Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1233359 times)

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #16080 on: April 18, 2024, 02:12:18 pm »

Finished Ripley last night. Hadn't intended to binge it but just got progressively drawn in. It's a slow burn for sure but the tension gets ramped up with each episode. Wonderfully atmospheric in black and white. Well worth a watch I think.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16081 on: April 18, 2024, 03:27:45 pm »
Nearly finished Homecoming series 2, it's really good, not like best of all times tackle but an enjoyable watch like the first season.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #16082 on: April 18, 2024, 04:10:05 pm »
Finished Ripley last night. Hadn't intended to binge it but just got progressively drawn in. It's a slow burn for sure but the tension gets ramped up with each episode. Wonderfully atmospheric in black and white. Well worth a watch I think.

Just finished the episode with the cat, brought bits of much-needed levity to above-referenced tension ramping up.

Really is worth a watch, and found Sting Jr.'s performance to be quire good as well...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16083 on: April 18, 2024, 05:16:15 pm »
Just finished the episode with the cat, brought bits of much-needed levity to above-referenced tension ramping up.

Really is worth a watch, and found Sting Jr.'s performance to be quire good as well...

I had no idea until you posted that the Freddie Miles character was played by Eliot Sumner and the family connection. I had to google it. Yes very good performance and very ambiguous which I guess is what they were after. Cat was the star in that episode though  ;D

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #16084 on: April 19, 2024, 10:53:36 am »
Baby Reindeer was very powerful stuff. Really was.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #16085 on: April 19, 2024, 11:23:59 am »
'Fallout' Renewed For Season 2
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #16086 on: April 19, 2024, 12:41:24 pm »
I had no idea until you posted that the Freddie Miles character was played by Eliot Sumner and the family connection. I had to google it. Yes very good performance and very ambiguous which I guess is what they were after. Cat was the star in that episode though  ;D

Enzo, and his dog also named Enzo...

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #16087 on: April 19, 2024, 05:22:19 pm »
Another shout for Baby Reindeer. It’s a show you’ll enjoy watching , but it is a show you should be watching.

I really like the structure. For the first three episodes, I honestly didn’t have much sympathy for Donnie, particularly how he was treating Teri. But episode four was a real eye opener.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16088 on: April 19, 2024, 06:39:28 pm »
Yep, hopefully people aren't dissuaded by it being in b&w. It was superb, loved it.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16089 on: April 19, 2024, 07:01:00 pm »
Yep, hopefully people aren't dissuaded by it being in b&w. It was superb, loved it.

I guess that’s less of a novelty for you John.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #16090 on: April 20, 2024, 04:27:45 am »
Season 3 of Clarkson's Farm out 3rd May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k9NMbQe0C4
#Sausages

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #16091 on: April 20, 2024, 08:16:04 am »

;D
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16092 on: April 20, 2024, 10:20:57 am »
Ay cheeky arse :D

Online Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16093 on: April 20, 2024, 08:40:46 pm »
'Fallout' Renewed For Season 2

Excellent news!
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16094 on: April 21, 2024, 11:52:37 am »
Another shout for Baby Reindeer. It’s a show you’ll enjoy watching , but it is a show you should be watching.

I really like the structure. For the first three episodes, I honestly didn’t have much sympathy for Donnie, particularly how he was treating Teri. But episode four was a real eye opener.

Would echo that, what a piece of TV. I think most Netflix stuff is incredibly average, with few exceptions, but this was both something I hadn’t seen before and genuinely meaningful.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16095 on: April 21, 2024, 12:01:49 pm »
New series of The Responder coming soon
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16096 on: April 21, 2024, 12:51:58 pm »
New series of The Responder coming soon

I’m not sure it needs another, unless they go the True Detective/Fargo route where every season is a self contained story.  Thought it was a fantastic mini-series.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16097 on: April 21, 2024, 12:55:05 pm »
I’m not sure it needs another, unless they go the True Detective/Fargo route where every season is a self contained story.  Thought it was a fantastic mini-series.

I think it will be  a different story rather than a continuation, looking forward to it regardless, just wished it came out earl;ier when the weather was darker

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #16098 on: April 21, 2024, 02:55:04 pm »
Started Ripley last night, got through the first 3. Really enjoying it. Looks great in 4K black and white. Never seen the film so I don’t know the story which keeps the suspense ramped up
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16099 on: April 21, 2024, 04:24:36 pm »
Started Ripley last night, got through the first 3. Really enjoying it. Looks great in 4K black and white. Never seen the film so I don’t know the story which keeps the suspense ramped up

You should watch the film at some point. The TV show was good, but the film is much better in my opinion.

The TV show is the same story as the film, but I believe there are plans to make more seasons which will obviously go beyond that, aligned to the books.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16100 on: April 21, 2024, 06:35:41 pm »
I actually think the series is better than the film, and I really like the film.  Neither compare to Highsmith’s book which is probably in my top three novels.

