Author Topic: The Level 3 Thread  (Read 1190208 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
yorky - has anyone seriously suggested masch would be our new play maker if xabi goes? 

It's all mad speculation, I know. But here's three of our well-respected regulars from the previous page....

Assuming it'd be Barry for Alonso- and a Barry/Masch partnership, I'd expect one of those 2 to drop back though. Masch does it, and mostly quite well.

I honestly don't think Sneijder would be brought in to play on the left and would probably be a swap for Alonso (transfer wise).

Sneijder hasn't played there for Hollland or Madrid for a while but when he did he was magnificent.

What it would mean is that Mascherano can stay back while Sneijder goes forward

It would require another switch to the system but not quite as drastic as what we looked to do last summer. You could play a Dutch style 4-3-3 with Sneijder and Gerrard either side of Masch, hopefully alternating who picks up the ball from deep and who joins up with the attack. It's what Barca do to a certain extent with Iniesta and Xavi.

To be fair Baz and Juan, at least, hate the idea of losing Xabi Alonso and Baz adds that Masch has his "lapses" collecting the ball from the back. But I'd go further than this. I'd say he's not very good at receiving the ball with pressure from behind and that after a couple of his "lapses" he goes into 'hide' mode - as lots of otherwise excellent midfielders do when the pressure is on. Last season, for example, 'hide' mode lasted for several months - not surprisingly these were the months that Xabi was in 'crippled-mode'.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It was not "hide" mode, yorky but Gerrard insisting on coming back and trying to take the ball from the defenders feet and carry it upfield by himself. I felt there was a lack of trust between Gerrard/Masche which is why their partnership doesn't work most of the time. Lord knows, it's not for hiding that Mascherano can be accused of. Sometimes he tries to do too much which leads to mistakes but he does not shirk.

And in all those quotes, staying deep doesn't mean that Masche would be doing what Xabi is currently doing in being an outlet for our defenders. I think they meant it in more of an attacking sense. If the other CM goes up to support the attack, Masche would stay back and look out for the counterattack. Just as he and Xabi sometimes do when Agger wants to run up with the ball. At least that's the way I read Juan Loco's post which seems to be about Sneijder and Gerrard taking turns to run up with the ball from the back.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline josemisuncle

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
It's all mad speculation, I know. But here's three of our well-respected regulars from the previous page....

To be fair Baz and Juan, at least, hate the idea of losing Xabi Alonso and Baz adds that Masch has his "lapses" collecting the ball from the back. But I'd go further than this. I'd say he's not very good at receiving the ball with pressure from behind and that after a couple of his "lapses" he goes into 'hide' mode - as lots of otherwise excellent midfielders do when the pressure is on. Last season, for example, 'hide' mode lasted for several months - not surprisingly these were the months that Xabi was in 'crippled-mode'.

I read what they were saying as a change in style to something more direct and Mascher and Sneidjer would do that doble pivote thing rather than suggesting that Mascher would be a playmaker.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Ah, "the double pivot thing". That's different.

;D
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
The illusion that Macherano can master the role currently played by Alonso is touching. I'd give him 3 games before the crowd was on his back, big time. 

No one will appreciate that more than Rafa - unless its the player himself.
Quite correct. They are two entirely different players who happen to play in a similar area.

Thinking you can 'learn' to see a game, slow it down, control it the way Xabi does is every bit as ridiculous as believing Xabi could 'learn' Mascherano's pace, drive and stamina.

If it was that simple why are there so few players who can do it?
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
Bobby Moore, Franz Beckenbauer, Franco Baresi, Fernando Hierro, Ronald Koeman... ;)
But they werent the best on thier team though. Especially Hierro, Baresi and Koeman....The other 2, well, lets say that Agger might not end up being as good as those 2  :P

Why are we even discussing the possibilities of Xabi leaving? He's not, he's staying.

It would be stupid beyond belief if he was allowed to leave.
Thank you. Its kinda like all the talk about John Terry and Lampard leaving Chelsea a few months back. Lets be honest, they were never going to leave and it was just a story based of myth and fear ( Chelsea fans perspective ).

Facts are:
1) Xabi loves Liverpool
2) Rafa Benitez wants Xabi
3) Rafa Benitez isnt a fool. Christ he has had the best seat in the house all season...do you really think he doesnt understand what is happening out there?
4) We are not a selling club.
5) Our fans need to calm down.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
It was not "hide" mode, yorky but Gerrard insisting on coming back and trying to take the ball from the defenders feet and carry it upfield by himself. I felt there was a lack of trust between Gerrard/Masche which is why their partnership doesn't work most of the time. Lord knows, it's not for hiding that Mascherano can be accused of. Sometimes he tries to do too much which leads to mistakes but he does not shirk.

