Author Topic: Ian Ayre to leave the club end of this month (Feb 2017)  (Read 4956 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Ian Ayre to leave the club end of this month (Feb 2017)
« on: February 3, 2017, 09:19:48 am »
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/253104-ian-ayre-set-to-leave-lfc-at-end-of-february

not sure there is a thread for this so here we go. (if there is then just delete this)

Ian Ayre set to leave LFC at end of February
LFC

Ian Ayre is set to leave Liverpool FC at the end of February following a successful 10-year tenure at the club.

In March 2016, Ayre announced his plans to leave LFC and he has since played a pivotal role in completing a 10-month transition plan to put a robust structure and operating framework in place that will ensure continued stability across the club and pave the way for the new CEO, who is expected to join in the summer.

During his 10 years at Liverpool, Ayre has transformed and modernised the club, leading a complete overhaul of Liverpool’s financial, commercial and operational structure. He was instrumental in masterminding the successful exit of the previous owners and brought much-needed stability right across the club following the Fenway Sports Group takeover in 2010.

In the same year, Ayre secured the shirt sponsorship deal with Standard Chartered Bank - believed to be one of the most lucrative shirt sponsorship deals in football - and significantly increased commercial revenues for reinvestment into the team. More recently, he played a pivotal and crucial role in not only the redevelopment of the Main Stand but also the wider regeneration of the Anfield area. 

Ayre will leave LFC at the end of the month to join TSV 1860 Munich at a date to be confirmed.

Earlier this season, changes were made to the football structure of the club, with Liverpool's owners moving to significantly extend the contract of manager Jürgen Klopp and promoting Michael Edwards to the role of sporting director. As part of this plan, Academy director Alex Inglethorpe also agreed to extend his contract, keeping him at the club for the long term. 

Also last year, and as part of this structured transition period, FSG promoted Billy Hogan and Andy Hughes to take on more of the off-pitch responsibilities. Hogan, previously chief commercial officer, now also assumes the title of managing director and has seen his portfolio increase to include management of the club's marketing and digital media departments. Hughes, previously chief financial officer and now chief operating officer, will lead all of the club’s operational matters as well as maintaining responsibility for finance operations.

Speaking on behalf of Fenway Sports Group principal owner John W Henry and chairman Tom Werner, FSG president Mike Gordon said: “Although this transition has been nearly a year in the making, today is still a difficult day - we are officially saying goodbye to Ian.

“On behalf of John and Tom, I would like to place on record the outstanding contribution Ian has made to Liverpool Football Club over the past 10 years. It goes without saying that his leadership of LFC has been instrumental to the club’s progress under our ownership. It is a measure of his character and his commitment to LFC that we have been able to collectively plan and execute such a gradual, natural transition. On both a professional and personal level, he will be missed.

“Over the past year, we made a number of changes to our management structure by promoting several of our top employees to more senior positions in recognition of their exceptional service to LFC. Though some of these changes are already public, today we are formally announcing the promotion of Billy Hogan to managing director and chief commercial officer, and Andy Hughes to chief operating officer. The promotions are a reflection of their first-rate performance as executives and carry additions to their respective roles and responsibilities. These changes have already ushered in improvements to the club’s operations and they will also serve to ensure management stability during the transition to new executive leadership.

“The last step remaining is to conclude the process of identifying and hiring a successor to Ian. We are very pleased with the search progress and fully expect to have our new CEO in position by our original deadline of the summer of 2017. We are quite confident that LFC will have the right structure and the best people operating within that structure to fulfil the lofty ambitions of LFC and its supporters.”

Chief executive officer, Ayre, added: “There is no greater professional satisfaction for me than to leave Liverpool Football Club in much improved health throughout than when I joined the club in 2007.

“This has always been more than just a job for me because of the emotional connection I have with the place. So, the only yardstick that has ever mattered, for every decision I have taken here, is whether or not it is in the best interests of Liverpool Football Club.

“My journey here over the last decade has been a rich mix of challenges and opportunities, a journey only made possible by the outstanding people I have had the honour to work with along the way both inside and outside the club. As the club transitions to its next chapter, I made clear some time back that I felt that 2017 was the right time to step aside. As the club’s new structure starts to unfold, this is a natural point for me to say goodbye to the role of chief executive and to many friends, but my love and support for this great football club will continue as it has my whole life.”

Liverpool will announce the new chief executive officer in due course
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Ian Ayre to leave the club end of this month (Feb 2017)
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2017, 09:27:33 am »
6 years too late. He should have gone with Comolli with someone who knows football brought in, particularly over transfers.

