Author Topic: Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich  (Read 193438 times)

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich
« Reply #1760 on: January 16, 2016, 10:45:15 pm »

:o :champ
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1761 on: January 17, 2016, 08:54:39 am »
I know the league seems a bit of a one horse race, but 2.52 points per game is absolutely fucking crazy by anyone's standards.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #1762 on: January 17, 2016, 12:37:01 pm »
I liked Guardiola back when he was coping with Mourinho. In a way, I'm sure a lot of people gave him a free pass as he seemed the antithesis to Mourinho, which was a refreshing change, both in personality, and in football philosophy.

But I've since gotten a little weary of him, especially since he joined Munich. And I know it sounds strange, considering how immensely successful he is, and how exciting his football philosophy is, but it's true. I was hoping he would have gone to Italy, where there would have been more competition, or even England. But to Bayern? A team that seemingly recovered from the Dortmund resurgence and finished the season with a treble. A squad absolutely brimming with talent, easily among the top 3 in the world.

And now it seems he's destined to join City? In a way, Mourinho and Pep are two sides of the same coin, in terms of how they pick their prospective teams. There's nothing wrong with that, Ancelotti has also done well for himself following the same strategy. But it somehow seems more disappointing when Guardiola does it, at least for me. Probably because I heaped too much respect for him, raised him to a standard which was probably not achievable. I wanted him to manage a team that wasn't guaranteed a top 2 position in the league, or one that didn't have the highest wages and transfer buys in the league.

At the end of the day, how great is his football philosophy, if it's only manifested on the pitch by the world's greatest players. Mourinho was extremely successful with his philosophy, but bar the exception of Porto and their Championsleague run, he also had the world's best players at his disposal. I want to see their hypothesis really tested, when they're managing squads that aren't the most talented in the league. But then again, why should they care? If the opportunities are out there, and you can walk into any managerial seat in the world, why not pick and choose based on risk, opportunity, and possibilities.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1763 on: February 1, 2016, 06:16:21 pm »
Looks like he's going to City. 6 months before the end of the season and both City and Munich players know their current manager is moving elsewhere, and which new one is coming. Strange.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #1764 on: February 1, 2016, 06:36:09 pm »
But then again, why should they care? If the opportunities are out there, and you can walk into any managerial seat in the world, why not pick and choose based on risk, opportunity, and possibilities.

Yes, that would be the wise thing to do.

Its what all top managers do
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1765 on: February 1, 2016, 07:05:59 pm »
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1766 on: February 1, 2016, 07:59:15 pm »
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #1767 on: February 1, 2016, 08:55:07 pm »
I liked Guardiola back when he was coping with Mourinho. In a way, I'm sure a lot of people gave him a free pass as he seemed the antithesis to Mourinho, which was a refreshing change, both in personality, and in football philosophy.

But I've since gotten a little weary of him, especially since he joined Munich. And I know it sounds strange, considering how immensely successful he is, and how exciting his football philosophy is, but it's true. I was hoping he would have gone to Italy, where there would have been more competition, or even England. But to Bayern? A team that seemingly recovered from the Dortmund resurgence and finished the season with a treble. A squad absolutely brimming with talent, easily among the top 3 in the world.

And now it seems he's destined to join City? In a way, Mourinho and Pep are two sides of the same coin, in terms of how they pick their prospective teams. There's nothing wrong with that, Ancelotti has also done well for himself following the same strategy. But it somehow seems more disappointing when Guardiola does it, at least for me. Probably because I heaped too much respect for him, raised him to a standard which was probably not achievable. I wanted him to manage a team that wasn't guaranteed a top 2 position in the league, or one that didn't have the highest wages and transfer buys in the league.

At the end of the day, how great is his football philosophy, if it's only manifested on the pitch by the world's greatest players. Mourinho was extremely successful with his philosophy, but bar the exception of Porto and their Championsleague run, he also had the world's best players at his disposal. I want to see their hypothesis really tested, when they're managing squads that aren't the most talented in the league. But then again, why should they care? If the opportunities are out there, and you can walk into any managerial seat in the world, why not pick and choose based on risk, opportunity, and possibilities.
Really good post.

