Author Topic: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO  (Read 72774 times)

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
Re: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO
« Reply #360 on: February 27, 2014, 11:38:33 am »
So is Sakho back?!

Maybe for the bench

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #361 on: February 27, 2014, 11:43:48 am »
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. Temba, his arms wide.
Ha ha isn't that from an episode of Star Trek where everyone talks in stories? ;D

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #362 on: February 27, 2014, 11:44:18 am »
We should target Shaw in this game. He has been shaky this season and either one of Luis or Raheem set on him will cause lots of problems. Also, I'd rather see Glen on as RB than Flanno and Cissokho on the left. Flanno looked a little ragged against Routledge in the previous game.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #363 on: February 27, 2014, 12:03:56 pm »
We should target Shaw in this game. He has been shaky this season and either one of Luis or Raheem set on him will cause lots of problems. Also, I'd rather see Glen on as RB than Flanno and Cissokho on the left. Flanno looked a little ragged against Routledge in the previous game.

Flanno has been our form wing back. Seems very harsh to drop him.

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #364 on: February 27, 2014, 12:58:53 pm »
Later kick off will help imo. We have had some rather sluggish performances with earlier kick offs.

Arsenal  ???

Offline cmh86

• Main Stander
« Reply #365 on: February 27, 2014, 01:37:54 pm »
Joe Allen will start I think on Sat, did very well coming on against Swansea last weekend. Think Flanagan should be switched to LB. Need fluidity in the middle of the park against these as Schneiderlen and Wanyama will sit deep and play on the counter if possible, they pack the midfield.
"Anyone who doesn't learn from Ian Rush needs shooting." Robbie Fowler

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: February 27, 2014, 01:58:32 pm »
Joe Allen will start I think on Sat, did very well coming on against Swansea last weekend. Think Flanagan should be switched to LB. Need fluidity in the middle of the park against these as Schneiderlen and Wanyama will sit deep and play on the counter if possible, they pack the midfield.
Who makes way for Allen?

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: February 27, 2014, 02:00:33 pm »
Who makes way for Allen?

It'd be one of either Sterling or Coutinho. I'd go with Coutinho but I couldn't be sure either way to be honest.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #368 on: February 27, 2014, 02:04:10 pm »
Biggest game for the club since Athens.

Easy there.

Offline axlrose

• Anny Roader
« Reply #369 on: February 27, 2014, 02:07:40 pm »
i hope we go with this line up:
Mignolet - Flanagan Agger Skrtel Cissokho - Sterling Allen Gerrard Henderson Suarez - Sturridge.

with Coutinho coming on at around 60min mark.

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: February 27, 2014, 02:12:35 pm »
We'll batter them.....5-4

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #371 on: February 27, 2014, 02:13:55 pm »
Biggest game for the club since Athens.

Is this david moyes ?

Offline mjk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #372 on: February 27, 2014, 02:24:03 pm »
Rodgers: "Agger will play on Saturday, there's no question about that."

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #373 on: February 27, 2014, 02:25:51 pm »
Lucas and Sakho back in training but will miss Saturday - Pearce on twitter

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: February 27, 2014, 03:12:41 pm »
As with Swansea, I will be up in the sky when the game is playing. I am looking forward to be home and another 3 points. We owe them a big one.

Come on you Redmen!
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: February 27, 2014, 03:17:16 pm »

As with Swansea, I will be up in the sky when the game is playing. I am looking forward to be home and another 3 points. We owe them a big one.

Come on you Redmen!

What do you do?

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #376 on: February 27, 2014, 03:44:25 pm »
Our big mistake was playing with four central defenders in the home game. Our second mistake was playing Aspas central and Henderson on the right. If we'd switched those two positions, we might have had more joy. Southampton will play their usual 4-2-3-1, with the tight, pressing "3" behind Lambert (or whoever they play up front). So the key question is how do we cope with that. Luckily, the way we've been playing recently (as opposed to last season in the same fixture, say) is more able to hurt Southampton in terms of beating the press. Gerrard's accurate long passes over the pressing midfielders should put them on the back foot and facing their own goal. The attacking trio of Sterling/Suarez and Sturridge is enough to cause them problems, and you have to think that Suarez will score again very soon. It won't be an easy game, but their "bogeyness" has been as much our own doing as any quality they have themselves. If Rodgers plays a tactically balanced team, we should have enough to win this one, but it won't be comfortable. A one-game return to 3-5-2 with Sterling as right wing-back, and Flanagan on the left could pay dividends, but is probably not the direction Rodgers will go in.
PoP- a question..

