we reach the magic Points to clinch the Damn Thing.

How we perform on this game will be dependent on the brazilian duo. I guess firmino will mostly warm the bench for Brazil whereas coutinho will play games. Wont be surprised if Coutinho is benched for this and Firmino comes on the left with Sturridge/Origi Taking the strikers role.

*touchwood* Most teams struggle after international Break . This game has all the indications for a slow burner.

Hope we come out with 3points. I expect chelsea, Manc, Arsenal to drop points. None of them have an easy Game.

Comeon you mighty Reds

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2016, 10:06:49 am »
We have 18 players selected for their countries; Saints have 14, so they have the same issues we face.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10215090/all-premier-league-players-on-full-international-duty

Watford, surprisingly, comprises 10 Internationals. Spurs and Saints are the next highest, after Liverpool. Surprising, City has only 12, Arsenal only 11.

In some ways, this gives some insight into the strength of our squad.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 9, 2016, 10:22:07 am »
^ that link has Mané on their squad and Joe Allen, Benteke and Brad Smith in ours :D

Saints have 14, so they have the same issues we face.

I'm worried about our Brazilians - bound to be physically and mentally knackered
I don't know anything about Southampton's starting XI - but we've got two definites (under normal circumstances) that Klopp will be worried about - you know they will be kicking each other to fuck in the Brasil Argentina game

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5 on: November 9, 2016, 10:55:42 am »
Chelsea did an incredible job of completely strangling Southampton's attack and winning the game with a couple of moments of superior quality. It was a textbok away performance really. I don't think we have it in us to d the first bit, so we'll have to go toe-to-toe. Worried, but I worry about every game :P

Thankfully this time they don't have Mane and Pelle to batter us
« Last Edit: November 9, 2016, 10:59:20 am by rowan_d »

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2016, 11:09:55 am »
^ that link has Mané on their squad and Joe Allen, Benteke and Brad Smith in ours :D

I'm worried about our Brazilians - bound to be physically and mentally knackered
I don't know anything about Southampton's starting XI - but we've got two definites (under normal circumstances) that Klopp will be worried about - you know they will be kicking each other to fuck in the Brasil Argentina game

Ha, so it does. I had just looked at the headline number. Still gives us 15 players on International duty.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7 on: November 9, 2016, 11:34:01 am »
Lovely read, thanks.  Coutinho's screamer was a League game though,  Sterling scored late on to make it 2-0.

We've had some odd results there over the years,  several comfortable wins and a few shockers thrown in there too. That 3-3 was a sickener. Remember having to go out with us 3-0 up after about 70 minutes and didn't believe my dad when he told me later it was 3-3.

Also remember losing there 4-2 in the snow under Souness with Dicks and the like being embarrassed.  We were 4-0 down at one point.

We also lost there 4-1 under Kenny in the late 80s and 1-0 in the run in of 91 courtesy of a Shearer goal I think as our title charge petered out.

Sorry for all the doom and gloom, here's to a 13/14 repeat instead!

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 9, 2016, 12:01:14 pm »

Nice one Alonso, should be a good match between two positive teams.

Southampton seem to be the club that everyone likes and rightly so

I've always liked Southampton, then this absolute knob of a boss that I had was a Southampton fan.

He talked so much shit about liverpool, despite me never saying a bad word about Southampton nor biting back.

I ended up having more to do with him through football, so from being a team I would've put very close to my second team, this is now one of the fixtures I want to win more than any other.

I want to like them. I just can't.

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: November 9, 2016, 12:01:47 pm »
We have 18 players selected for their countries; Saints have 14, so they have the same issues we face.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10215090/all-premier-league-players-on-full-international-duty

Watford, surprisingly, comprises 10 Internationals. Spurs and Saints are the next highest, after Liverpool. Surprising, City has only 12, Arsenal only 11.

In some ways, this gives some insight into the strength of our squad.

That list's from march.
Edit: I see that's been covered!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 9, 2016, 12:07:51 pm »
I'm only worried because of the international break and the impact it will have on our players.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 9, 2016, 12:11:59 pm »
I'm only worried because of the international break and the impact it will have on our players.

Agreed, especially as both Coutinho and Firmino will likely be getting back late too.

Think a diamond shape might be best here with Sturridge and Origi, like we did in League Cup last year.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 9, 2016, 12:16:57 pm »
On paper the toughest game we've got until New Years Eve. 3 points would be huge.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 9, 2016, 12:19:00 pm »
These get really overrated but the circumstances especially make it a tough one. Hopefully we can get it done as like the poster above says 3 points here would be huge.