It's all well and good talking about all this progress but the club is an also ran and won one League Cup over the decade Ayre has been here. Liverpool FC exists  to win trophies.

They talk about Ayre's role in transfers yet nearly every summer window has been a failure. They talk about sorting the ground out, yet we've got one rebuilt stand and a capacity capped at a disappointing 54k.

Ayre has helped with the commercial side which has helped the club's income grow and that's a positive. He's also been in charge for many omni-shambles including the Suarez racism case, the ticket fiasco of last season and the problems with the transfer committee and Rodgers.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2017, 09:39:35 am »
Thanks for your efforts Ian, best of luck in your future endeavours.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2017, 09:40:07 am »
With his work in the January transfer window completed, it is understandable that he would want to leave on a high.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2017, 09:43:44 am »

not really sure about including suarez in that. though the club constantly put their foot in it over that.

i agree with the rest of your post, i think he should have stuck to the commercial side of things.

"It's all well and good talking about all this progress but the club is an also ran and won one League Cup over the decade Ayre has been here. Liverpool FC exists  to win trophies." when i read the statement on the official site i pretty much thought the same thing.

With his work in the January transfer window completed, it is understandable that he would want to leave on a high.

lol

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #5 on: February 3, 2017, 09:48:39 am »
We've finished outside the top 5 in 6 of the last 7 seasons and won a poxy league cup, yet Ayre has achieved "everything he wanted to" Says it all. He should never have had anything to do with the football side of things.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 3, 2017, 09:54:54 am »
i agree with the rest of your post, i think he should have stuck to the commercial side of things.

He should never have had a brief beyond the commercial side, that's the problem and that's down to FSG.

For Ayre's efforts on the commercial side of things I thank for his efforts. Beyond that though he hasn't been good at all for us.

He was a failure at Huddersfield with a wide brief and he was a failure here. At least Huddersfield had the sense to get rid. He's leaving for a struggling club in the German second tier.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2017, 09:57:00 am by Bitter Mug »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7 on: February 3, 2017, 09:56:11 am »
Legend

If we ever build a new stadium, he should have a stand named after him.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 3, 2017, 09:57:51 am »
We've finished outside the top 5 in 6 of the last 7 seasons and won a poxy league cup, yet Ayre has achieved "everything he wanted to" Says it all. He should never have had anything to do with the football side of things.

If his role stayed how it was to begin with he did well, but as it changed then this statement is ridiculous.

Did well commercially. Did nothing other than that.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2017, 09:59:24 am by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #9 on: February 3, 2017, 09:58:15 am »
Many Chiefs, too few Indians.

::)
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 3, 2017, 09:58:55 am »

Says it all about what's happened to the club in the 10 years he's been here.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 3, 2017, 09:59:09 am »
I can see the argument that Ayre was not the best at the footy side. He has done a bloody good job on the commercial side though and I will always be grateful for that.

To be fair to him, it is not his fault he was given footy stuff to do too. He had an unusually broad remit. looks as if the club is finally dividing responsibilities properly.

I wish him well.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 3, 2017, 10:00:27 am »
I can see the argument that Ayre was not the best at the footy side. He has done a bloody good job on the commercial side though and I will always be grateful for that.

To be fair to him, it is not his fault he was given footy stuff to do too. He had an unusually broad remit. looks as if the club is finally dividing responsibilities properly.

I wish him well.

How wasn't it his fault. He took the job on and got well paid for it... Not like it was forced on him.mate

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 3, 2017, 10:03:37 am »
not really sure about including suarez in that. though the club constantly put their foot in it over that.

He was the man in charge, it needed leadership to deal with.  It took Boston to come over and deal with it directly after the damage had already been done. Same thing whenever anything went wrong which was too often. Remember 'the cups don't matter' interview when he was wheeled out to explain Kenny's sacking.

It's not really Ayre's fault that he was no leader and a rabbit in the headlights beyond the commercial side. He should never have had any responsibilities beyond commercial operations. His legacy is being the man in charge for a lost decade at LFC.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2017, 10:07:31 am by Bitter Mug »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 3, 2017, 10:09:28 am »
He was the man in charge, it needed leadership to deal with.  It took Boston to come over and deal with it directly after the damage had already been done. Same thing whenever anything went wrong which was too often. Remember 'the cups don't matter' interview when he was wheeled out to explain Kenny's sacking.

