Author Topic: Match Preview - Chelsea v Liverpool, 31 October 12.45  (Read 47611 times)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Match Preview - Chelsea v Liverpool, 31 October 12.45
« on: October 27, 2015, 11:20:06 am »

I was supposed to be a Chelsea supporter. My father was one, and that was because his father had died.

Bear with me. This is a Dickensian story. My grandparents, trying to better themselves, had bought a little house on the London/Essex border. Digging in the garden during a storm my grandfather contracted pneumonia and died. My grandmother lost the house, my father, aged six, was incarcerated in the local orphans’ asylum and my grandmother went into service for a family called the Dugdales. At their house in Chelsea, she cooked, cleaned and made the debutante dress of daughter Rose. I like to think that Rose’s left-wing notoriety – she later became an IRA activist – owed something to my grandmother’s story.

It was visiting his mother during school holidays that made my father a Chelsea supporter and decades later he duly attempted to indoctrinate his kids. He took me to my first match: Chelsea v Liverpool. It was the late 60s or early 70s. The atmosphere around Stamford Bridge was one of threat. I was surprised by the silence. Outside the ground, the only sound from the Chelsea supporters was made by their trudging feet. Inside, they sat glumly while the Liverpool supporters who had infiltrated the stand were vocal, amusing, passionate. We got talking. I was sold, even without the performance on the pitch. This was the era of Smith, Yeats and Hughes, of the majestic Roger Hunt. As I remember it, Hunt scored one of Liverpool’s goals – a screamer from a distance. Tambling pulled one back for the opposition but it never seemed likely they’d get another. The red machine was awe-inspiring.

Back home, I announced I had found my team. My family had loads of Scouse friends, printers who had moved down south and later manned the barricades against Murdoch. I told them I supported Liverpool, expecting a welcome to the ranks. To a man, they were blues. I mean, f*cking hell - you expect your parents to be embarrassing but not to that extent.

My father was concerned. He knew one of the Cobham trainers and they made a last ditch effort to convert me. I, not my brother, was sent to meet Charlie Cooke.  There’s a picture somewhere – him smiling benignly next to this sulky, skinny lad. ‘I support Liverpool,’ I told him. ‘Great team,’ said Charlie.

From all this, you’ll understand why, for this OOT, the matches against Chelsea are the ones that get the adrenalin pumping, the stomach somersaulting. The family bragging rights, the banter, not to mention the high-stakes regularity of recent cup battles - from ‘Luis Garcia, he drinks Sangria’ to Riise’s missing right foot - I’ve crowed or sulked throughout like that kid in the stands. My father was a difficult man to get to know, so football was a connection, and when two years ago he was diagnosed with dementia, it was our single connection as his brain died and he disappeared, replaced by a self-centred, delusional, accusatory doppelganger.

March this year: ‘John Terry’s playing for Liverpool this weekend, Dad.’ A weak smile. He still knew this was banter. ‘Never.’  And then he told me he’d given up watching football because the television had confused the shirts. There was nothing left to talk about. He died not long after, bruised hands plucking at a canula, the eternal skull on a stained hospital pillow.

We know the background to this weekend’s fixture. We know Mourinho is in his cyclical melt-down stage, his gloom and sense of persecution apparently worsened by his own father’s illness, for which I feel sympathy - though I hope I did not behave like such a c*ck to others when my father was dying. We know that Klopp is attempting to transition these Liverpool players from reaction to dynamism, not just on the pitch, not just in the defensive play, but mentally, too. We have no character. We have no Smith or Yeats or Hughes. That for me, is his biggest problem and one he alluded to after the Southampton game, the mental passivity that now seems to be baked in. But there are grounds for optimism. I gathered from the excellent RAWK poster BassTunedToRed that the Shots on Target Ratio is a crucial one. Exploring the stats with him further (this was before last weekend’s fixtures) he tells me:

‘Chelsea's shots on target ratio has plummeted from 63% last season to 43%. In other words, they've gone from having a top three shot profile to that of a team likely to finish around fifteenth (in theory; surely they'll improve?)

‘Liverpool, meanwhile, clock in at 59% in 2015/16, which suggests their underlying performance hasn't been too shabby at all (as teams finishing fourth average 60%), so if Klopp can sharpen the team up a little at both ends then good results should follow soon enough.’