But if not, we go again the week after with a piss easy home game!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14 on: November 9, 2016, 12:29:52 pm »
Are our Brazilians likely to start both games? Think Firmino has been a sub more recently hasn't he?

Guess the major factor is how late back they arrive than rather they'll be physically fresh enough. At least the Argentina game is first up as you'd imagine that would be the more draining game to be involved in.

If we could at least one of them back and ready to start that would be something. Fingers crossed. At least we know (as with when Mané is away too) that we have absolutely top quality players itching to get a chance which is more than we've had in previous title challenging seasons.  Might mean having to change how we set up a little but at least the options are there.

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #15 on: November 9, 2016, 12:48:35 pm »
Every game seems immediately bigger than the last - such a strange, but great, feeling so early in the season.

Disappointing to have one of our more difficult pre-Christmas fixtures after the international break, but I guess other teams are in the same boat.

Coutinho and Firmino's schedule is disappointing - two qualifiers, one on Thursday and the next on Wednesday... The Wednesday game is early hours of the morning, so you would imagine they would be back in Liverpool on the Thursday, ready to travel with the squad on Friday. It's a big ask for a 3pm Saturday KO. Do you put your strongest X1 on paper out knowing it may now perform at 100%, or make changes to ensure there is a freshness in the side? We struggled a little after the last international break, but then we didn't start with our best team but we did kind of finish with the strongest one available, and looked a lot better for it.

Given the hype about Southampton, I was surprised to see they were sitting in 10th. Their best PL results this season have been a draw at City and winning 3-0 at West Ham... Was it the win in the EL against Inter Milan that have people talking about them? I genuinely don't know - I was expecting to look at the table and see them a bit further up and with a few more points than they have.

If both Brazilians are healthy and aren't carrying any knocks or niggles, then I'd start with our best team. If we need to rest one of them then Sturridge and Origi are excellent options. Both have had brilliant games at this ground in the past - once playing together.

Winning this would be huge, given the scope for many of the other top sides to drop points in this round of fixtures.

Crossing everything we don't lose key players due to the international games.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2016, 12:51:20 pm by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 9, 2016, 12:57:49 pm »
Thanks for the OP enjoyed it.

Not sure if im delighted with you for posting now to provide some focus or devastated you've posted now reminding us we have 10 days to wait!!

Tough game. Expecting Brazilian magic off bench only so a huge test. Hopefully all return safely anyway. Can see lovren for Lucas, wijnaldum for coutinho, push lallana forward and sturridge for firmino.

We can win but would be content with a draw here. That's not being negative just a nod to it being our tightest fixture for a bit and we won't win them all. that said 2-1 reds!

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 9, 2016, 01:03:25 pm »
I don't think Southampton are anywhere near the level they were under Pochettino and Koeman, yet.

They will come at us which should play into our hands, but it also makes the first goal vital.

All in all it remains a very tricky game and a point wouldn't be the worst result in the world. Hopefully fans realise this if we slip up.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 9, 2016, 01:13:07 pm »
Hoping all our first team players on international duty stay injury free. Can see us being pushed hard in a tight game with both Sturridge and Origi starting one goal in it to us.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Roarin-red

• Kemlynite
« Reply #19 on: November 9, 2016, 01:19:59 pm »
Hoping for a clean sheet and a routine 3-0 win. I nipped over to the saints pre game thread. Petrified would be an understatement. This is what we want(not from the fans) but from the players. I've been through the whole hog of being a Liverpool fan.
Especially the teams that get the belief against us when they smelt blood when we weren't so good. Now however we are reaching a place were teams are praying to get out of a game alive and with every win we piece together the more that will grow. People can say players are professional and all that but they also get sucked into media hype and I just hope we can crush everything in our way until we get to City and then do a number on them to throw down a serious marker!!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 9, 2016, 01:38:10 pm »
I'm just glad that Mane can't score against us for once.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #21 on: November 9, 2016, 01:40:29 pm »
I'm just glad that Mane can't score against us for once.

I'm going to hunt you down when he scores an own goal.

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 9, 2016, 02:00:54 pm »
Not arsed about a clean sheet or boring crap like that just as long as we score more than them

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #23 on: November 9, 2016, 02:02:56 pm »
Hoping for a clean sheet and a routine 3-0 win. I nipped over to the saints pre game thread.