It's not really Ayre's fault that he was no leader and a rabbit in the headlights beyond the commercial side. He should never have had any responsibilities beyond commercial operations. His legacy is being the man in charge for a lost decade at LFC.
a lot of people didnt cover themselves in glory over that.

i dont know the cups dont matter interview but i dont doubt you.

im interested to see who replaces ayre

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 3, 2017, 10:17:02 am »
Am slightly ambivalent towards him, think I'll remember him for sitting on Robbie's shoulders more than anything else

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #16 on: February 3, 2017, 10:19:47 am »
Can't make the leaving party,apologies.  :-\

Spunked £35m on a crocked Andy Carroll..who does that & keeps their job?!!
Really don't get how he survived this long.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 3, 2017, 10:21:35 am »

i think comolli and kenny had a bit more to do with that than Ayre.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 3, 2017, 10:23:27 am »

I'm quite sure he done some good also.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19 on: February 3, 2017, 10:29:18 am »
6 years too late. He should have gone with Comolli with someone who knows football brought in, particularly over transfers.

It's all well and good talking about all this progress but the club is an also ran and won one League Cup over the decade Ayre has been here. Liverpool FC exists  to win trophies.

They talk about Ayre's role in transfers yet nearly every summer window has been a failure. They talk about sorting the ground out, yet we've got one rebuilt stand and a capacity capped at a disappointing 54k.

Ayre has helped with the commercial side which has helped the club's income grow and that's a positive. He's also been in charge for many omni-shambles including the Suarez racism case, the ticket fiasco of last season and the problems with the transfer committee and Rodgers.

This sounds damning of the ownership rather than Ayre to be honest.

He'd have done much better on the transfer side if he wasnt handcuffed by restrictions in our recruitment policy.

He'd have rebuit the Annie Rd end if FSG didnt decide it wasnt worth the outlay.

And im fairly certain it wasnt Ayre pushing for a committee set up in regards to transfers.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 3, 2017, 10:43:53 am »
How wasn't it his fault. He took the job on and got well paid for it... Not like it was forced on him.mate

What I mean is that he doesn't decide his own areas of responsibility - the owners do.

If he was not the best man for negotiating transfers the owners should have fired him / hired someone else to do that bit.

It is unusual for one man to be doing so much at a massive business like LFC.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #21 on: February 3, 2017, 10:49:07 am »
i think comolli and kenny had a bit more to do with that than Ayre.

Its was price,wages & contract..and the whole dealing with newcastle was a farce.
We became a laughing stock.

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #22 on: February 3, 2017, 10:51:15 am »
The best thing we can all do here is say good luck Ian, as he is on his way out the door. What we all need to do now is concentrate on the new appointment and be vocal through the representation we have with the club on things we think his replacement needs to have on his agenda. someone with a bit of muscle in the football world, big enough to say to Jurgen, 'lets not be too puritanical in our approach, lets spend when its needed', and be heard by him, stuff like that.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Online DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 3, 2017, 10:57:38 am »
If he's responsible for bringing more income to the club, he's equally as responsible for spunking it through many, many transfer windows.

He got too big for his boots and some of his actions and sniping in the last couple of years, especially the whole ticket pricing ordeal, was a disgrace.

I know partnerships are an important part of the modern game, but there's nothing that FUCKS me off more after a bad result than seeing Adam Lallana rubbing Nivea moisturiser all over his face. Or Sturridge ordering a subway with "extra green peppa's puhlease".

Anyone know anything about his replacement?

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 3, 2017, 11:00:19 am »
What I mean is that he doesn't decide his own areas of responsibility - the owners do.

If he was not the best man for negotiating transfers the owners should have fired him / hired someone else to do that bit.

It is unusual for one man to be doing so much at a massive business like LFC.

Maybe so, either way Michael Edwards is now in charge of that side. Another man with no experience, which worries me.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #25 on: February 3, 2017, 11:03:07 am »
We've finished outside the top 5 in 6 of the last 7 seasons

Chelsea and Man City have sugar daddies who have bank rolled them with millions. Arsenal have the most consistent top 4 record in the league. Spurs (although they hardly ever get credit on this forum) have been steadily building under Pochettino. And the red mancs, who despite their recent fall from grace, still have significant financial muscle.