The defining characteristic of our play last season when Alonso was injured can be summed up by the most evil 4-letter word in English - "Hoof". Neither Gerrard nor Mascherano had the appetite nor the specific skill to patrol in front of the back four, make space, get the ball, turn, build. That's not surprising. It's f*cking difficult. The result was we had half a season of hitting the ball long from the back (accentuated, it should be said, by Agger's simultaneous absence from the team).

When Alonso came back for 60 minutes v Arsenal it changed instantly, and we played some great stuff. Then he got injured again and it was back to the hoof.

Gerrard and Masch are brilliant players. I love em both. But neither is equipped to play from the back. In fact with Mascherano the most common pass you'll see when he's in the deep, playing the Alonso role, is the one-two with Carragher. Carra gives it to Masch who's facing him, Masch doesn't turn, Carra gets it back.

Then the 'hoof'.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
To be fair Baz and Juan, at least, hate the idea of losing Xabi Alonso
It's not that I'm pushing Xabi out it's more of a if he goes he goes and Rafa knows what he's doing (I hope).

In the ideal world Lucas would be sold, and if Barry must be brought in it'd be for a small net fee (if we buy him for 9 and sell Lucas for 6 it's only 3 million) and we magic the money for Sneijder and other boss players out of somewhere - but as it is if we want to get a playe rlike Sneijder we need to cash in on Xabi and if that's what Rafa wants I'll stand behind him.

If our midfield 3 was
------------Masch--------------
----Xabi-----------Sneijder----

It'd be a great midfield 3 but the more you think about the more you think how unlikely it is that Barry is being brought in as a sub and that Gerrard will be pushed out wide in a front 3.

but if in front of them you had:
Gerrard----------------------Benny
---------------Torres---------------

I won't complain, but to be honest I can never ever see that happening.

I don't want Xabi to go but I don't want him to stay at the cost of Rafa's future plans to advance the team.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
That's fair enough Degs, though as a football philosophy it amounts to little more than 'whatever Rafa does I will go with'.

In one sense, as fans, we have no choice. It's our club and will be our club long after Alonso - and Rafa - have gone. We're stuck with it and the decisions are all made for us.

But I think were also entitled, as fans, to say that certain decisions stink. This is especially true if they are only potential decisions which can be changed. I know it annoyed some supporters, but one of the great moments of the last 12 months was when the Kop told....Rafa? the football world generally?....that 'you can stick yer Gareth Barry up yer arse'. Yes, great moment. Just like when the Kop told Sir Bob that he was mad for wanting Eric Gates to replace Craig Johnston. I'd say the fans were right both times, and the managers were wrong both times.

So, if needs be, I'd be hoping the Kop does the same again.

Oh, and for the record, I'd rather have Lucas than Barry.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I think Masch's definitely improved that side of his game- but he's just not as calm as Xabi. In fact, I'd say no footballer we have is as calm as Xabi when in possession on the edge of our own box upto the halfway line, and when under pressure. I'd be hard pressed to name one in Europe as well actually. Xavi and Pirlo are the 2 names often mentioned, but in England and playing directly in front of our defenders? Xabi's better...

But I do think if Xabi went Masch would be the one who drops deep to get the ball from the defenders and moves it on.

And in all those quotes, staying deep doesn't mean that Masche would be doing what Xabi is currently doing in being an outlet for our defenders. I think they meant it in more of an attacking sense. If the other CM goes up to support the attack, Masche would stay back and look out for the counterattack. Just as he and Xabi sometimes do when Agger wants to run up with the ball. At least that's the way I read Juan Loco's post which seems to be about Sneijder and Gerrard taking turns to run up with the ball from the back.

But your talking about a completely different scenario. Holding your position whilst the ball is in front of you is different to when you hold your position and make yourself available when the ball's behind you (with the defenders). Masch is great at covering when the ball's in front of him- whether it be the fullbacks or Xabi or Agger (as you say). Even Stevie's done that well when he's played CM this season- holding to allow the other CM to take the ball forward (be it Xabi or Masch).

But it's not that side we're talking about.

We're talking about the times when the ball's with Carra or Agger, and the midfielder that needs to drop back in support and to take the ball and move it on. It's a completely essential pivot in our football but is less important when Agger's playing. When Skrtel and Carra are playing, it's essential that we have that midfielder who drops deep to collect the ball off them. In this role, Xabi's the best player in Europe for me- better than Pirlo and Xavi who he's normally compared to. Masch doesn't do this near as well and nor does Stevie. But if Xabi was to go, then I think Masch would need to step into that role when needed- and if Agger becomes 1st choice then it'll probably be a less important role as well.

