Author Topic: Christmas fixtures 2017  (Read 5254 times)

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Christmas fixtures 2017
« on: January 4, 2017, 02:23:23 pm »
Gary Lineker ‏@GaryLineker

If you think this PL holiday fixture list is mad, here's next year: December 16/20/23/26/30 January 1. World Cup follows. Utterly Bonkers.

Good job Premier League, way to think of the fans...lol.

Those are the scheduled dates. Then tv will chime in and there will be football about every day after Christmas when they move matches around.

Not to mention, save your money for so many matches in a short period of time.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline TheSpionKopNC

• Main Stander
  • Boom
Re: Christmas fixtures 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 4, 2017, 03:42:56 pm »
saw that mentioned on twitter yesterday.

That's way too many matches in a short period of time.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2017, 03:45:07 pm »
Here is hoping (well, not really) a couple of non-LFC English players get season ending injuries due to playing so many games and end up missing the WC.

Online Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2017, 03:49:45 pm »
saw that mentioned on twitter yesterday.

That's way too many matches in a short period of time.

1/6th of the season played out over 16 days apparently

Utter madness.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #4 on: January 4, 2017, 03:50:34 pm »
Good job Premier League, way to think of the fans...lol.
They are thinking of the fans? Just not the players and clubs.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: January 4, 2017, 03:54:00 pm »
They are thinking of the fans? Just not the players and clubs.

He was being sarcastic. In no way is that many games in that many days thinking of the match going fan. Arm chair fans maybe.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2017, 04:06:21 pm »
Food for thought not only do players get tired a thought for the officials too hence the many mistakes maybe.Hopefully more officials will be deployed.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #7 on: January 4, 2017, 04:17:54 pm »
I've got to concur with what Tony Barrett said yesterday and that clubs need to take this up when doing the next PL tv deal.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #8 on: January 4, 2017, 04:29:08 pm »
There should be a change in the rules. Minimum time between two kick offs of 66 hours - that allows a Wednesday 8pm to be followed by a Saturday 3pm - which is reasonable.

Make it a regulation and it minimises the disproportionate impact of the fixtures. TV can tend be curtailed in the damage they can do.

There is not reason even those fixtures could not be arranged with a minimum interval between games.

They can have an extremis clause in the event of multiple postponements - but we have not got close to those conditions yet - frozen or unplayable pitches are now a rarity.

Offline matt_lfc

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2017, 04:30:51 pm »
Would the clubs care? There getting x amount of millions out the tv deals.

If am right in thinking from what I've read that this season the team that finishes bottom is getting more than Liverpool did 3 years ago when finishing 2nd out the tv deal money?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2017, 04:33:43 pm »
Would the clubs care? There getting x amount of millions out the tv deals.

And they still would get those millions (let's be honest, the deal isn't the size it is due to being able to shoehorn an additional fixture in over Xmas), they'd just also be able to safeguard the health of their players.

So yeah, they'd definitely care.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2017, 04:46:04 pm »
Klopp had it spot on. What is the purpose of playing on the Monday? None were even on TV except Leicester-Boro. Why couldn't all games have been on today? Sky could still broadcast Spurs, no big deal. It's a fucking joke, no regard of the fans or players. Next season we'll need a bigger squad to cope because we cannot keep playing the same XI, it's unsustainable and could have serious repercussions towards the run-in. This season there's no Europe so we might get away with it.

I'd even be tempted to forfeit the match if we get another game within 48 hours next season, see how they fucking like that.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 4, 2017, 05:04:33 pm »
Is that every team playing on those days or is it just the ways the 3 or so fixtures are spread?

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 4, 2017, 05:27:57 pm »
Klopp had it spot on. What is the purpose of playing on the Monday? None were even on TV except Leicester-Boro. Why couldn't all games have been on today? Sky could still broadcast Spurs, no big deal. It's a fucking joke, no regard of the fans or players. Next season we'll need a bigger squad to cope because we cannot keep playing the same XI, it's unsustainable and could have serious repercussions towards the run-in. This season there's no Europe so we might get away with it.

I'd even be tempted to forfeit the match if we get another game within 48 hours next season, see how they fucking like that.