Actually, there’s been two film adaptations of ‘The Talented Mr Ripley’.  Purple Noon was the first, great film but strays from the source material a bit.  Minghella wanted Tom Cruise instead of Damon for his film, that would have been interesting.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 06:41:01 pm by Hedley Lamarr »

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #16101 on: April 21, 2024, 07:41:57 pm »
I actually think the series is better than the film, and I really like the film.  Neither compare to Highsmith’s book which is probably in my top three novels.

Actually, there’s been two film adaptations of ‘The Talented Mr Ripley’.  Purple Noon was the first, great film but strays from the source material a bit.  Minghella wanted Tom Cruise instead of Damon for his film, that would have been interesting.

Speedwinging down the stairs in Atrani and such...

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16102 on: April 21, 2024, 10:28:05 pm »
Fallout was great.  Some very good performances  managed to get poignancy from what could have been a zombie show.
Impressive
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16103 on: April 22, 2024, 07:44:01 am »
Binge watched Baby Reindeer over the weekend.

Spoiler
as others have said, very intense watch. I wasn't anticipating where it headed - I thought Donnie was going to be the bad guy and it would be revealed he had manipulated Martha or something.

Looked into the back story of it - didn't know the actor actually had this happen to him. Must have been pretty hard to relive all that.

Think it highlighted how difficult it is to probably stop that sort of stalking from happening as well.

There's people on twitter who seem to have tried to identify the real Martha as well - that seems quite dangerous to me but the woman they've identified has posts from 2014 to the actor talking about curtains...
[close]
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #16104 on: April 22, 2024, 09:17:16 am »
Binge watched Baby Reindeer over the weekend.

Spoiler
as others have said, very intense watch. I wasn't anticipating where it headed - I thought Donnie was going to be the bad guy and it would be revealed he had manipulated Martha or something.

Looked into the back story of it - didn't know the actor actually had this happen to him. Must have been pretty hard to relive all that.

Think it highlighted how difficult it is to probably stop that sort of stalking from happening as well.

There's people on twitter who seem to have tried to identify the real Martha as well - that seems quite dangerous to me but the woman they've identified has posts from 2014 to the actor talking about curtains...
[close]

I also watched this over the weekend. It was gripping, sobering and the acting was brilliant. I can`t quite wrap my head around the fact that the lead actor is also the writer, director and victim (I think anyway based on what I read)
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16105 on: April 22, 2024, 08:58:03 pm »
He’s been very clear that he also thinks the stalker is a victim and wishes her only well. 

Which speaks very highly of him to be honest.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #16106 on: Yesterday at 01:34:11 am »
He’s been very clear that he also thinks the stalker is a victim and wishes her only well. 

Indeed. Also very honest about his own shortcomings in how he dealt with everything.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #16107 on: Yesterday at 08:40:13 am »

Absolutely and that does come across

Spoiler
I liked the very end scene where has effectively come full circle and it makes that very point
[close]
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16108 on: Yesterday at 03:36:19 pm »
Fallout

I liked the games up to and including 4 but wasn't expecting much from this as most IPs (that I'm interested in) of late have been shite (and games typically are anyway, tho there are exceptions)

The positive is that they recreate the Fallout world well visually and in general the feel of that world was okish (tho maybe leaning too much into the humour). The story has the basis to be interesting but the writing's not great and the flow was very bitty for me, so the execution makes it all a bit meh in the end. Performances was much ado about nothing with the exception of Walton Goggins (as Coop), who was excellent.

Overall, it's ok but nothing more than that. Worth a watch? 9 hours of your time but it's in a world less than typical, so maybe just about worth it if you're up for something different. If you're a Fallout fan, I'd recommend giving it a go and see how it falls for you.

haha - I was just wondering if I liked what I have seen so far or not....

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #16109 on: Today at 11:04:02 am »
Fallout was great.  Some very good performances  managed to get poignancy from what could have been a zombie show.
Impressive
My brother put me onto this. Loved it. Goggins is just boss in everything. Didn’t know anything about the game or whatever it is. Obviously seen the image of the cartoon thing but wasn’t aware of anything aboot it. Enjoyed it though and didn’t look into anything beforehand. Watch3d it blind so to speak. Can’t wait for the next season.

Reminded me of Watchmen tv series  cos of all the music they used.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16110 on: Today at 11:11:45 am »
My brother put me onto this. Loved it. Goggins is just boss in everything. Didn’t know anything about the game or whatever it is. Obviously seen the image of the cartoon thing but wasn’t aware of anything aboot it. Enjoyed it though and didn’t look into anything beforehand. Watch3d it blind so to speak. Can’t wait for the next season.

Reminded me of Watchmen tv series  cos of all the music they used.

That Watchmen series is the best superhero show I've ever seen.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #16111 on: Today at 01:10:43 pm »
That Watchmen series is the best superhero show I've ever seen.
Yeah, it’s up there