Author Topic: Ever the Optimist.  (Read 57587 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Re: Ever the Optimist.
« Reply #40 on: January 2, 2017, 09:46:19 pm »
I'm just enjoying the season. The football's been very good. Klopp is super. We're doing more than alright in the league. Game at a time and see what the points total is after 38 games. Seems soft to be so angsty about results of other teams that you can't enjoy what Klopp's doing with us, or even worse can't really get behind it.

This this and more of this. It's the motto everyone should have.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #41 on: January 2, 2017, 10:22:12 pm »
2.2 points per game after 20 games, putting us in track for mid-eighties. A huge improvement!
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #42 on: January 2, 2017, 10:30:57 pm »
If Spurs can win tomorrow (and I realise that's a big if) then we will have closed the gap at top. Fuck what's behind us.

Undefeated at home in almost a year, only 2 defeats all season and you can count the number of below par performances on one hand.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #43 on: January 2, 2017, 10:31:46 pm »
If Spurs can win tomorrow (and I realise that's a big if) then we will have closed the gap at top. Fuck what's behind us.

Wednesday mate.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 2, 2017, 10:33:18 pm »
Wednesday mate.
Apologies I'm still in the "what fucking day is it?" Christmas mode. Thought today was Tuesday!

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 2, 2017, 10:41:47 pm »
2.2 points per game so far, 10 homes and 8 aways remaining.  Keep up 2.2 per game we finish on 83 or 84 points.   Massive improvement regardless of where we finish. 
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline jacdaniel

• "I don't care if people think I am a bed wetter".
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: January 2, 2017, 10:50:30 pm »
Its a really strange season to be honest.  I think we are doing very well but its somewhat clouded by how well all of our rivals are doing.
Other seasons, we might well be top of the league with our current points.
But the harsh reality is, if we were to lose at Old Trafford, we could amazingly find ourselves outside the top 4 and just 2 points ahead of United.  :( 

I keep thinking other teams will drop points against smaller clubs but it doesnt seem to be happening lately.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 2, 2017, 11:07:06 pm »
Its a really strange season to be honest.  I think we are doing very well but its somewhat clouded by how well all of our rivals are doing.
Other seasons, we might well be top of the league with our current points.
But the harsh reality is, if we were to lose at Old Trafford, we could amazingly find ourselves outside the top 4 and just 2 points ahead of United.  :( 

I keep thinking other teams will drop points against smaller clubs but it doesnt seem to be happening lately.

Don't mention OT!  Next league game and gut already churning!
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 2, 2017, 11:38:44 pm »
But if the worst happens we twat Swansea in retaliation and then bring ourselves right back into the reckoning by twatting Chelsea.

Relax.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 3, 2017, 12:52:06 am »
Right. We can still win the league though we've made it much harder for ourselves by blowing a massive opportunity. That said, it must have the motivation going through the roof for the next league game. Which is exactly what we need as we're playing the Mancs who are on a decent run themselves. That was a game where a draw would have been a decent result. But now we need to win and I really hope we do win. Hopefully Matip, Hendo and our main man, Coutinho are back. Matip will shore up the back and Phil hopefully brings the cutting edge. A little break for the likes of Firmino and Sturridge would be good too. On the whole, there's still much to do, but again, we just need to win every game in hand until we get to the Chelsea game. Hopefully, we're only 3 points behind them at most when that game comes around. That's the key game for us.   
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 3, 2017, 01:37:13 am »
In 13/14 we were 8 points off the top after 24 games played, the fact is though that none of the sides in the league that season looked as scary as this Chelsea team.

I will start becoming optimistic about us winning the league, until Chelsea starting playing at a normal level rather than a superhuman one.

I see us finishing 2nd 5 or 6 points behind Chelsea come the end of the season, that would be a very good season and hopefully we also add the league cup to that.

