Author Topic: Basking in Italy - Juventus Away  (Read 7923 times)

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Basking in Italy - Juventus Away
« on: April 22, 2005, 09:10:11 am »
It's 3.30 am on Thursday 14 April, 2005.  I look around and see my mates Nick, Carl, Alan and Richie lounging around in a hotel lobby, beer in hands and huge grins on faces.  There's no need for words.  We're all basking in the glory.  We've just seen our Liverpool come away with an excellent 0-0 draw against the mighty Juventus to book a place in the semi-final of the European Cup.  We've just knocked out one of the finest teams in Europe, and have reached our first European Cup semi-final in 20 years.  Grinning is the only thing we can do.

This was the first competitive match between Liverpool and Juve since that fateful night 20 years ago at Heysel, where 39 football fans died supporting their team.  The first leg had seen Liverpool offer the hand of friendship to the Italians and the mighty Reds had come away with a deserved 2-1 lead.  Some Juventus fans had decided not to accept the show of friendship, and in my opinion they were well within their right not to.  As supporters of Liverpool Football Club, we too have experienced tragedy and pain, and we are well aware how difficult it is to forgive.  As such, emotions were running high before the away leg, and with the safety of our fans not being fully guaranteed some of our usual group decided against travelling - mostly for financial reasons, but in Bucharest John's case because he wouldn't have been able to last 36 hours without a beer!

So it was that on the morning of the game Carl, Alan, Nick and I landed at Geneva airport, jumped in our hire car and headed out into France.

Objective No. 1 - Get to Italy and Find Hotel

Within half an hour we reached the Alps and drove along a couple of extremely high viaducts.  Carl informed us that he has Gran Turismo 4 on the Playstation and he excels at windy roads such as these.  Cue accelerator to the floor as we took the racing line through the mountains, a hundred or so metres from the ground below.  With Nick and I literally bricking it in the back of the car, Alan asked Carl whether he ever crashes whilst playing on the computer.  Carl's reply bred confidence:

"Sure, but whenever I go off the edge of the road I just hit the reset button."

"That's OK then.  So when I can see the valley floor rearing up towards me I'll pull my Playstation controller out of my arse and press the reset button then should I?!!"

Luckily Carl relented and slowed down slightly, allowing us to take in the view.  Absolutely fantastic.  I've never driven through the Alps before, and felt like an excited little kid seeing lots of snow and big mountains.  Some of them really were pretty big.  As the road wound up to Mont Blanc we reached a junction - left took you round the Alps through a pass, and right cut out 2 and a half hours of your journey by taking you through an 8 km tunnel.  Right it was then, as we needed to get a wriggle on.  We reached the toll booth and pulled up.

"One return ticket please. We're coming back tomorrow."
"Yes sir, that will be 40 euro"
"No no, just the one ticket please. We don't know the people in the cars behind us!"

40 euro!!  Bloody cheek.  And the tunnel wasn't even that good.  For that kind of money I expect the car to be driven for us by naked ladies!

Out the other side, and we sped off down hill towards a beautiful little Alpine town called Aosta, where we checked in to our hotel.  Objective No. 1 - Completed.

Objective No. 2 - Safely get to Ground

After a quick scrub, we drove on through the slightly flatter terrain of Northern Italy and reached Turin airport for 6 o'clock, leaving us an hour and a half for a few beers and some fine Italian cuisine.
Unfortunately Turin's 2 day drinking ban included the airport, whilst Italy's fine cuisine stopped at its doors.  At a loss we sat round a table and devoured a warm pizza each, some ice cream and a couple of coffees.  What a way to spend the hours leading up to a European Away game!

With boredom setting in, we jumped into a taxi and asked our chauffeur to take us to the ground, with strict instructions to drop us directly outside section "Est 3", to lock the doors, and not to stop for anyone.  The traffic on the slip road leading to the ground was bad, and so progress was slow and painful.  A few Italian lads with scarves round their faces were walking up and down the road looking into cars and coaches, and so all four of us slunk down in our seats trying to hide (we don't look the most Italian) half expecting our taxi driver to wave the lads over offering them the chance to give us a kicking.  This didn't arrive, and 15 minutes later we were standing outside section "Est 3" of the Stadio della Alpi.  Bumping into Lee, Ali, Sarah, Brenda and Christine we walked up towards our gate, and after a quick frisk during which we were given a Liverpool - Juve wristband we were directed into the lower tier of this massive ugly ground.  Objective No. 2 - Completed.