We're also talking about this 'pivot'. For us, the hub of our football seems to be Xabi. For other teams, that player is mostly in a more advanced position- Xavi for Barca, Lampard for Chelsea, Fabregas for Arsenal... Sneijder would be that player if he came here instead of Xabi. Our 'pivot'- the 'grand circulator' of possession would simply move from a deeper position to a more advanced one. Naturally, the opposing teams will realise this and try and shut us down further up the pitch... now, they all know Xabi, from deep, is the player to stop- so he's always under pressure in that position. But next season, if Xabi goes, we get Sneijder in (or any other player who controls possession from advanced positions) the player who drops deep to collect the ball from our defence will face less pressure on the ball- they'll all be marking Sneijder further up the pitch (or whoever we get in)!

So, that's why I think Masch could do a job there- he wouldn't have as much pressure.

Wouldn't it be great though, if we have a player like Sneijder AND Xabi in the side? How the fuck would opposition teams stop us then from keeping good possession? It's why Spain are so great in my opinion- Xabi, Xavi and Fabregas especially keep possession so well.

I've not mentioned Gerrard here because he's just not that kind of player- he's more about getting on the end of passes from these types of 'pivot' players, rather than being the one whose aim it is to solely keep possession in attack. He has to make things happen with runs, shots, through balls... not simple passes. It's probably the reason why Yossi can't do that for us either.

Interestingly, I was watching a documentary earlier about 'Network theory'- it was fascinating and based on the 6 degrees of seperation theory- everyone on earth is linked by a string of 6 people. It's available here and one of the features of this network is 'hubs'- the few people who know a lot of people that make these 'links' smaller. It's been applied to other networks- the electric grids, human cells and the internet... with the hubs being sites like Google, holding so many links to other websites... Anyway- link to football? Well, these pivot players are hubs. I bet if you analyse the passes to these players, they're going to be passed to, and passed from, the most in the team. Xabi, Xavi, Fabregas, Lampard, Sneijder (I think?)... they're the 'hubs' with the 'network' being the players on the team.

For example- the theory goes that many strings of passes will feature such a player- if a ball from Reina is going to end up to Torres, it's likely Xabi will be involved somewhere along the line.

The question is, is Masch one of these players? A player who will get passed to the most and move possession on quickly? If he is, then he could theoretically replace Xabi. If not, we'd need to get someone else in like Sneijder to be that 'hub' of possession for us.

As for Network theory in general- it's fascinating- if you have the time, watch that programme. The 6 degrees of seperation was always something that intrigued me but I thought it was false. Turns out that is just not the case- there's also an interesting experiment in there to prove it!

When applying to the world of football- it's not a great fit because the football 'world' on the pitch is only consisting of 11 players! But you can still notice patterns- how some footballers have more 'links' than others. Guardian chalkboards have a stat which shows how many passes a footballer gets and from which positions, and also the positions he passes to. I reckon Xabi would be the one with highest number of positions passed to ('links') and passed from. That's why he's so important- or at least, a player like him. When one player is out the team who has few 'links' in the team, the team can easily function without him. But if a 'hub' is out, then the system actually collapses. We can easily appreciate that if we do a thought experiment on what would happen to a team if Xabi was out (or Xavi for Barca, Lampard for Chelsea, Fabregas for Arsenal... etc).

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline TheRedBull

• 4x1=5
  • Legacy Fan
What make people think we are going to sell Xabi for Barry??? Can't we have 4 quality CMs (Masch, Alonso, Lucas, and Barry?) People has to remember that Gerrard is not a CM anymore.

Manc currently has 6 CMs on their book (Carrick, Hargreave, Anderson, Fletcher, Scholes, and now Giggs.)

Chelsea has 5 (Ballack, Mikel, Deco, Essien, and Lampard.)

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
That's fair enough Degs, though as a football philosophy it amounts to little more than 'whatever Rafa does I will go with'.

In one sense, as fans, we have no choice. It's our club and will be our club long after Alonso - and Rafa - have gone. We're stuck with it and the decisions are all made for us.

But I think were also entitled, as fans, to say that certain decisions stink. This is especially true if they are only potential decisions which can be changed. I know it annoyed some supporters, but one of the great moments of the last 12 months was when the Kop told....Rafa? the football world generally?....that 'you can stick yer Gareth Barry up yer arse'. Yes, great moment. Just like when the Kop told Sir Bob that he was mad for wanting Eric Gates to replace Craig Johnston. I'd say the fans were right both times, and the managers were wrong both times.

So, if needs be, I'd be hoping the Kop does the same again.

Oh, and for the record, I'd rather have Lucas than Barry.

Hey I was there and while I didn't sing "You can stick Gareth Barry up yer ass", not many people did, I was certainly part of the thousands strong there screaming my head off for Xabi Alonso, and for him to stay.