Klopp's in charge and I wouldn't have anyone else, one day he will lead us to the promise land and if he doesn't then I don't believe anyone will. 
« Last Edit: January 3, 2017, 03:03:44 pm by Greatness »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #51 on: January 3, 2017, 01:53:06 pm »
We have to stop going on about Chelsea, Man Utd etc and just concentrate on our ourselves. We cannot influence any of our rival's games, so why do people put themesleves through it? Less negative energy and more positive, and drive our players onwards. We do not give up until its impossible. I don't doubt Klopp for one minute, the guy has achieved so much for us already. We will only get better and better.  :wave
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 3, 2017, 02:59:39 pm »
Fuck everybody else, we will finish top.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 3, 2017, 03:00:21 pm »
Mourinho said they would win five in a row at some point, and they have (going from sixth to sixth!) But five is where it stops, we are going to give them a right hiding.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 3, 2017, 04:27:50 pm »
I'm just enjoying the season. The football's been very good. Klopp is super. We're doing more than alright in the league. Game at a time and see what the points total is after 38 games. Seems soft to be so angsty about results of other teams that you can't enjoy what Klopp's doing with us, or even worse can't really get behind it.
This
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 3, 2017, 05:08:27 pm »
When European football starts back up again next month, that's when we'll break away again. Especially for United playing on Thursday nights (just a shame they're not further away than St Etienne  :()

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #56 on: January 3, 2017, 05:09:23 pm »
que sera sera.. Who gives a flying fu*k what other teams do. We are the mighty reds that is all that matters!

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 3, 2017, 05:11:31 pm »
When European football starts back up again next month, that's when we'll break away again. Especially for United playing on Thursday nights (just a shame they're not further away than St Etienne  :()
It'll still have an effect on them, though.

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 3, 2017, 05:17:49 pm »
It'll still have an effect on them, though.

Oh without a doubt.

They're away at City the Sunday after the 2nd leg, UNLUCKEEE.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 3, 2017, 05:18:57 pm »
The only reason to be disappointed with the points we've dropped is that our hopes and expectations have been raised by being up around the top of the table all season.

We've still a hell of a lot to play for over the next 5 months, things can change on a weekly basis and by the end of this month we could be back on top.  Sure we could be out of the CL places too but why get stressed about stuff that hasn't happened yet.

Forget yesterday, look forward to the weekend and Plymouth, you'll feel better for it  ;)

Offline noneoftheabove

• Main Stander
« Reply #60 on: January 4, 2017, 04:12:04 pm »
The only reason to be disappointed with the points we've dropped is that our hopes and expectations have been raised by being up around the top of the table all season.

We've still a hell of a lot to play for over the next 5 months, things can change on a weekly basis and by the end of this month we could be back on top.  Sure we could be out of the CL places too but why get stressed about stuff that hasn't happened yet.

Forget yesterday, look forward to the weekend and Plymouth, you'll feel better for it  ;)

Well said. Sensible points.

Offline invader_gir

• Anny Roader
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #61 on: January 4, 2017, 09:12:17 pm »
2:0 spurs ohwelllwellwelllll

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #62 on: January 4, 2017, 09:16:08 pm »
Still early in the second half..... but just makes me even more annoyed about Thr Sunderland result!!!! And the fact we didn't just buy Liverpool supporting Alli

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 4, 2017, 09:25:38 pm »
Still early in the second half..... but just makes me even more annoyed about Thr Sunderland result!!!! And the fact we didn't just buy Liverpool supporting Alli

Either way we would be mad about the Sunderland result! Our "ifs" and "buts" could extend to any match we dropped points in this season. It's much better to be pissed off and still right in the title race than pissed off and 9 points adrift (should Spurs hold on).