Objective No. 3 - Watch Game and Progress to Semi's

The Stadio della Alpi is huge, but it looks dilapidated and ugly - just a big concrete structure miles away from the city.  The Juventus fans were waving huge black and white flags and were holding up a variety of banners.  I'm sure you've seen some of them.  "You are uglier than Camilla" made me laugh, but most of the others weren't quite as humorous.  With half an hour to go before kick off, the teams came out on to the pitch to warm up.  To the right of us the Juventus fans started taking an interest in our fans, and within seconds a whole barrage of coins, seats, poles and bottles came flying over the fence towards us.  As the media monkeys turned around to take a few snaps, we all moved back out of the firing line half expecting the police and stewards to take a hard line with the masked Juve fans.  Watching events unfold in Milan the night before, this was perhaps a little unrealistic and so it proved as the stewards simply grabbed each perpetrator and shoved them back in to the crowd.  After 10 minutes of this, a few lads on our side of the fence started getting restless and so returned the items over the divide.  This swapping of recyclable material, currency and stadium furniture continued up until kick off, when the mindless idiots from each side decided to watch the game.  Everyone that is apart from one lad who spent the whole time staring at the stand to our right.  I'm sure he believes his trip was money well spent.

We looked good for our 0-0 lead at half time, and although Ibrahimovic missed a sitter early on, we had a couple of good opportunities ourselves.  Biscan was again proving that this team of ours isn't totally reliant on Stevie G, Alonso showed us what we've been missing this season, and Riise looked a constant threat.  Half time provided another opportunity for the exchange of goods, whilst a small minority of our followers decided that it might be a good idea to try and fight with our own stewards.  Quite what this would have achieved is beyond me, but I'm sure there was a reason for it.

The second half saw the Mighty Reds take the game to the "Old Lady" in the early stages.  Baros could, and probably should have scored, whilst Sami and Carra were performing heroics to keep Juve's now three-pronged strike force at bay.  With time ticking on, and my nails chewed to bits, Dudek and Crazy Legs somehow managed to divert a header against the post before squeezing it out of play.  Cisse came on to a huge applause to try and stretch the Juve back line, and with every Liverpool fan urging the referee to blow for time he did so.  A small section of three tiers in the ground went crazy - everyone jumping up and down, hugging each other, kissing each other, and singing their hearts out as the team celebrated on the pitch.  Our team, the Liverpool that everyone had written off, were in the European Cup semi-finals.  And the basking could begin!  Objective No. 3 - Completed.

Objective No. 4 - Return to Hotel and Bask

As the home fans disappeared, everyone sat down and smiled.  Two young lads started collecting all the loose change kindly donated by the Italians, and when I told one of them that it was past his bed time, he replied "Bollocks to bed - I'm going gambling!"  At around midnight we were allowed to leave the ground, and made our way to coaches to take us back to the airport.  Despite hearing rumours of Juve fans fighting with riot police before the game and other tales, I personally thought the game was policed very well.

Back in our car, we drove away from Turin and back to Aosta.  It felt very odd travelling away from a European away game sober, whilst texts and phone calls from back home came flooding through from extremely drunk friends.  Desperate for a beer, we stopped off at a petrol station near our hotel, grabbed a few cans and a few minutes later retired to our hotel lobby to drink and bask.  Objective No. 4 - Completed.

© Olly 2005
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 02:09:36 pm by Rushian »
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Basking in Italy - Juventus Away
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 09:21:18 am »
Good stuff lad.

Offline shankstheman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 09:29:56 am »
Nice one Olly.

Been waiting for a first hand account.

"Chairman Mao has never seen a greater show of red strength." Bill Shankly

"The difference between Everton and the Queen Mary is that Everton carry more passengers!" Bill Shankly

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 09:37:27 am »
Carl informed us that he has Gran Turismo 4 on the Playstation and he excels at windy roads such as these.  Cue accelerator to the floor as we took the racing line through the mountains

Jesus, that's scarier than all the Champ Man idiots telling us who we should sign  :o :o :o :o
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 10:10:20 am »
Really vividly-written report as ever  Olly, made me feel that was the sort  of experience I'd have had if I'd been there. Thanks.

Offline Cookie-7-

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high, there will be a golden sky
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 10:17:40 am »
Nice report, thanks for that.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 10:54:59 am »
Having gone towards the wrong gate and then having to make our way to EST3 against the flow of the Juve crowd, we were trying to keep our heads down and not stick out as British.  Things like not talking loudly were on the agenda, until a shout of "alright Lee" comes from Olly across the car park  :o ;)

(that was the most useless frisk I have ever experienced, not one coin confiscated  ???)
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline Jimbo.

• Skint
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 11:06:41 am »
Things like not talking loudly were on the agenda, until a shout of "alright Lee" comes from Olly across the car park  :o ;)

;D

Classic
Quote from: Dan_L
Chester is in chesirte, trasmneraeeeee is in wirral dfivo 1adand lpoolis merseydie lpoo2-1 everpuyokton |BluESHITE!!!!!!wert sr76yipeeeeeeeeeeeee113wt4aee

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 11:08:01 am »
Hi,

Great read!

Thanks!
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Joe C

• Kopite
  • use your head hicks
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 11:09:58 am »
Great report.

I've just come back from skiing in Aosta
RTK

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 11:20:57 am »
Having gone towards the wrong gate and then having to make our way to EST3 against the flow of the Juve crowd, we were trying to keep our heads down and not stick out as British.  Things like not talking loudly were on the agenda, until a shout of "alright Lee" comes from Olly across the car park  :o ;)

(that was the most useless frisk I have ever experienced, not one coin confiscated  ???)