And if it does look like there is a direct replacement for Xabi coming in and it's of the quality of Barry then I'll be pissed off again but at the minute we seem to be writing off any replacement of Xabi before they have even been identified.

I trust in Rafa to make the right decisions and while he gets the odd one wrong, like Robbie Keane, his transfer record is second to none - and it might be a cliche and an overused one at that but In Rafa we Trust is a motto that's been clinged to because of his previous dealings.

Players of the quality of Sneijder, and let's throw a few more names in there the likes of Cambiasso, De Rossi, you get the picture, who are of of a high quality enough to be given a chance before we say "ah but you're no Xabi Alonso" and if Rafa is to get rid of Alonso in favour of new type of approach then so be it.

I'll be sad to see Xabi go, fuck knows when he's out now you can virtually write off picking up 3 points, but I know Rafa isn't soft and if he does plan to get rid of Xabi it's because he's got somebody or something (different formation) in mind that he thinks will win us the league.

After the progression he's made with the club we shouldn't be standing in his way when he's trying to bring in top quality players, even if it is at the expense and existing world class player, because we should know he's got something whirring in his head that we can't see.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just been trying to find that Guardian Chalkboard stat of a player's passes: passed to and passed from. But I can't find it (and I'm sure I've seen it there)... any idea? I want to see how much of a passing 'hub' Xabi is now and compare it to other players in our team and also other teams!  ;D
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
Hey I was there and while I didn't sing "You can stick Gareth Barry up yer ass", not many people did, I was certainly part of the thousands strong there screaming my head off for Xabi Alonso, and for him to stay.

And if it does look like there is a direct replacement for Xabi coming in and it's of the quality of Barry then I'll be pissed off again but at the minute we seem to be writing off any replacement of Xabi before they have even been identified.

I trust in Rafa to make the right decisions and while he gets the odd one wrong, like Robbie Keane, his transfer record is second to none - and it might be a cliche and an overused one at that but In Rafa we Trust is a motto that's been clinged to because of his previous dealings.

Players of the quality of Sneijder, and let's throw a few more names in there the likes of Cambiasso, De Rossi, you get the picture, who are of of a high quality enough to be given a chance before we say "ah but you're no Xabi Alonso" and if Rafa is to get rid of Alonso in favour of new type of approach then so be it.

I'll be sad to see Xabi go, fuck knows when he's out now you can virtually write off picking up 3 points, but I know Rafa isn't soft and if he does plan to get rid of Xabi it's because he's got somebody or something (different formation) in mind that he thinks will win us the league.

After the progression he's made with the club we shouldn't be standing in his way when he's trying to bring in top quality players, even if it is at the expense and existing world class player, because we should know he's got something whirring in his head that we can't see.

Barry, is almost done, or at least that's what the rumor is about (and from more than one source). For all purposes, if we do get a CM, it will be Barry.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

royhendo

But they werent the best on thier team though. Especially Hierro, Baresi and Koeman....The other 2, well, lets say that Agger might not end up being as good as those 2  :P

Ask their managers of the time and they would disagree with you.

Thank you.

My pleasure mate ;)

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ask their managers of the time and they would disagree with you.

Not even sure that Baresi was the best in that back four,

but your point is well made.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2009, 08:50:41 pm by Red number seven »
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

royhendo

I'd respectfully suggest that Maldini developed at the master's side. Baresi, during Sacchi and Capello's time, was their general.

royhendo

Karma - it's a funny thang. ;D

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64

Impressed (for once) with Souness tonight, “Football’s an emotional game”  - dead right it is.

He was also right to point out the paradox of Chelsea feeling – possibly with some justification - aggrieved at the (crap – were all agreed?) ref turning down Chelsea penalty claims, yet the result being the right one over the two legs (and by implication, for football as a whole).

So,

KARMA Mr. Drogba.

KARMA  Mr. Malouda.

KARMA Mr. Essien

KARMA Mr Abramovitch.

(I had Ł30 on Chelsea @ 5/1, and have never been so happy to lose a bet)

Btw – dare I say I think I was right about both Alves and Pique. I think Alves is over-hyped – his delivery, like his temperament, is consistently crap. Pique is gonna be some player.

Oh and Toure. He did play in the back line Degs – and did a number on that horrible Ivory Coast twat; some monster, eh?
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
So there we go, Barcelona and United in the final.

Envious? Of the fact that they're in the final - undoubtedly. Of their teams? No. Not really.

It's a strange sensation for a Liverpool fan who grew up in the 90s to be able to look at the two teams in a Champions League final and not be particularly jealous of the quality they have at their disposal. It's not like this is Porto and Monaco either. These are the two best teams in Europe. And yet, I'd probably take as many players from their team to put in ours as they would from ours to put in theirs. Squad wise? That's a different issue, but I'm hardly breaking new ground by suggesting that where we fall down by comparison is in the strength of our squad.