Where is that, mate?

Offline jboy14

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: November 9, 2016, 02:47:11 pm »
Kaurius
Clyne
Milner
Matip
Lovren
Henderson
Can
Lallana
Mane
Sturridge
Wijnaldum

Would be my team to start against the Saints.
Of all the unimportant things in life, football is the most important.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #25 on: November 9, 2016, 02:58:15 pm »

See, we're top
Smashing read that buddy, loved the pic of Klopp next to LFC top! ;D 8)

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: November 9, 2016, 03:27:11 pm »
It's painfully obvious what's going to happen.

Coutinho will be on the bench. Origi (or Firmino if he doesn't get much game time abroad), Sturridge and Mane will start.

3-1 to us, although, if we are clinical, then perhaps 4 or 5-1.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #27 on: November 9, 2016, 03:51:38 pm »
Time to get your goal and prove your point Danny.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline lastbaron

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: November 9, 2016, 04:28:30 pm »
Contain Redmond and it's okay.

Online mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 9, 2016, 04:31:33 pm »
Contain Redmond and it's okay.

It's not as though he's set the world alight either. He's been alright but not exactly anything special.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #30 on: November 9, 2016, 05:19:08 pm »
Nice OP mate  :thumbup

It feels like this fucking thing is about a month away. Can't wait.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline TheBigRedFatPanda

• Main Stander
  • I'm a people's man, only the people matter- Shanks
« Reply #31 on: November 9, 2016, 05:28:29 pm »
Time to get your goal goals and prove your point Danny.

Corrected that for you!  ;)

Offline TheBigRedFatPanda

• Main Stander
  • I'm a people's man, only the people matter- Shanks
« Reply #32 on: November 9, 2016, 05:31:56 pm »
Effing international break! Cannot wait for the next game now and i'm sure the same will be case on the 20th! St Mary's has been kind to us recently and this lot do try to play football so this should be a good game. Cannot expect anything other than a win for us! Come on redmen!

Offline vallapureddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 9, 2016, 06:01:24 pm »
We scored minimum of 2 goals in the last 3 league outings there. So defense better be prepared not to leak more than one goal. :D :D :D :D

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #34 on: November 9, 2016, 06:33:17 pm »
Huge game this. Our most difficult game on paper between now and NYE. A win would be absolutely huge for the confidence of the side and the fans and for also putting 'holy shit they are the real deal' thoughts into our rivals heads. Arsenal are away to United too so could be a chance to put some distance between us and them.

Gutting that it comes after the International break because Jurgen won't get the time he needs with the players. Think that had an impact on our fluency after the last international break when we had United first up after it. Also it is an absolute ball ache that we essentially get Firmino and Coutinho back a day before the game. I just don't see any way that they can BOTH be played. Last time Phil came back late from Brazil he was only on the bench. Having one of them out with the form they are in would be a blow but having two of them out could be a serious blow. If one of them is out then I'd bring Origi in. Strong and pacey and will be able to run their CBs all over the place. Then later in the game we can bring the other Brazilian on. If both aren't ready to start then I'd think about going with the diamond and have Mane off Studge and Origi. Emre isn't on international duty so reckon he will start ahead of Wijnaldum.

Not going to give a prediction right now because I do believe this is a hard one to call. All I'll say is a win would be HUGE and really set us up to go on a run to establish ourselves as the leaders heading in to the new year.
Believe

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 9, 2016, 06:56:27 pm »
C'mon, Reds, give me a win for my birthday.

Unleash the diamond on them again.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #36 on: November 9, 2016, 06:59:42 pm »
C'mon, Reds, give me a win for my birthday.

Unleash the diamond on them again.

It's mine too. Gimme a hug!

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 9, 2016, 08:21:25 pm »
Was wondering if someone could put up a list of Saints players on international duty over the coming week ?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 9, 2016, 10:26:01 pm »
Was wondering if someone could put up a list of Saints players on international duty over the coming week ?

Struggling on phone to copy text sorry

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2016-11-08/saints-stars-set-for-november-international-fixtures

Online stevienash

• Legacy Fan
  • 'White liquid in a bottle has to be milk.'"
« Reply #39 on: November 9, 2016, 10:39:10 pm »
Still over a week and a half till this game!!! Haven't felt like this for a few years since you know when!