A glorified Mourinho.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #1768 on: February 1, 2016, 08:55:34 pm »
This thread will need a change of title soon  ;D

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1769 on: February 1, 2016, 09:11:16 pm »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1770 on: February 1, 2016, 09:22:31 pm »
its really off putting how he's turned himself and the bi-annual hunt for his signature into a sort of a prom queen charade with all the biggest clubs his prom king suitors to be.

my respect for him has dwindled, no doubt he's a brilliant manager and a hard worker but it doesnt look like he's ambitious.
won everything at Barca and Bayern, nice, well done. how about a challenge now?

no? just gonna waddle over to Man City and drag them over the CL finish line spending and earning billions? ok..
« Last Edit: February 1, 2016, 09:31:39 pm by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1771 on: February 1, 2016, 09:23:59 pm »
its really off putting how he's turned himself and the bi-annual hunt for his signature into a sort of a prom queen with all the biggest clubs his prom king to be.
I'm sure when he stops winning trophies wherever he goes that will stop.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1772 on: February 1, 2016, 10:11:31 pm »
I just wonder how well he'll do at City. Unlike his previous two clubs, which were packed filled with youth talents and players that had joined due to the allure of playing for pretigious clubs, City isn't a prestigious club. They offer the best salaries, and a shot at a title in a tough league, they haven't advanced to the latter stages of the Champions league, which is generally adds loads of allure and prestige (and exposure).

Will they be able to attract the best players? Or those most willing to join a club with an ambitious transfer budget and high salaries? Are there different answers to both those questions? I think so. I think they'll initially attract the top class players slightly over their peak, and possible youngsters that can't see beyond the cash. But in the end, only so many players can play week in week out, and most players (especially those that aspire to be the greatest) aren't comfortable getting paid to sit on the bench. So I don't think it'll be as easy for them to attract players as some of us think, and attract they must because the current squad doesn't seem tailor made for a Pep team.

As far as his football philosophy goes, I'll be interested to see how it plays out in the Premier league. Teams here are far more comfortable playing off the ball, allowing you to dictate the game, and swarming in on counter attacks whilst waiting for any dead ball situation to pound the penalty box. Will be interesting to see how he responds.

On another note, so glad we've got Klopp in.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1773 on: February 1, 2016, 10:12:41 pm »
I'm sure when he stops winning trophies wherever he goes that will stop.

Let's see how it turns out with Mourinho.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1774 on: February 1, 2016, 10:32:33 pm »
its really off putting how he's turned himself and the bi-annual hunt for his signature into a sort of a prom queen charade with all the biggest clubs his prom king suitors to be.

my respect for him has dwindled, no doubt he's a brilliant manager and a hard worker but it doesnt look like he's ambitious.
won everything at Barca and Bayern, nice, well done. how about a challenge now?

no? just gonna waddle over to Man City and drag them over the CL finish line spending and earning billions? ok..

So? Players dont want to even wait till the end of their teens to win stuff and earn millions. Why should managers?

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #1775 on: February 1, 2016, 10:37:29 pm »

So? Players dont want to even wait till the end of their teens to win stuff and earn millions. Why should managers?

Nobody is saying they can't. But it's taking the 'easy way' out by only going for clubs with tonnes of wonga and a ready made team. So if a few fans knock the lack of ambition I think they are entitled to.

This is why I admire the likes of Klopp and even Van Gaal. They took a challenge.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1776 on: February 1, 2016, 10:44:33 pm »
It's the pure arrogance that he thinks he can come here and assume he'll win everything then carry on with his little mapped out career plan he has for himself. I would love to see him fall on his arse for once but with Arab billions at his disposal, I can't see him having much competition in this league with most other top sides in a mess.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2016, 10:46:29 pm by Bunter »

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #1777 on: February 1, 2016, 10:46:31 pm »

It's the arrogance that he thinks he can come here and win everything then carry on with his little mapped out career plan he has for himself, I would love to see him fall on his arse for once but with Arab billions at his disposal, I can't see him having much competition on these shores.

The Arab billions have been there since day 1. Ok given his track record one would think he's s dead cert, but it's not guaranteed. And there is probably more competition for overall top 6 in England compared to Spain and probably Germany too.

I also would like to see him fall on his smug bilingual arse.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1778 on: February 1, 2016, 10:48:31 pm »
Nobody is saying they can't. But it's taking the 'easy way' out by only going for clubs with tonnes of wonga and a ready made team. So if a few fans knock the lack of ambition I think they are entitled to.