I share your frustrations in terms of our league finishes. But trotting out stats like you've just done is a slight over-simplification. It's not like the top 5 has just been standing still and waiting for us to catch up so we can slot ourselves into the mix. The competition for those places is arguably more competitive now than it has ever been in the modern era. A factor which I think your post slightly fails to account for

I'm not saying Ayre was great, but I'm not going to go wading in on him like he was some sort incompetent fuck-wit either. I'm sure he did plenty of things behind the scenes (that we don't even know about) that benefited the club greatly.
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #26 on: February 3, 2017, 11:14:43 am »

Yes but I rather the think the fact that we've had three managers in seven years have contributed to how we have finished in the league. You cannot have that many managers, and there not be consequences. You need to get the right manager in give him time and stability to turn it around. We have the right man now and providing people stay patient he will get us to where we need to be.

"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 3, 2017, 11:17:24 am »
Good luck Ian.

I'm going to miss the Harley riding buffoon.  :wave :(

Offline Steady Eddie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: February 3, 2017, 11:18:51 am »
Chelsea and Man City have sugar daddies who have bank rolled them with millions. Arsenal have the most consistent top 4 record in the league. Spurs (although they hardly ever get credit on this forum) have been steadily building under Pochettino. And the red mancs, who despite their recent fall from grace, still have significant financial muscle.

I share your frustrations in terms of our league finishes. But trotting out stats like you've just done is a slight over-simplification. It's not like the top 5 has just been standing still and waiting for us to catch up so we can slot ourselves into the mix. The competition for those places is arguably more competitive now than it has ever been in the modern era. A factor which I think your post slightly fails to account for

I'm not saying Ayre was great, but I'm not going to go wading in on him like he was some sort incompetent fuck-wit either. I'm sure he did plenty of things behind the scenes (that we don't even know about) that benefited the club greatly.

Yet when he arrived we were in that top four and officially the best club in Europe - he's fallen somewhat since then wouldn't you say?

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #29 on: February 3, 2017, 11:19:14 am »
"Thanks" I guess Ian, but this news made me smile  8)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 3, 2017, 11:28:19 am »
Yet when he arrived we were in that top four and officially the best club in Europe - he's fallen somewhat since then wouldn't you say?
was that not more to do with Hicks and Gillett?

foolish to blame him on that. equally its quite foolish for him to say how far the club has come in his tenure when we have won ONE trophy since 2006

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 3, 2017, 11:41:30 am »
Who knew we had so many experts here on RAWK on running and modernising complex multi-million pound businesses that must also try to live up to over a hundred years of history while competing at the very top level of sport, without betraying the hard-core fans, or the economically deprived region that is its home.

Christ. Should have hired you lot, shouldn't we? What mugs FSG are! Paying Ayre millions when they could have just asked on RAWK.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 3, 2017, 11:45:21 am »
Who knew we had so many experts here on RAWK on running and modernising complex multi-million pound businesses that must also try to live up to over a hundred years of history while competing at the very top level of sport, without betraying the hard-core fans, or the economically deprived region that is its home.

Christ. Should have hired you lot, shouldn't we? What mugs FSG are! Paying Ayre millions when they could have just asked on RAWK.

I say we give Bittter Mug the job. The lad seems like an expert on all things it seems.

Offline Gmol

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: February 3, 2017, 11:48:41 am »
I think he did a pretty good job, we were slowly imploding with the other 2, success hasn't been great on the pitch which is not really his responsibility, but we have a better structure off it and the stadium expansion has been pretty successful so far
I wish him well

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #34 on: February 3, 2017, 11:50:07 am »

;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 3, 2017, 11:51:22 am »
Scratch that  first option, have a better one.

Al and Bitter Mug in a Co- CEO role.

Offline Klippity

• Kemlynite
« Reply #36 on: February 3, 2017, 11:51:42 am »
I think he did a pretty good job, we were slowly imploding with the other 2, success hasn't been great on the pitch which is not really his responsibility, but we have a better structure off it and the stadium expansion has been pretty successful so far
I wish him well

wish him well to as with anyone who has had a long association with the club.

Still not sure what his exact role or overall responsibilities were, but if it was mainly the commercial side then over the last few years there has been a marked improvement

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #37 on: February 3, 2017, 11:59:38 am »
Wish him all the best and not sure why some are giving him such a hard time - I am sure he did a good a job as was possible and had the best interests of the club at heart.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 3, 2017, 12:06:14 pm »
Hopefully we go back to Southampton and get Cortese. Hopefully not another American puppet of fsg who knows nothing about football.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #39 on: February 3, 2017, 12:10:36 pm »
Good luck to him.

Am I wrong in thinking this recent restructure will see a more sharphish divide between the football side and the financial side of things within the club?