Today I've read both Kuyt and Gerrard say that they expect to win the league soon. It's not a deluded belief anymore. It's not thoughts borne out of the fact that we've suckerpunched the best teams in Europe. It's down to the fact that we've battered them from pillar to post.

We'll strengthen in the summer, hopefully in the first 11, and thus make some of those currently in the first 11 squad players, and bloody good ones at that. We'll probably add a few around the squad and in the youth and reserve teams as well.

We probably wont win as many games from behind next season. We shouldn't have to. The penny has dropped. The mentality has shifted, at least in the last few months. We know that whatever happens, we can fight back from it, but we we shouldn't have to as much.

We probably wont do the double over United and Chelsea in the league again. It doesn't matter. The important thing is that we've now shown that we can beat them. Home and away. We're not going to get 14 points from the games against the other 'big 4' teams each season. United don't and Chelsea don't. The task now is to make beating these guys a consistent thing. 9-10 points at least each season. No finishing bottom of the mini league with 4 points.

We shouldn't have to win as many games late on next year. But, if we have to, well we know we can do it. We know we're not done until the final whistle is blown. You can score a heart-breaking winner in the 89th minute to kill our hopes of the title, and before full time is up not only will we have equalised but we'll be pushing for a winner of our own.

There is quality in this team, and unbelievable bottle. None of that phoney manufactured pre-match huddle bollocks that you find at second rate clubs like Arsenal. Semi-finals aren't over after 10 minutes of the second leg with Liverpool. You can put 3 past us at Anfield, have one foot in the semi-final, and you'll still have your heart in your mouth come the 89th minute of the return leg. And even then, when you score the winner, you still have to clench one last time as the ball is desperately hooked off your goal line.

It's a Rafa Benitez team now. You don't keep them down easy. You can go back through 5 years of European competition and you'll not find a single two legged tie that was over before the last minute of the match. Benfica? Needed a late goal to be certain. Chelsea needed a late 7th, and the year before the clung on despite getting a two goal advantage into injury time. Milan? You can guarentee they were clenched until the final whistle in Athens.

You don't beat this lot without leaving every last bit of yourself out on the pitch. It just doesn't happen. Infact, comebacks are becoming such a regular feature of this side that teams are visibly becoming edgier when they have the lead. You swung first, hoped for a lucky punch and yet all you did was give the Liverpool behemoth a bloody nose. You're fucked.

This summer is really going to grind. It already is.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
If I had to mix the 3:

----------------Reina-----------------

Alves-----Agger---Vidic-----Aurelio

---------------Masch-----------------
------Gerrard---------Xavi----------

Messi-------------------------Ronaldo
--------------Torres------------------

(Iniesta doesn't get in because he's not better than Gerrard).
There's no doubt for me we have the better team but they have much better squads - if we had Gerrard for the Chelsea game it could be alot different.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2009, 12:53:04 am by Degs »

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
I'd take Evra over Aurelio.
ynwa

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
I'd take Evra over Aurelio.
Not me, can't defend.  At least when Fabio has somebody coming at him he can put in a tackle.
I'd have Milito before Evra.
If you're going to have Alves in your team you certainly can't have Evra anyway.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
92nd - another pound on the heart of Terry, Lampard, Drogba & co -beautiful  ;D   

Out of topic:  What does it mean for Hindink?  Will he stay now? 

Offline NIGLIV

• Kemlynite
  • v6
Chelsea's long ball tactic to Dropba (the only way they play) ended when he was subbed. Anelka couldn't do the work he did and they fell to pieces rarely looking as dangerous and with pique left to roam free. We all hate the diving Dropba, the focal point of Mourinho's chelsea (which Hiddink modified), but I'll hold my hand and say he is a player I'd avoid at all cost when on form, he single handedly destroyed us.Seriously I'd rather we face Messi than this guy.  I can now conclude they are a one and half man- team ( the half being Lampard, doesn't half turn up does he?).
« Last Edit: May 7, 2009, 02:57:43 am by NIGLIV »
we had a poor game against 1 balloon but we were brilliant against 11 of them

Offline josemisuncle

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
When applying to the world of football- it's not a great fit because the football 'world' on the pitch is only consisting of 11 players! But you can still notice patterns- how some footballers have more 'links' than others. Guardian chalkboards have a stat which shows how many passes a footballer gets and from which positions, and also the positions he passes to. I reckon Xabi would be the one with highest number of positions passed to ('links') and passed from. That's why he's so important- or at least, a player like him. When one player is out the team who has few 'links' in the team, the team can easily function without him. But if a 'hub' is out, then the system actually collapses. We can easily appreciate that if we do a thought experiment on what would happen to a team if Xabi was out (or Xavi for Barca, Lampard for Chelsea, Fabregas for Arsenal... etc).