There’s plenty of food for thought for RAWK to discuss and I joined RAWK primarily to learn tactics and methods. But essentially football remains for me a fierce visceral loyalty. Which is why there’s no room for sentimentality, nor even maturity, this weekend. As Tomo! wrote in the Mourinho thread:

‘Hope he gets the sack after playing us and his cock falls off in the shower.’

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 03:49:47 pm by No666 »

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Match Preview - Chelsea v Liverpool, 31 October 12.45
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 11:36:31 am »
A beautiful preview touching on the things that matter. Football is entwined with our lives. Lets have these no marks.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 03:12:42 pm »
Thought provoking read that.

Getting on a bit,  so I can see myself as both the difficult to get to know dad, and the caring son.  Fair play.

Chelsea always a team I dismissed as a cup team when I was growing up, just like United. All money, glamour and glory, who only turned up for the big games, no substance. The way football has gone no real surprise they are two of the 'big' clubs now.

Can't say Chelsea games have particular meaning of themselves for me. For a time they epitomised the Sugar Daddy, money can buy you anything era of football but City have out done them on that score now just re-emphasising the point I guess. Mourinho I can't stand. The entitled, petty nature of his teams leave me cold. Hopefully their struggles continue for a while, whatever is wrong with them I hope it lasts until Christmas and beyond.

Bit odd to see this though when there's a game tomorrow. One step at a time.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 01:06:55 am »
Chelsea. My neighbours. My annoyance. My only joy sometimes during a tough day can be making their day a little harder. The juvenile swearing as they swoon by or the hard laughter at anything John Terry. With Shitcoat at the helm they always are a team not much liked. Some of their fans, well a handful, are ok. The rest I've just never understood

The last time he got sacked he still got a customised Ferrari from Roman. This time he'll be lucky to get a lollipop  :)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 04:10:47 pm »
Another boss preview thanks to No666 and graphics as usual by Titi Camara
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 04:22:16 pm »
Brilliant and poignant preview mate.

Here's hoping for a victory and bringing the Chelsea season crashing down!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 04:30:39 pm »
An excellent piece of emotive writing that shows the real roots of a football supporter!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 04:36:18 pm »
 :'(

Wow, great, great write-up that.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 04:41:40 pm »
Take a bow. A belter of an opening post.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 04:42:32 pm »
Com eon Redmen!

Great OP thanks. If Benteke is fit we have a better striker than them and they have no confidence. Hopeful of three points here!!
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 05:42:15 pm »
A delightful OP to read. Really cuts through the nonsensical hysteria surrounding modern football and presents a humane and down-to-earth view on this fixture. Thanks. :)

I don't want to unecessarily repost something I've posted elsewhere, but I think the fact that Chelsea played a strong side in midweek and we didn't could be an advantage for us, and the post below is probably relevant to this pre-match discussion.

It's pretty epic that we're through to the next round having rested almost our entire likely starting XI for Chelsea, with only two playing more than 25 minutes today:

Mignolet
Clyne(90) Skrtel(60) Sakho Moreno
                Lucas(25)  Can
      Milner   Lallana(5)   Coutinho
                    Benteke

Compare that to Chelsea's likely starting XI:

Begovic (120)
Zouma(120) Terry(120) Cahill(120) Azpilizueta
                   Matic   Fabregas
    Willian(120)  Oscar(120)   Hazard (120)
                Costa(33*)/Remy(87)

Mourinho might want to start Ramires(80), Obi Mikel (120), Baba Rahman(70) who've played decent minutes too, and Ivanovic and Costa are injured as well.

Their only rested players are Matic, Fabregas, Pedro, Azpilizueta, and Falcao, but no matter what, their lineup won't be any where near as fresh as ours.

In other words, Chelsea are pretty ripe for a taxing 90 minutes of gegenpressing :D

** Edit **

Actually, on second thought Chelsea might not be doing too badly personnel wise as Fabregas, Matic, Azpilizueta, and Pedro should come back into the team.