Would switching the play from one flank to the other- regularly- along with Gerrard's passing from deep also not be effective against their press?

Apart from being compact, they normally press with more than one player, so at any time, we can expect 2/3 players drawn to one of our players and the ball- creating space somewhere else. If we switch the play down the flanks, the game would be stretched and there should have more space to operate in down the middle?
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline random22

• Kopite
« Reply #377 on: February 27, 2014, 03:46:26 pm »
Excitement is creeping up on me as the match draws near, especially when there is a possibility to move up to second place should Arsenal lose and we win.

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: February 27, 2014, 03:54:22 pm »

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #379 on: February 27, 2014, 03:55:03 pm »
Nice summary red pill!  Astute points.  I think one addendum to add is that after third or fourth pass, we need to play forward quickly.  This is usually called an up-back-through, but here I think we want to tempt Southampton to press us in the midfield and rely upon Stevie in lower positions and Phillipe is higher positions to spring our forwards.  This will give some space in the middle for Sterling or Henderson to follow up and can be disorienting to defend since it is so bang-bang.   

I think we could fall trap to playing beautiful one touch in our half without much purpose and then at a crucial time in the game where legs are tired and such, that one mistake could be countered.  While this specific fear could happen at any time, my hope is that our pattern play is based on sucking Schneiderlin out and playing into the space he vacates or the alley's between the center backs. 

Apologies for piling on such a bright a post, but I have a great deal of respect for their midfield (especially Lallana). 
Thanks Trend.

I agree that once we're in possession, we need to pass it forward. We've actually got quite good passers from deep.. Gerrard is obvious, but then there's Coutinho, Henderson and Luis, while Sterling does seem to have a good pass on him. Shame Sakho might not be involved, but he's also got a midfield-splitting pass in him for any willing runners to latch onto.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #380 on: February 27, 2014, 03:56:24 pm »
Carrier pigeon.
I'm thinking more along the lines of Balloonist or Superman.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Lots of Medals

• Anny Roader
« Reply #381 on: February 27, 2014, 03:58:45 pm »

Routledge when he is up for it can be a tough cookie, and he was up for it most of the time on Sat. We have to remember Flanno's time in the first team. He is going to make mistakes coming up against the different styles of play put before him, but he needs to keep playing to get the experience. I think he is intelligent enough to take in the lessons that are put in front of him. Tiredness is going to be a factor, how many games can he play without losing his sharpness.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #382 on: February 27, 2014, 04:03:31 pm »
PoP- a question..

Would switching the play from one flank to the other- regularly- along with Gerrard's passing from deep also not be effective against their press?

Apart from being compact, they normally press with more than one player, so at any time, we can expect 2/3 players drawn to one of our players and the ball- creating space somewhere else. If we switch the play down the flanks, the game would be stretched and there should have more space to operate in down the middle?

I'm not sure about that. A pressing team WANTS the opposition to go lateral and backwards with the ball, so they probably have a contingency plan for those switches of play. The way to beat the high press is the early penetration pass, the wall pass, or the dribble (and any combination that stems from these). If a team is playing laterally against a press, the squareness of the play is prone to mistakes and the quick transition that Southampton will be looking for (think Toure's pass against West Brom)
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #383 on: February 27, 2014, 04:53:15 pm »
Luke Shaw is going to be buzzing about the call up he's going to have a decent game I think!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #384 on: February 27, 2014, 04:57:28 pm »
Luke Shaw is going to be buzzing about the call up he's going to have a decent game I think!

Or he gets overconfident and plays too hard and underperforms
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #385 on: February 27, 2014, 05:13:38 pm »
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. Temba, his arms wide.
Shakka, when the walls fell.

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: February 27, 2014, 05:20:08 pm »

Looks that way

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #387 on: February 27, 2014, 05:28:04 pm »
Or he is worried about picking up a knock and missing his final chance of getting a spot on the plane for Brazil. Ditto Rodriguez and Lallana. They will know Hodgson will be looking at them in the squad not on what they do this Saturday.