The telegraph match reports flash thingy has the data you'd need to build the graph.  In fact they have a visual representation as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/

Look down at the bottom right "Match Statistics" there's a little flash widget, choose preferred passes.

I can't see that program on network theory, but if it is just common or garden graph theory, I think it's limited for football purposes because graphs can't show the sequence of the connections i.e. which pass came first, second etc and there is usually only one connection between each node so you only have aggregate information.

How were you thinking they could be useful, it'd be an interesting academic exercise to try and model?

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
Some good posts on this page and the last regarding LFC with Alonso and LFC without Alonso.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
Exactly.

Comes around what go does.

It's very difficult to feel sorry for Chelsea.  Their behaviour at the end sums them up.

royhendo

A quicky on the chalkboards Baz - I did this myself the other day with Xabi and comparing him with Barry, and all it really tells you is that Villa don't always play as strict a zonal system as we do, and that they don't have the same passing emphasis we do. People will cite Barry as a cause, but I'd argue his role is as much symptomatic as it is causal.

"Footbaw's a team game, Saint."

Here's the chalkboard (although do the chalkboard for another Villa game and there's a closer correlation).

It's one of the few times I've seen a chalkboard really highlight a disparity.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
I don't think we could match the €24m (Etoo), €24m (Henry),  €35m (Alves),  €15m (Abidal), €5m (Pique), €12m (Hleb), €10m (Keita), €20.5million (Milito), €16.5m (Caceres),  €5m (Marquez), €15m (Gudjohnsen) transfer fees.

They can basically risk loads of money on a player, and if he doesn't fit him in just try another of their big money signings in order to eventually find the right player to fill a position, there is over 80 million Euros there spent on defenders, when you think the most we've ever spent on a defender is about 10 million Euros you see how if you want good football you have to pay for it.
I agree to an extent Degs but I refuse to accept that without huge amounts of money 'total football' cannot be achieved or you cannot have success.

Let's take the example which you have used; Barcelona.  Looking at last night's Semi-Final, the Barcelona starting XI had (basically) 6 home grown players (Valdes, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi and Messi).  That is 6 players which they have spent little or no money on.  They have come through the youth system and have the Barcelona ethos embedded in them.  They have grown up with the club and fully adopted it's culture.  They are part of the club.

Obviously, the additional funds help bring in quality but Barcelona are bigger than that.  'More than a club'.  Whereas, the likes of Chelsea and Real Madrid have spent more but currently have the wrong ethos.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd respectfully suggest that Maldini developed at the master's side. Baresi, during Sacchi and Capello's time, was their general.
I wouldn't argue with that, but you said he was the best footballer, and now you're opening it up to "general" you rascal. I disagree that he was a better footballer than Paolo.

I do acknowledge, though, that we are dancing on a pin head a bit, as I suspect we both think both were world class. Both would have a fair chance of getting into an all time (or at least last 35 years) world XI, in my opinion. I just happen to think Maldini was the better technical footballer of the two.

royhendo

Ah, "the double pivot thing". That's different.

;D

Well, you'd hope any functioning pivot in life would be able to rotate 360 degrees ;D

The telegraph match reports flash thingy has the data you'd need to build the graph.  In fact they have a visual representation as well.

Look down at the bottom right "Match Statistics" there's a little flash widget, choose preferred passes.

I can't see that program on network theory, but if it is just common or garden graph theory, I think it's limited for football purposes because graphs can't show the sequence of the connections i.e. which pass came first, second etc and there is usually only one connection between each node so you only have aggregate information.

How were you thinking they could be useful, it'd be an interesting academic exercise to try and model?

Totally agree with this mate - good call by the way.

I was reading this debate last night and wishing one of the 'events' on the Chalkboard list was 'received passes'. You could reverse engineer it but it'd take you forever.

I didn't realise you could do that on the Telegraph site - that's interesting. It'd back up everything that Yorky's saying, and provide an insight into the stuff Baz is talking about. Clearly there are other sides who play an effective passing game and build from the back, so it'd be interesting to compare and contrast that graphically, wouldn't it?

That said, the raw Telegraph stats show who the main 'pivot' players have been over the course of the season (Alonso, Denilson, Mikel, Lampard... then in the other sides people like Murphy and Greening).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rankings/2510186/Premier-League-Statistics.html

The ones who have gravitated to the top happen to be the ones who've played in the main passing teams, albeit it's skewed - we'd ideally need stats per 90 minutes to allow a like-for-like comparison (that'd mean players like Essien and Carrick would move up in comparative terms you'd think).