Begovic (120)
Azpilizueta  Terry(120) Cahill(120) Baba(70)
                     Matic   Ramires(80)
             Pedro  Fabregas   Hazard (120)
                            Falcao

Still, not ideal for their ageing defenders to play that much. The loss itself will have been punishing on their morale too.
As others have mentioned I'm highly intrigued by how Klopp will approach this game. Will he want to press Chelsea high and get at them as much as possible, or will he choose a different approach and let Chelsea come to us before hitting them on the break?

The key for our chances of winning may simply be whether or not Benteke is fit. Chelsea's defenders are all bruised and tired from their midweek efforts, and coming up against Benteke will surely challenge their resolve greatly.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 05:44:50 pm »
I was supposed to be a Spurs fan.

Fuck that.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 05:50:05 pm »
Really hope we fucking batter this lot. Hate them.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 06:31:50 pm »
A very poignant and touching read that No666. I was engrossed.

Thank you and well done!
YWNA

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 06:36:41 pm »
i think this will be the match where the lucas leiva we last saw at stamford bridge in november 2011 will return, to devastating effect.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 06:41:31 pm »
I was supposed to be a Spurs fan.

Fuck that.

You're often as miserable as one though. ;)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 06:47:55 pm »
Fantastic read. Let's make history on saturday, please fowler let us beat them! :scarf
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline creed111

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 06:54:04 pm »
i think this will be the match where the lucas leiva we last saw at stamford bridge in november 2011 will return, to devastating effect.

What a month of football for him that was. I'll never forget those performances vs Man City and then Chelsea before tearing his ACL. The side-by-side jostle and sprint with Yaya before eventually robbing him of possession, and in a manner which allowed Lucas to stay upright and turn upfield with the ball to begin our attack had me giddy as a schoolboy on Christmas.
"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

- Tyrion

Offline lfclfclfclfclfc5

• Main Stander
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 06:59:54 pm »
Hope there a bit of " you"ll get the sack in the morning" come 2.30

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 07:11:06 pm »
That's left a bit of a lump in my throat. Wonderfully written piece.  Made me think of my relationship with my own Dad. He was a GAA man but always wanted LFC to win because it would make me happy. I miss him.

Anyhow, this is a very interesting challenge. Two teams packed with talent but struggling with confidence. Sometimes it's easier in these type of matches when you are away from home. I certainly hope it's the case this time.

Thanks for the OP.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 07:20:01 pm »
Great preview. Brought an unexpected lump to the throat.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 07:39:18 pm »
Great OP - made me do a bit of research about Ms Dugdale. I liked all the helping the poor she did, but not the dropping bombs. Thankfully, that era is over.

Hmm, Morinho is an unpleasant figure who has unpleasant teams. I don't dislike him as much as I did 10 years ago during the rivalry with Rafa because I think you just get used to it and don't rise to it, not because he's matured a bit and become less of a tw@ - he hasn't.

He ceaslesly baits other managers and you'd like to think his current problems would teach him a lesson or two, but I don't think they will.

Can you imagine what Wenger would say if Morinho got the sack? Probably nothing, like Rafa did. Jose, learn from them a bit of dignity and respect for your fellow man.

I can see the whole of our side rising to this match. They will really want to win this one and don't have the pressure of everyone expecting them to. I really think, no matter what the result - Chelsea will be feeling T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E at the end of the match. They will be forced to work really hard if they want anything from this game.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline thew

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 08:00:01 pm »
Very touching OP... Beautifully written, thanks. 

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 08:08:00 pm »
Bish Bosh Bish. Let's get Mourinho sacked and Terry crying again.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 08:14:09 pm »
Nice OP mate. 

Lets get the Plastic's Sacking under way

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 08:18:34 pm »
When was the last time we beat Chelsea? I'm guessing the 4-1 in 2012 which they weren't really bothered about? The more impressive performance was the away fixture that season, which again we won. Glen Johnson going solo to get the late winner.

Since that win in 2012, this fixture has provided nothing but heartache and despair for us. We've had several great moments against bitter rivals in the interim period, but Chelsea continually get the better of us. An FA Cup final defeat, a Carling Cup semi-final defeat and a string of league defeats including the obvious one that I suspect none of us will ever get over. Though getting Mourinho sacked would go some way to healing that wound. Going by our recent clashes with Chelsea though, I just can't see us winning this one.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2015, 08:20:58 pm »
replaced by a self-centred, delusional, accusatory doppelganger

I thought Mourinho had made a sudden entrance into to story for a second there.