This is why I admire the likes of Klopp and even Van Gaal. They took a challenge.
Surely an ambitious manager goes for the clubs where he's expected to win all the time?

Van Gaal would love to be getting offers from Barca and Bayern at this point.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1779 on: February 1, 2016, 10:49:47 pm »

Scunthorpe share your disappointment. They'd painted his parking space and everything....

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1780 on: February 1, 2016, 10:50:42 pm »
Surely an ambitious manager goes for the clubs where he's expected to win all the time?

Klopp could have easily waited around. He didn't, because he's a manager capable of actually building a team.

Offline wellred82

• Kopite
« Reply #1781 on: February 1, 2016, 10:52:46 pm »

Not really ambitious though when you consider the resources compared with the competition.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1782 on: February 1, 2016, 11:05:09 pm »
It's the pure arrogance that he thinks he can come here and assume he'll win everything then carry on with his little mapped out career plan he has for himself. I would love to see him fall on his arse for once but with Arab billions at his disposal, I can't see him having much competition in this league with most other top sides in a mess.
Why do you think he assumes he'll win everything? What a bizarre comment.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1783 on: February 1, 2016, 11:24:39 pm »
I don't know why people act so silly about him when this will be basically his third club. City have never won a European trophy and only won 4 top league titles in their history. He can really leave his name embedded in their history. He can make history there. Got to have been an attraction.

It's not like he's going into another Bayern Munich either. Chelsea and Man Utd have comparable spending power and should be right up there like Real are with Barca. The rest of the league are loaded too. A top manager wanting to work with top players on a top salary isn't surprising, and I think he could have picked an easier job if he'd wanted, but he wanted the Prem and City gave him the best opportunity. Fair.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1784 on: February 1, 2016, 11:24:42 pm »

what? why should managers what ? he's already won stuff and earnt millions, twice over with barca and bayern, the most surefire risk free two winning clubs in the world right now. he did that, fine, thats cool, respect. what's he gonna do now? show some verve and ambition?

nah, off to the most riskfree and surefire option in England. im not saying he's a fool, im saying i'd have more respect for him if he threw a curveball once in his career.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1785 on: February 1, 2016, 11:25:54 pm »

he hasn't done this though. That's just how it has played out. Everyone looking for a manager would love his signature but its not like he's saying ... "yeah had offers from City, Chelsea, utd etc" ... it;s the clubs and their fans who have turned it into the fiasco that it is.

It's the pure arrogance that he thinks he can come here and assume he'll win everything then carry on with his little mapped out career plan he has for himself.
As lankyguy said, how the fuck have you come to that conclusion?

I've said it before, I'm not his biggest fan as a person, as he comes across as arrogant a lot imo, but some of the stuff on here is fucking hilarious

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1786 on: February 1, 2016, 11:27:43 pm »
Man City is definitely his most challenging job to date. Not really from a league point of view, because the other sides are very ordinary, but if he could win them a Champions League in his three years, he'd have my utmost respect.

If he wins the Champions League with them, you can ban me from RAWK.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1787 on: February 1, 2016, 11:35:04 pm »
If he [Pep] wins the Champions League with them, you can ban me from RAWK.

aaaaand saved

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1788 on: February 1, 2016, 11:39:01 pm »

aaaaand saved

Haha! Tell me you didn't have that saved just for this moment. ;D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1789 on: February 1, 2016, 11:58:13 pm »
Let's see how it turns out with Mourinho.

Pep usually doesn't bring a whole lot of baggage with him.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1790 on: February 2, 2016, 12:03:49 am »
I know the league seems a bit of a one horse race, but 2.52 points per game is absolutely fucking crazy by anyone's standards.

yeas and no, BuLi is much more open, gung ho than other top 4 leagues and Bayern are unequivocally top dog there. he's been there 2 seasons and won most games. not surprising per se.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #1791 on: February 2, 2016, 12:22:31 am »

:o :champ
Where is Heynckes on this , If my math is right he was at 2.11, over three spells, and 2.67 in his final season.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1792 on: February 2, 2016, 12:27:10 am »
Out of interest, where SHOULD pep have gone ?