The other key point is that Carragher, Terry, and Vidic are all up there too, and that's the flip side that illustrates the key point Yorky's making I think - that the centre halves in good teams see a lot of the ball, and that they need a consistent outlet as a result. It's a key position in the build-up as well as in defensive terms, and a key relationship (or set of relationships) on the field. The defender, ideally, has good feet and passing technique, and can move the ball quickly, and the deep-lying midfielder (or midfielders) must be calm enough and brave enough to make room as an option for that centre half, and to turn into play and build from that position.

We have the best in the world for the second aspect, and arguably the best for the first. If you add another midfielder whose ability gets close to Xabi's in that respect, and another centre half whose technique and clarity of mind get close to Agger's at his best, then things get easier, and to an exponential degree. Instead of one option to close down, the opposing team suddenly has at least three to contend with in that area.

That also makes life far easier for the ball carrier, and means it's safer to increase the distances between each player, doesn't it? It's a kind of risk management dilemma - we're then given the option of being (literally) more 'expansive' in our play. It would become safer for our shape to 'expand'.

Which brings me to this little gem... :)

Wouldn't it be great though, if we have a player like Sneijder AND Xabi in the side? How the fuck would opposition teams stop us then from keeping good possession? It's why Spain are so great in my opinion- Xabi, Xavi and Fabregas especially keep possession so well...

...Interestingly, I was watching a documentary earlier about 'Network theory'- it was fascinating and based on the 6 degrees of seperation theory- everyone on earth is linked by a string of 6 people. It's available here and one of the features of this network is 'hubs'- the few people who know a lot of people that make these 'links' smaller. It's been applied to other networks- the electric grids, human cells and the internet... with the hubs being sites like Google, holding so many links to other websites... Anyway- link to football? Well, these pivot players are hubs. I bet if you analyse the passes to these players, they're going to be passed to, and passed from, the most in the team. Xabi, Xavi, Fabregas, Lampard, Sneijder (I think?)... they're the 'hubs' with the 'network' being the players on the team...

...As for Network theory in general- it's fascinating- if you have the time, watch that programme. The 6 degrees of seperation was always something that intrigued me but I thought it was false. Turns out that is just not the case- there's also an interesting experiment in there to prove it!

Now - this is an interesting thing to bring in. That's exactly the point Sacchi was making when he talked about 'whoever has the ball is the regista', and how that increased your options exponentially.

The more players you add with good movement off the ball, good technique on the ball, and a calm head that makes good decisions on the ball, then the easier the whole thing becomes. This is the point Yorky's been making all year about Kuyt, and regardless of how well he does or how far he progresses, it'll always be there with him. The same with Carragher.

royhendo

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Talking of centre backs I was mightily impressed by Pique last night. What a blessing that Man Utd sold him on. I'd say he was definitely Agger-class with the ball at his feet. The fact that Barca didn't miss being a man down was largely due to his ability to join midfield and link play high up the pitch. And like Agger his first touch was often enough to eliminate a lurking forward nearby.

By contrast Toure was a 'hider'. At times he seemed unable to move with the ball at his feet.

royhendo

I wouldn't argue with that, but you said he was the best footballer, and now you're opening it up to "general" you rascal. I disagree that he was a better footballer than Paolo.

I do acknowledge, though, that we are dancing on a pin head a bit, as I suspect we both think both were world class. Both would have a fair chance of getting into an all time (or at least last 35 years) world XI, in my opinion. I just happen to think Maldini was the better technical footballer of the two.

I'd agree with that dude - so yeah, we're shadow boxing.

All I'm saying is that Sacchi would have rather played without Maldini than he would without Baresi. I'm basing it on this stuff below. The 'best player' in the coach's mind isn't always the one with the best technique, or the one accepted as a genius. It's the one who always does his 'basic task', and who coaches others on the pitch to do theirs.

Michels (quoted in the o.p. here):

The team tactical manpower in the centre of the field (central defenders, midfielders and striker) is of great importance. During the build-up, the tactical coherence between the central defenders who must be thinking of playing the ball forward, the attacking midfielders and the central striker is very precise work. When possession is lost, it starts in the opposite direction.

Then the stuff on the 'basic task', and on how important Koeman was to him in 1988... and, paradoxically, how Gullit, who many felt was their best player (although there were a few decent players there eh?), was actually doing Michels' head in.

« Last Edit: May 7, 2009, 10:07:35 am by royhendo »

royhendo

Talking of centre backs I was mightily impressed by Pique last night. What a blessing that Man Utd sold him on. I'd say he was definitely Agger-class with the ball at his feet. The fact that Barca didn't miss being a man down was largely due to his ability to join midfield and link play high up the pitch. And like Agger his first touch was often enough to eliminate a lurking forward nearby.