The would-be crash to Chelsea's momentum is long-term much more important than the immediate points they might drop tonight. With their indefinite run of wins (13 currently), they look and feel unbeatable. If Spurs hold on they snap that rhythm
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #64 on: January 4, 2017, 09:28:07 pm »

Never been happier to see Spuds lead by 2 :)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 6, 2017, 05:27:22 am »
I think we're the only team that hasn't quite hit top gear for an extended period of the season as yet. We haven't put together a 6/7/8/9 game winning run as yet unlike Chelsea, Spurs, Man Utd, Man City, and Arsenal. That said, I do expect us to do that at some point this season and given it hasn't happened so far, I think we might do that between February and April by my estimation. In other words, we're still in with a very good shot at the league title. Particularly, given Coutinho and Matip are nearly back, I think that'll give us some added strings that could help us get over the line. Really looking forward to it now.

Edit: Guess I misremembered the fixture list. Looks like we're nearly clear of tough fixtures after City away on the 19th of March.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2017, 05:29:16 am by jooneyisdagloomy »

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #66 on: January 6, 2017, 03:06:51 pm »

Timing couldn't have been better for the return of our best and most important player.

My optimism just elevated dramatically!
« Last Edit: January 6, 2017, 03:08:29 pm by SerbianScouser »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 6, 2017, 03:32:05 pm »
I think we're the only team that hasn't quite hit top gear for an extended period of the season as yet. We haven't put together a 6/7/8/9 game winning run as yet unlike Chelsea, Spurs, Man Utd, Man City, and Arsenal. That said, I do expect us to do that at some point this season and given it hasn't happened so far, I think we might do that between February and April by my estimation. In other words, we're still in with a very good shot at the league title. Particularly, given Coutinho and Matip are nearly back, I think that'll give us some added strings that could help us get over the line. Really looking forward to it now.

Edit: Guess I misremembered the fixture list. Looks like we're nearly clear of tough fixtures after City away on the 19th of March.
Our last nine games are really nice for a title run in, and would be a great time for a winning streak.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #68 on: January 6, 2017, 04:01:03 pm »
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same number of points in the second half of the season as the first (*) , so 86 points? Reckon that will give us top 4 and hopefully a bit more than that!

(* - be interesting to see how much the final table looks to the half way point over previous years, have no idea if it's easy to get the half way point totals!)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: January 7, 2017, 03:33:40 am »
Our last nine games are really nice for a title run in, and would be a great time for a winning streak.

Don't get me too excited mate. ;D

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2017, 02:11:07 pm »
Listen to our leader. If he can give us fans confidence, imagine what he can do to the players. I am up for it! We'll get something out of this match ...

On United current form
"In all the games they won until they played us, they didn't play against us again, so what can I say? They were different kind of games, some very good games, some had the result they expected, in other games they had a little bit of luck, goals in the right moment. They deserve their run, I know that, but we always expect the players in the best shape and then we start defending them, that's how it is, and it should be more difficult than against all other teams. That's our plan"

On the importance of the game…
"It's important, we cannot ignore this, but the season doesn't end after it, that's another truth. If you want, United, Everton, these games are always important either way - you can be 10th and they can be first, or they are 15th and we are first and makes no difference for the game. It's very important and we know about this, but of course if we could win there it would be nice, actually, but then the next challenge is then already clear"

On our current form
“I can hear it in your questions and I’ve heard it when I’ve spoken to other people, because of our last game it’s a little bit ‘Oh my God… and now Manchester United’ and all that stuff. But give me 11 players and we will be competitive.
That’s the plan and these are not just some players - they are my players and we already know a lot about each other and I know how they react to not-that-good performances. That doesn’t make us weaker, it should make us stronger than the last game for this game and be ready for it.
It’s not about being confident before the game, it’s about getting confidence in the game with the right movements, the right kind of defending and the right kind of causing them problems"

“There is nothing to fear. What could I fear? At this moment, anything is possible. It could be that United are not at their best level on Sunday, just nobody knows about it yet. I don’t fear things like this. I’ve had enough time in the game to realise what happens. At this moment I’m 100% positive, absolutely looking forward to the game"