Jokes aside, a great piece of writing.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2015, 08:25:30 pm »
When was the last time we beat Chelsea? I'm guessing the 4-1 in 2012 which they weren't really bothered about? The more impressive performance was the away fixture that season, which again we won. Glen Johnson going solo to get the late winner.

Since that win in 2012, this fixture has provided nothing but heartache and despair for us. We've had several great moments against bitter rivals in the interim period, but Chelsea continually get the better of us. An FA Cup final defeat, a Carling Cup semi-final defeat and a string of league defeats including the obvious one that I suspect none of us will ever get over. Though getting Mourinho sacked would go some way to healing that wound. Going by our recent clashes with Chelsea though, I just can't see us winning this one.
The most frustrating game there since 2012 was the 2-1 loss in the 2013/14 season when Howard Webb ignored Eto'o's studs up stamp on Henderson plus the stonewall penalty by Eto'o again on Suarez. Despite playing City within a day of that game we put up a great performance and deserved much more. 0 points from City and Chelsea was so unfair, especially considering we had another shocking referee performance against City with THE Sterling offside call.

I'm sure we'll get a performance from our lads, I just hopewe get a good performance from the referees too. A lot of decisions have seemingly gone against Chelsea recently (though most of them have been correct), so I hope the inevitable backlash from those refereeing decisions doesn't occur against us.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2015, 08:31:16 pm »
The most frustrating game there since 2012 was the 2-1 loss in the 2013/14 season when Howard Webb ignored Eto'o's studs up stamp on Henderson plus the stonewall penalty by Eto'o again on Suarez. Despite playing City within a day of that game we put up a great performance and deserved much more. 0 points from City and Chelsea was so unfair, especially considering we had another shocking referee performance against City with THE Sterling offside call.

I'm sure we'll get a performance from our lads, I just hopewe get a good performance from the referees too. A lot of decisions have seemingly gone against Chelsea recently (though most of them have been correct), so I hope the inevitable backlash from those refereeing decisions doesn't occur against us.
I'd forgotten about that game. Absolutely robbed of a win. You can normally point to a deserved Chelsea win in recent seasons, not in that instance though.

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2015, 08:31:39 pm »
As bad as Chelsea have been this season, I am not convinced we have what it takes to beat them down there . Draw at best .....defeat more likely

Offline redjed1

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2015, 08:38:20 pm »
Used to quite like Chelsea in the Charlie Cook / Peter Osgood era, but since they got to be cocky rivals they're almost in the Man U bracket.

I've quite enjoyed our football under Klopp. A bit better at the back and some kind of plan to the way we play. Our only remaining problem is scoring goals, but that will come.

The team more or less picks itself these days. I expect a similar approach to the Spurs game, with a bit more luck up front.

Is Matic banned for this game? If so they may play that young Cheek lad. Just hope they continue playing crap at the back, Hazard remains anonymous and they don't start scoring goals.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2015, 08:40:53 pm »
Great OP - made me do a bit of research about Ms Dugdale. I liked all the helping the poor she did, but not the dropping bombs. Thankfully, that era is over.

Hmm, Morinho is an unpleasant figure who has unpleasant teams. I don't dislike him as much as I did 10 years ago during the rivalry with Rafa because I think you just get used to it and don't rise to it, not because he's matured a bit and become less of a tw@ - he hasn't.

He ceaslesly baits other managers and you'd like to think his current problems would teach him a lesson or two, but I don't think they will.

Can you imagine what Wenger would say if Morinho got the sack? Probably nothing, like Rafa did. Jose, learn from them a bit of dignity and respect for your fellow man.

I can see the whole of our side rising to this match. They will really want to win this one and don't have the pressure of everyone expecting them to. I really think, no matter what the result - Chelsea will be feeling T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E at the end of the match. They will be forced to work really hard if they want anything from this game.
And that's part of their problem currently- they look a tad bit slower than last season and they can be ponderous and clueless. All signs of a team who stormed to a title- BUT with a few aging players and punching a bit above their weight.