Totally - did you see him on Saturday mate? I tell you, if you've not seen it then you'll enjoy it when it's up on that server. A feast for your eyes I reckon. :)

Offline lookieman

• Kopite
Roy, the discussion about Baresi and Maldini had me thinking on Carra and Agger. Can one safely conclude then that from the preceding articles and discussions that despite Agger being the more talented player, Carragher is actually the more important player in Rafa's Lverpool since he can carry out his basic task and not get "distracted".

royhendo

Roy, the discussion about Baresi and Maldini had me thinking on Carra and Agger. Can one safely conclude then that from the preceding articles and discussions that despite Agger being the more talented player, Carragher is actually the more important player in Rafa's Lverpool since he can carry out his basic task and not get "distracted".

You have to think that's the thought process that goes through Rafa's head to some extent anyway Lookieman, although there are a few of us on here who reckon Rafa's scared of dropping Carragher for fear of a backlash. Nobody really knows I guess but for me at least, Carra's been just as prone to neglecting his basics this year as any other centre half, if not more.

It's hard to know really isn't it? I think everybody agrees Carra hinders our build up, bar the odd flash of quality (like the ball he played to Torres against Blackburn).

I think Alves is over-hyped – his delivery, like his temperament, is consistently crap.

Saying that, when the moment of truth came, it was Alves who closed down Lampard on the edge of their own box, then burst a lung to get down the right, then controlled nicely and swung his one ball of genuine quality of the night into the middle... and four touches later the ball was in the net. :)

People were saying on here last night that Man U will destroy that side, but I'm not so sure. They were under the kosh there against one of the best counter attacking sides in the world, and they kept playing their game until the very end. They played what was in front of them and they won with a weakened side.

That's level 3, no?

Luck's a factor though - luck be a Norwegian psychologist toniiiight. ;D

By the way - Iniesta was quality. The goal was like the goal he scored against England at Old Trafford the other year - but the way he battled out from the edge of his own box and drove them on was impressive.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2009, 10:54:48 am by royhendo »

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
Robinred has highlighted him as potential earlier in this thread.

The jury is still out for me.  I don't think he moves the ball with the same fluidity as say a Marquez or our own Agger.  His passes are sometimes underhit and I think he is helped by playing in an excellent technical side and one which promotes pass and move, as are the likes of Toure and Keita.  He moved into midfield because that is what he has been taught rather than through talent/ability, while you will see somebody like Carragher adopt a 'safety first' approach despite acres of space in front of him (Houllier's methods have not been fully beaten out of him).  I also see him as a potential weakness when they are (rarely) forced to defend.  Let's see what United do.

I'm probably being overly harsh as he is still quiet young.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Thanks for that- it's what I was looking for (must have confused the Telegraph one with the Guardian one!)

As for this network stuff- I wouldn't know how to formally model it from an academic sense, but I used the idea of 'hubs' to these players to highlight the fact that it's the different positions they pass to and from rather than just the number of passes completed.

Carra could sit in defence playing 1-2s with Agger and both would get their pass stats up... but Xabi passes to everyone and everyone passes to him. He's the link player- the 'hub'.

http://footballstats.telegraph.co.uk/PlayerStatInd.aspx?PlayerID=3786&league=50

there's the handy stat I was looking for. Hover over the player's names and it tells you all the players that passed to and got passes from that player, and the number of them.

The thing that strikes you about Xabi is the sheer number of passes to/from every player in that list. Carra, for example, has a handful of playing only the 1 pass- and they're to strikers- so I guess it's the long balls.

Another one to look at is the 'Balls by zone'- Xabi passes everywhere and actually seems to be getting forward more now it seems.

Compare to Gerrard's passes by zone- and he does nearly all his work in attack these days, which we expect to see of course. And Masch- more passes in attack than Gerrard's in defence but still doesn't seem as 'diverse' as Xabi.

I'd love to compare these stats- they're nothing more than an insight... but crucially, from only one match (the Newcastle one for the above- a game where we weren't defending- so maybe skewing my point about Gerrard somewhat). If there was a way to see over a season perhaps, then maybe we could draw stronger conclusions from it.

Saying that, I bet we can all forget the stats and just pick out who we'd think these 'hub' players are just from a subjective standpoint. Xabi, Lampard, Denilson's a good one... all players who pass the ball to a lot of their teammates and get it back from a lot too.

So I think it's important to consider how many passes a player plays and accuracy etc... but also take into consideration how many passes that player makes to different teammates in different areas of the pitch.

In Xabi's case- I'd expect him to pass to a lot of defender and attackers, and get the ball from defenders more than attackers. Because he plays deep. Lampard, on the other hand, may get the ball from defenders more than attackers but play it to more attackers than defenders. The point is- the composition of passing changes when the 'pivot' player's position is different (comparing Pirlo and Xabi to Xavi and Lampard for example).