" We go there and we will line up for this and be really ready for the challenge and we'll try everything to make the difference on the good side"

"We will realise earlier before the game that we are Liverpool, so let’s show this"

Only reading these quotes now. You'd follow this man in to battle and I'm sure that's exactly what the players will be doing today. It's understandable to have a few nerves in the days before a game like this but on gameday those nerves turn to excitement. Can't wait for this game, biggest game of the season so far, it's a testament to how good we are doing that said phrase is being used often. We go to there place with no fear, we are better than them and on the way up while they're in a steady decline. Expecting great things from the lads and I'm going to give them more than 45 minutes to do it. Even if we aren't at our majestic best we should concentrate on supporting the team instead of bemoaning the play. You can win ugly and if that's what it takes with a goal off Nathaniel Clyne's back in the 89th minute even sweeter.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:41:41 pm by Red85 »
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2017, 02:25:19 pm »
I meant to comment on Klopp's interview yesterday, brilliant intereview. Whatever happens today with this man, we will be on the road to glory.  :scarf
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2017, 02:36:50 pm »
I meant to comment on Klopp's interview yesterday, brilliant intereview. Whatever happens today with this man, we will be on the road to glory.  :scarf

100% agree  :D

I was dreading this game and what could go wrong, but he said exactly the right things far as I'm concerned.

I think we'll do these now  8)

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2017, 06:26:14 pm »
Chelsea are on pace to win 94 points this season. For me that's just not realistic as simply they're just not that good especially if the Costa issue escalates further.

They will hit the wall at some stage and drop points in couple of consecutive games. City and Arsenal are a joke, they've got tons of issues. One thing is sure though, we'll have to go on a run similar to what we've seen in 13/14. We're perfectly capable of it , the only caveat is keeping our players healthy till the end of the season at least our most important ones.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2017, 06:26:54 pm »
Still doable. Let's start with winning our next two games.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2017, 02:49:56 pm »
Kick in the guts today and I'll leave it to others to pick at the carcass but the fact remains if we beat Chelsea, at worst, we'll be 7 points off the top of the table going in to February.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2017, 02:57:44 pm »
I won't give up on the league title until it's mathematically impossible for us to win, and I hope that's how Klopp and the players feel too. As for top four, I can't see us ending up outside of it.

At the end of the season, top four and a trophy is still a great result for Klopp's first full season in charge, even top four or a trophy by themselves would be. We've improved dramatically under Klopp, and I believe we'll challenge for the league every season he is here.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2017, 03:01:07 pm »
Title is officially gone but considering we were 8th last season and have won only league cup last 10 years , Top 4 and a cup would be an absolutely fantastic season.

There's no point crying too much we haven't won the league this season because - for me at least - it's perfectly clear we will definitely win it under Klopp. There's still a lot to play for and given our rivals will be focused on European football soon it'll give us an edge in the FA cup to really go for it.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2017, 03:03:50 pm »
Title is officially gone

How do you mean by "officially"? Yes, Chelsea are (unfortunately) outstanding this season, and they're probably going to win it, but they've not got it yet.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2017, 03:15:55 pm »
Title is officially gone but considering we were 8th last season and have won only league cup last 10 years , Top 4 and a cup would be an absolutely fantastic season.

There's no point crying too much we haven't won the league this season because - for me at least - it's perfectly clear we will definitely win it under Klopp. There's still a lot to play for and given our rivals will be focused on European football soon it'll give us an edge in the FA cup to really go for it.

I agree with some of what you say - people forget we were terrible in the league last season and have so far improved a great deal. Finishing in the top 4 - particularly in this unique season where any of 6 could finish there - would be a very good achievement this season.

However I'm not sure we will definitely win it under Klopp - we will have to match our rivals in terms of spending to do that and I'm not sure our owners truly understand that. Chelsea and City will keep on spending.

"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."