:lmao :lmao

brilliant post!

especially loved the bit when your mate was driving gran turismo style! but, didn't he tell you that you can't fall of the edge in that game?!  ;D maybe that's why he thought he was so good  ;).

i've been waiting for a first hand acount of the game, and as expected thoroughly enjoyed reading it- also, wasn't it you and your mates who held their own press conference at the bay arena and "took" some training tops?!
 ;D- classic.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Jimbo.

• Skint
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 11:39:50 am »
wasn't it you and your mates who held their own press conference at the bay arena and "took" some training tops?!

That'll be us ;)
Chester is in chesirte, trasmneraeeeee is in wirral dfivo 1adand lpoolis merseydie lpoo2-1 everpuyokton |BluESHITE!!!!!!wert sr76yipeeeeeeeeeeeee113wt4aee

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 11:42:29 am »
That'll be us ;)

;D, those pictures were brilliant  ;D
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline LadyLala

• Legacy Fan
  • la dee daa
    • lala's RED world
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 11:45:14 am »
:)
I enjoyed reading it.
I never know how I'm supposed to respond to "What's up?"

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 11:56:02 am »
Sober.  Tsk.  Did you not think to buy some cans in France you soft bastards ?

Cheers for the report though Andy

Offline El mooro

• Compo of the Opera
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "A Bastion of Invincibility"
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 12:01:25 pm »
Sound that, Olly.
Daft Little Ground, Silly Game, Eff Off!

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 12:07:32 pm »
Piss off Dave!

Thanks everyone - sorry it took a while to get it written. I haven't got any photo's of the trip as none of us took a camera this time. If anyone has any decent ones of the ground and our end (seen a few in the Euro away forum) any chance you could e-mail the original pictures to me?
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Offline A.C Torino

• Main Stander
  • No juve, please...
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2005, 12:29:05 pm »
Again, forever...

THANK YOU!   ;D

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 12:42:09 pm »
Nice one Olly, summed it all up really.

really funny bit was when one of the bells went to throw something and you grabbed his arm and called him a dickhead. The look of shock on his face was fuckin priceless.

Laughed me arse off at that bit.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2005, 12:46:11 pm »
sorry it took a while to get it written.

Probably because of the hangover mate.  :P

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 01:00:47 pm »
Nice one Olly
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Kirsty

• Has a list of older men she'd like to 'wotsit'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @kirstycurran
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 01:16:15 pm »
Quality mate.  I think you should stay sober ever game, that report was ace ;D

Offline Jimbo.

• Skint
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 01:22:44 pm »
Quality mate.  I think you should stay sober ever game, that report was ace ;D

Not if I can cowing help it!

Offline the brad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2005, 01:27:00 pm »
reports from London and Istnbul to follow no doubt ;D

Offline Chris.

• Official Panini Swapper
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2005, 01:53:51 pm »
Class report ;D

Offline mulane

• rouge
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2005, 01:58:15 pm »
;D, those pictures were brilliant  ;D

what pictures are those and where are they??

Offline mulane

• rouge
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2005, 02:00:33 pm »
By the way, does anyone know why "no new lfc topics" appears under my name!!!! im obviously not allowed post new topics but what did i do!

Offline SmithdownAndy

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC. Did You Really Think We Would Leave You Dying
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2005, 02:12:19 pm »
great stuff Olly and glad you all got home safe and sound, them roads through the alps can be treachorous  ;D ;D
Rest In Eternal Peace Ray (shanklyboy) - Gone but will NEVER be forgotten

Offline Tiger Tony

• Ginger knob who used to be barred from the Crows Nest. Will scweam and scweam and scweam if he doesn't get a Cardiff ticket. Aluminium. Thinks he's clever.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2005, 02:40:23 pm »
By the way, does anyone know why "no new lfc topics" appears under my name!!!! im obviously not allowed post new topics but what did i do!
I am sure there is a place for such questions.I dont think it is in the opinion thread either talkin about a trip to juventus!

Offline mulane

• rouge
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2005, 05:13:19 pm »
I am sure there is a place for such questions.I dont think it is in the opinion thread either talkin about a trip to juventus!

This wasnt an opinion thread when it first started! and also how am i supposed to ask when i cant post new topics, i have to use existing threads!!

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2005, 06:53:32 pm »
That'll be us ;)

Even in RAOTL as well.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2005, 08:22:13 pm »
Cheers, great read.
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2005, 09:35:06 am »
Nice one, Olly!  :wave

Offline Bren1892

• Badge Queen - Goes in through the window and lands in the kitchen
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Got fed up with Liverlady.....
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2005, 11:55:05 am »
That was a really good read Olly.   :wave     
YNWA
JFT96

Offline symbol17

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2005, 10:10:28 am »
great report Olly, I see you forgot to mention that on our back to the hotel, Alan nearly drove us into a barrier on the bend!!  I think that puts my superb driving skills through the Alps into prospective.  ha, ha.