Author Topic: Preseason 2017  (Read 2540 times)

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Preseason 2017
« on: February 17, 2017, 10:40:56 am »
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-pre-season-china-tour-12616440

Revealed: Liverpool summer tour to take in Far East and Europe
Reds will miss Australia this year as Klopp's influence increases

Liverpool will only play two matches in Asia this summer as part of a shortened pre-season tour.

The Reds will visit Shanghai and Hong Kong in July to take part in the Premier League’s Asia Trophy.

However, unlike 2013 and 2015, a trip to Australia won’t be part of their schedule.

Jurgen Klopp has been heavily involved in the drawing up of plans ahead of the 2017/18 season and didn’t want his players burdened with too much travelling prior to the new campaign.

As a result Liverpool’s stay in the Far East will last just five or six days.

The Reds will also fly to Europe for a week-long training camp. Various options are being explored but Germany is the most likely destination.

The fact that Liverpool’s 2017 tour will be so short is a sign of the influence Klopp has across the board, especially considering that another trip Down Under or a third stop off in Asia would have been highly lucrative.

Last year the Reds spent 12 days in America where they played three matches in Pasadena, Santa Clara and St Louis.

In 2015 Liverpool played four games in Bangkok, Brisbane, Adelaide and Kuala Lumpur during a fortnight-long tour.

When the Reds fly off in July it will be the club’s first trip to Hong Kong since 2007 when Rafa Benitez’s side faced Portsmouth and South China.

Their last visit to China was in 2011 when Kenny Dalglish’s men beat Guandgdong Sunray Cave 4-3 in Guangzhou.

The Asia Trophy is set to involve three Premier League clubs as well as Hong Kong’s domestic champions and Chinese Super League side Shanghai SIPG with Klopp’s side topping the bill.

The schedule has yet to be confirmed but matches are expected to take place on July 20 and July 22.

Klopp confirmed to the ECHO back in December that Liverpool would tour the Far East this summer.

“The target of a camp is always that you go there in one shape and you come back in a better shape. You go there as a good team and you come back as a better team,” Klopp said.

“There are also a lot of Liverpool fans in the USA so it made sense that we went there. Like it makes sense that in 2017 we go to Asia. I have no problem with this.”

Liverpool legends Jason McAteer, Luis Garcia, Patrik Berger, Sami Hyypia and Vladimir Smicer are flying to Hong Kong next month to meet supporters as part of a four-day LFC World event.

Really good news that it seems Klopp's influence is growing and we as a club are prepared to lose out commercially in favour of what the manager wants to do to help the team get ready for the new season.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
Re: Preseason 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 11:55:31 am »
I like the idea of using our legends (and McAteer) to keep the club in the public eye around the world. I'm sure there are plenty of fans in their mid-20's and early 30's who love Luis Garcia and Sami Hyypia just as much as they do Emre Can and Dejan Lovren.

Goo move by Klopp and hopefully it's going to mean it is easier for the £150 million of world class signings we make in the summer to gel quickly with the team.

Talking of which perhaps this also shows that Klopp really does have first and last say over players, cutting short far east tours and going to Germany means he can be close by to speak to all those Bundesliga players he wants to sign.......
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 12:06:02 pm »
Shanghai is tempting but last time I tried the visa process was an absolute fucking pain in the arse and I gave up!  ;D

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 12:45:23 pm »
I like the idea of using our legends (and McAteer) to keep the club in the public eye around the world. I'm sure there are plenty of fans in their mid-20's and early 30's who love Luis Garcia and Sami Hyypia just as much as they do Emre Can and Dejan Lovren.

Goo move by Klopp and hopefully it's going to mean it is easier for the £150 million of world class signings we make in the summer to gel quickly with the team.

Talking of which perhaps this also shows that Klopp really does have first and last say over players, cutting short far east tours and going to Germany means he can be close by to speak to all those Bundesliga players he wants to sign.......

Any man who is completing a mortgage application and when asked the question "position" who asks his mate whether he is midfielder or a wing back is a legend in my eyes !
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 12:57:29 pm »

;D 26 year old here.. Love Hyypia and Luis a lot more than Lovren and Can.

Offline Paisley79

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 01:38:45 pm »
Any man who is completing a mortgage application and when asked the question "position" who asks his mate whether he is midfielder or a wing back is a legend in my eyes !

That's a great story, as is the one where the waiter asked him if he wanted his pizza cut into 4 sections or 8. McAteer said he'd better have 4 cos he wouldn't manage 8  :lmao

Having said that, he is the master of stating-the-bleeding-obvious on LFCTV

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 01:40:18 pm »
Guandgdong Sunray Cave

I hope we get taken over by Chinese owners just so we can rebranded to some awesome name like this
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 05:21:37 pm »
Quilt
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 05:34:17 pm »
That's a great story, as is the one where the waiter asked him if he wanted his pizza cut into 4 sections or 8. McAteer said he'd better have 4 cos he wouldn't manage 8  :lmao

Having said that, he is the master of stating-the-bleeding-obvious on LFCTV

There's also the stories about shouting '180' to Jimmy White in a pub in Dublin and how his mate told him to go get a coat hanger to pick the lock of his car after locking himself out, he returned with a wooden one :D

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 05:45:32 pm »
Would rather they focussed the pre season on pure performance rather than where we have fans, but hey ho.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 08:18:08 pm »
Would rather they focussed the pre season on pure performance rather than where we have fans, but hey ho.

It's a couple of games in July and much less travelling needed than in previous summers, so it's an improvement.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 08:40:32 pm »
Hope there's a match in Kuala Lumpur next Summer as I'll be there round that time. Would love another Wembley day out doubt it'll happen. LFC V Barcelona would've been at Anfield if it wasn't under renovations.