All were on tv...just not where you live.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #14 on: January 4, 2017, 05:29:59 pm »
There should be a change in the rules. Minimum time between two kick offs of 66 hours - that allows a Wednesday 8pm to be followed by a Saturday 3pm - which is reasonable.

Make it a regulation and it minimises the disproportionate impact of the fixtures. TV can tend be curtailed in the damage they can do.

There is not reason even those fixtures could not be arranged with a minimum interval between games.

They can have an extremis clause in the event of multiple postponements - but we have not got close to those conditions yet - frozen or unplayable pitches are now a rarity.

Totally agree.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #15 on: January 4, 2017, 05:41:44 pm »

Totally.

Also hard to understand why TV needs to be affected at all.
We still have huge clumps of fixtures on the same day - just space them out more but have fixtures on more days so that teams are guaranteed the minimum rest period you suggest.
TV can still pick games and get the same amount of fixtures over the holidays

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #16 on: January 4, 2017, 06:13:06 pm »
All were on tv...just not where you live.

Yep. Niko from Serbia could watch it fine at home. Remi and Sven from Sweden caught it at the pub, Brock and Thad watched it with their morning OJ in the good ol' US of A, but the local people who want to go to the games, but can't as there's been 4 in a week... fuck them.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #17 on: January 4, 2017, 06:32:06 pm »
I've got to concur with what Tony Barrett said yesterday and that clubs need to take this up when doing the next PL tv deal.

It's bad product for viewers to watch. The league should not allow this sort of scheduling.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #18 on: January 4, 2017, 07:09:55 pm »
350 more sleeps till the next pile of shite
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Sir Afghan

• "I, Stan!" Has the softest beard.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 4, 2017, 07:14:24 pm »

Much rather play a game away at Sunderland on a bank holiday than a work day.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #20 on: January 4, 2017, 07:18:15 pm »
Sadly,the powers that be whether thats the FA or Tv rights/deals will always take the fucking piss til the fans stand up & together across the country tell them to fuck off.
Managers have complained about this it seems forever & does anyone listen?
The only time people listen is when it affects their pockets.
SP spot on with the 66hr scheduling.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #21 on: January 4, 2017, 07:25:19 pm »
I can understand Sky / BT wanting to show a certain amount of games over the festive period but there's no reason why the matches can't be spread out over those dates so that there's at least 1 game per night but not as many fixtures per club.

Although this is what this bumper TV deal gets you - the power's shifted.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 4, 2017, 07:44:48 pm »
Don't have a problem with the fixtures. My main problem is they're not fair.

Chelsea for example played their games over 10 days and didn't have to go outside of London.

Everyone should play on the same day.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 4, 2017, 10:24:32 pm »
The simple thing is to take the 20 teams, cut them in half.

5 matches on one day, 5 matches the next.

Take the 10 teams that played the first day, give them 3 days, and swap them around. Then another 3 days, swap them again.

No team gets the advantage of rest.

Do the same for the other 10 teams from day 2, give them 3 days, and swap them around. Then another 3 days, swap them again.

Fixture list and tv  are all sorted.

Further try to get the 10 teams sorted by geography so the supporters aren't travelling back and forth across the country.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 4, 2017, 10:58:03 pm »
Gary Lineker ‏@GaryLineker

If you think this PL holiday fixture list is mad, here's next year: December 16/20/23/26/30 January 1. World Cup follows. Utterly Bonkers.

Most of those are just Saturday/Wednesday/Saturday etc. That should be fine, and assuming we're back in Europe next year we should be used to it.

The only bit that's tough is the Dec 30/Jan 1 double round. Whoever gets the last game actually on Jan 2 or 3 will be the lucky ones.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #25 on: January 4, 2017, 11:05:38 pm »

Chelsea for example played their games over 10 days and didn't have to go outside of London.

this

exactly this.

the Chelsea scenario is terrible especialy given the close competition between us and them and the contrast in our fixtures.

utd have a day on us also next PL game ok its not a 44 hr turnaround but still a huge game given current standings

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #26 on: January 5, 2017, 02:44:17 am »
Most of those are just Saturday/Wednesday/Saturday etc. That should be fine, and assuming we're back in Europe next year we should be used to it.