We'll battle and press them- hopefully, like a can.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2015, 08:52:05 pm »
Hope we go for the win early in this one. After almost a week from Southampton to recover and train, I expect we'll gegenpress Chelsea for at least 60-70 minutes. The lads are getting better at it by the game, and their fitness levels are improving a lot, so this is the prefect match for it. Chelsea couldn't be much lower on confidence, and I'd like to see how they handle being trapped in their own half for two-thirds of the match. Costa will get sent off if we manage it. ;D 

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 08:56:38 pm »
Hope we go for the win early in this one. After almost a week from Southampton to recover and train, I expect we'll gegenpress Chelsea for at least 60-70 minutes. The lads are getting better at it by the game, and their fitness levels are improving a lot, so this is the prefect match for it. Chelsea couldn't be much lower on confidence, and I'd like to see how they handle being trapped in their own half for two-thirds of the match. Costa will get sent off if we manage it. ;D
Agree. All of our lads except for Clyne and Skrtel got some good rest in midweek so we should be fresh for this one. Our next game after Chelsea is also over 5 days away on the following Thursday so there's no reason not to go all-guns-blazing from the start on Saturday.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 08:57:36 pm »
Oh make no mistake- if we press the midfielders like we did last night(positioning 2[occasionally- 3] of our own between the midfielders and the defense when pressing high)- incl. blocking off passing lanes to and from them and refusing to let the midfielders turn most of the time, Chelsea's in for a rough ride. I can just see the likes of Fabregas not being able to cope physically with his age. I can see Willian/Ramirez losing their heads. Ramirez knows all too well how dominating Lucas can be- having been silenced by Lucas under Rafa, Hodgson and Kenny.

I'm not convinced that we'll see a large scoreline, but even if we draw- we'll have a point more in this fixture than last season.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:03:16 pm by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2015, 09:01:28 pm »
As bad as Chelsea have been this season, I am not convinced we have what it takes to beat them down there . Draw at best .....defeat more likely

I don't know about that mate. The circumstances are very different this time. They're under huge pressure. I think the gegenpress train is going to go in to overdrive. Think Spurs but probably for the entirety of the first half.  The key is to score when we're on top.  I think it'll be a really open game actually. I think Benteke could be a real handful for them. Similar to how he was for Arsenal but we couldn't capitalize on our scoring chances there. If Costa plays we just need to make sure we keep our heads. The players should be reminded of how these c**ts killed off our title hopes at Anfield. Now we break them and get their manager booted.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:03:21 pm by Number 7 »
YWNA

Offline Phil_88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2015, 09:04:29 pm »
Id be tempted to start ibe and firmino down there, after their showing yesterday, hope coutinho can find some much needed form and hopefully benteke is fit

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2015, 09:04:46 pm »
Oh make no mistake- if we press the midfielders like we did last night(positioning 2[occasionally- 3] of our own between the midfielders and the defense when pressing high)- incl. blocking off passing lanes to and from them and refusing to let them turn most of the time, Chelsea's in for a rough ride. I can just see the likes of Fabregas not being able to cope physically with his age. I can see Willian/Ramirez losing their heads. Ramirez knows all too well how dominating Lucas can be- having been silenced by Lucas under Rafa, Hodgson and Kenny.

I'm not convinced that we'll see a large scoreline, but even if we draw- we'll have a point more in this fixture than last season.
Willian played 120 minutes at Stoke on Tuesday so I think it's more likely that Pedro will take his place in the team. Either that or Hazard could be dropped ;D

We actually drew 1-1 there last season, though the game didn't mean anything when it was played in the 36th game week.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2015, 09:06:15 pm »
Willian played 120 minutes at Stoke on Tuesday so I think it's more likely that Pedro will take his place in the team. Either that or Hazard could be dropped ;D

We actually drew 1-1 there last season, though the game didn't mean anything when it was played in the 36th game week.
Hmm.. would be great if Pedro, Terry, Costa, Fabregas all played. They'd be knackered by the 30-regardless of having played on Tuesday or not ;D

That team has a few oldies and we can use that to our advantage- the sprints are not there, the quick reactions have become slower, the turning ain't what it used to be.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:08:35 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2015, 09:06:51 pm »
Let's twat these and help them to get rid of Mourinho.

#JFT97