Anyway, I don't care, they could all have the best games of their lives, and we can still beat them, because we have Suarez and Sturridge, and they can do anyone.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #388 on: February 27, 2014, 05:29:04 pm »
I'm thinking more along the lines of Balloonist or Superman.

You've both made the error of ruling out all three at once.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #389 on: February 27, 2014, 05:42:20 pm »
As with Swansea, I will be up in the sky when the game is playing.!
Window cleaner?
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: February 27, 2014, 05:51:23 pm »
I'm not sure about that. A pressing team WANTS the opposition to go lateral and backwards with the ball, so they probably have a contingency plan for those switches of play. The way to beat the high press is the early penetration pass, the wall pass, or the dribble (and any combination that stems from these). If a team is playing laterally against a press, the squareness of the play is prone to mistakes and the quick transition that Southampton will be looking for (think Toure's pass against West Brom)
Finding Coutinho (or Allen if he plays) is the key.

When we played them at home we didn't back ourselves to beat their press. We did it once or twice early on and had opportunities that we didn't make the most of. I think we are more confident now and Agger at centre back with the options of Suarez or Coutinho or in form Sterling being confident to take the ball under pressure behind their press will give us a great opportunity to put Sturridge away.

Big shame that Lovren might be back as he is their best defender.

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: February 27, 2014, 06:02:43 pm »
You've both made the error of ruling out all three at once.
I should have known!

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: February 27, 2014, 07:12:23 pm »
Enormous game, and an enormous test of both players and manager. Southampton have had our number tactically the last 2 times we have faced them, and the way they play can cause us a lot of problems.

If the title is a genuine aim, then this game will reveal it, for me. If we win, I think we can win the title. If we slip up, then it's looking like 4th is as far as we can go. Have to defend a million times better than did against Swansea.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: February 27, 2014, 07:17:25 pm »
Beat them.
Beat them.
Beat them.
Beat them.

Just beat them.

Offline Ruthless

• Wants to bed Matt Damon
  • Anny Roader
  • So heres to you Jordan Henderson!
« Reply #395 on: February 27, 2014, 07:23:51 pm »
Am i the only one absolutely bricking it for this game? With our dodgy away form and Southampton being one of the few teams in the league who actually know how to play against us, i have a bad feeling about the game. Biggest test of our character this season to some extent.
25-05-2005 - We won it for the 5th time, Coincidence? I think not. Oh and the goals? timed 54 mins, 56 mins and 59 Mins, Proof of destiny if you've ever asked for it.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #396 on: February 27, 2014, 07:25:37 pm »
Am i the only one absolutely bricking it for this game? With our dodgy away form and Southampton being one of the few teams in the league who actually know how to play against us, i have a bad feeling about the game. Biggest test of our character this season to some extent.
Yes. Just relax.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: February 27, 2014, 07:26:52 pm »

Absolutely agree.

In fact, out of all the remaining games, it's actually the one I'm least optimistic about.

If we win it, I'll start to believe that the title is on.

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #398 on: February 27, 2014, 07:35:58 pm »
People too worried. We have two top league scorers.
We win by a 3 or higher goal margin.
We are unstoppable when we are up for it and we will be up for it.
Their tactics, pressing is irrelevant.

Offline Ruthless

• Wants to bed Matt Damon
  • Anny Roader
  • So heres to you Jordan Henderson!
« Reply #399 on: February 27, 2014, 07:47:01 pm »
People too worried. We have two top league scorers.
We win by a 3 or higher goal margin.
We are unstoppable when we are up for it and we will be up for it.
Their tactics, pressing is irrelevant.

Mate at home we are the best team in the league by a mile, or at least battling with Manchester City for the top spot.

Our away form is piss poor, Won 5, Lost 4 and Drawn 4 - Look at West Brom, Hull, Swansea, Newcastle - All games we should have won not to mention that we've lost to Southampton two games in a row.
25-05-2005 - We won it for the 5th time, Coincidence? I think not. Oh and the goals? timed 54 mins, 56 mins and 59 Mins, Proof of destiny if you've ever asked for it.