The only bit that's tough is the Dec 30/Jan 1 double round. Whoever gets the last game actually on Jan 2 or 3 will be the lucky ones.

SATURDAY December 16
WEDNESDAY December 20
SATURDAY December 23
TUESDAY December 26
SATURDAY December 30
MONDAY January 1

Three games in seven days on occasion might seem okay, but there are two sets of three games in six days here which is utter, utter madness.

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #27 on: January 5, 2017, 06:20:36 am »

That is exactly the point. I started a thread exactly on this subject were I argued about this. I believe that they can cram as many games as they want as long as it is fair.

Obviously there will be injuries with so many games, so they really cannot fit as much as they want but every fixtures day should see all teams play a game. This shit of some playing on different dates to accommodate the tv scum is bollocks.

If the TV companies are paying the money, the clubs are offering the attraction that is in turn earning the TV companies much more then they dish out.

Also for next year, if fuckin England wants to favor the national team, they can slot a mid week evening FULL fixture somewhere were there is no CL, europa league or national teams play. If they do this once or twice it should also alleviate the burden on the Christmas period.

I know this is not fair on the fans, especially the traveling lot, but somewhere somehow, there needs to be the disruption.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline matt_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: January 5, 2017, 09:00:27 am »

Palace never left London in all there games, yet Allardyce still moaned about it, maybe because they didn't win any of them...

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #29 on: January 5, 2017, 09:05:41 am »

Completely. I understand that TV moves fixtures around although I have missed a couple of games this season because of this irritant. But when its not on TV why was it put on that date when there are other games on weds? Baffled.
I understand we asked to move it but it was rejected?

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #30 on: January 5, 2017, 09:14:48 am »
Can't see there being games on the 20th

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 5, 2017, 09:32:47 am »
And it's any wonder English players lack sharpness when they end up at international tournaments? This is just a stupid amount of games in this timeframe. All it does is take away quality from the league.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #32 on: January 5, 2017, 11:57:29 am »
He was being sarcastic. In no way is that many games in that many days thinking of the match going fan. Arm chair fans maybe.
By armchair fans you mean the millions that aren't at Anfield for every game. Not really their fault we have more than 54,000 fans is it. Don't see how this is an issue for fans when we pay the money for most tickets up front in membership sales anyway regardless of when they're scheduled. It's bad on the players due to injuries and clubs due to disparity in rest time but having football to watch and/or go to during the festive period is hardly a negative for fans.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 5, 2017, 02:07:07 pm »
SATURDAY December 16
WEDNESDAY December 20
SATURDAY December 23
TUESDAY December 26
SATURDAY December 30
MONDAY January 1

Three games in seven days on occasion might seem okay, but there are two sets of three games in six days here which is utter, utter madness.

To put this in perspective. Over the same time frame this holiday season we had ---4--- matches. Not 6.

They are squeezing in the extra fixtures to help England and their World Cup chances by having the League end a bit earlier.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 5, 2017, 02:09:47 pm »
idiotic - so many injuries waiting to happen.

Offline d1ward

• Kemlynite
« Reply #35 on: January 5, 2017, 02:18:30 pm »
Would be ironic if some English players picked up injuries around Christmas that affected their participation in the world cup.

Online Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 5, 2017, 03:21:43 pm »
SATURDAY December 16
WEDNESDAY December 20
SATURDAY December 23
TUESDAY December 26
SATURDAY December 30
MONDAY January 1

Throw in a potential league cup quarter final and final round of champions league games at the start of the month, and coming off international games mid Nov too

Offline quinny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #37 on: January 5, 2017, 04:10:18 pm »
To put this in perspective. Over the same time frame this holiday season we had ---4--- matches. Not 6.

They are squeezing in the extra fixtures to help England and their World Cup chances by having the League end a bit earlier.

They should start it earlier.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #38 on: January 5, 2017, 04:11:45 pm »

They should fuck right off!

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #39 on: January 5, 2017, 04:43:54 pm »

They should end the season at the usual time, England will fall on their arses whatever they do.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now