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1793 on: February 2, 2016, 12:29:31 am »
Javi Martinez insists comparisons of Bayern Munich this year under Pep Guardiola to the one that sealed the treble triumph of 2013 are premature.

Having learned that Pep Guardiola would be replacing Jupp Heynckes at the end of the season, Bayern romped to Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal success and defeated Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League final.

The league leaders are on course to repeat that feat in 2016 and news that Guardiola will be replaced by Carlo Ancelotti later this year have drawn inevitable links to their success three years ago.

Martinez, however, considers such talk to be inaccurate at this stage and has warned of the danger posed by Serie A champions Juventus ahead of their meeting in the last-16 of the Champions League next month.

Speaking at Bayern's training camp in Doha, he told TZ : "This year and 2013 are completely different. It's true that we currently sit very well in all three competitions, but now we have two very difficult games against Juventus.

"They haven't necessarily had the best start to the season but they're in a superior phase right now, both in the Champions League and Serie A.

"They have put together an impressive winning streak, plus they were finalists last year. All this makes them a very unpleasant opponent."

Martinez was a key figure in Heynckes' treble triumph but knee injuries have blighted his career over the past two years in particular.

Yet the 27-year-old, who has recovered to make 17 appearances this term, is confident his problems are behind him and was even disappointed to see the mid-season break bring a halt to a run of matches.

"I feel more comfortable this year. I've still got the memory but it was right here in Doha that I started running again. That was a big step for me," he added.

"If you feel comfortable and are in a rhythm, a break doesn't fall so easily. You want to carry on and continue playing. But on the other hand I know a break will do us good, because the season is still very long."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/725/bundesliga/2016/01/15/19376722/martinez-dont-compare-guardiolas-bayern-to-heynckes-yet

Offline *

• Friend of Obelisk.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1794 on: February 2, 2016, 12:51:00 am »
So those people saying that he took the easy way out when you get headhunted and offered the highest salary in the industry you're gonna reject it and instead go to struggling competitor on half the money just to prove how capable you really are?

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1795 on: February 2, 2016, 01:40:34 am »
So those people saying that he took the easy way out when you get headhunted and offered the highest salary in the industry you're gonna reject it and instead go to struggling competitor on half the money just to prove how capable you really are?

He should be waiting for the Newcastle job, the baldy arse shithouse.

Pellegrini comes across as a sound fella but Guardiola will have a massive job at City. Squad needs a bit of an overhaul, they have been shite in Europe and they've somehow managed to be very indifferent in the league in the last 18 months despite a poor quality league. Their spending power can probably be matched by Chelsea, maybe United in one off circumstances. He's not walking into a team that's smashing everyone 4-0 and picking up silverware whenever they want. If he turns City into a club that powers its way to league titleS and wins the CL it'll be a massive achievement.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1796 on: February 2, 2016, 02:46:16 am »

Yeah I'd love to see him fall on his arse because of all the arrogance he's shown... oh wait, he didn't say or even intimate any of that.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1797 on: February 2, 2016, 02:47:44 am »
Out of interest, where SHOULD pep have gone ?

For a nigh on impossible challenge? 

Everton.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1798 on: February 2, 2016, 02:53:51 am »

With great respect, nobody was offering Klopp and Van Gaal to manage Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Manchester City. Why do you think these wouldn't have gone there? To prove a Liverpool fan correct? Van Gaal gladly accepted Barcelona and Bayern Munich offers.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1799 on: February 2, 2016, 03:01:12 am »
Also, this "challenge" nonsense can also be extended to other managers. Mourinho, Ancelotti... time after time choosing the highest paying club is OK for these ;D

When it comes to Klopp, if you are into "challenge" nonsense, why don't you criticize him for not taking over Stoke City and making them champions? Who is arbitrarily deciding that Liverpool is a big enough challenge but Stoke City are not? It's all "Maradona won titles with Napoli and Argentina by himself" nonsense transferred over to judging managers.

Of course it is stupid to think that Guardiola would take over at Villarreal and make them champions ahead of Barcelona and Real Madrid. There is only so much a manager can do, player quality, squad quality is important in football. Isn't this obvious anyway? The stupidity of dismissing him based on the fact that he didn't take over a shit team and made them giants is mind-boggling. It really is.